Games of Interest - 2023-2024 MBB

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Re: Games of Interest - 2023-2024 MBB

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

theblueram wrote: 2 months ago
rjsuperfly66 wrote: 2 months ago
ramster wrote: 2 months ago

I heard it’s the first time ever Creighton has beaten the #1 ranked team in the country. If that doesn’t justify a good ol’ court storming don’t know what does.

But for me never saw a court storming I didn’t like. The more the merrier.

Just curious what RJsuperfly thinks since it’s his conference and his earlier comment here.
If it were my team, I would have preferred not to court storm. Creighton is a Top 15 team, spread was close, game was a blowout, and Creighton sees itself as a Final Four contender.
To me that upends the ranking of the opponent.
Now do I think it's egregious? No.
I may not agree with it but I get why they did it.
I just like storms to mean something, and to many storms takes away from the impact of the truly great ones.
They just beat the #1 team in the country for the first time ever. So no court storm???? Cmon man.
Thus why I don't think it's egregious.
But you are talking to someone who thinks we should only see a handful of storms every year.
I think a lot of places have manufacturing reasons where they haven't historically been.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

If it were my team, I would have preferred not to court storm. Creighton is a Top 15 team, spread was close, game was a blowout, and Creighton sees itself as a Final Four contender.
I just like storms to mean something, and to many storms takes away from the impact of the truly great ones.
They just beat the #1 team in the country for the first time ever. So no court storm???? Cmon man.
But you are talking to someone who thinks we should only see a handful of storms every year.
I think a lot of places have manufacturing reasons where they haven't historically been.
name some?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Did you actually go to college? I mean that sincerely. As a 20 year old college student whose team just beat the #1 team in the country you wouldn't storm? Cmon man.
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 months ago

name some?
Go google it. There's a court-storm every few days. Court-storms used to be incredible because of how infrequently they happened, you felt like you were witnessing something historic. Every win over a ranked opponent is not historic. I'm glad the SEC is fining programs $100k for an occurrence.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

name some?
Go google it. There's a court-storm every few days. Court-storms used to be incredible because of how infrequently they happened, you felt like you were witnessing something historic. Every win over a ranked opponent is not historic. I'm glad the SEC is fining programs $100k for an occurrence.
I don't have to. There hasn't been a one that was "egregious"...
storm.JPG
storm.JPG (28.25 KiB) Viewed 714 times
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Friday A10 Game:
  • Duquesne (-3.5) (16-10) @ Fordham (10-16) ESPN2 8:30pm
Fordham has lost 4 straight games
Duquesne looking to move up to .500

Duquesne next 5 games to close out A10 Conference Play::
@ Fordham, LaSalle, @ George Mason, @ VCU, George Washington

After starting (0-5) Duquesne is one of the hottest A10 Teams winning 7 of last 9 games

A10 Standings with remaining games for the Top 5 teams:
Top 4 Teams in Blue

1.Loyola (11-2) - George Mason, @ St Bonaventure, Dayton, @ Davidson, LaSalle
2.Richmond (11-2) - Davidson, @ St Louis, VCU, St Joseph's, @ GMU
3.Dayton (11-3) - Davidson, @ Loyola, @ St Louis, VCU
4.VCU (9-4) - St Joseph's, URI, @ Richmond, Duquesne, @ Dayton

5.UMass (8-6) - St Bonaventure, @ George Washington, @ Davidson, Fordham
6.George Mason (7-6)
7.St Joseph's (7-7)
8.St Bonaventure (7-7)
9.Duquesne (6-7)
10.Davidson (5-8)
11.URI (5-8) - @ LaSalle, @ VCU, St Louis, GMU, @ Fordham
12.Fordham (4-9)
13.LaSalle (4-10)
14.George Washington (3-10)
15.St Louis (2-11)
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Never mind post season appearances I wanna know when our next court storm will occur.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Saturday A10 Games:
  • St Bonaventure (16-10) @ UMass (-TBA) (17-9) 2:30pm
  • George Washington (14-12) @ St Louis (-TBA) (9-17) ESPN+ 3pm
  • George Mason (18-8) @Loyola (-TBA) (19-7) USA Net 4:30pm
  • Davidson (15-11) @ Richmond (-TBA) (19-7) ESPN+ 6pm
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 2 months ago Wednesday A10 Games:
  • St Bonaventure (-5.5) (16-9) @ LaSalle (12-14) ESPN+ 6:30pm
  • #16 Dayton (-2.5) (21-4) @ George Mason (17-8) ESPN+ 7pm
  • Richmond (-4.5) (18-7) @ URI (11-14) ESPN+ 7pm
  • George Washington (14-11) @ St Joseph's (-11.5) (16-10) ESPN+ 7pm
In 3 of today’s 4 games the visiting team is favored
LaSalle, George Mason, Richmond and St Joseph's winners

LaSalle beat St Bonaventure by 13 in the upset.
Fran Dunphy now reducing his rotation to only 7 players as typically does. Shepherd now a starter 9-15 FG, 4-8 3P for 23P and 7 R. Shepherd killed URI in last year's A10 Tournament opening game.
Pride only played 23 minutes for Bonnies. 1-4 FG, 0-1 3P for only 2 points and 2 rebounds

GMU got efficient production from several starters: Kelley 5-5 FG, Freshman PG Okogie now in starting line up 5-6 FG, Polite PG 5-7 FG - GMU now going with 2 PG's in their starting line up. GMU hit 24-29 FT's to only 10-14 for Dayton
Elvis was only 2-11 FG for Dayton

St Joseph's only beat a bad GW team by 4 points on their own home court.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Another Court Storming!!

Grand Canyon (23-2) NET = 46 loses

0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Looks like our Mohegan tournament was filled with 3 NCAA tourney teams and then us.

WSU ranked and atop the Pac-12: 12-4 and 21-6.

Northwestern 4th in Big 10 at 10-6 and 19-8 overall.

Miss St 7-6 and 18-8 overall.
1 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

#21 Washington State (21-6) (12-4) was picked to finish 10th preseason PAC 10

Washington State Upset #4 Ranked Arizona last night at Arizona and now WSU is in 1st place in PAC 12

Arizona was favored by 13.5 points

14,688 watched in frustration

Washington State has won 8 straight games after starting off 4-4 in conference play

Washington State starts 4 Forwards and 1 Guard, 1st guy off the bench is a 6'11" freshman center
Cluff 6'11" Junior - Forward
Wells 6'8" Junior - Forward
Jones 6'9" Senior - Forward
Jakimovski 6'8" Senior - Forward
Rice 6'3" Freshman - Guard
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

name some?
storm.JPG
PC stormed the court against #19 UConn like a decade ago. PC also stormed the court against #10 Seton Hall 4 years ago. PC stormed the court when they were ranked #11 and blew out Creighton 2 years ago.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 2 months ago Another Court Storming!!

Grand Canyon (23-2) NET = 46 loses

Exactly the type of game where a court storm is not warranted at all.

I absolutely love court storming, but when an 18-7 team at home, on a winning streak, beats a conference foe who isn’t even ranked, that’s just too far.

Yea they’re college kids, let them have fun, etc, etc, but I mean come on with this one.
0 x
Go Rhody
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Blue Man wrote: 2 months ago

storm.JPG
PC stormed the court against #19 UConn like a decade ago. PC also stormed the court against #10 Seton Hall 4 years ago. PC stormed the court when they were ranked #11 and blew out Creighton 2 years ago.
PC became the epitome of everything I disliked about the court-storm. Especially under Keno Davis/early Cooley, they were so bad that every win over a ranked opponent became a "storming" event. I think they've gotten it under control in recent years ... the only storming in the last 3 seasons (3 seasons with numerous ranked wins), was the clincher against Creighton in 2022 to win the BE regular season title, which was one of my personal "allowable" events.

I think there are two different arguments at play - there's the "let the college kids have fun argument" which is fine. But if you are asking me what should a court storm be for, it should be for something incredibly monumental. If every night you put on Sportscenter you see a court-storm, it diminishes the overall impact of a court-storm. That doesn't mean it's not fun, it's just the reality. The more something happens, the less incredible it becomes.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Has URI had a court storming at Ryan Center since it opened other than Nebraska?
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

ramster wrote: 2 months ago Has URI had a court storming at Ryan Center since it opened other than Nebraska?
Dayton/Quis buzzer beater in '09.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

storm.JPG
PC became the epitome of everything I disliked about the court-storm. Especially under Keno Davis/early Cooley, they were so bad that every win over a ranked opponent became a "storming" event. I think they've gotten it under control in recent years ... the only storming in the last 3 seasons (3 seasons with numerous ranked wins), was the clincher against Creighton in 2022 to win the BE regular season title, which was one of my personal "allowable" events.

I think there are two different arguments at play - there's the "let the college kids have fun argument" which is fine. But if you are asking me what should a court storm be for, it should be for something incredibly monumental. If every night you put on Sportscenter you see a court-storm, it diminishes the overall impact of a court-storm. That doesn't mean it's not fun, it's just the reality. The more something happens, the less incredible it becomes.
To be fair, I think all of those court stormings PC has done are fair game.

I think "monumental" is a relative term.

For PC, that win against UConn and the win against Seton Hall I think were relatively monumental. I had no problem with them. I think the bar moves relative to where a team is both in that moment and historically. PC had sucked and looked hopeless. Until Cooley really broke through URI and PC's timelines were unfortunately similar.

Creighton was right to rush the floor. You had a juggernaut of a UConn team, probably the most complete team in college basketball, unanimous #1 for over a month, and you've never knocked off #1? I don't care if you're #15 or #5, you get your ass on that floor if you're a fan.

There are some teams that should never storm the floor no matter what - Kansas, Duke, UNC, UConn, UCLA, Kentucky.

But for everyone else? Not everyone has beaten a ranked team...I mean for a lot of Rhody fans in 2015 when beating Nebraska, the students probably legitimately do not remember URI EVER beating a ranked team. we went 16 years at that point. That in and of itself was a huge accomplishment.

And I think court stormings aren't too much more common than they used to be, the only thing that changes is that every game is streamed and everyone has a video camera in their pocket.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 2 months ago Has URI had a court storming at Ryan Center since it opened other than Nebraska?
Mini court storms against PC in 2009 and against UMass a couple years after that as well.
0 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Was that it for Court Storms in the Ryan Center? Seems right to me from my memory.

Last court storm at Keaney?
Last court storm at Damp?

Does not appear that we are guilty of court storming abuse.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I posted about it in this thread a couple days ago, but there was a court storm in '03 for the Seton Hall NIT win. Wasn't there a court storm after the USC win in the first Ryan Center game to? I feel like I remember hopping over some seats and running out there.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Was that it for Court Storms in the Ryan Center? Seems right to me from my memory.

Last court storm at Keaney?
Last court storm at Damp?

Does not appear that we are guilty of court storming abuse.
Look above, couple others that were not a full on storm but group of kids did rush the court.

It was pretty embarrassing lol
0 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

adam914 wrote: 2 months ago I posted about it in this thread a couple days ago, but there was a court storm in '03 for the Seton Hall NIT win. Wasn't there a court storm after the USC win in the first Ryan Center game to? I feel like I remember hopping over some seats and running out there.
I was at the USC game but honestly don’t remember.

Excessive Court storming seems a distant dream these days. More like a gentle drizzle towards the exit doors.

I’m envious of any school that finds court storming a fun thing to do. Seems the low majors and mid majors find it fun within their conference competitions.

Likelihood of getting a Top 25 team into a low major or mid major arena is close to zero and getting closer, never mind the low/mid major even winning the game. Got to take every court storming opportunity you can get.
Last edited by ramster 2 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

How about a court storm for excessively losing? Like a protest storm? Has that ever happened?
1 x
JFrech21
Jeff Kent

Unread post by JFrech21 »

Pretty sure we had a court storming for the USC game that opened the Ryan Center. I know there were a few others. I remember Seton Hall. I can't specifically remember others. I do remember getting hit with a flying Twizzler storming the court when we beat UMass at the Civic Center in the early 90's. I was 12 I think. I also do remember Jim Baron grabbing the mic after winning big games and yelling his thanks to the crowd. I wasn't a huge fan of that....
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

adam914 wrote: 2 months ago I posted about it in this thread a couple days ago, but there was a court storm in '03 for the Seton Hall NIT win. Wasn't there a court storm after the USC win in the first Ryan Center game to? I feel like I remember hopping over some seats and running out there.
Excessive Court storming seems a distant dream these days. More like a gentle drizzle towards the exit doors.
That's for sure. I wish we had some court storms that we could be debating about these days.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

JFrech21 wrote: 2 months ago Pretty sure we had a court storming for the USC game that opened the Ryan Center. I know there were a few others. I remember Seton Hall. I can't specifically remember others. I do remember getting hit with a flying Twizzler storming the court when we beat UMass at the Civic Center in the early 90's. I was 12 I think. I also do remember Jim Baron grabbing the mic after winning big games and yelling his thanks to the crowd. I wasn't a huge fan of that....
The good thing is Baron didn’t win too many big games.
2 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

theblueram wrote: 2 months ago How about a court storm for excessively losing? Like a protest storm? Has that ever happened?
Kind of!

2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

SGreenwell wrote: 2 months ago
theblueram wrote: 2 months ago How about a court storm for excessively losing? Like a protest storm? Has that ever happened?
Kind of!

That is classic. Thanks for that!
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 2 months ago Friday A10 Game:

After starting (0-5) Duquesne is one of the hottest A10 Teams winning 7 of last 9 games

Top 4 Teams in Blue

6.George Mason (7-6)
7.St Joseph's (7-7)
8.St Bonaventure (7-7)
9.Duquesne (6-7)
10.Davidson (5-8)
12.Fordham (4-9)
13.LaSalle (4-10)
15.St Louis (2-11)
I’d like to see Loyola or Richmond win the conf regular season be a great achievement for them after Dayton was the big favorite early in the conf season
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

reef wrote: 2 months ago

Top 4 Teams in Blue

6.George Mason (7-6)
7.St Joseph's (7-7)
8.St Bonaventure (7-7)
9.Duquesne (6-7)
10.Davidson (5-8)
12.Fordham (4-9)
13.LaSalle (4-10)
15.St Louis (2-11)
I’d like to see Loyola or Richmond win the conf regular season be a great achievement for them after Dayton was the big favorite early in the conf season
It also wouldn't bother me if either of those two win the A10T, as a matter of fact I would rather them over Dayton.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 2 months ago

Top 4 Teams in Blue

6.George Mason (7-6)
7.St Joseph's (7-7)
8.St Bonaventure (7-7)
9.Duquesne (6-7)
10.Davidson (5-8)
12.Fordham (4-9)
13.LaSalle (4-10)
15.St Louis (2-11)
It also wouldn't bother me if either of those two win the A10T, as a matter of fact I would rather them over Dayton.
Neither are dancing unless they win the A10 Tournament, so why not?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Yep, my thoughts also.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Yep, my thoughts also.
I agree. It is unfortunate, disappointing, frustrating, etc. But, the A10 teams have no one to blame but themselves because they didn’t win enough key OCC games when they had opportunities to do so.

The A10 is the 8th ranked NET conference and despite that will only end up with 1-2 teams in the NCAAT when the 8th ranked conference is probably good for 3-4 teams in. The conference just didn’t do what it needed to do.

Like Jersey said several days ago, the A10 coaches need to up their game.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Bracketmatrix has 6 MWC teams in the field where are they ranked in conference NET ?
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

reef wrote: 2 months ago Bracketmatrix has 6 MWC teams in the field where are they ranked in conference NET ?
7th ? I think. I will double check.

ETA: MWC is 7 currently.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

BRONX, N.Y. – The Fordham University Rams continue the 2023-2024 season, Fordham's 121st varsity season, and continue Atlantic 10 play by hosting the Duquesne University Dukes in the historic Rose Hill Gym on Friday, February 23, at 8:30 p.m. in a White Out game. There will be free white t-shirts for all fans in attendance and free pizza for Fordham students.

Alcohol will be available for purchase inside The Rose Hill Gym. Fordham and Aramark have set up a special bar in the balcony of the Rose Hill Gym, where fans 21 and older will be able to enjoy an adult beverage during the game. Dagger John's style service will also be available once again in room 112 of the Joseph McShane Student Center.

The game will be televised live on ESPN2 with Mike Corey (PxP) and Dalen Cuff (analyst) announcing as well as broadcast on WFUV (90.7 FM) and the WFUV Sports YouTube page with Kris Pursiainen (PxP) and Colin Loughran (analyst) behind the mics.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 months ago
reef wrote: 2 months ago Bracketmatrix has 6 MWC teams in the field where are they ranked in conference NET ?

Is it another argument for less is more?
I haven't really vetted out this thought entirely.
MWC is 7th in NET but they don't have mediocre teams, the teams are either above average or suck.
If you look at NETs in the MWC, they run 18, 20, 26, 31, 35, 42, 87, 158, 207, 241, and 273.
Compare to the A10 - 19, 70, 75, 77, 79, 83, 98, 99, 101, 112, 187, 197, 198, 208, 222.
How do you get the group from 70-83 to 40-53?
That alone is a 2-3 bid swing.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

MWC is 7th in NET but they don't have mediocre teams, the teams are either above average or suck.
If you look at NETs in the MWC, they run 18, 20, 26, 31, 35, 42, 87, 158, 207, 241, and 273.
Compare to the A10 - 19, 70, 75, 77, 79, 83, 98, 99, 101, 112, 187, 197, 198, 208, 222.
Have P5 teams sack up and play them H&H or Neutral and then win.

(Also don’t shit your pants against beatable OOC teams)
1 x
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

PAC 12 has 2 team dancing now and ahead of the MWC in NET ?
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Rhody15 wrote: 2 months ago

Have P5 teams sack up and play them H&H or Neutral and then win.

(Also don’t shit your pants against beatable OOC teams)
Well thing 1 is not going to happen, so should probably focus on how to replicate the MWC model.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

After Dayton, the next five teams in NET in the A-10 have combined for five wins against Q1 teams, and 15 wins against Q2 teams. It's not like they've had a ton of opportunities - most of those five teams have 3 or 4 games played Q1 - but they haven't really taken advantage either.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Ooph. This Duq v. Fordham game is ugly. Maybe the 2nd half will be better.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 months ago Ooph. This Duq v. Fordham game is ugly. Maybe the 2nd half will be better.
I switched to ELR...more entertaining
Plus, I love the way they just roll from one episode to another with no commercial.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Saturday A10 Games:
  • St Bonaventure (16-10) @ UMass (-4.5) (17-9) 2:30pm
  • George Washington (14-12) @ St Louis (-4.5) (9-17) ESPN+ 3pm
  • George Mason (18-8) @ Loyola (-3.5) (19-7) USA Net 4:30pm
  • Davidson (15-11) @ Richmond (-5.5) (19-7) ESPN+ 6pm
All 4 home teams are favored

#2 Houston @ #11 Baylor at noon CBS. Houston -2.5
Last edited by ramster 2 months ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 months ago Ooph. This Duq v. Fordham game is ugly. Maybe the 2nd half will be better.
It was. Fordham wins by 12
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Attention YouTube TV subscribers/users, PSA:

If you use YouTube TV you know there has never been a "back" button to go back to your previous channel, which was annoying. They've finally implemented this feature. If you hold down the "OK" button for more than just a quick click, you'll go back to the previous channel. Way easier to flip between two channels now.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Fordham hosted Duquesne yesterday at tiny Rose Hill Gym in an ESPN Friday night A-10 showcase game. URI has gone the last two full seasons without an ESPN Friday league game as it last appeared in January of 2022 in a game at Dayton. This pretty much tells you where Rhody hoops stands in the league these days.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I’m thinking Mason going to win @ Loyola today
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 2 months ago I’m thinking Mason going to win @ Loyola today
I like what Tony Skinn has done; they are a good team.
Anything can happen, nothing surprises me at this point.
0 x