Rhody MBB Scholarship Tracker

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Re: Rhody MBB Scholarship Tracker

Unread post by The Dude »

Committing to Rhode Island is Always Wright! You just can't go wrong!
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

We now do not have a current player on the team from the DC coaching era it is all Miller.
This is the line in the sand for how HIS team does. If they win, half the team will leave at the end of the season, if they lose, half the team will be gone at the end of the season. Just the way it is.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

If we win, the only ones who cannot leave without sitting a year are:

House
Montgomery
Kortright
Weston

Everyone else on the roster can leave if they so choose. So we have at least four people who form a nucleus that will be here both this upcoming year and the following year.

If Always Wright has a "Tyson Wheeler" season, I fully expect him to be playing at Oklahoma, Texas, or K-State next year or some other P5.

Would be interesting to see if Rory and or Foumena would leave. I think Rory is here to stay. Hopefully, Foumena would stay put if he performs or exceeds expectations, but he could leave if he wanted to.

Brown is a JUCO and would have one year left, hopefully he would stay, but no guarantee.

Does anyone really have any idea what is going on with Bilau? But, either way, he would be in a situation similar to Brown.

If we get Buru, same situation as the last two mentioned.

The two frosh, if either one of them explodes onto the scene, or conversely, they don't get enough playing time, could opt to leave.

That's why the free agency transfer portal is the new reality. Because teams that have connections or are just really good at assessing their needs and getting them from the portal are going to have a big advantage going forwards because some people will leave each year. And we will need to get a few from the portal each year. Expect to see 1-2 freshman and 3-4 portal transfers EVERY SINGLE YEAR going forward.

That's 4 to 6 players, every year.

Hopefully the next class is even better than this year's, as our record gets better and our position in the A-10 gets better.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Needless to say, KJ is going to be earning that paycheck. and will also become in big demand as soon as he has the ability to be picked up by another team. So, take advantage of this year and next year, and do everything possible to win early and build some momentum.

edit

So, when some people say, hey, let's give Carey a scholarship and let him chill out at Rhody next year. The smarter play is, let's hold out for a late transfer from the transfer portal that can be a big difference maker going forward and lock him in for at least two seasons.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Needless to say, KJ is going to be earning that paycheck. and will also become in big demand as soon as he has the ability to be picked up by another team. So, take advantage of this year and next year, and do everything possible to win early and build some momentum.

edit

So, when some people say, hey, let's give Carey a scholarship and let him chill out at Rhody next year. The smarter play is, let's hold out for a late transfer from the transfer portal that can be a big difference maker going forward and lock him in for at least two seasons.
Players only have till May 11 to enter the portal.
We should have a good idea by then of who's available.
Of course that doesn't include Jucos or HS/Prep players that we may still be in on.
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Added David Green with 2 years eligibility until we hear news on a potential waiver.

RhodyMBB_Grid.png
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

For all the doom and gloom about who's going to leave or stay in the future - you guys realize that the main reason a lot of these kids leave the smaller schools is because they can't win there and want to experience winning. They want to go to the dance.

Look at FAU. Low level basketball conference. They hadn't been to a tournament in over 2 decades. They hadn't won more than 21 games ever. They won 35 and made a final four and now their whole team is coming back.

If this team puts it together and starts to win and looks like it can contend, you're not going to see any key pieces leave.

Ish left because he wanted 1 chance at winning before he moves on. He didn't see it happening - not to say it can't - but given the info and roster he had at the time, he took the more sure opportunity. I don't blame him for looking for a fresh start.

But if Always has a "Tyson Wheeler" year, then we're probably tournament bound. And if we're tournament bound this year, it's not hard to see that the whole team running it back next season to make a serious run is a very real possibility.

The sky isn't always falling. Tough outlook to have.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Updated with David Fuchs commit.

Open item: David Green eligibility/transfer waiver and years of eligibility left.

RhodyMBB_Grid.png
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

CamsRams wrote: 11 months ago Updated with David Fuchs commit.

Open item: David Green eligibility/transfer waiver and years of eligibility left.

RhodyMBB_Grid.png
Let’s go first I’m hearing about this , is he good ??
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

With currently no scholarship spots open for 24-25, I guess the staff isn't actively pursuing any recruits for the '24 class.

Unless of course they anticipate several departures and are willing to over-sign, which many coaches do.

Still, I think the staff is happy with this roster and is betting on the future with keeping this group together.

If unfortunately, we need to go through another overhaul things will continue to be ugly.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Jersey77 wrote: 11 months ago With currently no scholarship spots open for 24-25, I guess the staff isn't actively pursuing any recruits for the '24 class.

Unless of course they anticipate several departures and are willing to over-sign, which many coaches do.

Still, I think the staff is happy with this roster and is betting on the future with keeping this group together.

If unfortunately, we need to go through another overhaul things will continue to be ugly.
I'd be shocked if they were doing *zero* recruiting of the 2024-25 class, for the reasons you cited. Even in the pre-NIL landscape and with tighter transfer rules, the good Hurley squads would still lose a player or two. Plus, I imagine the staff is going to try to make connections with and offers to 2025-26 recruits, and in the process of doing that you're still going to see and scout 24-25 players, even if you can't really offer them.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

SGreenwell wrote: 11 months ago
Jersey77 wrote: 11 months ago With currently no scholarship spots open for 24-25, I guess the staff isn't actively pursuing any recruits for the '24 class.

I'd be shocked if they were doing *zero* recruiting of the 2024-25 class, for the reasons you cited. Even in the pre-NIL landscape and with tighter transfer rules, the good Hurley squads would still lose a player or two. Plus, I imagine the staff is going to try to make connections with and offers to 2025-26 recruits, and in the process of doing that you're still going to see and scout 24-25 players, even if you can't really offer them.
You're also now recruiting players for the future possibility that they might transfer here. For example, Jalik Dunkley-Distant might decide to go to Syracuse, not get the playing time he expects and he enters the portal. If we recruited him hard, but lost to Syracuse, we already have that connection.
3 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Damn, it’s getting complicated on the recruiting trail.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Also half the juniors we have this year could decide to graduate and go somewhere else or go overseas since they’ll technically be seniors
1 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

SGreenwell wrote: 11 months ago

Yes SG, not saying they stopped recruiting.
Just that they aren't actively pursuing recruits for the '24 class.
I would be surprised if we get any recruits to sign this November or possibly any official visits prior to then.

But obviously overall recruiting never ends for the staff, and we have to maintain our contacts and connections.
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

CamsRams wrote: 11 months ago
That’s awesome. Nice to have some NBA royalty in the seats.
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
PowderBlueButBetter
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by PowderBlueButBetter »

Interesting to see no seniors on the roster. Wonder who is going to step up as the "leader", as Bilau is the only returning upper classman and he wont be on the court to start the season
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I do like our size, balance, and depth (although some a little inexperienced and raw) at each position:

Guards- Kortright (PG/CG), Always (PG/CG), Cam (PG/CG), House (CG), Dubs (CG)
Allen may be an interesting piece to keep an eye on going forward.

Wings- Weston, Zek

Forwards- Rory (SF?/PF), Green (SF/PF), Fuchs (PF)

Centers- Brown, Foumena, Bilau

Archie does have the option of going big or small at times depending on the matchups and flow of the game.
1 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Updated with Ben Hammond commit. Puts us at 14 projected scholarships for next season. Portal making everything fluid.

RhodyMBB_Grid.png
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

CamsRams wrote: 10 months ago Updated with Ben Hammond commit. Puts us at 14 projected scholarships for next season. Portal making everything fluid.

RhodyMBB_Grid.png
They're listing House as a senior on the official site so maybe he's gone after one year.
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Bilau will also be mid 20s. So he may go pro overseas if that’s his desired path.
1 x
- Mr. Rogers
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Updated with Tyonne Farrell commit:
RhodyMBB_Grid.png
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I freakin love the direction of this program, good luck to the rest of the A10 in a couple of years
3 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Updated Scholarship Grid:

-Removed Bilau (graduation/moving back to France)
-Removed Foumena (transfer portal)
Attachments
RhodyMBB_Grid.png
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Was Bilau officially announced or is that an assumption based on holding senior night for him?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 month ago Was Bilau officially announced or is that an assumption based on holding senior night for him?
And he also graduated in December. I'm not sure how that works. So, he's been on the roster as a grad player for a semester, so what does he have left for eligibility? Not sure. Anyway, I think it's a pretty safe assumption.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 month ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 month ago Was Bilau officially announced or is that an assumption based on holding senior night for him?
And he also graduated in December. I'm not sure how that works. So, he's been on the roster as a grad player for a semester, so what does he have left for eligibility? Not sure. Anyway, I think it's a pretty safe assumption.
He has eligibility left, but I got the impression that when Archie wished him well in his future endeavors that he wasn't coming back.
1 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Jersey77 wrote: 1 month ago
He has eligibility left, but I got the impression that when Archie wished him well in his future endeavors that he wasn't coming back.
Yeah - he’s got a year of eligibility left I believe (who knows if more with all the injuries) but word on the street is he was cleared to play late in season but doesn’t want to risk injury again and he’s moving back to France. If that changes, I’ll add him back.

With he and Foumena moving on, that opens the two slots for Ben and Tyonne.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

There will be several more openings before long.

We aren't even to Monday yet lol.
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Updated with Rory to Transfer Portal (not a surprise):
RhodyMBB_Grid.png
0 x
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

Ahh the open scholarship. The largest beacon of hope us Rhody fans have.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Backroads wrote: 1 month ago Ahh the open scholarship. The largest beacon of hope us Rhody fans have.
How many will there be? That's the question.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Get the film study started Arch , need to get better players to fit your system
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

addition by subtraction

tons more dead weight to get rid of for 2024-2025
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Foumena will be a big ‘what if’….
0 x
- Mr. Rogers
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Backroads wrote: 1 month ago Ahh the open scholarship. The largest beacon of hope us Rhody fans have.
Definitely two more

Possibility of 3/4
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Dino611 wrote: 1 month ago
Definitely two more

Possibility of 3/4
Reading those tea leaves?
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Definitely two more

Possibility of 3/4

Hopefully 4….

I have seen enough of this crew
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 month ago

Definitely two more

Possibility of 3/4
Nah but just thinking about it, Hammond isn’t playing behind Ways, and I don’t see Dubsky sniffing the floor at all
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yes I would agree 3 or 4 also total
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Definitely two more

Possibility of 3/4
Nah but just thinking about it, Hammond isn’t playing behind Ways, and I don’t see Dubsky sniffing the floor at all
Dubsky could stay - he shoots at a high enough level to keep around.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rhodylaw wrote: 1 month ago
Dubsky could stay - he shoots at a high enough level to keep around.
If you say xyz player has to or, 'can', stay...to me that sounds like, 'we're not going to get a better player than xyz to come here for next year.'
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Archie has control if he wants someone out they are out.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago Archie has control if he wants someone out they are out.
and I would assume Archie knows, he can get a better player than ___, then ____ is now a free agent.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

OUT !

good riddance to these heartless players who can’t play D
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 month ago OUT !

good riddance to these heartless players who can’t play D
It's not that they can't. It's that they don't want to.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

heartless

bye bye bye
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Updated Scholarship Tracker:

Removed Weston, Brown and Dubsky (transfer portal).
RhodyMBB_Grid.png
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

and 3 more on my "keep" list is gone

my goodness

POS NCAA - absolutely ruined college sports
Last edited by ElmCityRhody 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x