2024 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: 2024 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by reef »

How bout Eddie Cooley is it a nightmare first season for him ??
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

reef wrote: 2 months ago How bout Eddie Cooley is it a nightmare first season for him ??
Yes.

He must be absolutely miserable.

Thing is, he deserves it.
1 x
Go Rhody
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

6 Million a year.......
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

What never ceases to amaze me, are people who make millions a year feel like they need to make more.

Like, how much more does one need?

A guy who makes 30 mil a year holds out for 35.

Pure greed.

I couldn't possibly spend that much if I tried.

And the poor folks pay for it up the ass when beers cost 15 bucks and seats cost thousands.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rjv wrote: 2 months ago 6 Million a year.......
Pretty good "absolutely miserable" if you can get it?
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 months ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 months ago

Nightmare first season for Rhoades.

Under .500 in conference, overall, and now this.

Most everyone knew it was strictly a money grab and wasn’t a move for basketball reasons.

He won’t last long there.
Nightmare??? Huh? The guy took over a team that went to the Sweet 16 last year and returned zero (zero) impact players. The fact they've got six Big Ten wins and has his team competitive in the Big Ten...to me, this team has overachieved.
Penn State upset #12 Illinois 90-89
Ace Baldwin played all 40 minutes scoring 10 points with a game high 12 assists. Baldwin last year won the A10 Offensive and Defensive POY Awards. He was the 4th A10 Player ever to win both awards with Bones Hyland being the last to do so.

The attached article by David Jones of Pennlive describes very well the situation with Clary.

https://www.pennlive.com/penn-state-men ... utType=amp
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

1 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

ramster wrote: 2 months ago
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 months ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 months ago

Nightmare first season for Rhoades.

Under .500 in conference, overall, and now this.

Most everyone knew it was strictly a money grab and wasn’t a move for basketball reasons.

He won’t last long there.
Nightmare??? Huh? The guy took over a team that went to the Sweet 16 last year and returned zero (zero) impact players. The fact they've got six Big Ten wins and has his team competitive in the Big Ten...to me, this team has overachieved.
Penn State upset #12 Illinois 90-89
Ace Baldwin played all 40 minutes scoring 10 points with a game high 12 assists. Baldwin last year won the A10 Offensive and Defensive POY Awards. He was the 4th A10 Player ever to win both awards with Bones Hyland being the last to do so.

The attached article by David Jones of Pennlive describes very well the situation with Clary.

https://www.pennlive.com/penn-state-men ... utType=amp
It's such a "nightmare" for Penn State that they beat #12 Illinois. Maybe you meant nightmare for Illinois? Kudos to Rhoades and the Penn State students for last night's win at ol' Rec Hall.

Under .500 in the Big Ten...well I don't think he thought they'd be in the upper half of the league in year one. Just a guess on my part. (Maybe, I'm wrong...perhaps he thought he'd beat out Purdue for the Big Ten title in his first year with zero returning starters/impact players.) And how many times has PSU finished over .500 in the Big Ten? I don't think it's happened a lot.

Can you clarify "won't last long there" means? Will he be there for 4 years? 3? Less?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 2 months ago
Jeez some of these refs the way they grant technicals unbelievable
0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

There’s discussion of Keith Dambrot retiring at the end of the season and Duquesne elevating associate head coach Dru Joyce.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Joyce is the former high school teammate of LeBron James
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Ramfan22 wrote: 1 month ago There’s discussion of Keith Dambrot retiring at the end of the season and Duquesne elevating associate head coach Dru Joyce.
Speculation was already high before the season that this might be it for Dambrot. The health of his wife and the Dukes performance (had higher expectations) this season have only increased the talk.
0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

RF1 wrote: 1 month ago
Ramfan22 wrote: 1 month ago There’s discussion of Keith Dambrot retiring at the end of the season and Duquesne elevating associate head coach Dru Joyce.
Speculation was already high before the season that this might be it for Dambrot. The health of his wife and the Dukes performance (had higher expectations) this season have only increased the talk.
It’s likely Fran Dunphy retires too
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Ramfan22 wrote: 1 month ago
He has done a very admirable job stabilizing the ship, 22. He is a good basketball coach.

Separately, I thought the school was in serious trouble with the financial rumors floating around it.

I have no idea if the school is out of the woods financially yet and therefore their athletics programs as well.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 month ago

He has done a very admirable job stabilizing the ship, 22. He is a good basketball coach.

Separately, I thought the school was in serious trouble with the financial rumors floating around it.

I have no idea if the school is out of the woods financially yet and therefore their athletics programs as well.
They went 15-19 last year, and they're 14-15 so far this year and likely headed for another rebuild or transition once he retires again. I guess it's good that they avoided a disastrous hire, but it feels like they just kicked the can down the road for two years (or more) with his hiring.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 month ago

They went 15-19 last year, and they're 14-15 so far this year and likely headed for another rebuild or transition once he retires again. I guess it's good that they avoided a disastrous hire, but it feels like they just kicked the can down the road for two years (or more) with his hiring.
Good points, SG. And they are in for a rebuild, no doubt. I have no idea what they expect their program to be, if they have a sustainable plan to compete in the A10 or drop down a division to lessen the financial burden.

I am speculating, SG, but Dunphy probably did what the administration expected - avoid a program meltdown and buy us time until we can figure out next steps regarding the future of the school, athletics and basketball.

He could have retired before and said no and not end his further hurt his career record. But, he did and that is admirable.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Good points, SG. And they are in for a rebuild, no doubt. I have no idea what they expect their program to be, if they have a sustainable plan to compete in the A10 or drop down a division to lessen the financial burden.

I am speculating, SG, but Dunphy probably did what the administration expected - avoid a program meltdown until and buy us time until we can figure out next steps regarding the future of the school, athletics and basketball.

He could have retired before and said no and not end his further hurt his career record. But, he did and that is admirable.
A10 has been lucky to have some true legends at the helm of programs.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Would hope Dunphy coaches again next season he’s a great hoops mind
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

I wonder if they would promote La Salle legend Donnie Carr, or if he would remain on the staff.

I would think Matt Langel would be a leading candidate, if he has any interest.
1 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Jersey77 wrote: 1 month ago

I wonder if they would promote La Salle legend Donnie Carr, or if he would remain on the staff.

Word on the street is Billy Lange is probably out at Saint joes. I could see Langel there.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Word on the street is Billy Lange is probably out at Saint joes. I could see Langel there.
Maybe, I don't know.

I thought his seat would be getting pretty warm a couple of years ago, but last year they gave him an extension.

They have disappointed in conference play this season and are below expectations.

He did bring in a strong recruiting class this past season and should have plenty of talent returning.
So maybe they give him another year or not.
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

Langel might be able to do better. Amazing that Greg Marshall never got another shot.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Good find 77, Sprinkle only 1 year @ Utah St now gets a P5 job with Washington moving to the Big 10
1 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

William and Mary are moving on from Dane Fischer. Would imagine William and Mary alum David Cox would at least get a look. Multiple years as a High Major assistant, and a record that sits above .500 with URI in a competitive A-10. He still has a great reputation in the DC area, and has worked towards solidifying that as an assistant at Maryland.

Not saying he gets the job (or that he would want it?) but interesting to follow.
1 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Bos8 wrote: 1 month ago William and Mary are moving on from Dane Fischer. Would imagine William and Mary alum David Cox would at least get a look. Multiple years as a High Major assistant, and a record that sits above .500 with URI in a competitive A-10. He still has a great reputation in the DC area, and has worked towards solidifying that as an assistant at Maryland.

Not saying he gets the job (or that he would want it?) but interesting to follow.
Heard his name mentioned for the job, like you said will be an interesting situation to follow
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

0 x
BobfromMatunuck
Michael Andersen

Unread post by BobfromMatunuck »

Wishing nothing but the best for Coach Cox
5 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Bos8 wrote: 1 month ago William and Mary are moving on from Dane Fischer. Would imagine William and Mary alum David Cox would at least get a look. Multiple years as a High Major assistant, and a record that sits above .500 with URI in a competitive A-10. He still has a great reputation in the DC area, and has worked towards solidifying that as an assistant at Maryland.

Good call Bos
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

“Guess that will be the last question”

Awkward time of year for HC’s and AD’s

1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

That is absolutely bizarre that either she went out there for the postgame presser, or that they made her go out there for it. Or that they just didn't wait until after it to fire her.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

ramster wrote: 1 month ago “Guess that will be the last question”

I saw this earlier. How much of an asshole do you have to be to fire her like this? Then again, her record as the head coach was absolutely awful.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote: 1 month ago “Guess that will be the last question”

The Utah State AD is going to be very busy having to hire both a men's and women's basketball coach at the same time.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I think the coaching carousel is about 20 teams right now. Too many to list.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

“Going in a different direction”, classic.
0 x
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

That...was bizarre. Why would she go out there? Maybe they told her if she didn't, she would have to walk home? Surely, she could have found something to do in Vegas until a good flight option popped up. Man, if you're going to go out there...you go out there and have fun with it, or just tell folks to catch up with you at the bar... missed opportunity there.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Still far from a done deal, Dick Weiss is a reliable insider.

0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 1 month ago Still far from a done deal, Dick Weiss is a reliable insider.

Maybe Dick is right that it happens, but he's high if thinks that's a 'good move' for anyone. Travis Ford may not have a job next year, that will be just about even with having the DePaul job, except for the pay part, won't it?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 month ago Still far from a done deal, Dick Weiss is a reliable insider.

Wow , DePaul fans have to be giddy with that news lol
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 month ago

Maybe Dick is right that it happens, but he's high if thinks that's a 'good move' for anyone. Travis Ford may not have a job next year, that will be just about even with having the DePaul job, except for the pay part, won't it?
Rumors are that Moser isn't happy at Oklahoma.

He is from the Chicago area and had coached at Loyola for 10 years with success.
Opportunity to come back home and coach in the BE.
Besides coaches feel they can turn things around and maybe bring Depaul back to their old glory days.
If the money is there why not, he has many connections in the area.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

0 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 1 month ago
I guess we can't believe the rumor mill.

There must have been enough going around that Moser felt it necessary to answer back.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Interesting response from Moser

Hope he takes the DePaul gig and we can look back on that tweet
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 1 month ago Interesting response from Moser

Reef, you seem like a decent fellow, why would you wish that (the DePaul gig) on anyone? ;)
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 month ago
reef wrote: 1 month ago Interesting response from Moser

Reef, you seem like a decent fellow, why would you wish that (the DePaul gig) on anyone? ;)
Doesn’t have anything to do with DePaul it’s just coaches in general when they come out saying they are staying when they end up leaving , kind of like Nick Saban with the Dolphins when he went to Bama
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Kevin Keatts supposedly out at NC whenever they lose in their conference tournament.

Wonder if they’d even bring up Archie’s name as a replacement.

Highly doubt it.
0 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Payne is out at Louisville - just announced
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 1 month ago Payne is out at Louisville - just announced
Yeah good call Ramster , we speculated that it was a questionable hire and it turned out to be an epic fail !

Who is on Louisville short list ?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 1 month ago
ramster wrote: 1 month ago Payne is out at Louisville - just announced
Yeah good call Ramster , we speculated that it was a questionable hire and it turned out to be an epic fail !

Who is on Louisville short list ?
Here is an early list of 10 names from sports illustrated

https://www.si.com/college/2024/03/13/t ... nes-firing
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice find Ramster , I would like to see them throw a bag @ Coach Muss from Arkansas
0 x