2/18 | Loyola Chicago | 12:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Re: 2/18 | Loyola Chicago | 12:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 months ago
RhodyKyle wrote: 2 months ago I feel like Cam hit the freshman wall. I constantly see him lose his guy on defense thinking there is going to be a switch on a screen when no one else does and it leaves a wide open 3 every time. I look forward to him spending the offseason figuring things out and learning the defensive scheme.
RhodyKyle, if you haven’t watched or read the Pack-line D (also known as sagging man to man) vid’s and article in hrstrat57’s Packline Explained thread, I highly recommend adding it to your offseason reading & watching (note: there is a part 2 to the vid 57 posted that should be watched too).

I have watched both vids and read the article. Good stuff. Our breakdowns on D jump out at me now after reading and watching what 57 posted. The good D plays do too - they just happen less often than the bad ones, unfortunately.

A big thanks to 57 for posting that thread !
I did watch both parts. It just seems like Cam is struggling with the communication part the most.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Bite the bullet season. Next season the true judgment begins
4 x
GO RAMS
BruceW
Michael Andersen

Unread post by BruceW »

Concerning the merits of the A-10 debate. The conference wanted to have a more national presence. By having a team in Chicago they opened up a previously untapped market. Not just for exposure but also for recruiting. I am very surprised that they have not added 2 more teams yet. I foresee Atlanta and another North Carolina school perhaps. The conference must move with the times. If they are not one of the top four or five conferences in the country then in reality they are not relevant. That must change and adding the right regional schools will help that.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

BruceW wrote: 2 months ago Concerning the merits of the A-10 debate. The conference wanted to have a more national presence. By having a team in Chicago they opened up a previously untapped market. Not just for exposure but also for recruiting. I am very surprised that they have not added 2 more teams yet. I foresee Atlanta and another North Carolina school perhaps. The conference must move with the times. If they are not one of the top four or five conferences in the country then in reality they are not relevant. That must change and adding the right regional schools will help that.
So you think A10 should go to 17 teams by adding 2 more?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ramster wrote: 2 months ago
BruceW wrote: 2 months ago Concerning the merits of the A-10 debate. The conference wanted to have a more national presence. By having a team in Chicago they opened up a previously untapped market. Not just for exposure but also for recruiting. I am very surprised that they have not added 2 more teams yet. I foresee Atlanta and another North Carolina school perhaps. The conference must move with the times. If they are not one of the top four or five conferences in the country then in reality they are not relevant. That must change and adding the right regional schools will help that.
In Bernie's recent interview with Goodman, she said they will not add any schools just for the sake of increasing conference membership. They are in no rush and will only go to 16 schools if that program will be a good fit and add value to the conference, as was the case with Loyola bringing the number to 15.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 months ago
ramster wrote: 2 months ago
In Bernie's recent interview with Goodman, she said they will not add any schools just for the sake of increasing conference membership. They are in no rush and will only go to 16 schools if that program will be a good fit and add value to the conference, as was the case with Loyola bringing the number to 15.
Correct, but Bruce was saying he would like to see 2 more schools added. One in Atlanta and another in the Carolina area perhaps.
Just getting clarification from him on whether he wants 2 or 2 more added.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Sure, let's just further dilute our already watered-down league. Imagine finishing 16th in an 18-member one-bid league.
5 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
BruceW
Michael Andersen

Unread post by BruceW »

Hi ramster, yes I believe the conference is marred in a geographic sense and must add at least an Atlanta area school. Atlanta along with Chicago will automatically upgrade this conference.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Loyola getting national recognition being 35th in Andy Katz power rankings.
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 months ago
Sure, let's just further dilute our already watered-down league. Imagine finishing 16th in an 18-member one-bid league.
16th in a league with "10" in the name...
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I've reached the acceptance stage of grieving. I've made peace with the fact that we are probably never going back to the NCAAT in my lifetime.

Once you do that, everything is fine. No worries, no anxieties, no need to argue with anyone.
2 x
BruceW
Michael Andersen

Unread post by BruceW »

Well look at the Big 10. They added more and more.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I forgot the season was still going on, how we doing? That’s how much I don’t give a bleep right now.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 months ago

Loyola getting national recognition being 35th in Andy Katz power rankings.
See what beating the powerhouse Rhody Rams at the RC will do for a team?

:)
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

jcru wrote: 2 months ago I've reached the acceptance stage of grieving. I've made peace with the fact that we are probably never going back to the NCAAT in my lifetime.

Once you do that, everything is fine. No worries, no anxieties, no need to argue with anyone.
Totally agree. Just go to the games, follow the team goings on. Enjoy the RC for what it is. Players will come and go, same with coaches. Being on campus remembering the days of classes and games in Keaney, seeing Dr. J with UMass. And honestly thinking on the Metro North train down to MSG playing NIT with UNC that this might as good as it going to be. Took me long time after Hurley left to get me here, but here I am. Rooting for the laundry always. My Dad was on Coach Keaney Rosters in late 30’s so this URI hoops thing has been long ride. Go Rhody.
5 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

section(105) wrote: 2 months ago
jcru wrote: 2 months ago I've reached the acceptance stage of grieving. I've made peace with the fact that we are probably never going back to the NCAAT in my lifetime.

Totally agree. Just go to the games, follow the team goings on. Enjoy the RC for what it is. Players will come and go, same with coaches. Being on campus remembering the days of classes and games in Keaney, seeing Dr. J with UMass. And honestly thinking on the Metro North train down to MSG playing NIT with UNC that this might as good as it going to be. Took me long time after Hurley left to get me here, but here I am. Rooting for the laundry always. My Dad was on Coach Keaney Rosters in late 30’s so this URI hoops thing has been long ride. Go Rhody.
WOW, didn't know that about your dad. After all these years. See you Wednesday for another night of punishment. :lol:
2 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Strong agree. We’re 5 m from campus and tho watching the team lose and listening to Yorke nonsense and the bizarre PA volume levels ( mostly solved by Vibe ear plugs) we really are blessed to enjoy the games. As a long time hoops coach myself I enjoy watching what Miller is trying to do. URI and HS hockey games at Boss are also great fun.

I do understand our more negative members who can’t enjoy the games in person and suffer remotely via TV tho suggesting Miller is even close to the hot seat is ridiculous.

Suffering in person is more fun and we have a first class building to suffer in. 😎
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

BruceW wrote: 2 months ago Well look at the Big 10. They added more and more.
There's a huge difference between adding UCLA and USC and adding Georgia State snd Elon.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 months ago
16 makes a little more sense than 15 or 17
A lot will depend on what schools move conferences in the rest of the country
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 2 months ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 months ago

16 makes a little more sense than 15 or 17
A lot will depend on what schools move conferences in the rest of the country
Does it though Reef? I mean if the A10 at 15 is a one bid league, and the same at 16, why bother? Just go to an 8 team league. Then you only need to win 3 games in the conference tournament.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Plus, it will be a very pleasant surprise if we do make the NCAAT again in the next few years. I am not far behind you Jcru - don’t have the luxury of time anymore.

Carry on my fellow Rhody alum and fan.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 months ago

Plus, it will be a very pleasant surprise if we do make the NCAAT again in the next few years. I am not far behind you Jcru - don’t have the luxury of time anymore.

Carry on my fellow Rhody alum and fan.
I often wonder what our program will look like in 20 years. I mean, I'll be dead, but I still wonder. :lol:
1 x
KeaneyTheChemist
Abdul Fox

Unread post by KeaneyTheChemist »

All we need is a down year for the A10 where we have an offense and defense that is slightly above average. If that happens, we have a chance at possibly winning the A10 tournament. I would say it will be a long time before we go back to the NCAAT as an at-large but that we still have a chance during years 3-5 of the Archie era in sneaking in as an autobid with the right player depth and luck. This year is obviously far from the dream though lol
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

KeaneyTheChemist wrote: 2 months ago

All we need is a down year for the A10 where we have an offense and defense that is slightly above average. If that happens, we have a chance at possibly winning the A10 tournament. I would say it will be a long time before we go back to the NCAAT as an at-large but that we still have a chance during years 3-5 of the Archie era in sneaking in as an autobid with the right player depth and luck. This year is obviously far from the dream though lol
If that's the case the A10 is dead. I would rather we break apart and form new conferences.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

KeaneyTheChemist wrote: 2 months ago

Yeah that’s what I’m thinking also , I think it’s unlikely we dance within the next couple of years but by 2028 we may get in
We like years that end in 8 so I will go with that
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 months ago Bite the bullet season. Next season the true judgment begins
Grammatical correction. seasonS
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

the last drought lasted 1"8" years hopefully that is not the case.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Huge disservice
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Amen, 105!! 🙏🏼
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

I'm Still a believer in Archie Miller . I can see the possibility of an at large bid in 2 or 3 more seasons . Maybe people aren't recognizing it , but the talent level this season as apposed to last season is significantly both younger and better . If the younger players on this roster such as Estevez , Foumena ,
Fuchs and even Dubsky follow a normal level of progression over the next couple of seasons or so , and the incoming freshmen and whomever else is
added to the roster become contributors , the potential is shaping up . Archie will turn this thing around and it has already started , though it is like watching new grass seed grow . Before you know it , the bare spots have filled in while you weren't paying close attention . Last season was awful ,
this season is baby steps . Hopefully , next season the team becomes respectable and on its way to becoming a solid winner . look where Loyola Chigaco was last season . The have gone from worst to near the top of the league at this point . They aren't that good either , but are a step ahead of URI right now . Things can change very fast though , so pay attention.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

luke wrote: 2 months ago I'm Still a believer in Archie Miller . I can see the possibility of an at large bid in 2 or 3 more seasons . Maybe people aren't recognizing it , but the talent level this season as apposed to last season is significantly both younger and better . If the younger players on this roster such as Estevez , Foumena ,
Fuchs and even Dubsky follow a normal level of progression over the next couple of seasons or so , and the incoming freshmen and whomever else is
added to the roster become contributors , the potential is shaping up . Archie will turn this thing around and it has already started , though it is like watching new grass seed grow . Before you know it , the bare spots have filled in while you weren't paying close attention . Last season was awful ,
this season is baby steps . Hopefully , next season the team becomes respectable and on its way to becoming a solid winner . look where Loyola Chigaco was last season . The have gone from worst to near the top of the league at this point . They aren't that good either , but are a step ahead of URI right now . Things can change very fast though , so pay attention.
You may be right on this and I hope you are , I’m just not as confident now as I was a year ago
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

luke wrote: 2 months ago I'm Still a believer in Archie Miller . I can see the possibility of an at large bid in 2 or 3 more seasons . Maybe people aren't recognizing it , but the talent level this season as apposed to last season is significantly both younger and better . If the younger players on this roster such as Estevez , Foumena ,
If we had their exact same record, schedule, and metrics, would you be saying we’re “not that good?”

I highly doubt it.

They are tied for first with Dayton.

Most people here would be jumping for joy and saying we have a great shot at winning the A10 tourney. We’d be saying the NET screws mid majors, etc etc.

When we were 3-0 we had people talking about winning the A10 tourney, I can only imagine what people would be saying if we were 19-7 and 11-2 in league play.
3 x
Go Rhody
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

If we had their exact same record, schedule, and metrics, would you be saying we’re “not that good?”

I highly doubt it.

Most people here would be jumping for joy and saying we have a great shot at winning the A10 tourney. We’d be saying the NET screws mid majors, etc etc.

When we were 3-0 we had people talking about winning the A10 tourney, I can only imagine what people would be saying if we were 19-7 and 11-2 in league play.
Agree, plus the fact that in at least one power ranking pole they are ranked 35-36. I'd be stoked if that was URI, especially with the relatively soft schedule Loyola has had. Crazy!
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I highly doubt it.

We beat Seton Hall and many thought we could be a sweet 16 team. We overreact from a 4 game winning streak, never mind what Loyola is doing. I wish people would admit when ex-players are good, or opponents are good. The Loyola team playing right now is very good. It makes us look like dumb fans.

Luke, I'm not getting into specifics, but I heard some concerning news about this team before the Loyola game. If it's true, keeping our key pieces will be very hard. We'll see, but it seems like amateurs run this program. I'll give you an example on my end. During the offseason, I contacted the ticket office and told them I wanted to buy season tickets on the floor. The ticket office was great. They told me I needed to talk to the people who handle donations. I had a call scheduled with them on a Thursday afternoon. They did not pick up. Then I called them 5 times. Left five voicemails. I left multiple emails—absolutely no response. I reached back out to the ticket office. They told me, "Ugh, I'm sorry, this can happen a lot." After trying to get these tickets for two months, I emailed the ticket office and said I was done. Just give me the tickets in 211.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I highly doubt it.

IDK as one of the fanboys that would probably be jumping for joy if we had Loyola's record - I'd also be the first one to defend saying that we hadn't really beat anyone either. Because I said that the entirety of the Baron era (and post-Baron era when people were comparing Dan Hurley to Jim Baron - remember when people were doing that BTW? In year FIVE? Just a good thing to remember while everyone gets impatient in year TWO of a rebuild).

Like yeah. Loyola is vastly improved from last year. They're having a good A10 season. They're still a bad loss on our schedule. A Q3.

I wasn't as impressed with them on Sunday as I was appalled at how terrible we played and how we didn't do anything to stop them, specifically Adelekun, from getting to the basket. We played basically 7 guys who looked pretty tired against a team that ran the whole bench at us.

Regardless of that, if you're going to win 20 games and aren't breaking into a double-digit NET - you obviously haven't beaten anyone worth beating.

Credit to them - they've beaten teams they're supposed to. But they also haven't beaten anyone good in the general sense.

Someone brought up their OOC SOS like it matters. OK so they got 2 really good teams on their schedule to help bolster their metrics. How'd they do? losses by 13 and 23 points. They added in a Q3 and Q4 loss for good measure though. They did manage to rack up 4 wins against teams outside of the top 300. For everyone complaining about who URI played - we only played 1 team north of 250.

How does that help the A10 again? They're just another mediocre team that didn't do enough in the OOC to warrant an at-large bid, yet is good enough to beat anyone in the conference - except for the top 75 teams they play.

Again - Loyola is a better conference member than Fordham, Duquesne, GW, or La Salle. They were probably the "best available" team to add. And if the argument was to kick 3 or 4 of those programs out and add in Loyola? That's a home run.

But you added another team to chop the pot with that isn't capable of being an at-large team themselves. They've actually never been an at-large bid.

So maybe my complaint about Loyola is just that they're the an extra mediocre team in a league that has too many of them. Yeah, of course we'd love if URI had their record this year. But then we'd still have our super optimistic fans on this board complaining that we hadn't beaten anyone good, so who cares.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 2 months ago

I highly doubt it.

IDK as one of the fanboys that would probably be jumping for joy if we had Loyola's record - I'd also be the first one to defend saying that we hadn't really beat anyone either. Because I said that the entirety of the Baron era (and post-Baron era when people were comparing Dan Hurley to Jim Baron - remember when people were doing that BTW? In year FIVE? Just a good thing to remember while everyone gets impatient in year TWO of a rebuild).

Like yeah. Loyola is vastly improved from last year. They're having a good A10 season. They're still a bad loss on our schedule. A Q3.

I wasn't as impressed with them on Sunday as I was appalled at how terrible we played and how we didn't do anything to stop them, specifically Adelekun, from getting to the basket. We played basically 7 guys who looked pretty tired against a team that ran the whole bench at us.

Regardless of that, if you're going to win 20 games and aren't breaking into a double-digit NET - you obviously haven't beaten anyone worth beating.

Credit to them - they've beaten teams they're supposed to. But they also haven't beaten anyone good in the general sense.

Someone brought up their OOC SOS like it matters. OK so they got 2 really good teams on their schedule to help bolster their metrics. How'd they do? losses by 13 and 23 points. They added in a Q3 and Q4 loss for good measure though. They did manage to rack up 4 wins against teams outside of the top 300. For everyone complaining about who URI played - we only played 1 team north of 250.

How does that help the A10 again? They're just another mediocre team that didn't do enough in the OOC to warrant an at-large bid, yet is good enough to beat anyone in the conference - except for the top 75 teams they play.

Again - Loyola is a better conference member than Fordham, Duquesne, GW, or La Salle. They were probably the "best available" team to add. And if the argument was to kick 3 or 4 of those programs out and add in Loyola? That's a home run.

But you added another team to chop the pot with that isn't capable of being an at-large team themselves. They've actually never been an at-large bid.

So maybe my complaint about Loyola is just that they're the an extra mediocre team in a league that has too many of them. Yeah, of course we'd love if URI had their record this year. But then we'd still have our super optimistic fans on this board complaining that we hadn't beaten anyone good, so who cares.
They played the bottom barrel of the A10 this year. They are #2 in the A10 and are not an At Large team. How does that help the conference? I'll wait till next year when their HH are against the top of the league and not the bottom.
2 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Yes I would say if URI had the same schedule and the same record that they haven't looked as good as their record . consider that if URI had shot well from the free throw line on Sunday which they have done occasionally . If they made front end of two one and ones and made the second on each and
had 24 instead of 22 free throws of which they made 20-24 , they would have been tied with 7:37 left .Loyola had their second best ft shooting game at 88.2% far above their 70% average . If Loyola hit their average at the ft line they would have only made 12 instead of 15 so if URI had made 18 of 22
they would have been tied and if they had been 20-24 they would have won by 2 . URI did make 18-22 at GW so it isn't out of the realm of possibility
that they could do that . My point is that Loyola did not dominate play against URI whom we would all agree is not very good . Loyola had nothing to do with the poor ft shooting of URI . they were fortunate URI had a below average ft shooting game even for them . Loyola at this point is an average NCAA team at best . Things have gone their way so far . Kind of like some of Barron's teams before they eventually collapsed because they really were not as good as their record make them appear until they eventually found their level.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

A big concern for us is our out of time out Defense , a couple times we just totally fell apart there not good
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I highly doubt it.

That I'd still be in the running for the prediction contest? :lol:
0 x