3/2 | Saint Louis | 4:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: 3/2 | Saint Louis | 4:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by reef »

Watching the Arch presser now , same old same old , give STL credit , frustrated with the defense

Yes we know Arch !
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

It's not hard to make shots when you are unguarded
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago I think it's amazing that a coach can be so stubborn and inflexible when it comes to his defensive philosophy.

It's obvious his players can't or wont play it, yet he keeps trying it

Good coaches change things up when they dont work

Archie hardly ever does.
I noticed when it was late game pressure/desperation time on defense, it appeared to me House was clueless on where to be and who’s area/defender he was responsible for. Any time we go into this pressure mode, it is clear to me this team doesn’t work it often enough to be effective.
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Had WJAR 7pm news on. Unless they recorded the sports at 6pm, there was zero mention of URI even pLaYiNg a game today.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

We scored 52 points in the second half and still got outscored. Let that role around in your mind for a bit.

Brutal. Absolutely brutal D against a sub .500 team.

Archie and staff must do a better job at bringing in players that have the athleticism, mental toughness and work ethic to be good defenders to go along with our core players he keeps - like Fuchs, Cam, Weston, Green and maybe Zek, Louis, Dubs depending on what Archie decides. I think Hammond and Farrell are an upgrade potentially on D but they will need time to adjust to major college ball therefore we need a few more mature defenders we need to add.

Then Archie needs the players he keeps to improve on D and integrate them with the new players to play well on D as a group.

Archie, the staff and returning players have a lot of work to do just to get the team to average on D for the A10 level and above. Those returning players - whoever they end up being - must work their asses off to improve on D.

Improving the talent level on D with another big to help Fuchs and push Fuchs is needed, imho. And, Arch needs an experienced point guard who can play solid defense AND run the offense well until Hammond is ready to run the show.

Big, big offseason ahead.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 month ago Why did it take that long to put Fuchs back in the game!? Gahdamn
bump. have not read through the thread yet, but, just, bump....
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 month ago Put us on your back Luis!! Also, we just got so lucky Jimerson missed another wide-open 3. Idk how we keep leaving other teams best player wide open every game but we continue to do it.
gackline d...prevents everything but 3s and layups
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 month ago We either give up a wide open layup, wide open 3, or foul. We simply have to pray St. Louis will miss free throws or an open shot.
= the "packline" aka the "pack line"
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 1 month ago How many plays can we half-ass?
how much time left in the game?
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

section(105) wrote: 1 month ago
rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago I think it's amazing that a coach can be so stubborn and inflexible when it comes to his defensive philosophy.

Archie hardly ever does.
I noticed when it was late game pressure/desperation time on defense, it appeared to me House was clueless on where to be and who’s area/defender he was responsible for. Any time we go into this pressure mode, it is clear to me this team doesn’t work it often enough to be effective.
105, I really like House’s offense but he is a drag on D. I am indifferent to him returning next season. If he doesn’t return, I think we can replace his O with players who return and/or recruit via the portal while improving on D. If returns that is okay but I won’t be doing cartwheels over it.

Plus, I am leaning towards him wanting to move on to play overseas or for a potential NCAAT team next season if he doesn’t have to sit out. Just my gut based off his attitude in games I’ve watched.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Archie hardly ever does.
Doesn't it sometimes seem like, they're just running a 5 man weave...without the ball...'cuz, well, they're on defense?
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I couldn’t read all the posts, but can you imagine we lost at home to a sub .500 team that didn’t even have any point guards available and playing for about the last 5 minutes and they out executed us.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Ithink his (House)on ball defense has improved, he takes solid stance and digs in more than he has in the past. My comment on his late game defense was more a negative on coaching, while STL was in bounding the ball, right in front of bench and my seats, he was looking and asking Archie, who should I guard, where to move once ball was in play. If he has offers elsewhere good for him. Those, I think will be better than Kingston can offer.
Last edited by section(105) 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

section(105) wrote: 1 month ago Ithink his (House)on ball defense has improved, he takes solid stance and digs in more than he has in the past. My comment on his late game defense was more a negative on coaching, while STL was in bounding the ball, right in front of bench and my seats, he was looking and asking Archie, who should I guard, where to move once ball was in play. If he has offers elsewhere good for him. Those, I think will be than Kingston can offer.
Thanks for clarifying. I misunderstood.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 month ago

Archie hardly ever does.
Doesn't it sometimes seem like, they're just running a 5 man weave...without the ball...'cuz, well, they're on defense?
Like the Washington Nationals defense😏. Correction, Washington Generals!
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 month ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 month ago
reef wrote: 1 month ago Arch took out Fuchs and guy got board over Tyson
Exactly, Reef. Bad move in hindsight.
I don't think it would have mattered. Brown had to lay off his man because our perimeter defense is fucking awful. Either Brown tries to disrupt Jimerson's shot which he did well, or he stays on the big man and gives up a wide open layup. Either way, they were scoring.
Of course there are still,three other players on the floor for us.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

McRam wrote: 1 month ago 2 games left in the season and I still do not know what our defensive strategy is on a basic pick and roll. Dan and Cox hedged the pick with our big man and double teamed the player with ball to prevent the easy pass to the big man.

I can’t recall a single play today where we did this very basic defensive strategy. The result was open shots or big man getting rebounds.
What am I missing?
What you are missing is that Rhody runs a 5 man weave on D. If you run around fast enough, you increase the chances you'll run into a deflection or something...just keep running in oblong circles...faster
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 month ago
McRam wrote: 1 month ago 2 games left in the season and I still do not know what our defensive strategy is on a basic pick and roll. Dan and Cox hedged the pick with our big man and double teamed the player with ball to prevent the easy pass to the big man.

I can’t recall a single play today where we did this very basic defensive strategy. The result was open shots or big man getting rebounds.
What am I missing?
What you are missing is that Rhody runs a 5 man weave on D. If you run around fast enough, you increase the chances you'll run into a deflection or something...just keep running in oblong circles...faster
Know what, you are crazy. Or not crazy, take your pick!
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Sounds like he needs Rhody Rehab.

I might too.

105, do you take Blue Cross ?

I have difficulty traveling. Tele-med appoints available ?

You should consider starting a KB group session.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 month ago
section(105) wrote: 1 month ago

Archie hardly ever does.
105, I really like House’s offense but he is a drag on D. I am indifferent to him returning next season. If he doesn’t return, I think we can replace his O with players who return and/or recruit via the portal while improving on D. If returns that is okay but I won’t be doing cartwheels over it.

Plus, I am leaning towards him wanting to move on to play overseas or for a potential NCAAT team next season if he doesn’t have to sit out. Just my gut based off his attitude in games I’ve watched.
It is hard to replace those drives to the basket and the fouls he causes ; as long as Zek is on the team it is hard to criticize House’defense.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 month ago Sounds like he needs Rhody Rehab.

I might too.

105, do you take Blue Cross ?

I have difficulty traveling. Tele-med appoints available ?

You should consider starting a KB group session.
Funny, the price now is back to 5 cents pm surge pricing didn’t work. I thought of opening branch offices, like new topic here, but seems like all of us in need get the help they need, game after game to vent right here…….Go Rhody
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 month ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 month ago We’ll be good when, we’re good.
I may be in the minority here, but I didn’t like when he said that.

Whatever, I’ll be in Kingston early November against Sacred Heart convinced we have a shot at the tournament.
Why would anyone like that statement? Guy gets paid a ton of money and has accomplished nothing. Nice to be able to talk big at a place they won’t fire you and you can collect your money and move on elsewhere. Archie should be embarrassed
1 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

reef wrote: 1 month ago Watching the Arch presser now , same old same old , give STL credit , frustrated with the defense

Yes we know Arch !
Then why watch the presser? You saw the game. So did he. You want him to say the D was great, it's coming around, he likes the fight in the team, etc.?

He's being honest about his team and being a good sport by giving STL credit. He's not insulting anyone by saying the sky is not blue.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 month ago We scored 52 points in the second half and still got outscored. Let that role around in your mind for a bit.

Brutal. Absolutely brutal D against a sub .500 team.

Archie and staff must do a better job at bringing in players that have the athleticism, mental toughness and work ethic to be good defenders to go along with our core players he keeps - like Fuchs, Cam, Weston, Green and maybe Zek, Louis, Dubs depending on what Archie decides. I think Hammond and Farrell are an upgrade potentially on D but they will need time to adjust to major college ball therefore we need a few more mature defenders we need to add.

Then Archie needs the players he keeps to improve on D and integrate them with the new players to play well on D as a group.

Archie, the staff and returning players have a lot of work to do just to get the team to average on D for the A10 level and above. Those returning players - whoever they end up being - must work their asses off to improve on D.

Improving the talent level on D with another big to help Fuchs and push Fuchs is needed, imho. And, Arch needs an experienced point guard who can play solid defense AND run the offense well until Hammond is ready to run the show.

Big, big offseason ahead.
Incredibly huge off-season ahead !
0 x
Coach_NDuke
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Coach_NDuke »

rhodyram22 wrote: 1 month ago
rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago The thing I'm optimistic about is that this season is almost over.

And the ONLY thing that will help this clusterfuck is Archie bringing some LOT better talent in next season.
Who the fuck would want to play here? I don’t understand how next year will be different than this one? It’ll be another roster overhaul minus a few players, and we’ll continue to be at the bottom of the A10 because of sub-average coaching. It’s not just the players. It’s the coaching too.
Agree, roster overhaul, but a few could equal 7.
1 x

Cheers
Coach N Duke
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Rhodys defense reminds me of an 8 year old soccer game. Everyone is chasing the ball at once, then it pops out to someone for the goal.
3 x
Spook5365
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Spook5365 »

50 years of watching I’ve never seen a player get stripped by a defender, the defender dives , gets up and sprints to the ball and takes in for easy lay up. While our “player” jogs/walks after him. Then our “player” doesn’t get pulled for it. I’d rather see the 3 walk ons play than these shit bums. I’ve been saying we can’t overhaul the roster every season screw that get them outta here. A simple formula for me: If that “player” returns, I don’t.
4 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

After sleeping on it, I almost feel worse about our loss last night.
I felt this game was going to be a much-needed win and at least be a little spark.

SLU was at the bottom of the conference, and they dropped 94 points on us.
Not only that but Parker came in banged up and played only 16 minutes.
Starting center Ezewiro got injured and played only 7 minutes.
Then PG Medley and back-up center Van Bussell both fouled out towards the end of the game.
Who would think we would come out on the losing end, let alone this being at home.

This season has turned out to be much worse, than I even thought.

Not only are we bad, but this team seems to be dysfunctional, and the chemistry on the court never really clicked.
Sorry but there is no positive way to spin it.

Archie seems to be at a loss right now, without any immediate answers.

Yes, it is still only year 2 and there is a part of me that does believe Archie will fix it.
Unfortunately, the fan base keeps becoming more discontented.

Bottom line, this staff and team need to get their act together and they will have all off-season to get it done.
They certainly have their work cut out for them.
Again, very curious to see what pieces will still be left and who will be added.

Being a Rhody fan can be very trying, but we must keep the faith.
Looking forward to 24-25.
6 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Spook5365 wrote: 1 month ago 50 years of watching I’ve never seen a player get stripped by a defender, the defender dives , gets up and sprints to the ball and takes in for easy lay up. While our “player” jogs/walks after him. Then our “player” doesn’t get pulled for it. I’d rather see the 3 walk ons play than these shit bums. I’ve been saying we can’t overhaul the roster every season screw that get them outta here. A simple formula for me: If that “player” returns, I don’t.
Infuriating. Watching this unfold in real time was absolutely maddening. That inbounds "pass" from Zek where he effectively lobbed it to the St. Louis player was just surreal - I couldn't believe my eyes. He did get pulled for that but still, it was so nonchalant that it was just incomprehensible.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

The kids that don’t try need to go.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If Dan was the coach, the guys who dont try would be on the bench to stay. Maybe even in street clothes.

You play the guys who want to play. Period
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

What’s even more crazy is these players are getting actually paid, since a $50,000+ scholarship wasn’t enough to compensate them for their efforts.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago If Dan was the coach, the guys who dont try would be on the bench to stay. Maybe even in street clothes.

You play the guys who want to play. Period
I remember an incident in Dan’s time here, he banned the players to wear any Rhody issued practice gear, because they were not worthy to wear it for lack of effort. During the Jeff Dowtin era.
4 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Lack of talent is one thing, but lack of effort is another thing altogether.

It should not be tolerated whatsoever.

We have a team that has both problems, in abundance.

Anybody who expects a 100% about face next season might be disappointed.

105, I remember that.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Wonder what the Godfather thinks about this mess.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Blueman, how are doing?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

RI_Bred wrote: 1 month ago
Spook5365 wrote: 1 month ago 50 years of watching I’ve never seen a player get stripped by a defender, the defender dives , gets up and sprints to the ball and takes in for easy lay up. While our “player” jogs/walks after him. Then our “player” doesn’t get pulled for it. I’d rather see the 3 walk ons play than these shit bums. I’ve been saying we can’t overhaul the roster every season screw that get them outta here. A simple formula for me: If that “player” returns, I don’t.
Infuriating. Watching this unfold in real time was absolutely maddening. That inbounds "pass" from Zek where he effectively lobbed it to the St. Louis player was just surreal - I couldn't believe my eyes. He did get pulled for that but still, it was so nonchalant that it was just incomprehensible.
This team is like last year's - teams tortuous to watch play. Remember Bassy throwing the ball inbounds so off the mark it went way out of bounds giving VCU life when it appeared we had them beat!
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

This was painful...why do they even make these guys do this?
2 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I wish Archie would just say what we already know. These kids just don’t care or are just not talented enough to play the way I want to, and I’m too stubborn to find something that may work until I can get rid of them and try again with a new group.

If this losing steak was to lull other teams into a false sense of security for the A10 tourney and is all part of the plan, then we are doing great and we have the rest of the A10 right were we want them. Way to finish strong and build for next season!
Last edited by RIFan 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago Lack of talent is one thing, but lack of effort is another thing altogether.

It should not be tolerated whatsoever.

We have a team that has both problems, in abundance.

Anybody who expects a 100% about face next season might be disappointed.

105, I remember that.
What about those that expected a 100% about face 'this' season?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

208, a small improvement next season has to be expected. My God, if not Miller has to go after it.

Small incremental improvements over several years is simply not good enough, however.

We need to be in contention for a postseason berth by year 4.

No question, no excuses
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

DG , Fuchs and Cam definitely come back not sure if Arch wants any of the others back ?

Big Fou a healthy scratch yesterday ?
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

I expect Fou to hit submit on the portal at 12:01 the day the portal opens.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

section(105) wrote: 1 month ago I expect Fou to hit submit on the portal at 12:01 the day the portal opens.
Why is he waiting the extra minute. :)
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

spookydog wrote: 1 month ago
section(105) wrote: 1 month ago I expect Fou to hit submit on the portal at 12:01 the day the portal opens.
It would be too bad, I like his size and talent.
I feel he has plenty of potential, just needs to be coached up.
1 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 month ago
Can't play Foumena, he actually plays with emotion and a little physicality, we do not want the other guys to feel bad about their lack of both. Can't have that.

The only person on the team that plays with any sort of edge and glued to the bench. I do not get it. And Jersey77, you are a better person than me to still be on these boards and posting with all the BS you took because you thought they might not be as good as many expected. Clearly, and maybe sadly, your views have been vindicated. I do not think anybody saw it getting this bad but here we are.
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

4Diffs wrote: 1 month ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 month ago

Can't play Foumena, he actually plays with emotion and a little physicality, we do not want the other guys to feel bad about their lack of both. Can't have that.

The only person on the team that plays with any sort of edge and glued to the bench. I do not get it. And Jersey77, you are a better person than me to still be on these boards and posting with all the BS you took because you thought they might not be as good as many expected. Clearly, and maybe sadly, your views have been vindicated. I do not think anybody saw it getting this bad but here we are.
Yeah, I did take a little beating this past off-season about not drinking the Limoncello. :)
Especially when I felt Loyola would finish ahead of us and be a top half team.

Regarding Fou, athletically he does have the tools, maybe still a little raw, but the effort and desire is there.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

You were right on the money, Jersey. I didn’t think so but you are.

Shoot I had us at 18-13 and 9-9. Yikes! What was I smoking?

As for Fou, I agree with you. It is unfortunate how it has worked out for him here. I am pretty confident he is gone.

Carry on my fellow Ram fan. 👍🏼
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I like Fou. He did well vs lesser opponents and you can’t teach height. This is a huge upcoming offseason for him and his sophomore year will be huge. If he wants to keep moving around, it’s still a gamble.
0 x
GO RAMS
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I don’t recall NJ77 getting beat up. Ramster OTOH got crushed.

Ramster was bang on with his contest call sadly.

What a disaster and like I said it’s unsustainable and Parlange knows it. Our biggest real estate asset is going increasingly empty. Season ticket holder mutiny is crystal clear with 1/2 full seating in the choice seats on the sideline. The empty seat visual on national TV is horrible. The buzz about hoops is absolute zero.

It’s brutal. Unlike most of you I’m expecting changes.

We shall see.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!