Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel and Portal - 2024-25

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel and Portal - 2024-25

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 month ago
rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago D1 experience counts nowadays more than ever.

But landing those transfers who have had success at good programs is going to be really hard.

Tons of competition as we are seeing with the long lists of schools that are showing interest immediately after guys enter the portal.

Recruiting freshmen will still a part of the process but as been said by many here, how long will they stay if they turn out to be good?

Those with the biggest NIL budgets will take the best talent and leave the rest fighting over the scraps

Those with the most toys win. And we need a lot of toys.
I agree, Bone. We will struggle nightly to get the higher program players that have had success ( I am figuring you mean individual success vs team success ). Too much competition.

I was thinking scouring the rosters at that level (the P6) to target the undervalued players. They play off the bench and have a role but at risk of being recruited or portaled over and never start at their P6 program. Under the radar/diamond in the rough type players.

I admit that finding and targeting those types would require a lot of research, regular communication and outreach (tampering?). It just might requires a GM type assistant on the staff ?
ftfy
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 month ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 month ago Unlike GMU, I guess we are back into stealth mode, Jersey.
Stealth mode huh?

Multiple posts about players we’ve reached out to.

Let’s stop with this stealth shit.
Have we had anyone visit yet? Is Mason ahead of us in the transfer battles.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

McRam wrote: 1 month ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 month ago Unlike GMU, I guess we are back into stealth mode, Jersey.
Stealth mode huh?

Multiple posts about players we’ve reached out to.

Let’s stop with this stealth shit.
Have we had anyone visit yet? Is Mason ahead of us in the transfer battles.
Visits was the point, McRam. No visits I am aware of or recall being announced here off of the top of my head - unless we are back to stealth mode and have had unannounced portal related visits.

It appears GMU has a higher sense of urgency, if using visits as the standard, so far but it’s still early in the portal season.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

This recruiting year we are in now and next year’s won/loss record will show us if Miller has the skill set to be successful in this new age of men’s college basketball. 3 straight dismal years would show the formula for success has changed too much for him.
5 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Whatever happens will happen in the next few weeks.

I doubt we will hear much before any commitments are made

This isnt like just a few years ago, when staffs needed to develop relationships with recruits first.

Things will happen quick now. I wish I could be confident about all of this but really can't anymore until I see results on the court.

Ramulous, spot on.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Speaking of Ish,I wonder if he uses his 5th year?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Ramulous wrote: 1 month ago This recruiting year we are in now and next year’s won/loss record will show us if Miller has the skill set to be successful in this new age of men’s college basketball. 3 straight dismal years would show the formula for success has changed too much for him.
Exactly Ramulous, it is very important to see an upward trajectory this upcoming season especially if Archie retains his core and scoring leaders from 23-24.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 month ago
theblueram wrote: 1 month ago
rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago I wonder if Hammond is waiting for the KJ decision to decide whether to decommit or not.

Looks that way to me right now.

I think we will be a fair amount better if he stays

If not, my money's on more sucking.
Bone, tell me you are not relying on 1 freshman to rectify this program. Please
I am. A really good, legit point guard changes everything. He makes everyone else better. He allows us to play the style that Archie wants to play. If we lose him, it's devastating.
It's been our biggest need since Cox took Dowtin off the ball and the results speak for themselves
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Was reported Sebastian Thomas is entering the transfer portal.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Ramfan22 wrote: 1 month ago Was reported Sebastian Thomas is entering the transfer portal.
Yes, he is in the portal.

So is our old friend (C) Abou Ousmane from Xavier who only spent last season there.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Very surprised about Thomas

All Conference, tons of minutes, tons of shots, basically did whatever he wanted.
2 x
Go Rhody
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 1 month ago Very surprised about Thomas

All Conference, tons of minutes, tons of shots, basically did whatever he wanted.
Not surprised at all.

Why not check out the NIL market and see what he is worth, I am sure they would accept him back anyway.
Besides he may have the opportunity to join an NCAAT team.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 month ago

Not surprised at all.

Why not check out the NIL market and see what he is worth, I am sure they would accept him back anyway.
Basketball wise I’m surprised seeing how he won’t have it better anywhere else. Won’t have that freedom at a bigger school.

This seems 100% NIL move, which that part I get.
1 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Not surprised at all.

Basketball wise I’m surprised seeing how he won’t have it better anywhere else. Won’t have that freedom at a bigger school.

This seems 100% NIL move, which that part I get.
The $ plays a big part.

But some players also want to test their abilities against better competition and play on a bigger stage.
Plus, the enjoyment of being able to compete in the post-season.
1 x
JFrech21
Jeff Kent

Unread post by JFrech21 »

steviep123 wrote: 1 month ago
I have heard that URI has reached out to Thomas about him coming back. Not sure if Thomas has any interest.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

What did we do, sent him down to Single A ball for further grooming?
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

JFrech21 wrote: 1 month ago
steviep123 wrote: 1 month ago
I have heard that URI has reached out to Thomas about him coming back. Not sure if Thomas has any interest.
So BlueMan's NIL contributions could be going to Sebastian Thomas? Ante Up!!
3 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Good for Bassy. There is no chance he will come back to a place where his coach didn't believe in him and many fans trashed his game even after having an all-conference season. But at least we are going to keep Always Wright! He's not a D1 point guard, but he has a cool name!

I agree with 15. I understand he wants to make money, but I think in the long term, he has a better shot of getting big money going pro if he continues to put up massive numbers. His role right now is perfect for him...If he goes to a high major and barely plays or is a bench piece, I wonder if that hurts his chances. Either way, we had a kid from RI who wanted to play at RI, and we pushed him out. It's one of the many mistakes Archie has made since coming here.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

If FriarTown defines a role and ponies up the dough I expect that’s a likely landing spot for Thomas.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 month ago Good for Bassy. There is no chance he will come back to a place where his coach didn't believe in him and many fans trashed his game even after having an all-conference season. But at least we are going to keep Always Wright! He's not a D1 point guard, but he has a cool name!

I agree with 15. I understand he wants to make money, but I think in the long term, he has a better shot of getting big money going pro if he continues to put up massive numbers. His role right now is perfect for him...If he goes to a high major and barely plays or is a bench piece, I wonder if that hurts his chances. Either way, we had a kid from RI who wanted to play at RI, and we pushed him out. It's one of the many mistakes Archie has made since coming here.
Stevey, I am happy for him that he has an opportunity to test the market again but I agree with your long term thinking regarding Bassy and what may be best for his future.

I hope he has some sincere, honest, level-headed advisors around him helping him navigate all the options.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

bassy ending up at PC would be hilarious
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

It would be funny but just another fuck up by our supposed savior Archie Miller.

Bassy imo is looking for an NIL haul.

But he's turned out to be better than who we currently have.

You just can't make this stuff up.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 month ago If FriarTown defines a role and ponies up the dough I expect that’s a likely landing spot for Thomas.
I watched 0 seconds of Albany this season but I have a hard time seeing Thomas with a legitimate role on a Big East team not named DePaul or Georgetown.
5 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago It would be funny but just another fuck up by our supposed savior Archie Miller.

Bassy imo is looking for an NIL haul.

But he's turned out to be better than who we currently have.

You just can't make this stuff up.
Bassy's stats and production this season will probably be better than anyone we pick-up from a lower conference.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

You guys really think there is a huge NIL haul out there for Thomas? Maybe I'm wrong, but I find that hard to believe.
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

rhodysurf wrote: 1 month ago bassy ending up at PC would be hilarious
Ooph! I read your post and immediately got a bad image in my head…

Big if’s, surf, but imagine what this place would be like if he landed at PC and torched us for 20-30 pts at home next season and gave us the Italian salute in the process ?

I would let the expletives fly! (Cosmo Kramer ref)

I’d probably need a month, at least, to settle down. Ooph.

I am afraid to even post the “what if” because my stomach is already churning from just mulling the remote possibility.

ETA: The irrational half of my Rhody fan personality breaking through with the above post. :lol:
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 month ago
rhodysurf wrote: 1 month ago bassy ending up at PC would be hilarious
Ooph! I read your post and immediately got a bad image in my head…

Big if’s, surf, but imagine what this place would be like if he landed at PC and torched us for 20-30 pts at home next season and gave us the Italian salute in the process ?

I would let the expletives fly! (Cosmo Kramer ref)

I’d probably need a month, at least, to settle down. Ooph.

I am afraid to even post the “what if” because my stomach is already churning from just mulling the remote possibility.
It’s not that serious man lol

Kid entered the portal about 20 minutes ago and no list of schools have even been released.
0 x
Go Rhody
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RF1 wrote: 1 month ago This site tracks transfers. Up to 677 as of right now at 11:30am 03-21-2024:

https://verbalcommits.com/transfers
As of 3:00pm 03/25/2024, the portal is now up to 886
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I would happily fund PC's NIL to take on Bassy.

Once again this is a kid who has splits of 43/29/70. And his stats were bolstered this year by playing on one of the worst teams in one of the worst conferences in the country. You thought our D was bad this year? Bassy's DBox +/- would have him NINTH on our roster. In a shit conference. He'd be our 9th best shooter from the field and 11th from 3.

I am not sure why this continues to be rehashed. I'm sure people will say I'm "attacking" Bassy simply because i continue to point out facts and his statistics and remind everyone what he looked like against A10 competition, and then leverage said statistics and experience as a reason for why this kid isn't an A10 level player.

I am sure some school will take him based on his stats. Doesn't mean that a kid scoring 22 points on 18 shots a game (in a bottom tier league) is the missing link for your team's success.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

George Mason's leading scorer both declares for the draft and enters the portal. Averaged 16.6ppg in 30.7mpg. Also losing other starter Ron Polite with 7.5ppg in 25mpg. Six players now leaving from GMU which went 20-12 this past season under their first year coach.

George Mason Outbound Transfers
Keyshawn Hall
Berke Arslan
Devin Dinkins
Malik Henry
Kam Johnson
Ron Polite

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RF1 wrote: 1 month ago George Mason's leading scorer both declares for the draft and enters the portal. Averaged 16.6ppg in 30.7mpg. Also losing other starter Ron Polite with 7.5ppg in 25mpg. Six players now leaving from GMU which went 20-12 this past season under their first year coach.

Keyshawn Hall
Berke Arslan
Devin Dinkins
Malik Henry
Kam Johnson
Ron Polite

Wow say it ain’t so Coach Skinn !
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 1 month ago
RF1 wrote: 1 month ago This site tracks transfers. Up to 677 as of right now at 11:30am 03-21-2024:

https://verbalcommits.com/transfers
As of 3:00pm 03/25/2024, the portal is now up to 886
Haven’t the last 3 years been 1,800 plus? And some thought it would drop?
Seems 1,800 is the new average so we are half way to 1800 and NCAA Tournament with 16 teams left.
As players commit there will be players who decide to move into the portal because their starting position or hopes for a starting position have been dashed. Musical chairs.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 1 month ago
RF1 wrote: 1 month ago George Mason's leading scorer both declares for the draft and enters the portal. Averaged 16.6ppg in 30.7mpg. Also losing other starter Ron Polite with 7.5ppg in 25mpg. Six players now leaving from GMU which went 20-12 this past season under their first year coach.

Keyshawn Hall
Berke Arslan
Devin Dinkins
Malik Henry
Kam Johnson
Ron Polite

Wow say it ain’t so Coach Skinn !
Might be the least surprising entrant to the portal. GMU fans in Brooklyn that I talked to knew this was coming. Only surprise is that he took this long to formally enter.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Ray Allen III we hardly knew ya….
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 month ago Ray Allen III we hardly knew ya….
Yea, saw his name in portal listings. Best going forward.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

so how many from our 23/24 roster have entered the portal?

6?
0 x
:lol:
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 1 month ago so how many from our 23/24 roster have entered the portal?

6?
5 scholarship players so far, 6 if you count the walk on. None of which averaged more than 5 points per game.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 1 month ago I would happily fund PC's NIL to take on Bassy.

Once again this is a kid who has splits of 43/29/70. And his stats were bolstered this year by playing on one of the worst teams in one of the worst conferences in the country. You thought our D was bad this year? Bassy's DBox +/- would have him NINTH on our roster. In a shit conference. He'd be our 9th best shooter from the field and 11th from 3.

I am not sure why this continues to be rehashed. I'm sure people will say I'm "attacking" Bassy simply because i continue to point out facts and his statistics and remind everyone what he looked like against A10 competition, and then leverage said statistics and experience as a reason for why this kid isn't an A10 level player.

I am sure some school will take him based on his stats. Doesn't mean that a kid scoring 22 points on 18 shots a game (in a bottom tier league) is the missing link for your team's success.
Thank you!
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man, I don't understand why you still put Bassy down and yet are so willing to deflect any blame on Archie for our wonderful season.

No one is saying Bassy is a world beater but give him some credit for improving his game.
Some players do make a big jump from their 2nd to 3rd year.

Bassy led the team in scoring (19.6), assists (4.9), steals (1.9), plus averaged 4.2 rebs.
His assist total was much better than anyone on our team, steals more than 2.5x better than our leader.
His foul shooting of 78% would have matched the highest on our team.

Also realize most of the teams they played against focused and keyed their attention on him.

Granted we understand he played at a lower level, but Luis, House, and Green didn't exactly come from blue blood programs either.

I know he wouldn't have matched that production here, but still he is a hardworking, likeable kid, and a local product.
5 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Yeah I didn’t dig Bassy’s game either but he’s local, had some good moments and was eager to improve. I didn’t see him hurting us going forward coming off the bench but Miller wanted to move on.

BlueMan continued obsession with bashing him is pretty weird no doubt.

I’m very interested in following the story and seeing where he lands.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Is he a coachable kid? IDK.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

section(105) wrote: 1 month ago Is he a coachable kid? IDK.
He seemed to listen when Archie was talking to him on the sideline a lot more than most of the players this year did.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Going to be interesting to see where he lands ? Maybe back to the A10 ?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Can he help us win more than 12 games next year?
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Ramulous wrote: 1 month ago This recruiting year we are in now and next year’s won/loss record will show us if Miller has the skill set to be successful in this new age of men’s college basketball. 3 straight dismal years would show the formula for success has changed too much for him.
Exactly
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Blue Man, I don't understand why you still put Bassy down and yet are so willing to deflect any blame on Archie for our wonderful season.

No one is saying Bassy is a world beater but give him some credit for improving his game.

Bassy led the team in scoring (19.6), assists (4.9), steals (1.9), plus averaged 4.2 rebs.
His assist total was much better than anyone on our team, steals more than 2.5x better than our leader.

Also realize most of the teams they played against focused and keyed their attention on him.

Granted we understand he played at a lower level, but Luis, House, and Green didn't exactly come from blue blood programs either.

I know he wouldn't have matched that production here, but still he is a hardworking, likeable kid, and a local product.
Look about three to five posts above yours and you'll see a fan fiction post talking about how he was going to PC, was going to have a major role there, score 30 points on us and do everything but burn the Ryan Center down. So yeah, when Blue Man posts the truth it's going to look negative in light of how ridiculous some people act
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 month ago

Look about three to five posts above yours and you'll see a fan fiction post talking about how he was going to PC, was going to have a major role there, score 30 points on us and do everything but burn the Ryan Center down. So yeah, when Blue Man posts the truth it's going to look negative in light of how ridiculous some people act
That was my post, 02. I was joking around making light of the thought of him at PC. It was a tongue in cheek post. It shouldn’t reflect on BlueMan’s serious, educated negative opinion of Bassy.

Just wanted to clarify unless I am missing the point ?
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 month ago

Well yeah, some posts are a little over the top ( I know Drums was just kidding), but Bassy doesn't deserve some of the bashing either.

I like Blue Man a lot we sat next to each other at the Mohegan Sun games, but let's give the kid some credit for working hard and improving his game.
4 x