11/14 | Wagner | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Re: 11/14 | Wagner | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by rhodylaw »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 months ago
theblueram wrote: 5 months ago
hrstrat57 wrote: 5 months ago

This bottom line. How do you fix it? Maybe sustained winning and a long tenure high level HC?

Time will tell but no doubt a big portion of our crowd these first four games were retirees…
I think a problem might be that the younger generation is getting priced out of South County, thus making them move further away from URI.
Great point, the housing crunch in these parts is unreal.
Honestly - I think the problem is pricing. There is no reason any ticket to any game (outside of baseline and club seats) should be more than $10 to $15. We charge more for “premium” opponents that are not really all that “premium” and we have a product that has not been reliably good since the 90s.

Add to that, when you get there concessions are priced like it is Fenway. Cheap tickets, $6/$7 beers and the place will fill up when we show any sign of life. It is tough to expect a couple to drop $100 plus for a night of basketball on a team without a recent history of success.

I took my kids basketball team last year to a BC game when they played #1 ranked Virginia, bought 25 tickets for $200. It’s a choice, do you want to subsidize building a fan base or do you want to treat it like you have a loyal fan base that will pay whatever (Pats, Sox, etc.).
6 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 5 months ago Aside from our massive upgrade in talent across the board

What really sticks out to me is how unselfish this team is. They really like sharing the ball around and you almost never see guys hogging the ball or jacking up a bunch of contested threes like we've seen here way too often.

Its also a really good sign that we took care of business the way we have these first three games. There have been several teams that have either been upset or close to it this year. We have left no doubt in every game, which I think speaks to how dialed in they are to playing TEAM basketball.

I dont think Dan's best teams shared the ball quite like this either. We just don't force things and take a bunch of bad shots. We play so much smarter than a ton of teams I've seen this year.

Gotta shout out Big Fou Fou. We don't have 6'11 dudes that play like that. In game 3? Sheeeeeit.
Besides the upgraded talent and basketball IQ , I think the coaching is really starting to take hold and shows in the play and attitude of the team.

Adversity will come but I think the developing culture will help sustain a winning season - barring any serious injuries.
3 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

rhodylaw wrote: 5 months ago

I think a problem might be that the younger generation is getting priced out of South County, thus making them move further away from URI.
Honestly - I think the problem is pricing. There is no reason any ticket to any game (outside of baseline and club seats) should be more than $10 to $15. We charge more for “premium” opponents that are not really all that “premium” and we have a product that has not been reliably good since the 90s.

Add to that, when you get there concessions are priced like it is Fenway. Cheap tickets, $6/$7 beers and the place will fill up when we show any sign of life. It is tough to expect a couple to drop $100 plus for a night of basketball on a team without a recent history of success.

I took my kids basketball team last year to a BC game when they played #1 ranked Virginia, bought 25 tickets for $200. It’s a choice, do you want to subsidize building a fan base or do you want to treat it like you have a loyal fan base that will pay whatever (Pats, Sox, etc.).
Good point, RL and good discussion.

Myself, I tend to lean towards a combination of issues - which you all have pretty much insightfully covered - for the mediocre attendance.

I am not sure which particular issues are more impactful than others, necessarily, as I haven’t done a deep study but I would like to see an overall strategy from Rhody to offset what is in their control. Not that a plan isn’t in place already but I am not in the loop to know.
0 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

rhodylaw wrote: 5 months ago

Rhodylaw I think you are on to something. The pricing for individual games is quite high. Economics is simple, the demand is not quite where we all want it to be yet, so I think the price of tickets should come down. And you are absolutely correct about the concession prices, they are ridiculous. A stale pretzel costs $6 and there is no way in hell that the price of beers should be the same as at TD Bank and more expensive than the Civic Center (whatever the hell that is called now). The attendance will pick up as I think they sold a decent amount of five game and three game packages. Plus the games do get a little better once the A10 season starts. But last nights attendance was disappointing as this is a fun team to watch and hopefully more people will come out to support them.

But I do wish this board in general will stop the constant complaining that goes on about basically anything and everything. It is quite exhausting frankly. The students suck, EZ buckets suck, the PA guy sucks (true), the new design of Meade sucks, our band sucks, the guys are fat and the women are ugly (OK made the last one up). At least the basketball no longer sucks and to me that is the most important thing.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

EZ Buckets sucks? That’s a new one, No?
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I have been tracking our home attendance on per game basis for most of the last decade. I actually have a spreadsheet with tabs by season. I am therefore not the least bit surprised by our poor attendance. Losing a lot of games takes its toll. The hiring of Miller last year brought a slight uptick in interest and attendance. The poor performance on the court last year however has hurt interest and attendance for this current season. Attendance typically follows team success and lags a bit.

URI basketball is coming off THREE straight losing seasons. Last year's team was historically bad. The home schedule for this season does not have PC and lacks other opponents that might attract fans. No one should be surprised that attendance will be depressed this year.

The other dynamic that does not help URI men's basketball is the up and down cyclical nature of the program. There is never a long enough period of sustained success to keep things going. Every step forward it seems is followed by a step backward with new fan momentum being lost and having to be built back up again. A-10 teams such as Dayton and VCU have good attendance selling out most of their home games because they typically have some success EVERY season. Losing records have been few and far between over the last three decades for these programs. That has not been the case for URI. We have now had three extended multi season down cycles in the last 25 years. That takes a toll. Thankfully, URI does have a loyal core group of supporters that comes out every year regardless of the team's performance on the court. Our attendance numbers have never sunk to the low levels such as can be found at the much bigger enrollment A-10 peer UMass.

As many have opined before, win and the fans will then follow.
8 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RF1 wrote: 5 months ago I have been tracking our home attendance on per game basis for most of the last decade. I actually have a spreadsheet with tabs by season. I am therefore not the least bit surprised by our poor attendance. Losing a lot of games takes its toll. The hiring of Miller last year brought a slight uptick in interest and attendance. The poor performance on the court last year however has hurt interest and attendance for this current season. Attendance typically follows team success and lags a bit.

URI basketball is coming off THREE straight losing seasons. Last year's team was historically bad. The home schedule for this season does not have PC and lacks other opponents that might attract fans. No one should be surprised that attendance will be depressed this year.

The other dynamic that does not help URI men's basketball is the up and down cyclical nature of the program. There is never a long enough period of sustained success to keep things going. Every step forward it seems is followed by a step backward with new fan momentum being lost and having to be built back up again. A-10 teams such as Dayton and VCU have good attendance selling out most of their home games because they typically have some success EVERY season. Losing records have been few and far between over the last three decades for these programs. That has not been the case for URI. We have now had three extended multi season down cycles in the last 25 years. That takes a toll. Thankfully, URI does have a loyal core group of supporters that comes out every year regardless of the team's performance on the court. Our attendance numbers have never sunk to the low levels such as can be found at the much bigger enrollment A-10 peer UMass.

As many have opined before, win and the fans will then follow.
Yep. The Jerry Duh, Baron and early Hurley rebuild years killed a lot of fan building possibility.

(PTSD TRIGGER WARNING)

Kinda a perfect storm of suck if you think about it. You follow the great late 90's run with two disgusting 20 loss seasons to kill every bit of momentum built from Penders, to Skinner and Harrick. Then Baron does nothing but tease everyone and fail in the most gut wrenching ways possible. Then we had to wait five more years with Hurley that included just coming short in 14- 15 and the EC injury that lead to the painfully mediocre 15-16 season.

Two great seasons FINALLY then Cox destroyed it.

Really hard to have a great fanbase with that...

Take us to the promised land Archie and don't go away! Pweeeeaaaasee? 🥺
4 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

The post Harrick years are truly a lesson plan in how not to run a basketball program. We should have been able to parlay that Penders through Harrick era into a Dayton or VCU type fanbase. Instead we completely screwed the pooch by hiring Jerry D then hired a milquetoast replacement. That we squandered the first 14 years of the Ryan Center by not producing one NCAA team in that time is truly stunning.

That said, that is why it's so annoying when people try to act like we're in anyway similar to a program like Fordham or Duquesne. During our bad era, which I'm counting as the Jerry D, Baron, and first 4 years of Hurley, we completed a 7600 seat, top of the line arena. We went 117-158 in conference in those 7 years. Certainly not good, but a .425 conference winning percentage is way better than they've ever achieved for any sustained time in the A10. And even though we didn't make the tournament in those 17 years, we did make 6 NITs, again way better than the true bottom feeders. Even at our worst we still far eclipse some programs that even though they're in the A10 are clearly not A10 quality, and never will be
4 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Great use of the word milquetoast RR02.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RI_Bred wrote: 5 months ago Great use of the word milquetoast RR02.
Not going to lie, I'm pretty proud that I was able to fit "screw the pooch" and milquetoast into one sentence
3 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

These are all good points and a valid discussion. To summarize:

1) losing record for 3 years kills loyal fan base
2) 40 min drive from Providence makes attending on a weeknight difficult
3) weak OOC schedule will never draw well
4) packaged ticket plan games will draw better
5) Ryan center (tickets and concessions) is too expensive given all of the above

Easier said than done but they should legit be giving away tickets to these games. The more people in the building the better. You’re not losing money. The seat was empty anyways
1 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

Attendance is going to go up and down all season long sometimes for no logical reason at all. It happens every single year no matter how bad or good we are. We literally have the same conversation every single year. It’s no use comparing us to Providence either, two completely different locations. One is in a fairly large urban setting that is easy to get to. I have season tickets and I live about 30 minutes away. Sometimes I would rather just stay home and stream it than go out. I’m always happy when I physically go to a game, sometimes getting myself to go is a battle and I expect it is for others too.
Last edited by BleedBlue87 5 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

KingstonLane wrote: 5 months ago These are all good points and a valid discussion. To summarize:

5) Ryan center (tickets and concessions) is too expensive given all of the above

Easier said than done but they should legit be giving away tickets to these games. The more people in the building the better. You’re not losing money. The seat was empty anyways
Towards the end of last year I think they were basically giving tickets for free in promotions.
0 x
Go Rhody
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Rhody15 wrote: 5 months ago
ramfansince58 wrote: 5 months ago I watched video of Rory Stewart in high school posted on this site. I thought he looked lost and said so on this forum. I was attacked immediately by steviestuds who was touting him as a high level recruit. Who needs Arch when we have experts like him.

Sorry to hear about the loss of Dave Stenhouse. I watched him star for URI at Keaney in the late 50,s before going on to major league baseball.
He touts 99% of kids we get like they’ll be All Americans lol never fails with him.

Said Dubsky would have an impact this season, etc etc.

List goes on and on.

He won’t see this post though because I hurt his feelings and he has me blocked.
Why would you give someone so passionate about Rhody hoops a hard time. I know StStuds well, we always talk about players and the team away from KB. We are all guilty of getting excited about recruits and new players and they don’t always live up to our expectations. If you don’t get excited about the team and players, go root for Duke where it’s almost certain the hype is real. The longtime fans here love our Rams and are almost always overly opportunistic. Rhody15, I sometimes think you are a Friar looking to stir it up. StStuds is the most passionate fan, maybe except for BlueMan, I’ve met. You are the MAN StS!!!!
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

KingstonLane wrote: 5 months ago These are all good points and a valid discussion. To summarize:

I wonder how many 3 game and 5 game plans were sold this year?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Mongo wrote: 5 months ago
ramfansince58 wrote: 5 months ago I watched video of Rory Stewart in high school posted on this site. I thought he looked lost and said so on this forum. I was attacked immediately by steviestuds who was touting him as a high level recruit. Who needs Arch when we have experts like him.

Sorry to hear about the loss of Dave Stenhouse. I watched him star for URI at Keaney in the late 50,s before going on to major league baseball.
He touts 99% of kids we get like they’ll be All Americans lol never fails with him.

List goes on and on.

He won’t see this post though because I hurt his feelings and he has me blocked.
Why would you give someone so passionate about Rhody hoops a hard time. I know StStuds well, we always talk about players and the team away from KB. We are all guilty of getting excited about recruits and new players and they don’t always live up to our expectations. If you don’t get excited about the team and players, go root for Duke where it’s almost certain the hype is real. The longtime fans here love our Rams and are almost always overly opportunistic. Rhody15, I sometimes think you are a Friar looking to stir it up. StStuds is the most passionate fan, maybe except for BlueMan, I’ve met. You are the MAN StS!!!!
We have all moved on.
0 x
Go Rhody
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

List goes on and on.

We have all moved on.
Good!!! Now you move on back to Friarland.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

We have all moved on.
Thanks Mongo. You’re the man!
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

List goes on and on.

Well said Mongo !! You rock !
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

steveystuds06 wrote: 5 months ago

We have all moved on.
Thanks Mongo. You’re the man!
No , you have moved on , the rest can’t stand you and will rip you a new one !
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

ramfansince58 wrote: 5 months ago You touted Rory and now you have to eat it. Get over it.
Where have you been Ramfansince58? For such a diehard fan like yourself, it's odd that you're not around during this run. Any thoughts on how the team looks?

Oh, and I touted Cam Esteves and David Green much more than I did Rory. I'm eating it, and it tastes so good!!
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhodyram99
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhodyram99 »

Speaking of Rory, what is his deal. Dropped off the radar completely from last year.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Rhodyram99 wrote: 3 months ago Speaking of Rory, what is his deal. Dropped off the radar completely from last year.
He's not going to play over Green, Brown, Fou, Fuchs, etc... He can shoot. He has some nice skills. But I think the game is too fast for him at this level. It wouldn't surprise me if he went to a low major and put up decent numbers. We are going to have a few guys leave after this year. If I had to predict, I would say Rory, Weston, and Bilau will be gone. Possibly Connor if Archie doesn't think he can develop but it's always good to have a sniper so I think he'll be here another year.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 months ago
Rhodyram99 wrote: 3 months ago Speaking of Rory, what is his deal. Dropped off the radar completely from last year.
He's not going to play over Green, Brown, Fou, Fuchs, etc... He can shoot. He has some nice skills. But I think the game is too fast for him at this level. It wouldn't surprise me if he went to a low major and put up decent numbers. We are going to have a few guys leave after this year. If I had to predict, I would say Rory, Weston, and Bilau will be gone. Possibly Connor if Archie doesn't think he can develop but it's always good to have a sniper so I think he'll be here another year.
Well they have to make room for at least two players.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
KeaneyTheChemist
Abdul Fox

Unread post by KeaneyTheChemist »

Wagner just won the NEC and is headed to the NCAAT, presumably as a 16 seed that will play in the first four. I guess the only silver lining from this season is that URI defeated one NCAAT team ... safe to count this as progress?
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

KeaneyTheChemist wrote: 1 month ago Wagner just won the NEC and is headed to the NCAAT, presumably as a 16 seed that will play in the first four. I guess the only silver lining from this season is that URI defeated one NCAAT team ... safe to count this as progress?
no
1 x
:lol:
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

KeaneyTheChemist wrote: 1 month ago Wagner just won the NEC and is headed to the NCAAT, presumably as a 16 seed that will play in the first four. I guess the only silver lining from this season is that URI defeated one NCAAT team ... safe to count this as progress?
Actually kind of funny - for all the complaining about how "soft" our schedule was this year. The SOS metric for this season was 3.47 for URI (0.00 is an average schedule rating for the NCAA). Last year it was a .49, the last Cox year was a 1.22.

Dan's NCAA teams had an SOS of 4.61 and 4.62. So Arch really didn't schedule as soft as everyone wants to say. 3 Q1 OOC games. 2 Q2 OOC games.

Again, this was a rebuild year. Not an NCAA year. It's still a significant step up in competition from last year.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

Blue Man wrote: 1 month ago
Actually kind of funny - for all the complaining about how "soft" our schedule was this year. The SOS metric for this season was 3.47 for URI (0.00 is an average schedule rating for the NCAA). Last year it was a .49, the last Cox year was a 1.22.

Dan's NCAA teams had an SOS of 4.61 and 4.62. So Arch really didn't schedule as soft as everyone wants to say. 3 Q1 OOC games. 2 Q2 OOC games.

Again, this was a rebuild year. Not an NCAA year. It's still a significant step up in competition from last year.
The nonconference schedule was very soft. Wagner is making the tournament, but their current KenPom ranking is 292.
Their SOS is much better this year because the A10 is much better. As of right now the A10 has 8 teams in KenPom's top 100 while last year had 3. (St Joseph's is currently just outside at 104.)
Currently URI is last in the A10 in KenPom at 210. Last year there were 5 teams worse than URIs current ranking. FWIW, they also finished last but was at 255.

The average of the A10 team w/URI removed in KenPom is 119.6 this year while last year it was 159.6
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

spookydog wrote: 1 month ago

The nonconference schedule was very soft. Wagner is making the tournament, but their current KenPom ranking is 292.
Their SOS is much better this year because the A10 is much better. As of right now the A10 has 8 teams in KenPom's top 100 while last year had 3. (St Joseph's is currently just outside at 104.)
Currently URI is last in the A10 in KenPom at 210. Last year there were 5 teams worse than URIs current ranking. FWIW, they also finished last but was at 255.

The average of the A10 team w/URI removed in KenPom is 119.6 this year while last year it was 159.6
So URI is dragging down the A10 NET
IMG_2651.jpeg
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

So wouldn't having an extra win and better year end seeding indicate a small step forward for the program if the conference is so much better? Especially with how young/inexperienced our team was? Not as much progress as we hoped but not worth the pitchforks some of the locals have been toting around?
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 month ago

So wouldn't having an extra win and better year end seeding indicate a small step forward for the program if the conference is so much better? Especially with how young/inexperienced our team was? Not as much progress as we hoped but not worth the pitchforks some of the locals have been toting around?
I agree with you. I was specifically commenting on the significant step up competition. The only reason that improved is because the A10 improved. That was the only point I was making. Their nonconference schedule was still appalling, ie Johnson & Whales.

as for the A10 NET. There are 9 teams in the top 100 while last year there was 3.
This year the average (excluding URI) was 112 while last year it was 160.3 The good news is we didnt finish in last the previous year. We beat Loyola Chicago by a cool 4 spots. :)
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Committee licking its chops !

Wags v Uconn for DH baby !
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

reef wrote: 1 month ago Committee licking its chops !

Licking their chops? For a first four Wagner team?

That is certainly not on any of the committee members minds.
0 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 1 month ago

Disagree. The committee loves these little "we had no idea when we created this potential matchup there would be storylines to it" matchups
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yeah 100%, the committee loves to setup these storylines. I could definitely see them potentially trying to match up UConn and Wagner.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

adam914 wrote: 1 month ago Yeah 100%, the committee loves to setup these storylines. I could definitely see them potentially trying to match up UConn and Wagner.
The NEC winner was always going to very good chance to play UConn. They are usually a first four team while UConn will be a Top 2 seed.
0 x
Go Rhody
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

adam914 wrote: 1 month ago Yeah 100%, the committee loves to setup these storylines. I could definitely see them potentially trying to match up UConn and Wagner.
The NEC winner was always going to very good chance to play UConn. They are usually a first four team while UConn will be a Top 2 seed.
Yep, they are already going to be matched up with one of the top seeds anyway, which is why I could see them leaning in to the storyline with Hurley/Wagner when deciding which one it'll be.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

adam914 wrote: 1 month ago
Yep, they are already going to be matched up with one of the top seeds anyway, which is why I could see them leaning in to the storyline with Hurley/Wagner when deciding which one it'll be.
Don’t think the committee is “licking its chops” thinking they need that matchup though.

It’s not like they need those two teams playing to stir up interest.

Won’t move the needle.
0 x
Go Rhody
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Don’t think the committee is “licking its chops” thinking they need that matchup though.

Won’t move the needle.
I love how much reef lives in your head rent free!! :lol: It's one the funniest things on the board to see how triggered you get by all his posts.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Won’t move the needle.
I love how much reef lives in your head rent free!! :lol: It's one the funniest things on the board to see how triggered you get by all his posts.
I mean let’s call a spade a spade, most of his posts are wrong, make little sense, and his questions can quickly and easily be looked up with a simple google search.
0 x
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Won’t move the needle.
Thanks Adam I love that rent free quote ! Made my day !
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 1 month ago

Won’t move the needle.
Thanks Adam I love that rent free quote ! Made my day !
Media could be eager to jump on this story also about Wagner. Love the idea that the Quarterback had to be brought on for a few games.

QB Devin Ferrell for URI played basketball at a strong Milton High School. Plus WR Marquis Buchanan was POY in RI High School Basketball from Classical HS. Just sayin.

0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Disagree. The committee loves these little "we had no idea when we created this potential matchup there would be storylines to it" matchups
Like I said.
0 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Like I said.
Like you said 4 days ago Uconn would be a 2 seed? They are the number 1 seed in the tournament.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 1 month ago

Like I said.
Like you said 4 days ago Uconn would be a 2 seed? They are the number 1 seed in the tournament.
What dude? I never ever said UConn would be a 2 seed. What are you talking about?

I said the committee wouldn’t be “licking their chops” to put Wagner vs UConn.
0 x
Go Rhody