2/21 | Richmond | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Re: 2/21 | Richmond | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 2 months ago
reef wrote: 2 months ago 76-65. 432
No fight in this team , not mentally tough
How many defensive breakdowns!
Get some new players Arch !
What do you think about their conditioning? I have never watched a team that always looks so gassed.
It’s like air out of a balloon.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 months ago
steviep123 wrote: 2 months ago
spar wrote: 2 months ago

Can't those who've heard share some generic info and leave player names out of it? I'm not looking for names, just want to get more of a feel for what's going on behind the scenes. Dangling the ole carrot and then yanking it away is brutal. I mean, it's no surprise to hear there are rumblings, but how bad are we talking here?
Steveystuds - would be good to hear if you have a rough # of how many we may be looking to replace. Is it a possible 1 or 2 defections or much higher?
I've got no inside information, but I'd think the floor for transfers is 3, and I'd wager money on 4 or 5. Stewart has to be gone unless he's just completely happy playing less than 100 minutes a season, and Foumena is fourth on the big man depth chart and losing time as the year goes on. (I'm not there to see games in person, but I'm kind of assuming his defense is absolute garbage, because his offensive efficiency is pretty good.)

From there, take your pick. Dubsky would seem like a prime candidate to transfer because he's played 53 total minutes, but maybe he wants to stick it out for one more year and see if he can crack the lineup. Montgomery and Weston are just complete trick-or-treat players; I think it is hard to feel good about trusting either one in the lineup for 20+ MPG, since so often they just bring nothing to the table. House is listed as a junior, but this is his fourth year in college, so he might qualify as a grad transfer anyway. Of House, Kortright, Estevez and Wright, they combine for roughly all of the 1/2 minutes, and there isn't much evidence any of them can play defense. Bilau is edging into "will he play basketball again?" territory.

Losing teams are pretty much never happy, so it honestly wouldn't surprise me if anyone transferred. I think it's more likely that we retain the guys playing 20+ MPG than those that are not, but Miller was aggressive with the portal usage after 2022-23, and I suspect he'll be aggressive again this season, vs. going after HS prospects beyond the two we have signed.
Sounds fair , if the line is 3.5 I will take over 3.5 transfers
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Taylor Swift wrote: 2 months ago
reef wrote: 2 months ago 76-65. 432
No fight in this team , not mentally tough
How many defensive breakdowns!
Get some new players Arch !
What do you think about their conditioning? I have never watched a team that always looks so gassed.
you mean, sounds like a squeaky fart?
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodyg wrote: 2 months ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 months ago Two things.

1. I have gotten on Fuchs after the Mohegan tourney (very much warranted) and after the last home game (first half very passive). However, I believe me, Steven and Jersey (apologies if any others which I’m sure there are) have been Fuchs defenders 90%+ of the season.

He was the only one who showed up tonight. Best game of the season. Hell of a night.

If he stays: 4 year starter, 1000+ point scorer, high up there in rebounds and minutes.

2. King has been tremendous for Richmond all year, will be an All A10 player.

But good lord he flopped 4+ times tonight. Great players like that don’t need to do that.

Didn’t expect to win tonight, just my couple thoughts on the game.

He is gone like the wind. And can you blame him?
You say this as it’s already confirmed as a fact.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhodyg
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodyg »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 months ago
Rhodyg wrote: 2 months ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 months ago Two things.

1. I have gotten on Fuchs after the Mohegan tourney (very much warranted) and after the last home game (first half very passive). However, I believe me, Steven and Jersey (apologies if any others which I’m sure there are) have been Fuchs defenders 90%+ of the season.

He was the only one who showed up tonight. Best game of the season. Hell of a night.

If he stays: 4 year starter, 1000+ point scorer, high up there in rebounds and minutes.

2. King has been tremendous for Richmond all year, will be an All A10 player.

But good lord he flopped 4+ times tonight. Great players like that don’t need to do that.

Didn’t expect to win tonight, just my couple thoughts on the game.

He is gone like the wind. And can you blame him?
You say this as it’s already confirmed as a fact.
Don’t hold your breath
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Reef, i guess I might be the only strong supporter of Weston on this board . However, I see him as head and shoulders above Zek. He always shows up on the defensive end has a high basketball I.Q. Now that he has gotten some regular minutes, I expect him to get his share of points on the offensive next year and beyond. He is one of my high priorities to be able to retain him , but , I would not be surprised if better teams than us will be after him.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

McRam wrote: 2 months ago Reef, i guess I might be the only strong supporter of Weston on this board . However, I see him as head and shoulders above Zek. He always shows up on the defensive end has a high basketball I.Q. Now that he has gotten some regular minutes, I expect him to get his share of points on the offensive next year and beyond. He is one of my high priorities to be able to retain him , but , I would not be surprised if better teams than us will be after him.
Yes I would say BW is ahead of Zek right now , Zek was good the first 6 games then regressed despite the 30 piece @ GWU
BW plays hard so I can see him staying around especially since he already transferred once
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I’ve always been a Weston guy but he needs to stop disappearing on offense. He took 4 shots in 29 minutes last game.
0 x
GO RAMS
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

BruceW wrote: 2 months ago
hrstrat57 wrote: 2 months ago
BruceW wrote: 2 months ago No I am not a “clown” but can only wonder why so many on this board ridiculed responses. The opinion expressed is but one person’s. You don’t have to like it. And it’s okay if you don’t. But name calling and acting as if only a few people are allowed to offer a viable opinion. I think not.
It’s probably the CAPS

Suggest backing off on those…
Understand and agree. But then again it was the CAPS that garnered the attention. 😎
This forum needs MORE Ram fans, welcome BruceW

(I used CAPS see that!!)
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

reef wrote: 2 months ago

Steveystuds - would be good to hear if you have a rough # of how many we may be looking to replace. Is it a possible 1 or 2 defections or much higher?
I've got no inside information, but I'd think the floor for transfers is 3, and I'd wager money on 4 or 5. Stewart has to be gone unless he's just completely happy playing less than 100 minutes a season, and Foumena is fourth on the big man depth chart and losing time as the year goes on. (I'm not there to see games in person, but I'm kind of assuming his defense is absolute garbage, because his offensive efficiency is pretty good.)

From there, take your pick. Dubsky would seem like a prime candidate to transfer because he's played 53 total minutes, but maybe he wants to stick it out for one more year and see if he can crack the lineup. Montgomery and Weston are just complete trick-or-treat players; I think it is hard to feel good about trusting either one in the lineup for 20+ MPG, since so often they just bring nothing to the table. House is listed as a junior, but this is his fourth year in college, so he might qualify as a grad transfer anyway. Of House, Kortright, Estevez and Wright, they combine for roughly all of the 1/2 minutes, and there isn't much evidence any of them can play defense. Bilau is edging into "will he play basketball again?" territory.

Losing teams are pretty much never happy, so it honestly wouldn't surprise me if anyone transferred. I think it's more likely that we retain the guys playing 20+ MPG than those that are not, but Miller was aggressive with the portal usage after 2022-23, and I suspect he'll be aggressive again this season, vs. going after HS prospects beyond the two we have signed.
Sounds fair , if the line is 3.5 I will take over 3.5 transfers
We know that we're losing at least 2 - we already have incoming recruits. I would bet that we'd lose at least 3.

Dubsky, Rory, Bilau should be the obvious 3. Either injuries or usage, and guys coming in, I can't see how these guys figure to stick it out.

Foumena is an interesting case. Rory is his buddy, I figure he's gone. Fou and Archie very obviously don't see eye to eye. It sucks because he's got the best upside of any freshman big we've seen since Langevine. But if he couldn't get on the floor last game, and didn't even see the 2nd half in a game we were getting abused inside, I can't see him staying as much as it pains me to stay.

Weston's usage has gone up and he's gotten more and more trust. I would've thought a month ago he'd be gone but now I'm not so sure. It seems like he's put his head on straight and he's a Woodward guy, I'm leaning more towards staying.

Cam will be one to watch as it'll take NIL money to keep him despite the freshman wall he's hit. I think we keep him because we're putting a lot more into NIL now and I expect a lot of positive developments there over the next year.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Blue Man wrote: 2 months ago Cam will be one to watch as it'll take NIL money to keep him despite the freshman wall he's hit. I think we keep him because we're putting a lot more into NIL now and I expect a lot of positive developments there over the next year.
Serious question, how do you know what URI is putting into the NIL? Is there a source to see what's going on with it? What am I missing?
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RI_Bred wrote: 2 months ago
Blue Man wrote: 2 months ago Cam will be one to watch as it'll take NIL money to keep him despite the freshman wall he's hit. I think we keep him because we're putting a lot more into NIL now and I expect a lot of positive developments there over the next year.
Serious question, how do you know what URI is putting into the NIL? Is there a source to see what's going on with it? What am I missing?
Not sure that's for public consumption since a lot of that stuff happens behind the scenes. I'm just saying have faith. I'm sure those things will become apparent, if not announced, at some point in the offseason.

But I will say if you donate to the NIL, you tend to get a better window into it :D
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 months ago I’ve always been a Weston guy but he needs to stop disappearing on offense. He took 4 shots in 29 minutes last game.
I actually like his unselfishness in the half court and have never really seen him as a scorer. He seems to pass much better in the half court set than in trying to convert a fast break where he has been mediocre. If his teammates can get him some good open looks then great.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 months ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 2 months ago

you mean, sounds like a squeaky fart?
A long squeaky one
0 x
Coach_NDuke
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Coach_NDuke »

BruceW wrote: 2 months ago ARCHIE IS THE PROBLEM !!!
At this time of the year college basketball players are thinking about two things. Either a post season run. Or where am I going to play next year. The signs are always there and usually very evident. Concerning our Rhody Rams when the spectators are talking about how many will leave ? How many were angry and visibly upset ? How much infighting was going on ? These ARE the questions that a program in turmoil always ask. The answers to the questions are important but not nearly as important as the influence of the head coach. Everything off the tree every branch stems from Archie. If the tree is not healthy then all the branches are not as strong. So if Rhody is SERIOUSLY facing a post season exodus that will leave them rebuilding again. Then the time to FIX THE PROBLEM is right now. Not at the end of the season.
ARCHIE IS THE PROBLEM.
That is when a very strong athletic director will step in and FIX THE PROBLEM.
I agree Bruce. Everything stems from the Coach.
0 x

Cheers
Coach N Duke
Coach_NDuke
Frenchy Tomlin

PeteRI wrote: 2 months ago Just watched Archie's post-game. JFC, get a load of these comments. He calls the team "mentally fragile." That's just for starters.

"Where we're at, the evolution of our program, this is new to me. This team has not been able to make any jumps defensively to get better. Part of it is individual, part of it is youth, inexperience ... part of it is ability... "

Not much else to say.
Maybe what Archie meant to say is that he is not been able to get the Chemistry and the team has not either. Then Archie could say, I know I am not hanging around with the players....I talk at them, not to them, and wow, I could be teaching Public Speaking and having better success. NOT.
0 x

Cheers
Coach N Duke
Coach_NDuke
Frenchy Tomlin

spar wrote: 2 months ago

Can't those who've heard share some generic info and leave player names out of it? I'm not looking for names, just want to get more of a feel for what's going on behind the scenes. Dangling the ole carrot and then yanking it away is brutal. I mean, it's no surprise to hear there are rumblings, but how bad are we talking here?

Well Said.
0 x

Cheers
Coach N Duke
Coach_NDuke
Frenchy Tomlin

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 months ago
BruceW wrote: 2 months ago No I am not a “clown” but can only wonder why so many on this board ridiculed responses. The opinion expressed is but one person’s. You don’t have to like it. And it’s okay if you don’t. But name calling and acting as if only a few people are allowed to offer a viable opinion. I think not.
Folks in these parts seem a tad crusty these days :lol:
Archie lost the locker room at Indiana, I guess the challenge with this team is he never got the locker room IMHO. It takes effort.
0 x

Cheers
Coach N Duke