Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel and Portal - 2024-25

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Re: Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel and Portal - 2024-25

Unread post by SGreenwell »

RamStock wrote: 1 month ago
Rhody_NYCT wrote: 1 month ago
adam914 wrote: 1 month ago

Sure, some coaches stay at a college for a long time, as long as they get an extension and more money. And they don't jump around to 2-3-4 schools in 5 years because they have a contract that guarantees they'll get paid or get a hefty buyout. They have an incentive to stay. I'm sure more players would be happy to stay at the same school if given the same guarantees as a coach. Oh and what plays a major factor in how successful a coach is? I'm pretty sure its the players. Remember that saying its not the X's and the O's its the Jimmy's and the Joe's?

I don't think the current system is really the best way to handle all this, and I don't think it'll be the ultimate long term solution either. But I am just glad the players are finally getting a piece of the pie at least for now until a better system is in place. And I think a lot of these comments coming from coaches complaining about it are very disingenuous. It's the virtue signaling that bothers me.
The players deserve to make money, but it can't be a free for all. If there is no continuity then there will be a sport that eventually loses its popularity. And should all college athletes get paid? Or just football and basketball etc? There are so many things that need to be figured out here. And Since when is playing a D1 sport not a privilege? Especially on a high level. It's as if it's a punishment unless they are paid big bucks. This is insane. If they are all about making money and not interested in the college experience, go try and play in the g league or overseas. We need to figure out what exactly a college sport is. Is it semi-pro? Pro? Without college sports most of these guys would be without a basketball career. Like I said, a lot of these guys deserve something, but let's keep it in persecutive before the sport is ruined.
Both college basketball and football have already lost their popularity to a lot of fans. College football had a good system with the 4 team playoff and the importance of the regular season, but now they are moving it to 14 teams. The only thing college basketball still has left is the first weekend of the tournament which is still the best weekend in sports. The rest of college basketball with the transfer portal, the NIL and the conference realignments have made both college basketball and football a lot less interesting and many people you talk with just don’t follow it like they used to.
College football and women's college basketball (thanks to Caitlin Clark mostly and also South Carolina) are in pretty healthy places from a ratings perspective. Men's basketball ratings have also been pretty decent throughout the year. I think people like to complain about the transfer portal, but they're still watching anyway. (We've had three pretty crappy years, and page views are still pretty high here.)
2 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

Sure, some coaches stay at a college for a long time, as long as they get an extension and more money. And they don't jump around to 2-3-4 schools in 5 years because they have a contract that guarantees they'll get paid or get a hefty buyout. They have an incentive to stay. I'm sure more players would be happy to stay at the same school if given the same guarantees as a coach. Oh and what plays a major factor in how successful a coach is? I'm pretty sure its the players. Remember that saying its not the X's and the O's its the Jimmy's and the Joe's?

I don't think the current system is really the best way to handle all this, and I don't think it'll be the ultimate long term solution either. But I am just glad the players are finally getting a piece of the pie at least for now until a better system is in place. And I think a lot of these comments coming from coaches complaining about it are very disingenuous. It's the virtue signaling that bothers me.
The players deserve to make money, but it can't be a free for all. If there is no continuity then there will be a sport that eventually loses its popularity. And should all college athletes get paid? Or just football and basketball etc? There are so many things that need to be figured out here. And Since when is playing a D1 sport not a privilege? Especially on a high level. It's as if it's a punishment unless they are paid big bucks. This is insane. If they are all about making money and not interested in the college experience, go try and play in the g league or overseas. We need to figure out what exactly a college sport is. Is it semi-pro? Pro? Without college sports most of these guys would be without a basketball career. Like I said, a lot of these guys deserve something, but let's keep it in persecutive before the sport is ruined.
It honestly sounds like we basically agree for the most part. Like I said, I'm not out here saying every player deserves millions. I do struggle with the transfer idea, just because I have yet to hear a compelling enough reason to convince me that a person shouldn't be allowed to transfer schools without a penalty if they want to. Whether that person is an athlete or not.

I agree that there is a ton to figure out, its complicated, and the current system isn't the answer. I think ultimately it probably needs to be some kind of revenue sharing model or something. So the only athletes getting paid should be ones who are generating revenue for the schools, NCAA, sponsors, networks, etc. So yeah, for the large majority of athletes that's either going to be nothing or very little. I don't think I've ever seen an athlete say it's a punishment unless they are paid big bucks either. So I'm not sure where that's coming from. And if there was more of a legitimate minor league pathway in place, then maybe that would solve some of the issue as well, but right now there's not really.
I'm sure we are more on the same page than I originally thought, and of course, I was being facetious about the "punishment" comment. Revenue sharing is a good idea. The way it is now will not work. It's going to continue to hurt the sport. Keep in mind that the sport was already declining in terms of its product before the transfer portal, NIL , $$$ etc. With so many 1-and-dones, and underclassman leaving for the pros, the game of college basketball is not what it used to be. The talent and chemistry of teams hasn't been there for a while. Now you throw this wild west stuff on top of it and it's going to bring it down even more. And then it won't be long before this "model" makes its way to HS, AAU, travel teams etc...why not? I wouldn't be surprised either if the quality of college basketball head coaches diminishes too, over the next 5-10 years if sensible rules aren't in place soon. Anyway, I'm starting to sound like a grumpy old man. Thanks for listening to my ramble.
4 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

So basically just like those same coaches have always been. Weird how all of a sudden that's wrong when the players start doing it.
This kind of mentality is the end of college sports. How can you compare grown men that have proven themselves and earned a JOB to lead a basketball team and program with all the responsibilities that come with that, to a kid who is playing a sport at a college (oh, on a full ride)? MOST successful coaches stay at a college for a long time. Some leave after a relatively short period of time because they have a better offer and opportunity. Hurley left after six years right? Coaches don’t jump around to 2-3-4 schools in 5 years. It’s a joke. But it’s more of a joke to compare the Coach to the collegiate player. I’m tired of this. Let the whole thing burn down until some sensible rules on are put in place.
Sure, some coaches stay at a college for a long time, as long as they get an extension and more money. And they don't jump around to 2-3-4 schools in 5 years because they have a contract that guarantees they'll get paid or get a hefty buyout. And I'm not saying all players should be getting millions per year like coaches do.

Coaches have an incentive to stay. I'm sure more players would be happy to stay at the same school if given the same guarantees as a coach. Oh and what plays a major factor in how successful a coach is? I'm pretty sure its the players. Remember that saying its not the X's and the O's its the Jimmy's and the Joe's?

I don't think the current system is really the best way to handle all this, and I don't think it'll be the ultimate long term solution either. But I am just glad the players are finally getting a piece of the pie at least until a better system is in place. And I think a lot of these comments coming from coaches complaining about it are very disingenuous. It's the virtue signaling that bothers me.

I would be ok with them getting a piece of the pie, but this solution doesn’t do that. Where are the people and institutions who are making millions or billions cutting in the players? They are pushing the problem onto the fans…BS!
4 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

It honestly sounds like we basically agree for the most part. Like I said, I'm not out here saying every player deserves millions. I do struggle with the transfer idea, just because I have yet to hear a compelling enough reason to convince me that a person shouldn't be allowed to transfer schools without a penalty if they want to. Whether that person is an athlete or not.

I agree that there is a ton to figure out, its complicated, and the current system isn't the answer. I think ultimately it probably needs to be some kind of revenue sharing model or something. So the only athletes getting paid should be ones who are generating revenue for the schools, NCAA, sponsors, networks, etc. So yeah, for the large majority of athletes that's either going to be nothing or very little. I don't think I've ever seen an athlete say it's a punishment unless they are paid big bucks either. So I'm not sure where that's coming from. And if there was more of a legitimate minor league pathway in place, then maybe that would solve some of the issue as well, but right now there's not really.
All fair points. The main fact is that the kids deserve to be paid a share $1.3B the NCAA made in revenue last year.

As you can see, in plenty of examples, coaches aren't as good if they don't have good players. The players are earning the money. You did nail the fact that revenue sharing is the most obvious. If the kids are helping to make the money, than they deserve a piece. We can cry amateurism all we want, but the reality is that NCAA football and basketball are professional leagues and have been for some time.

For all the examples about kids being able to go on and make money...if they get hurt and blow out their knee while making their school money...their whole career can be wiped out.

Where the NCAA screwed up was prosecuting kids who were earning money on their likeness by selling autographs and making their own dollars on the side...while a music major could sell a CD they made and keep their profits. It was dumb.

There was also the aspect of a lot of these kids getting paid under the table - especially at the larger programs. So this NIL is actually a huge advantage for programs like URI because it levels the playing field - or at least gives us the opportunity to.

Granted, our fans have their panties in a bunch because the AUDACITY of funding the players you want to root for is ABSURD - and then think that all these "big programs" somehow have this magical bucket of money to pay kids...even though it's literally just their fans caring more and giving more money and we could all do the same...but I digress.

Yes there should be revenue sharing...but there will always be boosters and donors who are willing to throw extra to get those top guys. So whether or not there is revenue sharing doesn't change the fact that you'll always need your donors to step up. And if you're not rich and can't afford to give big money, you could just get a bunch of your friends together and each give a little bit, and then together you'd have a lot of money. Like a COLLECTIVE effort.

I think the only true way to settle this is to allow players to sign NIL contracts with collectives. This way the collectives can establish buyouts and attach incentives for guys...just like the coaches. So that the collectives are protected with buyouts and it's harder for other programs to simply come in and offer more.

Allow for longevity and team oriented goals (like coaches have) and then let the market handle itself.

It'll be a lot harder to poach a kid if he's got a buyout and if you attach multi-year incentives. Right now if a kid is making $50k, another school can come in and offer $75k and it's a done deal.

But if a kid is making $50k and would get a $25k bonus for staying a year...well now there's less incentive for him to leave. And if there's a $25k buyout attached, that means the other school that wants to steal this kid is now going to have to pay $100k and they may not want to make that investment.

But allowing multi-year contracts is the only way to solve this issue.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RIFan wrote: 1 month ago

This kind of mentality is the end of college sports. How can you compare grown men that have proven themselves and earned a JOB to lead a basketball team and program with all the responsibilities that come with that, to a kid who is playing a sport at a college (oh, on a full ride)? MOST successful coaches stay at a college for a long time. Some leave after a relatively short period of time because they have a better offer and opportunity. Hurley left after six years right? Coaches don’t jump around to 2-3-4 schools in 5 years. It’s a joke. But it’s more of a joke to compare the Coach to the collegiate player. I’m tired of this. Let the whole thing burn down until some sensible rules on are put in place.
Sure, some coaches stay at a college for a long time, as long as they get an extension and more money. And they don't jump around to 2-3-4 schools in 5 years because they have a contract that guarantees they'll get paid or get a hefty buyout. And I'm not saying all players should be getting millions per year like coaches do.

Coaches have an incentive to stay. I'm sure more players would be happy to stay at the same school if given the same guarantees as a coach. Oh and what plays a major factor in how successful a coach is? I'm pretty sure its the players. Remember that saying its not the X's and the O's its the Jimmy's and the Joe's?

I don't think the current system is really the best way to handle all this, and I don't think it'll be the ultimate long term solution either. But I am just glad the players are finally getting a piece of the pie at least until a better system is in place. And I think a lot of these comments coming from coaches complaining about it are very disingenuous. It's the virtue signaling that bothers me.

I would be ok with them getting a piece of the pie, but this solution doesn’t do that. Where are the people and institutions who are making millions or billions cutting in the players? They are pushing the problem onto the fans…BS!
Yeah, I'd much prefer that type of model if they can make it work. But I still don't mind donating what I can. I've always donated to the program already, so at least now I know it's going directly towards making the team better and to the players that actually play the game I love so much. I'd be donating either way anyway, and the University would still be asking fans for money anyway with or without NIL. One thing I know for sure is that they never miss an opportunity to ask for more money. :lol:
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 month ago I was thinking this too, I thought the colleges were making too much money and that the student athletes deserved a piece, but in reality , the fans need to pay more? That can’t be sustainable.
It's not, but what's going to make collectives mostly obsolete will be the athletes becoming employees. Lot of quick, massive changes because the NCAA put its head in the sand decades ago and refused to make any changes. Now we're seeing what happens when a dam like that breaks
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RIFan wrote: 1 month ago Coaches that were giving testimony this week said that players and families don’t care anymore about what your plans are for developing them and the family atmosphere etc…all they want to know is how much are you going to pay them.
So basically just like those same coaches have always been. Weird how all of a sudden that's wrong when the players start doing it.
Six years is NOT a long time when you consider it over about 40 years, which is the average length of an adult's full career cycle, give or take. That's not even a quarter of a career, so in essence Dan spent less than a "year" of his career with us when you break a career down into segments like we do with college players. And how many players are transferring every year? You're taking extreme examples and making them the general rule
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I donate as well, to my school. The school that has been there over 100 years and I received my degree from. A non profit institution.

I know I am on a high horse here and I can choose to remain there or just shrug my shoulders and say it is what it is and donate. I may choose to do so in the future if we ultimately can’t find a better solution. But if we all just donate, what incentive is there for the system to change? I really am pissed that the people who got us here have made untold sums of money and continue to..while making us suckers foot the bill. Archie makes more in 1 year than the average US worker will make in a lifetime…come one. Charlie Baker is making more then 2 lifetimes.
5 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RIFan wrote: 1 month ago I donate as well, to my school. The school that has been there over 100 years and I received my degree from. A non profit institution.

I know I am on a high horse here and I can choose to remain there or just shrug my shoulders and say it is what it is and donate. I may choose to do so in the future if we ultimately can’t find a better solution. But if we all just donate, what incentive is there for the system to change? I really am pissed that the people who got us here have made untold sums of money and continue to..while making us suckers foot the bill. Archie makes more in 1 year than the average US worker will make in a lifetime…come one. Charlie Baker is making more then 2 lifetimes.
There are haves and have nots!

What a revelation!

It's just 10 dollars... the sports entertainment would be nothing without fans and its always made money off of fans because of the demand for its entertainment value.

Would you rather buy some unhealthy meal or a beer? Or just give 10 dollars to help your favorite team win?

We are all degenerates here! It's the least we can do!

Besides there will he perks that go with a membership. Tailgates and stuff I'm sure. The bigger the collectives are, more fun they can be.
2 x
BobfromMatunuck
Michael Andersen

Unread post by BobfromMatunuck »

Watching this A10 tournament play out tells me there is opportunity for parity in this league. Everyone in the league is an offseason away from being a have or have not.
6 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

BobfromMatunuck wrote: 1 month ago Watching this A10 tournament play out tells me there is opportunity for parity in this league. Everyone in the league is an offseason away from being a have or have not.
It’s also a extreme missed opportunity for Rhode Island Rams basketball. We should have been in the mix. Rebound the ball, make foul shots and play a defense that contains the one or two best players on the other team.

Not rocket surgery…
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

The players deserve some of the money THAT HAS BEEN THERE ALL ALONG. I do not think fans, in addition to paying for tix and cable, should be asked to fund a whole new revenue stream...just doesn't seem right.

NCAA: "You're right, we've been making money off the backs of these dudes forever and not allowing them to have any. Here's what we'll do...you still can't have any of ours...but feel free to go out there and shake down the fans for whatever else you can get."
8 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Will any amount of Collective money, at our level get us players to execute the fundamentally flawed packline? 😏
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 1 month ago Will any amount of Collective money, at our level get us players to execute the fundamentally flawed packline? 😏
Probably a question for Stone? Or, maybe Stone and Arch together? I mean, I'm sure they'll discuss, right?
0 x
Rhodyg
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodyg »

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 month ago
BobfromMatunuck wrote: 1 month ago Watching this A10 tournament play out tells me there is opportunity for parity in this league. Everyone in the league is an offseason away from being a have or have not.
It’s also a extreme missed opportunity for Rhode Island Rams basketball. We should have been in the mix. Rebound the ball, make foul shots and play a defense that contains the one or two best players on the other team.

Not rocket surgery…
What also isn’t rocket surgery is the usage of “an” vs “a”
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Not rocket surgery…
Gosh golly gee...you should replace Archie with a breakdown like that. How come more coaches aren't successful? You've just revealed the secret to successful coaching. Winning at college basketball should be so easy.

By the way, what's "rocket surgery?"
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 1 month ago

Not rocket surgery…
Gosh golly gee...you should replace Archie with a breakdown like that. How come more coaches aren't successful? You've just revealed the secret to successful coaching. Winning at college basketball should be so easy.

t's a humorous conflation of two different idioms; “It's not rocket science” and “It's not brain surgery”. Those two phrases are both used to communicate that something isn't as complex or difficult as it could be, with the perceived extreme complexity of rocket science and brain surgery offered as a comparison
1 x
Don_Keedick
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Don_Keedick »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 month ago

Not rocket surgery…

t's a humorous conflation of two different idioms; “It's not rocket science” and “It's not brain surgery”. Those two phrases are both used to communicate that something isn't as complex or difficult as it could be, with the perceived extreme complexity of rocket science and brain surgery offered as a comparison
Yo playmikemotenmore you absolutely did not have to do him like that, all sarcastic and whatnot. “Gosh golly gee” ?????? then you went and said “what’s ’rocket surgery?’” … it would be like if Bob from Matunuck asked me “hey Don, do you wanna watch Rhody Basketball highlights at my place and then hit the local pub for a pint of sweet Irish champagne and a maybe laugh or two?”. Naturally I would respond “fuck yeah Bob, does the pope shit in the woods?” A classic line combining “does a bear shit in the woods” and “is the pope catholic”.
0 x
Ed Cooley is a pervert!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Don_Keedick wrote: 1 month ago

Yo playmikemotenmore you absolutely did not have to do him like that, all sarcastic and whatnot. “Gosh golly gee” ?????? then you went and said “what’s ’rocket surgery?’” … it would be like if Bob from Matunuck asked me “hey Don, do you wanna watch Rhody Basketball highlights at my place and then hit the local pub for a pint of sweet Irish champagne and a maybe laugh or two?”. Naturally I would respond “fuck yeah Bob, does the pope shit in the woods?” A classic line combining “does a bear shit in the woods” and “is the pope catholic”.
I'll say it again....classic handle/signature combo.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Agree
And he/she/they only joined a week ago!
0 x
BobfromMatunuck
Michael Andersen

Unread post by BobfromMatunuck »

ramster wrote: 1 month ago

Agree
And with all of that being said, hey Don, do you wanna watch Rhody Basketball highlights at my place and then hit the local pub for a pint of sweet Irish champagne and a maybe laugh or two?
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

BobfromMatunuck wrote: 1 month ago

Agree
And with all of that being said, hey Don, do you wanna watch Rhody Basketball highlights at my place and then hit the local pub for a pint of sweet Irish champagne and a maybe laugh or two?
Take Ryan with you guys!
0 x
Don_Keedick
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Don_Keedick »

Agree
Oh, fuck yeah Bob! Does the pope shit in the woods?
4 x
Ed Cooley is a pervert!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Agree
Oh, fuck yeah Bob! Does the pope shit in the woods?
Good plan. And it didn’t take any Rocket Surgery!!
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Rhodyg wrote: 1 month ago
It’s also a XTREME missed opportunity for Rhode Island Rams basketball. We should have been in the mix. Rebound the ball, make foul shots and play a defense that contains the one or two best players on the other team.

Not rocket surgery…
What also isn’t rocket surgery is the usage of “an” vs “a”
Fify 👆
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

BobfromMatunuck and Don_Keedick are definitely the same person, right?
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

187 players already transferring, and the portal doesn't even officially open until Monday 3/18.

Last year about 1,800 players entered the portal, maybe we reach 2,000 this year.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Jersey77 wrote: 1 month ago 187 players already transferring, and the portal doesn't even officially open until Monday 3/18.
It’s gonna be nuts. I’m going to have to change my mindset to appreciating it as pure entertainment.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Its insane.

If 2k transfer, that's basically half a roster per team on average.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

we should have a prediction contest...I predict 2,697
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago Its insane.

If 2k transfer, that's basically half a roster per team on average.
And consider graduates and grad students who are leaving school to be replaced by incoming freshmen

Let the bidding begin
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Not rocket surgery…

Nothing stirs up the minions more:

“Rocket Surgery”

What I can’t remember is who it was that first used it here? I was thinking 208.

Anyone remember?

(Wish I could take credit)
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

“Rocket Surgery”

What I can’t remember is who it was that first used it here? I was thinking 208.

Anyone remember?

99.9% sure it was NYGFan_Section208
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

“Rocket Surgery”

Anyone remember?

I've been using it since I saw it somewhere in the 1980s.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 1 month ago

“Rocket Surgery”

Anyone remember?

Which did you use first? Rocket Surgery, The Cartel or The Mental Hospital?
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

3 great ones along with Arrogant Haystacks Calhoun and Villanovabearing
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

No question it was rocket surgery.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

No question it was rocket surgery.
:lol: :lol: 8-) 8-)
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 month ago we should have a prediction contest...I predict 2,697
There might not be that many actual transfers…
But EVERYONE wants to know how much money they’re getting paid next year.
So I’ll take the over if it’s based on portal entrants.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rhodyrudder wrote: 1 month ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 month ago we should have a prediction contest...I predict 2,697
that's what I'm talking about - portal entrants
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Portalers
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

rhodyrudder wrote: 1 month ago
that's what I'm talking about - portal entrants
3000+
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Tough break for HC Alexander and Belmont, after winning their last 6 of 8 regular season MVC games.
Two of their top players both sophomores have decided to enter the portal:

PG Ja'Kobi Gillespie (6'1") - Averaged 17 pts (56% FG, 39% 3PT, 83% FT)/ 4 rebs/4 assists/ and 2 steals.
PF/C Malik Dia (6'9"/240) - Averaged 17 pts (49% FG, 35% 3 PT)/ 6 rebs.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Those are the kind of players we need.

Unfortunately I'm sure they are looking for P5 offers.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago Those are the kind of players we need.

Unfortunately I'm sure they are looking for P5 offers.
They are looking for $$$. P5 has nothing to do with it anymore.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 1 month ago Tough break for HC Alexander and Belmont, after winning their last 6 of 8 regular season MVC games.

PG Ja'Kobi Gillespie (6'1") - Averaged 17 pts (56% FG, 39% 3PT, 83% FT)/ 4 rebs/4 assists/ and 2 steals.
With Monday being the start of free agency, I'm guessing that every coach in the country is thinking, in their own necessitated order:

- who's leaving
- who do I want to leave/stay
- who's out there?

good thing there's a player personnel guy. I'm waiting for someone to identify as a portaler, while their team is still in it.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 month ago Tough break for HC Alexander and Belmont, after winning their last 6 of 8 regular season MVC games.

With Monday being the start of free agency, I'm guessing that every coach in the country is thinking, in their own necessitated order:

- who's leaving
- who do I want to leave/stay
- who's out there?

good thing there's a player personnel guy. I'm waiting for someone to identify as a portaler, while their team is still in it.
You forgot the most important question. For URI, it's Tom, how much do I have to get a point guard in here?

edit: Not sure of portalers, but we do have a fired coach in the tournament.
Last edited by theblueram 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

P5 teams have more money to offer than we do, in most cases anyway.

Those 2 are leaving not only for more money, but to join a program who is more likely to make the tournament.

That's what we and similar programs are up against.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago P5 teams have more money to offer than we do, in most cases anyway.

Those 2 are leaving not only for more money, but to join a program who is more likely to make the tournament.

That's what we and similar programs are up against.
You have absolutely zero idea if two Belmont transfers are leaving for a tournament team.

They could very well just go to the highest bidder, regardless of tournament chances.
0 x
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

My guess is the highest bidder will be higher than ours.
0 x