'23 F David Fuchs (URI)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: '23 F David Fuchs (URI)

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Jersey77 wrote: 10 months ago
reef wrote: 10 months ago
Mongo wrote: 10 months ago Watching his tapes, he has skills that are so different than any big man on the roster. His fade away jumper is beautiful and his 3pt shot is very solid. He can finish at the rim better than anyone we had last season and his defense looks solid. I think Fuchs is going to be a special player.
This is the guy I am most excited about for this season
I am going to reserve judgement until I see him on the court performing against our competition.

I remember all too well about all the hype surrounding JH regarding his size, physical ability, and offensive skills.
Many here thought he was going to come in and immediately dominate.
Same can be said about Alex but to a much lesser extent, both had been consensus 4* recruits.

I am pumping the brakes a little on him for now, but yeah I hope Archie is right and he is an immediate impact player.
Not everyone was excited about Jermaine Harris' physical ability. I remember talking to Don Kaull before Jermaine had played a game here. Don saw him practice and said, 'I don't know what all the hype is about, The guy can't jump'.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 10 months ago

I am going to reserve judgement until I see him on the court performing against our competition.

I remember all too well about all the hype surrounding JH regarding his size, physical ability, and offensive skills.
Same can be said about Alex but to a much lesser extent, both had been consensus 4* recruits.

I am pumping the brakes a little on him for now, but yeah I hope Archie is right and he is an immediate impact player.
Not everyone was excited about Jermaine Harris' physical ability. I remember talking to Don Kaull before Jermaine had played a game here. Don saw him practice and said, 'I don't know what all the hype is about, The guy can't jump'.
By far the majority was, most felt he would be a game changer.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

One positive thing I think David Cox did was, he changed the culture of getting bigs into this program.

He had Abou Ousmane signed, days before he signed the Mitchell twins, after which Ousmane bailed because he saw a traffic jam at his position.

He got Samb. And he just started to turn the tide from a team that had real difficulties getting big men to one that now seems to get it's fair share of them. Of course, Archie Miller and Kenny Johnson also play a huge role in that, as well.

The year the Mitchells were going to play, was the first time in my memory of following the program since the late 80's, of talk of the frontcourt leading the team instead of the backcourt. It was not something you were used to hearing, associated with URI basketball. The only exception to that being the one Lamar Odom year, when we had Lamar, Luther Clay, ARD, and also David Arigbabu, before he left mid-season to go back to Germany.

In any case, Harris was prior to the modern trend, which would have been a time when URI fans got giddy and lightheaded any time we got a big man, nevermind a 4* rated one. so that kind of reaction is understandable.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

BB78, you even started the thread on Jermaine Harris and patted yourself on the back when he committed. All good :)
There was 17 pages on him already when he did commit.
The only negative posts was the concern he was going to Xavier, when we were the 2 finalists.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

BB78, you even started the thread on Jermaine Harris and patted yourself on the back when he committed. All good :)
The only negative posts was the concern he was going to Xavier, when we were the 2 finalists.
I didn't say that I wasn't excited. I said that Don wasn't excited.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 9 months ago

I didn't say that I wasn't excited. I said that Don wasn't excited.
You know I am just kidding and having fun with it.

Don may have been the only one then.
There was plenty of video on him, don't recall seeing any negativity on him at the time.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

If you believe in Archie's ability to identify talent and project the type of impact a player can make, then you should be very excited for Fuchs. That's why I am. It's not like Archie is praising all his players like he has Fuchs. Yes, as some have said, his highlight tape looks great, but so have many players. But since Archie has nothing but great things to say about this kid, I expect him to have an important role this year.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 9 months ago If you believe in Archie's ability to identify talent and project the type of impact a player can make, then you should be very excited for Fuchs. That's why I am. It's not like Archie is praising all his players like he has Fuchs. Yes, as some have said, his highlight tape looks great, but so have many players. But since Archie has nothing but great things to say about this kid, I expect him to have an important role this year.
Yeah, I am excited about Fuchs and glad we signed him, but as I said still pumping the brakes on his immediate impact for now. Also, as I posted earlier, I hope Archie is right about him.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Fuchs was playing behind borderline NBA talent like Bruno C as an 18 year old

My bold prediction is he will be no worse than our 2nd best player this year
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 9 months ago Fuchs was playing behind borderline NBA talent like Bruno C as an 18 year old

Really no worse than our 2nd best player?
If he is, that may not bode well for us.

Please pass the Limoncello on these predictions for Fuchs.

The A10 has brought in many overseas players this season and some of the fans have lofty expectations for them.
Fuchs was more under-the-radar and less recruited than several of the others.
Like I said, for me I have more of a wait and see attitude.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That’s why it’s a bold prediction, those aren’t supposed to hit lol
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 9 months ago That’s why it’s a bold prediction, those aren’t supposed to hit lol
Very bold Reef. :)
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Think Big

We Do
🐏🐏🐏
3 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Jersey77 wrote: 9 months ago
reef wrote: 9 months ago Fuchs was playing behind borderline NBA talent like Bruno C as an 18 year old

The A10 has brought in many overseas players this season and some of the fans have lofty expectations for them.
I mean, it's not like people were predicting this when he signed. Most of us felt he was nothing more than a project at best. I didn't have any expectations. But when your head coach says he could be one of the best freshmen in the conference multiple times, why wouldn't people have higher expectations? Now I don't think he will be our second-best player, but I think he could be one of the better freshmen in the conference by A10 play. It's not like Archie to overhype his players.

After one bad year, I think people forget that Archie is a hell of a coach and has a strong track record of landing and developing talent. It is possible that some of our guys could hit, and we win more games than people think!
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Good for Reef!

Rhody basketball and KB would be boring without a healthy portion of fanatics - and I enjoy thoughtful discussion.

Screw disappointment. I am a big boy and can handle disappointment. I’ll survive.

Let’s go Fuchs!

Carry on fanatics!

Let’s gooooooooooo
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

reef wrote: 9 months ago That’s why it’s a bold prediction, those aren’t supposed to hit lol
Very bold Reef. :)
Not bold at all considering his pedigree.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 9 months ago

I mean, it's not like people were predicting this when he signed. Most of us felt he was nothing more than a project at best. I didn't have any expectations. But when your head coach says he could be one of the best freshmen in the conference multiple times, why wouldn't people have higher expectations? Now I don't think he will be our second-best player, but I think he could be one of the better freshmen in the conference by A10 play. It's not like Archie to overhype his players.

After one bad year, I think people forget that Archie is a hell of a coach and has a strong track record of landing and developing talent. It is possible that some of our guys could hit, and we win more games than people think!
Not saying it isn't possible that he can be one of the more impactful freshmen in the conference.
He is a little older and certainly has a strong body along with the athletic skills, so yeah maybe.
Although the same might be said of several other Euro bigs or high-profile rookies coming into the conference.

We may have a better idea once we get closer and some of the insiders like Rothstein, Goodman, Zags, and others have the opportunity to visit many of the programs and can make some objective comparisons.

Like I keep saying, I do trust Archie and the staff and feel like we are in good hands.
But that doesn't mean this season we won't have our struggles with a brand-new collection of players.

I am just trying to stay grounded until I see how this group of players perform together.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Fair or not, Euro players used to have a rep of being skilled but soft. Fuchs doesn’t look soft.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Looked like from the practice video Fuchs has a nice little touch on his jumper from the free throw line

Arch sounds high on him so hopeful he produces early for us
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Not saying it isn't possible that he can be one of the more impactful freshmen in the conference.
He is a little older and certainly has a strong body along with the athletic skills, so yeah maybe.
Although the same might be said of several other Euro bigs or high-profile rookies coming into the conference.

We may have a better idea once we get closer and some of the insiders like Rothstein, Goodman, Zags, and others have the opportunity to visit many of the programs and can make some objective comparisons.

Like I keep saying, I do trust Archie and the staff and feel like we are in good hands.
But that doesn't mean this season we won't have our struggles with a brand-new collection of players.

I am just trying to stay grounded until I see how this group of players perform together.
Jersey, I get ya.

If we all thought the same way here then KB wouldn’t hold my interest. I am sure others here think so as well.

Being a fan is like riding a rollercoaster - it has its peaks and valleys and can make you nauseas sometimes but I would still go for the ride when I was able.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 9 months ago

Jersey, I get ya.

If we all thought the same way here then KB wouldn’t hold my interest. I am sure others here think so as well.

Being a fan is like riding a rollercoaster - it has its peaks and valleys and can make you nauseas sometimes but I would still go for the ride when I was able.
Oh I am too.
Just ask my wife, she thinks I am obsessed about Rhody basketball, on the computer and dragging her all over to games.
She thought it was easier before I was retired, she's probably right. :)

Still don't want to get my hopes up too high and then be disappointed again.

The other thing is, I feel this conference is much better than most others think.
Maybe no real great teams but plenty of very good ones.
0 x
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

Rhody74 wrote: 9 months ago Fair or not, Euro players used to have a rep of being skilled but soft. Fuchs doesn’t look soft.
I agree. I took some criticism way back when discussing Alex. I thought his competition in France was probably soft. But I think David
is playing against Pros. $$$ When dinner is involved, I would think play gets more aggressive. I don't know his skill level, but I think he will be ready for some contact.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Once Bilat comes back him Fuchs and Tyson should be crushing it on the glass
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 9 months ago Once Bilat comes back him Fuchs and Tyson should be crushing it on the glass
Don't forget big Foumena!

I'm so excited to see how the frontcourt turns out. I definitely have the most confidence in them and except that group to be the biggest reason we improve significantly.

Rolling with Tchikou, Samb and Rory after Bilau got hurt was just a mess. It's going to be night and day.

I dont see a scenario where Fuchs, Bilau, Brown and Fou aren't vastly superior upgrades to what we got last year.

It pretty much guarantees our team is going to be much more formidable because that group just being average will make us significantly better.

Fuchs won a professional title in Germany is going to work out here all summer and fall. Archie isn't the type of guy to blow smoke up anyone's ass. He's literally already had double digit scoring nights in a professional league against grown men/former power 6 all conference frontcourt players. There is no way he is struggling in today's iteration of the A-10 lol

Bilau was way better than Samb and Tchikou. High basketball IQ, post moves and a nice jump shot at 6'10

Brown is a third year player. Mature, big, physical, athletic and rebounds.

Foumena was supposedly the best big on the team last year. How many 6'11 230+ athletic big men struggle in the A-10? Can't think of any.

Stewart is older, better physically and will get some valuable experience playing for Great Britain.

I LOVE how Archie has constructed the roster. Gone are the days where we rely on just two 6'7/6'8 guys. Yes you want to be as positionless as possible, but having size is as valuable as ever.

We are as big if not bigger than everyone in the A-10 in the frontcourt and we have Green, Zek, House and Kortright all between 6'3 and 6'7 that can guard multiple positions.

We have big athletic guards (they need to make shots) and we have size down low. We already look like a P6 team.
5 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

PRT bringing the optimism heat!

Go Rhody!
3 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

hrstrat57 wrote: 9 months ago PRT bringing the optimism heat!

Go Rhody!
I ain't Fuchin around!
3 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 9 months ago

Go Rhody!
I ain't Fuchin around!
Hopefully you’re Wright here
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Go Rhody!
I ain't Fuchin around!
Fuch n A!
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Keep it going, PRT! I am getting pumped!
1 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

I think you're on to something PRT . I think a lot of posters are gun shy after last season's debacle . Injuries really hurt last season , so a real key for this upcoming season is to STAY HEALTHY . They seem to have some good pieces up and down the roster if they can stay on the court. I'm with ya PRT .
They should be night and day better .
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

reef wrote: 9 months ago Once Bilat comes back him Fuchs and Tyson should be crushing it on the glass
Don't forget big Foumena!

I'm so excited to see how the frontcourt turns out. I definitely have the most confidence in them and except that group to be the biggest reason we improve significantly.

Rolling with Tchikou, Samb and Rory after Bilau got hurt was just a mess. It's going to be night and day.

I dont see a scenario where Fuchs, Bilau, Brown and Fou aren't vastly superior upgrades to what we got last year.

It pretty much guarantees our team is going to be much more formidable because that group just being average will make us significantly better.

Fuchs won a professional title in Germany is going to work out here all summer and fall. Archie isn't the type of guy to blow smoke up anyone's ass. He's literally already had double digit scoring nights in a professional league against grown men/former power 6 all conference frontcourt players. There is no way he is struggling in today's iteration of the A-10 lol

Bilau was way better than Samb and Tchikou. High basketball IQ, post moves and a nice jump shot at 6'10

Brown is a third year player. Mature, big, physical, athletic and rebounds.

Foumena was supposedly the best big on the team last year. How many 6'11 230+ athletic big men struggle in the A-10? Can't think of any.

Stewart is older, better physically and will get some valuable experience playing for Great Britain.

I LOVE how Archie has constructed the roster. Gone are the days where we rely on just two 6'7/6'8 guys. Yes you want to be as positionless as possible, but having size is as valuable as ever.

We are as big if not bigger than everyone in the A-10 in the frontcourt and we have Green, Zek, House and Kortright all between 6'3 and 6'7 that can guard multiple positions.

We have big athletic guards (they need to make shots) and we have size down low. We already look like a P6 team.
Well stated PRT , I wish I could find something to disagree with here but I can’t
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Ramfan22 wrote: 9 months ago

Go Rhody!
I ain't Fuchin around!
Hopefully you’re Wright here
Always.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

luke wrote: 9 months ago I think you're on to something PRT . I think a lot of posters are gun shy after last season's debacle . Injuries really hurt last season , so a real key for this upcoming season is to STAY HEALTHY . They seem to have some good pieces up and down the roster if they can stay on the court. I'm with ya PRT .
Yes injuries hurt last year and made it look worse in the end. However, we did not have enough guys who could score last year. It looks like we corrected that this year.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rhodylaw wrote: 9 months ago
luke wrote: 9 months ago I think you're on to something PRT . I think a lot of posters are gun shy after last season's debacle . Injuries really hurt last season , so a real key for this upcoming season is to STAY HEALTHY . They seem to have some good pieces up and down the roster if they can stay on the court. I'm with ya PRT .
Yes injuries hurt last year and made it look worse in the end. However, we did not have enough guys who could score last year. It looks like we corrected that this year.
I wish "injuries" was one of last year's bigger issues. (It wasn't)
1 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

David Fuch up the A10

2 x
BobfromMatunuck
Michael Andersen

Unread post by BobfromMatunuck »

Need to keep Fuchs. Build on his skills, have him be a part of the culture change in Kingston. Trust
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I’m thinking he’s back for sure and hopefully maybe averages 10 and 8 for us next year
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

reef wrote: 1 month ago Yeah I’m thinking he’s back for sure and hopefully maybe averages 10 and 8 for us next year
14 and 12 ;)
0 x