2/28 | VCU | 6:30PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2/28 | VCU | 6:30PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by Rhody15 »

BruceW wrote: 1 month ago Dubsky has a stat sheet 1 rebound, 1 block and 0 steals in 72 minutes. That might be true but statistics are deceiving. Most of the 72 minutes until recently were played during a “ garbage time” scenario. This kid might blossom.
His last four games, all blowouts / majority was garbage time.
Attachments
IMG_7358.jpeg
0 x
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That 1 block Dubs recorded was a nice one last night
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote: 1 month ago
Rhody15 wrote: 1 month ago
theblueram wrote: 1 month ago

Imagine not being intelligent enough to actually read my post and realize what was said. But since your light is flickering, my goal each season is At Large bids. A flash in the pan, 1 bid league type of AQ is not my goal. Damn, you are just not very literate.
How is your goal not winning the conference tournament?

Every single coaches goal is to win their conference tournament.

Leave absolutely no doubt.
My goal is the NCAAT. An at large bid secures that regardless if you win a tournament. Comprende?
I get it Theblueram, what you mean..z
I’ll take either of course AQ or At-Large

My thinking on At-Large is you likely need to be higher ranked in NET and/or Conference/Overall Win/Loss than the team that wins the A10 Tournament.

Like Dayton this year NET 20 can get At Large if they lose in Conference Championship.
All other 15 need to win-out since the next best is around NET 70

I find we can spend a ton of time following other conferences, other teams through the season hoping they lose or we want PC to win all their games so our win or loss to PC looks better. It’s complicated.

Be like Dayton. NET= 20 great
Be like Dayton. NET= 20 AND win the Conference Tournament!!

Plus get the best possible seed like a 4-seed or 5-seed!!!

A10 has had 1 NCAA win since Hurley 6 years ago. We need A10 teams to not just make the NCAA but get seeds and win games.

Same page. Let’s do it!!
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

BruceW wrote: 1 month ago Dubsky has a stat sheet 1 rebound, 1 block and 0 steals in 72 minutes. That might be true but statistics are deceiving. Most of the 72 minutes until recently were played during a “ garbage time” scenario. This kid might blossom.
I don't really disagree.

Also, I think I remember Archie saying at some point that he was slowed this season by an undisclosed illness.

Besides, he has played so little and when he did come in, it was just very limited sporadic moments.

Not sure if he ever really got the opportunity to get into a flow.

Archie probably felt he just hasn't been ready to contribute.

I think he would have been better served to just RS this season.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

The fact that he's not getting those stats in garbage time is worse. He's just in there chucking up shots, which is fine, but you'd think he'd manage to get to a couple of boards too. The only scholarship player I could think of that might have had less rebounds in very limited playing time was Tyrese Sullivan - He was a Baron-era recruit, and he indeed had 0 rebounds in 35 minutes his freshman year. He was also a 5'8" point guard. I realize I'm kind of parsing a really small sample size here, but it's always not a great sign when guys acquire pretty much zero stats in non-zero playing time.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 month ago
The fact that he's not getting those stats in garbage time is worse. He's just in there chucking up shots, which is fine, but you'd think he'd manage to get to a couple of boards too. The only scholarship player I could think of that might have had less rebounds in very limited playing time was Tyrese Sullivan - He was a Baron-era recruit, and he indeed had 0 rebounds in 35 minutes his freshman year. He was also a 5'8" point guard. I realize I'm kind of parsing a really small sample size here, but it's always not a great sign when guys acquire pretty much zero stats in non-zero playing time.
On a possible 15th place team in the A10
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 month ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 1 month ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 month ago

We've played other teams with injury problems, sometimes without their best player. If we were totally healthy and the teams we played were totally healthy, I actually think our record would be worse than it is now.
😂

So it's more likely we'd be worse healthy? Never heard of that suggestion before in my life.

We were NEVER healthy or had every player eligible and available the entire year.

Which is my point. How do we know how little or how much that effected us? 11 new players and they have collectively missed 51 games. Recipe for a crappy season.

The injuries alone are bad, but I don't know how you all can't see how much that can amplify how much of a struggle it's been for the coaches and players to get in any groove considering it's almost an entirely new team.

It just seems logically unreasonable to be that down on this group considering I've never heard of any team that's accomplished anything meaningful under similar circumstances.
PRT, it appears that you are trying to deflect some of the blame for this season away from the staff or make excuses for them.
I don't feel that any of the injuries or unforeseen circumstances that we experienced this year would even be remotely close to be considered a season breaker.

Much of what we went through wasn't any different than what other teams dealt with and actually to a much lesser degree than several others.

No need to defend Archie because none of us feel that a coaching change is necessary or makes sense at this point.

Of course we all are a little disappointed but that comes with the territory of being a Rhody fan.
Hardly any team has had it worse. Who are all these teams?

SLU has maybe had worse and that's why they are a dumpster fire lol They still brought back more players from last years team than we did. VCU is fairly similar, but they still brought back Zeb Jackson and players that had played under their coach at Utah State.

VCU players have missed a total of 26 games including Joe Bamisile's ineligible games. Joe played immedistely unlike DG who was INJURED.

Dayton had their PG go down, yes a big deal, but they brought back their core players and haven't had a single player miss a game.

I could keep going, but there aren't SEVERAL teams with worse injury issues than us. And again, we had significant injury and eligibility problems along with an entirely new team. OF COURSE we are struggling mightily.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 month ago re: Dubsky, he kind of looks like short Rory Stewart to me so far, or Matthew Butler. Like if a dude at the end of the bench can hit a couple threes in garbage time but is otherwise unplayable, he oddly attracts more attention than other types of players. If he wants to stick around another year, then fine - You can squint and say "well he's a freshman, maybe he'll get better." But I'm not sure if he's ever going to be athletic enough to play in the A-10. He has 1 rebound, 1 block and 0 steals in 72 minutes.
I'm with you so far, not sure what the mild interest is... lots of kids can shoot a three. That's great in high school. Maybe I'm missing something.

Nothing against the kid at all...just not impressed (yet)?)...
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

😂

So it's more likely we'd be worse healthy? Never heard of that suggestion before in my life.

We were NEVER healthy or had every player eligible and available the entire year.

Which is my point. How do we know how little or how much that effected us? 11 new players and they have collectively missed 51 games. Recipe for a crappy season.

The injuries alone are bad, but I don't know how you all can't see how much that can amplify how much of a struggle it's been for the coaches and players to get in any groove considering it's almost an entirely new team.

It just seems logically unreasonable to be that down on this group considering I've never heard of any team that's accomplished anything meaningful under similar circumstances.
PRT, it appears that you are trying to deflect some of the blame for this season away from the staff or make excuses for them.
I don't feel that any of the injuries or unforeseen circumstances that we experienced this year would even be remotely close to be considered a season breaker.

Much of what we went through wasn't any different than what other teams dealt with and actually to a much lesser degree than several others.

No need to defend Archie because none of us feel that a coaching change is necessary or makes sense at this point.

Of course we all are a little disappointed but that comes with the territory of being a Rhody fan.

SLU has maybe had worse and that's why they are a dumpster fire lol They still brought back more players from last years team than we did. VCU is fairly similar, but they still brought back Zeb Jackson and players that had played under their coach at Utah State.

VCU players have missed a total of 26 games including Joe Bamisile's ineligible games. Joe played immedistely unlike DG who was INJURED.

Dayton had their PG go down, yes a big deal, but they brought back their core players and haven't had a single player miss a game.

I could keep going, but there aren't SEVERAL teams with worse injury issues than us. And again, we had significant injury and eligibility problems along with an entirely new team. OF COURSE we are struggling mightily.
You’re the only one on this island man.

Literally nobody agrees with you.

Refs and injuries are to blame for this season according to you.
0 x
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I'm actually not.

I'm only saying that it just one of the reasons why.

How that is dismissed is beyond all comprehension to me.

We flipped an entire roster and brought back practically nothing and our contributing players have missed FIFTY ONE FUCKING GAMES

And nope, that hasn't hurt us at all this year. There have been no consequences because of that. No way could that could possibly be detrimental to having a successful team 😂
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I'm actually not.

I'm only saying that it just one of the reasons why.

How that is dismissed is beyond all comprehension to me.

We flipped an entire roster and brought back practically nothing and our contributing players have missed FIFTY ONE FUCKING GAMES

And nope, that hasn't hurt us at all this year. There have been no consequences because of that. No way could that could possibly be detrimental to having a successful team 😂
House, Kortright, Brown - 28/28 games

Zek, Foumena, Cam - 27/28 games

Always - 24/28 games

Weston, Fuchs - 23/28 games

Green - 15/16 games - cannot count the games he was ineligible, he was denied a waiver..he obviously was not the only one who couldn’t initially play

Bilau hasn’t been healthy his entire career. If you actually expected him to play all year, sure count his games missed. I’m not.

Those numbers above are not drastic yet you’re acting like they are.
0 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

😂

PRT, first of all I won't even put Bilau in the equation.
He has barely played any Div. 1 basketball, we weren't even sure of his availability after his surgery or what type of impact he would even have this season. The few limited minutes he did play were basically inconsequential.

None of our core players missed substantial time which would have really impacted our season.

Several teams were without their top player when they faced us.

Dayton lost All-Conference PG Smith for the entire season, but the HC had assembled enough depth to help compensate for it.

VCU was without pre-season All- Conference forward Bairstow for a major part of the season.

Davidson has lost leading scorer and starting center Skogman for the rest of the season.

Almost every other team in the conference has missed either their top or core players at some point during this season.

I will never blame the results of this year on injuries and guess what neither would Archie.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Yeah, I don't think our injuries have hurt us much. Having Green likely means a couple more wins. However, would teams know how to defend him by the time we reached A10 play if he played all year? He likely caught the A10 by surprise when he went off early, and once teams scouted us and figured out how to slow him down, he has been up and down. The problem with this team is defense, not injuries. It doesn't matter who plays or who's out; one thing has been consistent. We have one of the worst defensive teams in the country. We need some serious upgrades in our starting 5, and we need our freshmen to make a jump. We have to do a lot to turn things around and I don't think it will magically happen next year.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 month ago Yeah, I don't think our injuries have hurt us much. Having Green likely means a couple more wins. However, would teams know how to defend him by the time we reached A10 play if he played all year? He likely caught the A10 by surprise when he went off early, and once teams scouted us and figured out how to slow him down, he has been up and down. The problem with this team is defense, not injuries. It doesn't matter who plays or who's out; one thing has been consistent. We have one of the worst defensive teams in the country. We need some serious upgrades in our starting 5, and we need our freshmen to make a jump. We have to do a lot to turn things around and I don't think it will magically happen next year.
Yes Stevey, I agree.

I didn't even include Green because I considered him becoming eligible just a bonus.

Had Bam of been available all season for VCU, I think he would have impacted their OOC record, and they may have been in the discussion for an at-large. But again, him playing now is just a bonus for them.
Last edited by Jersey77 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RI_Bred wrote: 1 month ago
Rhody15 wrote: 1 month ago It doesn’t mean much with everyone having next season to play, and the ability to change their minds in the coming months, but will be interesting if anyone gets “honored” on Senior Night.
Gonna be awkward either way...
If eligible to be honored...if you're "a senior" and it's "Senior Night", go for it. Everyone knows that has nothing to do with if you're hooping it, or not, here or elsewhere next year. You're a senior, it's senior night, get the family out there and celebrate you made it this far. Many don't.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 month ago
Rhody15 wrote: 1 month ago It doesn’t mean much with everyone having next season to play, and the ability to change their minds in the coming months, but will be interesting if anyone gets “honored” on Senior Night.
If eligible to be honored...if you're "a senior" and it's "Senior Night", go for it. Everyone knows that has nothing to do with if you're hooping it, or not, here or elsewhere next year. You're a senior, it's senior night, get the family out there and celebrate you made it this far. Many don't.
True NYG.

House, Green, and Luis have all been in school 4 years but not sure, through the transfer process, if they all have the credits to graduate.

Bilau is finishing his 5th year so I assume he will graduate, even though he has more seasons of eligibility, would he even want to return with all his injury issues.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

luke wrote: 1 month ago Wait , this isn't all on the coach . It seems to be that Archie bears responsibility for the type of players he brought to URI . After that it is on every
player that cannot even motivate themselves to play hard on defense . It is a complete lack of effort on most of the players . i give the freshman a pass
because they have to learn and understand that that they have to commit to play to total exhaustion at this level . Many of the more experienced players
know it , but apparently they do not have enough pride in themselves to push themselves to play harder and get better on defense which is all about
effort and concentration and the will to win and to hate losing . Player who don't have the desire to work harder to get better have to go if the coach
can expect for the team to improve , and their replacements must have that fire in them and at least come with basic skills . Proper defensive technique
passing skills and at least a history of very good free throw shooting are a must , as well as a proper level of value for possession of the ball .
That means have court awareness of the opposing players on both offense and defense . Know where you are going to pass the ball before you pass
and don't try pass through traffic . And I can't believe how many times players have stepped out of bounds while not being closely guarded . why is
that a thing nowadays ? URI is not the only team guilty of this . In the end the simplest solution is to find players who are fundamentally sound
when they arrive . Trying to teach players at this level is a losing proposition . Thankfully ,I think the new incoming freshmen appear to fit that mold .
Luke I hear you but who brought these guys in here? Archie
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Totally agree, believe me. Our daughter played D3 and graduated in four years, senior night was awesome and emotional for us. Put a cap on a long run since elementary school. It just feels weird with all the transfer stuff and extra eligibility now. But for the players and families it's great and important.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Totally agree, believe me. Our daughter played D3 and graduated in four years, senior night was awesome and emotional for us. Put a cap on a long run since elementary school. It just feels weird with all the transfer stuff and extra eligibility now. But for the players and families it's great and important.
And, if the worst thing that happens to you is that you end up having two senior nights, in either the same or different places, well, God bless you, that's pretty good
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

Jeremy Sheppard I believe had 2 Senior Nights 2021 and 2022.
0 x