Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel and Portal - 2024-25

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel and Portal - 2024-25

Unread post by Rhody15 »

McRam wrote: 1 month ago Does anyone know if our collective is non-profit and if it is, any contribution would be tax deductible?
The collective couldn’t be more for profit.

Not tax deductible.
1 x
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

When you have 350+ teams in D1 that idea wont fly whatsoever.

We are headed to relegation at some point. Just like the soccer leagues.

Competing with the big boys will no longer be possible at some point.

Hate it but it's the truth.
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 month ago
McRam wrote: 1 month ago Does anyone know if our collective is non-profit and if it is, any contribution would be tax deductible?
The collective couldn’t be more for profit.

Not tax deductible.
If you donate as a business, it can be used as marketing expense, if the student tweets about your company.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 month ago Yeah ummmm you’re forgetting somebody…

Actually I am not as I listed all the candidates given SERIOUS consideration with official interviews by the people that were making the hiring decision
Last edited by RF1 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 month ago Not sure if this is the place to put this, but an interesting article on the state of college basketball in good ol' Olean.
Transfer portalling, players behavior, and declining the NIT.

https://www.oleantimesherald.com/newsle ... ce9b5.html
Good read. Thank you for posting the story, LTR.

There certainly is frustration within various fan bases with how college basketball is changing.

I wonder if fan base frustration will grow to the point where some schools will drop their programs down a level or two because fan interest will wane ?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 month ago
LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 month ago Not sure if this is the place to put this, but an interesting article on the state of college basketball in good ol' Olean.

Good read. Thank you for posting the story, LTR.

There certainly is frustration within various fan bases with how college basketball is changing.

I wonder if fan base frustration will grow to the point where some schools will drop their programs down a level or two because fan interest will wane ?

I read regularly read most of the other A-10 fan forums along with some other regional schools. Most fans feel the system is badly broken with things totally out of control. Few think the present NIL and transfer portal situation is sustainable. Most everyone laments the changes to the game with many of them indicating it is causing their interest to wane.
Last edited by RF1 1 month ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RF1 wrote: 1 month ago
rhodylocal wrote: 1 month ago
rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago
And now here we are. Hired a coach on the cheap and paid dearly for it.

After that failure we tried to rectify it with the Archie hire, and so far how has that worked out?

We had our chance and we blew it
Anyone remember what other coaching names were said to be our finalists when we hired Cox? Would be interesting to see where they landed and what their records have been like since we passed on them for Cox.

Link to 2018 search thread:
viewtopic.php?t=7515

Rhodymadness401 wrote: 6 years ago And your finalist are......... The below list of coaches will interview tomoorw in Boston, we should have an answer by Thursday.

1. David Cox
2. John Becker
3. Joe Dooley
4.Micah Shrewsberry

What are your thoughts ?

Given that Cox was already the assistant and had a clause in his contract where he was due money if he did not succeed, it was generally thought the process was more show than real going through the proper state hiring rules posting it and interviewing several candidates.

John Becker has continued to win at Vermont and is in the NCAA once again. Had won the AE and garnered four NCAA bids since 2018. Has been mentioned with several mid level jobs but appears to never have been offered something better. His rep took a bit of a hit with the alleged rape by a starter and admin coverup at UVM.

Joe Dooley took the job at East Carolina that year and has gone 101-119 since 2018 with no postseason bids.

Micah Shrewsbury went on to become head coach at Penn State and now Notre Dame. Three year head coaching record of 50-51 but did get Penn State to the second round of the NCAA in 2023 with a final season record of 23-14.
Becker and Micah S in hindsight would have been better than Cox
1 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

reef wrote: 1 month ago
rhodylocal wrote: 1 month ago

Anyone remember what other coaching names were said to be our finalists when we hired Cox? Would be interesting to see where they landed and what their records have been like since we passed on them for Cox.

viewtopic.php?t=7515

Rhodymadness401 wrote: 6 years ago And your finalist are......... The below list of coaches will interview tomoorw in Boston, we should have an answer by Thursday.

1. David Cox
2. John Becker
3. Joe Dooley
4.Micah Shrewsberry

What are your thoughts ?

Given that Cox was already the assistant and had a clause in his contract where he was due money if he did not succeed, it was generally thought the process was more show than real going through the proper state hiring rules posting it and interviewing several candidates.

John Becker has continued to win at Vermont and is in the NCAA once again. Had won the AE and garnered four NCAA bids since 2018. Has been mentioned with several mid level jobs but appears to never have been offered something better. His rep took a bit of a hit with the alleged rape by a starter and admin coverup at UVM.

Joe Dooley took the job at East Carolina that year and has gone 101-119 since 2018 with no postseason bids.

Micah Shrewsbury went on to become head coach at Penn State and now Notre Dame. Three year head coaching record of 50-51 but did get Penn State to the second round of the NCAA in 2023 with a final season record of 23-14.
Didn't Micah Shrewsbury bolt Penn St after a couple years for Notre Dame? That turmoil might lead to the same point as hiring Cox.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RF1 wrote: 1 month ago This site tracks transfers. Up to 677 as of right now at 11:30am 03-21-2024:

https://verbalcommits.com/transfers
The numbers keep rising (now 702). 25 more players have entered the portal in just the last 2.5 hours.

This is just crazy. The number at 7:30 pm is at 750.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 month ago
reef wrote: 1 month ago

viewtopic.php?t=7515

Yes , Micah was a long term assistant with Brad Stevens @ Butler and the Celtics , we had talent on that team in 18-19 he probably would have gotten us in the tournament and then bolted for a P6

Didn't Micah Shrewsbury bolt Penn St after a couple years for Notre Dame? That turmoil might lead to the same point as hiring Cox.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ramster wrote: 1 month ago
Ramfan22 wrote: 1 month ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 month ago We all know it's bound to happen sometime, but when will we see the first Rhody player: leave Rhody, get better somewhere else, come back and play for Rhody?
It’s going to happen eventually, it’s happening at other schools. A few former URI guys are currently on portal watch.
It be a hoot on this board if Sebastian Thomas were the first and returned as starting PG
and averaged 22 ppg...
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 month ago Yeah ummmm you’re forgetting somebody…
No, those were the four, and only, finalists
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 month ago
Ramfan22 wrote: 1 month ago

It be a hoot on this board if Sebastian Thomas were the first and returned as starting PG
Thomas is on Portal watch, heard he might be entering
Wouldn't it be crazy if he ends up at PC, just kidding.
Be Bassey for a sec...you're probably thinking you could play at either PC or URI ...and since everyone is on a one year deal...
Teams need to focus more on getting and playing talent, not developing it imo. I didn't think he could play in last year's ("hurr durr") structure' and, oh yeah. 'plaaaan', but, if dudes can score, they're going to have places to play.

It's a whole new ballgame when you consider "one year of Bassy vs one year BH" as an actual thing you might have to really deal with...so weird, but hey, we roll on

By the way, good for you, Mr T, go wherever you can cash in!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

PC has Jayden Pierre he’s pretty good
0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Providence’s Garwey Dual plans on entering the transfer portal.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 1 month ago PC has Jayden Pierre he’s pretty good
Pierre had 7 turnovers against Boston College which was equal to the total turnovers that Boston College had. He scored well.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago Never mind the casual fan, but when even the diehards are starting to bail, the alarm bells should be sounding in Thorrs and Parlanges offices.

If Archie is unwilling to adapt and adjust, and continue to force a defensive philosophy that isnt working on his team, maybe change is needed sooner than later.

Players wont stay around long enough to learn the packline. Opponents have figured it out. Look at Virginia. Bennett has just admitted change is needed.
Virginia's problem isn't their defense, their defense is good, but they literally can't score. They're awful to watch. URI had one of their fastest tempo teams and highest scoring teams in history.

Archie's system is actually brilliant when it comes to the transition offense and tempo he likes to play at. It takes a point guard. If we get that guard, we will get good in very short order. We have no problem putting up points, it's a matter of preventing the stalls in the halfcourt and scoring before the defense gets set.

Rhody's problem is they had guys who literally didn't want to play defense. We'd have been as shitty defensively with this roster if we played man-to-man, zone, or anything else.
6 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Blue Man wrote: 1 month ago
rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago Never mind the casual fan, but when even the diehards are starting to bail, the alarm bells should be sounding in Thorrs and Parlanges offices.

If Archie is unwilling to adapt and adjust, and continue to force a defensive philosophy that isnt working on his team, maybe change is needed sooner than later.

Players wont stay around long enough to learn the packline. Opponents have figured it out. Look at Virginia. Bennett has just admitted change is needed.
Virginia's problem isn't their defense, their defense is good, but they literally can't score. They're awful to watch. URI had one of their fastest tempo teams and highest scoring teams in history.

Archie's system is actually brilliant when it comes to the transition offense and tempo he likes to play at. It takes a point guard. If we get that guard, we will get good in very short order. We have no problem putting up points, it's a matter of preventing the stalls in the halfcourt and scoring before the defense gets set.

Rhody's problem is they had guys who literally didn't want to play defense. We'd have been as shitty defensively with this roster if we played man-to-man, zone, or anything else.
I lean towards this line of thinking posted by BlueMan.

I don’t think Archie’s D philosophy was the problem on D this season. I think the problem was the execution of the D due to poor bb IQ, slow reaction on rotations and close outs on 3 pt shooters, laziness and slow foot speed. May as well add in coaching failure too due to not motivating players to give more and better effort consistently.

That doesn’t mean I think the packline D is the answer. But, I’d like to see us play it with good athletes that give above average effort before scrapping it.

Overall, going into the season I thought we would be better than we showed on D and not as productive (scoring average) as we were on O. I did think our scoring avg would rise by a few points over the previous season, however, and that our points against average would drop some.

It turned out the opposite of what I expected in year 2 under Archie. That’s what playing and watching basketball for over 50 yrs did for me and my expectations this season. Ooph!
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Brown's star big just entered the portal, Nana Owusu-Anane (6'8"/220).
I would be all over him, averaged 15 points/ 9 rebs.
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Jersey77 wrote: 1 month ago Brown's star big just entered the portal, Nana Owusu-Anane (6'8"/220).
I would be all over him, averaged 15 points/ 9 rebs.
Good catch, Jersey. Short trip south to Kingston for him and probably reasonable NIL expense too - I am guessing.

We need a few bigs to add to Fuchs.
2 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Realistically, unless Fuchs or Green is transferring, we probably only have minutes for one more big man. Foumena and Brown went from playing a combined 30 to 40 MPG before Green, to splitting 10 to 30 MPG after he was eligible. A guy that can play the 4 and 5 would be useful, with perhaps a big man that's comfortable being a deep reserve. ("Comfortable" is a relative term here, in that I doubt any guy actually wants to just play anywhere from 0 to 15 MPG, but we need at least a warm body as a fourth big man to avoid something like playing Malik Martin or Jalen Carey at the 4, like we did at times in 2022-23.)
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

SGreenwell wrote: 1 month ago Realistically, unless Fuchs or Green is transferring, we probably only have minutes for one more big man. Foumena and Brown went from playing a combined 30 to 40 MPG before Green, to splitting 10 to 30 MPG after he was eligible. A guy that can play the 4 and 5 would be useful, with perhaps a big man that's comfortable being a deep reserve. ("Comfortable" is a relative term here, in that I doubt any guy actually wants to just play anywhere from 0 to 15 MPG, but we need at least a warm body as a fourth big man to avoid something like playing Malik Martin or Jalen Carey at the 4, like we did at times in 2022-23.)
To be on the safe side I think we need to add 2 more whether at PF or C possibly one of them a stretch big and a rim protector would help.

Both Fuchs and Green have been prone to fouls, so we need bench depth, plus players get banged up and we are certainly not immune to injury issues.
Last edited by Jersey77 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 month ago Realistically, unless Fuchs or Green is transferring, we probably only have minutes for one more big man. Foumena and Brown went from playing a combined 30 to 40 MPG before Green, to splitting 10 to 30 MPG after he was eligible. A guy that can play the 4 and 5 would be useful, with perhaps a big man that's comfortable being a deep reserve. ("Comfortable" is a relative term here, in that I doubt any guy actually wants to just play anywhere from 0 to 15 MPG, but we need at least a warm body as a fourth big man to avoid something like playing Malik Martin or Jalen Carey at the 4, like we did at times in 2022-23.)
I want a big who plays defense. blocks shots and rebounds. He doesn't need to score a lot. 6-8 points is gravy if he's making a difference on the defensive end.
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

You can't only have TWO big men on the roster.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 month ago
I think in today's game, you probably want four "big" guys - two guys as starters, one reserve that's near 20 MPG, and a fourth for spot duty. Maybe you can get away with a shorter rotation if you have a 3 that can play spot minutes at the 4, in case of fatigue or foul trouble or matching up against a really small team.

However, all of the focus on NIL kind of numbs or distracts from the fact that MPG is still the most precious commodity in college basketball. As of right now, our top six in MPG are all coming back. (Maybe House or Kortright are pursuing pro careers - idk. Kortright's latest RT was for a guy receiving interest from URI, for example.) I think it's going to be tough to lure two good frontcourt options if Green and Fuchs are sticking around, and signing one good frontcourt option and one project or under the radar guy is more likely. I want them to stick around, but the consequence is that potential transfers see that they either have to be happy coming off the bench, or they have to think they can beat one of them out.

I don't think this is a problem unique to URI either, as a fluid transfer market means it is much tougher for any team to have much depth. Guys want to play, and even if they're getting NIL money, they're not going to willing sit on the bench at a P5 now for multiple years if they can play immediately somewhere else.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

SGreenwell wrote: 1 month ago
I think in today's game, you probably want four "big" guys - two guys as starters, one reserve that's near 20 MPG, and a fourth for spot duty. Maybe you can get away with a shorter rotation if you have a 3 that can play spot minutes at the 4, in case of fatigue or foul trouble or matching up against a really small team.

However, all of the focus on NIL kind of numbs or distracts from the fact that MPG is still the most precious commodity in college basketball. As of right now, our top six in MPG are all coming back. (Maybe House or Kortright are pursuing pro careers - idk. Kortright's latest RT was for a guy receiving interest from URI, for example.) I think it's going to be tough to lure two good frontcourt options if Green and Fuchs are sticking around, and signing one good frontcourt option and one project or under the radar guy is more likely. I want them to stick around, but the consequence is that potential transfers see that they either have to be happy coming off the bench, or they have to think they can beat one of them out.

I don't think this is a problem unique to URI either, as a fluid transfer market means it is much tougher for any team to have much depth. Guys want to play, and even if they're getting NIL money, they're not going to willing sit on the bench at a P5 now for multiple years if they can play immediately somewhere else.
I like Fuchs and Green and they were the best we had last season, but last I checked they weren't all-conference players.

I want to see players pushed and open competition, no one should be guaranteed a starting position, that must be earned.

Archie needs to bring in the best possible players regardless of who is returning.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Fuchs should have been rookie all-conference, but other than that your point stands
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 month ago Fuchs should have been rookie all-conference, but other than that your point stands
Yeah, possibly but still he isn't what I would consider a true rim protector.
I do feel he will continue to develop and improve.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

I like Fuchs and Green and they were the best we had last season, but last I checked they weren't all-conference players.

I want to see players pushed and open competition, no one should be guaranteed a starting position, that must be earned.

Archie needs to bring in the best possible players regardless of who is returning.
Fuchs was a freshman, though, and Green was productive, although after digging into his stats I'm probably a bit more pessimistic on him than some others. His assist rate is crazy low, so he's essentially a black hole on offense, which isn't completely awful because he's productive on that end. His blocks, steals and rebounds per 40 are all low for a starting 4. It's weird to me that Green has kind of skated on criticism for poor defense or not criticized as much as Fuchs, because he's worse by pretty much any metric you want to use. He's probably best used as a second unit spark plug, someone to soak up minutes and shots to give your starters a breather.

If you can get guys to come in and push them, cool, but I suspect that it'll be hard to find people even to push them. Like, look at UMass - they're losing 58 minutes from their starting lineup at the 4 and 5.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Green has to do a much better job of playing tough defense without fouling , tok msny lazy fouls gets him in foul trouble

Hopefully with a long off season with no question about his eligibility he is that senior leader we need

Wouldn’t surprise me if he averages 17-18 a night
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 month ago Fuchs should have been rookie all-conference, but other than that your point stands
Yeah, possibly but still he isn't what I would consider a true rim protector.
I do feel he will continue to develop and improve.
I’d love it if Fuchs could get quick enough to play the 4 and have him paired with a Bilau type (in length and athleticism) at the 5.

Have Fuchs split time with Green at the 4 and have him play some 5, too. Split the 3 players depending on matchups game to game at the 4/5 spots.

That would be a great early Christmas present! I am not asking for much.

I just don’t know if our training staff can get Fuchs there, however.

Speaking of training staff, anyone have any thoughts insights on that aspect of the program ?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Fuchs was a freshman, though, and Green was productive, although after digging into his stats I'm probably a bit more pessimistic on him than some others. His assist rate is crazy low, so he's essentially a black hole on offense, which isn't completely awful because he's productive on that end. His blocks, steals and rebounds per 40 are all low for a starting 4. It's weird to me that Green has kind of skated on criticism for poor defense or not criticized as much as Fuchs, because he's worse by pretty much any metric you want to use. He's probably best used as a second unit spark plug, someone to soak up minutes and shots to give your starters a breather.

If you can get guys to come in and push them, cool, but I suspect that it'll be hard to find people even to push them. Like, look at UMass - they're losing 58 minutes from their starting lineup at the 4 and 5.
Not disagreeing.
Certainly not easy to grab quality bigs at our level (but definitely possible), and much harder to keep them.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Meh

Green took a massive step into the player he was last year

I would argue that we probably haven't seen the best of him yet.

He wasn't eligible, got eligible, was hurt, out of game shape, had an illness and was obviously banged up at the end of the year.

He isn't as quick as you'd like and he does struggle a good bit on defense, but I think his "black hole" situation is just because he is expected to bail us out offensively.

He's definitely a starter on an A-10 team and us having a PG and better play at the 5 would improve his ability.
2 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Meh

He wasn't eligible, got eligible, was hurt, out of game shape, had an illness and was obviously banged up at the end of the year.

He isn't as quick as you'd like and he does struggle a good bit on defense, but I think his "black hole" situation is just because he is expected to bail us out offensively.

He's definitely a starter on an A-10 team and us having a PG and better play at the 5 would improve his ability.
His per 40 stats are pretty flat, year over year, from what he was at Louisiana Tech. Maybe he can take a jump with a proper and healthy off-season of training, and he's going to have the advantage of being age 23 against (mostly) younger players. I think it's more likely this is what he is, or, improvement will be incremental vs. a big jump in production.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Meh

His per 40 stats are pretty flat, year over year, from what he was at Louisiana Tech. Maybe he can take a jump with a proper and healthy off-season of training, and he's going to have the advantage of being age 23 against (mostly) younger players. I think it's more likely this is what he is, or, improvement will be incremental vs. a big jump in production.
He just had a big jump

He was pretty terrible at Hofstra and LT. I don't think he was the same player at all.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Meh

He just had a big jump

He was pretty terrible at Hofstra and LT. I don't think he was the same player at all.
His per 40 at LT was 17.4 points, 3.6 FTA, 7.2 rebounds, 1.0 assists, 1.1 steals, 0.6 blocks, 1.5 turnovers. At URI, it was 21.9 points, 7.4 FTA, 6.4 rebounds, 1.2 assists, 0.5 steals, 0.4 blocks, 2.2 turnovers. Better in points and FTAs - which is good, to be clear! - but mostly flat for everything else. The big change was that he went from 16 MPG to 26 MPG, an increase of about 60 percent, so all of his raw numbers look a lot better. His offense is clearly starter level, but we sucked on defense last year and he was likely part of that problem.

I'm very slightly more bullish on Fuchs to continue improving than Green, because of their relative ages. That being said, I'd want both of them on next year's roster. I just think Green might be more of a "finished product" than it would seem.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I don't consider Green to be a big. He averaged 4 rebounds a game. Offensively, he was more effective on the perimeter than he was down low. Fuchs led the team with a 6.4 rebound average. Good. Not great. We need a banger/defensive presence on the roster.
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 month ago I don't consider Green to be a big. He averaged 4 rebounds a game. Offensively, he was more effective on the perimeter than he was down low. Fuchs led the team with a 6.4 rebound average. Good. Not great. We need a banger/defensive presence on the roster.
Yes BB same here.

I know even though he is thought of as a 4, it is hard to consider him a big and he plays more like a wing or SF.

Fuchs is really our only true big/banger and we are definitely going to need more help there.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 month ago I don't consider Green to be a big. He averaged 4 rebounds a game. Offensively, he was more effective on the perimeter than he was down low. Fuchs led the team with a 6.4 rebound average. Good. Not great. We need a banger/defensive presence on the roster.
Yes BB same here.

I know even though he is thought of as a 4, it is hard to consider him a big and he plays more like a wing or SF.

Fuchs is really our only true big/banger and we are definitely going to need more help there.
You had Brown and Foumena but Miller rarely played Fuchs and either Brown or Foumena at the same time, especially once Green arrived.

I would have liked Fuchs and Brown or Fuchs and Foumena in together with Green at guard but once Miller went small with the line up that almost never happened.

Last 8 games for Green Minutes/Rebounds
Loyola 19-2
Richmond 29-1
LaSalle 23-1
VCU 25-3
St Louis 30-1
George Mason 36-5
Fordham 26-5
St Louis 23-6 A10 Tournament

211 minutes with 24 rebounds = 26.4 mpg = 3 rpg

40 minute game average = 4.55 rpg

It appeared Green was slowed by injury to me. He was not elevating much and seemed slow on the court, however his ability to create his own shot on driving to the hoop and his 3P shooting were strengths.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Green shot 43 % from 3 which I bet comes down next year but if he can maintain 40 % and get his FT % over 70 % and minutes to over 30 then I can see 17 per game and 5-6 rebounds as well
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Yes BB same here.

You had Brown and Foumena but Miller rarely played Fuchs and either Brown or Foumena at the same time, especially once Green arrived.

I would have liked Fuchs and Brown or Fuchs and Foumena in together with Green at guard but once Miller went small with the line up that almost never happened.

Loyola 19-2
Richmond 29-1
LaSalle 23-1
VCU 25-3
St Louis 30-1
George Mason 36-5
Fordham 26-5

It appeared Green was slowed by injury to me. He was not elevating much and seemed slow on the court, however his ability to create his own shot on driving to the hoop and his 3P shooting were strengths.
That was my one criticism of Green. He had a lot more energy on the offensive end than the defensive end (as did a lot of our players). He didn't seem to be hurt when he had the ball in his hands.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 month ago

Yes BB same here.

Loyola 19-2
Richmond 29-1
LaSalle 23-1
VCU 25-3
St Louis 30-1
George Mason 36-5
Fordham 26-5

That was my one criticism of Green. He had a lot more energy on the offensive end than the defensive end (as did a lot of our players). He didn't seem to be hurt when he had the ball in his hands.
I think the last few games he was much slower, even on offense.

In general though, I think he got matched up with some quicker wing/forward players and he just couldn't keep up with them.

Still, look at how he moved in that first UMass game and then how he was moving toward the end of the year and he looked slower to me.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

He just had a big jump

His per 40 at LT was 17.4 points, 3.6 FTA, 7.2 rebounds, 1.0 assists, 1.1 steals, 0.6 blocks, 1.5 turnovers. At URI, it was 21.9 points, 7.4 FTA, 6.4 rebounds, 1.2 assists, 0.5 steals, 0.4 blocks, 2.2 turnovers. Better in points and FTAs - which is good, to be clear! - but mostly flat for everything else. The big change was that he went from 16 MPG to 26 MPG, an increase of about 60 percent, so all of his raw numbers look a lot better. His offense is clearly starter level, but we sucked on defense last year and he was likely part of that problem.

I'm very slightly more bullish on Fuchs to continue improving than Green, because of their relative ages. That being said, I'd want both of them on next year's roster. I just think Green might be more of a "finished product" than it would seem.
Oh I agree, I just imagine that we get much more out of him if he isn't out half the year, sick and on a bum ankle.

Just ready for the program to return a nice core group of players and everyone be eligible and ready to go to start the season.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Current Core?

Fuchs
Green
Zek
Kortright
House
0 x
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 month ago

Loyola 19-2
Richmond 29-1
LaSalle 23-1
VCU 25-3
St Louis 30-1
George Mason 36-5
Fordham 26-5

I think the last few games he was much slower, even on offense.

In general though, I think he got matched up with some quicker wing/forward players and he just couldn't keep up with them.

Still, look at how he moved in that first UMass game and then how he was moving toward the end of the year and he looked slower to me.
Yeah and the tendency to foul when he did get beat on defense , how many times he get 2 fouls in the 1h and have to sit rest of half
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 month ago Current Core?

Fuchs
Green
Zek
Kortright
House
If House and Kortright move on, we ain’t gots no core.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 1 month ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 month ago Current Core?

Fuchs
Green
Zek
Kortright
House
If House and Kortright move on, we ain’t gots no core.
If Luis was at the courthouse wearing Rhody gear I feel like he's staying.
3 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Fuchs is a good position rebounder but has no lift. Did he ever win a tip? Blocks? Not many, but like most everyone here I like his potential.
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

RAM67 wrote: 1 month ago Fuchs is a good position rebounder but has no lift. Did he ever win a tip? Blocks? Not many, but like most everyone here I like his potential.
Would like to see quick outlet pass to start the fast break, rather than simple hand off to ball handler…….but we are slow afoot…..real slow
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Update:

0 x