Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel and Portal - 2024-25

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel and Portal - 2024-25

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Dino611 wrote: 1 month ago

I thought this list would have better names imho
It is still early; hearing Georgetown is also interested.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Does anybody remember when our first signing was last year? I assume it'll be a at least a couple of weeks, if not more?
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 month ago Does anybody remember when our first signing was last year? I assume it'll be a at least a couple of weeks, if not more?
It looks like House committed on March 31, and Brown was around March 29. I'm not sure if any transfers committed before then.
1 x
RIrugger01
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RIrugger01 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 month ago Albany sophomore PF/C Jonathon Beagle (6'9"/240) entered the portal, averaged 12.5 pts/ 9.5 rebs.
He left the team around midway through the season. No explanation was given to the media other than “personal reasons”. He played 8 minutes of the first half in a game vs Vermont. Wasn’t on the bench in the second half
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 month ago Albany sophomore PF/C Jonathon Beagle (6'9"/240) entered the portal, averaged 12.5 pts/ 9.5 rebs.
He’s got that dog in him.
2 x
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 month ago
PCFriars wrote: 1 month ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 month ago

That's my biggest fear. We're going to lose a potential program changing PG.
I don’t think there are program changers at any level anymore. If a guy is successful, he’s probably being tampered with and will end up transferring up after a year. It’s a sad state of affairs in college athletics right now. Complete mess.
Any rumors on players potentially leaving you guys?
There’s some Garwey Dual chatter, but nothing definitive yet. Carter for sure going pro and sitting out tonight.

Guessing we’ll hear more once players meet with coach whenever this garbage tournament is over.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

STC wrote: 1 month ago
He’s got that dog in him.
Woof Woof
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I don’t think there are program changers at any level anymore. If a guy is successful, he’s probably being tampered with and will end up transferring up after a year. It’s a sad state of affairs in college athletics right now. Complete mess.
Any rumors on players potentially leaving you guys?
There’s some Garwey Dual chatter, but nothing definitive yet. Carter for sure going pro and sitting out tonight.

Guessing we’ll hear more once players meet with coach whenever this garbage tournament is over.
I figured there’d be a chance Dual would leave, brutal brutal numbers and seemed to have a short leash whenever I watched.
0 x
Go Rhody
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Archie should put an emphasis on coachability, work ethic and basketball IQ.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

Archie’s a moron for not playing him enough. Another guy that’s probably going to a P5 school!
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

rhodyram22 wrote: 1 month ago

Archie’s a moron for not playing him enough. Another guy that’s probably going to a P5 school!
Yeah that's a regert.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

LSU being interested in him means diddly squat, he’ll probably take George Washington Hunter Deans spot averaging 10 mins ( 4 pts / 3 reb)
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Fou would barely see the floor if he goes to a high major like LSU. I liked him, but let's stop acting like he was incredible every time he played. He made so many mistakes on both ends. Very low IQ.... Also, 99% of teams will reach out to a shitload of players. LSU reaching out doesn't mean he's getting an offer.

Fou could develop into a great player, but this isn't like losing Tyrese Martin or Jacob Toppin IMO.. Our roster last year was horrible. One of the worst rosters in the country.
7 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

PORTAL AND NIL killed college sports

How the eff can you get invested in a team

Fuck this shit

I’m about to bail if we lose our 2 recruits and wish you all the best

Been on this board Since the pro Jo days but who can deal w this crap year after year
4 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

It’s much more Portal and unlimited player movement than NIL. The kids deserve to be paid but the source of the funds ultimately shouldn't be coming primarily from fans. That isn’t killing interest. But the movement will eventually.
Last edited by bigappleram 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 month ago PORTAL AND NIL killed college sports

Fuck this shit

Been on this board Since the pro Jo days but who can deal w this crap year after year
I'm with you.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Big Fou , better or worse career than Makhi Mitchell ?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

ECR and78, same here.

This isnt fun anymore.

Will always be a fan, but not worth the angst watching us suck every year.

If this doesn't turn around in a couple of years max, I'm out.
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago ECR and78, same here.

This isnt fun anymore.

Will always be a fan, but not worth the angst watching us suck every year.

If this doesn't turn around in a couple of years max, I'm out.
and let’s say our recruits stay and we are very good next year and finish in top 3 in conference

Wvar happens next ?.. they transfer
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

bigappleram wrote: 1 month ago It’s much more Portal and unlimited player movement than NIL. The kids deserve to be paid but the source of the funds ultimately should be coming primarily from fans. That isn’t killing interest. But the movement will eventually.
I am with BAR - NIL is not the issue. If your team is good and has interest from fans they can make up the NIL money that most of these kids are getting. What you can’t make up for is the chance to play in the P5 conferences or get more playing time immediately moving down.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Never mind the casual fan, but when even the diehards are starting to bail, the alarm bells should be sounding in Thorrs and Parlanges offices.

If Archie is unwilling to adapt and adjust, and continue to force a defensive philosophy that isnt working on his team, maybe change is needed sooner than later.

Players wont stay around long enough to learn the packline. Opponents have figured it out. Look at Virginia. Bennett has just admitted change is needed.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago Never mind the casual fan, but when even the diehards are starting to bail, the alarm bells should be sounding in Thorrs and Parlanges offices.

If Archie is unwilling to adapt and adjust, and continue to force a defensive philosophy that isnt working on his team, maybe change is needed sooner than later.

Players wont stay around long enough to learn the packline. Opponents have figured it out. Look at Virginia. Bennett has just admitted change is needed.
As I agreed to renew season tickets, these thoughts rattled around in my head. Wonder what the gain/loss of season tickets will be. Thinking net loss. In this environment the need to be able to sorta Coach on the fly is needed. Kinda like rolling out the ball in practice see what we got, then developing offenses and defenses to the skills and athleticism of the assembled team. Rather than forcing a system upon the players. I used to be a system minded guy, not so much any more. With acknowledgement of the UConn type program level can stick to the knitting.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 1 month ago
rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago Never mind the casual fan, but when even the diehards are starting to bail, the alarm bells should be sounding in Thorrs and Parlanges offices.

As I agreed to renew season tickets, these thoughts rattled around in my head. Wonder what the gain/loss of season tickets will be. Thinking net loss. In this environment the need to be able to sorta Coach on the fly is needed. Kinda like rolling out the ball in practice see what we got, then developing offenses and defenses to the skills and athleticism of the assembled team. Rather than forcing a system upon the players. I used to be a system minded guy, not so much any more. With acknowledgement of the UConn type program level can stick to the knitting.
Good coaches adjust their system to the players strengths. Not stubbornly force them to play something they cant.

Recruits see this. It could really play a part on whether to come here or not.

Archie's packline worked at Dayton because players stayed for years and worked at getting better at it.

He doesn't have that luxury anymore.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago

Good coaches adjust their system to the players strengths. Not stubbornly force them to play something they cant.

Archie's packline worked at Dayton because players stayed for years and worked at getting better at it.

Don't necessarily agree with that. Some coaches do that...some recruit and procure talent to fit their system. See Frank at Umass.
Dan at Uconn. Many many others. I think Archie tried to focus on offense after what was an abysmal offense in his first year. He likely calibrated too far in that direction. Hopefully he finds a middle ground with this next roster.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

The packline is just a wrinkle of man to man defense. Sure, time in the system helps with the nuances, but it's not even as complicated as zone, which people scream about us not playing.

Our defense didn't suck this year because we played packline or Archie forgot how to coach defense. Hell, our defense last year was nationally average with whatever parts Archie could assemble in a month. Our defense sucked this year because the players' effort sucked on the defensive end
6 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 1 month ago
rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago

Don't necessarily agree with that. Some coaches do that...some recruit and procure talent to fit their system. See Frank at Umass.
Dan at Uconn. Many many others. I think Archie tried to focus on offense after what was an abysmal offense in his first year. He likely calibrated too far in that direction. Hopefully he finds a middle ground with this next roster.
This. He heard the criticism of his offense from Indiana and last year and figured he'd go heavy on offense and he could teach the players up on defense. He didn't account for the complete lack of care and effort many of those players had for defense. You can't teach heart and effort.

For all of the talk about him being rigid and demanding players fit into the system, his going all offense all the time this offseason in the portal was a 180 degree change for Archie
1 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

Looks like Virginia needs to work on its pack line defense too.
1 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

I’m with a bunch of you. Transfer portal is ruining college hoops for me. It has been my #1 sport since I was a kid and watched the NC State finals game. I’ve lived for it (as far as sports goes). Die-hard Rhody fan since the early 90s. But so much of what I loved is gone. Call me old or whatever. There’s no way anyone can enjoy this new way. I’m tired of it already. For the longest time I followed who we were recruiting and signing, and it was a fun process. I have no interest in the off season anymore. I don’t care who we get. I don’t know if they will be on the team for more than a year. I don’t know if they even want to be around for more than a year. Not worth my time anymore. Of course, I hope we have a good team soon, or catch lightning in a bottle. I will check back in a few months to see what the roster looks like. But what does that mean anyway. It’s going to be a team full of rentals, like the majority of college basketball rosters will be. Sorry to be so negative but it’s the reality. Find a way to pay the players but limit the movement.
6 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 1 month ago I’m with a bunch of you. Transfer portal is ruining college hoops for me. It has been my #1 sport since I was a kid and watched the NC State finals game. I’ve lived for it (as far as sports goes). Die-hard Rhody fan since the early 90s. But so much of what I loved is gone. Call me old or whatever. There’s no way anyone can enjoy this new way. I’m tired of it already. For the longest time I followed who we were recruiting and signing, and it was a fun process. I have no interest in the off season anymore. I don’t care who we get. I don’t know if they will be on the team for more than a year. I don’t know if they even want to be around for more than a year. Not worth my time anymore. Of course, I hope we have a good team soon, or catch lightning in a bottle. I will check back in a few months to see what the roster looks like. But what does that mean anyway. It’s going to be a team full of rentals, like the majority of college basketball rosters will be. Sorry to be so negative but it’s the reality. Find a way to pay the players but limit the movement.
It's no longer "I can't wait to see how much Cam improves next year". It's now "I wonder if Cam will be here next year".
2 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

rhodylaw wrote: 1 month ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 month ago It’s much more Portal and unlimited player movement than NIL. The kids deserve to be paid but the source of the funds ultimately should be coming primarily from fans. That isn’t killing interest. But the movement will eventually.
I am with BAR - NIL is not the issue. If your team is good and has interest from fans they can make up the NIL money that most of these kids are getting. What you can’t make up for is the chance to play in the P5 conferences or get more playing time immediately moving down.
The key to stability or as close as you can come these days is being good and having lots of money…chicken or egg. How do you get good and stay good in this environment if money usually follows success? What if you stink and don’t have money…because you stink?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 1 month ago Looks like Virginia needs to work on its pack line defense too.
What? According to KenPom they had the 7th ranked defense in the country and the 2nd ranked defense in the ACC. Defense isn't their issue, it's their offense
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 month ago
Rhody_NYCT wrote: 1 month ago Looks like Virginia needs to work on its pack line defense too.
What? According to KenPom they had the 7th ranked defense in the country and the 2nd ranked defense in the ACC. Defense isn't their issue, it's their offense
Their ability to go ice cold is beyond all reason.

And they will just miss wide open shot after wide open shot.

I also think they've just been way less talented since that natty run.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 month ago PORTAL AND NIL killed college sports

Fuck this shit

Agree completely. I will not get season tickets again. No need to. You can walk in and get 4000 tickets. Give me the days of Mobley, Wheeler, Reynolds, Dean, Matthew’s and Terrell and watching players grow
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 month ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 month ago
Their ability to go ice cold is beyond all reason.

And they will just miss wide open shot after wide open shot.

I also think they've just been way less talented since that natty run.
They went 52 minutes in real time without making a basket last night. I've never seen anything like it
1 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

I was being facetious. They need to fix something after that a-kicking they got last night.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Grant Huffman (Davidson) team captain enters the portal; averaged 13 pts/ 5 rebs/5 assists.
Davidson doesn't have a graduate program.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Is anybody surprised we haven't seen Ways or Zeke's name in the portal yet?
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 month ago Is anybody surprised we haven't seen Ways or Zeke's name in the portal yet?
Nothing really surprises me anymore about this team.

It is still early in the process, as players get recruited over more may leave.
I am sure a few are still considering their options.

Once they put their name in, they may not be allowed back.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 month ago Is anybody surprised we haven't seen Ways or Zeke's name in the portal yet?
Archie may be hesitant to let the next Sebastian Thomas go. I’m not sure if I’m kidding or not.
0 x
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

When’s the last day to put your name in the portal ?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

reef wrote: 1 month ago When’s the last day to put your name in the portal ?
A 3 second google search will show you it’s open for 45 days from Monday March 18th.
0 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I think 4/30 because the window closes on 5/1, maybe you can still enter before midnight on 5/1.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

A 3 second google search will show you it’s open for 45 days from Monday March 18th
But that’s not what Reef asked.

Reef asked what is the last day to put your name in the Portal.
That 3 second google search left a remaining task to take March 18th, get out the calendar and add 45 days to March 18th and then you have your date.

If Reef asked what is the expected high Temperature in Kingston tomorrow March 21st you wouldn’t say the average high Temperature for February 8th is 22F but add 30 degrees to that because it’s now Spring……..or would you?

Plus doesn’t Reef have you banned?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 1 month ago
A 3 second google search will show you it’s open for 45 days from Monday March 18th

That 3 second google search left a remaining task to take March 18th, get out the calendar and add 45 days to March 18th and then you have your date.

If Reef asked what is the expected high Temperature in Kingston tomorrow March 21st you wouldn’t say the average high Temperature for February 8th is 22F but add 30 degrees to that because it’s now Spring……..or would you?

Holy hell you are like a gnat.

The point I was trying to make is he can simply google it and figure it out hinself, like 99% of his other posts.

I figured he’d be to do that math, but probably not.

He needs to be spoon fed every bit of information.

But you do you and keep over analyzing every post and writing monologues.
0 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 1 month ago

Holy hell you are like a gnat.

The point I was trying to make is he can simply google it and figure it out hinself, like 99% of his other posts.

I figured he’d be to do that math, but probably not.

He needs to be spoon fed every bit of information.

But you do you and keep over analyzing every post and writing monologues.
Tough loss last night huh? Got you in a bad mood. I get it
Wait til next year
Friars did have a Portal Candidate visiting at the game last night. Good news is they showed plenty of playing time opportunity available.
IMG_2491.jpeg
2 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Now we’re picking on Reef maybe the nicest guy on the forums?

Jeez c’mon now!
7 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

He does it all the time. It’s gotten old.

Not just the nicest guy but Reef is a very long term poster on KB and Reef is one of the most knowledgeable people I know of not just college basketball but college football, NFL, MLB……you name the sport.
So if I stand up for him and take a beating so be it.
2 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

I'm a bit surprised but do not hate it. Ways has to know that he is going to have to compete for playing time and we are looking for better talent at his position. Montgomery would also have limited options as a transfer. Maybe they actually enjoy attending URI and realize that the grass might not be greener elsewhere? I'd like our players as a group to feel that way. I am against pushing out the fringe rotation and deep bench guys. If a young man is not a problem why push him out? We do not have unlimited funds to pay guys and for the deep bench guys the scholarship, stipend, chartered flights, academic support, practice facility, social life and any NIL is a pretty good deal.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

DeanDome88 wrote: 1 month ago
I'm a bit surprised but do not hate it. Ways has to know that he is going to have to compete for playing time and we are looking for better talent at his position. Montgomery would also have limited options as a transfer. Maybe they actually enjoy attending URI and realize that the grass might not be greener elsewhere? I'd like our players as a group to feel that way. I am against pushing out the fringe rotation and deep bench guys. If a young man is not a problem why push him out? We do not have unlimited funds to pay guys and for the deep bench guys the scholarship, stipend, chartered flights, academic support, practice facility, social life and any NIL is a pretty good deal.

May also be worried that they might get less money elsewhere.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 month ago Now we’re picking on Reef maybe the nicest guy on the forums?

Jeez c’mon now!

exactly and i met up w Reef years ago.. ha.. prob decades ago in Vegas !

you pick on reef you pick on us all !

ahh.. the good ole days of Vegas !!!
0 x