3/6 | George Mason | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: 3/6 | George Mason | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by section(105) »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 month ago
ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 month ago
reef wrote: 1 month ago 45-32. Pats U 12

I’m glad Dubs is getting some run , I be good with him returning, always room for a shooter

If only Archie listened to me months ago

DUBS made my final 8 and people mocked me

Hahahaha

These other losers need to go

and that includes guys who started most of this year

Bye bye bye
yeah...dubs, if he stays or not, don't see him as a difference-maker on a good team
Maybe Dubs can be a difference maker on bottom tier team trying to crawl upward?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I'm just curious, but am guessing that all those that want to "keep dubs" probably wish we still had Bassy.
Those guys are just not NCAAs or Bust players, and it seems like everyone championing those guys is settling for "less than NCAAs or Bust"...just my opinion.
3 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 1 month ago For everyone who cannot stand so-called "coach speak," be thankful you have Archie Miller not blowing smoke up anyone's rear. end He sees exactly what everyone else sees. He's 100% truthful to the fans. He's not sugarcoating it. His honesty and straightforwardness is refreshing and spot on, which is unfortunate because the assessment for all who love URI hoops is not in a good place.

There are players that have quit, quit on their teammates, quit on their coaches, quit on the fans. Some players may be talented, they and their coaches may say the right things in the recruiting process, they work hard in the offseason...but ultimately, nobody (NOBODY!) knows how much they want it, how much of a team player they are, how they respond to tough coaching, to adversity, to an opponent who is just as good, just as talented but fiercer competitor until it hits them square in the face. Many, but not all, URI players clearly lack the mental fortitude to overcome, make their teammates better, hold themselves accountable before holding others accountable. The players are not as good as they think they are. Coaches can scream, yell, come up with every motivational ploy in the books...but you absolutely cannot make somebody care just like you cannot make somebody love somebody else.

Archie and his staff did not forget how to coach basketball. This is Archie's program. He knows that. He knows what he's hired to do. He knows this is not what he envisioned...and I can only imagine how many sleepless nights he has had. He also knows he has four years to get this straightened out or he will be shown the door. He knows how the coaching business works. Nobody feels worse than he does. He got into coaching for probably the same reasons most coaches do: loves the game, loves working with young men, and loves the competition (and the winning). Right now, he's miserable because he's got nothing to show for any of that.

With that said, he has my 100% support. He said, "we'll be good when we're good." And I say, "I'll support him until I don't support him."
Good post PMMM. Top half of A10 next year or the seat gets hot, in my opinion. No excuses.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Speaking of potential returnees…

Personally, I like Lou K. He is one of the very few with any sack on the team. Could be a good locker room guy if he stays. Unfortunately, I think he doesn’t have the talent or quickness to be more than a backup at this level at best.

It is probably best for him - from a playing time standpoint - if he drops back down to a lower conference.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RI_Bred wrote: 1 month ago

Hahahaha

Bye bye bye
yeah...dubs, if he stays or not, don't see him as a difference-maker on a good team
I agree, he shows hustle and I have nothing against him, but there is no way he would receive significant minutes on a decent team. No way. He's not athletic at this level.
ECR acting like Dubsky is an actually difference maker 🤣🤣

Clueless.
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 month ago Speaking of potential retirees…

Personally, I like Louis. He is one of the very few with any sack on the team. Could be a good locker room guy if he stays. Unfortunately, I think he doesn’t have the talent or quickness to be more than a backup at this level at best.

It is probably best for him - from a playing time standpoint - if he drops back down to a lower conference.
Louis has by far the most sack on this team. If the rest of the team uses a fanny pack to carry theirs, Louis uses a wheelbarrow. That guy has done waaaay more than should have ever been expected of him. No, he's not the most talented guy on your roster (hopefully), but I think there's a spot for that guy on almost any team.
2 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 month ago
Shinze88 wrote: 1 month ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 month ago

So none of this has to do with coaching issues and Archie isn't accountable?

The staff needs to up their game as well as the players.

So overhauling the roster every year is the answer and who is responsible for putting it together?
Oh no, I completely agree that Archie is 100% accountable for this slop, but he's not going anywhere for at least another 2 years so yes, the best option is to keep the freshman and hope to get a few undervalued ballers in the portal. There's no reason to think we'll be decent next year if the majority of the roster is not turned over.

Usually the team will improve with an additional year under the staff and system.
If the staff totally lost this group, that is on the coaches.
Not sure a whole new roster will fix it.
The team has obviously not improved as the season went on or maybe we are the same but the rest of the league has gotten better as the season progresses.

Hard not to put this on Archie.
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Personally, I like Louis. He is one of the very few with any sack on the team. Could be a good locker room guy if he stays. Unfortunately, I think he doesn’t have the talent or quickness to be more than a backup at this level at best.

Louis has by far the most sack on this team. If the rest of the team uses a fanny pack to carry theirs, Louis uses a wheelbarrow. That guy has done waaaay more than should have ever been expected of him. No, he's not the most talented guy on your roster (hopefully), but I think there's a spot for that guy on almost any team.
Giant fan, I agree. Aside, we will need someone to run the team until Ben gets his feet wet.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

I don’t think weston played in the second half
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 1 month ago For everyone who cannot stand so-called "coach speak," be thankful you have Archie Miller not blowing smoke up anyone's rear. end He sees exactly what everyone else sees. He's 100% truthful to the fans. He's not sugarcoating it. His honesty and straightforwardness is refreshing and spot on, which is unfortunate because the assessment for all who love URI hoops is not in a good place.

There are players that have quit, quit on their teammates, quit on their coaches, quit on the fans. Some players may be talented, they and their coaches may say the right things in the recruiting process, they work hard in the offseason...but ultimately, nobody (NOBODY!) knows how much they want it, how much of a team player they are, how they respond to tough coaching, to adversity, to an opponent who is just as good, just as talented but fiercer competitor until it hits them square in the face. Many, but not all, URI players clearly lack the mental fortitude to overcome, make their teammates better, hold themselves accountable before holding others accountable. The players are not as good as they think they are. Coaches can scream, yell, come up with every motivational ploy in the books...but you absolutely cannot make somebody care just like you cannot make somebody love somebody else.

Archie and his staff did not forget how to coach basketball. This is Archie's program. He knows that. He knows what he's hired to do. He knows this is not what he envisioned...and I can only imagine how many sleepless nights he has had. He also knows he has four years to get this straightened out or he will be shown the door. He knows how the coaching business works. Nobody feels worse than he does. He got into coaching for probably the same reasons most coaches do: loves the game, loves working with young men, and loves the competition (and the winning). Right now, he's miserable because he's got nothing to show for any of that.

With that said, he has my 100% support. He said, "we'll be good when we're good." And I say, "I'll support him until I don't support him."
Coach speak is way down the list of what people have issues with. If there is one thing most of us have praised about Archie, it’s the way he dissects our teams and our opponents. I think we all enjoy watching Archie postgame or pregame. Archie has a fantastic basketball mind and he breaks down the game better than most, if not all, the coaches I’ve watched at Rhody. He knows what we need. He knows our weaknesses. But we still look worse and worse. That’s what people are worried about, including myself

Most of us are still on the Archie train. This is one of the most important offseasons of his career. Three straight horrible seasons where your team looks mentally checked out is not the direction you want to be going. We know he can succeed with the right pieces. I still believe.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

RI_Bred wrote: 1 month ago How about the guy they announced tonight, 63 year season ticket holder, damn!
He was a career prof in the Phys Ed Dept.
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 month ago Speaking of potential returnees…

Personally, I like Lou K. He is one of the very few with any sack on the team. Could be a good locker room guy if he stays. Unfortunately, I think he doesn’t have the talent or quickness to be more than a backup at this level at best.

Yeah I like Luis as well.

I remember Arch thinking the ceiling of the team couldn't be reached until Ways could play with him. Never really materialized.

I think he and Hammond could be pretty dynamic together with Luis playing off the ball.
1 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

rhodyrudder wrote: 1 month ago I don’t think weston played in the second half
He actually started after playing the last 9 minutes of the first…
He was taken out with 18 to go, and never returned.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rhodyrudder wrote: 1 month ago I don’t think weston played in the second half
what is up with that? I mean., what are we doing? Even though he had 0 points against SLU, he was the guy I thought was most important to be on the floor the whole game. This is why I can't coach, or critique coaches of, basketball, in game. But after the games are over, if you hardly ever win, I feel confident in saying, "you are not doing a good job."
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

McRam wrote: 1 month ago

Giant fan, I agree. Aside, we will need someone to run the team until Ben gets his feet wet.
Love Lou, but he’s way too slow to stick with A10 guards. I’d rather we land a defensive point guard. I also want to see Cam take on a bigger role next year. I don’t think we bring back House and Luis. If I had to pick one, it’s House. The biggest reason is he’s a dude who can get you 20, and he has the tools to be a better defender if he wanted to be… But if Luis comes back I won’t complain. Hes a solid piece,
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

I know nothing. I think the divide between Fou and Archie has reached a point that it is not repairable. I would like to see him back, with a hard core intensive off season corrective action program and skill development to fit what Archie expects.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 month ago

Love Lou, but he’s way too slow to stick with A10 guards. I’d rather we land a defensive point guard. I also want to see Cam take on a bigger role next year. I don’t think we bring back House and Luis. If I had to pick one, it’s House. The biggest reason is he’s a dude who can get you 20, and he has the tools to be a better defender if he wanted to be… But if Luis comes back I won’t complain. Hes a solid piece,
but house seems also more likely to be a piss ant whose play gets affected by how he's treated...I take Lou K over house, even though I love offense
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Cam looks very tentative out there. I'll chalk it up to none of these guys have found a defined role. That's on both the coaches and the players. Who's the team leader for the players?
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 month ago I'm just curious, but am guessing that all those that want to "keep dubs" probably wish we still had Bassy.
Those guys are just not NCAAs or Bust players, and it seems like everyone championing those guys is settling for "less than NCAAs or Bust"...just my opinion.
Agree. I give Dubs credit for hustling and trying as hard as he could. Even if he turns out to be an above average shooter, Dubs is not anthletic or quick enough at this level. We do not need another bad defensive player.!!
5 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

section(105) wrote: 1 month ago I know nothing. I think the divide between Fou and Archie has reached a point that it is not repairable. I would like to see him back, with a hard core intensive off season corrective action program and skill development to fit what Archie expects.
Are you referring to Fou or Archie?😬😬
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RI_Bred wrote: 1 month ago Cam looks very tentative out there. I'll chalk it up to none of these guys have found a defined role. That's on both the coaches and the players. Who's the team leader for the players?
Well, on defense, there are definitely defined roles. Those roles seem to be, "everybody guard everything...except for 3's and layups"
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

but house seems also more likely to be a piss ant whose play gets affected by how he's treated...I take Lou K over house, even though I love offense
Luis is a good leader and plays well in the clutch but he’s so bad on D he really hurts us. A locked in House is a better player and if we have a better team I think we get a better version of House. The only guard that 100% has to be off this team is Wright. He and Rory are low level D1 players at best. They should not be in the A10.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 month ago I'm just curious, but am guessing that all those that want to "keep dubs" probably wish we still had Bassy.
Agree. I give Dubs credit for hustling and trying as hard as he could. Even if he turns out to be an above average shooter, Dubs is not anthletic or quick enough at this level. We do not need another bad defensive player.!!
No one said Bassy was an ncaa or bust player. The argument was that Always Wright was a better fit for this team than Bassy. Myself and others thought that was absolutely ridiculous so we defended him. Wright is a good kid but like Bassy he will have a much easier time at a low level D1 program or D2.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Two of our supposed best scorers, House and Estevez combined for ZERO points......mind boggling.
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 month ago Two of our supposed best scorers, House and Estevez combined for ZERO points......mind boggling.
Yes, unacceptable.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

The guys with attitude problems need to go no matter what. Start over if you have to. Sick of watching URI teams that don’t compete, don’t defend, complain at every call, and refuse to be coached.
5 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

RI_Bred wrote: 1 month ago Cam looks very tentative out there. I'll chalk it up to none of these guys have found a defined role. That's on both the coaches and the players. Who's the team leader for the players?
Green, Luis, and Weston are the leaders in my eyes…The guys tend to follow their lead. Next year it will be Hammond’s team. He’s a natural leader. It may take some time but by conference play I think Archie gives him the keys and we let him do his thing. His energy will be such a great addition to this team. But he’s not going to enjoy playing with dudes that give up and play dogshit defense. We need upgrades.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Green, Luis, and Weston are the leaders in my eyes…The guys tend to follow their lead. Next year it will be Hammond’s team. He’s a natural leader. It may take some time but by conference play I think Archie gives him the keys and we let him do his thing. His energy will be such a great addition to this team. But he’s not going to enjoy playing with dudes that give up and play dogshit defense. We need upgrades.
Hope so man. We need it.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I so hope you're right...I just have a hard time picturing a guy that - we know isn't going to score a lot - making a notable NCAAs or Bust difference.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Stevey, it is a big ask of a freshman PG. But, I think you may be right. Hammond may have the mindset, balls, courage, confidence, winning pedigree to pull it off. JD was able to do it under Dan so hopefully, Hammond will follow in his footsteps under Archie’s tutelage.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 month ago
Stevey, it is a big ask of a freshman PG. But, I think you may be right. Hammond may have the mindset, balls, courage, winning pedigree to pull it off. JD was able to do it under Dan so hopefully, Hammond will follow in his footsteps.
And the players with the attitudes will say, this little shit is going to tell me what to do? Like Stevey said, he'll hate playing with some of these players. We have to get players with the same heart and desire that Hammond has. How many of those are here right now? Not many, in my opinion.
5 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Me too. I’m not a fan of House
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 month ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 month ago

Stevey, it is a big ask of a freshman PG. But, I think you may be right. Hammond may have the mindset, balls, courage, winning pedigree to pull it off. JD was able to do it under Dan so hopefully, Hammond will follow in his footsteps.
And the players with the attitudes will say, this little shit is going to tell me what to do? Like Stevey said, he'll hate playing with some of these players. We have to get players with the same heart and desire that Hammond has. How many of those are here right now? Not many, in my opinion.
Yeah, 78, that is something (those players with crap attitudes that aren’t fixable) that Archie will have to weed out. Then those that remain and come in via the portal will need to get in line.

I am sure Dan had to do some convincing with the team for them to trust JD at first. Archie will have to be as convincing if he decides that handing the keys to Hammond is best. Hopefully Archie can do that convincing with some help from Hammond’s play in practices and early season games. Archie will need Hammond to be a quick study of the O and D and adjust to the speed and strength of the college game quicker than normal freshman - like JD was able to.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I so hope you're right...I just have a hard time picturing a guy that - we know isn't going to score a lot - making a notable NCAAs or Bust difference.
Jeff averaged 5 pts a game as a freshman and was one of the most important players on the team. A true point guard will help this team tremendously.

However, I don't think anyone thinks Hammond will make us an NCAA tournament team as a freshman...But he can help change the culture and hopefully develop into someone who can be the leader of an NCAA tournament roster down the line. We must get out of the bottom of the A10 before we even consider an NCAA tournament team. We need to have a season under Archie where our team improves, and we have some hope for our future. As Archie said we don't have a culture right now. This next class is incredibly important.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I have a feeling Luis ain't leaving. I don't think he's ever really lacked effort and he's posted stuff like "trust the process"
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Brutal season. I started coming to games in 2015 and had season tickets for the great Hurley years and 3 of the Cox Downward Dog Teams until I gave up my seats. Hoped Archie would restore the luster to.our program but I haven't seen any reason to drive an hour each way to see this 💩 show. I hope that will change but I'm not feeling very optimistic about our chances.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Put me in the give the keys to Hammond from the get go camp
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Watching Arch presser on you tube I like that he puts the blame on himself so opposite of Cox

I think there’s going to be wholesale changes again , Arch is going to get rid of a lot of these guys and hopefully find better players who better fit his style
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

RI_Bred wrote: 1 month ago

Hahahaha

Bye bye bye
I agree, he shows hustle and I have nothing against him, but there is no way he would receive significant minutes on a decent team. No way. He's not athletic at this level.

What’s wrong with that ?

He’s returning on my team as a viable sniper off the bench

been begging all year for him - glad he’s getting a look
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 month ago

I have a feeling Luis ain't leaving. I don't think he's ever really lacked effort and he's posted stuff like "trust the process"
He didn’t make my list
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Rhody rehab is open……I just checked myself in. Mainly to get help to fight off the feelings Ihave that Ben Hammond is a savior on the way. Caution for me is needed that he will be the catalyst to be the fixer of all things for Rhody hoops. Go Rhody
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Watching this team regress this badly is beyond disappointing.

This team is currently so dysfunctional, and the staff is at a loss for answers.

Not sure what to make of it, but we certainly have a long way to go to be relevant again.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Last nite on post game radio, reacting to Archie’s post game comments, there was discussion n finding 5 players that have demonstrated they want to be here, want to play hard and go with that group to get major minutes(start?) against Fordham. Who would those be?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We are getting what we paid for, in a sense.

Archie brought in a bunch of transfers from lower level conferences, probably hoping that he and the staff could coach them up to where we would be a decent team.

Well he and they failed miserably in that regard.

Maybe with more NIL funds he will be able to bring in higher level talent going forward, because that's the only thing that will make us relevant again.

And it HAS to start in this recruiting cycle

Archie has 2 more years to fix this. Or see ya
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 month ago

He didn’t make my list
Whelp if he didn't make your list, might as well ship him off.

All Hail ECR.
1 x
Go Rhody
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Archie might be questioning his own recruiting ability right now.

He knows he ended up bringing in a bunch of dead weight that he has to now get rid of, and start over.

Who would want to come here after listening to that post game presser. Archie sounds defeated.

At least he puts the blame where it belongs, on himself.

Unfortunately, I dont see how we are going to be much better next season. We need too many new players that are home runs, not singles.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I'm actually beginning to wonder if Archie decides to hang it up and join the list of coaches retiring from the game due to the transfer and NIL issues, not to mention the seemingly more difficult issue of dealing with todays players attitudes

Maybe not now but soon, if things dont improve?

Who wants to go out this way of course, but I can see more coaches joining the list.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I feel for Archie, the recruiting world is an absolute dumpster fire. Still pushing for him, and this team.
2 x
GO RAMS
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 month ago I feel for Archie, the recruiting world is an absolute dumpster fire. Still pushing for him, and this team.
Feeling for Archie also. Even tough I have been critical of his coaching the x and o in the past and early this season. Mrs 105 went over a few seats to thanks Archie’s wife for coming to games and to hang in there. She was appreciative. It’s a lonely tough business when it gets this bad.
5 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938