How much does Oak View Group 360 contribute to the Collective?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Re: How much does Oak View Group 360 contribute to the Collective?

Unread post by Obadiah »

Oak View manages many properties and it's that large number that produces a profit and the amount ascribed to any one property is not large. Asking them for large contribution makes no sense. Any collective dedicated to URI MBB has to be rooted in those that are committed to URI and have strong bonds to the University. Fans and friends of URI have to put their money where their mouth is and not expect groups detached from URI to do so.The key metrics will be the participation level %, the average gift size and number of deep donors. All you need is to find one significant angel which will more than offset URI's weaker numbers versus say Dayton. It can be done.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Obadiah wrote: 1 month ago Oak View manages many properties and it's that large number that produces a profit and the amount ascribed to any one property is not large. Asking them for large contribution makes no sense. Any collective dedicated to URI MBB has to be rooted in those that are committed to URI and have strong bonds to the University. Fans and friends of URI have to put their money where their mouth is and not expect groups detached from URI to do so.The key metrics will be the participation level %, the average gift size and number of deep donors. All you need is to find one significant angel which will more than offset URI's weaker numbers versus say Dayton. It can be done.
What about the billions the NCAA makes? Me as a fan has to make up to pay for players to compensate the billions the NCAA makes? Hell, the President of the NCAA makes $15M. For what? He doesn't do jack shit.

In 2021, 626 employees of the NCAA received $85 million in compensation, which equates to an average compensation of $136,000. However, only 142 employees received more than $100,000 in compensation. The 16 most highly compensated employees were:

$2,991,112: Mark Emmert, President
$1,761,612: Donald Remy, EVP
$1,389,815: Stanley Wilcox, EVP
$ 867,300: Brian Hainline, Chief Medical Officer
$ 682,168: Kathleen McNeely, SVP of Admin and CFO
$ 627,805: Katrice Albert, EVP
$ 610,471: Daniel Gavitt, SVP
$ 602,924: Joni Comstock, SVP
$ 549,172: Jonathan Duncan, VP
$ 545,850: Kevin Lennon, VP
$ 547,054: Robert Williams, SVP
$ 431,415: Scott Bearby, Managing Director
$ 425,382: Theresa Gronau, VP
$ 417,024: David Schnase, VP
$ 412,948: Lynn Holzman, VP
$ 383,368: Naima Stevenson, VP
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 month ago
rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago Outside the diehards, our fans want the performance without paying for it.

The cart before the horse.

As BM just said, it doesn't work that way. But we keep trying!
If you can't afford beyond season tix, should you cancel those and give the $ to the collective instead? What's more beneficial to the program? (Asking for a friend)
Yes, and then pay for ESPN+
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Not Mike Powell wrote: 1 month ago
Blue Man wrote: 1 month ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 month ago Since the success of a team now depends on donations from fans, the teams with the more rabid fan bases will always be the better teams. A team like Dayton averages 13,000 some fans. If one third of them donate, they're getting donations from 4300 fans or so. We average 4000 fans. If one third of us donate, we are getting donations from about 1300 fans. Looking at it that way, we don't stand a chance.
1/3? LMAO. The real fan bases like Dayton and VCU require donations to get access season tickets. So they all donate. And some donate more on top of that.

Everyone that complains here has no idea how cheap our entertainment is...and then has the balls to complain about that expense, and decries the idea of having to also donate to the program on top of that.

Of the programs that we want to be in line with...take a look at VCU. https://vcuathletics.com/sports/2021/3/ ... ewals.aspx

Their "upper sideline" which I would have to imagine corresponds with sections 304-306 in the Ryan Center, is $600 per seat. Ours are between $325 and $425. Before you can even pay that ticket though, you have to donate $750 per seat per year.

Yet, our fans are INSENSED at the idea that because they pay cheap ass season ticket prices, that giving literally pocket change to the basketball team the purportedly care about is out of the question.

URI has always been behind because this fanbase is woefully behind. As a group, we do not get it. That's why the few of us on here that do have to write these long ass soliloquys to try and explain it.

Those programs that always seem to be good are the same programs that are constantly supported by their fanbases. It's always been that way. Why are Dayton and VCU consistently at the top of the A10? Because they're at the top of the A10 when it comes to fundraising and donations.

Like to people think it's a coincidence that the programs that are good stay good, and they happen to be the same programs that have the most in donations from their fans?

Why does URI have periods of despair and then brief moments of glory, only to be followed by despair? Because our fans require performance to donate, not understanding that the donations always precede the performance. And then when we do get a good performance, everyone sneers that giving additional money outside of tickets is bullshit and Jim Harrick recruited Lamar from a trailer so why do we need to give money to the program?
VCU has reached the NCAA Tournament 13 times since 2004. Anyone know where we’re at? I’d say they have a better return on investment for donations!
And do you think they were getting donations from their fans before that or after?

We couldn’t even sell out our building coming off an NCAA win and couldn’t offer our world class coach the infrastructure he needed…because we had no money.

They got Shaka, and kept him for a long time, and when they lost him? They got Will Wade. Lost him? Rhodes. Lost him? Reload again.

Their fans invest and continue to so they keep the good times rolling.

Our fanbase sucks. The sooner we all collectively realize that and reverse it, the better.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

theblueram wrote: 1 month ago
Obadiah wrote: 1 month ago Oak View manages many properties and it's that large number that produces a profit and the amount ascribed to any one property is not large. Asking them for large contribution makes no sense. Any collective dedicated to URI MBB has to be rooted in those that are committed to URI and have strong bonds to the University. Fans and friends of URI have to put their money where their mouth is and not expect groups detached from URI to do so.The key metrics will be the participation level %, the average gift size and number of deep donors. All you need is to find one significant angel which will more than offset URI's weaker numbers versus say Dayton. It can be done.
What about the billions the NCAA makes? Me as a fan has to make up to pay for players to compensate the billions the NCAA makes? Hell, the President of the NCAA makes $15M. For what? He doesn't do jack shit.

In 2021, 626 employees of the NCAA received $85 million in compensation, which equates to an average compensation of $136,000. However, only 142 employees received more than $100,000 in compensation. The 16 most highly compensated employees were:

$2,991,112: Mark Emmert, President
$1,761,612: Donald Remy, EVP
$1,389,815: Stanley Wilcox, EVP
$ 867,300: Brian Hainline, Chief Medical Officer
$ 682,168: Kathleen McNeely, SVP of Admin and CFO
$ 627,805: Katrice Albert, EVP
$ 610,471: Daniel Gavitt, SVP
$ 602,924: Joni Comstock, SVP
$ 549,172: Jonathan Duncan, VP
$ 545,850: Kevin Lennon, VP
$ 547,054: Robert Williams, SVP
$ 431,415: Scott Bearby, Managing Director
$ 425,382: Theresa Gronau, VP
$ 417,024: David Schnase, VP
$ 412,948: Lynn Holzman, VP
$ 383,368: Naima Stevenson, VP
$1.5 Million: Archie Miller
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 month ago Since the success of a team now depends on donations from fans, the teams with the more rabid fan bases will always be the better teams. A team like Dayton averages 13,000 some fans. If one third of them donate, they're getting donations from 4300 fans or so. We average 4000 fans. If one third of us donate, we are getting donations from about 1300 fans. Looking at it that way, we don't stand a chance.
1/3? LMAO. The real fan bases like Dayton and VCU require donations to get access season tickets. So they all donate. And some donate more on top of that.

Everyone that complains here has no idea how cheap our entertainment is...and then has the balls to complain about that expense, and decries the idea of having to also donate to the program on top of that.

Of the programs that we want to be in line with...take a look at VCU. https://vcuathletics.com/sports/2021/3/ ... ewals.aspx

Their "upper sideline" which I would have to imagine corresponds with sections 304-306 in the Ryan Center, is $600 per seat. Ours are between $325 and $425. Before you can even pay that ticket though, you have to donate $750 per seat per year.

Yet, our fans are INSENSED at the idea that because they pay cheap ass season ticket prices, that giving literally pocket change to the basketball team the purportedly care about is out of the question.

URI has always been behind because this fanbase is woefully behind. As a group, we do not get it. That's why the few of us on here that do have to write these long ass soliloquys to try and explain it.

Those programs that always seem to be good are the same programs that are constantly supported by their fanbases. It's always been that way. Why are Dayton and VCU consistently at the top of the A10? Because they're at the top of the A10 when it comes to fundraising and donations.

Like to people think it's a coincidence that the programs that are good stay good, and they happen to be the same programs that have the most in donations from their fans?

Why does URI have periods of despair and then brief moments of glory, only to be followed by despair? Because our fans require performance to donate, not understanding that the donations always precede the performance. And then when we do get a good performance, everyone sneers that giving additional money outside of tickets is bullshit and Jim Harrick recruited Lamar from a trailer so why do we need to give money to the program?
Blue Man is absolutely correct. Pee Cee does the same with their season ticket holders. Donate or be relegated to the nosebleed seats.

This is the new era of college sports. If you want a good product, you will need to pay for it. Do I like it? NO

This is only the beginning, wait until players unionize like Dartmouth College.

I have jumped on the NIL Collective bandwagon, because I want a better product at URI. I am tired of being the step-child of Pee Cee. I want a program that brings in as many fans, with an intense desire to win and to compete at the highest levels.

We can only do that with a large collective pot. I say give as much as you can, whether it is $25 a month or $2500 a month or $25K a month. Otherwise, dont complain about mediocrity.

In life, you get what you pay for.
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 month ago

Blue Man is absolutely correct. Pee Cee does the same with their season ticket holders. Donate or be relegated to the nosebleed seats.

This is the new era of college sports. If you want a good product, you will need to pay for it. Do I like it? NO

I have jumped on the NIL Collective bandwagon, because I want a better product at URI. I am tired of being the step-child of Pee Cee. I want a program that brings in as many fans, with an intense desire to win and to compete at the highest levels.

We can only do that with a large collective pot. I say give as much as you can, whether it is $25 a month or $2500 a month or $25K a month. Otherwise, dont complain about mediocrity.

I know you are a great fan. And I applaud your dedication. I would think by now the collective must have at least $500K. When do we know what is paid so we know if what we get what is paid for? Like if we go under .500 next year and the collective paid out $400k, will we know this? How much does it cost for a team to make the NCAAT?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

For, let’s say Colgate, Wager, VT, etc, etc, not much?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 month ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 month ago
rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago Outside the diehards, our fans want the performance without paying for it.

If you can't afford beyond season tix, should you cancel those and give the $ to the collective instead? What's more beneficial to the program? (Asking for a friend)
As a friend NYG keep the season tickets, no question.
Agreed. But my friend said, ask anyway, 'cuz you could get some funny stupid responses
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

I know you are a great fan. And I applaud your dedication. I would think by now the collective must have at least $500K. When do we know what is paid so we know if what we get what is paid for? Like if we go under .500 next year and the collective paid out $400k, will we know this? How much does it cost for a team to make the NCAAT?
All good questions.

Perhaps Stone, or the Collective Board Members should host a meet and greet to address some of these questions and concerns from fans and potential donors.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

If we were mediocre that would be an improvement.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 month ago

If we were mediocre that would be an improvement.
I can 100% guarantee you that our historical standing in the conference standings is 100% where we are funded relative to the other programs.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Earlier today on espn2 they were saying that it's become a straight pay to play free for all, NIL or no NIL.

Those who pay the most will get the best talent.

It was also mentioned that some sort of salary cap should be established, the amounts to differ based on conference.

If that happens it will be the end of a school like URI competing with the P5's.

I agree that our funding level currently has a way to go to compete with the top of our own conference.

Something has to change, or we may never even have our occasional stretches of winning again.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago Earlier today on espn2 they were saying that it's become a straight pay to play free for all, NIL or no NIL.

It was also mentioned that some sort of salary cap should be established, the amounts to differ based on conference.

If that happens it will be the end of a school like URI competing with the P5's.

I agree that our funding level currently has a way to go to compete with the top of our own conference.

Something has to change, or we may never even have our occasional stretches of winning again.
I think our competing with the P5's ended a while ago.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

You could be right Billyboy.

Back in the day we could recruit a kid who wasnt that highly rated, but would turn out to be very good after a couple of years, the under the radar types. And they would stay.

But now, even if that were to happen again, they will be gone in a flash to a program with the big bucks.

So hard to get good and really hard to stay good.

Loyalty to money trumps loyalty to a program nowadays, and it will only get worse.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Where exactly does concession 🌭 🍻 🍿 money go and where does corporate sponsorship go - especially the air time during radio broadcasts. Does Learfield ever produce these figures? No blast, but genuinely curious.

I feel like football has a better food option based on food trucks alone. Plus, drink a few pops at your car?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I thought the issue is all the money the NCAA makes and the players don't get any of it????? Where the hell is that money????? What other source of money do the players want? Go Fund Me donations?
The issue here isn't the players, it's the schools thinking they can still keep everything with the players using the collective or new pie as people want to say. Eventually they'll be named employees and the collectives will go away for the most part
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 month ago
rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago Earlier today on espn2 they were saying that it's become a straight pay to play free for all, NIL or no NIL.

In 2017-18 we beat Seton Hall in their backyard (Barclays Center), beat Providence, and beat Oklahoma in the tournament. That feels pretty competitive. Our we saying that was a while ago and that we can't do something similar again?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Honest question to get back to the original question posed. Do we want facility management companies to start donating? If they did they would just do something like 5% of proceeds from a building sent back to that school's NIL. Seems to me with our lethargic attendance even in some of our best years if something like that starts we would fall further behind than we are, but at least we'd give people something else to complain about.

And really isn't that what this is all about? The gripes we've been able to develop along the way?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 month ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 month ago

In 2017-18 we beat Seton Hall in their backyard (Barclays Center), beat Providence, and beat Oklahoma in the tournament. That feels pretty competitive. Our we saying that was a while ago and that we can't do something similar again?
I'm talking about competing for top recruits.
0 x