‘21 NY SF Brandon Weston (Seton Hall ---> URI ---> ??? )

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Re: ‘21 NY SF Brandon Weston (Seton Hall >>> URI Transfer)

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
sbrand wrote: 1 year ago My comparison could definitely be an overreach but let’s not include all-time greats in that list that were not heavily recruited. I just spent a half a day researching him and watching video that surprised me as to how great of a recruit we are getting. And he played against some of the best but Rhody fans know better than anyone how ratings at the end of the day really can mean very little until they perform at the next level. One thing is for sure, this kid has all the tools to become someone really special that can potentially take over a game.

Only time will tell.
Scott, I agree and nothing wrong with your enthusiasm about him.
Aside from some of the few blue-chip recruits it is always a gamble to see how these kids pan out.

I also have watched video on him and am also very familiar with SH growing up near their campus.

I was ecstatic with the Archie hire and almost as much with bringing in Duane Woodward.

Like I said Weston is capable of being special here (along with some of the other recruits) and am really looking forward to your interview with his HS coach.
I agree as well with what others have said…the tools and potential are there and, compared to the last few years, my confidence in the current staffs ability to assist players in reaching their potential is very high. So for me, many of the ingredients are in place for Weston to eventually play at a very high level here.

I’ll add this (not player specific but in general)…we have had 3-4 All Americans at Rhody? It sure would be nice to add a few more. Not likely but it’s possible. Toppin did it at Dayton and for me, I didn’t see that coming during his first year or so there. Why not us? Good time of year to dream.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I think it's important to consider who is doing the evaluating and development when trying to project these Top 100 recruits. Take Hurley for example, of the 4 Top 100 recruits he brought into URI, all had success - EC, Terrell, Kuran, Stan. Now, look at the 4 Top 100 recruits Cox brought in during his tenure - Harris, Mitchell Twins, Carey, all four failed to live up to expectations, especially Harris who flopped in a major way. I trust the talent evaluation Archie has done with Weston and Archie has shown the ability to develop kids at Dayton so my expectations are high for Weston. I think he will be a day 1 starter and a cornerstone for the rebuild.

As far as I can tell, Archie never brought in a Top 100 recruit during his time at Dayton, the highest rated being Dyshawn Pierre. Pierre was a four year starter for Archie and solid contributor from the start.

I'm hopeful Archie has found a four year starter in the mold of Dyshawn Pierre or Jared Terrell. Time will tell.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

STC wrote: 1 year ago I think it's important to consider who is doing the evaluating and development when trying to project these Top 100 recruits. Take Hurley for example, of the 4 Top 100 recruits he brought into URI, all had success - EC, Terrell, Kuran, Stan. Now, look at the 4 Top 100 recruits Cox brought in during his tenure - Harris, Mitchell Twins, Carey, all four failed to live up to expectations, especially Harris who flopped in a major way. I trust the talent evaluation Archie has done with Weston and Archie has shown the ability to develop kids at Dayton so my expectations are high for Weston. I think he will be a day 1 starter and a cornerstone for the rebuild.

As far as I can tell, Archie never brought in a Top 100 recruit during his time at Dayton, the highest rated being Dyshawn Pierre. Pierre was a four year starter for Archie and solid contributor from the start.

I'm hopeful Archie has found a four year starter in the mold of Dyshawn Pierre or Jared Terrell. Time will tell.
One thing I feel comfortable with about Archie.
If Weston starts it is because he earned it, not because he was promised anything by the staff.
3 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago If he had the potential to be the 2nd best player to ever play at URI, he'd be the star at Seton Hall (or better) for the next few years.
Plenty of people at Seton Hall thought he could be their star. He was their highest-ranked recruit in over 5 years. Then, he got hurt, and he moved on. But, that doesn't mean he loses all his potential. I'm not saying he will be our 2nd best player ever. But, honestly, players like Sly, Odom, Tyson, and Mobley are all exceptional in their own ways. I don't even bother with ranking them. They are all in that hall of fame tier that's very hard to reach.

Didn't we bring on Archie Miller to bring us to the next level? Didn't we bring on a coach like Archie so he could identify talented players that he can develop so they lead us to a bid and a run in the NCAA tournament like he did at Dayton? Didn't we decide that being mediocre isn't enough, and we will build a top staff, practice facility, and have charter flights? If you think Archie MIller isn't capable of landing a couple of recruits that could be all-time greats, I don't know what to tell you. I think he will, and I genuinely believe Weston is the first player with the upside to getting there. Or he could be a significant letdown like Jermaine Harris.... We don't know.

Remember what Archie said to Thorr when he called him? "I just want you to know that I'm getting more excited. I'm not coming there to be the top 3 in the A10. I'm coming there to win the damn thing and beat every other good program as well" That sounds like someone that believes he can land players that can make an impact like some of our former legends.

Here are some quotes from Seton Hall fans after Weston left.

"Disappointed we'll never get to see what Westin can do"

"Weston feels like a real loss although we haven't seen him on the court."

"It is what it is, but losing our best recruit since Whitehead can't be sugarcoated and dismissed."

"For all we know, Sha wanted to keep Weston. When he said initially he was staying, 100% of the board was happy about that. That doesn't mean he can't be replaced. But he was our highest-rated recruit in a while. I was looking forward to seeing him play."

2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago If he had the potential to be the 2nd best player to ever play at URI, he'd be the star at Seton Hall (or better) for the next few years.
Plenty of people at Seton Hall thought he could be their star. He was their highest-ranked recruit in over 5 years. Then, he got hurt, and he moved on. But, that doesn't mean he loses all his potential. I'm not saying he will be our 2nd best player ever. But, honestly, players like Sly, Odom, Tyson, and Mobley are all exceptional in their own ways. I don't even bother with ranking them. They are all in that hall of fame tier that's very hard to reach.

Didn't we bring on Archie Miller to bring us to the next level? Didn't we bring on a coach like Archie so he could identify talented players that he can develop so they lead us to a bid and a run in the NCAA tournament like he did at Dayton? Didn't we decide that being mediocre isn't enough, and we will build a top staff, practice facility, and have charter flights? If you think Archie MIller isn't capable of landing a couple of recruits that could be all-time greats, I don't know what to tell you. I think he will, and I genuinely believe Weston is the first player with the upside to getting there. Or he could be a significant letdown like Jermaine Harris.... We don't know.

Remember what Archie said to Thorr when he called him? "I just want you to know that I'm getting more excited. I'm not coming there to be the top 3 in the A10. I'm coming there to win the damn thing and beat every other good program as well" That sounds like someone that believes he can land players that can make an impact like some of our former legends.

"It is what it is, but losing our best recruit since Whitehead can't be sugarcoated and dismissed."

"For all we know, Sha wanted to keep Weston. When he said initially he was staying, 100% of the board was happy about that. That doesn't mean he can't be replaced. But he was our highest-rated recruit in a while. I was looking forward to seeing him play."

I'm not saying he won't be a great player. Obviously I hope that he is. I just think it's unfair to set expectations so high for the kid and say he's potentially the best player here in 45 years. I hope he plays 4 years, breaks Silk's scoring record and leads us into deep runs in the NCAA tourney.
Last edited by Billyboy78 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

We've had a lot of great players here, if he ends up in the top ten I'll be happy and he'll be at least an NBA prospect, probably log some time in the league like many of our former best players.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago

Remember what Archie said to Thorr when he called him? "I want you to know that I'm getting more excited. I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 in the A10. I'm coming there to win the damn thing and beat every other good program as well" That sounds like someone that believes he can land players that can make an impact like some of our former legends.

I'm not saying he won't be a great player. Obviously I hope that he is. I think it's unfair to set expectations so high for the kid and say he's potentially the best player here in 45 years. I hope plays 4 years, breaks Silk's scoring record and leads us into deep runs in the NCAA tourney.
I agree… That’s way too high of expectations for any player that hasn’t played a second. My point is that I think Archie will land some players that will lead us to some of the biggest wins in the history of our program, and those players will become legends like Sly, Tyson, Kenny Green, Hass, etc..
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
TrevlontRook3
Steve Chubin

Unread post by TrevlontRook3 »

JimSidd wrote: 1 year ago I now take a wait and see approach on all prep recruits and transfers since the Jermaine Harris experience.
Hopefully the hate doesn’t start pouring in like it did with JH going into his 3rd season

Granted it ball busting towards JH ended up being justified but I’ve always wondered how much it effects players. Especially when it gets to the Harris level that I remember.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Remember what Archie said to Thorr when he called him? "I want you to know that I'm getting more excited. I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 in the A10. I'm coming there to win the damn thing and beat every other good program as well" That sounds like someone that believes he can land players that can make an impact like some of our former legends.

I'm not saying he won't be a great player. Obviously I hope that he is. I think it's unfair to set expectations so high for the kid and say he's potentially the best player here in 45 years. I hope plays 4 years, breaks Silk's scoring record and leads us into deep runs in the NCAA tourney.
I agree… That’s way too high of expectations for any player that hasn’t played a second. My point is that I think Archie will land some players that will lead us to some of the biggest wins in the history of our program, and those players will become legends like Sly, Tyson, Kenny Green, Hass, etc..
I think you are jumping way ahead of everything. For people to think these players that Archie brought in will lead them to the tourney next year or might be the some of the greatest in history is crazy. Most people on the board are excited for the future and it has a much better feel than it did with Cox, but I am expecting a lot of ups and downs next year with both players will little experience and returning players that were far from great players. Weston and Freeman are great gets to build the program around for the rebuild, but let the guys get on the court before any comparisons. I thought Jermaine Harris was going to be one of the best big men to ever play at URI. That didn't work out.
5 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

How many top 60 recruits at URI have been busts? Odds are his range here will be very solid player to really f’n good. I also am excited because it isn’t like he went to Seton Hall and failed, he was injured and never played. To me he is a top 60 recruit coming in, not a P6 transfer. Sure it may not be year 1, but it will come.

As far as the tourney next year, we are at least an experienced big away. Even then, most will be reluctant to say they could be a tournament team, I just happen to disagree. I won’t be pissed if this roster isn’t a tourney team but they sure as hell better be in the upper half of the A10 and with a likely lower level schedule there is no reason they can’t sneak in (or get close to it).
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Underestimating continuity, chemistry.

Overestimating players hardly anyone has ever seen play a minute of D1 basketball (besides Bray).

I couldn’t be more excited about the Archie era but he’s not Houdini. It’s the Jimmys and the Joes not the Xs and the Os. We need more Jimmy and Joes before we are sniffing even the upper 1/3rd of the league.
5 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

RamStock wrote: 1 year ago

I think you are jumping way ahead of everything. For people to think these players that Archie brought in will lead them to the tourney next year or might be the some of the greatest in history is crazy. Most people on the board are excited for the future and it has a much better feel than it did with Cox, but I am expecting a lot of ups and downs next year with both players will little experience and returning players that were far from great players. Weston and Freeman are great gets to build the program around for the rebuild, but let the guys get on the court before any comparisons. I thought Jermaine Harris was going to be one of the best big men to ever play at URI. That didn't work out.
I never said this team will be a tournament team next year. I've said countless times that they will not be a tournament team. I also don't think Weston will become a star right away. He's going to need some time to develop after his injury. I'm saying that I believe Archie Miller will land some big-time recruits that will become legends here. I think Weston is the first player he's landed that COULD become that. I get why you thought Harris would be a stud. We all did, and we all discussed it on here. Similar to what we are doing now. Nothing wrong with that. Just like there is nothing wrong with fans thinking that one of the highest-ranked recruits in the history of the program (Weston) may become a star playing under one of the best coaches we've ever had..
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RamStock wrote: 1 year ago

I think you are jumping way ahead of everything. For people to think these players that Archie brought in will lead them to the tourney next year or might be the some of the greatest in history is crazy.
They don't have to be anywhere near "some of the greatest in history" to get to the tourney.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Underestimating continuity, chemistry.

Overestimating players hardly anyone has ever seen play a minute of D1 basketball (besides Bray).

I couldn’t be more excited about the Archie era but he’s not Houdini. It’s the Jimmys and the Joes not the Xs and the Os. We need more Jimmy and Joes before we are sniffing even the upper 1/3rd of the league.
Continuity does not exist in college basketball anymore. Chemistry is important, but it is based on bringing in players who fit a system. We are going to be good.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rhodylaw wrote: 1 year ago

Continuity does not exist in college basketball anymore. Chemistry is important, but it is based on bringing in players who fit a system. We are going to be good.

Uh, “bringing in players who fit a system” is literally the definition of chemistry.

Players + system = chemistry.
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

Uh, “bringing in players who fit a system” is literally the definition of chemistry.

But...time for jellin'...?
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

True - just saying last year we had a bunch of dudes, not guys who were a fit for any particular offense.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Name a mid major school loaded with transfers and returning very little production that went to tourney last year? You may see that with the P5s that can pick and choose transfers and assemble a team like free agency but that isn’t and likely won’t be the case with mid majors. Experience and continuity will still matter at our level. Pretty sure Archie knows that and is why he said he doesn’t want to use the portal to build a championship roster.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago

Name a mid major school loaded with transfers and returning very little production that went to tourney last year? You may see that with the P5s that can pick and choose transfers and assemble a team like free agency but that isn’t and likely won’t be the case with mid majors. Experience and continuity will still matter at our level. Pretty sure Archie knows that and is why he said he doesn’t want to use the portal to build a championship roster.
BAR you are making too much sense, good post.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

This environment is completely different from even last year. In this case, I'd suggest that the past is not an indicator of how it's going to work now.

I'm guessing that, probably this year, you will see a "mid major school loaded with transfers and returning very little production that goes to the tourney."
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Pessimists rule the day I guess - I think we retained a solid group of guys from last year who can contribute right away and 1 in Jalen who I think will be a game changing type player when used properly. Martin and Ish are both very solid A10 players. Building around those three guys next year will look a lot better then last year, especially when they are used properly.

This is not a team loaded with transfers. To me we have added 1 transfer in Brayon and a JC recruit (Westin is really more akin to a red shirt freshmen recruit in my mind). We also have a very strong recruiting class of true freshmen - and another RS freshmen in Samb. We will be good very soon. Westin will be a big part of that. I expect a top half A10 finish, with the chance to move up higher based on a softer schedule.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago This environment is completely different from even last year. In this case, I'd suggest that the past is not an indicator of how it's going to work now.

I'm guessing that, probably this year, you will see a "mid major school loaded with transfers and returning very little production that goes to the tourney."
Last year was Portalpalooza just like this year. I think about the same volume.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

rhodylaw wrote: 1 year ago Pessimists rule the day I guess - I think we retained a solid group of guys from last year who can contribute right away and 1 in Jalen who I think will be a game changing type player when used properly. Martin and Ish are both very solid A10 players. Building around those three guys next year will look a lot better then last year, especially when they are used properly.

This is not a team loaded with transfers. To me we have added 1 transfer in Brayon and a JC recruit (Westin is really more akin to a red shirt freshmen recruit in my mind). We also have a very strong recruiting class of true freshmen - and another RS freshmen in Samb. We will be good very soon. Westin will be a big part of that. I expect a top half A10 finish, with the chance to move up higher based on a softer schedule.
Define “very solid” - not 1 of them was even close to a 3rd team All League player. To compete at the top 1/3rd of league you are gonna need at least 1 if not 2 first/second team type talents. The 3 guys you mentioned thus far are potential role players. That’s great every team needs those guys but you need some dudes too. Right now only Bray can even be considered a dude. That’s not enough. 3 bigs with almost no Div 1 experience. Cmon folks you are either being blind optimists or setting yourself up for disappointment. I’m always the optimist and can’t wait for this season but I’ve also seen enough to know that the roster is still a big work in progress.
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago This environment is completely different from even last year. In this case, I'd suggest that the past is not an indicator of how it's going to work now.

I’ll take that bet. Can we say returning less than 20% of their production from last year and starting at least 3 transfers?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago

I’ll take that bet. Can we say returning less than 20% of their production from last year and starting at least 3 transfers?
2 transfers and 30% of production, for a Lord Hobo mix pack 👍
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

If I can weigh in…I’d say 50%+ minutes by transfers. Who starts may not tell the whole story (you could have 3 returning starters and have those as the only returners that play and that would be a transfer-heavy team; you could have only two transfers on the team and they could both start and that would be a team with a lot of continuity. Same scenario in the starting 5 but team construction overall is much different.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Brandon Weston
G | R-Fr.
6-5 | 200
Brooklyn, N.Y. | Seton Hall
Highly sought after as a four-star recruit out of Hillcrest Prep in Phoenix, Weston was Seton Hall's first Top 100 recruit since 2017. He chose the Pirates over the likes of Michigan, Pitt, Illinois and Wake Forest, but he decided to enter the portal after the departure of Head Coach Kevin Willard and his staff. An explosive scorer, he averaged 24 points, 10 rebounds and three steals per game as a junior at Morgan Park in Illinois. He has four seasons of eligibility remaining after a freshman season at Seton Hall in which he played just one game due to injuries and issues with COVID-19.

Archie Miller on Brandon Weston
"Brandon was an extremely heralded high school player. He was one of the highest-rated players Seton Hall had signed. With his versatility, skill level and explosiveness, we feel like Brandon will be an impact player for us on the perimeter. He can guard multiple positions, but he also is a bona fide scoring threat at all times."
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I like Brandon's 'Welcome Video'....lots of enthusiasm and personality.

1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

2 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Great looking form Brandon W !!
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I really think Weston could be the x-factor for us the next couple years until the next crop of recruits/transfers come to town. Hoping for big things from him.
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

all these fools picking us10th
Please
Fools
and don’t get me started on people on this board forfeiting this season

Insulting
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

sevegny7 wrote: 1 year ago
That’s a really good sign , he may be a huge weapon for us
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 year ago all these fools picking us10th
Please
Fools
and don’t get me started on people on this board forfeiting this season

Insulting
Agreed, lots of talent on this squad. I am not predicting a bad season at all.
0 x
GO RAMS
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

reef wrote: 1 year ago
sevegny7 wrote: 1 year ago
That’s a really good sign , he may be a huge weapon for us
I agree, I'm also excited to see what he could do.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Re: ‘21 NY SF Brandon Weston (Seton Hall ---> URI ---> ??? )

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

This one is disappointing. I thought he was a spark plug off the bench and a hustling defender.
3 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

gotta love the new NCAA !

my goodness

another player on my "keep " list...

thanks NCAA

you turned a great sport into a POS sport
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 month ago This one is disappointing. I thought he was a spark plug off the bench and a hustling defender.
Same here, LTR.

I liked his D. Plus he’s experienced in Archie’s system on O and D.
1 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Saw the list of interest for Westin today. Other than a few teams, all the rest are pretty mediocre.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Offensively he was a PF in a 2G body, which led to missed layups and blocked shots. His D was decent.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."