Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel and Portal - 2024-25

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel and Portal - 2024-25

Unread post by Jersey77 »

RF1 wrote: 1 month ago
LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 month ago Not sure if this is the place to put this, but an interesting article on the state of college basketball in good ol' Olean.
Transfer portalling, players behavior, and declining the NIT.

https://www.oleantimesherald.com/newsle ... ce9b5.html
Update:

As good a coach Schmidt is, they still never advanced past the round of 64 in the NCAAT.

Their 21-22 team was loaded and didn't "Dance", very disappointing.

This season they also underachieved.

They lose plenty this year and Schmidt needs to reload in the portal.
They also have no recruits committed for 24-25.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 month ago
LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 month ago Not sure if this is the place to put this, but an interesting article on the state of college basketball in good ol' Olean.

Update:

As good a coach Schmidt is, they still never advanced past the round of 64 in the NCAAT.

You still have to give St Bonaventure a lot of credit for fielding a decent team most seasons. It is very small school with an undergrad enrollment just below 2k. Its endowment is less than $100M with LaSalle being the only other A-10 member with a lower figure. The city of Olean has under 14k residents (for ref S Kingstown alone has over 30k not incl student and summer residents) with no other big towns in the surrounding area. Buffalo is over 70 miles away and it is not connected by a large multi lane interstate limited access highway. It is amazing that they are able to compete in the present college basketball landscape given all the disadvantages they face.
Last edited by RF1 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Update:

You still have to give St Bonaventure a lot of credit for fielding a decent team most seasons. It is very small school with an undergrad enrollment just below 2k. Its endowment is less than $100M with LaSalle being the only other A-10 member with a lower figure. The city of Olean has under 14k residents with no other big towns in the surrounding area. Buffalo is over 70 miles away and it is not connected by a large multi lane interstate limited access highway.
Yes, I can't take anything away from what Schmidt has done there.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

With the way things are in the sport today and a new AD coming in, I wonder how much longer Schmidt decides to stay around in Olean ?

Could he retire ?

Could he go the Phil Martelli route (but via resignation vs firing) and take a big paying P6 assistants job to help a young coach with X’s and O’s, scouting, game planning, etc ?

Interesting times for coaches with significant experience before the NIL/Portal era.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Update:

https://www.thebvnewspaper.com/2024/03/ ... ntroversy/

Joe...you can't say the quiet parts out loud, silly!

“If they tell us they’re leaving and then we say, ‘Guys, we got one more game so suit up.’ That’s rolling the dice on what kids are going to do.” said Manhertz. “How much are they going to give?”

When referring to the aforementioned ESPN graphic, Manhertz emphasized Bonaventure’s position among Power Five schools in postseason play.

“Pitt, Syracuse UCLA, do we not want to be associated with them?” said Manhertz. “Do you think recruits that we want, want to say ‘Yeah, I want to be in that group”? Or ‘Do I want to be in the NIT?’”
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 month ago With the way things are in the sport today and a new AD coming in, I wonder how much longer Schmidt decides to stay around in Olean ?

Could he retire ?

Could he go the Phil Martelli route (but via resignation vs firing) and take a big paying P6 assistants job to help a young coach with X’s and O’s, scouting, game planning, etc ?

Interesting times for coaches with significant experience before the NIL/Portal era.
Yes he has been there quite awhile and his name was hot a couple years ago when they were good with Osi and Lofton

Wonder if he sticks around with the changes ?
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

reef wrote: 1 month ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 month ago With the way things are in the sport today and a new AD coming in, I wonder how much longer Schmidt decides to stay around in Olean ?

Could he retire ?

Yes he has been there quite awhile and his name was hot a couple years ago when they were good with Osi and Lofton

I could see going, bye bye, he probably just wants to coach hoops and not deal with all the stuff now facing these coaches.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 1 month ago

Could he retire ?

I could see going, bye bye, he probably just wants to coach hoops and not deal with all the stuff now facing these coaches.
Like all coaches, I am sure he is frustrated with today's situation.

But he isn't going to retire, still too young at 61. and not going to walk away from that contract.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Good size, Jersey.

He avg’d 11 pts, 6 rebs, .6 blocks and 27 min/gm.

Shot 56% from the field; not quite 60% on FT’s.

I forgot Durogordon was at Sienna. He avg’d 18 pts and 7 rebs per gm.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 month ago
Good size, Jersey.

I saw some videos on him, looks quick for his size.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

My bad if this was already posted but I didn’t see it
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Good size, Jersey.

I saw some videos on him, looks quick for his size.
Is Rhody involved?
1 x
GO RAMS
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I don’t know, 05, but we probably should be since we are down 2 bigs (Fou and Brown).
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 month ago I don’t know, 05, but we probably should be since we are down 2 bigs (Fou and Brown).
3* with Bilau taking up a scholarship
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Tony Skinn and George Mason not wasting any time in the portal.
This would be an excellent pick-up for them.

0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

We should do like Wagner and play with 6 guys that don't receive a NIL and a pair of guys from the football team.

Might as well go full underdog in the A10.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unlike GMU, I guess we are back into stealth mode, Jersey.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Jersey77 wrote: 1 month ago Tony Skinn and George Mason not wasting any time in the portal.

Ya, Anderson is a solid player. I would be surprised if he shot the three that well again. He shot 50% from 3 in the conference. However, the ASUN sucks. We already have a 6'7 shooter in Green, so I'm not sure if Anderson is someone we would go after. IDK what's going on with Hammond, but based on us offering multiple small guards, I'm assuming he's out. We need a better point guard. If Luis and House are staying, they can both play off the ball, and Luis can play backup guard duties. Archie needs to land a true point guard who can run the offense, defend, and hopefully score. I know that's easier said than done.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 month ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 month ago Tony Skinn and George Mason not wasting any time in the portal.

Ya, Anderson is a solid player. I would be surprised if he shot the three that well again. He shot 50% from 3 in the conference. However, the ASUN sucks. We already have a 6'7 shooter in Green, so I'm not sure if Anderson is someone we would go after. IDK what's going on with Hammond, but based on us offering multiple small guards, I'm assuming he's out. We need a better point guard. If Luis and House are staying, they can both play off the ball, and Luis can play backup guard duties. Archie needs to land a true point guard who can run the offense, defend, and hopefully score. I know that's easier said than done.
Anderson would give GM solid depth, and a back-up plan if Hall leaves.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 month ago Unlike GMU, I guess we are back into stealth mode, Jersey.
Stealth mode huh?

Multiple posts about players we’ve reached out to.

Let’s stop with this stealth shit.
1 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 1 month ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 month ago Unlike GMU, I guess we are back into stealth mode, Jersey.
Stealth mode huh?

Multiple posts about players we’ve reached out to.

Let’s stop with this stealth shit.
have to admit..it was kinda cool back then...'til they started playing :lol:
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

My level of confidence in whoever we get is not very high right now.

Since just about every transfer we've gotten the last 2 years has been over rated.

The proof is in the playing.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Anderson is from Apopka Florida and went to Apopka HS

David Green is from Apopka Florida and went to Ocoee HS which is 14 miles from Apopka HS

Worth reaching out to Anderson?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 month ago

Anderson is from Apopka Florida and went to Apopka HS

David Green is from Apopka Florida and went to Ocoee HS which is 14 miles from Apopka HS

Worth reaching out to Anderson?
Good find Ramster, yeah maybe.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago My level of confidence in whoever we get is not very high right now.

Since just about every transfer we've gotten the last 2 years has been over rated.

I admit, Bone, that I am jaded as far as the portal is concerned. I am not high on lower level players coming in to make us NCAAT contenders.

Lower level players make nice bench pieces but they are not likely to elevate us back to relevance. But, like I said, I am jaded at the moment.

Perhaps there are lower level portal players out there who will surprise me or perhaps we are in STEALTH mode with higher level players. That would be a nice surprise.
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I don't see how you can play Green and Anderson on the floor together. So, my guess is one would have to come off the bench. I don't think either is quick enough to play the 3 or big enough to play the 5. I'll always take a shooter, but I think Archie will prioritize our biggest needs first. We don't seem to be in the mix for Anderson, so it doesn't really matter. I'm also not giving up on Zek. He has proven he can be a good D1 player. Also, don't forget about Farrell. He's another 6'7 defending wing/forward. Hopefully, an offseason where our core guys focus on improving their individual and team defense will help.

But I agree with Rambone. I'm not believing any hype anymore. Before this season, I was hearing things like House is the next Terrell, and Green is an all-conference player. Zek is a great two-way wing. Fuchs is gonna be in the mix for the freshman of the year... There was a lot of hype coming from our staff/people that watched our practice. I didn't think there was any shot we would be as bad as we ended up being. Archie said all the right things, and he used to outcoach Dan, so I had zero doubts that he wouldn't succeed. So I personally hyped up plenty of players because I trusted Archie completely. I was wrong on plenty of them. Which sucks... At this stage, it's time to prove it.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago My level of confidence in whoever we get is not very high right now.

I admit, Bone, that I am jaded as far as the portal is concerned. I am not high on lower level players coming in to make us NCAAT contenders.

Lower level players make nice bench pieces but they are not likely to elevate us back to relevance. But, like I said, I am jaded at the moment.

Perhaps there are lower level portal players out there who will surprise me or perhaps we are in STEALTH mode with higher level players. That would be a nice surprise.
I don't think we are in stealth mode, but maybe i'm wrong... I believe we are one of the worst teams in the country. Our top assistant has one foot out the door. Our head coach's reputation worsens as he continues to have bad season after bad season. We are not an attractive option right now.

I think our best shot of really improving is our current players making a jump. Cam has plenty of potential. Maybe he will take a jump. Fuchs looked quicker and stronger to me as the year went on. I think he'll be even better. Green can play a full season and should improve. Can we get the Zek from earlier in the year? If House comes back, I think he will become a more efficient player. He had his moments this year where he was our best scorer and defender out there. He has the ability; we just need him to be more consistent. Luis may be best playing off the ball in more of a scoring/attacking role. He's probably our most clutch player. If all our guys take a jump and Archie lands a couple of good starters, we could make a jump like Loyola. I don't think he will land a star in the portal, but if he can land a David Green or Jaden House type of get, we could have a deeper and better team..
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I wonder if Hammond is waiting for the KJ decision to decide whether to decommit or not.

Looks that way to me right now.

I think we will be a fair amount better if he stays

If not, my money's on more sucking.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah let’s hope for the best on Hammond ! Need some good news and 1 key player can go a long way on improving that win loss record !
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago I wonder if Hammond is waiting for the KJ decision to decide whether to decommit or not.

Bone, tell me you are not relying on 1 freshman to rectify this program. Please
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Drums, don't be too jaded on players coming from lower-level schools, just need to find the right fit.

Look at the players below who are All-A10 (2024) and where they came from:

Josh Cohen (UMass) - St Francis (Pa)
Jordan King (Richmond) - ETSU, Siena
Neal Quinn (Richmond) - Lafayette
Dae Dae Grant (Duquesne) - Miami (Ohio)
Jimmy Clark (Duquesne) - Northwest Florida
Phillip Alston (Loyola) - California (Pa)
Braden Norris (Loyola) - Oakland
Chad Venning (Bonnies) - Morgan State

Plus there were many others that were solid A10 players but didn't make all-conference.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

I don't think we are in stealth mode, but maybe i'm wrong... I believe we are one of the worst teams in the country. Our top assistant has one foot out the door. Our head coach's reputation worsens as he continues to have bad season after bad season. We are not an attractive option right now.

I think our best shot of really improving is our current players making a jump. Cam has plenty of potential. Maybe he will take a jump. Fuchs looked quicker and stronger to me as the year went on. I think he'll be even better. Green can play a full season and should improve. Can we get the Zek from earlier in the year? If House comes back, I think he will become a more efficient player. He had his moments this year where he was our best scorer and defender out there. He has the ability; we just need him to be more consistent. Luis may be best playing off the ball in more of a scoring/attacking role. He's probably our most clutch player. If all our guys take a jump and Archie lands a couple of good starters, we could make a jump like Loyola. I don't think he will land a star in the portal, but if he can land a David Green or Jaden House type of get, we could have a deeper and better team..
OK, sure. I still wonder the needed speed, three point shooting, and greatly needed improvement in the defense will come from.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

section(105) wrote: 1 month ago

OK, sure. I still wonder the needed speed, three point shooting, and greatly needed improvement in the defense will come from.
Personally, I'm not too worried about the 3-point shooting. We were a decent scoring team last year, and we didn't even have a true point guard. We will bring one in this year; hopefully, it's still Hammond. Hammond is very fast. The guards we have gone after so far in the portal are quick guards as well for the most part... I expect our offense to improve once we have a legitimate starting point guard. But yes, we need to land some defenders, and our returning core needs to improve defensively. If we get more stops, that will also help our offense. I think Archie will ensure he doesn't have a horrible defensive team again. He was miserable after so many losses where our defense was embarrassing. I'm sure that's at the top of his list of needs since we already have some scorers on the roster.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

theblueram wrote: 1 month ago
rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago I wonder if Hammond is waiting for the KJ decision to decide whether to decommit or not.

Bone, tell me you are not relying on 1 freshman to rectify this program. Please
I am. A really good, legit point guard changes everything. He makes everyone else better. He allows us to play the style that Archie wants to play. If we lose him, it's devastating.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Appreciate the voice of reason, Jersey. You always make good sense. 👍🏼

Since I made the jaded post I’ve been thinking about portal strategy for us. As an aside, it (which level conference players to focus on) is an interesting topic for me.

Does a program like Rhody (high mid-major type programs) focus on the better players from lower level conferences, focus on undervalued or players not getting as much PT as they sincerely believe they should ( not talking locker room poisoning head cases here ) from higher level conferences or focus on a combination of lower level and higher level players ?

That said, It likely makes the most sense to focus on a combination.

But personally, I think I would scour the rosters of higher programs for my players - thinking that they practice against better players day in and day out, play in games against more higher level opponents, play in big time venues and environments so less likely to be intimidated in relevant games, etc.

I am just spit-balling here but I am interested in where other posters would put their focus if they were coaching at a program similar to Rhody and why ?

Have had it.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Stealth 🥷 train 🚂 is rolling!

(Unfortunately so far it’s resulted in a train wreck)
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Drums, don't be too jaded on players coming from lower-level schools, just need to find the right fit.

Plus there were many others that were solid A10 players but didn't make all-conference.
It’s a really good point and that’s where having a really good GM to scour the film and determine the right fits in the portal , we have to hit on that this season or it’s going to be more of .500 or worse
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

It’s a really good point and that’s where having a really good GM to scour the film and determine the right fits in the portal , we have to hit on that this season or it’s going to be more of .500 or worse
It is a critical offseason, Reef.

Did you read my question a few posts back ? I am interested in your thoughts as well as others here.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

We have to, unfortunately, fit players into the NIL budget as a major consideration. Regardless of coming from higher or lower conferences.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

It is a critical offseason, Reef.

Did you read my question a few posts back ? I am interested in your thoughts as well as others here.
Yes I did and I really don’t know the answer , it’s very competitive out there and whatever players we do target better be better than the ones we got last year
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

section(105) wrote: 1 month ago We have to, unfortunately, fit players into the NIL budget as a major consideration. Regardless of coming from higher or lower conferences.
Maybe we just give players a few thousand tix each game? Seems we need to fit more fans in the stands as well. Next year might not be pretty.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I’ve always been skeptical of lower conference players. Yes, there are exceptions, but they should be excelling in those low conferences. If they aren’t, they don’t do well in the A10. Stats matter.
0 x
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I don't think that one spot is responsible for sucking or not. At this point, if Hammond comes here, you have no guarantee it's beyond one year.
So, grab someone from the waiver wire that has already shown they are better than a freshman would be...and it's no biggie.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 month ago I’ve always been skeptical of lower conference players. Yes, there are exceptions, but they should be excelling in those low conferences. If they aren’t, they don’t do well in the A10. Stats matter.
What do you think of David Green?

His stats and minutes at La. Tech and Hofstra weren't very impressive, yet he led us in scoring this past season and many here consider him our best player.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 month ago

I don't think that one spot is responsible for sucking or not. At this point, if Hammond comes here, you have no guarantee it's beyond one year.
So, grab someone from the waiver wire that has already shown they are better than a freshman would be...and it's no biggie.

Very insightful post above from NYG, imho.

I really like Hammond. He’s “potentially” the floor general type player I would love to watch running our O. I really want to watch him play here.

But then, now I wonder - with the portal and no sit rule - if he will ever be here long enough to reach his full potential; will we ever see him at his best here ? Or, are we better with an experienced college player at his best ?

It is a big conundrum for me. Very frustrating.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 month ago

Very insightful post above from NYG, imho.

I really like Hammond. He’s “potentially” the floor general type player I would love to watch running our O. I really want to watch him play here.

But then, now I wonder - with the portal and no sit rule - if will he ever be here long enough to reach his full potential; will we ever see him at his best here ? Or, are we better with an experienced college player at his best ?

It is a big conundrum for me. Very frustrating.
Until Rhody is stacked...just keep getting better players - regardless of years left.
Not turning over the roster for turning the roster's sake, but getting a better player in exchange for every one that leaves.
Then, when stacked, think about maybe developing some...otherwise, just try to stay stacked.
Divert all the $$ spent recruiting high schoolers to the NIL fund.

tl;dr: Yes, drummer, "we are better with an experienced college player..."
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 month ago I’ve always been skeptical of lower conference players. Yes, there are exceptions, but they should be excelling in those low conferences. If they aren’t, they don’t do well in the A10. Stats matter.
What do you think of David Green?

His stats and minutes at La. Tech and Hofstra weren't very impressive, yet he led us in scoring this past season and many here consider him our best player.
I'm always looking at the per-40s for guys that didn't play a ton of minutes at lower levels, and assuming they'll do slightly worse than what those numbers are - mostly because A-10 competition is better. I think you always have to take them with a grain of salt, and in combination with what their scouting profile is. But I think it's pretty rare for a guy to be awesome at a lower conference and then completely suck in a better one.

As mentioned earlier, Green's per 40 numbers were pretty close to what he did here. House (lower FGA, FTA) and Montgomery (lower 3PT) were slightly worse than their per-40s. I think it's more surprising when a guy plays completely different (not necessarily worse or better) on a new team. Ish El-Amin comes to mind, who went from throwing up 13.8 and 16.8 FGA/40 at Ball State, to 9.1 at URI and shooting 41.9 percent from 3.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

D1 experience counts nowadays more than ever.

But landing those transfers who have had success at good programs is going to be really hard.

Tons of competition as we are seeing with the long lists of schools that are showing interest immediately after guys enter the portal.

Recruiting freshmen will still a part of the process but as been said by many here, how long will they stay if they turn out to be good?

Those with the biggest NIL budgets will take the best talent and leave the rest fighting over the scraps

Those with the most toys win. And we need a lot of toys.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago D1 experience counts nowadays more than ever.

But landing those transfers who have had success at good programs is going to be really hard.

Tons of competition as we are seeing with the long lists of schools that are showing interest immediately after guys enter the portal.

Recruiting freshmen will still a part of the process but as been said by many here, how long will they stay if they turn out to be good?

Those with the biggest NIL budgets will take the best talent and leave the rest fighting over the scraps

Those with the most toys win. And we need a lot of toys.
I agree, Bone. We will struggle nightly to get the higher program players that have had success ( I am figuring you mean individual success vs team success ). Too much competition.

I was thinking scouring the rosters at that level (the P6) to target the undervalued players. They play off the bench and have a role but at risk of being recruited or portaled over and never start at their P6 program. Under the radar/diamond in the rough type players.

I admit that finding and targeting those types would require a lot of research, regular communication and outreach (tampering?). It just might require a GM type assistant on the staff ?
0 x