Games of Interest - 2023-2024 MBB

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Games of Interest - 2023-2024 MBB

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 1 month ago A10 Games Wednesday March 6:
  • Loyola (21-8) @ Davidson (-1.5) (15-14) ESPN+ 7pm
  • George Mason (-2.5) (18-11) @ URI (11-18) ESPN 7pm
  • St Bonaventure (-7.5) (18-10) @ George Washington (14-15) ESPN 7pm
  • St Joseph's (18-11) @ Richmond (-5.5) (22-7) ESPN+ 7pm
  • Fordham (12-17) @ UMass (-10.5) (19-10) ESPN+ 7:30pm
George Mason up to -3.5 from -2.5 visiting URI
UMass down to -9.5 from -10.5 hosting Fordham
3 other games remain the same
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Liking Loyola to beat Davidson by 5-7
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

McRam wrote: 1 month ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 month ago I am seeing Loyola at a 93 NET ranking today - up from 96. Good team for A10 standards; not so much for NCAAT standards, unfortunately.

It is a reflection of how far away we are and where the conference stands despite being the 8th ranked NET conference.

It is unfortunate Loyola couldn’t play better in the OOC portion of the schedule. They may be playing better than their current NET ranking reflects but they won’t get to play those teams in other conferences NET ranked above
them to prove it.

For me, it goes back to what Jersey posted about 10 days ago in another thread: The A10 coaches need to up their game.

The current state is good but not good enough.

ETA: Maybe the NCAA should flip the schedule: start the season with conference games and finish it with the OOC portion - except for holiday tourneys only. :D
To me, it reflects,the absurdity of the Net rankings. Guessing if Loyola started the season higher, say under 100, they would have a net under 50 or lower. I think they somehow use last years final rating as a starting point.
McRam, I wonder if the NET calculators will tweak (de-emphasize it somewhat) that aspect of the equation due to all the portal player movement. Many of the teams have many new players so the last year probably won’t be as relevant going forward.

I am not an analytics expert so I am not sure how they could work that in though.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 month ago
McRam wrote: 1 month ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 month ago I am seeing Loyola at a 93 NET ranking today - up from 96. Good team for A10 standards; not so much for NCAAT standards, unfortunately.

It is a reflection of how far away we are and where the conference stands despite being the 8th ranked NET conference.

It is unfortunate Loyola couldn’t play better in the OOC portion of the schedule. They may be playing better than their current NET ranking reflects but they won’t get to play those teams in other conferences NET ranked above
them to prove it.

For me, it goes back to what Jersey posted about 10 days ago in another thread: The A10 coaches need to up their game.

The current state is good but not good enough.

ETA: Maybe the NCAA should flip the schedule: start the season with conference games and finish it with the OOC portion - except for holiday tourneys only. :D
To me, it reflects,the absurdity of the Net rankings. Guessing if Loyola started the season higher, say under 100, they would have a net under 50 or lower. I think they somehow use last years final rating as a starting point.
McRam, I wonder if the NET calculators will tweak (de-emphasize it somewhat) that aspect of the equation due to all the portal player movement. Many of the teams have many new players so the last year probably won’t be as relevant going forward.

I am not an analytics expert so I am not sure how they could work that in though.
I don't think NET uses that at all - Kenpom does. At least in the past, a team's W-L the previous year was often a factor in their record the next year. Good teams tend to stay good, and bad teams tend to stay bad, and in the absence of games played data, using the previous year was a way to weigh things so that the jumps in rating aren't so severe. I don't think NET is published until December or January, similar to the college football playoff rankings, so there isn't really any need to use previous year data.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Oops. Thanks, SG, for the clarification.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

How the heck did Bona lose to GW tonight ?
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Umass wins by 2 over Fordham. Kyle Rose misses open 3 at the buzzer.

I thought the announcers said the “big” collective contributors were sitting on the floor right behind the team. Anyone know if this is true?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

McRam wrote: 1 month ago Umass wins by 2 over Fordham. Kyle Rose misses open 3 at the buzzer.

I thought the announcers said the “big” collective contributors were sitting on the floor right behind the team. Anyone know if this is true?
They were sitting in the two rows of seats on the floor at the end of the court. Located between the URI Bench and the basket.

Our President, AD and Stone Freeman were seated there too.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Again, rebuilds don’t need to take years, you don’t need to give coaches 2/3+ seasons.

Multiple instances of turnarounds overnight.

ZERO points from last season and won the MWC which will get anywhere from 4-6 bids.

Did this in one of the best conferences in America.
0 x
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 month ago How the heck did Bona lose to GW tonight ?
Wow what a surprise!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

ramster wrote: 1 month ago
McRam wrote: 1 month ago Umass wins by 2 over Fordham. Kyle Rose misses open 3 at the buzzer.

They were sitting in the two rows of seats on the floor at the end of the court. Located between the URI Bench and the basket.

Our President, AD and Stone Freeman were seated there too.
They got to see another wonderful performance by the team. Another loss to a team missing it's best player.

To be a fly on the wall listening to what they must be saying.

Most of this roster belongs in D2.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 month ago

Again, rebuilds don’t need to take years, you don’t need to give coaches 2/3+ seasons.

ZERO points from last season and won the MWC which will get anywhere from 4-6 bids.

Yes 15, not impossible but very rare.
Rebuilds with success like this at Utah State are extremely difficult.

2 of the top 3 players at Utah State this season, Sprinkle brought with him from his NCAAT team at Montana State.
They did add some nice pieces from the portal which turned out to be a good fit for them.

So far this hasn't been the case with our staff.
At this point it is very doubtful we are capable of making that big of a jump next season.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 month ago

2 of the top 3 players at Utah State this season, Sprinkle brought with him from his NCAAT team at Montana State.
They did add some nice pieces from the portal which turned out to be a good fit for them.

At this point it is very doubtful we are capable of making that big of a jump next season.
Utah State is relevant now, similar to what URI was nationall . There’s a lot of fan support, the infrastructure and investment, and Sprinkle was coaching the season before on an NCAA team, able to bring his guys.

Is Dan Hurley a bad coach because it took 5 years to get out of the first round at UConn?

Utah State more highlights how bad Dave Cox was than says anything about what Archie is doing.

Being out of coaching by a year puts a delay on things.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 1 month ago

Utah State is relevant now, similar to what URI was nationall . There’s a lot of fan support, the infrastructure and investment, and Sprinkle was coaching the season before on an NCAA team, able to bring his guys.

Is Dan Hurley a bad coach because it took 5 years to get out of the first round at UConn?

Utah State more highlights how bad Dave Cox was than says anything about what Archie is doing.

Yes Blue Man, Sprinkle's situation was much different than Archie's.

Nobody is bailing on our staff just yet; it is only year 2.

Not expecting us to contend next season but would like us to be much improved.
Doubtful we will see that big of a jump like in Hurley's year 3, because we can see he had some of those pieces already in place. Not sure we can say the same.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Yea I’m not saying I expected Archie to have us Top 4 last year or this year.

Just don’t agree with people saying you have to give all new coaches 3-5 years to get things going.

Lot of factors go into it (obviously).

But nobody expected Utah St to be ranked and won the MWC this year after returning zero points from a tournament team last season.
0 x
Go Rhody
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

My fear here is people confusing "flash in the pan" with "turned around"

I'll see if USU can maintain this success next year
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 month ago

This will mark the 3rd straight tournament for Sprinkle.

Will be the 2nd straight tournament for Utah St.

Been to the last two with Montana St, don’t think he’s a flash in the pan type of coach.
1 x
Go Rhody
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 month ago

This will mark the 3rd straight tournament for Sprinkle.

Will be the 2nd straight tournament for Utah St.

Been to the last two with Montana St, don’t think he’s a flash in the pan type of coach.
I'm always cautious when coming from a 1-bid low major conference to a better conference but he very well could be a homerun hire and coming into a good spot where USU is nationally relevant (to BM's point, too bad Cox sucked something awful).

Look at Fred Hoiberg taking 5 years to get Nebrasketball back to the tournament - a guy who was a fixture in the tournament while coaching ISU...after the disaster that was Dave Cox, we're far more of a Nebraska than a Utah State
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Good point on Arch bring out a year not being able to bring some IU players with him

Arch and staff need to do a better job in the portal @ identifying good fits for our team or we will be stuck in mediocrity
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

1st round of WCC Tournament
Pepperdine is favored by 9.5 points over Pacific

At halftime the score:
Pepperdine 56
Pacific 9

Not a typo

West Coast Conference will have 2 NCAA Teams and would have 3 if BYU had not left for P5

Bottom 4 teams far worse than the A10 Bottom 4

IMG_2557.jpeg
Last edited by ramster 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 1 month ago 1st round of WCC Tournament

At halftime the score:
Pepperdine 56
Pacific 9

Not a typo
Yikes

Suddenly I don’t feel so bad about yesterday’s loss. I could be a Pacific grad.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 month ago

At halftime the score:
Pepperdine 56
Pacific 9

Not a typo
Yikes

Suddenly I don’t feel so bad about yesterday’s loss. I could be a Pacific grad.
Why do I get a sense Pacific will be on our schedule next year?
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

At halftime the score:
Pepperdine 56
Pacific 9

Not a typo

West Coast Conference will have 2 NCAA Teams and would have 3 if BYU had not left for P5

Bottom 4 teams far worse than the A10 Bottom 4

IMG_2557.jpeg
Insane Ramster !
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

FINAL WEEK OF THE SEASON

A10 Game Friday March 8
  • VCU (19-11) @ #25 Ranked Dayton (-8.5) (23-6) ESPN2/ESPN+ 7pm
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

ramster wrote: 1 month ago FINAL WEEK OF THE SEASON

A10 Game Friday March 8
Best thing for the A10 is a strong finish for Dayton, win all the way to the finals, and lose to another team.

Would be nice for Dayton to be a 6 seed.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Agreed. VCU has no shot at an at large. It would be best for the A-10 for Dayton to win out until the conference tournament championship game.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

A10 Game Friday March 8
Best thing for the A10 is a strong finish for Dayton, win all the way to the finals, and lose to another team.

I know there's an asterisk because of the covid season, but it still blows my mind that Dayton hasn't won the A10 tourney since 2003!
1 x
Go Rhody
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

A10 Game Friday March 8

I know there's an asterisk because of the covid season, but it still blows my mind that Dayton hasn't won the A10 tourney since 2003!

This probably has something to do with it. The A-10 Tournament has not been played at UD Arena since 2004. The Flyers last won the tournament the prior season in 2003 when it was also played at UD Arena. These are the only two instances where the tournament was sited in Dayton. It did however also occur twice (2005 & 2006) nearby just 50 miles away in Cincinnati.

For contrast to URI, the closest the A-10 Tournament has ever come to Kingston in the some 45 years URI has been in the league has been Brooklyn. Dayton, an A-10 member for 30 years has hosted the tournament twice and had two others nearby. URI has won the tournament twice and Dayton just once.

Worth also noting that VCU which is also typically near the top of the standings has only won the tournament twice.

A-10 Tournament Championships for present members
5 UMass (1992-96)
4 St Joe's
2 GW
2 Richmond
2 St Bonaventure
2 St Louis
2 Rhode Island
2 VCU
1 Davidson
1 Dayton
1 Duquesne

0 Fordham
0 LaSalle
0 Loyola
0 GMU

A large number of A-10 championships were won by teams that are no longer members (Villanova/Pitt/WVU/Rutgers/Penn St/Temple/Xavier)
Last edited by RF1 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RF1 wrote: 1 month ago

This probably has something to do with it. The A-10 Tournament has not been played at UD Arena since 2004. The Flyers last won the tournament the prior season in 2003 when it was also played at UD Arena. These are the only two instances where the tournament was sited in Dayton. It did however also occur twice (2005 & 2006) nearby just 50 miles away in Cincinnati.

For contrast to URI, the closest the A-10 Tournament has ever come to Kingston in the some 45 years URI has been in the league has been Brooklyn. Dayton, an A-10 member for 30 years has hosted the tournament twice and had two others nearby. URI has won the tournament twice and Dayton just once.

Worth also noting that VCU which is also typically near the top of the standings has only won the tournament twice.

A-10 Tournament Championships for present members
5 UMass (1992-96)
4 St Joe's
2 GW
2 Richmond
2 St Bonaventure
2 St Louis
2 Rhode Island
2 VCU
1 Davidson
1 Dayton
1 Duquesne

0 Fordham
0 LaSalle
0 Loyola
0 GMU

A large number of A-10 championships were won by teams that are no longer members (Villanova/Pitt/WVY/Rutgers/Penn St/Temple/Xavier)
Wow Dayton only 1 that is unbelievable
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Doubtful we will see that big of a jump like in Hurley's year 3, because we can see he had some of those pieces already in place. Not sure we can say the same.
Why is it that some programs (that no one has ever even heard of) can turn it around in one year, but, it's "acceptable" to not make a big jump here even in year 3?
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 month ago

Why is it that some programs (that no one has ever even heard of) can turn it around in one year, but, it's "acceptable" to not make a big jump here even in year 3?
Welp, Its not.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 1 month ago

Welp, Its not.
Depends on who you ask, I guess...many here seem cool with it..."takes time to rebuild" :roll:
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

We can turn it around , let’s kill it in the portal unlike last year
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Welp, Its not.
Depends on who you ask, I guess...many here seem cool with it..."takes time to rebuild" :roll:
You mean the 1,000 people at the last game? Agree with you. Its not acceptable.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

VCU came to play tonight ! Dayton hasn’t led yet !
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Welp, Its not.
I guess in our situation I never really expected a quick fix.
But now it may take longer than I had hoped to even be respectable.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Welp, Its not.
But now it's taking longer than I thought to even be respectable.
You should never be below respectable...but that's where this team has been for the last two years...I never, ever, ever...would have thought, under any circumstances that either of the first two years of Arch would be less respectable than Cox's last year. But...here we are...with DC's last year being Rhody's best of the last 3....sad.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

But now it's taking longer than I thought to even be respectable.
You should never be below respectable...but that's where this team has been for the last two years...I never, ever, ever...would have thought, under any circumstances that either of the first two years of Arch would be less respectable than Cox's last year. But...here we are...with DC's last year being Rhody's best of the last 3....sad.
I would have coached for about $850k. Probably the same result.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Dayton-VCU down to the wire in regulation, great game.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RI_Bred wrote: 1 month ago Dayton-VCU down to the wire in regulation, great game.
dang, Bamisile...good game
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

RI_Bred wrote: 1 month ago Dayton-VCU down to the wire in regulation, great game.
Very good game, Bred. High level play.

I really like Bamisile for VCU. His athleticism is exceptional. So quick to the hoop on drives and such a quick leaper.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

crazy raining threes at both ends!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Dayton pulls it out in OT , think they will be a 6 seed
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Dayton now at 24-6 and an NET around #21 is a guaranteed 100% lock for the NCAA. Could even lose their first A-10 Tournament game.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

A10 Games Saturday March :
  • St Louis (11-19) @ St Bonaventure (-12.5) (18-11) USA Net 12:30pm
  • URI (11-19) @ Fordham (-6.5) (12-18) ESPN+ 1pm
  • Davidson (15-15) @ St Joseph's (-4.5) (18-12) ESPN+ 1pm
  • George Washington (15-15) @ Duquesne (-11.5) (19-11) ESPN+ 2pm
  • Richmond (23-7) @ George Mason (-1.5) (19-11) 2:30pm
  • LaSalle (15-15) @ Loyola (-12.5) (22-8) ESPN+ 4pm
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

A10 Standings Heading into Saturday Final Conference Games

TOP 4 - Double Bye
1-Richmond (15-2)
2-Loyola (14-3)
3-Dayton (14-4)
4-UMass (11-7)

Single Bye
5-VCU (11-7)
6-Duquesne (9-8)
7-St Bonaventure (9-8)
8-George Mason (8-9)
9-St Joseph's (8-9)

Play In Game
10-LaSalle (6-11)
11-Fordham (6-11)
12-Davidson (5-12)
13-URI (5-12)
14-George Washington (4-13)
15-St Louis (4-13)
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RF1 wrote: 1 month ago Dayton now at 24-6 and an NET around #21 is a guaranteed 100% lock for the NCAA. Could even lose their first A-10 Tournament game.
Interesting in Dayton's 91-86 OT victory they got zero points from their bench.
All their starters played over 40 minutes and scored in double-digits (14 pts or more).
PG Javon Bennett was out with a thumb injury, his status for the A10T is currently questionable.

Their win also knocked VCU out of the top 4.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 1 month ago Dayton now at 24-6 and an NET around #21 is a guaranteed 100% lock for the NCAA. Could even lose their first A-10 Tournament game.
All their starters played over 40 minutes and scored in double-digits (14 pts or more).
PG Javon Bennett was out with a thumb injury, his status for the A10T is currently questionable.

And UMass now has the Double Bye 4-Seed locked up as they have played all 18 games
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 month ago

And UMass now has the Double Bye 4-Seed locked up as they have played all 18 games
Yes Ramster, unfortunately
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

That is pretty amazing about Dayton. Hopefully they don't suffer wear and tear into the NCAA tourney. I'd like to see them win a couple.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.