Who is Archie Miller?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: Who is Archie Miller?

Unread post by Jersey77 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 month ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 month ago

When Arch was hired...were you saying that in year 3 (of 5), you did not expect us to be contenders or post season play?
If you did, I'd guess you were in the minority....but I could be wrong.
I think initially, I was hoping that in year 3 we can contend and maybe post season play by 4 or 5.

Obviously, we are currently running behind, and my expectations are much lower now for 24-25.

I just didn't expect us to be as bad as we are right now, and I don't see a real quick fix.
I'm thinking the only acceptable kind of fix, from here, and after looking around at what the Joneses are doing, is "quick."
Clearly, some places are 'quick-fixing'...why can't that happen here?
I guess anything is possible, but we have a pretty steep hill to climb.

Right now, I can see us being competitive, but I will be pleasantly surprised if we can actually contend.
Our team was not only bad but seemed dysfunctional and lacked chemistry.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I think initially, I was hoping that in year 3 we can contend and maybe post season play by 4 or 5.

Obviously, we are currently running behind, and my expectations are much lower now for 24-25.

I just didn't expect us to be as bad as we are right now, and I don't see a real quick fix.
I'm thinking the only acceptable kind of fix, from here, and after looking around at what the Joneses are doing, is "quick."
Clearly, some places are 'quick-fixing'...why can't that happen here?
I guess anything is possible, but we have a pretty steep hill to climb.

Right now, I can see us being competitive, but I will be pleasantly surprised if we can actually contend.
Our team was not only bad but seemed dysfunctional and lacked chemistry.
Agree...bad talent, dysfunctional, and lack of chemistry are antithetical to the quick fix...how'd that get in here?
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 month ago At this point, I am not going to get too worked up about who stays, who goes, and who is coming in, which includes our assistants and recruits.

It is now a waiting game to see how everything plays out.

By year 3 of Archie, we should see much improvement in our program, no excuses.
I am not expecting us to be contenders or post-season play, but we should be competitive and at least finish in the middle of the conference.

Also, I would like us to have the pieces in place to be able to make a serious run in year 4 or 5.

If not and another season in the cellar or PIG, that would be reason for major concern.
It isn't as if there hasn't been any major upgrades or investment in the program.
Archie has gotten the full support of Thorr, the university, and fans, he just needs to win.
When Arch was hired...were you saying that in year 3 (of 5), you did not expect us to be contenders or post season play?
If you did, I'd guess you were in the minority....but I could be wrong.
I was in the same boat thought by year through we be on NCAA bubble or NIT bid , my expectations changing now as NcAA hoops is much different now

Need to hit in the portal
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Archie's success at Dayton was predicated on his recruiting a PG who turned out to be the catalyst for his NCAA tourney success.

So far, that hasn't come close to happening here.

Now if Hammond leaves, there goes his best recruit at the position since S. Smith according to him.

Like has been said, success is fleeting, especially at URI.

Hell if Baron had been able to bring in a great PG, that narrative may have been a whole lot different.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago Archie's success at Dayton was predicated on his recruiting a PG who turned out to be the catalyst for his NCAA tourney success.

So far, that hasn't come close to happening here.

Now if Hammond leaves, there goes his best recruit at the position since S. Smith according to him.

Like has been said, success is fleeting, especially at URI.

Hell if Baron had been able to bring in a great PG, that narrative may have been a whole lot different.
Well I'd say we are pretty close to having a good PG since Hammond is still signed and committed tho...
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We can hope.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

If Miller is the Miller we thought we hired retaining Hammond should be a slam dunk.

Hammond had to have been clear Johnson would be looking to get back to a higher D1 position.

If URI doesn’t retain this player it will be a warning sign.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rams99
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rams99 »

I feel like Archie would have known about KJ for a while now. I don’t think he’s dumb I just think it’s hard to come to a new school dump the roster while building a new one. I have faith regardless that we’ll recruit coachable players. Chemistry and coachability will lead to wins. When we were down in games we looked lethargic with no spirit. I want leaders.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Won't an experienced PG be better than a F BH?
They should take these recruits and stack rank them with the players available in the portal, based on 'potential next year' and go from there...
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 month ago Won't an experienced PG be better than a F BH?
They should take these recruits and stack rank them with the players available in the portal, based on 'potential next year' and go from there...
There are 752 players in the portal who have college experience. Unless it's a 4* top 100 player, why bother recruiting HS kids?
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 1 month ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 month ago Won't an experienced PG be better than a F BH?
There are 752 players in the portal who have college experience. Unless it's a 4* top 100 player, why bother recruiting HS kids?
Exactly...if there's players you get in the portal that are better than your incoming frosh...and you lose your incoming frosh...isn't that...at least..."ok"?
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

All I know is that losing Hammond and keeping Ways is a terrible start. Rather lose both and get two new point guards. I would guess most, if not all, of the players in the portal are better than Ways. I have absolutely no idea why Archie would keep a player of his caliber. But maybe he'll get better and i'll be proven wrong. I hope so.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 month ago All I know is that losing Hammond and keeping Ways is a terrible start. Rather lose both and get two new point guards. I would guess most, if not all, of the players in the portal are better than Ways. I have absolutely no idea why Archie would keep a player of his caliber. But maybe he'll get better and i'll be proven wrong. I hope so.
"Is"?
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 month ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 1 month ago All I know is that losing Hammond and keeping Ways is a terrible start. Rather lose both and get two new point guards. I would guess most, if not all, of the players in the portal are better than Ways. I have absolutely no idea why Archie would keep a player of his caliber. But maybe he'll get better and i'll be proven wrong. I hope so.
"Is"?
you say that ""Is?"" with a sense that it may not be fact....I'll allow it
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think we will all be surprised if Ways is starting for us next year and our record will probably reflect that
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 month ago If Miller is the Miller we thought we hired retaining Hammond should be a slam dunk.

Hammond had to have been clear Johnson would be looking to get back to a higher D1 position.

If URI doesn’t retain this player it will be a warning sign.
I think you mean another warning sign!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Archie's coaching success was predicated by one great PG he had at Dayton.

Since then he's whiffed at that position, the most important in college BB.

Just ask Calhoun.

Now Archie was planning on having his next great one in Hammond.

If he leaves without ever suiting up for us, it's back to square one.

Until he gets one and he stays, we're not going to be good and he will be looking for work fairly soon.
0 x
Mattrams94
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Mattrams94 »

rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago Archie's coaching success was predicated by one great PG he had at Dayton.

Just ask Calhoun.

Until he gets one and he stays, we're not going to be good and he will be looking for work fairly soon.
Schoochi smith baby
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago Archie's coaching success was predicated by one great PG he had at Dayton.

Just ask Calhoun.

I mean, he did get Khristian Lander his last year at IU - who was a top 25 player, top 5 PG out of HS.

Schoochie was a 3 star guy. So if anything Archie helped develop him.

PG is everything in college. Look at Hurley - both at URI and at UConn.

What did we achieve without Jeff at URI? Nothing. Hurley had him for 2 years and we got two conference titles and NCAA trips/wins.

When Dave Cox took over we threw our PG away and saw what happened.

What did Hurley achieve at UConn without a PG? He started to turn things around with RJ Cole (good not great) - but never got over the first round hump. He got Tristen Newton and has won a national title and is the #1 overall seed looking to defend that title.

There is no position more important than a good PG. More important than a 7 footer. If you want to go and make a deep run, you need a good PG. Period.

Let's be clear - I'm 100000% on board that Hammond could be that guy. But if he doesn't come here there are plenty of other undersize, quick, 3 star guards out there. Remember, we beat out College of Charleston, Fordham, Fairfield, and George Mason for Hammond. It's not like it was Jared Terrell we got.

There's no guarantee if we lose KJ that we also lose Hammond. Georgetown already has a pretty locked in PG who transferred from Illinois to play for Cooley and was 3rd in the Big East in points and 8th in assists. Epps is going to be a junior with 2-3 years of eligibility left. Hard to think Hammond would leave a spot where he can become a starter within a season rather than guarantee bench riding behind a future all-conference PG.

Same thing - Jeff Dowtin was a 3 star, less regarded than Hammond even. I think the best school chasing him was Drexel or something.

The sky is not falling if we lose Hammond - and we are clearly not penciled into a championship spot if we get him.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL