Archie Miller Coaches Shows

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Re: Archie Miller Coaches Shows

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 months ago
Jersey77 wrote: 2 months ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 2 months ago

Still counts though, because they still felt like they had a good chance per Archie. Either way, it was still unfortunate for us that he wasn't ruled eligible when half of the other 2 time transfers were inexplicably ruled eligible.

The point is we haven't had a full roster healthy and eligible at any point in the last two seasons. Which makes the beginning of a rebuild that much harder, but yeah, guys sure! Not having your entire roster available one time in two seasons is totally normal😂
Regarding Green, Archie had said that bringing him in was worth the gamble even if he had to sit.
And as pointed out by Ramster, the majority of all the waivers submitted by multi=transfers were denied.
Actually, in the A10 Woody Newton (GM) was the only one to have his waiver approved because of his father's death.

PRT, it almost sounds like you are making excuses for the team's performance this season.
Like I said almost every team has had its share of bad luck this season, just look at the A10.

But aside from all that, I have seen enough from our team to have some optimism for next season.
This year, I didn't have high expectations or much hope anyway.
Yup, all he's saying is "the refs sucks every game we lose and we're so hurt every year, every game."

Two of the laziest excuses you can have talking about our season.

The #1 reason we are where we are right now is because of our nonexistent defense.

Offense is fine.
Yeah nope I don't complain about the refs every game. When they are bad I do. That is a bs take.

I'm not excusing anything. You're inventing that in your head, but sorry everyone, not having a full roster available for the first two years of a rebuild has made it harder. That is not disputable and it will WILD that I've been attacked for pointing out the obvious and charged with making excuses, after I said I'm not excusing our suck! Amazing.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

You do realize that when they brought Green in, his eligibility this season was a major question mark, especially with the multi-transfer rule in January of '23.
Still counts though, because they still felt like they had a good chance per Archie. Either way, it was still unfortunate for us that he wasn't ruled eligible when half of the other 2 time transfers were inexplicably ruled eligible.

The point is we haven't had a full roster healthy and eligible at any point in the last two seasons. Which makes the beginning of a rebuild that much harder, but yeah, guys sure! Not having your entire roster available one time in two seasons is totally normal😂
Regarding Green, Archie had said that bringing him in was worth the gamble even if he had to sit.
And as pointed out by Ramster, the majority of all the waivers submitted by multi=transfers were denied.
Actually, in the A10 Woody Newton (GM) was the only one to have his waiver approved because of his father's death.

PRT, it almost sounds like you are making excuses for the team's performance this season.
Like I said almost every team has had its share of bad luck this season, just look at the A10.

But aside from all that, I have seen enough from our team to have some optimism for next season.
Ya'll are just missing my main point. Who cares about whether or not we EXPECTED Green to play. I'm pointing out that we haven't had a full roster available for two seasons. From players being eligible, kicking guys off the team, to injuries.

Haven't excused our suck at all. Where am I excusing us losing to bad teams and not defending anybody? Just acknowledging that we have had some crap luck with our roster that has no doubt made everything worse.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bad luck for the PC too

And he left out Justyn Fernandez out for the year with knee problem

0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Yup, all he's saying is "the refs sucks every game we lose and we're so hurt every year, every game."

The #1 reason we are where we are right now is because of our nonexistent defense.

Offense is fine.
Coming from the guy that thinks GW is talented. Lazy talent evaluation.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ramster wrote: 2 months ago Bad luck for the PC too

Someone please tell me the point of calling him Kim David English Jr... Is the next step to knight him and call him Sir Kim David English Jr. ?
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

sevegny7 wrote: 2 months ago

Offense is fine.
Individually talented, yes.

Complete underachieving, Caputo is doing a terrible job.
1 x
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 months ago
ramster wrote: 2 months ago Bad luck for the PC too

Someone please tell me the point of calling him Kim David English Jr... Is the next step to knight him and call him Sir Kim David English Jr. ?
Yeah I just was going to comment on that jeez
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

sevegny7 wrote: 2 months ago

Offense is fine.
Individually talented, yes.

Complete underachieving, Caputo is doing a terrible job.
In no way after watching the URI-GW and the GMU-GW game does GW have players more talented than URI. Not more talented individually or as a group or any which way to look at it. Sounds like a case of MBI.......................Minimum Basketball Intelligence. Should get this checked out.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Ya'll are just missing my main point. Who cares about whether or not we EXPECTED Green to play. I'm pointing out that we haven't had a full roster available for two seasons. From players being eligible, kicking guys off the team, to injuries.

Haven't excused our suck at all. Where am I excusing us losing to bad teams and not defending anybody? Just acknowledging that we have had some crap luck with our roster that has no doubt made everything worse.
I get it PRT, but you can probably say the same for most of the teams in our conference, about not having a full roster available.
We also played several teams in our conference who were missing their top players.
I was originally just questioning your statement " worst luck ever."
But then you had responded it was just a hyperbole, so yeah just an overstated exaggeration.

Take a look at SLU, aside from Travis Ford being on the hot seat.
Starting forward Tim Dalger (10 pts) left the team because of personal issues, no longer on the roster.
Leading scorer Sincere Parker missed a large part of the season due to injury.
Multi-transfer center Brad Ezewiro also denied a waiver became available when Green did.

My point is, I don't think we have been any worse off in that regard than many of the teams in our conference.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Going. Anyone else?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Any nuggets to share for those that attended ??
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 2 months ago Any nuggets to share for those that attended ??
It is tonite, I’ll be listening.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote: 2 months ago
bigappleram wrote: 2 months ago Any nuggets to share for those that attended ??
It is tonite, I’ll be listening.
7 pm tonight. Last scheduled show of the year
IMG_2238.jpeg
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Zek Montgomery will be joining Miller at the Mews tonight
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Have to assume we’ll get a Green update.
0 x
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 2 months ago Zek Montgomery will be joining Miller at the Mews tonight
Yes thanks please post your excellent recaps like you usually do , thanks in Advance
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

section(105) wrote: 2 months ago Going. Anyone else?
We will be there!
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Green is questionable for Sunday, hasn't practiced this week, but maybe some on Friday and Saturday.
Nothing serious though.

Ways still has shoulder and arm pain, also questionable for Sunday.
3 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 months ago Green is questionable for Sunday, hasn't practiced this week, but maybe some on Friday and Saturday.
Nothing serious though.

Ways still has shoulder and arm pain, also questionable for Sunday.
Thanks for the updates on both players, Jersey.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Went, turnout < meh, not a surprise. Nothing to add regarding player info, Interesting to hear from Zek on family background, his role on team etc. Would have been nice for Archie to walk another 20 ft. down the bar to say hello to 5 fans before exiting. OK, maybe that his not his thing, but come on man.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

section(105) wrote: 2 months ago Went, turnout < meh, not a surprise. Nothing to add regarding player info, Interesting to hear from Zek on family background, his role on team etc. Would have been nice for Archie to walk another 20 ft. down the bar to say hello to 5 fans before exiting. OK, maybe that his not his thing, but come on man.
L. O. L.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

section(105) wrote: 2 months ago Went, turnout < meh, not a surprise. Nothing to add regarding player info, Interesting to hear from Zek on family background, his role on team etc. Would have been nice for Archie to walk another 20 ft. down the bar to say hello to 5 fans before exiting. OK, maybe that his not his thing, but come on man.
Only 5 people went? Jesus Christ.
0 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Notes from the Event tonight:
David Green had an awkward landing on a layup. He tweaked his knee and had significant swelling after the landing. David is on the road to recovery so it is good that we have a bye week. We will see where we are at Friday or Saturday. David has not practiced this week yet. Hopefully he gets on the court Friday (tomorrow).
David had actually planned on having a knee procedure during the offseason after he learned that his wavier had been rejected but then plans changed when eligibility was granted and the knee procedure was put off.

Always Wright had a shoulder issue, a muscular deal, some pinching going on in his shoulder that has worked its way down into his arm. He has been off for 12 days now with no practice. We need another ball handler, need more quickness in our backcourt. Hopefully we can get Always back during the next 3 weeks. Lot of pressure on Luis to play almost the entire game now.

For the George Washington game, David was sick all week, made the decision not to travel which was a wise move. Zek was a much more aggressive practice player. He knew he had to be aggressive vs GW and he knew he was not coming out. Zek was the best player on the floor vs GW.

When we play smaller we tend to stand around too much. We need to work on that.

Forcing turnovers and getting more steals has been an improvement the last 3 games. Better defense to offense last 3 games.

Poor last 3 minutes of the 1st half vs UMASS and a terrible start to the 2nd half vs UMASS. Miller brought up blocking out on the foul line vs UMASS as an opportunity..

Not sure there is a more physical team in college basketball right now than Loyola Chicago.

David has really helped the 3 point shooting. Having David out there instead of Fuchs and Brown at the same time has improved the 3 point game as he gives another 3 point shooter on the floor.

Cam Estevez - since Always has gone out now Cam becomes the 2nd ball handler. Need to have Cam available in case Kortright goes out. He has not really been demoted, it's just different with Wright out. Miller thinks Cam is due for a blow out game. Very few freshmen in this league are getting to play, it's mostly older players on the floor. Fuchs is getting asked to guard the other team's 25 year old big men. Fuchs and Estevez are playing a lot and there are probably not 5 other freshmen in the A10 playing more minutes than these 2 freshmen.

Loyola has really bought in on the defensive end. Strength in the older guys. Sheldon Edwards has really come on. Watson has added a real physical piece. Loyola is grabbing, holding, shoving - playing a very physical type game. Have to be ready for physical game both offensively and defensively.

A10 is far deeper, much better than a year ago. Less separation between teams. VCU, Loyola and Richmond have really found it in league play.

There are probably 8 teams that could win the A10 Tournament. There are teams that if they can win their 1st game in the A10 Tournament that could potentially go a long way.

Thinks we have plenty of basketball ahead of us. We are trying to put this team on track to win some games come tournament time.

Zek Interview
Did not start playing organized basketball until he was 14. His birthday is September 30 (same day as Steve :D )

Zek says he likes to play for his family name. He is the first in his family to play D1 basketball. Zek is the oldest of 7 children. Zek played QB, Wide Receiver and some running back too. He thinks he could have been college good if he had stuck with it.

Zek, mom and Uncle made the decision to move him from Louisville to St Louis because of Covid. Did not think things were going to start back up in Louisville. Went to St Louis by himself to play basketball and it was a hard move.

Kenny Johnson used to coach him in High School. Zek wanted to move to the A10 to play at a higher level and at a faster pace.

He had a couple of injuries and with DG coming back it was an adjustment.

Already knew what he had to do with DG out for the GW game.

Zek describes himself as a Big Guard as opposed to a Small Forward.

In his eyes he believes this team can win the league.

If one thing he can improve on and bring to this team moving forward he said was to improve his defense. He wants to be stronger on transition defense, the first 7 seconds the other team has the ball.

Last time he had 30 points was when he was playing in St Louis.

Hometown Questions from Steve:
1. Most famous athlete from Louisville? Rajon Rondo.......... Steve said Mohammed Ali. Zek has met Rondo.
2. Where is Kentucky Derby Run? ..........Churchill Downs
3. Current NFL MVP who played at Louisville? Lamar Jackson
4 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Great job as always Ramster !
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

At the bar 5, couple of other tables with staff, few fans. Seem to be others eating in back there were just there, probably not for the radio show. Right in front of radio table, a couple, huge fans, were passed by. Basically Archie left the radio table, said a few hellos, said good nite and headed down stairs. I am no doubt making more of this than necessary, but this bothered me. I am young and will get over it. Out.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

No one goes there because the parking is such a clusterduck
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 months ago
As Yogi Berra used to say..."Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded".
3 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

hahaha i was gunna say that is a podunk town state of mind statement lol
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I’m guessing probably a personality thing , it is what it is , I’m glad we are getting more long pressers before games
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rhodysurf wrote: 2 months ago

lol...and that was totally my point...I couldn't have made it last night, otherwise, still not sure I venture out on a work night to see a coach and not get to say hi to him. I'm probably 5 minutes away from Mews. I talked to Hurls at all of the coaches shows he did that I went to. He was that kinda dude and you knew it, so you went, figuring, if you wanted to, you could talk to him. I mean, he signed a ball (eta: basketball :lol: ) for me at one of them. So, just trying to figure out why, last night, I'd go there, deal with (yogi berra pun totally intended) parkfest and not even get to say hi to the dude?...lol...why? So I could say "I was there"? Seriously?
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

lol...and that was totally my point...I couldn't have made it last night, otherwise, still not sure I venture out on a work night to see a coach and not get to say hi to him. I'm probably 5 minutes away from Mews. I talked to Hurls at all of the coaches shows he did that I went to. He was that kinda dude and you knew it, so you went, figuring, if you wanted to, you could talk to him. I mean, he signed a ball (eta: basketball :lol: ) for me at one of them. So, just trying to figure out why, last night, I'd go there, deal with (yogi berra pun totally intended) parkfest and not even get to say hi to the dude?...lol...why? So I could say "I was there"? Seriously?
Yea v true. Archie has none of Danny’s charisma and down to earthness
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Very true. I talked to DH at every event. He was so approachable and just a really good dude. He would take the hard questions as well. And give an honest answer.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Much like Belichick, as long as Archie turns this place around and becomes a winner here I could not care any less if he's a massive curmudgeon
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 months ago Much like Belichick, as long as Archie turns this place around and becomes a winner here I could not care any less if he's a massive curmudgeon
Agree, but let’s get the sustained winning thing going.
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 months ago Much like Belichick, as long as Archie turns this place around and becomes a winner here I could not care any less if he's a massive curmudgeon
Agreed. The problem is however that we are presently not winning. He has been at the helm for two disappointing seasons which followed two previous bad seasons. Fans are growing weary and outreach can only help given the current conditions.
1 x
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

Dan’s shows were much more entertaining.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RF1 wrote: 2 months ago
Agreed. The problem is however that we are presently not winning. He has been at the helm for two disappointing seasons which followed two previous bad seasons. Fans are growing weary and outreach can only help given the current conditions.
Last year, I figured would be ugly, maybe not as bad as where we finished at 14, but I was willing to give him a pass.

This season, my feelings are mixed, I wasn't overly optimistic and was being cautious, but still somewhat disappointed at a few of those bad loses. If we can finish strong and play competitive in these last 7 games, I will be good with that.

Again, as said many times, if we retain our core players and youth, I will expect a big jump next season and feel positive going forward.

Today's college landscape is much different.
I think Archie needs to connect with the players to maintain some type of continuity going forward, avoiding those massive portal departures.
Also, and almost as important he needs to connect to the fan base to maintain their financial support whether it be attending the games and/or helping to fund the program. He certainly can't alienate that group.

So yeah, I guess I have some guarded optimism, but at this time I still trust the staff.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Archie’s fan outreach, demeanor, attitude at these type of events really shouldn’t be a surprise.

He was this same way at Dayton as was posted here by a fan of them.

Yes they were winning, but just don’t think that type of stuff is what Archie is made for.
1 x
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Archie’s pretty active in social media which is a plus.
1 x
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Last year, I figured would be ugly, maybe not as bad as where we finished at 14, but I was willing to give him a pass.

This season, my feelings are mixed, I wasn't overly optimistic and was being cautious, but still somewhat disappointed at a few of those bad loses. If we can finish strong and play competitive in these last 7 games, I will be good with that.

Again, as said many times, if we retain our core players and youth, I will expect a big jump next season and feel positive going forward.

I think Archie needs to connect with the players to maintain some type of continuity going forward, avoiding those massive portal departures.
Also, and almost as important he needs to connect to the fan base to maintain their financial support whether it be attending the games and/or helping to fund the program. He certainly can't alienate that group.

So yeah, I guess I have some guarded optimism, but at this time I still trust the staff.
And that's the concern. Connecting with people doesn't seem to be Archie's strong point. I can't picture him schmoozing with the big donors. As for the players, it seems you have to have a degree in psychology these days to learn how to handle players. A lot of them don't like the hard coaching. Some need to be coddled(which I hate, btw). Players seem they would rather play for a players coach. I hate to admit, but English seems to be one of those. I don't think Archie is. Hurley does both. He coaches hard, but also seems to know how to handle each individual player. As you say, that's the current landscape. Coaches need to schmooze and coddle (once again, I hate that). Andrea Hurley was also very involved with the players. She did a lot for them. Players love that kind of stuff. I'm not sure Archie's wife does that. Maybe she does. I have no idea. But I haven't heard anything about it. Times have changed, and in my opinion, not for the better.
4 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

And that's the concern. Connecting with people doesn't seem to be Archie's strong point. I can't picture him schmoozing with the big donors. As for the players, it seems you have to have a degree in psychology these days to learn how to handle players. A lot of them don't like the hard coaching. Some need to be coddled(which I hate, btw). Players seem they would rather play for a players coach. I hate to admit, but English seems to be one of those. I don't think Archie is. Hurley does both. He coaches hard, but also seems to know how to handle each individual player. As you say, that's the current landscape. Coaches need to schmooze and coddle (once again, I hate that). Andrea Hurley was also very involved with the players. She did a lot for them. Players love that kind of stuff. I'm not sure Archie's wife does that. Maybe she does. I have no idea. But I haven't heard anything about it. Times have changed, and in my opinion, not for the better.
Yeah BB78 hard to argue with that.
Dan was very tough on the players at times, but they also knew he genuinely cared about them.
There does need to be a good balance now to be able to sustain success and continuity in the program.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

DH and Arch seem like opposites with their personalities, that’s fine it comes down to results on the court !
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

AND?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

McRam wrote: 2 months ago

AND?
Aaannnd....that makes going to the coach's shows pointless? (that was my point anyway)
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Doubt there will be a show to wrap up the season and the path forward, regarding NIL, portal departures and arrivals, status of KJ etc. Don’t think one was scheduled. Archie playing cards close to his vest, as he should with so many significant unknowns. Maybe some some time down the road, when roster turnover and other things up in the air landed there will be one. Maybe one of his press availability sessions?
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

section(105) wrote: 1 month ago Doubt there will be a show to wrap up the season and the path forward, regarding NIL, portal departures and arrivals, status of KJ etc. Don’t think one was scheduled. Archie playing cards close to his vest, as he should with so many significant unknowns. Maybe some some time down the road, when roster turnover and other things up in the air landed there will be one. Maybe one of his press availability sessions?
Pretty sure there’s never been a wrap up show at the end of the season.
0 x
Go Rhody
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

section(105) wrote: 1 month ago Doubt there will be a show to wrap up the season and the path forward, regarding NIL, portal departures and arrivals, status of KJ etc. Don’t think one was scheduled. Archie playing cards close to his vest, as he should with so many significant unknowns. Maybe some some time down the road, when roster turnover and other things up in the air landed there will be one. Maybe one of his press availability sessions?
We don't need to hear from the Arch about the current state of our program. We've all been watching it for many, many years.
1 x
:lol:
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 month ago
Pretty sure there’s never been a wrap up show at the end of the season.
NO, but we have attended a few end of the season dinners/banquets with the team. I recall one at Quidnessett and one at Waterplace Park.
1 x