Games of Interest - 2023-2024 MBB

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: Games of Interest - 2023-2024 MBB

Unread post by RF1 »

There is an irony in PC not making the NCAA due in large part to their former Coach. PC's metrics were much hurt by having to play Cooley's dreadful Georgetown team THREE times. I wonder if Ed got some satisfaction given how nasty Friar fans were to him.

Two games versus an even far worse DePaul also had a negative impact. The Big East has not typically had two such bad teams. They dragged down every other league member and the effect is seen in the lower number of tourney teams
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rhodylaw wrote: 1 month ago
Rhody15 wrote: 1 month ago
theblueram wrote: 1 month ago The A10 got one less team in the NCAAT than the nbe. LMAO.
Do you call all conferences “new?”

New a10? New ACC? New sec? New big 12?

Think it’s time to drop that, doesn’t make any sense anymore. Every conference is new.
No. It is a consistent reminder to them that they are not what they were before which they need to hear.
Right...the BE included Syracuse, Pitt, Boston College, etc, the nbe does not
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Other than UConn last year, the BE hasn't exactly covered itself in glory in the NCAA tourney lately.

Could have been a factor in getting only 3 teams in.
0 x
kal-65
Jeff Kent

Unread post by kal-65 »

the injury to hopkins hurt pc ---they probably would have had a much better chance for the tournament

they did beat two low seeds in marquette and wisconsin

imo the only questionable team left out ----indiana state

no need for dickie v to rant this year
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

kal-65 wrote: 1 month ago the injury to hopkins hurt pc ---they probably would have had a much better chance for the tournament

they did beat two low seeds in marquette and wisconsin

imo the only questionable team left out ----indiana state

no need for dickie v to rant this year
With Hopkins PC is probably a Top 5 seed.
1 x
Go Rhody
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Today was a glimpse into the future for the Big East. I can remember three decades back when there were many non power conferences that regularly sent multiple teams to the NCAA. The MAC and the MVC are prime examples. The power conferences however began to expand and consolidate control. The MAC and MVC eventually became one bid conferences nearly every year sending just the team that won their tourney and got the automatic bid. The A-10 was able to stave off a similar result for over two decades but it too is now getting squeezed out. The big football conferences want nearly all of the NCAA pie. They are getting larger in size and pushing for even more control. They are eventually going to get tired of sharing the pot with the small non football schools of the Big East. It is already starting as seen with the Big Ten expanding their league schedule and dropping their challenge series with the BE. Things are going to get tougher going forward for the BE. They have hung on the longest for non football leagues but they face the same fate as other such conferences. It is not a matter of if, but when.
Last edited by RF1 1 month ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

kal-65 wrote: 1 month ago imo the only questionable team left out ----indiana state
Agree
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 month ago
kal-65 wrote: 1 month ago imo the only questionable team left out ----indiana state
Agree
Non conference was an absolute joke.

They weren’t the only questionable team left out.
0 x
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Michigan State and Virginia got the benefit of the doubt

No surprise there.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I guess this means the days of the nbe scheduling Q4 pansies in OOC are over. If not, they will be here in the same place next year.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

theblueram wrote: 1 month ago I guess this means the days of the nbe scheduling Q4 pansies in OOC are over. If not, they will be here in the same place next year.
Maybe they'll duck Rhody again?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 1 month ago I guess this means the days of the nbe scheduling Q4 pansies in OOC are over. If not, they will be here in the same place next year.
St John’s, Villanova, Butler, UConn, Marquette, Creighton, Seton Hall, PC, all had Top 66 OOC schedules.

Not a crazy amount of cupcakes.

DePaul and GT really screwed the metrics.

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-baske ... s-by-other

Wrong, yet again.
Last edited by Rhody15 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RF1 wrote: 1 month ago There is an irony in PC not making the NCAA due in large part to their former Coach. PC's metrics were much hurt by having to play Cooley's dreadful Georgetown team THREE times. I wonder if Ed got some satisfaction given how nasty Friar fans were to him.

Two games versus an even far worse DePaul also had a negative impact. The Big East has not typically had two such bad teams. They dragged down every other league member and the effect is seen in the lower number of tourney teams
That’s a really good point that I didn’t think about ! Love having PC not in the NCAA tournament!
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

My only error was I had St Johns in and UVA out , the rest of the at large teams I thought they got right

I’m so glad Oklahoma didn’t make it they were terrible down the stretch

I definitely thought the BE got screwed they should have had a 4th in I thought
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Someone here said the middle of the A10 is basically the same as the middle of the Big East.

Well, we now will see in the NIT.

Seton Hall v St Joe’s

Villanova v VCU

Loyola and Richmond also made it.
0 x
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I think Colorado is the least deserving team in the dance.

They had no bad losses, but their top 4 wins were Oregon twice and Washington St twice

Everyone but Indiana State had better wins than they did.

The committee is just inconsistent.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

St Johns and 5 other teams turned down NIT invitation
The portal opens tomorrow and people speculating they are getting ready for next season as opposed to playing in the NIT

The NCAA may start pushing back the dates they open the portal to maybe April 1st ?
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 1 month ago St Johns and 5 other teams turned down NIT invitation
The portal opens tomorrow and people speculating they are getting ready for next season as opposed to playing in the NIT

The NCAA may start pushing back the dates they open the portal to maybe April 1st ?
Reef,

Yes, like your suggestion of April 1st (April Fools Day) :lol: :lol:

These 7 teams turned down the NIT

Indiana
Memphis
Oklahoma
Mississippi
Pittsburgh
St. John's
Washington

Imagine that Duquesne is in the NCAA and Pittsburgh is not - crazy for the City of Pittsburgh
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 1 month ago
reef wrote: 1 month ago St Johns and 5 other teams turned down NIT invitation

Reef,

Yes, like your suggestion of April 1st (April Fools Day) :lol: :lol:

These 7 teams turned down the NIT

Indiana
Memphis
Oklahoma
Mississippi
Pittsburgh
St. John's
Washington

Imagine that Duquesne is in the NCAA and Pittsburgh is not - crazy for the City of Pittsburgh
Ramster , the NCAA must be furious those 7 teams declined NIT
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

They need to shitcan the NIT and make the NCAA tourney 96 teams.

Give the top 32 a bye into the next round.
2 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 month ago Someone here said the middle of the A10 is basically the same as the middle of the Big East.

Seton Hall v St Joe’s

Villanova v VCU

That was me - glad to see the matchups. My point is not that the A10 teams win every one of the games btw. Just t that they are very similar level teams. It will continue to tend that way in my opinion as the football leagues really start to dominate more and the allure of the old BE fades. It’s UConn plus some nice teams now, then a few trash programs.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

rhodylaw wrote: 1 month ago
Rhody15 wrote: 1 month ago Someone here said the middle of the A10 is basically the same as the middle of the Big East.

Seton Hall v St Joe’s

Villanova v VCU

That was me - glad to see the matchups. My point is not that the A10 teams win every one of the games btw. Just t that they are very similar level teams. It will continue to tend that way in my opinion as the football leagues really start to dominate more and the allure of the old BE fades. It’s UConn plus some nice teams now, then a few trash programs.
What?

Obviously I am a fan of the A10 and our conference is certainly stronger than it was last season.

But really, the BE is at a higher level than the A10, no question.

Just compare the media contracts, revenue, and the level of recruits they attract versus our conference.

Any team from the A10 would jump at the opportunity of joining the BE.
3 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

RF1 wrote: 1 month ago Today was a glimpse into the future for the Big East. I can remember three decades back when there were many non power conferences that regularly sent multiple teams to the NCAA. The MAC and the MVC are prime examples. The power conferences however began to expand and consolidate control. The MAC and MVC eventually became one bid conferences nearly every year sending just the team that won their tourney and got the automatic bid. The A-10 was able to stave off a similar result for over two decades but it too is now getting squeezed out. The big football conferences want nearly all of the NCAA pie. They are getting larger in size and pushing for even more control. They are eventually going to get tired of sharing the pot with the small non football schools of the Big East. It is already starting as seen with the Big Ten expanding their league schedule and dropping their challenge series with the BE. Things are going to get tougher going forward for the BE. They have hung on the longest for non football leagues but they face the same fate as other such conferences. It is not a matter of if, but when.

You get it ,the football schools are tired of losing to the basketball only schools. The problem for them is the Big ten sucks and has not had an ncaa champion in getting close to 30 years. Anyone notice how UConn the number one seed in the whole tournament is in the toughest bracket? Even when the A10 had good teams like Dayton and St Joe's when they had Jamer Nelson they we ould as always be matched up against another tough basketball only? This is the football schools way of saying if I can't win I'm going to take my ball and go home.

Really interested to see how far they take this because on an even playing field Uconn is twenty points better then Purdue. I think they are trying to set the whole thing up for Purdue.
1 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

woodennickel1 wrote: 1 month ago
RF1 wrote: 1 month ago Today was a glimpse into the future for the Big East. I can remember three decades back when there were many non power conferences that regularly sent multiple teams to the NCAA. The MAC and the MVC are prime examples. The power conferences however began to expand and consolidate control. The MAC and MVC eventually became one bid conferences nearly every year sending just the team that won their tourney and got the automatic bid. The A-10 was able to stave off a similar result for over two decades but it too is now getting squeezed out. The big football conferences want nearly all of the NCAA pie. They are getting larger in size and pushing for even more control. They are eventually going to get tired of sharing the pot with the small non football schools of the Big East. It is already starting as seen with the Big Ten expanding their league schedule and dropping their challenge series with the BE. Things are going to get tougher going forward for the BE. They have hung on the longest for non football leagues but they face the same fate as other such conferences. It is not a matter of if, but when.

You get it ,the football schools are tired of losing to the basketball only schools. The problem for them is the Big ten sucks and has not had an ncaa champion in getting close to 30 years. Anyone notice how UConn the number one seed in the whole tournament is in the toughest bracket? Even when the A10 had good teams like Dayton and St Joe's when they had Jamer Nelson they we ould as always be matched up against another tough basketball only? This is the football schools way of saying if I can't win I'm going to take my ball and go home.

Really interested to see how far they take this because on an even playing field Uconn is twenty points better then Purdue. I think they are trying to set the whole thing up for Purdue.
Yeha UCONNs bracket is fucking brutal. Purdue sucks
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I don't believe this was a P5 football only thing.

If it was a football thing, the MW would not have gotten 6 teams in, and Oklahoma, Pitt, etc would've been in.

Yes, the MW has football. However they are an FBS Group of 5 conference and not a P4.
0 x
Go Rhody
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

I don't believe this was a P5 football only thing.

If it was a football thing, the MW would not have gotten 6 teams in, and Oklahoma, Pitt, etc would've been in.

Yes, the MW has football. However they are an FBS Group of 5 conference and not a P4.
The Mw is not the threat to the football schools that the top Big East teams are. If they ever get to that point they will get the same treatment imo. SD state made a run last year but other then them have any of them even made it past the second round ?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Another thing I heard today is Fox holds the Big East contract , so that was part of the reason the BE got screwed with only 3 teams and UConn tough bracket
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

reef wrote: 1 month ago Another thing I heard today is Fox holds the Big East contract , so that was part of the reason the BE got screwed with only 3 teams and UConn tough bracket
Oh my god dude.

Absolutely not a part of anything. Flat out conspiracy.

Big East and MW have been with their respective TV deals for years.

That was just Big East people bitching and trying to find any excuse as to why they were left out.

Do you believe everything you read on the internet by random people on Twitter?

Come on man, be better.
0 x
Go Rhody
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

I do not get all the excitement for the Big East only getting 3 teams in. This is not good in my opinion for the A10 or any conference that does not sponsor football. To be consistent, I think it is ridiculous to come up with a NET that means nothing. I said this last year when VCU had no shot at an at large bid when it had a better NET than Providence who was safely in. Pitino is correct, there is no way a team with a NET of 32 should be left out of the tournament, period. Seton Hall and Providence I can understand but to leave all 3 out is not good for any conference that does not play football. They have already started this BS with the A10, and now it looks like it is spreading to the Big East which is clearly not good. And I have a hard time believing any team from the P5 would have been left out with a NET of 32. Oklahoma was 46 (and the 9th Big 12 Team) and Pittsburgh was 40 (and would have been the 6th team from the ACC and that would have been ridiculous). That is a pretty good distance from 32.
1 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Seton Hall v St Joe’s

Villanova v VCU

Rhody15 I know you have a Big East and PC bias if not outright slant, but please tell me how both A10 teams playing on the road will show us anything. Neutral court I would give you. You do know how big of an advantage it is playing at home right? Right? And this happens to be the two weakest of the four A10 teams playing in the NIT. Tough to win on the road but we shall see.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

4Diffs wrote: 1 month ago I do not get all the excitement for the Big East only getting 3 teams in. This is not good in my opinion for the A10 or any conference that does not sponsor football. To be consistent, I think it is ridiculous to come up with a NET that means nothing. I said this last year when VCU had no shot at an at large bid when it had a better NET than Providence who was safely in. Pitino is correct, there is no way a team with a NET of 32 should be left out of the tournament, period. Seton Hall and Providence I can understand but to leave all 3 out is not good for any conference that does not play football. They have already started this BS with the A10, and now it looks like it is spreading to the Big East which is clearly not good. And I have a hard time believing any team from the P5 would have been left out with a NET of 32. Oklahoma was 46 (and the 9th Big 12 Team) and Pittsburgh was 40 (and would have been the 6th team from the ACC and that would have been ridiculous). That is a pretty good distance from 32.
Indiana State had a NET of 29. They were left out. The NET is controlled by the NCAA. The NCAA is controlled by FBS.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

4Diffs wrote: 1 month ago

Seton Hall v St Joe’s

Villanova v VCU

Rhody15 I know you have a Big East and PC bias if not outright slant, but please tell me how both A10 teams playing on the road will show us anything. Neutral court I would give you. You do know how big of an advantage it is playing at home right? Right? And this happens to be the two weakest of the four A10 teams playing in the NIT. Tough to win on the road but we shall see.
I do enjoy watching the Big East, games are always fun to watch. Especially the tournament.

But again with this PC thing man oh man.

Thought we were passed that shit.

Let it go. Or keep believing I’m a PC fan.

Just makes whoever sound more and more like an idiot.

I was simply pointing out someone here said they think the middle of the A10 and Big East were comparable.

I then pointed out we now have two games with teams from the middle of each conference.

Let’s see what happens.
0 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

4Diffs wrote: 1 month ago

Seton Hall v St Joe’s

Villanova v VCU

I do enjoy watching the Big East, games are always fun to watch. Especially the tournament.

But again with this PC thing man oh man.

Thought we were passed that shit.

Let it go. Or keep believing I’m a PC fan.

Just makes whoever sound more and more like an idiot.

I was simply pointing out someone here said they think the middle of the A10 and Big East were comparable.

I then pointed out we now have two games with teams from the middle of each conference.

Let’s see what happens.
VCU underdog to 1-seed Villanova by 8.5 points at Villanova.
VCU won 70-61

St Joseph’s underdog to 1-seed Seton Hall by 8.5 points at Seton Hall. Seton Hall won in OT 75-72. Lynn Greer did not play for St Joseph’s due to injury
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

theblueram wrote: 1 month ago
4Diffs wrote: 1 month ago I do not get all the excitement for the Big East only getting 3 teams in. This is not good in my opinion for the A10 or any conference that does not sponsor football. To be consistent, I think it is ridiculous to come up with a NET that means nothing. I said this last year when VCU had no shot at an at large bid when it had a better NET than Providence who was safely in. Pitino is correct, there is no way a team with a NET of 32 should be left out of the tournament, period. Seton Hall and Providence I can understand but to leave all 3 out is not good for any conference that does not play football. They have already started this BS with the A10, and now it looks like it is spreading to the Big East which is clearly not good. And I have a hard time believing any team from the P5 would have been left out with a NET of 32. Oklahoma was 46 (and the 9th Big 12 Team) and Pittsburgh was 40 (and would have been the 6th team from the ACC and that would have been ridiculous). That is a pretty good distance from 32.
Indiana State had a NET of 29. They were left out. The NET is controlled by the NCAA. The NCAA is controlled by FBS.
Yup should have gotten in over UVA

Indiana St best SMU 101-92 in their NIT game
1 x
Rams99
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rams99 »

Dayton and Duquesne 👏👏. Good A10 representation.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Yeah I agree. For all the short-sighted celebrating that PC didn't make it, that should be more concerning than not.

When URI is underseeded or left out, the appropriate response is "beat some good teams, and don't lose to bad ones." PC did just that. PC had SIX Q1 wins. SIX. And ZERO bad losses in Q3 or Q4. If PC can't get in with that kind of resume, that doesn't bode well for URI or A10 schools. The metrics are a joke. And PC, Seton Hall, St Johns, and Indiana State all deserved to be in over Virginia and their TWO Q1 wins.

PC and Carter would've put up a significantly better fight than the slop that UVA put out there.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Blue Man wrote: 1 month ago
Yeah I agree. For all the short-sighted celebrating that PC didn't make it, that should be more concerning than not.

When URI is underseeded or left out, the appropriate response is "beat some good teams, and don't lose to bad ones." PC did just that. PC had SIX Q1 wins. SIX. And ZERO bad losses in Q3 or Q4. If PC can't get in with that kind of resume, that doesn't bode well for URI or A10 schools. The metrics are a joke. And PC, Seton Hall, St Johns, and Indiana State all deserved to be in over Virginia and their TWO Q1 wins.

PC and Carter would've put up a significantly better fight than the slop that UVA put out there.
have you considered that I hate PC?
3 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

I think it was the 9-13 record in Q1 and Q2 games. They had a ton of opportunities and weren't able to capitalize off of it.

The double standard that PC should be mad about is how MSU was a 9 seed with a similar resume.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Couldn’t agree more that UVA got in and the 3 BE teams and Indiana St got left out

I personally think Indiana St was the biggest snub , hope they win the NIT
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 month ago

I think it was the 9-13 record in Q1 and Q2 games. They had a ton of opportunities and weren't able to capitalize off of it.

The double standard that PC should be mad about is how MSU was a 9 seed with a similar resume.
My argument is less about PC and more about future implications for other mid-majors.

The Big East by every metric was either the 2nd or 5th best conference in basketball.

If you have 12 wins in that conference, you should be automatic without any obvious blemishes.

They had SIX Q1 wins and ZERO bad losses. That should be a recipe for any mid-major, never mind power conference team. If people take their rivalry hatred out of it, this would be a reason for a riot. There's something incredibly wrong with the metric system if a team that had a similar number of wins/losses, yet only 2 Q1 wins vs 6 Q1 wins, gets in by a landslide over a team like PC. Especially when said Virginia team got blown out by the same top 25 Wisconsin team PC beat.

If Rhody hadn't lost 10 shitty Q3/Q4 games this year, we'd be clamoring for a bid because we had zero bad losses. But the rational of our crew would point out we had no Q1 wins, so we got what we deserved.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL