2/25 | La Salle | 12:00PM (USA)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

2/25 | La Salle | 12:00PM (USA)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs La Salle University
Tom Gola Arena, Philadelphia, PA
Sunday, February 23, 2024
12:00PM

Media
TV: USA
Online: USA
Radio: Tune In Radio
App: Varsity Network
Live Stats: N/A

Previews
La Salle’s Fan Forum

After getting swept at home over the last two games, the Rams head back out on the road for their next two games. The Rams will travel south to Philadelphia to take on the La Salle Explorers Sunday afternoon in the first of two road games. Normally a game against La Salle would be just what the doctor ordered, but who the hell knows anymore. The Rams have now lost 3 in a row & 8 of 10 while La Salle has inexplicably won 2 in a row. Before that the Explorers had lost 9 of 10. If the Rams want to avoid the play in games portion of the A10 tournament, getting a win here will help. Of their 5 remaining games, 3 of them are against teams below Rhody in the standings. Conversely, they will probably only win the game at home against St. Louis.

The Explorers are led by the one-two punch of Khalil Brantley & Jhamir Brickus. Brantley is leading the team in scoring with just over 15 per game & is also leading the team in steals with 1.7 per contest. At just 6’1”, he is also third on the team in rebounding with just over 5 per game as well as second on the team in assists at 4.2 per game. Meanwhile, Jhamir Brickus is second on the team in scoring at just over 14 per game & leading the team in assists at almost 5 per game. The last time they played Rhode Island last month, Brickus went for 14, 8, & 6. Junior guard Daeshon Shepherd is third on the team in scoring with 10.3 per game. He has been coming on as of late. He scored 14 against Rhody but then was held scoreless over his next two games. But over his last 4 he has gone for 12, 14, 19. & 23. With the way Rhody’s defense struggles, I am going to pencil him in for 25 to keep his point increase streak alive. Shepherd is second on the team in rebounding, just one behind forward Rokas Jocius. They are both averaging five and a half rebounds per game. The Explorers best three-point shooter is Andres Marrero. He did not play in their last game & played sparingly in the last couple games. I am not sure if he got hurt or if he is the Explorers version of Foumena. I mentioned this tidbit the last time these two teams played, but what I find most surprising about the Explorers roster is even in the age of players transferring schools, their entire roster is made up of players who have only played collegiately at La Salle. It hasn’t quite translated into success yet, but there is potential there.

As for the Rams, well at least I hit my race to 15 points bet the last game at +115. That was the only good news I could muster. I would bring up Fuch’s double-double the last game, but I don’t want this thread to become another shitshow. Whoops, too late. Richmond really made David Green use his right hand in the last game & he struggled. Has Cam hit the freshman wall & now has tired legs? In his last four games (& 5 of 6), he has hit just 1 shot in each game.

Can the Rams sneak out a road victory against La Salle? Rhody is struggling so much that they would have a tough time against La Salle Academy in Providence. Hell, they might even struggle to stop the nuns at La Salette Shrine. Although beating UMass by just one, La Salle led wire to wire & built the lead to as much as 18 in that game. In the last game, they lead St. Bonaventure by as much as 20 & cruised to victory by shooting over 50% from the floor & had an impressive 20 assists in that game. Even though the Explorers lost the last time these teams matched-up at the Ryan Center, they were in it the whole game & lost by just two. La Salle will be looking for revenge & confidence will be high. Who knows, maybe the Explorers will get 1500 fans in the door for this one. Look out! Will Rhody be able to stop this little Explorer win streak? My prediction, La Salle 78 – URI 75. Go Rhody!!

Opponent
Record:
13-14, 4-10 in the A10
15-19, 7-11 in the A10 (Last Season)

Rankings (URI):
NCAA NET: 208 (187)
RPI: 206 (146)
KenPom: 219 (180)
BPI: 187 (196)
Barttovik: 192 (183)

Leaders:
Points – Khalil Brantley 15.1 (Jr., G)
Rebounds – Rokas Jocius 5.5 (Soph., F)
Assists – Jhamir Brickus 4.9 (Sr., G) (1.9 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 35-11
H: 16-4, A: 15-6, N: 4-1
Most Recent Matchup: 1/31/24 71-69 W at URI
Most Recent Win Streak: 1 – URI
Match-up Predictor: 33.5% Chance of URI Winning
4 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2/25 | La Salle | 12:00PM (USA)

Unread post by RF1 »

LaSalle is coming off back to back home wins over St Bonaventure and UMass. Both of these teams are much better than URI. I expect the Explorers to extend their win streak to three on Sunday.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Thanks Spooky but "Ouch".

Yes, their backcourt really worries me, and their last 2 wins also scare me.
Plus, the fact that we barely beat them at the RC.

With all that said I am still picking us to win on Sunday, even though not sure why.
I just feel it will be a much-needed victory to help with our confidence and give us any type of momentum going into the end of the season.

Besides we are due, especially after just losing to the 2 #1 teams in the conference.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Team Rankings has it, 41% to win.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Definitely see a close game here not sure who gets the win
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I'm not sure if there is any result that would surprise me, from a URI 20-point win to a 20-point loss. Both teams are just really erratic.
3 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Nuns at LaSallette......too darn funny! :)
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 2 months ago Nuns at LaSallette......too darn funny! :)
Don’t sleep on the Nuns of LaSalette. I heard they kicked butt against the Sisters of the Poor. :lol:
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Two hours before tip and zero posts in over 24 hours.

Dead program.

Brutal.
0 x
Go Rhody
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 months ago Two hours before tip and zero posts in over 24 hours.

Dead program.

Brutal.
Not sure what else we have to talk about at this point LOL.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
bwerner10
Steve Chubin

Unread post by bwerner10 »

Is Green playing?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

bwerner10 wrote: 2 months ago Is Green playing?
Why? Did he get hurt again?
0 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

RI_Bred wrote: 2 months ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 months ago Two hours before tip and zero posts in over 24 hours.

Dead program.

Brutal.
Not sure what else we have to talk about at this point LOL.
We may have gotten to the point of the beaten dead horse, how much more can you dissect the shortcomings of this season. I'm sure there will be plenty of posts following the game either way. The only interesting point I'm seeing about this game is that we are only 3.5 dogs, that line seems suspicious to me.
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Fight for that Tuesday bye is what we have left. Sigh...
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RI_Bred wrote: 2 months ago Fight for that Tuesday bye is what we have left. Sigh...
The fight for the bye is over for URI. The only question is what PIG seed (10-15) will URI be that Tuesday.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Fuchs game time decision, “ tweaked ankle in practice….”
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

RF1 wrote: 2 months ago
RI_Bred wrote: 2 months ago Fight for that Tuesday bye is what we have left. Sigh...
The fight for the bye is over for URI. The only question is what PIG seed (10-15) will URI be that Tuesday.
Not mathematically out yet, still a slim chance. :roll:
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

section(105) wrote: 2 months ago Fuchs game time decision, “ tweaked ankle in practice….”
Not ideal.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Brown is starting
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

adam914 wrote: 2 months ago
section(105) wrote: 2 months ago Fuchs game time decision, “ tweaked ankle in practice….”
Not ideal.
Brown will need to step up.

I wonder if Fou will get PT ?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 months ago
adam914 wrote: 2 months ago
Not ideal.
Brown will need to step up.

I wonder if Fou will get PT ?
He kinda has to at this point.
0 x
Go Rhody
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

You'd think Foumena should get plenty of minutes today, but who knows. I definitely wanted to see him out there more, but not at the expense of losing Fuchs.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Great!
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Same, Adam. It makes sense that he (Fou) would play and get significant minutes but I have no idea if he is in the dog house or if Arch just doesn’t trust him.

I guess we will find out.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Good crowd. Ooph
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I’m sorry but Archie and McCall (PA guy) saying La Salle is a tough place to play is such a crock of shit.

La Salle hasn’t been good in a decade and it’s a high school gym with zero people in attendance 99% of the time.
0 x
Go Rhody
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Good Rhody D on that LaS possession. 👍🏼

Weston looking for his shot. 👍🏼
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Ugly start, not surprising.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I know some people think he just stands flat footed slow and just scores wide open layups but it’s clear how much we miss Fuchs ability to finish around the hoop early in this game…Please put Fou in. At least he’ll hit some of these wide open layups…
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Fou needs to take that open 15 footer from the line instead of passing. He can hit that all day long if LaS is going to collapse like that.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 2 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft.

Can't take this anymore.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 months ago Fou needs to take that open 15 footer from the line instead of passing.
He’s probably afraid he’ll be pulled the second he takes a shot. Archie has ruined any confidence in this kid. He looks like a totally different timid player out there. That’s what happens when you don’t play him at all and take him out the second he makes a mistakes. Feel bad for him. Archie has made plenty of mistakes this year but the way he’s handled Fou is near the top.

Also, our defense is so incredibly bad…
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

RI_Bred wrote: 2 months ago Soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft soft.

Can't take this anymore.
Ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

We are just going through the motions the last several minutes. Brutal.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Game over already? 12 point deficit seems pretty insurmountable lol
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I need to state the obvious: Always Wright not only cannot defend anyone he cannot run an offense. It seems each possession he runs the shot clock gets to 5 seconds and a difficult shot needs to be tried.
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Nice pass Wright. Unreal.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 months ago Game over already? 12 point deficit seems pretty insurmountable lol
It feels like we are down by 20 or more. Poor effort. Dumb play. A fan has to be very patient and dedicated to watch this today.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Zero effort. Not even trying on D. Pathetic.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Archie needs to get guards who are playmakers, we have zero outside of House. Our guards are by far our biggest weakness, specifically point guard. I'm really hoping at this point most of our guys leave on their own, this team is just torture to watch. Its becoming clear by the effort who will not be here next year.
1 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Unbelievable play. Another community league effort.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

This is fn brutal
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Dubs sighting, hey why not.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

We must be such a fun team to play against. Basically get to just do whatever you want on offense.
3 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Yeah I’m on to watching URI hockey playing for ESCHL title

MBB looking like bags are packed for parts unknown.

https://www.youtube.com/live/16gwylVtVy ... YxYmvxdHsf
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

None of these guards can pass.
1 x
'No Mercy.'
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Can we put up 30 in the first half?
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

This is St Bonnies/Dayton effort bad
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Sweep The Leg wrote: 2 months ago None of these guards can pass.
Why do they continue to pass it underneath when there are 3 defenders collapsing ? I don’t get it.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

That last play really summed up URI for the half. WTF
0 x
Mobley was fouled.