Davidson Women end season early

Discuss everything related to the women's team.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Davidson Women end season early

Unread post by RF1 »

Did people see what the Davidson Women's program announced on March 1st? The Davidson College athletic department announced Friday that the remainder of the 2023-24 women's basketball season has been canceled due to a significant number of injuries. They had already forfeited two games before then forfeiting their last remaining regular season league game and will not participate in the tournament. The team had an overall record of 18-8 and were 8-7 in conference play at that time (not including forfeits).

I don't think I have ever seen something like this before.

Women’s Basketball Cancels Remainder of 2023-24 Season
https://davidsonwildcats.com/news/2024/ ... -24-season
Last edited by RF1 1 month ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Re: Davidson Women end season early

Unread post by NHRamFan »

Wonder what the effect will be on the A-10 tourney. Will they be "seeded" based on their record (including forfeits), with a win awarded to whoever they would have played? Will they be excluded from the tournament, with a bye resulting somewhere else in the bracket?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I believe, for A-10 standings, that Davidson's forfeitures resulted in losses for them and wins for St Louis, Dayton and Fordham. This is based on the official standings on the A-10 site showing all teams played 18 games per their records.

As for the tournament, Davidson was excluded from seeding and the tournament was seeded and scheduled for fourteen teams.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

An odd situation, especially since it has happened at least twice this year - I think Texas Tech had this happen earlier this year as well. Davidson has 15 players listed on its roster, but in its three most recent games, it looks like they went 6 or 7 deep. Looking at their top players in minutes from a victory against Duke early season, vs. the season and recent games...

- Suzi Rose Deegins tore her ACL.
- Elle Sutphin seemingly has some sort of undisclosed injury as well, hasn't played in a dozen games.
- Charlise Dunn tore her ACL.
- A reserve player, Sylvie Jackson, left with an injury in the middle of Davidson's 13th game and hasn't played since.
- Two players have 1 GP each, 5 total minutes. I'm guessing they're walk-ons that can't play anything but non-garbage minutes.
- Issy Morgan and Millie Prior were the other two starters, still healthy, but both were playing 35+ MPG now.
- Mallorie Haines, Maddie Plank and Katie Donovan went from 10 MPG reserves to also now playing 30+ MPG.
- Chloe Oliver was a deep reserve, end of bench type to their only guard off the bench.
- Their seventh healthy scholarship player is a 6'3" freshman forward that didn't start playing until the injuries racked up, and she still only has 61 MP. Probably a project post.
- Two players have zero MP; I'm guessing they're not eligible or medical redshirts.

There's definitely some bad luck at play here - 4 season ending injuries. But there's some poor roster management going on as well, since they seemingly have two walk-ons that can't play, a limited project center, and two scholarships used on ???.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

During a recent A10 WBB it was mentioned that Davidson WBB had suffered 5 players with ACL injuries.

A10 WBB Tournament Bracket with 14 Teams as Davidson has dropped out.

IMG_2512.jpeg
0 x
mainejeff2
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by mainejeff2 »

No one in America East had to do this.
0 x