Pregame options

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: Pregame options

Unread post by reef »

Masonfan wrote: 2 months ago
reef wrote: 2 months ago Jordan Miller is a Clipper now , where is Xavier Johnson ?
SIU and 3rd in the nation in scoring, his little brother is at UCF playing for his godfather, Johnny Dawkins.

Do you all know which former URI player is the godfather of a former Mason player?
No idea , who is it ?
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Masonfan wrote: 2 months ago Greetings - Mason alum/fan here - I come in peace!

I'm making my first ever trip to URI (and the entire state for that matter) with my 4 year old next week and was wondering if there was a spot near the arena for pregame meal/drinks, or if getting to the arena at 6pm and having crap concourse food is best option. Any hospitality rooms I can buy my way into?

Thanks in advance - happy to answer any substantive questions about our team in exchange for pregame information, sarcastic/dickhead responses are welcome also ;)
PJ’s Pub on Boon St in Narragansett. They do open at 4pm but owners are URI alums and huge Rhody Fans/supporters.it is Mediterranean (Greek & Italian) with a lot of specials. May not work before game time due to scheduling but maybe check out for dinner.
Last edited by Taylor Swift 2 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Rhody15 wrote: 2 months ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 months ago

I'm making my first ever trip to URI (and the entire state for that matter) with my 4 year old next week and was wondering if there was a spot near the arena for pregame meal/drinks, or if getting to the arena at 6pm and having crap concourse food is best option. Any hospitality rooms I can buy my way into?

Thanks in advance - happy to answer any substantive questions about our team in exchange for pregame information, sarcastic/dickhead responses are welcome also ;)
People are giving you absolutely terrible options because they're ignoring that you're coming with a 4 year old. If you were coming alone or with other adults they'd all be fine suggestions.

The answer is Albie's Place. It's right across the street from campus, it's got a big enough menu that you and your 4 year old should both be able to find something you want, and it's good enough that you'll be thankful you went there instead of getting food at the game. If you want to do Shaidzon Albie's will also deliver there, so now you're killing two birds with one stone

https://www.albiesplace.com/menu/

https://shaidzonbeer.com/west-kingston- ... -food-menu
…are you insinuating a 4 year old can’t handle/shouldn’t go to a casual place like Mews/any other restaurant?
Albie’s literally puts french fries in grinders 🤣🤣 this is one time I agree with you, 15! Any kid can handle Mews.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

I have a question Mason fan, but first let me say that I think Tony Skinn was an excellent hire.

Multi-transfer Jalen Haynes was considered to be one of the top transfer bigs to the A10.
Yet once declared eligible with the court order and pending lawsuit he still decided to RS.
Was that because of the strong play of Amari Kelly and depth with Newton and Henry, he didn't want to waste a year of eligibility?

With the talented youth of Hall and Okojie and hopefully a healthy Dinkins, Mason should be pretty solid going forward, especially if Maddox and Polite decide to return.
Last edited by Jersey77 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Masonfan
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Masonfan »

Trivia answer: Lamar Odom is the godfather of Mason great/CAA player of the year Ryan Pearson.

Haynes: I think I was the first to post on our Boards after the WV court decision that we might be seeing Haynes in our next game. I believe he may have even dressed (as opposed to the street clothes he is always in), but obviously didn’t play.

Tony mentioned in his presser that the plan was always for him to sit for the year, that’s what they discussed when he transferred with the understanding he would not likely be given a waiver, so that’s what they stuck with it. Was a non-issue after that and Im not aware of any further explanation. Don’t think it had anything to do with Kelly’s play - which we have all been pleasantly surprised by.
0 x
Masonfan
Frenchy Tomlin

We are all VERY excited with the prospect of returning everyone except Woods and Kelly, who will be replaced by Haynes.

The expectation is that Dinkins will likely transfer, but nowadays you have no idea who stays/goes.
0 x
JFrech21
Jeff Kent

Unread post by JFrech21 »

Like many others have stated, the Mews is the way to go. I worked there when I was at URI and now my young kids (ages 2 through 8) love it here.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Masonfan wrote: 1 month ago We are all VERY excited with the prospect of returning everyone except Woods and Kelly, who will be replaced by Haynes.

The expectation is that Dinkins will likely transfer, but nowadays you have no idea who stays/goes.
I know Dinkins was a top HS PG recruit in DC and did average double-digit minutes his freshman year before getting injured, but Okojie is having a solid season.

Jalen Haynes should be a solid replacement for Kelly.

If they return their core from this season, Mason can contend in 24-25.
1 x
Masonfan
Frenchy Tomlin

Jersey77 wrote: 1 month ago
Masonfan wrote: 1 month ago We are all VERY excited with the prospect of returning everyone except Woods and Kelly, who will be replaced by Haynes.

I know Dinkins was a top HS PG recruit in DC and did average double-digit minutes his freshman year before getting injured, but Okojie is having a solid season.

Jalen Haynes should be a solid replacement for Kelly.

If they return their core from this season, Mason can contend in 24-25.
I have always been high on Dinkins, more so than most (if not all) other fans on our Boards. There is more to that story, but no one really expects him to ever play for Mason again.
0 x
Masonfan
Frenchy Tomlin

Can't thank you all enough for the thorough recommendations, I've settled on an itinerary. All day Tuesday we will be in Newport doing as much as we can of the wharf, cliff walk and historic mansions, finishing the day with dinner at White Horse Tavern where my son will be dining on their finest plain white rice and vanilla ice cream.

Wednesday/game day we are going to an early lunch at Coast Guard House, then beach/playground, followed by early dinner at Mews before heading to arena. I've recruited a couple other Mason travelers to join me at Mews. I will be obnoxiously dressed in Mason gear (I generally stick out by my Mason shoes) and will likely be the only Mason fan with a 4 year old, feel free to say hi if you see us!
5 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Masonfan wrote: 1 month ago Can't thank you all enough for the thorough recommendations, I've settled on an itinerary. All day Tuesday we will be in Newport doing as much as we can of the wharf, cliff walk and historic mansions, finishing the day with dinner at White Horse Tavern where my son will be dining on their finest plain white rice and vanilla ice cream.

Wednesday/game day we are going to an early lunch at Coast Guard House, then beach/playground, followed by early dinner at Mews before heading to arena. I've recruited a couple other Mason travelers to join me at Mews. I will be obnoxiously dressed in Mason gear (I generally stick out by my Mason shoes) and will likely be the only Mason fan with a 4 year old, feel free to say hi if you see us!
Great restaurant choices. The White Horse is the oldest restaurant in the U.S. and one of the oldest in the world. It's also rumored to be haunted....if you like that kind of stuff. :lol:
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 month ago
Masonfan wrote: 1 month ago Can't thank you all enough for the thorough recommendations, I've settled on an itinerary. All day Tuesday we will be in Newport doing as much as we can of the wharf, cliff walk and historic mansions, finishing the day with dinner at White Horse Tavern where my son will be dining on their finest plain white rice and vanilla ice cream.

Great restaurant choices. The White Horse is the oldest restaurant in the U.S. and one of the oldest in the world. It's also rumored to be haunted....if you like that kind of stuff. :lol:
Oh, and regarding the mansions, they are spectacular. But my favorite one is one of the more modest ones called Rough Point. That was owned by Doris Duke. Her life is quite the story. And to somehow loosely tie that back into basketball, I'm guessing you've heard of that university in North Carolina created by Doris' father and named after her grandfather.
3 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

That sounds like a pretty solid itinerary! Enjoy the trip!
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Sounds like a good plan and hope you enjoy the visit except for the results of the game. ;)
3 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Oh, and regarding the mansions, they are spectacular. But my favorite one is one of the more modest ones called Rough Point. That was owned by Doris Duke. Her life is quite the story. And to somehow loosely tie that back into basketball, I'm guessing you've heard of that university in North Carolina created by Doris' father and named after her grandfather.
My buddy from home went to Salve at the same time I was at URI...I remember hanging out on the cliff walk - we'd go by the Doris Duke estate and there were live camels grazing in the back "yard". An ode to Camel cigarettes at the time. Crazy!
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RI_Bred wrote: 1 month ago
My buddy from home went to Salve at the same time I was at URI...I remember hanging out on the cliff walk - we'd go by the Doris Duke estate and there were live camels grazing in the back "yard". An ode to Camel cigarettes at the time. Crazy!
Yes, she had 2 pet camels. She was, as they say, eccentric. Now the bushes in the yard are carved out in camel shapes.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Yes, she had 2 pet camels. She was, as they say, eccentric. Now the bushes in the yard are carved out in camel shapes.
There's a huge mirror in the back room that faces the ocean. The mirror has a huge crack in it. The story is that one of her camels strolled in one day, saw a reflection of itself in the mirror, freaked out and charged the mirror. There are tons of stories about Doris. Some are great, some are weird, some are bad (like murder). But she donated millions of dollars to the Newport Preservation Society and she's the reason so many historic buildings in Newport survived.
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Did you ever jump the cliff at Dukes?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 1 month ago
No. Isn't it all rocky below? Not that I would have anyway. :lol:
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Yes it is but growing up people jumped all the time. Very dangerous though.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I used to jump off the cliffs at Fort Weatherwill in Jamestown. Coach Thomas at NK found out I was doing it and told me he wouldn't play me if he heard I ever jumped again. A few weeks later another kid around my age did it and tragically got stuck in the current and passed away. I took that as a sign and never did it again.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Coast Guard is great. I wish they had more options for brunch. It's basically a dinner menu all day. If you ever want a great breakfast in Newport, Benjamins has Alaskan king crab, and it's incredible. In my opinion, if you want a nice brunch on the water, go to Ocean Mist. It's about a 20-minute ride from the Ryan Center. They have a great breakfast/brunch menu until 2 PM. But the Coast Guard is a beautiful place, too.
https://www.oceanmist.net/

Fun fact, I was Benjamins one night and Fordham fans were in the area. So we listened to the game on the radio, and it felt like we would lose. They were jokingly rubbing it in. Then we came back, and Gill hit a game-winner at the buzzer. It was a blast!
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Masonfan
Frenchy Tomlin

I saw the picture of the lobster roll on the menu and was sold on Coast Guard (plus the view and proximity to beach)
4 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Coast Guard House is elite dining experience we love it especially mid week in the winter. Quiet, nice!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I jumped off the escape bridge in Portsmouth and the Nanaquaket Bridge in Tiverton. Those were high enough for me. :D
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Masonfan wrote: 1 month ago I saw the picture of the lobster roll on the menu and was sold on Coast Guard (plus the view and proximity to beach)
They will be happy you made the trip up here! Hope you’re enjoying RI.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Masonfan wrote: 2 months ago Should have specified - but I was mostly wondering if there is a place that has any fan atmosphere before the game. I'm not worried about any places not being appropriate for my 4 yo, he can hang.

English and Oduro - funny, was just having a text conversation this morning with a friend/alum who lives in NY and he was asking why so many of our fans are so salty towards English. I told him English was never anything but friendly and engaging with me, but I think a lot of fans 1) got a used car salesmen vibe from him that was reinforced when he left after less than 24 months on campus, and 2) bitterness b/c his potential accomplishments at Mason that we all envisioned when he was hired never happened.

It's really a mixed bag of emotions/feelings towards Kim from our fan base, many wish him well (particularly the large donors who would have been involved or privy to whatever offer we tried to make to him to stay) and many wish him ill. My personal opinion, he took a $ offer no reasonable person in his position wouldn’t have taken. I don't wish him ill, though the bitter part of me may want to, but I also am not rooting for him going forward. He didn't even fulfill his initial contract term before jumping ship, so he isn't really relevant to me as a Mason fan anymore. I know Paulsen better, and I do wish him well and will follow and root for him if he can make Holy Cross worth following.

Oduro - love the kid and wish him the absolute best. He is a local product that was hardly recruited at all and worked his ass off to become the player he is. Nothing but a great kid by all accounts. He put in his four years and I can't fault him for taking the opportunity to play in the Big East and hopefully the NCAAT. Will root for him hardcore in NCAAT if they make it.
Mason fan,
Thanks for sharing
I watched as you won your 7th straight game beating Richmond at Barclays last March
Also watched when you lost the next game by 28 points to 4-seed St Louis.
I think English got a great opportunity at PC. Thought PC could have gone for Pitino and some other more experienced HC’s. English could almost do no wrong with the fans and the media because they were all so mad (and still are) at Cooley.

Justyn Fernandes did not impress me much, especially in the loss to SLU. Wonder if English felt he needed a year to prepare for Big East competition? Maybe more to the injury?
What did you think of Fernandes?

Tony Skinn got you in a good place quickly. You could challenge for the Semi-Finals and could win the whole thing as I think up to 10 teams have a shot and could really be crazy if Dayton falters early.

I don’t think mentioned yet but Matunuck Oyster Bar is very good. Big sponsor of URI as you will see many pictures at T.F. Green Airport promoting MOB plus signs in the Ryan Center. They grow their own Oysters in the adjacent pond to the Restaurant. Plus they serve other Oysters too and great lobster rolls. Plus they grow much of their own vegetables in season.

Brenton Point State Park is great in Newport

https://www.riparks.com/parks/brenton.php

Sachuest Point is a wonderful walk and they have an excellent building to visit. We love walking the paths through the refuge and wonderful views of the ocean. It’s in Middletown close to Newport

https://www.fws.gov/refuge/sachuest-point
IMG_2429.png
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

No, but we jumped off of 40 steps further towards First Beach in full kitchen cook attire, pulling doubles every day the Tall Ships were in town...had to be like 1991-92? Crazy summer!
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 month ago

I used to jump off the cliffs at Fort Weatherwill in Jamestown. Coach Thomas at NK found out I was doing it and told me he wouldn't play me if he heard I ever jumped again. A few weeks later another kid around my age did it and tragically got stuck in the current and passed away. I took that as a sign and never did it again.
Yeah, Weatherall, 12 O’Clock High and Dukes. Dangerous stuff. Had a friend jump Dukes and was paralyzed.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I jumped off the escape bridge in Portsmouth and the Nanaquaket Bridge in Tiverton. Those were high enough for me. :D
I jumped off the Newport Bridge 😂. Seriously.
0 x
Masonfan
Frenchy Tomlin

I grew up on a lake and maybe have jumped off a few of those 15-25 ft high bridges, but you all are nuts! ;)

Fernandez - elite athlete with a good shot, but wasn’t ready to play big minutes as a freshmen. I remember defense being a big factor in that, but he certainly showed flashes. I believe he is far and away the highest ranked recruit we have ever signed.

He had a significant injury before this season even started that took him out for the year from what I understand- so that is why he is redshirting this year. If not for the injury, I would expect him to at least be getting bench minutes for Providence.

Thanks for the additional recommendations!
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

https://www.thenewportbuzz.com/a-rite-o ... wport/5519

In case you need some adventure whilst in Newport 🤣
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I grew up in Tiverton, so I didn't start going to Newport until I was around 18 to hit the bars on Thames St. and around town.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I grew up in Tiverton, so I didn't start going to Newport until I was around 18 to hit the bars on Thames St. and around town.
Blueram, that explains a lot!
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Masonfan
Frenchy Tomlin

You all should be feeling much much better about your chances against Mason on Wednesday - tea leaves are saying Hall has basically quit since he got his last NIL payment and is now turning his attention to his next NIL deal. He is not expected to ever play for Mason again.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Masonfan wrote: 1 month ago You all should be feeling much much better about your chances against Mason on Wednesday - tea leaves are saying Hall has basically quit since he got his last NIL payment and is now turning his attention to his next NIL deal. He is not expected to ever play for Mason again.
Wow and he avg 17 ppg , he will be a problem for URI
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Masonfan wrote: 1 month ago You all should be feeling much much better about your chances against Mason on Wednesday - tea leaves are saying Hall has basically quit since he got his last NIL payment and is now turning his attention to his next NIL deal. He is not expected to ever play for Mason again.
Hey Mason Fan, just wondering if you have any idea what his NIL deal is at Mason?
0 x
Masonfan
Frenchy Tomlin

McRam wrote: 1 month ago
Hey Mason Fan, just wondering if you have any idea what his NIL deal is at Mason?
$110k
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

He probably got a dose of reality after seeing what the take home amount is on the $110K and automatically thought…”Dang! I need a raise pronto. “. :lol:
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I’m all for NIL, but this will start happening more.

Low/mid major kids already having their next destination picked with NIL and will sit out rest of the current season to not risk injury.
0 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 1 month ago

Low/mid major kids already having their next destination picked with NIL and will sit out rest of the current season to not risk injury.
Why bother watching then? Same will happen with P5. Basically, it's killing amateur NCAA basketball. Football too. At least the MLB has a farm league. And pays for it. NBA and NFL are getting a free ride.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Masonfan wrote: 1 month ago
$110k
If you’re getting paid 110k for the season isn’t it the entire season? Sounds like breach of contract to me.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 month ago

and really, why would they not?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

UCH21377 wrote: 1 month ago

$110k
If you’re getting paid 110k for the season isn’t it the entire season? Sounds like breach of contract to me.
Contract?
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

UCH21377 wrote: 1 month ago

$110k
If you're getting paid to play...you probably have a good idea know exactly when you're not getting paid anymore. Is my guess. And, if you can make good ching playing...why would you play for free?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

$110k
I recall last season Freshman RJ Luis at UMass sat out some games later in the season
Luis was being recruited by other schools and UMass was losing him but then UMass ponied up $100,000 and locked Luis up for his Sophomore year, however, Luis then changed his mind, reneged on the UMass “deal” and ended up with The Rick at St John’s. Don’t know how much he got.
There was some talk at UMass that Luis was sitting out and not injured.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Another Pregame option and for during game………

Rhody Fans!

Come on down to the Ryan Center on Senior Night to see Rhody take on George Mason in the final home game of the year.

We are offering $5 Bud Light, Bud Light Seltzer, Michelob Ultra, and Muse until last call.

Thank you and Go Rhody!
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

it may just be me, but I feel like the chicken tender game has been stepped up at the RC.

Last three games, for me anyway, they were hot, fresh, juicy, and plump.

small victories.

*edit* I meant to put this in the RC thread.
0 x
:lol:
Masonfan
Frenchy Tomlin

Thought you all might enjoy this
Attachments
2167-ca89320849c7fe273929d299e0a6e433.jpg
2167-ca89320849c7fe273929d299e0a6e433.jpg (13.29 KiB) Viewed 194 times
5 x
Rhody15