Games of Interest - 2023-2024 MBB

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: Games of Interest - 2023-2024 MBB

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

good times for JMU hoops. Up 15 at the start of the second for a bid. Nice article from the JMU sports news crew:

https://jmusportsnews.com/2024/03/04/20 ... nce%202013.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Good for JMU they deserve it !
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 month ago good times for JMU hoops. Up 15 at the start of the second for a bid. Nice article from the JMU sports news crew:

https://jmusportsnews.com/2024/03/04/20 ... nce%202013.
Final Record 29-3

NET 55

JMU Lost to Southern Mississippi and both games with Appalachian State

Good to see them win the Championship outright
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

St Mary’s beats Gonzaga to win WCC

Gonzaga (25-7) had won four WCC championships in a row and 10 of 11, with Saint Mary's in 2019 the one year the Bulldogs didn't claim the trophy.

The Gaels (26-7) earned the conference's automatic bid for the NCAA tournament, but both sides were certain to make the 68-team field even before tipoff.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ayo-Faleye's 19 help Vermont knock off New Hampshire 66-59 in America East Conference tourney semis

BURLINGTON, Vt. -- — Ileri Ayo-Faleye had 19 points in top-seeded Vermont's 66-59 victory over fourth-seeded New Hampshire on Tuesday night in the America East Conference Tournament semifinals.

The Catamounts host the championship game on Saturday morning, facing second-seeded UMass Lowell.

Ayo-Faleye had eight rebounds for the Catamounts (27-6).

He was 6-7 FG, 2-2 3P, 5-6 FT for 19 efficient points

How come we can’t get players like that?
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

ramster wrote: 1 month ago Ayo-Faleye's 19 help Vermont knock off New Hampshire 66-59 in America East Conference tourney semis

BURLINGTON, Vt. -- — Ileri Ayo-Faleye had 19 points in top-seeded Vermont's 66-59 victory over fourth-seeded New Hampshire on Tuesday night in the America East Conference Tournament semifinals.

The Catamounts host the championship game on Saturday morning, facing second-seeded UMass Lowell.

Yeah it's almost like if you take a player who was recruited to the A10 and you move them to a bottom rung mid major conference they put up points.

And again, his shooting percentage in a shitty conference would be 13th on our roster.

I'd bet if URI dropped to the America East all our players would look a lot better.

But then we'd have to read the complaints about how our schedule is weak.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 1 month ago Ayo-Faleye's 19 help Vermont knock off New Hampshire 66-59 in America East Conference tourney semis

How come we can't get low major players who produce?

Funny, we have those in House, Kortright, Zek.

How'd that work out?
1 x
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Need P5 players (who have played). Weston technically is, but was injured at Seton Hall.
0 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 1 month ago

Yeah it's almost like if you take a player who was recruited to the A10 and you move them to a bottom rung mid major conference they put up points.

And again, his shooting percentage in a shitty conference would be 13th on our roster.

I'd bet if URI dropped to the America East all our players would look a lot better.

It’s just a joke line that’s been used here forever
“Why can’t we fat players like that?”

Relax or go do another poll

Fwiw “our players” list at home to New Hampshire.

And I root for most every player who leaves URI and there are a lot of them) and most don’t do very well

But I love seeing a RI Native like Sebastian Thomas do well like he has, and Ayo-Faleye, and Makhi Michell has had some good games this year for an Arkansas team that has struggled (Cox couldn’t d en figure out which Mitchell was the better player instead playing Makhel ahead of Mahki - but the Arkansas coach could see it immediately and even played one at a time and even let go the other twin) we just complain while good coaches and even average coaches act.

And Leggett I’m proud of for being 6th man of the year in the ACC and helping lead Pittsburgh to a 4th place finish in the ACC with a 4-seed and possible NCAA invite

And Jacob Toppin who some here said he would only get splinters on the Kentucky bench, would never play there, was making a big mistake and said don’t let the door hit you on your way out. I knew 1st hand his family who attended every game at URI and most road games, thought he should be getting more playing time and I agreed and battled that Cox defender (who posted under 2 names) but he defended Cox on Toppin

How about people defended Cox for years with the excuse Hurley left Cox in bad shape. Sure. Cox had 3 NBA players. Jeff Dowtin who he moved from PG to wing saying Jeff’s future prospects for the NBA were not as a PG, Tyrese Martin drafted by the Atlanta Hawks and an NBA player who left for UCONN to develop his game better and Jacob Toppin now with the NY Knicks who also left to develop his game better. Both left knowing they would sit out a year.

And I said most all former URI players I root for. I don’t root for the worst defensive player I’ve ever seen at URI - Brayon Freeman. Low mark for Miller and staff bringing him in, High, High mark for how Miller handled him and dismissed him. 4 games at Coastal Carolina and I think 7 turnovers in his last game after which he never saw the floor again.
Mistakes happen and correcting those mistakes quickly is a huge plus. Feel free to tell that to Rhody Vault regarding Freeman.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think it ends for Fordham today , VCU should take care of business
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

ramster wrote: 1 month ago
Blue Man wrote: 1 month ago

It’s just a joke line that’s been used here forever
“Why can’t we fat players like that?”

Relax or go do another poll

Fwiw “our players” list at home to New Hampshire.

And I root for most every player who leaves URI and there are a lot of them) and most don’t do very well

But I love seeing a RI Native like Sebastian Thomas do well like he has, and Ayo-Faleye, and Makhi Michell has had some good games this year for an Arkansas team that has struggled (Cox couldn’t d en figure out which Mitchell was the better player instead playing Makhel ahead of Mahki - but the Arkansas coach could see it immediately and even played one at a time and even let go the other twin) we just complain while good coaches and even average coaches act.

And Leggett I’m proud of for being 6th man of the year in the ACC and helping lead Pittsburgh to a 4th place finish in the ACC with a 4-seed and possible NCAA invite

And Jacob Toppin who some here said he would only get splinters on the Kentucky bench, would never play there, was making a big mistake and said don’t let the door hit you on your way out. I knew 1st hand his family who attended every game at URI and most road games, thought he should be getting more playing time and I agreed and battled that Cox defender (who posted under 2 names) but he defended Cox on Toppin

How about people defended Cox for years with the excuse Hurley left Cox in bad shape. Sure. Cox had 3 NBA players. Jeff Dowtin who he moved from PG to wing saying Jeff’s future prospects for the NBA were not as a PG, Tyrese Martin drafted by the Atlanta Hawks and an NBA player who left for UCONN to develop his game better and Jacob Toppin now with the NY Knicks who also left to develop his game better. Both left knowing they would sit out a year.

And I said most all former URI players I root for. I don’t root for the worst defensive player I’ve ever seen at URI - Brayon Freeman. Low mark for Miller and staff bringing him in, High, High mark for how Miller handled him and dismissed him. 4 games at Coastal Carolina and I think 7 turnovers in his last game after which he never saw the floor again.
Mistakes happen and correcting those mistakes quickly is a huge plus. Feel free to tell that to Rhody Vault regarding Freeman.
I've become the poll guy :lol: :lol: :lol:

I get the joke. Unfortunately some people that read this board don't and would think that a player who left here and did well at a lower level is a poor reflection on URI instead of a reflection that a player is playing at a level appropriate to his skill level.

I certainly share your sentiment in rooting for guys who played here - especially guys like Ish - and didn't leave in a negative way. Brayon being the latter.

Rhody Vault is a sack of garbage and his opinions are URI are equal with the access he has to our head coach - which is nothing. He sucks. He can stay in Canada and root for Bryant.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Fordham vs VCU was a good game to the last minute

Frank Martin and his team are here watching 5-seed VCU vs 12-Seed Fordham as UMass plays the winner Thursday at 2pm

VCU pulls it out. Good DT shooting by VCU In final minutes contributed to the win.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Great game. Came down to the last shot and LaSalle just missed a 3P
IMG_2658.jpeg
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 1 month ago Great game. Came down to the last shot and LaSalle just missed a 3P

IMG_2658.jpeg
Damn I was pulling for LaSalle there
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

he shall be called, Ill AF
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

4 Teams will play their 1st game Thursday in the Quarterfinals
Some very close point spread

Last year the Top 4 Seeds all won and moved on to the Semi-Finals on Saturday. Dayton, VCU, Fordham and St Louis.

This year the teams seem very closely matched.

Great matchups with St Joseph’s vs Richmond, VCU vs UMass and St Bonaventure vs Loyola. Duquesne is very capable of giving Dayton a tough game in the nightcap.

Great balance in the A10 this year makes for a great tournament.
IMG_2660.jpeg
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Dumbass DePaul coach wastes a foul to give and Nova hits a game winning 3 just awful
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

It could be worse…we could be Georgetown fans.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

I am glad Villanva won. Helps keep the Criars on the bad side of the bubble.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Blue Man wrote: 1 month ago It could be worse…we could be Georgetown fans.
Enjoy your 9-23 record Coach Cooley and your 6 M pay check
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 1 month ago
Blue Man wrote: 1 month ago It could be worse…we could be Georgetown fans.
Enjoy your 9-23 record Coach Cooley and your 6 M pay check
Cooley has commitments from ESPN #54 Thomas Sorber and from ESPN #75 Kayvaun Mulready for the 2024 Class.

UConn has #31 and #85
Creighton has #55 and #90
Villanova has #97 and #100

St John’s has #69
Marquette has #77

PC, Butler, Xavier, DePaul and Seton Hall with none

Cooley and Georgetown will be fine. Two highly regarded freshmen and I’m guessing he does well with Portapalooza.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Kansas loses to Cincinnati by 20 tonight

Kansas has now lost 4 of last 5 games and 3 of those 4 losses have been to teams that were NOT in the Big 12 last year:

Lost to BYU from WCC by 8 at home
Lost to Houston from AAC by 30 at Houston
Lost to Cincinnati from AAC by 20 in Kansas City in Big 12 Tournament
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 1 month ago Kansas loses to Cincinnati by 20 tonight

Kansas has now lost 4 of last 5 games and 3 of those 4 losses have been to teams that were NOT in the Big 12 last year:

Lost to BYU from WCC by 8 at home
Lost to Houston from AAC by 30 at Houston
Lost to Cincinnati from AAC by 20 in Kansas City in Big 12 Tournament
Yes Ramster they are playing terrible and I hope they are 1 and done in the dance
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Kansas’ two All Americans were out last night, one of them, McCullar, has been hurt for about a month missing some games.
0 x
Go Rhody
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote: 1 month ago 4 Teams will play their 1st game Thursday in the Quarterfinals

Last year the Top 4 Seeds all won and moved on to the Semi-Finals on Saturday. Dayton, VCU, Fordham and St Louis.

Great matchups with St Joseph’s vs Richmond, VCU vs UMass and St Bonaventure vs Loyola. Duquesne is very capable of giving Dayton a tough game in the nightcap.

IMG_2660.jpeg

All eight A-10 teams left have 20 or more wins and are within the NET top 100 ranks. George Mason, which failed to advance to the quarters also has these metrics.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 1 month ago
ramster wrote: 1 month ago 4 Teams will play their 1st game Thursday in the Quarterfinals

IMG_2660.jpeg

All eight A-10 teams left have 20 or more wins and are within the NET top 100 ranks. George Mason, which failed to advance to the quarters also has these metrics.
Correct

And all 8 except for Dayton are closely ranked by NET
Today will be very interesting
IMG_2666.jpeg
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 month ago Kansas’ two All Americans were out last night, one of them, McCullar, has been hurt for about a month missing some games.
Yep. Bill Self announced the teo would be out the Big 12 Tournament on Monday. Also said both would return for NCAA

Those guys missing were built into the Cincinnati favored by 2.5 points. Very impressive for Cincinnati to blow out KU by 20. Easy money for those who took them.

https://theathletic.com/5334613/2024/03 ... jury-news/#
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Spiders in troubleee
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Looks like St. Joe's just might pull this off...
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Go Duquesne tonight , rooting for 2 A10 teams to dance and 1 bid stealer
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

adam914 wrote: 1 month ago Looks like St. Joe's just might pull this off...
Yep they showed why they massively underachieved in the regulat season.

I think they'd do better in the tourny than Richmond, so I like the upset.

Idk why, but I feel Richmond was the least impressive A10 regular season champ ever lol not shocked at all they are done.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 month ago
adam914 wrote: 1 month ago Looks like St. Joe's just might pull this off...
Yep they showed why they massively underachieved in the regulat season.

I think they'd do better in the tourny than Richmond, so I like the upset.

Idk why, but I feel Richmond was the least impressive A10 regular season champ ever lol not shocked at all they are done.
Agree , and then losing today not that big of a surprise
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

St John’s beats Seton Hall by 19. SJU was favored by 3.5
Pitino has his team on a roll

6 straight wins

Pitino vs Hurley Friday 5:30pm

Pitino would be the first head coach to lead six schools to the NCAA Tournament if St. John's gets in.
Last edited by ramster 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

VCU dispatches UMass 73-59. Probably better for the A-10 that a team which will continue to be a league member advances.

This was probably the closest a men's conference tournament will be to Amherst for a very long time. The last A-10 tournament for UMass next year is in DC. The MAC only has the top 8 teams and has its tournament in the midwest where nearly all members but UMass are located. It has been in Cleveland in most recent years which would be some 575 miles from Amherst if it continues to be the host.
Last edited by RF1 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Watching Loyola , wow that team is schooled defensively

Drew Valentine not yet 33 years old won’t be there long
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 1 month ago VCU dispatches UMass 73-59. Probably better for the A-10 that a team which will continue to be a league member advances.

This was probably the closest a men's conference tournament will be to Amherst for a very long time. The last A-10 tournament for UMass next year is in DC. The MAC only has the top 8 teams and has its tournament in the midwest where nearly all but UMass are located. It has been in Cleveland in most recent years which would be some 575 miles from Amherst if it continues to be the host.
Where are the future A10 Tournaments after next year’s Washington DC??
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

ramster wrote: 1 month ago St John’s beats Seton Hall by 19. SJU was favored by 3.5

6 straight wins

Pitino would be the first head coach to lead six schools to the NCAA Tournament if St. John's gets in.

GREAT GREAT COACH
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Loyola choking here ! Haven’t scored in 6 minutes!
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 month ago
ramster wrote: 1 month ago St John’s beats Seton Hall by 19. SJU was favored by 3.5

6 straight wins

GREAT GREAT COACH
Yup.

And to think some people didn’t want him because they stood on their stupid moral high ground.
0 x
Go Rhody
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

This Loyola-Bonny game is crazy.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Bonnies!

Last 5 teams in the A10 tourney are the Top 5 teams in the preseason poll.

Seems like the coaches (or whoever voted) nailed it.
0 x
Go Rhody
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Heartbreaker for Loyola. They overachieved though I would say.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Crazy how many shots it seemed like were halfway down and rolled out for Loyola. Great game though!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

adam914 wrote: 1 month ago Crazy how many shots it seemed like were halfway down and rolled out for Loyola. Great game though!
Yeah I noticed that too especially the game winner with 4 secs in regulation

Loyola sucks offensively though , can’t not score in the last 6 minutes of regulation to blow 11 point lead
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

2nd half coming up
IMG_2678.jpeg
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

6 straight wins

If only we could get guys like that here
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

These god damn Providence College Friars , I’m absolutely livid !
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

When you have the best player on the floor almost every single night you can win a lot of games. Carter is having a generational type season. A true hoopers hooper.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 month ago When you have the best player on the floor almost every single night you can win a lot of games. Carter is having a generational type season. A true hoopers hooper.
Creighton is also incredibly soft. No depth, very good top 3 players, Ashworth is alright, then trash.

Kalkbrenner has to be the most overrated defender around as well.
Last edited by Rhody15 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Seems a game of interest that Duquesne has a decent shot vs Dayton...up 6 under 4
0 x