2/25 | La Salle | 12:00PM (USA)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Re: 2/25 | La Salle | 12:00PM (USA)

Unread post by RamStock »

ramster wrote: 2 months ago
ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 months ago
RIFan wrote: 2 months ago Who on this team seems to play the defense Archie is asking for? This team has talent on the offensive side, but they just either are not athletic/quick enough, interested in trying or just not getting the defensive concepts. You really think it will all of a sudden click for them next year?

This is why you need to CUT BAIT / KEEP EIGHT
The Worst loss in the history of URI vs LaSalle was just last year in A10 Tournament when URI lost by 17

Today shattered that record as URI lost by a dismal 24 points to LaSalle

Sorry but I think keeping 8 is way too many players from this years team. Many will find their own way out anyway and probably already looking at options.

My gut is I’d keep Fuchs and Estevez, tbd over next 3 weeks if any others
Keeping 8 of these guys means another losing season on the horizon. Who do they get rid of-Roy? Players like House and Zek just aren’t winners from the mold of Terrell and Matthew and so many others on Hurley’s team. It would be nice to be build with the same players, but but 5 seems about right with no promise of any starting spots
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RIFan wrote: 2 months ago Who on this team seems to play the defense Archie is asking for? This team has talent on the offensive side, but they just either are not athletic/quick enough, interested in trying or just not getting the defensive concepts. You really think it will all of a sudden click for them next year?

seems like a lot maybe?
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 months ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 2 months ago This is bad.. Idk what else to say. Today, we have reached another low. Lasalle just dominated us in every way possible. Archie has lost the team. Oh, and for people that want House back (including myself), that's now the third game in a row where he flipped out getting subbed out. Archie didn't let Bray do this. Is he going to let House? I know Archie is a great coach when he has the players, but my biggest worry is his ability to connect with players in the portal era. Hammond has blown up and just made 1st team. Does he watch this terrible team and say to himself, did I make a mistake? I hope not.. But Fuchs, Cam, and Hammond are the three players that give me a small amount of hope for our future. If he can't keep all three going into next year, we're screwed.
I've said this before. I think House hates playing for Archie. He's gone.
Billy Boy, why do u say that? He gets his playing time and scoring chances. ?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

McRam wrote: 2 months ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 2 months ago This is bad.. Idk what else to say. Today, we have reached another low. Lasalle just dominated us in every way possible. Archie has lost the team. Oh, and for people that want House back (including myself), that's now the third game in a row where he flipped out getting subbed out. Archie didn't let Bray do this. Is he going to let House? I know Archie is a great coach when he has the players, but my biggest worry is his ability to connect with players in the portal era. Hammond has blown up and just made 1st team. Does he watch this terrible team and say to himself, did I make a mistake? I hope not.. But Fuchs, Cam, and Hammond are the three players that give me a small amount of hope for our future. If he can't keep all three going into next year, we're screwed.
I've said this before. I think House hates playing for Archie. He's gone.
Billy Boy, why do u say that? He gets his playing time and scoring chances. ?
Because he throws hissy fits multiple times a game.
0 x
Go Rhody
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

bwerner10 wrote: 2 months ago Is Green playing?
Why? Did he get hurt again?
From the minutes he played and the lack of lift and lack of explosiveness, I’m guessing he was hurting
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 2 months ago
reef wrote: 2 months ago I’m guessing we go 1-3 to finish 12-19 which is 3 games better than last season , we are definitely underachieving
How do we compare to the last two years of Cox….that is my measuring stick. I remember how disgusted and disillusioned we were back then. This feels much worse than that.
It’s like perpetually in the state of that Fordham game Rhody blew where everyone got up and left early. Hurley apologized after. That was 2018 I believe.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

The Worst loss in the history of URI vs LaSalle was just last year in A10 Tournament when URI lost by 17

Sorry but I think keeping 8 is way too many players from this years team. Many will find their own way out anyway and probably already looking at options.

Yeah 8 seems high to me , I think no more than 6 returnees and hope the new comers are better
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 months ago team doesn't even really look like a team....they just look like a bunch of guys they gathered together at breakfast today to play a game at lunchtime
I think I saw more intense hoops played at River Bend.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 months ago
RAMFAN wrote: 2 months ago After we kick out all the loser programs beneath us who keep beating us we should move up in the conference standings
If they kicked out the bottom 5 teams, Rhody would be pretty much guaranteed top 10 in the conference every year.

OUCH!
0 x
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

Agree here and was saying this to someone earlier. Two very talented freshman to build around. Other than that, don't really care who stays tbh. Our two best offensive threats in House and Green seem to be the two biggest head cases on this team. No one can play a lick of defense. The more guys we keep the more concerned I'll be for next year, because to me that means more of the same. I just don't see this "core" group having some sort of magical offseason where they suddenly learn how to play defense. And if we don't address the defense in a major way, we're f'd. I'll gladly trade some offense for a few guys that can actually keep their opponent in front of them, and who bring some defensive intensity night in and night out.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

The returnees I would like back are Fuchs Cam Green Weston
1 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

RAMFAN wrote: 2 months ago After we kick out all the loser programs beneath us who keep beating us we should move up in the conference standings
If they kicked out the bottom 5 teams, Rhody would be pretty much guaranteed top 10 in the conference every year.
I've said this before (during the UNH game), but I am really questioning how well we fit in the A-10.
The majority here seem to want to kick out the "bottom feeders," but that is never going to happen!
And, by the way, when is the last time (other than 2018, which is the only one I can think of) that ANY Ram team
made the NCAAs as an at-large? I'm counting both hoops teams, both soccer teams, VB, baseball and softball.

Anybody want to do the research for me?

Seriously...any one of the seven teams.

So until I stand corrected, in the last 25 years, we have gotten 1 at-large bid. In 7 sports.
That math, friends, is fucking abysmal. 1/175 = .006

Back in the day the A-10 was the best non-power conference in the land.
We competed regularly with the Big East, and anybody who wanted a game.
Now? It's just a 1-bid league. In all sports.

The next time Rhody gets an at-large...in any sport besides football?
I'm not holding my breath.

Finally, this might seem obvious to some, but maybe not to all...
If we have to win the tourney to get in, maybe a tournament that we actually have a shot to win is what we should be looking for.

I am not looking forward to Brooklyn.

Edit: 2002 women's soccer
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

rhodyrudder wrote: 2 months ago
I've said this before (during the UNH game), but I am really questioning how well we fit in the A-10.
The majority here seem to want to kick out the "bottom feeders," but that is never going to happen!
And, by the way, when is the last time (other than 2018, which is the only one I can think of) that ANY Ram team
made the NCAAs as an at-large? I'm counting both hoops teams, both soccer teams, VB, baseball and softball.

Anybody want to do the research for me?

Seriously...any one of the seven teams.

So until I stand corrected, in the last 25 years, we have gotten 1 at-large bid. In 7 sports.
That math, friends, is fucking abysmal. 1/175 = .006

Back in the day the A-10 was the best non-power conference in the land.
We competed regularly with the Big East, and anybody who wanted a game.
Now? It's just a 1-bid league. In all sports.

The next time Rhody gets an at-large...in any sport besides football?
I'm not holding my breath.

Finally, this might seem obvious to some, but maybe not to all...
If we have to win the tourney to get in, maybe a tournament that we actually have a shot to win is what we should be looking for.

I am not looking forward to Brooklyn.

Edit: 2002 women's soccer
That's nuts, never thought about it this way. Sad.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

What is more our it? America East or? Just asking.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

For the Fuchs haters that claim he doesn’t try. Archie is around this kid 24/7.

This is his quote after yesterdays game
“He’s been a consistent cog all along from an effort standpoint and on offense, defense and rebounding.”
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Woof woof this game...that is all.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

RamStock wrote: 2 months ago

Keeping 8 of these guys means another losing season on the horizon. Who do they get rid of-Roy? Players like House and Zek just aren’t winners from the mold of Terrell and Matthew and so many others on Hurley’s team. It would be nice to be build with the same players, but but 5 seems about right with no promise of any starting spots

i agree... i had house returning (maybe my mistake there).. but the others gone
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

seems like a lot maybe?
i'll admit i am probably wrong.. but for the record my 8 would be the below...

again tho.. i am prob wrong so people can have their own opinions.. which i would tend to agree would be better than mine in terms of bringing players back

my quick take on players back would be the below

House
Cam
Tyson
Fou
Connor
Green
Fuchs
weston
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

seems like a lot maybe?

again tho.. i am prob wrong so people can have their own opinions.. which i would tend to agree would be better than mine in terms of bringing players back

House
Cam
Tyson
Fou
Connor
Green
Fuchs
weston
I ain't leaving Zek off and short of Dubs being the next Jimmy Baron I don't see him being good enough.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 months ago

seems like a lot maybe?

House
Cam
Tyson
Fou
Connor
Green
Fuchs
weston
I ain't leaving Zek off and short of Dubs being the next Jimmy Baron I don't see him being good enough.

strictly as a bench player in the hopes he could develop into a sniper off the bench

but what do i know honestly

just wanted to get rid of players since it is not working

doesn't mean i am right

just frustrated overall
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

I don't understand why keeping 8 players means another losing season, although it probably depends on which 8.

Guess what, Loyola retained 8 players from last season after finishing 15th.
I would settle for the season they are having now in 24-25.

Do you think Valentine is that much better of a coach than Archie?
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 months ago

I don't understand why keeping 8 players means another losing season, although it probably depends on which 8.

Jersey, don’t go nuts trying to understand. There is a great deal of frustration with the players - and I am one of those very frustrated at this time. But, I will come to my senses eventually.

It is the quit, the mental weakness, lack of effort, poor bb IQ, lack of focus and extremely poor execution on D and poor habits on D that are driving me nuts and causing me big frustration.

Correct me if I am wrong but, did the core players that Loyola returned exhibit those tendencies last season that I listed above and, if they did, did they do so to the extent we have this season? I honestly don’t recall if they did or not.

If the returning Loyola players did, then that might lessen my frustration with our current players and provide some hope, for me, in our current players.

As for Archie, he and the staff are the one solid thing I can hold on to for hope at this time (along with the program positives you alluded to yesterday, Fuchs and Cam and the freshman coming in).

I know we will bounce back eventually. I am confident of that. We always have. I just don’t have the patience or luxury of waiting for a long rebuild as I did in the past.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 months ago

Jersey, don’t go nuts trying to understand. There is a great deal of frustration with the players - and I am one of those very frustrated at this time. But, I will come to my senses eventually.

It is the quit, the mental weakness, lack of effort, poor bb IQ, lack of focus and extremely poor execution on D and poor habits on D that are driving me nuts and causing me big frustration.

Correct me if I am wrong but, did the core players that Loyola returned exhibit those tendencies last season that I listed above and, if they did, did they do so to the extent we have this season? I honestly don’t recall if they did or not.

If the returning Loyola players did, then that might lessen my frustration with our current players and provide some hope, for me, in our current players.

As for Archie, he and the staff are the one solid thing I can hold on to for hope at this time (along with the program positives you alluded to yesterday, Fuchs and Cam and the freshman coming in).

I know we will bounce back eventually. I am confident of that. We always have. I just don’t have the patience or luxury of waiting for a long rebuild as I did in the past.
Some returning players from Loyola were core and some weren't.
But most players get frustrated when they are losing.

As far as effort, mental strength, having the team prepared, much of that falls on coaching.
You can't tell me that most of our players lack heart and drive, that sounds much more like a coaching issue.
In that case Archie isn't getting his message across.

Like I keep saying at this point I still trust this staff and feel they will improve as a collective group and turn things around.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

As far as effort, mental strength, having the team prepared, much of that falls on coaching.
Yes, Jersey, Some of it falls on the coaching, the evaluations of portal recruits ( which I think Archie discussed to some extent in his last off day presser, iirc) and player accountability. Players not only have to say that they are accountable but show it with improved effort, bb IQ, changed habits, etc. ).

I don’t believe Archie or the staff suddenly forgot how to reach players. There are two sides to every coin, as the saying goes. No one is innocent of the failure that is this season when it comes to the players, Archie and staff.

With that said, I do have more confidence in Archie finding new players and coaching up key players I would retain to eventually turn us around than I do in a good chunk of our current players changing their stripes.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 2 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I think we have seen our guys regroup and show they have fight at times, but their lows have just been too low.

They get waaaay too down on themselves and when yoy struggle to get stops on defense it just makes it worse. Even more deflating when you can score at will and never get a stop.

The brief periods of good basketball can give you hope that it's possible for members of this team to turn it around if you add in the right new pieces.

This group needs continuity and we need to upgrade our quickness on the perimeter and discipline inside and it could be a completely different team.

Watch Virginia this year and you will see tremendous ball pressure, especially from Reece Beekman the defending ACC defensive player of the year. Their guards make it so hard for anyone to initiate their offense. That first line of defense has been mostly non-existent and our bigs are so young they just don't know what they're doing yet. Really though, the whole defense is crap if we can't make it tough for opposing guards.

Hammond is as quick as anybody, so he alone will make it more difficult than Luis and Ways currently do. He's literally quicker than anyone and yeah his size isn't optimal, but we will get a lot more out of him on the defensive end than our current PG's. We need at least one more guard around 6'3 that's able to pressure the ball the way we need someone to. That alone will make it so much easier on the rest of the group and who knows how much better they get in another year in the system/playing together.

Need the right players to come back, improve perimeter defense and be more consistent inside.
2 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Wrong thread, deleted
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 months ago
In Houses defense, he probably shouldn’t have gotten subbed out all that much.

Was one of the few who was putting in effort.
Dude, what the hell are you talking about? House had the worst effort on the court and Archie could have easily kept him on the bench more than he did.

Archie sat him when he got two first half fouls. That's pretty much automatic for any player and any coach in the country. Then less than one minute into the second half House committed the dumbest foul of the whole game by running into a guy shooting a three yet somehow barely defending the guy he was fouling. Archie would have been completely right to take House out of the game at that point but let him stay in the game hoping he could play with three. House proceeded to do everything in his power the next two minutes to get a fourth foul, but the refs bailed him out and didn't call it but Archie finally had to take him out to save House from himself. That got House to throw a temper tantrum because a coach had the audacity to take him out of the game.

The worst play of the whole game was House airballing a three, then quitting on the play and sulking in the spot he took the three while Weston went 1 on 2 and got to the foul line. That body language and quit when House airballed is exactly what Archie has been complaining about from this team all year that the players refuse to fix
Last edited by RhowdyRam02 2 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Yes, Jersey, Some of it falls on the coaching, the evaluations of portal recruits ( which I think Archie discussed to some extent in his last off day presser, iirc) and player accountability. Players not only have to say that they are accountable but show it with improved effort, bb IQ, changed habits, etc. ).

I don’t believe Archie or the staff suddenly forgot how to reach players. There are two sides to every coin, as the saying goes. No one is innocent of the failure that is this season when it comes to the players, Archie and staff.

With that said, I do have more confidence in Archie finding new players and coaching up key players I would retain to eventually turn us around than I do in a good chunk of our changing players their stripes.
I agree, this staff hasn't forgot who to coach and I have confidence in them.

But it does take time for a team to develop as a group.
That is why I had lower expectations for 22-23 and 23-24, complete roster overhauls will take time to see results.
We need continuity and carry-over into next season for us to have any success in 24-25.
Starting over again isn't the answer, let's continue to develop the core we have and fill-in with the portal and our recruits.

Again, we can't control everything and unfortunately some players who we would want to stay may test the waters.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 months ago, edited 2 times in total.
3 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I get ya, Jersey. I am not in favor of a forced, major house cleaning either. Retention helps chemistry and culture.

If we keep at least 6 of the best of the rotation players (my top 6 are Fuchs, Cam, Weston, Green, Fou (based on potential and yrs of eligibility left) and Zek (hoping he can finally put it together) plus add Hammond, we are up to 7 rotation players potentially already.

Then add 1-2 talented players from the portal to compete for PT with those 7. An experienced PG to split time Hammond and push him would make sense and another experienced big in case Fou doesn’t develop.

That isn’t big turnover of rotational pieces.

I don’t know. I am just spit-balling given I have no idea what will be available in the portal and what we will have available to offer in NIL.

However, Bos8 made a good point earlier by asking what talented portal players would want to come here if the PT available and role available are not clearly defined in their favor.

Bos8’s perspective is valid and keeps me leaning towards retaining less than 7-8 rotational pieces.

Excellent off day discussion.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 months ago I get ya, Jersey. I am not in favor of a forced, major house cleaning either. Retention helps chemistry and culture.

If we keep at least 6 of the best of the rotation players (my top 6 are Fuchs, Cam, Weston, Green, Fou (based on potential and yrs of eligibility left) and Zek (hoping he can finally put it together) plus add Hammond, we are up to 7 rotation players potentially already.

Then add 1-2 talented players from the portal to compete for PT with those 7. An experienced PG to split time Hammond and push him would make sense and another experienced big in case Fou doesn’t develop.

I don’t know. I am just spit-balling given I have no idea what will be available in the portal and what we will have available to offer in NIL.

However, Bos8 made a good point earlier by asking what talented portal players would want to come here if the PT available and role available are not clearly defined in their favor.

Bos8’s perspective is valid and keeps me leaning towards retaining less than 7-8 rotational pieces.

Any players worth getting in the portal shouldn't be afraid of competition.
Besides starting roles will be up for grabs and must be earned.
We certainly don't need any prima donna's who feel they should just be handed over the keys.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 months ago I get ya, Jersey. I am not in favor of a forced, major house cleaning either. Retention helps chemistry and culture.

Any players worth getting in the portal shouldn't be afraid of competition.
Besides starting roles will be up for grabs and must be earned.
We certainly don't need any prima donna's who feel they should just be handed over the keys.
I think the AAU culture has changed that admirable attitude of not fearing or being intimidated competition somewhat, Jersey. Add impacts of NIL and I think the drift away from that admirable attitude could become more pronounced.

I am a proponent of good, fair competition. If we had it, the P5 conferences would play programs like ours more often and on the road. They wouldn’t be limiting our opportunities to compete on a level playing field.

The example they set for prospective student athletes is get all that you can.

Sorry. Still cranky from the loss.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

How about, instead of keeping some players and bringing a couple portaldudes to "compete for PT'...we keep the best players possible, and bring in players that we 'know' are better than the ones kept? That's legal, right?
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 months ago
DeanDome88 wrote: 2 months ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 2 months ago

Since this game is a joke and Archie has lost this team, I did some research to avoid the torture... You're spot on about Ways, Eli. He's very bad..I'm always disappointed watching always wright and this team lately.. Corny line I know but screw it! We have people who say Bassy's numbers are horrible. We have people that still say his numbers "suck"

Want to hear a fun fact? Luis has a worse shooting % than Bassy does in the conference. Never mind how bad Always is. Luis has been average or bad since his huge game against Davidson. Luis has been shooting 39% since that Davidson game. So if Bassy sucks, does Luis suck too? Because I think he's a decent point guard. Bassy has shot 50% or higher in his last three games, scoring 30, 19, and 42. While our guys, like Cam and Luis, are regressing, Bassy seems to be improving.

Conference Statistics for Bassy and Luis

Bassy
20.7 PPG
6 AST
.417 FG%
31% 3P%
76% FT%
2.3 steals

Luis
10.4 PPG
4.4 AST
.413 FG%
33% 3P%
68% FT%
0.8 steals

I hate that I love such a disappointing program. But I do, and I always will.
A serious comparison may have been to compare their A10 stats.
The entire point is that Bassy has made a jump THIS year. So, no, that doesn't make much sense to me. Just like when Ish had a bad sophomore year, and things started to click, and he made a big jump in his junior year. You're wrong if you're implying that Bassy isn't a better player than last year. All you have to do is watch Albany play a few games, and you can see he's stronger, faster, and more developed on the offensive end. The kid has put in the work to become a better player.

If you need to look at the numbers, Bassy shot 64% from the line, 25% from 3, and 34% from the field last year. He now shoots 77% FT, 31% from 3, and 42% from the field this year. He's also taking a lot more shots and free throws.. Keep in mind I thought he was terrible in his freshman year and average to bad last year. But I'd have to be blind not to see he's become a better player this season..

Once again. NO ONE says he would put up 20 in the A10 this year. The original question was, is he a better backup guard than Ways? Since that's an incredibly easy answer, the question now is, would he be better, Luis? I think it's close. He continues to prove the doubters wrong, and my guess is he'll be even better next year. You all know how I feel, so I'll stop talking about him. Unless he drops 40+ again. ;)
I would not have pushed out Bassy, I have often said that I liked the size of the fight in that dog. I do not think he puts up those numbers in the A-10 nor would I want to see him try. I hate hero ball. He is not an efficient scorer even this season and he dropped major points in a loss so I'm not terribly upset that he left if he did not want to come off our bench. Ways has been a bust and I would not argue otherwise. If Archie pushed Bassy out then he should not complain about the guys that he brought in not playing hard enough. I have no inside information about the situation.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The players that dont want to give the effort need to go.

No more excuses.

Either try your best, or leave.

Archie has to move them out, or his own credibility is at stake.

Next season we need a team willing and committed to play hard, even if talent in some areas is lacking.

If coach doesn't do this, then the onus is on him, and his days are numbered.

And they damn well should be.
3 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

rambone 78 wrote: 2 months ago The players that dont want to give the effort need to go.

No more excuses.

Next season we need a team willing and committed to play hard, even if talent in some areas is lacking.

WELL SAID
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

rambone 78 wrote: 2 months ago The players that dont want to give the effort need to go.

No more excuses.

WELL SAID
CUT NO EFFORT BAIT
0 x