2024 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Re: 2024 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by SGreenwell »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 months ago
SGreenwell wrote: 2 months ago
adam914 wrote: 2 months ago Does Bobby still love his horse racing to? Perfect fit there in Louisville. I'm mostly joking, but do agree that Bobby to Louisville would seem to make a lot of sense for them if he's interested.
I kind of think you have it backwards - Louisville is going to be interested in a guy that Arizona State shitcans? I think Bobby is going to have to "settle" for a mid-major job or an undesirable power conference job (DePaul or something similar).
As previously noted, Louisville is/should be desperate...Bobby would be a huge hit for them (huge)
"Great news guys! We just hired the brother and son of great coaches that got fired from Arizona State!" I mean, I think Louisville could do way worse, but I don't think Bobby Hurley is going to be a really sexy hire for a power conference team. I sure would selfishly like an Atlantic 10 team to give him an Archie Miller-like package to coach there, though.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

adam914 wrote: 2 months ago Does Bobby still love his horse racing to? Perfect fit there in Louisville. I'm mostly joking, but do agree that Bobby to Louisville would seem to make a lot of sense for them if he's interested.
I kind of think you have it backwards - Louisville is going to be interested in a guy that Arizona State shitcans? I think Bobby is going to have to "settle" for a mid-major job or an undesirable power conference job (DePaul or something similar).
As previously noted, Louisville is/should be desperate...Bobby would be a huge hit for them (huge)
Agree makes a lot of sense , Louisville is a mess right now and Bobby would be in the ACC
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

reef wrote: 2 months ago

Agree makes a lot of sense , Louisville is a mess right now and Bobby would be in the ACC
And...if the 'ville does NOT hire Bobby, they will have a 'lesser than' coach next year...either Payne, or "someone else < BH"
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

"Great news guys! We just hired the brother and son of great coaches that got fired from Arizona State!" I mean, I think Louisville could do way worse, but I don't think Bobby Hurley is going to be a really sexy hire for a power conference team. I sure would selfishly like an Atlantic 10 team to give him an Archie Miller-like package to coach there, though.
SG, Like SLU if they dump Ford and if Bobby’s available ?
Last edited by Jdrums#3 2 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 months ago

Like SLU if they dump Ford and if Bobby’s available ?
I venture that, next year, if they don't hire Bobby H, the 'ville will have a lesser name coach than Bobby H
ETA: Of course, that makes the wild presumption that ASU would maybe want to move on from him, and I don't ever see that happening
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

SG, Like SLU if they dump Ford and if Bobby’s available ?
Drums I’d be surprised if he drops to the A10
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 months ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 2 months ago
Blue Man wrote: 2 months ago

Certainly fair, but I’ve always held the belief that those first 2 years are more indicative of the past guy than the present guy.

So UNC going from preseason top 5 to no birth was an instant wake up call that the luster of Tar Heel legend had worn off a bit.

I’m certainly not arguing how great they have been historically as a program, but Hubert Davis ain’t Roy Williams or Dean Smith.
Always wondered how Roy Williams would have done if he wasn't handed the two of the easiest coaching jobs in the history of college basketball. Roy had an NIT team in there as well and could never win a title at Kansas. I would say Hubert has a chance to be as good as Roy. Just out athlete and talent everyone. That's UNC basketball lol.
Handed the "two easiest coaching jobs in the history college basketball?" First off, the guy paid his dues. He wasn't handed anything. (You could make the case that Dan Hurley was handed head coaching jobs off his dad's and brother's name.)

KU was going on probation when he took over. Kansas has been made into a great job. It wasn't in the early 1980's and Larry Brown was not dominating the Big 8 when was coaching there. (Billy Tubbs at OU and Norm Stewart at Mizzou were great.) Kansas is not a great spot for recruiting.

If UNC is so easy, how come Matt Doherty blew it? And Hubert Davis laid an egg last year? The resources are great but so are the expectations. It's not as easy you might think.

Shouldn't St. John's have been an easy job all these years? Is UCLA easy? Indiana?
Um

Why didn't you mention he took the Kansas job right after they won a NATIONAL TITLE? One year post season ban at Kansas? Oh golly the cards were so stacked against him! And Kansas has been made into a great job? WHAT!? Are you serious? Yeah it was made alright...by the dude who INVENTED BASKETBALL 😂 ironically, with James Naismaith, it was the only time Kansas basketball wasn't dominant. They've been dominate since 1907-08. They have only had eight losing seasons since 1907-08 PMM lolol Kansas IS college basketball. Amazing that Roy was able to "rebuild" at the second winningest program ever. Larry Brown may not have "dominated" the big 8, but he still won the big 8 tournament title in his first year and a regular season title in his 3rd year. 5 NCAA app in 5 years...2 round of 32 app, 1 swt 16, 2 final fours and 1 national title the year before Roy got there.

Matt Doherty won an ACC regular season title his first year, NIT his third and last year. Roy Williams comes back to UNC and goes "hey you guys know Michael Jordan right? Yeah I recruited him! Wanna come to Carolina where we have only had two down years in 40 years? North Carolina the 3rd winningest program in the history of college basketball?" He still inherited Raymond Felton, Jawad Williams, Melvin Scott, Jackie Manuel, Rashad McCants, Sean May and David Noel from his first title team at UNC.

Sure Roy worked hard, but he was fortunate Dean Smith let him tag along. His resume just isn't as impressive when you started your coaching journey at the top. I also never said he was a bad coach. Just not that impressive. He capitalized on pretty much the easiest path you could possibly have.

Definitely not equivalent to Dan Hurley being handed the St Benedicts job afterrrrr being good enough to be the starting PG at Seton Hall and being an assistant coach at Rutgers. St Benedicts, Wagner, Rhody, UConn and then national title is obviously very different than being UNC assistant, Kansas HC, UNC HC. We have no idea if Roy Williams could go from a high school, to Wagner, URI and then an actual self made blueblood like UConn and win a title. He's had practically zero obstacles compared to just about everyone else. That is completely insane to compare Dan and Roy like that lolol

St John's is nothing compared to UNC and Kansas. Yes UCLA is easy and Indiana isn't that easy after Bob Knight, but even Archie stumbled into a would be tournament berth in the covid year. Is winning at places like URI easier than a blueblood? Does the pressure to win big with all the tradition imaginable and every resource imaginable outweigh they alternative? Yeah no. The foundations laid at your respective bluebloods inherently makes it easier to win and win big. Back to St John's

My point still stands. Hubert just needs to recruit at the easiest place to recruit and have average x's and o's and he can win title's. Handed the keys to a lamborghini.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Would Bobby Hurley be a hot coaching commodity for a high profile historically premier program right now? He has been a head coach for eleven seasons (counting this year) at two schools (Buffalo & Arizona St). Unless he wins his conference tournament in March, he will have made it to the NCAA four times with zero tournament wins. His teams have not even qualified for the NIT in the other seven seasons (would look to be the case this year as his team is presently 11-12 with NET of #135). His overall head coaching record is 193-145 (.571).

While he is certainly a decent coach, I think it would be a stretch given his track record to call him a great coach. Would a program such as Louisville, with multiple national championships and an extensive NCAA Tournament history hire such a candidate? I would think he would be a more serious applicant at Depaul, given its dearth of success in recent decades.
Last edited by RF1 2 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

If the Louisville job opens up, I wouldn't be surprised if they try and make a run at Mick Cronin.
Doubt he would leave UCLA, but he is from the area and was an assistant at Louisville and HC at nearby Cincy.

Also this off-season once jobs begin to open, I wouldn't be surprised to hear Pat Kelsey's name in some conversations for the opportunity to trade-up.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 months ago If the Louisville job opens up, I wouldn't be surprised if they try and make a run at Mike Cronin.
Doubt he would leave UCLA, but he is from the area and was an assistant at Louisville and HC at nearby Cincy.

Also this off-season once jobs begin to open, I wouldn't be surprised to hear Pat Kelsey's name in some conversations for the opportunity to trade-up.
I've posted earlier about Mick. It's an interesting story to follow as he is definitely not having fun at UCLA right now. His post-game pressers are wild (if he chooses to even do one).
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 2 months ago Would Bobby Hurley be a hot coaching commodity for a high profile historically premier program right now? He has been a head coach for eleven seasons (counting this year) at two schools (Buffalo & Arizona St). Unless he wins his conference tournament in March, he will have made it to the NCAA four times with zero tournament wins. His teams have not even qualified for the NIT in the other seven seasons (would look to be the case this year as his team is presently 11-12 with NET of #135). His overall head coaching record is 193-145 (.571).

While he is certainly a decent coach, I think it would be a stretch given his track record to call him a great coach. Would a program such as Louisville, with multiple national championships and an extensive NCAA Tournament history hire such a candidate? I would think he would be a more serious applicant at Depaul, given its dearth of success in recent decades.
Do people even realize who is "coaching" at Louisville right now...? To say that he wouldn't be a serious candidate there is kinda funny...to say that he'd be interested in DePaul is hysterical...
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 months ago If the Louisville job opens up, I wouldn't be surprised if they try and make a run at Mick Cronin.

That’s a really good idea that I didn’t think of , can he get a compensation package equal to what he’s making @ UCLA ?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 2 months ago If the Louisville job opens up, I wouldn't be surprised if they try and make a run at Mick Cronin.

That’s a really good idea that I didn’t think of , can he get a compensation package equal to what he’s making @ UCLA ?
It would take a bundle of cash to lure him back which would include the buyout package to UCLA.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I just hope Bobby paid off all his bills before he loses his job.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Always wondered how Roy Williams would have done if he wasn't handed the two of the easiest coaching jobs in the history of college basketball. Roy had an NIT team in there as well and could never win a title at Kansas. I would say Hubert has a chance to be as good as Roy. Just out athlete and talent everyone. That's UNC basketball lol.
Handed the "two easiest coaching jobs in the history college basketball?" First off, the guy paid his dues. He wasn't handed anything. (You could make the case that Dan Hurley was handed head coaching jobs off his dad's and brother's name.)

KU was going on probation when he took over. Kansas has been made into a great job. It wasn't in the early 1980's and Larry Brown was not dominating the Big 8 when was coaching there. (Billy Tubbs at OU and Norm Stewart at Mizzou were great.) Kansas is not a great spot for recruiting.

If UNC is so easy, how come Matt Doherty blew it? And Hubert Davis laid an egg last year? The resources are great but so are the expectations. It's not as easy you might think.

Shouldn't St. John's have been an easy job all these years? Is UCLA easy? Indiana?
Um

Why didn't you mention he took the Kansas job right after they won a NATIONAL TITLE? One year post season ban at Kansas? Oh golly the cards were so stacked against him! And Kansas has been made into a great job? WHAT!? Are you serious? Yeah it was made alright...by the dude who INVENTED BASKETBALL 😂 ironically, with James Naismaith, it was the only time Kansas basketball wasn't dominant. They've been dominate since 1907-08. They have only had eight losing seasons since 1907-08 PMM lolol Kansas IS college basketball. Amazing that Roy was able to "rebuild" at the second winningest program ever. Larry Brown may not have "dominated" the big 8, but he still won the big 8 tournament title in his first year and a regular season title in his 3rd year. 5 NCAA app in 5 years...2 round of 32 app, 1 swt 16, 2 final fours and 1 national title the year before Roy got there.

Matt Doherty won an ACC regular season title his first year, NIT his third and last year. Roy Williams comes back to UNC and goes "hey you guys know Michael Jordan right? Yeah I recruited him! Wanna come to Carolina where we have only had two down years in 40 years? North Carolina the 3rd winningest program in the history of college basketball?" He still inherited Raymond Felton, Jawad Williams, Melvin Scott, Jackie Manuel, Rashad McCants, Sean May and David Noel from his first title team at UNC.

Sure Roy worked hard, but he was fortunate Dean Smith let him tag along. His resume just isn't as impressive when you started your coaching journey at the top. I also never said he was a bad coach. Just not that impressive. He capitalized on pretty much the easiest path you could possibly have.

Definitely not equivalent to Dan Hurley being handed the St Benedicts job afterrrrr being good enough to be the starting PG at Seton Hall and being an assistant coach at Rutgers. St Benedicts, Wagner, Rhody, UConn and then national title is obviously very different than being UNC assistant, Kansas HC, UNC HC. We have no idea if Roy Williams could go from a high school, to Wagner, URI and then an actual self made blueblood like UConn and win a title. He's had practically zero obstacles compared to just about everyone else. That is completely insane to compare Dan and Roy like that lolol

St John's is nothing compared to UNC and Kansas. Yes UCLA is easy and Indiana isn't that easy after Bob Knight, but even Archie stumbled into a would be tournament berth in the covid year. Is winning at places like URI easier than a blueblood? Does the pressure to win big with all the tradition imaginable and every resource imaginable outweigh they alternative? Yeah no. The foundations laid at your respective bluebloods inherently makes it easier to win and win big. Back to St John's

My point still stands. Hubert just needs to recruit at the easiest place to recruit and have average x's and o's and he can win title's. Handed the keys to a lamborghini.
Kansas basketball was not dominant in the early 70's ('69-'73) nor the early 80's under Ted Owens. Look it up. Larry Brown won a title with Danny Manning, then both Danny and Larry left...and the program was left on probation. Why did so many coaches after John Wooden struggle at UCLA? After all, it was a lamborghini. Just turn the key and go! It's not so easy as you make it out to be.

Dean Smith "let Roy Williams tag along?" Like Roy was being paid to do nothing while he was on the staff? The easiest path? You should read Roy's bio...it wasn't easy. Volunteered to coach at camps, coached a podunk high school for 5 years, etc.

What does being a starting guard at Seton Hall have to do with being qualified to be a coach? Danny was given the Rutgers assistant job because his name was known specifically in NJ and his dad was coaching a high school powerhouse in NJ. There is no debating that. You think Danny was going to work his way up as an assistant at D3 Southern Idaho Tech? He used his name and connections in the area to get coaching jobs that others (not named Hurley) could not get. Kudos to Danny for doing that. That's not a criticism. That's factual. To pretend that Danny wasn't given advantages in the coaching profession is naive. He was more fortunate to be born with the last name Hurley than Roy Williams was to earn his keep at UNC as an assistant, then win big at KU, and deserve a chance to be UNC's coach.

Just because somebody takes over a historically successful program doesn't mean it's an easy job. It means it has history. Past performance is no guarantee for future success. Jon Scheyer, Adrian Autry, Kyle Neptune, Gene Bartow, Joey Meyer, Mike Davis, Billy Gillespie...they can or could've told you how easy it was/is.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Um

Kansas basketball was not dominant in the early 70's ('69-'73) nor the early 80's under Ted Owens. Look it up. Larry Brown won a title with Danny Manning, then both Danny and Larry left...and the program was left on probation. Why did so many coaches after John Wooden struggle at UCLA? After all, it was a lamborghini. Just turn the key and go! It's not so easy as you make it out to be.

Dean Smith "let Roy Williams tag along?" Like Roy was being paid to do nothing while he was on the staff? The easiest path? You should read Roy's bio...it wasn't easy. Volunteered to coach at camps, coached a podunk high school for 5 years, etc.

What does being a starting guard at Seton Hall have to do with being qualified to be a coach? Danny was given the Rutgers assistant job because his name was known specifically in NJ and his dad was coaching a high school powerhouse in NJ. There is no debating that. You think Danny was going to work his way up as an assistant at D3 Southern Idaho Tech? He used his name and connections in the area to get coaching jobs that others (not named Hurley) could not get. Kudos to Danny for doing that. That's not a criticism. That's factual. To pretend that Danny wasn't given advantages in the coaching profession is naive. He was more fortunate to be born with the last name Hurley than Roy Williams was to earn his keep at UNC as an assistant, then win big at KU, and deserve a chance to be UNC's coach.

Just because somebody takes over a historically successful program doesn't mean it's an easy job. It means it has history. Past performance is no guarantee for future success. Jon Scheyer, Adrian Autry, Kyle Neptune, Gene Bartow, Joey Meyer, Mike Davis, Billy Gillespie...they can or could've told you how easy it was/is.
Kansas had two bad seasons in the early 70's

71-72 (11-15) 72-73 (8-18)

What happened in 70-71? A final four! How about 73-74? Another final four! Two final fours as bookends to two losing seasons. Not so bad for the early 70's...

They went to the sweet 16 in 80-81 before two losing seasons which led to Larry Brown being hired.

Of course it wasn't the easiest thing in the world to maintain success at the 2nd and 3rd most winningest programs ever....but what was easier than that? He paid his dues to prove himself to Dean Smith who happened to he the best coach in college basketball at the time they hired him and was an assistant at maybe the most dominant program in the sport from 78-88. (Or close to it)

Kansas won a title in 88, he inherited a good handful of players from that team at a top 3 program ever with every resource imaginable. One year postseason ban? Big deal. UNC was four years removed from a final four and two years removed from a Swt 16 and a regular season ACC title. I know it wasn't the easiest thing ever and he worked his tail off for decades and coached some great basketball....but he only ever had jobs at UNC and Kansas 🤣 who did he have it harder than? Wow Dan sure was given the golden ticket at Rutgers!
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Holtmann had four years remaining on his contract, which ran through the 2027-28 season. Ohio State still owes Holtmann more than $14 million in guaranteed salary, sources told ESPN.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

According to SI, likely potential replacements are Sean Miller and Lamont Paris at South Carolina, Nate Oats, TJ Otzelberger at Iowa State.

Thanks for posting, StevieP.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

According to SI, likely potential replacements are Sean Miller and Lamont Paris at South Carolina, Nate Oats, TJ Otzelberger at Iowa State.

Thanks , I saw last night that they were struggling in conference and wondered who their coach was
Thanks for posting the likely candidates
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Also Greg McDermott
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

RF1 wrote: 2 months ago

Holtmann had four years remaining on his contract, which ran through the 2027-28 season. Ohio State still owes Holtmann more than $14 million in guaranteed salary, sources told ESPN.
Crazy. Sounds like Miller at IU. They had to pay Miller $10M. And look at IU today. NET 100, 14-10 and 6-7 in conference. Crazy times for sure.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Sounds like Holtmsnn would have to drop down a conference
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

reef wrote: 2 months ago Sounds like Holtmsnn would have to drop down a conference
Some St Louis ppl like him to replace Ford.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

bigappleram wrote: 2 months ago
reef wrote: 2 months ago Sounds like Holtmsnn would have to drop down a conference
Makes sense , he had a really good career @ Butler then started off fine @ Ohio State before struggling the last 2 seasons

If I was a STL fan I wouldn’t hate that hire !
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Makes sense , he had a really good career @ Butler then started off fine @ Ohio State before struggling the last 2 seasons

Maybe Chris Mack gets a call from Ohio State, he is also from Ohio.
Besides he had success at Xavier, Thad Matta also from Xavier worked out okay for them.

The Buckeyes will get plenty of interest.

Not sure if Anthony Grant will be mentioned, he is close by.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 months ago

Maybe Chris Mack gets a call from Ohio State, he is also from Ohio.
Besides he had success at Xavier, Thad Matta also from Xavier worked out okay for them.

The Buckeyes will get plenty of interest.

Not sure if Anthony Grant will be mentioned, he is close by.
Maybe on Mack but their first calls have to be to the agents ;) of Dusty May, Josh Schertz, Amir Abdur-Rahim, and maybe Lamont Paris.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Dusty May is a good one , should get a nice job
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If Juwan Howard gets fired at Michigan, what school do we think is a more attractive basketball job? OSU or UM?
0 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 months ago If Juwan Howard gets fired at Michigan, what school do we think is a more attractive basketball job? OSU or UM?
The same. Both schools are the same
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 2 months ago If Juwan Howard gets fired at Michigan, what school do we think is a more attractive basketball job? OSU or UM?
My initial thought was Michigan, but it's closer than it seems. More historic success, probably slightly more resources, but its not like OSU has been a dumpster fire. In both jobs, the expectation is probably that you get the program to challenging regularly for the national championship, so its not like one job is less pressure than the other.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

My initial thought was Michigan, but it's closer than it seems. More historic success, probably slightly more resources, but its not like OSU has been a dumpster fire. In both jobs, the expectation is probably that you get the program to challenging regularly for the national championship, so its not like one job is less pressure than the other.
I think Michigan, not that close. The 30 for 30 on espn alone shows the magnitude of what's happened there and seals the deal. Keep the alums in touch (don't fire Howard) and that job will rock for a while
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

I think Michigan, not that close. The 30 for 30 on espn alone shows the magnitude of what's happened there and seals the deal. Keep the alums in touch (don't fire Howard) and that job will rock for a while
I suppose, but the Fab Five was roughly 33 years ago, and you're firing the coach that was associated with it. I think the next coach is going to be unable to use that bridge to the past.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

I can tell you that Ohio State is a better basketball job than Michigan. Michigan has Michigan State to battle in the state for attention, recruits, and fans. It doesn't sound like Tom Izzo is retiring any time soon.

Ohio State is THE (only) Big Ten school in the state of Ohio. (Yes, there's Xavier, Cincy, and Dayton...but those are in a different universe than the one Ohio State operates in the Buckeye state.) Kids grow up OSU fans in Ohio.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I would lean Michigan but I think it’s close
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I suppose, but the Fab Five was roughly 33 years ago, and you're firing the coach that was associated with it. I think the next coach is going to be unable to use that bridge to the past.
That's why I am saying don't fire the coach....just cannot do that there in that situation
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Somewhat similar to URI !
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I’m sure the Johnnies will be better next season. Although they’ve done OK.
0 x
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 months ago I’m sure the Johnnies will be better next season. Although they’ve done OK.
I’m thinking so too ! Coach Pitino won’t stand for an NIT season again !
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

This is not the first time that Pitino has come across as teetering on the edge of his sanity following a game this season. Not too long ago (after losing to UConn, if I’m not mistaken), he made similarly unhinged statements. (Note that in both cases, the thing that makes the statements unhinged isn’t necessarily the accuracy of what he said, but rather that he said it at all - a coach with full control of his mental faculties would not get in front of the media and speak this way). It would not surprise me at all if there is no “next season” for Pitino at St John’s. This is an elderly man who accomplished a great deal in the sport without much more to prove, and one that is clearly suffering at least in terms of his mental and emotional well-being. At what point does it just not make sense to run it back again anymore?
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

TruePoint wrote: 2 months ago This is not the first time that Pitino has come across as teetering on the edge of his sanity following a game this season. Not too long ago (after losing to UConn, if I’m not mistaken), he made similarly unhinged statements. (Note that in both cases, the thing that makes the statements unhinged isn’t necessarily the accuracy of what he said, but rather that he said it at all - a coach with full control of his mental faculties would not get in front of the media and speak this way). It would not surprise me at all if there is no “next season” for Pitino at St John’s. This is an elderly man who accomplished a great deal in the sport without much more to prove, and one that is clearly suffering at least in terms of his mental and emotional well-being. At what point does it just not make sense to run it back again anymore?
Zero chance he retires after this season, zero.

(See what I did there)

:D
1 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Nightmare first season for Rhoades.

Under .500 in conference, overall, and now this.

Most everyone knew it was strictly a money grab and wasn’t a move for basketball reasons.

He won’t last long there.
1 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 2 months ago

Most everyone knew it was strictly a money grab and wasn’t a move for basketball reasons.

He'll last as long as they pay him. Well, actually, they might be paying him longer than he lasts there. In any event, good for him.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

He'll last as long as they pay him. Well, actually, they might be paying him longer than he lasts there. In any event, good for him.
Only his first year there 6-9 in conference isn’t the worst , give him some time
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote: 2 months ago This is not the first time that Pitino has come across as teetering on the edge of his sanity following a game this season. Not too long ago (after losing to UConn, if I’m not mistaken), he made similarly unhinged statements. (Note that in both cases, the thing that makes the statements unhinged isn’t necessarily the accuracy of what he said, but rather that he said it at all - a coach with full control of his mental faculties would not get in front of the media and speak this way). It would not surprise me at all if there is no “next season” for Pitino at St John’s. This is an elderly man who accomplished a great deal in the sport without much more to prove, and one that is clearly suffering at least in terms of his mental and emotional well-being. At what point does it just not make sense to run it back again anymore?
Ugh...I'm a Pitino guy, but he needs to stfu...this is just brutal

https://www.wate.com/sports/sports-illu ... -lifetime/
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Ugh...I'm a Pitino guy, but he needs to stfu...this is just brutal

https://www.wate.com/sports/sports-illu ... -lifetime/
Yeah me too , very surprised @ those comments from him
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Nightmare??? Huh? The guy took over a team that went to the Sweet 16 last year and returned zero (zero) impact players. The fact they've got six Big Ten wins and has his team competitive in the Big Ten...to me, this team has overachieved.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Nightmare??? Huh? The guy took over a team that went to the Sweet 16 last year and returned zero (zero) impact players. The fact they've got six Big Ten wins and has his team competitive in the Big Ten...to me, this team has overachieved.
They’re under .500 overall, conference, and just kicked off their best player.

Graduating their best big man.

Not an ideal start.
0 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Small correction, they only made it to the round of 32 last season.
Clary their leading scorer and only a sophomore was a hold-over from last season.
But yeah, they basically had to reload.
0 x