Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel and Portal - 2024-25

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Re: Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel and Portal - 2024-25

Unread post by Dino611 »

0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Dino611 wrote: 1 month ago
Surprised with this one. Wouldn't have been surprised about halfway through the season, but with how things seemed down the stretch I thought he might be back
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

A. It appears I did in fact jinx things.
B. It appears guys have started having their end of year meetings
3 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

His (Dubs) original offers were Radford and Maine. Kind of telling. We need guys offered from A10/MWC P5 ect.
0 x
GO RAMS
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 month ago
Surprised with this one. Wouldn't have been surprised about halfway through the season, but with how things seemed down the stretch I thought he might be back
Interesting that you're surprised. His body language did not look great throughout this season. I don't think he was enjoying it here.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

He wanted out before this year. He only stayed because he didn't want to sit another season. Now that he can transfer and play, it makes sense that he's gone. I agree. I was hoping that his bigger role may have convinced him to stay..
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

rhodyram22 wrote: 1 month ago
Interesting that you're surprised. His body language did not look great throughout this season. I don't think he was enjoying it here.
For the first year and a half I agree. It seemed things had turned a corner with him getting a bigger role and Miller praising his leadership in the media
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Tyson Brown see ya later! Played hard but we can do better.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Just don’t want to see Estevez, Fuchs, or Green in this
6 x
Clapton is God
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Not terrible so far...
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

gorhody89 wrote: 1 month ago Just don’t want to see Estevez, Fuchs, or Green in this
Can Green even transfer again?
0 x
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 month ago
gorhody89 wrote: 1 month ago Just don’t want to see Estevez, Fuchs, or Green in this
Can Green even transfer again?
Sure he can, not two time transfer rule right now and I'm sure he's close to graduating anyway.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I’m ok with it Fuchs Cam and DG are the 3 I don’t want to lose anyone else I can live with
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Add Tyson Brown to the Portal!
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 1 month ago
I’m ok with it Fuchs Cam and DG are the 3 I don’t want to lose anyone else I can live with
Only returning 3 is too small a number. That wouldn't be as much of a complete reset, but it would still mean 10 new players including the 2 freshmen.

At worst I think I'd want at least 5 guys from this team.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 month ago

Only returning 3 is too small a number. That wouldn't be as much of a complete reset, but it would still mean 10 new players including the 2 freshmen.

I kind of agree with both of you. Two or three is too small a number to return, but as long as Fuchs and Estevez return as the core I'll be ok. I didn't include Green just because he could be done with college. If he's playing college ball in 2024-25 then I want him to return as well
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Bilau, Fou, Rory, Brown, Weston and Dubs thus far.

Now we are sitting at
Luis
House
Ways
Zek
Fuchs
Farrell
Hammond
Green
Estevez

I'd even be fine with that, most wouldn't, but you can add 4 good players to that group and you may have something.
2 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 month ago Bilau, Fou, Rory, Brown, Stewart, Weston and Dubs thus far.

Now we are sitting at
Luis
House
Ways
Zek
Fuchs
Farrell
Hammond
Green
Estevez

I'd even be fine with that, most wouldn't, but you can add 4 good players to that group and you may have something.
Luis indicated he was going to play internationally, so I would be surprised if he stays.
0 x
rhodyram22
ARD

For the first year and a half I agree. It seemed things had turned a corner with him getting a bigger role and Miller praising his leadership in the media
That IS true. I liked Weston, but we could definitely do better. I wonder who would want to come to URI next season. Not a very attractive place rn :P
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Idk about you folks, but now I need to see URI on some lists of "x transfer is receiving interest from..."
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 month ago

I have 5.
The 2 incoming freshmen plus 3 current roster. Fuchs and Estevez need playing time along with the 2 incoming freshmen.
Need to bring in at least 1 or more transfers capable of being All A10 Conference players.

Just because Miller wants some to stay some may leave regardless for a better opportunity on a better team, better conference, more playing time, change of scenery?

I don’t see more than 5 when all is said and done by next November 1. Could be wrong of course but major change is needed.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

That IS true. I liked Weston, but we could definitely do better. I wonder who would want to come to URI next season. Not a very attractive place rn :P
I kind of alluded to this idea earlier in the season. I think a lot of people just assume with the portal that you can rebuild quickly, but I'm starting to feel that it makes rebuilds tougher. It feels like if your program is in a lane it's so much harder to get out of that lane, especially to improve. Players might stick on an A10 program doing well that's expected to continue to do well the following year, but who wants to be a part of an A10 rebuild, especially if you're a role player?

It feels like we need something to really shock the system and change things. I thought Archie himself was enough, but so far he hasn't been. It feels like we need our high end boosters to really pony up for a greatly improved roster to get us out of the lane/rut we're in and get us pointed back to the top
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Down to 9 and at least 2 more leaving is my guess.

Would like it to be 8 since Luis is likely to leave.

Any less than 8 remaining will make it tough to bring all quality talent.

That NIL fund better be growing fast!
0 x
rhodyram22
ARD

I kind of alluded to this idea earlier in the season. I think a lot of people just assume with the portal that you can rebuild quickly, but I'm starting to feel that it makes rebuilds tougher. It feels like if your program is in a lane it's so much harder to get out of that lane, especially to improve. Players might stick on an A10 program doing well that's expected to continue to do well the following year, but who wants to be a part of an A10 rebuild, especially if you're a role player?

It feels like we need something to really shock the system and change things. I thought Archie himself was enough, but so far he hasn't been. It feels like we need our high end boosters to really pony up for a greatly improved roster to get us out of the lane/rut we're in and get us pointed back to the top
Yeah, you've gotta be a serious team to get serious players. Or our boosters can use NIL to pretty much buy some guys.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I know the portal and NIL has made it tough for mid-majors but it's disappointing that a staff that was supposed to be strong recruiting has missed so often.
3 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979 wrote: 1 month ago I know the portal and NIL has made it tough for mid-majors but it's disappointing that a staff that was supposed to be strong recruiting has missed so often.
I wonder if you gave the staff truth serum what they'd say about the guys they've brought in so far. How many did they bring in and met or exceeded expectations? How many guys did they simply bring in as cannon fodder because they needed to complete a roster and if they exceeded expectations than great.

How many of the misses were truly misses vs just roster filler?
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

RR2, that's a great point.

My guess is, some of them were roster filler due to the sheer number of players needed, along with the fact there wasnt enough money to offer them.

Could be facing the same issue this off season, depending on the number needed again to fill the roster.

Whatever happens, the need for at least 2-3 high level transfers has never been more important.

Might take another year after that for enough money to become available to bring in enough talent to at least contend for the top of the league.

Of course even with enough money to spend, just how good is this staff at evaluating and recruiting?

Just having money doesn't guarantee squat for sure.
Last edited by rambone 78 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Only minor surprise so far is Weston. But for the most part so far I just see a chance to get better.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

If what I saw on twitter that KJ might be leaving, there's probably a chance that both Hammond and Farrell decommit. I think it was BAR that posted it, so it's someone who knows, not someone just throwing shit out there.
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago RR2, that's a great point.

My guess is, some of them were roster filler due to the sheer number of players needed, along with the fact there wasnt enough money to offer them.

Could be facing the same issue this off season, depending on the number needed again to fill the roster.

Whatever happens, the need for at least 2-3 high level transfers has never been more important.

Might take another year after that for enough money to become available to bring in enough talent to at least contend for the top of the league.
I strongly suspect NILflation. Sure a million might look like a good budget now. How long before it isn't enough?
0 x
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 month ago If what I saw on twitter that KJ might be leaving, there's probably a chance that both Hammond and Farrell decommit. I think it was BAR that posted it, so it's someone who knows, not someone just throwing shit out there.

This account has been pretty reliable in the past.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Wait what
0 x
GO RAMS
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

As I said in the past: Kenny Johnson is likely marketing himself and bringing Hammond and Farrell with him.

We might be starting from scratch entirely
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Section104 wrote: 1 month ago As I said in the past: Kenny Johnson is likely marketing himself and bringing Hammond and Farrell with him.

Isn't he making like $450k a year? Marketing for what? A HC job?
0 x
RamAttitude
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by RamAttitude »

From Trilly’s Discord…

Samurai Sources tell The Dojo…Kenny Johnson is engaged in talks with Georgetown about their open AC spot
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Kenny leaving wouldn't surprise me. I always kind of assumed we'd be a quick stop over for him to rehab his image and get back to somewhere bigger.
2 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

theblueram wrote: 1 month ago
Section104 wrote: 1 month ago As I said in the past: Kenny Johnson is likely marketing himself and bringing Hammond and Farrell with him.

A bigger program. Likely St Johns
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Section104 wrote: 1 month ago

Or Georgetown
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Pitino added that St. John's will not play in the NIT if they are invited.

"I feel if we're gonna move forward, most of our time now needs to be spent recruiting because we're probably gonna have to bring in seven or eight new players," the head coach said about turning down a postseason invite. "Preparing for the NIT does not help our future. Now if it was a normal year – we'd only have to bring in three players, four players, then I think it would be beneficial. If you had a lot of young players that you wanted to further develop.

"But right now, we're in a situation where we gotta replace a lot of players."

https://sports.yahoo.com/st-johns-misse ... n%20invite.
Last edited by ramster 1 month ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Yeah, that's not going to happen...
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Some buzz on twitter about Georgetown. You know he'll land big time DMV recruits for them.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

adam914 wrote: 1 month ago Kenny leaving wouldn't surprise me. I always kind of assumed we'd be a quick stop over for him to rehab his image and get back to somewhere bigger.
I had discussed this possibility with some posters off the board several weeks ago.
The Louisville situation is behind him, and his show-cause expires very shortly.

Hope he stays but with all the assistant coach openings a lot can happen.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yeah I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Kenny will not be joining Pitino's staff again. Just a reminder...

https://www.leoweekly.com/news/rick-pit ... an%20Bowen.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Yeah losing Kenny and our recruits is no Bueno.........
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

If we lose are only two recruits I’ll be livid. This is an insane situation. How are we ever going to build a program??
0 x
GO RAMS
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 month ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 month ago Dubs just entered the portal.
Just another reason its kind of pointless to get all worked up over recruits.

People were all pumped he got offered by K State and Maryland. Obviously was offered by those schools as the last game on the bench.

He couldn't break the rotation on a 12-20 A10 team.
Agree. Can we tap the brakes on the recruiting hype?
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

How can you tap the brakes on the recruiting hype

when that is THE ONLY THING to get excited about around here these days?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Ugh sucks about Kenny possibly leaving , but it makes sense for him to be a top recruiter for a P5 school and not a middling mid major like us
0 x