2/11 | UMass | 2:00PM (USA)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: 2/11 | UMass | 2:00PM (USA)

Unread post by Blue Man »

Ugh.

Plenty of fight without your best player.

Gotta get those rebounds on missed free throws.

Young team struggles to capitalize on opportunities.

Dan said the hardest thing was teaching the guys how to win. It took years.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 months ago RHODY will gut out the win today

Damn
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Played well except that few minute stretch where we forgot to play defense.
1 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

They fought hard. Gotta give em that.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

All you can do as a team is Learn from these games and move on. Hopefully Green isn’t too bad.
1 x
GO RAMS
URIFIJI
Kenny Green

Unread post by URIFIJI »

What a great fight to the end.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Fascinating game. Martin vs Miller good stuff. Teams are dead even.

Time for some pigskin!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

That game was drunk...

Glad we fought back like we did. Overall not a terrible effort. Really hope DG is okay, we can't catch a freaking break.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

While disappointed with the loss, still have to give the team credit for the effort today.
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Frustrating loss but good fight from Rhody today. Good to see.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Great fight at the end... Props to the team and Archie for keeping the guys locked in. I agree with others that the refs had some terrible calls, but that happens. I thought they allowed a pretty physical game, so I like that. The reason we lost this game and many other games is because we gave up another 80+ pts. 49 in the second half....

In our A10 losses this year.
Bonnies 99
Dayton 96
Fordham 71
Mason 92
Duquense 85
Umass 81

That's 87 PPG. Which, by the way, would be dead last in the entire country...
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

frustration 2nd game loss where the opponent could not hit free throws.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 months ago Great fight at the end... Props to the team and Archie for keeping the guys locked in. I agree with others that the refs had some terrible calls, but that happens. I thought they allowed a pretty physical game, so I like that. The reason we lost this game and many other games is because we gave up another 80+ pts. 49 in the second half....

Bonnies 99
Dayton 96
Fordham 71
Mason 92
Duquense 85
Umass 81

Yep couldn't get a big enough cushion in the first half, felt apart defensively in the second and lost DG.

I really hate UMass.
1 x
Donrxer79
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Donrxer79 »

Not a bad game overall but really starting to dislike Fuchs. Can he even jump, only reason he gets rebounds is because he is wide and takes up space. His hands are not good, he loses balls out of bounds all the time.
Last edited by Donrxer79 2 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Got 2 real slow guys Fuchs and Kortright. Defense is much better with Brown but he can't score. I think it's hard to hide 2 slow players in the packline. Overall tho got what was needed to win, neutralized the 2 bigs with the packline and forced 22/23' shots exactly what you want. They made double digit 3's gotta tip your cap. Don't blow so many lightly contested layups and rebound the ball you win.

Good game on to pigskin 🏈
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Call me crazy but with Luis banged up ever since the last UMass game, not having Ways this past week to give him a breather has hindered him, just seems gassed a lot and not a lot of up when he jumps
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 months ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 2 months ago Great fight at the end... Props to the team and Archie for keeping the guys locked in. I agree with others that the refs had some terrible calls, but that happens. I thought they allowed a pretty physical game, so I like that. The reason we lost this game and many other games is because we gave up another 80+ pts. 49 in the second half....

Bonnies 99
Dayton 96
Fordham 71
Mason 92
Duquense 85
Umass 81

Yep couldn't get a big enough cushion in the first half, felt apart defensively in the second and lost DG.

I really hate UMass.
Yep, disappointed we couldn't come away with the win.
Had some bad moments, but the team showed some heart.
2 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

And Zek just disappeared again. Can't figure that kid out.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Donrxer79 wrote: 2 months ago Not a bad game overall but really starting to dislike Fuchs. Can he even jump, only reason he gets rebounds is because he is wide and takes up space. His hands are not good, he loses balls out of bounds all the time.
Cyril literally couldn't catch the ball when he was a freshman. Hass was incredibly limited on the offensive end his freshman year. Berry couldn't see the floor until he was a Senior. Josh Cohen from Umass is one of the best big men in the conference. He averaged 5.7 ppg 4.6 rebs as a freshman..

I honestly don't know the last time a freshman big man of ours led our team in rebounding. If this dude was some slow, lazy, unskilled. unatheltic player there is no chance he would drop 7 and 7 as a freshman. I'm not saying he doesn't make mistakes or have weaknesses. I'm saying we need to remember that he's young and will get better. I feel like some of you criticize him like he's a veteran big man. He's not. Cam has been much worse than Fuchs in recent games. That's life as a freshman.
8 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

fuck that was hurts.

More pissed off about this one than the two blowout road losses.
0 x
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Dino611 wrote: 2 months ago Call me crazy but with Luis banged up ever since the last UMass game, not having Ways this past week to give him a breather has hindered him, just seems gassed a lot and not a lot of up when he jumps
Ways not playing has definitely hurt, but I think Cam making no impact is really killing us as well. When he's dropping 3s, it opens things up for Luis and House to attack. In the last couple of games, Cam has had some wide-open 3s that he's missed. A lot of freshmen and rookies in the NBA start to hit a wall late in the year. They aren't used to these long seasons and playing against this type of talent. It seems like Cam has hit that wall.
5 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

I think Fuchs might need to drop a little weight. He's built like a tank and I think he gets worn down easily from it. Too bulked up.
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 months ago
Dino611 wrote: 2 months ago Call me crazy but with Luis banged up ever since the last UMass game, not having Ways this past week to give him a breather has hindered him, just seems gassed a lot and not a lot of up when he jumps
Ways not playing has definitely hurt, but I think Cam making no impact is really killing us as well. When he's dropping 3s, it opens things up for Luis and House to attack. In the last couple of games, Cam has had some wide-open 3s that he's missed. A lot of freshmen and rookies in the NBA start to hit a wall late in the year. They aren't used to these long seasons and playing against this type of talent. It seems like Cam has hit that wall.
Freshman wall. I was thinking the same thing, Stevey.

The upper class men have done a good job of picking up the slack so far. Hopefully Cam get back on track - especially if DG misses multiple games, the D struggles like it did in the 2nd half today and we get in shootouts.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

CamsRams wrote: 2 months ago
Non-contact knee injuries always worry me, very concerning.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Donrxer79 wrote: 2 months ago Not a bad game overall but really starting to dislike Fuchs. Can he even jump, only reason he gets rebounds is because he is wide and takes up space. His hands are not good, he loses balls out of bounds all the time.
Cyril literally couldn't catch the ball when he was a freshman. Hass was incredibly limited on the offensive end his freshman year. Berry couldn't see the floor until he was a Senior. Josh Cohen from Umass is one of the best big men in the conference. He averaged 5.7 ppg 4.6 rebs as a freshman..

I honestly don't know the last time a freshman big man of ours led our team in rebounding. If this dude was some slow, lazy, unskilled. unatheltic player there is no chance he would drop 7 and 7 as a freshman. I'm not saying he doesn't make mistakes or have weaknesses. I'm saying we need to remember that he's young and will get better. I feel like some of you criticize him like he's a veteran big man. He's not. Cam has been much worse than Fuchs in recent games. That's life as a freshman.
Was about to post the exact same thing. It feels like people forget he is just a freshman sometimes. Like you said, he makes mistakes and has some weaknesses, but I am pretty encouraged by how he has looked this year.
4 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 2 months ago
CamsRams wrote: 2 months ago
Non-contact knee injuries always worry me, very concerning.
Feel good about it not being an ACL tear though. Feels like it's closer to what Luis is dealing with. Good time to have a week off between games.
0 x
Donrxer79
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Donrxer79 »

Yes he is considered a freshman but has extensive play in those german pro leagues and has played now in over 20 games here averaging over 20 minutes per game. Also, he is like 20 years old, not your average freshman. Maybe expecting too much, could be.
0 x
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

Scored enough to win, gave up enough to lose.
3 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Donrxer79 wrote: 2 months ago

Yes he is considered a freshman but has extensive play in those german pro leagues and has played now in over 20 games here averaging over 20 minutes per game. Also, he is like 20 years old, not your average freshman. Maybe expecting too much, could be.
Ya, the pro league he played in definitely gave him more experience. I personally don't think the B league he was in was as good as D1 A10 ball. It's also an adjustment going from that to playing here... He's held his own against some fantastic frontcourts this year, including today. I'm pretty sure Foumena is older than Fuchs, and it seems like he gets a pass over Fuchs by some here.. Archie has high expectations for Fuchs, and I trust that he's right when he says Fuchs could be a very good A10 big man once he develops.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

My problem with Fuchs is he sometimes acts like he's watching the action rather than being an aggressive participant.
6 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Obadiah wrote: 2 months ago My problem with Fuchs is he sometimes acts like he's watching the action rather than being an aggressive participant.
Low motor
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I missed the first half, but when I got back home and put the game on I said we could be down 20 or up 5. I was glad to see we were up 3 at half. The second half they just ran into themselves. Bad turnovers. When they went down what was it, 14? I thought they may lose by 25. They hung tough and it ended up a one possession game. Now I hate losses, but I think this is the first fight I saw from them this year. It's a young team relative to it's the first year playing together. Thought they hung tough. I'll wait till players go portalling though in a couple months. If the majority stay, we may have something next year. That is what I hope for at this point.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 2 months ago
Obadiah wrote: 2 months ago My problem with Fuchs is he sometimes acts like he's watching the action rather than being an aggressive participant.
Low motor
It's either desire, or he has no stamina because he's too big.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I missed getting to Amherst this year unfortunately as it was an exciting game down to the wire

For anyone who went, did you think Fuchs was fouled on the 4 foot shot he took with 1:23 minutes left in the 2nd half? It looked to me like he got hit on his body while trying to get the shot off. He is strong so contact doesn’t necessarily throw him off balance but I thought he might have been hit? Anyone see the URI bench reaction on that shot? Or Archie Miller reaction?

NYG 208? Rhodyrudder? Did you guys make the trip up and see this?

In addition,
Sophomore Keon Thompson was killing us 2nd half breaking loose for easy layups off the dribble and also with teammates finding him with passes. Looked like Kortright just struggled to stay with him. Were Kortrights legs giving him trouble that you could see?

Great game to watch.

UMASS seemed to dive and hit the floor quickly to win a bunch of 50-50 balls, especially Matt Cross.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ramster wrote: 2 months ago I missed getting to Amherst this year unfortunately as it was an exciting game down to the wire

For anyone who went, did you think Fuchs was fouled on the 4 foot shot he took with 1:23 minutes left in the 2nd half? It looked to me like he got hit on his body while trying to get the shot off. He is strong so contact doesn’t necessarily throw him off balance but I thought he might have been hit? Anyone see the URI bench reaction on that shot? Or Archie Miller reaction?

In addition,
Sophomore Keon Thompson was killing us 2nd half breaking loose for easy layups off the dribble and also with teammates finding him with passes. Looked like Kortright just struggled to stay with him. Were Kortrights legs giving him trouble that you could see?

Great game to watch.

UMASS seemed to dive and hit the floor quickly to win a bunch of 50-50 balls, especially Matt Cross.
There was a lot of contact all day...don't recall reaction on that particular play.
Kortright seemed like he was periodically favoring one leg, but with no real PG, he's gotta play unless he can't walk.
Rhody did a great job guarding the yellow swath again, effectively eliminating that deadly mid-range shot.
However, like a lot of teams we play, UMass seemed to get lucky and hit a bunch of open 3s and open layups anyway.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 months ago
ramster wrote: 2 months ago I missed getting to Amherst this year unfortunately as it was an exciting game down to the wire

In addition,

Great game to watch.

There was a lot of contact all day...don't recall reaction on that particular play.
Kortright seemed like he was periodically favoring one leg, but with no real PG, he's gotta play unless he can't walk.
Rhody did a great job guarding the yellow swath again, effectively eliminating that deadly mid-range shot.
However, like a lot of teams we play, UMass seemed to get lucky and hit a bunch of open 3s and open layups anyway.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Thanks
I thought I saw Kortright favoring his leg at times too
Always Wright was not available today to back up Kortright
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

It’s kind of funny that we see such different things with Fuchs. I really don’t care how he gets rebounds, if it is his width, or instincts or whatever, he gets them. Being a leaper does not make you a good rebounder (Eg Zek). And it seems to me that one of Fuchs attributes is really strong hands.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Here is comparison of the UMass/URI game attendance per venue over the last ten seasons.

Season	  @ UMass   @ URI

2014-15	   5,273    7,118
2015-16	   2,432    5,713
2016-17	   3,512    6,222
2017-18	   4,194    5,583
2018-19	   4,145    6,938
2019-20	   4,053    6,328
2020-21	     0	      0
2021-22	   2,181    5,847
2022-23	   5,013    5,785
2023-24	   3,553    5,496
1 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

McRam wrote: 2 months ago
It’s kind of funny that we see such different things with Fuchs. I really don’t care how he gets rebounds, if it is his width, or instincts or whatever, he gets them. Being a leaper does not make you a good rebounder (Eg Zek). And it seems to me that one of Fuchs attributes is really strong hands.
On a list of concerns for this URI team, Fuchs would be about #20 on my list. Yes, he has warts and they've been exploited during the course of the season, but you can definitely see his potential and how he will be a big piece of the puzzle going forward. On the very top of my list would be quick, athletic point guard(s) who can run an offense and defend, that to me that is by far the most glaring of needs for this team.
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Shinze88 wrote: 2 months ago
McRam wrote: 2 months ago
On a list of concerns for this URI team, Fuchs would be about #20 on my list. Yes, he has warts and they've been exploited during the course of the season, but you can definitely see his potential and how he will be a big piece of the puzzle going forward. On the very top of my list would be quick, athletic point guard(s) who can run an offense and defend, that to me that is by far the most glaring of needs for this team.
Yes, I agree.
They were probably hoping Ways will develop and help fill that need.
In addition, you have top PG recruit Hammond coming in, but it may take him a little time to adjust to Div.1.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Obadiah wrote: 2 months ago
Here is comparison of the UMass/URI game attendance per venue over the last ten seasons.

Season	  @ UMass   @ URI

2014-15	   5,273    7,118
2015-16	   2,432    5,713
2016-17	   3,512    6,222
2017-18	   4,194    5,583
2018-19	   4,145    6,938
2019-20	   4,053    6,328
2020-21	     0	      0
2021-22	   2,181    5,847
2022-23	   5,013    5,785
2023-24	   3,553    5,496

UMass has struggled to attract fans to the Mullins Center for men's basketball games for much of the last fifteen years. Their YTD average for this season is just 3,158 despite the team having a relatively decent season by their typical standards for the program with a present record of 15-8.

UMass versus URI comparisons

SCHOOL | UNDERGRAD ENROLLMENT | GRAD ENROLLMENT | TOTAL
UMass | 22,854 | 4,566 | 27,420
URI | 14,654 | 3,407 | 18,061

VENUES
SCHOOL | CAPACITY
UMass MC| 9,493
URI RC | 7,657

MEN'S BASKETBALL HOME AVG ATTENDANCE
SEASON | URI | UMASS
2023-24 YTD | 4,197 | 3,158
2022-23 | 5,158 | 3,580
2021-22 | 4,814 | 2,219
2020-21 | 0 | 0
2019-20 | 6,144 | 2,717
2018-19 | 5,797 | 2,792
2017-18 | 6,217 | 2,994
2016-17 | 5,173 | 3,297
2015-16 | 4,718 | 3,365
2014-15 | 5,404 | 4,553
2013-14 | 4,441 | 6,544
2012-13 | 4,291 | 5,255
2011-12 | 3,829 | 4,279
2010-11 | 4,537 | 3,300
2009-10 | 5,227 | 3,987

UMass, despite being a much larger school (with far larger percentage and number of students living on campus) along with a bigger capacity venue, has outdrawn URI just three times in the last fifteen years. All of these seasons were over a decade ago having occurred from 2011-12 to 2013-14 under Derek Kellogg when they won 25, 21, and 24 games. URI during this period experienced three losing seasons at the end of Baron and beginning of Hurley. Neither program has had considerable postseason success during the last fifteen years with UMass going to one NCAA and two NIT's versus URI going to two NCAA's and two NIT's. While winning helps the attendance for both schools, it would appear that UMass is more dependent on it with their fans not as loyal to the team.
Last edited by RF1 2 months ago, edited 8 times in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYG 208 and anyone who was at the game yesterday….
Was Always Wright present and on the bench?
Any word on what his issue is?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

In addition,

Great game to watch.

Is there any chance that we will expand the swath considering its success? Or is expanding off the table?
IMG_2235.jpeg
IMG_2235.jpeg (39.87 KiB) Viewed 1423 times
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 2 months ago

In addition,

Great game to watch.

Is there any chance that we will expand the swath considering its success? Or is expanding off the table?

IMG_2235.jpeg
Initially, I would have said we don't do that here. But Arch has shown willingness to change things up once in a while, so I guess it's not off the table ..we'll see...
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 2 months ago NYG 208 and anyone who was at the game yesterday….
He was on the bench but not dressed to play...did not hear why
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ramster wrote: 2 months ago NYG 208 and anyone who was at the game yesterday….
He was on the bench but not dressed to play...did not hear why
I thought Archie said during one of his PCs that it was a hip injury.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The secret NET formula seemed to really favor URI's close two point loss at UMass. UMass had been #89 and URI was #186 entering the game. URI jumped ahead seven spots to #179 after the loss. It leapfrogged GW and is now ranked above fellow A-10 members GW (185), Fordham (188), St Louis (225) and LaSalle (234).
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

It's our offense that is moving the needle for us. Currently 126 on Ken Pom and climbing. In A10 play we have 2nd highest FG% and 4th highest 3FG%. Compare that to last year where we ranked dead last in both. If we can end the year with a Top 100 offense I will feel pretty good heading into an offeason with Archie knowing he needs to prioritize 1 side of the ball in the portal.
2 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 2 months ago

In addition,

Great game to watch.

IMG_2235.jpeg
There will be no deviation from the by the book packline. We forced 22/23 foot deep balls and minimized Cohen and Cross. Exactly what the defense is supposed to do.

They miss 2 of the bombs they made we likely win. Our problem was blowing layups and not rebounding the ball.
0 x