2/6 | George Washington | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: 2/6 | George Washington | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 months ago
ramster wrote: 2 months ago Does any team play the Pack Line besides URI and Virginia?
Has any other school played it in the past besides Indiana and Dayton when Miller was there?
Sean Miller
Sean plays it now at Xavier?

And these are the only 3 teams that play it?
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

https://www.basketballforcoaches.com/pack-line-defense/

History discussed here. (Warning this is a deep dive into packline, I’ll post this in the dedicated thread too)
Last edited by hrstrat57 2 months ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

I've been watching UVA since Bennett started there. Never really understood the Pack Line. Really enjoyed. Thanks for posting.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Interesting a quote, early in the Guide, that says, “always take a guy out if he loafs back during a game…..”
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I watched the first half last night and have the 2nd half on queue for tonight. I'm proud of the team's fight in this game. The got down 7-0 out of the gate and had a couple of 10 point deficits (15-5, cut to 3, then back to 10 at 22-12 if I recall). From there they chipped away with runs to a 2 point halftime deficite. This easily could have been a 20 point halftime deficit. This set them up for it being close at halftime and then off to the races.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

One thing I don't think anyone mentioned related to Archie coaching his guys is when he pulled Jaden midway through the 1st half. When there is a missed call (either for or against Jaden), Jaden tends to let it get to him and he spirals out of control and it impacts his play on both ends. After a drive to the hoop and he didn't get the and-1 call, he started to complain to the refs and wasn't getting back on defense and stopped hustling a bit. Archie pulled him out and sat him for a few minutes so he could calm down and refocus and he became a scoring machine.
4 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 months ago One thing I don't think anyone mentioned related to Archie coaching his guys is when he pulled Jaden midway through the 1st half. When there is a missed call (either for or against Jaden), Jaden tends to let it get to him and he spirals out of control and it impacts his play on both ends. After a drive to the hoop and he didn't get the and-1 call, he started to complain to the refs and wasn't getting back on defense and stopped hustling a bit. Archie pulled him out and sat him for a few minutes so he could calm down and refocus and he became a scoring machine.
Thanks for the intel. 👍🏼
1 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

I don’t agree with the attitude, ‘we can’t upset our freshman’. The team needs to do what it takes to win. Regardless of individual feelings. I think playing Weston and Brown extended minutes this game set the tone defensively. We need it as this team has showed little effort on the defensive end the past few games. These two guys - mixed with Green, House, Luis, Zek (if he maintains some level of consistency) should keep us in close games. Archie’s not an idiot. These are strategic moves and hopefully it starts to bleed into the team culture. Bottom line is that we need to stop letting teams put up 100 points on us.
1 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 months ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 months ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 2 months ago I don't know what's going to come first. We land another bid, or I read through a thread where 15 isn't arguing or bickering with someone. It's literally every game thread. Over and over.. Jesus Christ, it's so annoying...

I agree with you Bar, Weston was fantastic on the defensive end. He was the difference because once Cam came in, he got beat immediately on the defensive end... Archie has a tough decision. Does he stick with Weston, who is a better defender, or does he stick with a young, weaker defender but a talented offensive player in Cam? We'll see. He also seems to be favoring Brown over Fuchs recently. Personally, I'd rather lose and keep our two freshmen happy than win somewhat meaningless games. But I trust Archie and his decisions.
Tell that to Billyboy who got his feelings hurt when I defended RVs tweet.

I was enjoying the victory and posting, bickering at nobody, yet he came at me just for the hell of it saying I was RVs brother.
Yeah, but it's you, so, automatically you are not only wrong, but also designated as "instigator."
Haha, NYG, I find it amusing how you portray 15 as an innocent individual who never provokes others here. Your recent comments suggest that you believe we simply assume he's in the wrong because he's Rhody15, as if his behavior towards others on here has no bearing on our opinions.… And yes, it's not always his fault. In this particular case, he wasn't the instigator. However, when there's consistently one person involved in arguments and engaging in this tedious back-and-forth across all threads, it usually indicates that they're the source of the problem. My point is, it would be refreshing if we could enjoy game threads celebrating wins without them being sidetracked by this pointless name calling and bickering. This includes me, as he frequently irritates me, leading me to disrupt threads by arguing with him. So, I'll make an effort to improve my behavior as well.

Hopefully we beat UMass and we can focus on picking up a great win and avoid all the other stupid BS…
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Cross will eat us alive with or without Green. He’s a stud, I think we get beat by double digits at Umass. I know we played well but we’ve seen that before. I still have no idea what team will show up but if I had to guess I think UMass wants to kill us after we went off at home. I hope I’m wrong.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 months ago Cross will eat us alive with or without Green. He’s a stud, I think we get beat by double digits at Umass. I know we played well but we’ve seen that before. I still have no idea what team will show up but if I had to guess I think UMass wants to kill us after we went off at home. I hope I’m wrong.
Odds are about 50/50 that you'll be wrong. Literally impossible to predict what will happen with this team. Don't know how anyone would feel confident either way.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 months ago Cross will eat us alive with or without Green. He’s a stud, I think we get beat by double digits at Umass. I know we played well but we’ve seen that before. I still have no idea what team will show up but if I had to guess I think UMass wants to kill us after we went off at home. I hope I’m wrong.
I don’t like the Cross match up and UMass will be stoked for revenge. Hope we show up with big balls and punch back.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 months ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 months ago

Tell that to Billyboy who got his feelings hurt when I defended RVs tweet.

I was enjoying the victory and posting, bickering at nobody, yet he came at me just for the hell of it saying I was RVs brother.
Yeah, but it's you, so, automatically you are not only wrong, but also designated as "instigator."
Haha, NYG, I find it amusing how you portray 15 as an innocent individual who never provokes others here. Your recent comments suggest that you believe we simply assume he's in the wrong because he's Rhody15, as if his behavior towards others on here has no bearing on our opinions.… And yes, it's not always his fault. In this particular case, he wasn't the instigator. However, when there's consistently one person involved in arguments and engaging in this tedious back-and-forth across all threads, it usually indicates that they're the source of the problem. My point is, it would be refreshing if we could enjoy game threads celebrating wins without them being sidetracked by this pointless name calling and bickering. This includes me, as he frequently irritates me, leading me to disrupt threads by arguing with him. So, I'll make an effort to improve my behavior as well.

Hopefully we beat UMass and we can focus on picking up a great win and avoid all the other stupid BS…
Go Rhody
0 x
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 months ago
I don’t like the Cross match up and UMass will be stoked for revenge. Hope we show up with big balls and punch back.
So frustrating to try to figure out which team shows up. That's the axiom of being a young team I guess.

If it's the team that showed up in the first UMass meeting and against GW? We win running away no matter who's playing.

If it's the team that showed up on the road for Bonnies, Dayton, or George Mason? We lose with or without Cross.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 2 months ago
So frustrating to try to figure out which team shows up. That's the axiom of being a young team I guess.

If it's the team that showed up in the first UMass meeting and against GW? We win running away no matter who's playing.

If it's the team that showed up on the road for Bonnies, Dayton, or George Mason? We lose with or without Cross.
Yep. We have to match their intensity on defense.

We have to consider what kind of impact Zek will have! How good are we with an awakened Zek and David Green? Might be too much for them.
1 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

I think there may be a nexus between ZM’s and DG’s style of play which affects how ZK has played. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that ZM’s game went south when DG started playing and the other way when he was out. To me ZM’s game looks similar to DG’s game but he’s smaller and not as physical. I guess we’ll see if there if anything to it soon.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

KevanBoyles wrote: 2 months ago I think there may be a nexus between ZM’s and DG’s style of play which affects how ZK has played. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that ZM’s game went south when DG started playing and the other way when he was out. To me ZM’s game looks similar to DG’s game but he’s smaller and not as physical. I guess we’ll see if there if anything to it soon.
Yup, been saying this for weeks.

Can’t deny Green has significantly impacted Zek’s production.

It’s clear as day.
0 x
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Blue Man wrote: 2 months ago

That’s what I’m feeling as well , hopefully it’s the 2h of the GW that shows up then we have a really good chance
1 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

I have to believe the thing with Zek and Green is over analyzing . What I have witnessed was that Zek definitely exhibited signs that his shoulder was a major problem for him and he wasn't able to physically perform as he had when he wasn't injured . I believe the shoulder pain bothered him significantly
and clearly affected all of his shooting , including finishing on drives . I also think even as the pain may have disappeared a couple of games before Gw
it had affected his confidence as well . The game before GW i think he missed seven straight shots , but then made some free throws and hit a couple shots near the late part of the second half which may have given a boost to his confidence . I'm hoping that is the case and his improved performance
will continue for the remainder of the season . If that is proven to be true , we will be a much better team going forward , if not we will continue to
be too inconsistent to string together any wins that might brighten up our prospects for any turnaround and that would be a shame . Gotta hope
better days are near.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think Zek was definitely bothered by his shoulder but he went through a brutal 5 or 6 game stretch where he couldn’t make anything , his confidence took a hit
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 2 months ago I think Zek was definitely bothered by his shoulder but he went through a brutal 5 or 6 game stretch where he couldn’t make anything , his confidence took a hit
It was more like a 15 game stretch starting with Providence.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 months ago
bigappleram wrote: 2 months ago

They have a talented starting 5, but besides Bishop they are very young and don’t have a ton of depth. They do however have some bucket getters and given our perimeter defensive woes the matchup isn’t great. We also have played like trash down there for several years.
Yea individually they are much more talented than us. Caputo underachieving with them.

La Salle at home is their only puzzling conference loss, no shame in losing @ UMass, @ Dayton, @ Richmond.

Also won @ VCU.

Wouldn't surprise me if Buchanan leaves after this year, he's a stud.
I'm sorry, but they are not much more talented than we are. They feasted on the weakest OOC in the A-10 while barely beating teams like Navy, Maryland Eastern Shore and Alcorn State.

They will likely beat us, but it is wild to say they are more talented than we are. Better defense? Better team overall? Yes. Don't know where you are seeing all this talent, because they look like they have average A-10 talent.

I mean, was GMU that much more talented than us? Or did we just give them 2000 wide open threes?
GW has now lost 7 straight games.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

sevegny7 wrote: 2 months ago Who cares if they are individually talented. They still suck.
It is a fact mutiple people were calling them a TOP 5 A10 team this year.

I would not want their young nucleus. James Bishop is gone next year and so is Akingbola. When bishop leaves they will struggle big time. We would not be happy if GW was our team is all Im saying. We would complain the same amount as the current team we have.
George Washington now having lost 7 straight A10 games with things looking challenging. The 2 worst NET Teams remaining are St Louis 224 and LaSalle 238 BUT both of those games are on the road so even those could be losses. GW could end up being the worst team in the A10. They did not look good against URI or against GMU last night.

GW (3-8), started off 3-1 but 0-7 since. GW NET = 198

Record and current NET

Feb 17 Richmond (9-1) - 70
Feb 21 @ St Joseph's (6-5) - 95
Feb 24 @ St Louis (2-9) - 224
Feb 27 UMASS (6-5) - 93
Mar 2 @ LaSalle (2-10) - 238
Mar 6 St Bonaventure (5-6) - 73
Mar 9 @ Duquesne (4-7) - 105
1 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

ramster wrote: 2 months ago
sevegny7 wrote: 2 months ago Who cares if they are individually talented. They still suck.

I would not want their young nucleus. James Bishop is gone next year and so is Akingbola. When bishop leaves they will struggle big time. We would not be happy if GW was our team is all Im saying. We would complain the same amount as the current team we have.
George Washington now having lost 7 straight A10 games with things looking challenging. The 2 worst NET Teams remaining are St Louis 224 and LaSalle 238 BUT both of those games are on the road so even those could be losses. GW could end up being the worst team in the A10. They did not look good against URI or against GMU last night.

Record and current NET

Feb 27 UMASS (6-5) - 93
Yeah it is not shocking that this is how it is playing out. They are really young and not deep or talented. Their young guys are relied upon way more than any other A10 team which makes it artificially inflated how good they are.

People love Garrett Johnson but look at his last three games. They are terrible. Some posters the grass is always greener so they can complain.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

GW=

🧁
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

GW LaSalle and St Louis , 3 bottom dwellers this year
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

sevegny7 wrote: 2 months ago

Record and current NET

Feb 27 UMASS (6-5) - 93
Yeah it is not shocking that this is how it is playing out. They are really young and not deep or talented. Their young guys are relied upon way more than any other A10 team which makes it artificially inflated how good they are.

People love Garrett Johnson but look at his last three games. They are terrible. Some posters the grass is always greener so they can complain.
Certainly not "much more talented than us"

When I watched them struggle to beat Alcorn St, Navy, MD Eastern Shore and D2 Bowie State, I figured they maybe weren't great lol. Now they've obviously given up.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Record and current NET

Feb 27 UMASS (6-5) - 93

These players were overrated. It's easy to see their talent level is overrated
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Record and current NET

Feb 27 UMASS (6-5) - 93

These players were overrated. It's easy to see their talent level is overrated
Caputo going to survive this ? How many years left after this on his contract ?
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Of course Caputo is going to be fine. It’s year 2. It’s GW. He’ll get at least 4 years unless the wheels completely fall off.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 months ago Of course Caputo is going to be fine. It’s year 2. It’s GW. He’ll get at least 4 years unless the wheels completely fall off.
This is also only his 2nd season as being a HC, longtime assistant at Miami.

From the GW website:
https://gwsports.com/sports/mens-basketball?path=mbball
Chris Caputo immediately made his mark on the GW basketball in his first year with the program in 2022-23. Under his leadership, the Buff & Blue posted their best regular season in six years, enjoying the most overall wins (16), most Atlantic 10 conference wins (10) and first A-10 winning record since the 2016-17 season."

"Caputo recorded the second-most A-10 wins (10) for a first-year GW bench boss in program history and the fourth-most overall wins (16) in GW's A-10 era."

Remember this team is very young, starting 2 freshmen and a soph and another 2 freshmen and a soph getting substantial minutes.
They aren't devoid of talent and hopefully they can keep this group together.

They did beat VCU and Delaware this season prior to their slide.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 months ago
bigappleram wrote: 2 months ago Of course Caputo is going to be fine. It’s year 2. It’s GW. He’ll get at least 4 years unless the wheels completely fall off.
This is also only his 2nd season as being a HC, longtime assistant at Miami.

From the GW website:
https://gwsports.com/sports/mens-basketball?path=mbball
Chris Caputo immediately made his mark on the GW basketball in his first year with the program in 2022-23. Under his leadership, the Buff & Blue posted their best regular season in six years, enjoying the most overall wins (16), most Atlantic 10 conference wins (10) and first A-10 winning record since the 2016-17 season."

"Caputo recorded the second-most A-10 wins (10) for a first-year GW bench boss in program history and the fourth-most overall wins (16) in GW's A-10 era."

Remember this team is very young, starting 2 freshmen and a soph and another 2 freshmen and a soph getting substantial minutes.
They aren't devoid of talent and hopefully they can keep this group together.

They did beat VCU and Delaware this season prior to their slide.
Oh yes , I didn’t realize only year 2
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

GW records its EIGHTH straight loss getting beat by Richmond at home today 90-74. The final margin is amazingly right in line with the average for the other games in this losing streak. GW is now 3-9 in conference play with four of its remaining six games on the road.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RF1 wrote: 2 months ago GW records its EIGHTH straight loss getting beat by Richmond at home today 90-74. The final margin is amazingly right in line with the average for the other games in this losing streak. GW is now 3-9 in conference play with four of its remaining six games on the road.
I would think next year would be a big year for Coach Capito considering this year’s conference collapse
1 x