Assistants under Coach Miller 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Assistants under Coach Miller 2022-23

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I feel like recruiting for one school, then leaving and taking the recruits should be illegal. They signed with the school, not the assistant coach.
0 x
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 month ago I feel like recruiting for one school, then leaving and taking the recruits should be illegal. They signed with the school, not the assistant coach.
Don't look at it like the recruit was 'taken'...the dude would just be exercising his rights to portal...early.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 month ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 month ago I feel like recruiting for one school, then leaving and taking the recruits should be illegal. They signed with the school, not the assistant coach.
Don't look at it like the recruit was 'taken'...the dude would just be exercising his rights to portal...early.
If the assistant is that important, the HC is not good enough.
5 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

maybe Hammond thought KJ was going to have the head coaching job by now. lol
0 x
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

From what I saw last year, I would not want any players or coaches from our team if I was looking for help. I am sure they work hard but it is a win - loss business.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

damram wrote: 1 month ago From what I saw last year, I would not want any players or coaches from our team if I was looking for help. I am sure they work hard but it is a win - loss business.
Kenny is known to be one of the top recruiters and top assistants in the country. He'll do much better at a school who has the money to get highly rated players.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 month ago
damram wrote: 1 month ago From what I saw last year, I would not want any players or coaches from our team if I was looking for help. I am sure they work hard but it is a win - loss business.
Kenny is known to be one of the top recruiters and top assistants in the country. He'll do much better at a school who has the money to get highly rated players.
From the results on the court in two seasons, it doesn't appear that he attracted a lot of talent to Kingston.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 1 month ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 month ago
From the results on the court in two seasons, it doesn't appear that he attracted a lot of talent to Kingston.
Who were Kenny Johnson’s Top 3 Recruits here?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Ben Hammond and Brayon Freeman have a good chance of occupying two of those spots in some order
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 month ago Ben Hammond and Brayon Freeman have a good chance of occupying two of those spots in some order
The first one has yet to suit up for Rhody and may never do so if the rumors are true. The second one did not really contribute much in his short time here and was dismissed for being disruptive. Has since seen little playing time at Coastal Carolina. Both may have talent that never manifested itself in Kingston.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 month ago Ben Hammond and Brayon Freeman have a good chance of occupying two of those spots in some order
The first one has yet to suit up for Rhody and may never do so if the rumors are true. The second one did not really contribute much in his short time here and was dismissed for being disruptive. Has since seen little playing time at Coastal Carolina. Both may have talent that never manifested itself in Kingston.
And who might #3 be? This is now KJ’s 3rd season of recruiting.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Like I said, he could have recruited a higher level of player, but we didn't have the money to pay them. The recruiting business has changed since the recruiters are working under a budget. Jared Terrell isn't coming here under with the new circumstances.
2 x
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

Georgetown Twitter confirming Kenny to the Hoyas. Archie’s road to rebuild this squad just became even more difficult, and my enthusiasm for this team is continuing to dwindle
0 x
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

Joe95 wrote: 1 month ago Georgetown Twitter confirming Kenny to the Hoyas. Archie’s road to rebuild this squad just became even more difficult, and my enthusiasm for this team is continuing to dwindle
So curious about the details because I find it odd he is landing with Gtown and Cooley is tight with Archie.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Joe95 wrote: 1 month ago Georgetown Twitter confirming Kenny to the Hoyas. Archie’s road to rebuild this squad just became even more difficult, and my enthusiasm for this team is continuing to dwindle
Look at the bright side. We are presently at the point where we cannot possibly get much worse with the loss of any player or coach.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody Sody wrote: 1 month ago
So curious about the details because I find it odd he is landing with Gtown and Cooley is tight with Archie.
Why do you find it odd?

He’s got tremendous connections in the DMV which is precisely where Georgetown is located.

Higher salary, better conference, more NIL available as well.

Cooley left his hometown school for a conference team.

You really think he gives a shit about stealing one of Archie’s assistants?
5 x
Go Rhody
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Look at the bright side. We are presently at the point where we cannot possibly get much worse with the loss of any player or coach.
Really? Things can always get worse. Example, if KJs recruits leave us.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

oh joy
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Totally expected news.

Now we wait, probably not long, for news of Hammond leaving.

If he does stay, I can see him leaving for Gtown after one year.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Look, I assume this is going to happen at this point, but if I remember right Casual Hoya had Dan Hurley leaving URI to coach Georgetown...
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Who can blame KJ for leaving this clusterfuck?

Gtown will be better fast.

Will we?

Yeah right.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

section(105) wrote: 1 month ago
Really? Things can always get worse. Example, if KJs recruits leave us.
It may prolong the process of getting better but the team and its performance is not likely to get any worse than what we have seen these last two seasons.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It's hard to get any worse.

Tough part is waiting for it to get better.
1 x
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 month ago
Rhody Sody wrote: 1 month ago
Why do you find it odd?

He’s got tremendous connections in the DMV which is precisely where Georgetown is located.

Higher salary, better conference, more NIL available as well.

Cooley left his hometown school for a conference team.

You really think he gives a shit about stealing one of Archie’s assistants?
It totally makes sense for KJ and I agree that Cooley could care less. I’m just wondering about Archie’s position and if he just wanted a change.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

By the way, I don't want to hear any excuses for Archie... This is his team. This is his staff. He recruited a terrible team back-to-back years. He's now about to lose the one player that looked like a potential game-changer. He's going to lose the one assistant who can bring in decent talent... We should all give him a chance to build a strong roster this year, but if he doesn't, I'd rather have Cox with a lower salary and put all the $ Archie is making into our NIL. We hired Archie to take this program to new heights. Is it easy? Nope. But other teams are doing well. Other teams that are neck and neck with us have had MUCH better seasons.

Archie has been a disaster so far. We are at rock bottom, everyone. ..
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Archie hired Kenya Hunter away from UConn at the end of August in 2020. A lot of the time, friendships mean nothing when people’s jobs are on the line.
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 month ago By the way, I don't want to hear any excuses for Archie... This is his team. This is his staff. He recruited a terrible team back-to-back years. He's now about to lose the one player that looked like a potential game-changer. He's going to lose the one assistant who can bring in decent talent... We should all give him a chance to build a strong roster this year, but if he doesn't, I'd rather have Cox with a lower salary and put all the $ Archie is making into our NIL. We hired Archie to take this program to new heights. Is it easy? Nope. But other teams are doing well. Other teams that are neck and neck with us have had MUCH better seasons.

Archie has been a disaster so far. We are at rock bottom, everyone. ..
Archie absolutely needs to work fast for a solid replacement.

I agree Stevey, this is his program, he doesn't get any more passes.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Losing your top recruiter as the transfer portal heats up isn't ideal....
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 month agooh joy
Yippie
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I don't think Hammond to Georgetown is a reality. Georgetown has their eyes set on higher caliber PGs. He may decide to de-commit but I would be shocked if it's to go to Georgetown. So I hold out hope KJ is telling him A10 is the right level for him and to stay put. Also even if Ben initially committed due to KJ if Archie didn't build his own relationship with him at this point that's a massive fail. When EC committed his initial connection was via Preston but almost from Day 1 he talked about his connection to Dan.
4 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Replace KJ with a General Manager.

Who needs a recruiter?

Biggest wallet wins!
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago Who can blame KJ for leaving this clusterfuck?

Will we?

Yeah right.
People are going to call me naive for this take, and they're probably right, but I would blame him. 16 months ago he got show caused and was unemployable in college basketball. Archie, Thorr, and the University stood by him when they had every right, and reason frankly, to fire him. Fast forward to now and he's bolting for more money?

How about showing a little bit of loyalty to the people that kept you employed in your six figure a year job when they had every right to fire you instead of bolting as soon as possible for the next job that will pay you higher six figures? Is the difference really life changing? I'm guessing it's not.

I have to hear rant after rant about players having no loyalty and how it's ruining the game. Where do you think they learned jumping to the next highest bidder from? Why show a shred of loyalty when your coach won't hesitate to leave you for extra money? The coaches have taught the players to worry about yourself first, last, and everywhere in between. You can't be mad when the players show they were paying attention to their coaches.

I'm far more offended by coaches hopping than players
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

BAR, I hope you're right.

So you're saying there's a chance?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

RR2, KJ leaving could be about more than money.

Like the Titanic has nothing on us.

I guess we might find out sometime, not that it matters.
Last edited by rambone 78 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 1 month ago I don't think Hammond to Georgetown is a reality. Georgetown has their eyes set on higher caliber PGs. He may decide to de-commit but I would be shocked if it's to go to Georgetown. So I hold out hope KJ is telling him A10 is the right level for him and to stay put. Also even if Ben initially committed due to KJ if Archie didn't build his own relationship with him at this point that's a massive fail. When EC committed his initial connection was via Preston but almost from Day 1 he talked about his connection to Dan.
I agree BAR, and certainly no guarantees Hammond ends up at Georgetown, probably not.

Still, he may decide to opt out of his LOI and open up his recruitment.

We will see, I hope he stays committed to us.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 month ago

Will we?

Yeah right.
People are going to call me naive for this take, and they're probably right, but I would blame him. 16 months ago he got show caused and was unemployable in college basketball. Archie, Thorr, and the University stood by him when they had every right, and reason frankly, to fire him. Fast forward to now and he's bolting for more money?

How about showing a little bit of loyalty to the people that kept you employed in your six figure a year job when they had every right to fire you instead of bolting as soon as possible for the next job that will pay you higher six figures? Is the difference really life changing? I'm guessing it's not.

I have to hear rant after rant about players having no loyalty and how it's ruining the game. Where do you think they learned jumping to the next highest bidder from? Why show a shred of loyalty when your coach won't hesitate to leave you for extra money? The coaches have taught the players to worry about yourself first, last, and everywhere in between. You can't be mad when the players show they were paying attention to their coaches.

Loyalty in sports isn’t a thing anymore. College, pros, players, coaches.
Last edited by Rhody15 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

One of Ben's former coaches at Paul VI and Team Takeover, Lamar Butler, recently got a job at George Mason as Director of Player Development. I would think that's a possibility.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Will we?

Yeah right.

Loyola in sports isn’t a thing anymore. College, pros, players, coaches.
If you're saying Loyola isn't a thing in sports anymore, its like another poster here hijacked your account. ;) (jk, I know you just typoed "loyalty.")
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Why would we be connected to all these small point guards if Hammond was staying? Hammond isn't coming. The earlier we accept that, the better. i'm numb at this point.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Will we?

Yeah right.

Obviously you're right. But all the hand wringing and bitching, and complaining when players are doing it when coaches are the biggest offenders drives me up a wall
2 x
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 month ago I don't think Hammond to Georgetown is a reality. Georgetown has their eyes set on higher caliber PGs. He may decide to de-commit but I would be shocked if it's to go to Georgetown. So I hold out hope KJ is telling him A10 is the right level for him and to stay put. Also even if Ben initially committed due to KJ if Archie didn't build his own relationship with him at this point that's a massive fail. When EC committed his initial connection was via Preston but almost from Day 1 he talked about his connection to Dan.
If he decommits I could see George Mason as a top suitor
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 month ago Why would we be connected to all these small point guards if Hammond was staying? Hammond isn't coming. The earlier we accept that, the better. i'm numb at this point.
In my best Col. Walter Kurtz (Marlon Brando) voice from Apocalypse Now:

The horror…

The horror.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Obviously you're right. But all the hand wringing and bitching, and complaining when players are doing it when coaches are the biggest offenders drives me up a wall
Agreed. Plus the fact that 99% of them would probably do the same thing if in the same position. Just a lot of virtue signaling going on around the whole topic.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Joe95 wrote: 1 month ago
If he decommits I could see George Mason as a top suitor
Yes. Lamar Butler.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

He ain't gone yet at least...

0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

a lawyer drafted that tweet
6 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ace wrote: 1 month ago a lawyer drafted that tweet
Haha for sure. I still anticipate he'll be gone eventually.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

adam914 wrote: 1 month ago
ace wrote: 1 month ago a lawyer drafted that tweet
Haha for sure. I still anticipate he'll be gone eventually.
Yep, sounds like just ironing out the final details.

Time to move on.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

adam914 wrote: 1 month ago He ain't gone yet at least...

KJ exemplifying the same effort our players showed on D this past season.
0 x