Rhody Excellence Collective Executive Director

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
URIROTC2006
Abdul Fox

Re: Rhody Excellence Collective Executive Director

Unread post by URIROTC2006 »

section(105) wrote: 6 months ago From the little I know(barely wetting bottom of bucket)it seems giving directly the excellence is the most impactful way to get and retain the best players we can attract is via the excellence. If you like and want to support mens and women’s basketball. I will defer to the masters level folks here to correct me.
Yeah. I just hope they have a plan. To me, the only way to have and sustain year over year growth of the collective is to set up an endowment and eventually live off interest.

I’m interested to hear what Stone says.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Since it now seems the fans must pay players, it only seems fair if the team makes it to the NCAAT, all credits from the NCAA should go directly to the collective.
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

section(105) wrote: 6 months ago From the little I know(barely wetting bottom of bucket)it seems giving directly the excellence is the most impactful way to get and retain the best players we can attract is via the excellence. If you like and want to support mens and women’s basketball. I will defer to the masters level folks here to correct me.
so this logic, skip the season tickets and just give the players your cash.

doesn't that sound fun?
:lol:
URIROTC2006
Abdul Fox

Unread post by URIROTC2006 »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 6 months ago

doesn't that sound fun?
Exactly. I wonder what Thorr is going to ask us to do. Give to NIL or the school athletic program.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

URIROTC2006 wrote: 6 months ago

doesn't that sound fun?
Exactly. I wonder what Thorr is going to ask us to do. Give to NIL or the school athletic program.
Maybe he says all the players are making hundreds of thousands each year plus cars. They can drive themselves to games.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

doesn't that sound fun?
Can we have some common sense here?

Of course buy season tickets if you can.

Give to NIL if you can.

Do both if you can.
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Ya, if you can budget it. Do both. Easy answer.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Can we at least have some transparency here? The A10 has a media rights deal with NBC, CBS and ESPN. How much is that worth to URI and how much is going to the players? If the men's basketball team makes the NCAAT, how much of the NCAA credits is going to the players? This is the pie the players wanted a piece of. Now we have a collective that is asking fans to pay players? Sorry, until I see how much of the revenue generated by men's basketball is being paid to players, I'll sit on the sidelines.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

theblueram wrote: 6 months ago Can we at least have some transparency here? The A10 has a media rights deal with NBC, CBS and ESPN. How much is that worth to URI and how much is going to the players? If the men's basketball team makes the NCAAT, how much of the NCAA credits is going to the players? This is the pie the players wanted a piece of. Now we have a collective that is asking fans to pay players? Sorry, until I see how much of the revenue generated by men's basketball is being paid to players, I'll sit on the sidelines.
The only amount that a school can directly pay out to a player is the stipend maximum of $5,950.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

theblueram wrote: 6 months ago Can we at least have some transparency here? The A10 has a media rights deal with NBC, CBS and ESPN. How much is that worth to URI and how much is going to the players? If the men's basketball team makes the NCAAT, how much of the NCAA credits is going to the players? This is the pie the players wanted a piece of. Now we have a collective that is asking fans to pay players? Sorry, until I see how much of the revenue generated by men's basketball is being paid to players, I'll sit on the sidelines.

None of the revenue is going to the players. Now can you join the collective ?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ne'er mind
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

You do realize that it’s completely against the rules for schools to pay the players, right? You do realize this, right?

No chance you do, so keep pounding that keyboard!
Last edited by Rhody15 6 months ago, edited 3 times in total.
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 6 months ago

None of the revenue is going to the players. Now can you join the collective ?
He continues to not realize this after about a dozen posts on the subject.
Go Rhody
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

My assumption is that the NIL payment commitments to players are for just one year. It looks like many that perform well in a season appear to think they should get more money and they enter the portal because that is more likely at another school. What then happens to players that did not perform up to expectations in the past season but plan to stay? Is it likely they will be offered less NIL money? Typically in other employment free markets, performance very much dictates compensation.
Last edited by RF1 6 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RF1 wrote: 6 months ago My assumption is that the NIL payment commitments to players are for just one year. It looks like many that perform well in a season appear to think they should get more money and they enter the portal because that is more likely at another school. What then happens to players that did not perform up to expectations in the past season but plan to stay? Is it likely they will be offered less? Typically in other employment free markets, performance very much dictates compensation.
Yes, essentially that’s exactly what will happen. They’ll be pushed out by the coach and transfer down to a lower level.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Just received an Email about the exclusive NIL event for Next Thursday. Open practice in Ryan center for all contributing members for like an hour and a half followed by a meet and greet with select players.

Should be a good event. Excited to see how the players look.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

So, this used to be a season ticket holder event. Not anymore, I guess.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Season ticket holder event was usually in the fall. That may still happen. They had an open practice last fall. And this is exactly the type of events they need to do exclusively for NIL contributors to get more participation.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

bigappleram wrote: 1 month ago Season ticket holder event was usually in the fall. That may still happen. They had an open practice last fall. And this is exactly the type of events they need to do exclusively for NIL contributors to get more participation.
Dont come in here with your logic and informed opinions. Some people want to be cheap and complain!
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

sevegny7 wrote: 1 month ago Just received an Email about the exclusive NIL event for Next Thursday. Open practice in Ryan center for all contributing members for like an hour and a half followed by a meet and greet with select players.

Should be a good event. Excited to see how the players look.
Then they are soon off to Bahamas
IMG_4756.png
VIP Packages and Game Day Tickets are Now Available for Purchase for
2024 Summer League at Baha Mar
If you are ready to start planning Basketball in the Bahamas featuring the U of L Cardinals,
Click Here to purchase VIP Packages
Click Here to purchase Game Day Tickets

Rhode Island Fans- Don't Miss out
Purchase Your Tickets Now!!!
Click Here for Game Day Tickets

We are happy to answer any questions you may have!
Thanks,
Baha Mar Hoops Staff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Wish I could be at the practice!

Also....still waiting on Rhody Excellence merch.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 month ago Wish I could be at the practice!

This website might be of interest to people:

https://influxermerch.com/colleges/univ ... d-1/sports
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhodyNorth
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RhodyNorth »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 month ago Wish I could be at the practice!

4:30 is a tough time to make it for good attendance. Have to imagine Jon Rothstein is there after being at PC this morning.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Team looks much better defensively and man we’re so much faster with Bassy running things. I’ll leave a bigger post when I can but we’re gonna be good. Possibly very good.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Very good event today. Rhody had a recruit at the practice and event not sure his name. Was a guard that was supposed to prep this year.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

sevegny7 wrote: 1 month ago Very good event today. Rhody had a recruit at the practice and event not sure his name. Was a guard that was supposed to prep this year.
And any nugs?
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 month ago
sevegny7 wrote: 1 month ago Very good event today. Rhody had a recruit at the practice and event not sure his name. Was a guard that was supposed to prep this year.
And any nugs?
Team looks much improved defensively. High energy practice that was very fast paced and tiring just watching from the sidelines haha.

Energy on defense was better than anything we saw last year. The tram chemistry does seem much better as well.

Javonte brown will be a solid addition to our team and something we haven't had in a while. He had one drive to the bucket from the free throw line. Dribbled behind back for a smooth left handed drive to the rim. Had a few blocks down low as well.

Bassy showed the most notable difference. He was probably one of the best offensive players today at practice. He played with alot of confidence shooting wise and played with alot of pace.

Cam seems to be ready for a sophomore jump. His body seems alot stronger and seems like a slightly more aggressive player than last year.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Good stuff, sevegny7!

Add in the recruit signing announcement from earlier today and this is a good Rhody hoops day.

Let’s goooooooooooo
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Appreciate the info from people that were there! Wish I could have made it.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Bassy was the best player on the floor. He looked better in every single aspect: faster, stronger, and better defensively. If he wasn't scoring, he was dishing out assists. Every time his teammate made a play, he couldn't have been more excited. For those of you who said he's slow, can't score, and is a bad player, you're wrong. As for Rhowdyram, who said he's unplayable and slower than Luis, that may be the worst take I've ever seen here, and that's saying something. He's definitely going to prove you guys wrong.

House—I'm pretty disappointed in him. Every single time, he was dead last in the suicides. It looked like he was going at 50%. He seemed to get really frustrated with his teammates when they made a mistake. Obviously, he had some beautiful finishes and strong offensive moments, but we all knew he could score. What I wanted to see from House this year was to be the leader of the team. It could have just been a bad day.

Lawrence didn't do much. He was clearly getting frustrated, as he had a few beautiful passes that his teammates couldn't handle. Bassy locked him up a few times. I could see the talent, but hopefully, it was just an off day.

Cam was the smoothest player out there. Man, that kid's shot is beautiful. He looks great. I thought he was the second-best guard out there behind Bassy.

QD—strong defender. Not the best decisions on offense, which Archie brought up a few times. I don't see him being anything more than what Weston was for us.

Farrell—this kid impressed me. Without question, he's the best defender on the team and the best on-ball defender I've seen up close at Rhody in a while. He had multiple blocks. Even if someone scored on him, he couldn't have defended better. He made things incredibly tough for any player he was defending. He was on the floor diving for balls more than any player out there. He has a solid mid-range shot and a decent handle. His 3-point shot needs a lot of work. If he could shoot well, he would be at a top 5 program with how great he can defend, so let's hope he can develop offensively.

Brown—what a great, great pickup by our staff. Great touch around the hoop, nice size, and he has a quicker handle and first step than I imagined. I thought he was one of the best players out there.

Fuchs looks leaner and quicker. He passes the ball really well and had a few great finishes. He did have some issues with Brown in the post, but Brown looks like a great player.

Drissa played solid defense. He had a few nice finishes and hit a couple of 3s. He'll be a solid addition on both ends.

Ways didn't play in the drill at the end. I'm assuming he's at the bottom of the rotation.

I think Green was hurt but was sitting and watching on the other side.

Overall, the staff is clearly preaching playing fast and playing defense. I went to a practice a few years ago, and the intensity in this one was much, much higher. We looked locked in. We were all business.

These seven seem to be in a tier alone and I think will all play heavy minutes:

Bassy
House
Lawrence
Green
Brown
Cam
Fuchs
These look like decent players who could have a bigger role based on matchups and injuries:
8. QD
9. Tres
10. Farrell (He's so raw on offense; I don't know how much he plays, but his defense is so good he may need to be out there if we have a terrible defensive team again.)

Maybe a few minutes but shouldn't be a part of the rotation:
11. Ways
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 month ago Bassy was the best player on the floor. He looked better in every single aspect: faster, stronger, and better defensively. If he wasn't scoring, he was dishing out assists. Every time his teammate made a play, he couldn't have been more excited. For those of you who said he's slow, can't score, and is a bad player, you're wrong. As for Rhowdyram, who said he's unplayable and slower than Luis, that may be the worst take I've ever seen here, and that's saying something. He's definitely going to prove you guys wrong.

House—I'm pretty disappointed in him. Every single time, he was dead last in the suicides. It looked like he was going at 50%. He seemed to get really frustrated with his teammates when they made a mistake. Obviously, he had some beautiful finishes and strong offensive moments, but we all knew he could score. What I wanted to see from House this year was to be the leader of the team. It could have just been a bad day.

Lawrence didn't do much. He was clearly getting frustrated, as he had a few beautiful passes that his teammates couldn't handle. Bassy locked him up a few times. I could see the talent, but hopefully, it was just an off day.

Cam was the smoothest player out there. Man, that kid's shot is beautiful. He looks great. I thought he was the second-best guard out there behind Bassy.

QD—strong defender. Not the best decisions on offense, which Archie brought up a few times. I don't see him being anything more than what Weston was for us.

Farrell—this kid impressed me. Without question, he's the best defender on the team and the best on-ball defender I've seen up close at Rhody in a while. He had multiple blocks. Even if someone scored on him, he couldn't have defended better. He made things incredibly tough for any player he was defending. He was on the floor diving for balls more than any player out there. He has a solid mid-range shot and a decent handle. His 3-point shot needs a lot of work. If he could shoot well, he would be at a top 5 program with how great he can defend, so let's hope he can develop offensively.

Brown—what a great, great pickup by our staff. Great touch around the hoop, nice size, and he has a quicker handle and first step than I imagined. I thought he was one of the best players out there.

Fuchs looks leaner and quicker. He passes the ball really well and had a few great finishes. He did have some issues with Brown in the post, but Brown looks like a great player.

Drissa played solid defense. He had a few nice finishes and hit a couple of 3s. He'll be a solid addition on both ends.

Ways didn't play in the drill at the end. I'm assuming he's at the bottom of the rotation.

Overall, the staff is clearly preaching playing fast and playing defense. I went to a practice a few years ago, and the intensity in this one was much, much higher. We looked locked in. We were all business.

Bassy
House
Lawrence
Green
Brown
Cam
Fuchs
These look like decent players who could have a bigger role based on matchups and injuries:
8. QD
9. Tres
10. Farrell (He's so raw on offense; I don't know how much he plays, but his defense is so good he may need to be out there if we have a terrible defensive team again.)

11. Ways
Thanks Stevey, appreciate your take, along with Sevegny7.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 month ago Bassy was the best player on the floor. He looked better in every single aspect: faster, stronger, and better defensively. If he wasn't scoring, he was dishing out assists. Every time his teammate made a play, he couldn't have been more excited. For those of you who said he's slow, can't score, and is a bad player, you're wrong. As for Rhowdyram, who said he's unplayable and slower than Luis, that may be the worst take I've ever seen here, and that's saying something. He's definitely going to prove you guys wrong.

Bassy
House
Lawrence
Green
Brown
Cam
Fuchs
8. QD
9. Tres

11. Ways
David Green was sitting out due to a tweak of some sort. I over head that he is okay he just really wanted to play in the Bahamas so they did not want to force it. They were taking the cautious approach with him so he can play in the event.

Also figured out who the recruit was who was on the official visit during the event. Damone King 6 foot 1 Guard from Louisville Ky.
https://247sports.com/player/damone-king-46117930/
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

sevegny7 wrote: 1 month ago

Bassy
House
Lawrence
Green
Brown
Cam
Fuchs
8. QD
9. Tres

11. Ways
David Green was sitting out due to a tweak of some sort. I over head that he is okay he just really wanted to play in the Bahamas so they did not want to force it. They were taking the cautious approach with him so he can play in the event.

Also figured out who the recruit was who was on the official visit during the event. Damone King 6 foot 1 Guard from Louisville Ky.
King graduated from Desales HS this year, so actually 2024 class but plans on a Prep Year at Hargrave Military Academy
So could King blow up and get better offers from his Prep year performance?

Or, could Miller be assessing the current team and waiting on results of Bahamas to pull King towards URI for this season? Miller has the 2 open roster spots providing flexibility.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

ramster wrote: 1 month ago

Bassy
House
Lawrence
Green
Brown
Cam
Fuchs
8. QD
9. Tres

11. Ways

King graduated from Desales HS this year, so actually 2024 class but plans on a Prep Year at Hargrave Military Academy

Or, could Miller be assessing the team and waiting on results of Bahamas to pull King towards URI for this season? Miller has the 2 open roster spots providing flexibility.
Not quite sure that answer. I did overhear him say he was going to do a post grad prep year but it seemed like his plans may have changed. I am not sure. Know forsure they were recruiting him hard last night and Archie was next to him the entire night pretty much.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Or, could Miller be assessing the team and waiting on results of Bahamas to pull King towards URI for this season? Miller has the 2 open roster spots providing flexibility.
Not quite sure that answer. I did overhear him say he was going to do a post grad prep year but it seemed like his plans may have changed. I am not sure. Know forsure they were recruiting him hard last night and Archie was next to him the entire night pretty much.
Could be that Archie has been working him out with the team recently and sees enough in him to sign him up now. Miller knows Thomas is gone after this year and he needs a PG for next season so King could develop at URI as opposed to Hargrave prep school. Miller also may be considering what he has seen (and not seen) in Lawrence and Wright as to their ability to back up Thomas.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Could be that Archie has been working him out with the team recently and sees enough in him to sign him up now. Miller knows Thomas is gone after this year and he needs a PG for next season so King could develop at URI as opposed to Hargrave prep school. Miller also may be considering what he has seen (and not seen) in Lawrence and Wright as to their ability to back up Thomas.
All valid points. I guess we will see what happens. URI does have 2 open remaining scholarships. Yesterday was the first day of the visit. He will also be on campus today with officials being usually a two day thing.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Thanks for the report. I was planning to attend but was tired after a day at the beach. (Don’t laugh!)
Slava Ukraini!
Donrxer79
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Donrxer79 »

I spoke to Always at Boon Street market, he said he was told to come back slow. He had a blood clot in his left shoulder so was not participating in the more physical part of practice. Green also told me he had a shoulder problem but "don't worry, I'll be back"
Rhodymob05
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

How was the fan attendance?
GO RAMS
Donrxer79
Marc Upshaw

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 month ago How was the fan attendance?
Not open to all fans, Rhody Excellence only. A good number attended, I'm bad at estimating but I think like 50 or so.
Last edited by Donrxer79 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 month ago How was the fan attendance?
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Love the reports!

What were we worst at last year?

Defense, PG play and rim protection.

What did I read rave reviews about?

Defense, PG play and rim protection!

Sounds like Bassy and Brown are our biggest game changers. Filling the two most glaring voids over the last two years.

The vibes seem to be there 💪
Donrxer79
Marc Upshaw

I was intrigued with Tyonne, good athleticism and seems to know what to do on defense which is a breath of fresh air in my mind. He told me that he really enjoys being in Rhode Island, " I love the peace and quiet, I can go outside and enjoy the peace, the cooling breezes and the water." Javonte also is enjoying RI, loves to fish both salt and fresh water. Both seem like quality people and were easy to talk to, no attitude.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 month ago Love the reports!

What were we worst at last year?

Defense, PG play and rim protection.

What did I read rave reviews about?

Defense, PG play and rim protection!

Sounds like Bassy and Brown are our biggest game changers. Filling the two most glaring voids over the last two years.

The vibes seem to be there 💪
Finished dead last, 15 out of 15:
  • Free Throws 461-713 for 64.7%
  • Turnover Margin
  • Steals
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Great intel from everyone and the lengthy player breakdowns from Stevey.

The effort is very much appreciated!

It’s been so long since I looked at the roster that I drew a blank at first on a few of the new players. Oooph!

I am getting psyched for some intel from Stone on next weeks exhibition games.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Donrxer79 wrote: 1 month ago I was intrigued with Tyonne, good athleticism and seems to know what to do on defense which is a breath of fresh air in my mind. He told me that he really enjoys being in Rhode Island, " I love the peace and quiet, I can go outside and enjoy the peace, the cooling breezes and the water." Javonte also is enjoying RI, loves to fish both salt and fresh water. Both seem like quality people and were easy to talk to, no attitude.
People here called me out when I said this kid would be the best defender on the team the second he came here and our best defender in years. All you need to do is watch this kid play in one game or one practice, and you'll see how great he is on that end
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Donrxer79 wrote: 1 month ago I was intrigued with Tyonne, good athleticism and seems to know what to do on defense which is a breath of fresh air in my mind. He told me that he really enjoys being in Rhode Island, " I love the peace and quiet, I can go outside and enjoy the peace, the cooling breezes and the water." Javonte also is enjoying RI, loves to fish both salt and fresh water. Both seem like quality people and were easy to talk to, no attitude.
I was very impressed with the character of these new guys. Got a chance to meet a few at the golf tournament and then the rest last night. Seem mature, focused and very personable. Several actually approached us and started up a conversation.

I also agree that the chemistry seems different in a very positive way.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Bassy
House
Lawrence
Green
Brown
Cam
Fuchs
8. QD
9. Tres

11. Ways
Really nice breakdown Stevey ! Really nice to hear about the improvements on the defensive end and the uptempo play with Bassy in the fold

Maybe Tyronne can find a few minutes here and there for defense only when we really need a few stops on a player that’s going off on us
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Bassy
House
Lawrence
Green
Brown
Cam
Fuchs
8. QD
9. Tres

11. Ways
hopefully nothing, but trust (most of) what you say, and I know it's a tiny window, but putting an equally tiny red pin on this...