3/2 | Saint Louis | 4:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Re: 3/2 | Saint Louis | 4:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Shinze88 wrote: 1 month ago I don't know if Archie is going to be able to navigate today's coaching landscape, but one thing I do know is that he needs to be able to recruit much better players to come here. I'm not sure any coach would be able to win with this collection of marginally talented players (that is the nicest way I can put it). Honestly, there are so many gaping holes on this team, there is really nothing we do well. We are horrendous in every defense scheme, man, zone, transition, we have very few shooters, no point guards, no interior presence outside of Fuchs, we turn it over at an alarming rate, and we cant shoot FT's. There is literally nothing we do well where an opposing coach needs to game plan for. On top of all the physical shortcomings, this team has the lowest basketball IQ of any Rhody team I've seen in years. I feel bad for our fans.
We don’t have defensive schemes mate.

Packline nothing but packline.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

We either give up a wide open layup, wide open 3, or foul. We simply have to pray St. Louis will miss free throws or an open shot.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Shinze88 wrote: 1 month ago I don't know if Archie is going to be able to navigate today's coaching landscape, but one thing I do know is that he needs to be able to recruit much better players to come here. I'm not sure any coach would be able to win with this collection of marginally talented players (that is the nicest way I can put it). Honestly, there are so many gaping holes on this team, there is really nothing we do well. We are horrendous in every defense scheme, man, zone, transition, we have very few shooters, no point guards, no interior presence outside of Fuchs, we turn it over at an alarming rate, and we cant shoot FT's. There is literally nothing we do well where an opposing coach needs to game plan for. On top of all the physical shortcomings, this team has the lowest basketball IQ of any Rhody team I've seen in years. I feel bad for our fans.
But other than that you're optimistic, right?
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Get one fucking stop!!!
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Let’s gooooooooooooooooo
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

How many plays can we half-ass?
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

We down 1 with 30 secs left !
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Frickin defensive rebounding disappears at the worst time.

Friggin roller coaster game!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Recruiting is hard.

Archie certainly knows.

He's brought in some real beauties.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 month ago We either give up a wide open layup, wide open 3, or foul. We simply have to pray St. Louis will miss free throws or an open shot.
Or give up an offensive rebound for a layup.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Arch took out Fuchs and guy got board over Tyson
1 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

PeteRI wrote: 1 month ago
Absolutely, outside of all the things I mentioned, were in good shape, right? I mean, there's alot to be optimistic about.
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Shinze88 wrote: 1 month ago
PeteRI wrote: 1 month ago
Absolutely, outside of all the things I mentioned, were in good shape, right? I mean, there's alot to be optimistic about.
Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

reef wrote: 1 month ago Arch took out Fuchs and guy got board over Tyson
Exactly, Reef. Bad move in hindsight.

Gave up O rebounds on successive possessions, I believe.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The thing I'm optimistic about is that this season is almost over.

And the ONLY thing that will help this clusterfuck is Archie bringing some LOT better talent in next season.
Last edited by rambone 78 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Down 94-91. 7.8 left our ball !
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Two years into Archie's tenure and we are still at ground zero.
Extremely disappointed and discouraged as there appears to be little to be hopeful about.
Last edited by RF1 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 month ago
reef wrote: 1 month ago Arch took out Fuchs and guy got board over Tyson
Exactly, Reef. Bad move in hindsight.
I don't think it would have mattered. Brown had to lay off his man because our perimeter defense is fucking awful. Either Brown tries to disrupt Jimerson's shot which he did well, or he stays on the big man and gives up a wide open layup. Either way, they were scoring.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Wow Green actually got a great look there to…
1 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

I’m just about done with Archie. 6 losses in a row.
2 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Unreal. Terrible team and season. Stick a fork in them.
3 x
rhodyram22
ARD

rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago The thing I'm optimistic about is that this season is almost over.

And the ONLY thing that will help this clusterfuck is Archie bringing some LOT better talent in next season.
Who the fuck would want to play here? I don’t understand how next year will be different than this one? It’ll be another roster overhaul minus a few players, and we’ll continue to be at the bottom of the A10 because of sub-average coaching. It’s not just the players. It’s the coaching too.
3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I am calling it now - this team will not win another game this season.
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Great look at a three to tie it. Damn.

The horror…the horror.

Archie and staff have a lot of work ahead of them. We need to get more talented players and some beneficial breaks before we climb into contention in the A10 in the future.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

rhodyram22 wrote: 1 month ago
rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago The thing I'm optimistic about is that this season is almost over.

Who the fuck would want to play here? I don’t understand how next year will be different than this one? It’ll be another roster overhaul minus a few players, and we’ll continue to be at the bottom of the A10 because of sub-average coaching. It’s not just the players. It’s the coaching too.
Third times the charm
2 x
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

So over this team and season , we stink !
4 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I give him next year.

Either recruit his ass off, or I'm done.

Has he really been a great recruiter, even at Dayton?

More spoiled food for thought.

With his demeanor, good luck.

Another 10-12 win season, and he should be fired, no doubt.
2 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 month ago
rhodyram22 wrote: 1 month ago

Third times the charm
lol yeah, ok.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago I give him next year.
Yeah not so sure about that if team loses out. This level of losing is IMO unsustainable.

Storm clouds are brewing
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Just gave up 94 points to the 14th ranked team in your conference. Can't wait to hear Archie talk about the Packline D again in the postgame.
1 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Wash, rinse, repeat.
Same old song and dance.
What else??
Main reason I am pissed is the 2 total lack of hustle plays by green and Montgomery where St. Louis guys were behind them and came up with the loose ball. It's the theme for this team.
3 x
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

reef wrote: 1 month ago So over this team and season , we stink !
I tell myself I’m not going to watch, but I keep getting sucked in, and disappointed
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think it's amazing that a coach can be so stubborn and inflexible when it comes to his defensive philosophy.

It's obvious his players can't or wont play it, yet he keeps trying it

Good coaches change things up when they dont work

Archie hardly ever does.
1 x
BruceW
Michael Andersen

Unread post by BruceW »

Montgomery was lethargic and distant . He watched things happen rather than respond. Oh my. Don’t know what Kortright was thinking at the end. The same things that have plagued us all year. They reared their ugly head again. Opponents offensive rebounding , foul shooting and not guarding against 3 pointers better. And all is a direct slap to Archie. My feeling is the college game has passed him bye and he still hasn’t caught up.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ram1980 wrote: 1 month ago Wash, rinse, repeat.
Same old song and dance.
What else??
Main reason I am pissed is the 2 total lack of hustle plays by green and Montgomery where St. Louis guys were behind them and came up with the loose ball. It's the theme for this team.
Yeah the one by Zek was horrendous, their guy wanted it more and stole 2 points from us , pathetic
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Worst team in the A10 in Archie’s second year.
2 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

You can’t not compare the job of Archie vs Martin

Hired at same time. Both established coaches with ncaa success.

Martin has established an identity. Recruited personnel to it. And has Umass with their best year in a decade. We have none of the above.
5 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Wow, we stink! Looking more and more like Archie’s plan, whatever it was…sucked.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Archie proved at Dayton that the packline works.

If he has the talent to play it.

That's physical and mental talent, the entire package

His team is largely bereft of that ability. Yes, they can score but defense is beyond them, along with FT shooting. Archie told us that we would have a team that has a high BB IQ also. Another major fail.

Do we want Archie around after next season if there is minimal improvement?

I'm tired of kicking the can down the road.

There are so many issues, it's hard to count them all.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

We’ll be good when, we’re good.
1 x
GO RAMS
Donrxer79
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Donrxer79 »

ram1980 wrote: 1 month ago Wash, rinse, repeat.
Same old song and dance.
What else??
My God, I almost broke the seat in front of me on those 2 plays. Absolutely no excuse for that. It wasn't a 50/50 ball, it was a 90/10 ball in our favor and SLU still came up with it. Lack of caring and no pride.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 month ago We’ll be good when, we’re good.
I may be in the minority here, but I didn’t like when he said that.

Whatever, I’ll be in Kingston early November against Sacred Heart convinced we have a shot at the tournament.
6 x
Go Rhody
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

2 games left in the season and I still do not know what our defensive strategy is on a basic pick and roll. Dan and Cox hedged the pick with our big man and double teamed the player with ball to prevent the easy pass to the big man.

I can’t recall a single play today where we did this very basic defensive strategy. The result was open shots or big man getting rebounds.
What am I missing?
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago I think it's amazing that a coach can be so stubborn and inflexible when it comes to his defensive philosophy.

It's obvious his players can't or wont play it, yet he keeps trying it

Good coaches change things up when they dont work

Archie hardly ever does.
Bone, I get where you are coming from. This season is extremely frustrating but I am not so sure it is the scheme. The packline is essentially a sagging man to man. Most of our players have probably played man to man most of their playing careers so they should be able to play the packline adequately enough to win games when your O is scoring in the 80’s.

I just think that this is a collection of poor defensive players. They have low D IQ, they are slow athletically, below average leapers at the major college level, slow to react, don’t anticipate well, can’t stay focused, have inconsistent effort on D, etc. It is almost as if they are intentionally adverse to playing D as a group -if that is possible.

Our players are just flat out below average major college defenders as a group regardless of the D philosophy.

That said, it is up to Archie and the staff to fill the program with players that have the ability and characteristics to play D at this level. They clearly haven’t done that with the most recent group they brought in. Archie and staff either overestimated the players ability to play D at this level or over estimated their ability to coach up poor defenders.

Not good either way. The staff flat out failed. They have to fix it by bringing in players capable of playing D at the major college level without sacrificing too much O.

Archie and the staff have a lot of work to do.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Some changes need to happen this is just unacceptable
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Archie is more likely to be gone before we're good.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

McRam wrote: 1 month ago 2 games left in the season and I still do not know what our defensive strategy is on a basic pick and roll. Dan and Cox hedged the pick with our big man and double teamed the player with ball to prevent the easy pass to the big man.

I can’t recall a single play today where we did this very basic defensive strategy. The result was open shots or big man getting rebounds.
What am I missing?
I actually thought were a few occasions today where Fuchs was effective defending ball screens and in rotations. As far as everyone else, pfffft.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago Archie proved at Dayton that the packline works.

If he has the talent to play it.

That's physical and mental talent, the entire package

His team is largely bereft of that ability. Yes, they can score but defense is beyond them, along with FT shooting. Archie told us that we would have a team that has a high BB IQ also. Another major fail.

Do we want Archie around after next season if there is minimal improvement?

I'm tired of kicking the can down the road.

There are so many issues, it's hard to count them all.
I’m thinking Arch is probably going to get a full 4 seasons to get us back on track , I wouldn’t expect any firing after year 3 unless it’s something like a 13-18 and 6-12 conf then I guess its possible but unlikely
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

29 games into the season, and we have 2 or 3 players that can play decent defense.

You can't make this stuff up.

The off season is usually a time for hope and anticipation toward next season.

Right now it's more like trepidation.

Reef, URI just doesn't fire coaches with at least 2 years left on their contract.

Even with only 1 year left, it takes booster intervention to finance a buyout.

No matter how bad it gets. I dont like it, but its life as a URI fan.

I agree that he should be canned if next season isnt much better than this one. But he wont be.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

bigappleram wrote: 1 month ago
McRam wrote: 1 month ago 2 games left in the season and I still do not know what our defensive strategy is on a basic pick and roll. Dan and Cox hedged the pick with our big man and double teamed the player with ball to prevent the easy pass to the big man.

What am I missing?
Bar, I’ve noticed improvement from him in that area as the season has progressed. That is a silver lining and bodes well for him next season and for the team.

Still, this team ( collectively and individual players ) has so much work to do before it can be adequate on D at this level, never mind above average or good.

I still think Archie will get us there but it will take longer than I expected.That is very frustrating. Losing sucks.

I actually thought were a few occasions today where Fuchs was effective defending ball screens and in rotations. As far as everyone else, pfffft.
0 x