‘23 FL SG Ray Allen III (URI Preferred Walk-on)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: ‘23 FL SG Ray Allen III (URI Preferred Walk-on)

Unread post by Rhody15 »

SGreenwell wrote: 11 months ago
The Dude wrote: 11 months ago Allen III averaged 9.9 points, 5.9 rebounds, and 1.4 assists per game over 28 games played this past season for Gulliver’s Prep while averaging 14.6 minutes a contest. - per Max Preps and USA Today Article
Thats not bad for 14 minutes.
Eh, the fact that he's only logging 14 MPG for a prep team that his dad coaches kind of makes me temper my expectations. They also went 17-12 overall, per MaxPreps, although you have to pay for a subscription if you want to see box scores. I think this is solely taking a flyer on a guy, which is fine, considering we're talking about a preferred walk-on role and not using an actual scholarship on him.
Nobody should have any expectations for this kid to make any sort of impact.

He’s a walk on equivalent to Jimmy Ball, Parnell Pierre, Will Leviton, etc.
2 x
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I’m here for the publicity and maybe an autograph from his dad.
0 x
GO RAMS
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

If I want to have expectations, then I’ll have expectations on whatever player I choose.

That said, I haven’t seen ANYONE in this thread place any expectations on RA3.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 11 months ago If I want to have expectations, then I’ll have expectations on whatever player I choose.

I also haven’t seen anyone refer to him as RA3.

It’s harmless, but the amount of people here who give kids nicknames when nobody calls them that is pretty funny.
0 x
Go Rhody
RIsVeryOwn
Jim Eitner

Unread post by RIsVeryOwn »

Couple years ago (possibly pandemic?) Ray would post his sons playing basketball vs each other and at the time it seemed like the younger one, Walker, was going to be the truth. Unfortunately looks like he’s only 5’6 as a sophomore.

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 11 months ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 11 months ago If I want to have expectations, then I’ll have expectations on whatever player I choose.

I also haven’t seen anyone refer to him as RA3.

It’s harmless, but the amount of people here who give kids nicknames when nobody calls them that is pretty funny.
UCONN Huskie Fan calling him RA3
953549F8-A7D7-418B-83CD-F7ACB11D1B45.jpeg
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The Dude wrote: 11 months ago Allen III averaged 9.9 points, 5.9 rebounds, and 1.4 assists per game over 28 games played this past season for Gulliver’s Prep while averaging 14.6 minutes a contest. - per Max Preps and USA Today Article
Eh, the fact that he's only logging 14 MPG for a prep team that his dad coaches kind of makes me temper my expectations. They also went 17-12 overall, per MaxPreps, although you have to pay for a subscription if you want to see box scores. I think this is solely taking a flyer on a guy, which is fine, considering we're talking about a preferred walk-on role and not using an actual scholarship on him.

Were Ball, Pierre and Leviton brought on board as Preferred Walk-Ons? I don't think so.

I don't see Ray Allen III being equivalent to those 3 players, but as a Preferred Walk-On and son of Ray Allen Jr he is a step up or two. Certainly from a Basketball Interest Story Ray Allen III is a nice story for URI. There was plenty of buzz and interest when Ray Allen attended URI games last season in the Ryan Center.

Has URI ever had a Preferred Walk-On in MBB before? I don't recall any but maybe I missed them.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ramster wrote: 11 months ago

Were Ball, Pierre and Leviton brought on board as Preferred Walk-Ons? I don't think so.

I don't see Ray Allen III being equivalent to those 3 players, but as a Preferred Walk-On and son of Ray Allen Jr he is a step up or two. Certainly from a Basketball Interest Story Ray Allen III is a nice story for URI. There was plenty of buzz and interest when Ray Allen attended URI games last season in the Ryan Center.

Has URI ever had a Preferred Walk-On in MBB before? I don't recall any but maybe I missed them.
Jameson Smith also a preferred walk-on
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Are we now using recruiting walk-ons?

Does this have anything to do with NIL and essentially creating a 14th and 15th scholarship?
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I would suggest it’s about making practices more competitive. If these guys can earn meaningful minutes even better. Makes perfect sense to me.
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Jameson needs a famous dad, so he can get more attention.

Preferred walk-ons are not a new thing. They’re not on scholarship or a way to game the system to get more scholarship-level players. No one is expecting them to play (sure, walk-ons can, for example, play in all 6 of their team’s tournament games, which is fun but not to be expected!). The benefit is the players come to the school knowing they’re going to be involved in the basketball program and the coaches know who’s going to be on the end of their bench and that they’ll likely have solid practice/scout team players who aren’t going to be a problem.
6 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Eric Youncofski and I think Shane Plunket were preferred walk ons
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Rhody Guy wrote: 11 months ago Eric Youncofski and I think Shane Plunket were preferred walk ons
Also Rex Sunahara
viewtopic.php?t=5535
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 11 months ago

Hurley recruited Shane Plunkett from NJ as a walk on.
0 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

They seem to have become a "thing" within the last 8-10 years.

Dan did it with Youncofski, Plunkett and I think Dadika too. All kids that had NJ roots I believe and likely some relationship with DH.
All the preferred means is they aren't participating in an open tryout and are guaranteed a spot. This isn't trying to game anything.
In the past there were open tryouts for walk-on roles.

At the end of day they are the 14th, 15th guys on the depth chart and nothing should be expected of them.
I think given that, awarding one of your spots to the son of a legend, is nothing but a good thing for the program.
5 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Maybe we could have offered Tyson Wheeler, Jr. a preferred walk-on spot.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 11 months ago Maybe we could have offered Tyson Wheeler, Jr. a preferred walk-on spot.
I thought he had one more year of high school but could be wrong.
0 x
Go Rhody
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

bigappleram wrote: 11 months ago They seem to have become a "thing" within the last 8-10 years.
I think the term is new, as a way to describe the practice. I also want to say that it started with football programs, but I'm not sure about that.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

It's difficult for a preferred walk on to rise up the depth chart, because even if he comes in some point and drills 2 threes in a limited amount of time, people will traditionally just chalk it up to doing it in "garbage time" when the other team doesn't have their starting players in.

Maybe in this case he'll have more of a fan following than they typically do, so if he does come in and perform well, it may be less likely to be dismissed or overlooked. People might even clamor for the coach to put him in, if he trends well.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Oh there is a 100% chance that at some point this season we'll have a game where we shoot like 15% from 3 and there will be a post or two on here asking why we don't give Allen a chance to help out our shooting. And it'll be hilarious.
6 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Of course, everybody here seems to think that he has the 3-point shooting prowess of his father.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RAM67 wrote: 11 months ago Of course, everybody here seems to think that he has the 3-point shooting prowess of his father.
Yes, because that is inherited. :lol:
1 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

5 days ago I said the following.......
Before you know it he will go from being a preferred walk-on to the starting rotation and sinking 3s every time he touches the ball!!!!

I guess it happened before the season start....NCAA tournament here we come
1 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

If we are dreaming about a walkon getting any serious minutes for a good team unless every other division 1 team missed on this kid we are in deep trouble. Nice story but I am hoping to see him because we are blowing someone out.
2 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Agreed. Still not bad...just not great either. It will be fun to see how much he improves year to year. I have no expectations.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

The Dude wrote: 10 months ago
Agreed. Still not bad...just not great either. It will be fun to see how much he improves year to year. I have no expectations.
Or...hopefully there are enough good/better players on board so that no one knows whether the walk on improves or not?
0 x
RhodyBB91
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RhodyBB91 »

Ray is transferring, best of luck at his next landing spot!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

The only thing that sucks about this is that his dad won't be at our games next year.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Will he go to Uconn to replace A Hurley ?
0 x