Can Anything Make This Season A Success This Week?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.

What Result Makes Year 2 Successful?

2 Wins - matches Hurley's from year 2, beat two beatable teams, and shows the team didn't completely give up on the season
36%
3 Wins - huge upset of Dayton, A10 semi-final birth, going 4-1 to finish out a year, more wins than Hurley year 2
24%
4 Wins - almost miracle run, 16 wins on the season, lot of momentum, A-10 final appearance for the first time in 6 years
4%
5 Wins - A10 title, NCAA birth, Rhody is back, NCAA or bust, we stan Archie.
12%
Nothing. This season is a total disaster, I am miserable because I made up my mind and I won't enjoy the NCAA appearance because I like misery
24%

Total votes: 25

Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Can Anything Make This Season A Success This Week?

Unread post by Blue Man »

OK so we did the "what do you think will happen" poll, and it's pretty clear that an overwhelming majority of (rational) fans think we are winning 1 or less games this week. Completely understandable and sensible, and easily the most obviously realistic outcome.

But...let's just say for the next 6-7 hours while we can have this debate, is there anything that would buy people back in to the program?

Is there a result this week that will cause you to say the season was a success by rebuild standards?

I'm starting the poll at 2 wins, because that will at least match Hurley's year 2 rebuild total. So I'm starting with my own bias for this poll.

Again, this isn't your prediction for the week, this is what would turn around your opinion of this season and the direction of the team. Essentially your standard for where you think we should be at this point of the rebuild to be "on track."
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: Can Anything Make This Season A Success This Week?

Unread post by section(105) »

I am concerned that a win or two in Brooklyn will somehow create a fog that the team as comprised is really better than the record shows, and even with another couple of wins(Brown, New Hampshire etc) we are exactly on track on rebuild. Not for me, we need more talented players.
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

My bar for a "successful" season is 2 wins this week.

I have a low standard for this team. There's obviously broken pieces but I still stand by the fact that I think there's as much talent on this team as there is anywhere but Dayton in the conference.

The issue is between the collective ears, and whether or not these guys are mature enough to focus and play to their potential.

When the history books are written, if we come out of this season on a positive, winning a couple of games and earning a date with Dayton, I'll be able to comfort myself knowing that between the guys in the locker room and the staff on the bench, they can do something that few URI teams have done (and haven't done in 5 years), which is winning multiple games in the A10 tourney.

Seriously. 2 or more wins in the A10 tourney for URI has happened 9 times. 2019, 2018, 2017, 2010, 2007, 1999, 1997, 1996, 1988. 9 times. We actually have more NCAA tournament appearances (10) than seasons with multiple wins in the A10 tourney. We actually have significantly more one and dones (21) than anything else. We've won 1 game 8 times.

To repeat, it is more likely in our A10 history that URI will make the NCAA tournament than URI will win multiple A10 tournament games.

Meaning. In the previous 41 years of conference membership, 38 tournaments (2 no-qualifies, 1 covid cancellation), we haven't even stayed overnight at the A10 tournament a majority of the time. I think just getting a win based on our history would be a huge bump, but getting 2 is an overwhelming success when you consider all these factors.

Plus, it's my birthday. I mean I ask for an A10 title every year and usually am left despondent, even getting to the doors to walk in the Barclays Center to find out it's cancelled in 2020. I am significantly lowering my birthday wishes to just...don't let the season end today.

So maybe my bar for success has been lowered because the basketball part of me is dead inside. But for year 2? Gimme 2 wins and I'll say we are at least on the right track in our rebuild.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Blue Man wrote: 1 month ago My bar for a "successful" season is 2 wins this week.

I have a low standard for this team. There's obviously broken pieces but I still stand by the fact that I think there's as much talent on this team as there is anywhere but Dayton in the conference.

The issue is between the collective ears, and whether or not these guys are mature enough to focus and play to their potential.

When the history books are written, if we come out of this season on a positive, winning a couple of games and earning a date with Dayton, I'll be able to comfort myself knowing that between the guys in the locker room and the staff on the bench, they can do something that few URI teams have done (and haven't done in 5 years), which is winning multiple games in the A10 tourney.

Seriously. 2 or more wins in the A10 tourney for URI has happened 9 times. 2019, 2018, 2017, 2010, 2007, 1999, 1997, 1996, 1988. 9 times. We actually have more NCAA tournament appearances (10) than seasons with multiple wins in the A10 tourney. We actually have significantly more one and dones (21) than anything else. We've won 1 game 8 times.

To repeat, it is more likely in our A10 history that URI will make the NCAA tournament than URI will win multiple A10 tournament games.

Meaning. In the previous 41 years of conference membership, 38 tournaments (2 no-qualifies, 1 covid cancellation), we haven't even stayed overnight at the A10 tournament a majority of the time. I think just getting a win based on our history would be a huge bump, but getting 2 is an overwhelming success when you consider all these factors.

Plus, it's my birthday. I mean I ask for an A10 title every year and usually am left despondent, even getting to the doors to walk in the Barclays Center to find out it's cancelled in 2020. I am significantly lowering my birthday wishes to just...don't let the season end today.

So maybe my bar for success has been lowered because the basketball part of me is dead inside. But for year 2? Gimme 2 wins and I'll say we are at least on the right track in our rebuild.
Happy B-Day Blue Man.

I don't realistically see anything happening that can make this season by itself a success.

But more important going on a run here along with Fordham's win may at least give the players a little confidence or something to build on going into the off-season.
1 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

HBD BM
U in BKLYN?
Obviously a title and bid would go a long way…

Devils advocate here, say we beat SLU & Duq…
But then get absolutely waxed by 30 in the quarters.
U still gonna look back fondly?

I personally voted for 1 win.
On the Metro North now.

See ya there if u head down
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

winning the a10 tourney = success

the rest = garbage throwaway season
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Winning the A10T would be a freak of nature kind of thing, separate from 'the season', which is a total, unsalvageable disaster.

I'm not going to go with the Nothing option either because I refuse to be miserable.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

This is kind of cheating, but outside of winning the whole fucking thing in Brooklyn I don't think it matters. The state of the rebuild hinges on keeping Fuchs and Estevez and getting Hammond on campus
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

Only if URI wins the A10 tourney.

otherwise, no.
0 x
:lol:
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I voted 3 wins including the upset of Dayton in the quarterfinals

2 or less I can’t see as a successful season as a whole
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I voted 2 wins

It at least matches Hurley and is a 5 win improvement with a whole new team.

So in a since it would mean that we have started a complete and total rebuild with 14 wins and that's a pretty decent start for a rebuild.

If our fanbase can try and look at this season with perspective for once, they can understand that it's as much of a disaster as they think.

There are an infinite amount of examples of programs who have seasons like this only to turn the corner in a huge way the next year. Even here! Many times!

Kinda like...Hurley's second year and I'll point out we also had a win over a lower division program that season in Metro State, which we only won by 3 points lol. The main difference between the two seasons is that team didn't drop a Brown and NH type game, unless you count Detroit. That team was also almost completely healthy and available the entire season, sans Biggie Minnis who played in 21 of 32 games. (Can't remember if that was eligibility or injury) the rest of the team, ifeanyi only missed one game. (Probably just benched)

That season was a mix of younger players and older players. Like this year, some guys that will stay and some that will go. We also have two promising freshmen coming in next year, just like that season.

Beat SLU!
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

The fog is rolling in……
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

BlueMan, not sure for me. If they made a miraculous run and won the Championship, I would be going crazy. But the games I sat through this year would not be compensated by that. NCAA or Bust though!!!!!!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

This season is dead to me.

Apologies to Tiki Barber lol.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

No. This is a lost season. Our major focus should be on the portal and potential changes to roster and staff for next season.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

We have our answer.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I’m giving this season a D , thoughts ?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Nope
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 1 month ago I’m giving this season a D , thoughts ?
Reef, there is no way this season was anything but a failure. I left the last home game at the under 8 in the first half. It was an empty arena. This season was the worst.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

reef wrote: 1 month ago I’m giving this season a D , thoughts ?
Wow, Reef, you're an easy grader. Season was a total failure.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The only success this season had, was that it's over.

Today was a mercy killing.

I'm not even going to get excited about anybody the staff brings in.

Just about all were overated.
2 x
TonyCrisp
Zach "1 and Done" Marbury

Unread post by TonyCrisp »

David Fuchs could be a good player if he he didn’t play for the opposing team half the game with all his turnovers and mishandling, HES NOT A D1 PLAYAH AHCHIEE!!!

Estevez- GROW UP! no seriously bro what are you like 15? put some meat on, gain a couple inches STUD!
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man, you may want to stop doing these polls, it is bad Mojo.
They aren't ending well, just kidding but not really.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Ok I changed to D- I can’t give total F we did start conf 3-0 and won 3 more games
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

reef wrote: 1 month ago Ok I changed to D- I can’t give total F we did start conf 3-0 and won 3 more games
We won two more games.

Nobody should count the JWU game.

It doesn’t even factor into the NET.
0 x
Go Rhody
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

The fog has cleared, clear sailing and all ahead full speed to the off season. Back up the truck.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 month ago
reef wrote: 1 month ago Ok I changed to D- I can’t give total F we did start conf 3-0 and won 3 more games
We won two more games.

Nobody should count the JWU game.

It doesn’t even factor into the NET.
two more games and a much easier schedule..
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

With the coach hire/ other investments, finishing sub 5 hundo and in the bottom tier of the A10, and season ticket holders unable to even give away tickets pretty much all year...the season was an F all the way around... Head coach, players, Yorke, other coaches, fans, sponsors, administrators, the weather, parking, security, ....just an all around F. Rhody and the cheerleaders get A+s for sticking it out. I mean, I can see how Rhody does it, but it's impressive that the cheerleaders expressions don't change whether Rhody is up 20 or down 20.

Was great to see folks at games and I fully expect the team and some of the fans to bounce back next year...at least until we see the scrimmage...
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We will see just how much more Thorr and Parlange are willing to take.

The potential NIL situation seems to me to be the only way they keep Archie around for much longer.

But it's still up to the coach to take advantage of it by bringing in a major upgrade in talent.

Imo Archie needs to be on the clock to get this turned around and SOON.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Like I said in the game thread y’all are sure you wanna roll this train wreck out again?

Not sure about that. We will know in short order if the big time boosters agree with forum members.

This has Parlange attention for sure. Our coach in waiting is just up the street IMO. How long will he wait?

Nothing is out of the question as far as I’m concerned. I’ll likely support the program no matter what but this must get fixed now! Empty seats in our biggest real estate asset and interest in the program dropping like a rock is unsustainable. The conversations will not be pleasant.

Have a nice summer folks!

Go Rhody
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 month ago Like I said in the game thread y’all are sure you wanna roll this train wreck out again?

Not sure about that. We will know in short order if the big time boosters agree with forum members.

This has Parlange attention for sure. Our coach in waiting is just up the street IMO. How long will he wait?

Nothing is out of the question as far as I’m concerned. I’ll likely support the program no matter what but this must get fixed now! Empty seats in our biggest real estate asset and interest in the program dropping like a rock is unsustainable. The conversations will not be pleasant.

Go Rhody
who is the coach in waiting up the street?
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 month ago
hrstrat57 wrote: 1 month ago Like I said in the game thread y’all are sure you wanna roll this train wreck out again?

Go Rhody
who is the coach in waiting up the street?
Tyson
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Mike Martin
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

You know who actually may be a good coach for us down the road ? Antonio Reynolds Dean already been a top assistant @ Clemson and UGA , thoughts ?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 1 month ago You know who actually may be a good coach for us down the road ? Antonio Reynolds Dean already been a top assistant @ Clemson and UGA , thoughts ?
The names being tossed about are fun to read here. Fine. I am more concerned who is going to be the GM, Head of the Scouting Dept, ya know to prepare and act in the speed dating transfer portal thing.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodyg
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodyg »

Fire Miller, Hire Tyson Wheeler.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I know Archie's contract retension bonuses are in the budget, but going forward maybe the next coach's contract should include more incentive based bonuses rather than guaranteed money.

Right now he's getting paid handsomely for doing what exactly?

I know URI had to do this to get him here.

At least an extension isnt going to happen until and unless a huge turnaround occurs.

And that's after year 4. No way he gets one until then. And that's a huge IF.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago I know Archie's contract retension bonuses are in the budget, but going forward maybe the next coach's contract should include more incentive based bonuses rather than guaranteed money.

At least an extension isnt going to happen until and unless a huge turnaround occurs.

Unfortunately Bone, you will not get a quality proven coach without substantial guaranteed money.
Archie will probably be here at least 4 years, so let's see what happens.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Moved this post....wrong thread.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 month ago
rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago I know Archie's contract retension bonuses are in the budget, but going forward maybe the next coach's contract should include more incentive based bonuses rather than guaranteed money.

Unfortunately Bone, you will not get a quality proven coach without substantial guaranteed money.
Archie will probably be here at least 4 years, so let's see what happens.
This is where I am @ also , we are slightly behind schedule right now but if things play out right Arch very well can be the long term answer for us
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Looking at the prediction contest I’d say the prevailing opinion of the KB forum is we are WAY behind schedule.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Either that are most of us are not good prognosticators
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

reef wrote: 1 month ago Either that are most of us are not good prognosticators
Yeah I certainly wasn’t (former contest winner)
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 1 month ago Either that or And most of us are not good prognosticators
fify
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

That's the portal for you. We knew even less about these players than the coaching staff did.
0 x