Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel and Portal - 2024-25

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
DuneClub
Abdul Fox

Re: The Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel 2023-24

Unread post by DuneClub »

I like some of the film I've seen on this portal guy Dion Brown (UMBC). He's also from nearby W. Ma. Line him up for a visit.

"What also has been fun is watching Brown emerge as one of the top players in the America East. He leads the conference in field goals (189) and offensive rebounds (66) and ranks third in points per game (18.9), sixth in rebounds (7.1), 11th in 3-pointers (1.6), 12th in shooting percentage (.501 on 189 of 377). He also ranks seventh among all NCAA Division I players in field goals.

His 473 points this season leave the 6-foot-3, 185-pound shooting guard nine points shy of Jarius Lyles’ sophomore record set in 2015-16. Brown has already surpassed Lyles’ record of 170 field goals and his 177 rebounds are 11 short of Kennedy Okafor’s No. 6 all-time ranking among sophomores."BalSun
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel and Portal - 2024-25

Unread post by reef »

Yeah it didn’t make much sense when he couldn’t even play 10-12 minutes per night , something went on behind the scenes
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

section(105) wrote: 1 month ago
Spook5365 wrote: 1 month ago What a waste. Very disappointed.
Yes, totally agree. Unless he was a complete team wrecker and locker room cancer. Again ya can’t teach 6’11’ freshmen with some raw skills. I would call it a stain on Archie’s resume to miss with this kid.
Let's see where/how he plays first?
1 x
Brian
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brian »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 month ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 month ago Didn’t we have someone head to the portal and then stay? This would suck.
Ish, in '22 when Archie first arrived.
That won't be the case here.
Malik Martin, too, I think
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 month ago
rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago We wont be able to compete with top P5 programs for recruits. That's a fact that wont change no matter how much NIL money we could offer them.

We have to win a few battles against our peers, the Daytons and VCU's of the world. Adam just made that point.

That's top of our league. Not the top of the sport.
I think we will be able to compete with them Bone.

The rest comes down to relationships and how that player feels they will fit in and get along with the team.

More important is the staff being able to first identify players that will make an impact.
I decided to do my part and make a higher monthly donation to Rhody Excellence. If every fan on here helps out, it really can make a difference, even if it's $10 a month.

But Ya, Fou isn't coming back. It's going to suck seeing him put up big numbers at another school in a year or two.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Yes, totally agree. Unless he was a complete team wrecker and locker room cancer. Again ya can’t teach 6’11’ freshmen with some raw skills. I would call it a stain on Archie’s resume to miss with this kid.
Always hard to know if it was the coach or if the player was not coachable. Fou’ s attempts to act like a point guard and dribble the length of the court only to turn it over has to be beyond frustrating to the coach . I think the last time Fou did it, might have given Archi plenty of reason to give up on the kid.

Also, I wondered how much effort Fou put in during his redshirt year to get stronger. To me, He looked similar to his redshirt year . Often wondered why he lost his balance so easily when he was in traffic.
1 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

McRam wrote: 1 month ago
Always hard to know if it was the coach or if the player was not coachable. Fou’ s attempts to act like a point guard and dribble the length of the court only to turn it over has to be beyond frustrating to the coach . I think the last time Fou did it, might have given Archi plenty of reason to give up on the kid.

Also, I wondered how much effort Fou put in during his redshirt year to get stronger. To me, He looked similar to his redshirt year . Often wondered why he lost his balance so easily when he was in traffic.
I thought the defensive end of the court was the biggest weakness in his game. I am not sure how he was not coached up a bit more during his red shirt year and during the season.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

DeanDome88 wrote: 1 month ago
McRam wrote: 1 month ago

I thought the defensive end of the court was the biggest weakness in his game. I am not sure how he was not coached up a bit more during his red shirt year and during the season.

Defense was everybody’s weakness this season. Nobody was coaches up enough apparently.

Foumena often times thought he was Durant attempting to go 1 on 4 coast to coast resulting in a terrible shot or turnover. Way too reckless on the break.

Also was a black hole any time the ball went to him in the post.

Definitely talented, but most likely drove Archie crazy multiple times a game.
0 x
Go Rhody
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

I try not to read into IG story's from young players. I did take notice of this IG story repost he had of someone Luis clearly knows well.

https://www.instagram.com/stories/iamlu ... B5ZHZnNzNo

The wording "Life is a journey and every chapter is very interesting. NEXT UP!!!! PROFESSIONAL BASKETBALL"

Wondering if this is a hint Luis wants to try and play overseas? He has been in college for four years and likely will graduate I would assume.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

sevegny7 wrote: 1 month ago I try not to read into IG story's from young players. I did take notice of this IG story repost he had of someone Luis clearly knows well.

https://www.instagram.com/stories/iamlu ... B5ZHZnNzNo

The wording "Life is a journey and every chapter is very interesting. NEXT UP!!!! PROFESSIONAL BASKETBALL"

Wondering if this is a hint Luis wants to try and play overseas? He has been in college for four years and likely will graduate I would assume.
Yeah sure looks like he may be goin pro
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

With the least surprising announcement yet, Rory in the portal.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

adam914 wrote: 1 month ago With the least surprising announcement yet, Rory in the portal.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rory might be decent MAAC, America East type player.
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

This one I understand, unfortunately he was more of a bridge pieces, but best of luck to him.
1 x
GO RAMS
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Isaiah Miranda is entering the portal again. Pretty sure he left the Oklahoma State program a while ago, only appeared in 3 games. Don’t know if Archie will show interest but I know Bryant will be involved.
0 x
Rhodyg
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodyg »

Ramfan22 wrote: 1 month ago Isaiah Miranda is entering the portal again. Pretty sure he left the Oklahoma State program a while ago, only appeared in 3 games. Don’t know if Archie will show interest but I know Bryant will be involved.
He most likely will not get involved, even if his assistants insist. because we know by now… It’s Miller. I hope I’m wrong
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Ramfan22 wrote: 1 month ago Isaiah Miranda is entering the portal again. Pretty sure he left the Oklahoma State program a while ago, only appeared in 3 games. Don’t know if Archie will show interest but I know Bryant will be involved.
He may be from Pawtucket but there are a lot of red flags surrounding him. He didn't work out at either NC State or OSU seeing very little action. Supposedly he and his family handlers have a much higher opinion of him than coaches. Given the issues Archie has had with his URI players, I would think he might have hesitations about going after someone with a reputation like Miranda.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

I thought he left OK. State after just 3 games to pursue a professional career, according to the coach.
The coach did mention he obviously had some challenges, took time off for personal reasons.
0 x
BobfromMatunuck
Michael Andersen

Unread post by BobfromMatunuck »

We all have to support the team like an organization now. That is the direction college basketball is heading. We cannot fall behind the curve! Trust
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

BobfromMatunuck wrote: 1 month ago We all have to support the team like an organization now. That is the direction college basketball is heading. We cannot fall behind the curve! Trust
An organization sounds like the Boston Celtics. As a fan, how do you support the Celtics other than going to games?????
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

RF1 wrote: 1 month ago
He may be from Pawtucket but there are a lot of red flags surrounding him. He didn't work out at either NC State or OSU seeing very little action. Supposedly he and his family handlers have a much higher opinion of him than coaches. Given the issues Archie has had with his URI players, I would think he might have hesitations about going after someone with a reputation like Miranda.
Eh - don’t care. Give me the talent.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I want to bring in proven players, not a high upside raw big. We just let one of those leave.. Yes, I know Fou wasn't rated as high as Miranda, but Miranda hasn't done a thing so far..
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rhodylaw wrote: 1 month ago
RF1 wrote: 1 month ago
Eh - don’t care. Give me the talent.
I’ve usually had the “give me talent” attitude but we’ve missed on a lot of those recently.

Mitchell twins (granted that was Cox)
Freeman

Talent usually trumps all, but I’m a little hesitant about these types of players now.
0 x
Go Rhody
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

He's played in three total college games and has transferred twice now. Dunno if that's a red flag.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 month ago
He's played in three total college games and has transferred twice now. Dunno if that's a red flag.
Pass
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Archie can’t be that desperate to go down this road again(Brayon), can he?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

theblueram wrote: 1 month ago
BobfromMatunuck wrote: 1 month ago We all have to support the team like an organization now. That is the direction college basketball is heading. We cannot fall behind the curve! Trust
An organization sounds like the Boston Celtics. As a fan, how do you support the Celtics other than going to games?????
Totally agree, pro teams don’t ask for donations to pay their players…this is BS. Are we going to hold a bake sale next? Now that these kids will be paid, they are now pros…I’m not paying them. If I wanted to pay players, I’d buy a team (if I had the money…haha). Once again, we have this issue because of all the money in college sports, but they won’t share it and want us, the fans, to pay the athletes so they can keep all the money and not share with them? What’s wrong with this picture? EVERYTHING!
5 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

RIFan wrote: 1 month ago
Totally agree, pro teams don’t ask for donations to pay their players…this is BS. Are we going to hold a bake sale next? Now that these kids will be paid, they are now pros…I’m not paying them. If I wanted to pay players, I’d buy a team (if I had the money…haha). Once again, we have this issue because of all the money in college sports, but they won’t share it and want us, the fans, to pay the athletes so they can keep all the money and not share with them? What’s wrong with this picture? EVERYTHING!
Agree. It's fundamentally flawed. I for one am having a hard time "just accepting" it. And I know a lot of other people are too.
4 x
Mobley was fouled.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Understandably the players want a piece of the pie, but instead of giving it to them they are pushing the problem onto the fans…I call BS. Fix your house, that’s not my job.
5 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

At this point maybe Miranda just want to be close to home. I expect Providence, Bryant and Rhode Island will all kick the tires at least.

If he’s after big name image and likeness dollars we should be out. If he just wants to be close to home it’s worth pursuing IMO.

Agree the whole begging for bucks thing is weird and kinda creepy.
Last edited by hrstrat57 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

And they(some)get a degree. What a freakin mess this has turned into.
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Coaches that were giving testimony this week said that players and families don’t care anymore about what your plans are for developing them and the family atmosphere etc…all they want to know is how much are you going to pay them.
Last edited by RIFan 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Who runs the Ryan Center? And how much money have they given to the collective? Since they are making a profit off of URI Basketball, they should be shelling some dollars out for sure. Focus on that one for starters.
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Getting harder and harder to even root for the Ole State U laundry where this thing is headed.
5 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

RIFan wrote: 1 month ago Understandably the players want a piece of the pie, but instead of giving it to them they are pushing the problem onto the fans…I call BS. Fix your house, that’s not my job.
What's that saying...something about a sucker being born every minute...

We'll see how it all shakes out I guess.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

RIFan wrote: 1 month ago Coaches that were giving testimony this week said that players and families don’t care anymore about what your plans are for developing them and the family atmosphere etc…all they want to know is how much are you going to pay them.
I do think there has been a serious change in culture. Abu occasionally talks about this on X. The money is one thing. But it's also the fact they nearly every kid was the "star" on their aau team. They've been praised their whole life and the idea of developing over the course of a 4 year period is such a foreign concept. So yes that sucks but it's the reality we deal with.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Well, you send Wyc money, so that he can afford better players, I think...
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RIFan wrote: 1 month ago
Dude...no one does bake sales anymore...it's car washes. Car washes are the new bake sale
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Bake sale in the winter, car washes when the weather breaks.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I was thinking this too, I thought the colleges were making too much money and that the student athletes deserved a piece, but in reality , the fans need to pay more? That can’t be sustainable.
0 x
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 month ago I was thinking this too, I thought the colleges were making too much money and that the student athletes deserved a piece, but in reality , the fans need to pay more? That can’t be sustainable.
Exactly...it's not about splitting the gigantic pile of money...at this level, it's about creating a totally new pile of money
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RIFan wrote: 1 month ago Coaches that were giving testimony this week said that players and families don’t care anymore about what your plans are for developing them and the family atmosphere etc…all they want to know is how much are you going to pay them.
So basically just like those same coaches have always been. Weird how all of a sudden that's wrong when the players start doing it.
4 x
Don_Keedick
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Don_Keedick »

Listen, no one really wants to give up their own money. Bottom line is that this is how college basketball is going. If you bleed Keaney blue, you’ll support the collective. That does NOT mean every fan has to or should donate, everyone’s financial situation is different. I am only a very small donor and received a personal thank you from Stone. You just have to support it and not boycott the idea if you want a competitive basketball team. #gorhody https://rhodyexcellence.com/join/
4 x
Ed Cooley is a pervert!
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

adam914 wrote: 1 month ago
So basically just like those same coaches have always been. Weird how all of a sudden that's wrong when the players start doing it.
This kind of mentality is the end of college sports. How can you compare grown men that have proven themselves and earned a JOB to lead a basketball team and program with all the responsibilities that come with that, to a kid who is playing a sport at a college (oh, on a full ride)? MOST successful coaches stay at a college for a long time. Some leave after a relatively short period of time because they have a better offer and opportunity. Hurley left after six years right? Coaches don’t jump around to 2-3-4 schools in 5 years. It’s a joke. But it’s more of a joke to compare the Coach to the collegiate player. I’m tired of this. Let the whole thing burn down until some sensible rules on are put in place.
5 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 1 month ago
This kind of mentality is the end of college sports. How can you compare grown men that have proven themselves and earned a JOB to lead a basketball team and program with all the responsibilities that come with that, to a kid who is playing a sport at a college (oh, on a full ride)? MOST successful coaches stay at a college for a long time. Some leave after a relatively short period of time because they have a better offer and opportunity. Hurley left after six years right? Coaches don’t jump around to 2-3-4 schools in 5 years. It’s a joke. But it’s more of a joke to compare the Coach to the collegiate player. I’m tired of this. Let the whole thing burn down until some sensible rules on are put in place.
Sure, some coaches stay at a college for a long time, as long as they get an extension and more money. And they don't jump around to 2-3-4 schools in 5 years because they have a contract that guarantees they'll get paid or get a hefty buyout. And I'm not saying all players should be getting millions per year like coaches do.

Coaches have an incentive to stay. I'm sure more players would be happy to stay at the same school if given the same guarantees as a coach. Oh and what plays a major factor in how successful a coach is? I'm pretty sure its the players. Remember that saying its not the X's and the O's its the Jimmy's and the Joe's?

I don't think the current system is really the best way to handle all this, and I don't think it'll be the ultimate long term solution either. But I am just glad the players are finally getting a piece of the pie at least until a better system is in place. And I think a lot of these comments coming from coaches complaining about it are very disingenuous. It's the virtue signaling that bothers me.
4 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

Sure, some coaches stay at a college for a long time, as long as they get an extension and more money. And they don't jump around to 2-3-4 schools in 5 years because they have a contract that guarantees they'll get paid or get a hefty buyout. They have an incentive to stay. I'm sure more players would be happy to stay at the same school if given the same guarantees as a coach. Oh and what plays a major factor in how successful a coach is? I'm pretty sure its the players. Remember that saying its not the X's and the O's its the Jimmy's and the Joe's?

I don't think the current system is really the best way to handle all this, and I don't think it'll be the ultimate long term solution either. But I am just glad the players are finally getting a piece of the pie at least for now until a better system is in place. And I think a lot of these comments coming from coaches complaining about it are very disingenuous. It's the virtue signaling that bothers me.
The players deserve to make money, but it can't be a free for all. If there is no continuity then there will be a sport that eventually loses its popularity. And should all college athletes get paid? Or just football and basketball etc? There are so many things that need to be figured out here. And Since when is playing a D1 sport not a privilege? Especially on a high level. It's as if it's a punishment unless they are paid big bucks. This is insane. If they are all about making money and not interested in the college experience, go try and play in the g league or overseas. We need to figure out what exactly a college sport is. Is it semi-pro? Pro? Without college sports most of these guys would be without a basketball career. Like I said, a lot of these guys deserve something, but let's keep it in persecutive before the sport is ruined.
6 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Sure, some coaches stay at a college for a long time, as long as they get an extension and more money. And they don't jump around to 2-3-4 schools in 5 years because they have a contract that guarantees they'll get paid or get a hefty buyout. They have an incentive to stay. I'm sure more players would be happy to stay at the same school if given the same guarantees as a coach. Oh and what plays a major factor in how successful a coach is? I'm pretty sure its the players. Remember that saying its not the X's and the O's its the Jimmy's and the Joe's?

I don't think the current system is really the best way to handle all this, and I don't think it'll be the ultimate long term solution either. But I am just glad the players are finally getting a piece of the pie at least for now until a better system is in place. And I think a lot of these comments coming from coaches complaining about it are very disingenuous. It's the virtue signaling that bothers me.
The players deserve to make money, but it can't be a free for all. If there is no continuity then there will be a sport that eventually loses its popularity. And should all college athletes get paid? Or just football and basketball etc? There are so many things that need to be figured out here. And Since when is playing a D1 sport not a privilege? Especially on a high level. It's as if it's a punishment unless they are paid big bucks. This is insane. If they are all about making money and not interested in the college experience, go try and play in the g league or overseas. We need to figure out what exactly a college sport is. Is it semi-pro? Pro? Without college sports most of these guys would be without a basketball career. Like I said, a lot of these guys deserve something, but let's keep it in persecutive before the sport is ruined.
It honestly sounds like we basically agree for the most part. Like I said, I'm not out here saying every player deserves millions. I do struggle with the transfer idea, just because I have yet to hear a compelling enough reason to convince me that a person shouldn't be allowed to transfer schools without a penalty if they want to. Whether that person is an athlete or not.

I agree that there is a ton to figure out, its complicated, and the current system isn't the answer. I think ultimately it probably needs to be some kind of revenue sharing model or something. So the only athletes getting paid should be ones who are generating revenue for the schools, NCAA, sponsors, networks, etc. So yeah, for the large majority of athletes that's either going to be nothing or very little. I don't think I've ever seen an athlete say it's a punishment unless they are paid big bucks either. So I'm not sure where that's coming from. And if there was more of a legitimate minor league pathway in place, then maybe that would solve some of the issue as well, but right now there's not really.
1 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 month ago
Well, you send Wyc money, so that he can afford better players, I think...
I think the NBA has a better TV deal than the A10 so they don't require much more than that and ticket revenue
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Both college basketball and football have already lost their popularity to a lot of fans. College football had a good system with the 4 team playoff and the importance of the regular season, but now they are moving it to 14 teams. The only thing college basketball still has left is the first weekend of the tournament which is still the best weekend in sports. The rest of college basketball with the transfer portal, the NIL and the conference realignments have made both college basketball and football a lot less interesting and many people you talk with just don’t follow it like they used to.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Yea you can’t compare a grown man who has a career making money supporting a family (in many cases) to a college student athlete who’s 18/19 years old making some extra scratch. Coaches or any employee should be obligated to stay at least 5-6 years, but it’s not comparable to the players.
0 x
GO RAMS