Understanding the NIL

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: Understanding the NIL

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Obadiah wrote: 2 months ago Another twist to the NIL saga. I never heard of Campus Ink before this article. Interesting that if Campus Ink signs a contract with a school all their athletes can have shot at making money. "When Campus Ink adds a school, each athlete — from football to rowing — can sign a contract to sell merchandise through the school’s NIL Store. Because every NIL item is made-to-order, Campus Ink doesn’t lose any money by offering shirts for a third-string linebacker or backup soccer goalie." And the Campus Ink revenue payout to the athlete -averaging about 20% - is higher than what Adidas, Nike, Under Armour offer. Obviously, the bigger the school and the bigger the athlete's reputation will dictate the biggest revenue payout. It will be interesting to see how the competition responds to Campus Ink actions.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... s-ink-nil/
I've seen other schools have an NIL store where you can get custom clothes. Wonder how long it will take to reach us
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 2 months ago Sure, players should get a piece of their jersey sales. But the deals need to be structured on performance.
Umm, they would be? Better performance leads to more jerseys sold, leads to players being paid on production.

That's literally something the NCAA could have allowed decades ago, but didn't want to give the players anything. The NCAA is now reaping the damage from that shortsightedness
Last edited by RhowdyRam02 2 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 2 months ago It’s the changing landscape getting these coaches frustrated with college hoops

Let’s get DH another natty and get him an NBA job away from NIL and the portal !
The changing landscape of players having money and options, just like coaches always had? Oh, the horror!
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 months ago
Obadiah wrote: 2 months ago Another twist to the NIL saga. I never heard of Campus Ink before this article. Interesting that if Campus Ink signs a contract with a school all their athletes can have shot at making money. "When Campus Ink adds a school, each athlete — from football to rowing — can sign a contract to sell merchandise through the school’s NIL Store. Because every NIL item is made-to-order, Campus Ink doesn’t lose any money by offering shirts for a third-string linebacker or backup soccer goalie." And the Campus Ink revenue payout to the athlete -averaging about 20% - is higher than what Adidas, Nike, Under Armour offer. Obviously, the bigger the school and the bigger the athlete's reputation will dictate the biggest revenue payout. It will be interesting to see how the competition responds to Campus Ink actions.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... s-ink-nil/
I've seen other schools have an NIL store where you can get custom clothes. Wonder how long it will take to reach us
Probably right before it ceases to be a factor?
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Logically players should have always received compensation for jersey sales. And being in video games. That’s was just blatant abuse of their actual NIL.

Ed O’bannon’s suit against EA and Chris Webber railing about all the kids walking around with UM #4 jerseys was the canary in the coal mine of this entire issue. Ncaa turned a blind eye towards it and now it’s a mess they can no longer control.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Yep, not only did they not receive $$ for those jerseys...if they ever autographed and sold one, they were screwed...
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Pigs get fed, hogs get slaughtered. The NCAA could have kept most of its power and money if they would have instituted common sense changes. Once they lost in court everyone saw the emperor had no clothes and now the NCAA is mostly irrelevant and living on borrowed time
2 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

Has anyone seen this
A National Labor Relations Board regional official ruled Monday that Dartmouth basketball players are employees of the school, clearing the way for an election that would create the first-ever labor union for NCAA athletes.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rjv wrote: 2 months ago Has anyone seen this
A National Labor Relations Board regional official ruled Monday that Dartmouth basketball players are employees of the school, clearing the way for an election that would create the first-ever labor union for NCAA athletes.
College athletes want to be treated like professionals but want to be able to leave their school every single year and become immediately eligible lol the hypocrisy is incredible.
1 x
Go Rhody
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I haven’t seen anything, RJV.

Where did you see it ?
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

ESPN
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 2 months ago
College athletes want to be treated like professionals but want to be able to leave their school every single year and become immediately eligible lol the hypocrisy is incredible.
Huh? I'm thinking I could leave my employer any and every single year that another would pay me.
If I didn't think I'd be treated like a professional, I wouldn't go. And, if 'hypocrisy' means, realizing who's in the driver's seat, I agree with you.

Maybe they need to start working in NIL escalator clauses with RCA's?
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

rjv wrote: 2 months agoESPN
Excellent catch, RJV.

Looks like there’s a good story on Yahoo Sports. Says the Dartmouth players made an announcement - after the ruling - to start an Ivy League Players Association.

Also says Dartmouth intends to appeal the NLRB ruling.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 months ago
Huh? I'm thinking I could leave my employer any and every single year that another would pay me.
If I didn't think I'd be treated like a professional, I wouldn't go. And, if 'hypocrisy' means, realizing who's in the driver's seat, I agree with you.

Professional athletes.
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Professional athletes.
So, maybe knock down that fake "NIL is not to be used as a recruiting inducement" nonsense, and put #s of years to the contracts?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Hyposrisy? Top professional athletes have contracts with guarantees and insurance and a players union and pensions. I'm sure players would love to have those things and wouldn't worry about being able to leave every single year anymore.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

TL;DR: "The model has been crumbling"
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 months ago
rjv wrote: 2 months agoESPN
Excellent catch, RJV.

Looks like there’s a good story on Yahoo Sports. Says the Dartmouth players made an announcement - after the ruling - to start an Ivy League Players Association.

Also says Dartmouth intends to appeal the NLRB ruling.
Reading up on this decision further…

It seems a key for the NLRB ruling today is the fact that Dartmouth is a private institution versus a state/public university that is subject to state labor laws. Hence, since Dartmouth is a private institution, it falls under the jurisdiction of the NLRB.

So, can this ruling result in a system where college athletes at private universities are considered employees while those at public institutions aren’t ?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

adam914 wrote: 2 months ago Hyposrisy? Top professional athletes have contracts with guarantees and insurance and a players union and pensions. I'm sure players would love to have those things and wouldn't worry about being able to leave every single year anymore.
NIL isn’t based on performance or injuries, so I’m like 99.9% sure if these kids sign massive deals, they get the money regardless of how they perform or if they get hurt.
0 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Dartmouth is 5-14. The best tweet I saw said if the players are all employees then they should all be fired. :D
4 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Still trying to figure out how their “acedemic scholarship” plays a role here now. That’s hundreds of thousands of dollars at times.
0 x
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 months ago
theblueram wrote: 2 months ago Sure, players should get a piece of their jersey sales. But the deals need to be structured on performance.
Umm, they would be? Better performance leads to more jerseys sold, leads to players being paid on production.

That's literally something the NCAA could have allowed decades ago, but didn't want to give the players anything. The NCAA is now reaping the damage from that shortsightedness
Unless your name is Arch Manning. :lol:
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 months ago Still trying to figure out how their “acedemic scholarship” plays a role here now. That’s hundreds of thousands of dollars at times.
Make it taxable income
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

What make this beyond confusing is that the Ivy league does not give out scholarships they give grants based on financial need. There are no academic scholarships. So I guess if you are an employee you get all the benefits of an employee and get paid to play. How will that work?
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I assume employees and their families get free or reduced tuition. So do they get rid of athletic scholarships and just pay them?
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

RIFan wrote: 2 months ago I assume employees and their families get free or reduced tuition. So do they get rid of athletic scholarships and just pay them?
RIFan, the Ivy League schools don’t offer athletic scholly’s as far as I know. Instead the schools provide financial based aid.

I wonder if that approach will change in any way if Dartmouth is unsuccessful in their expected appeal of the NLRB ruling (Dartmouth has 10 days to appeal).

Interestingly, there is another complaint before the NLRB between USC, athletes and social media rules instituted by the school.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

bigappleram wrote: 2 months ago Dartmouth is 5-14. The best tweet I saw said if the players are all employees then they should all be fired. :D
I don't tweet but that is awesome. Love it. Thanks for sharing.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Pitino wants a salary cap now ! Adapt to the rules Ricky it is what it is !
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Seems like the rules are now, there are no rules!
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 2 months ago Pitino wants a salary cap now ! Adapt to the rules Ricky it is what it is !
I don't hate the idea of a cap...caps and contracts. If they're gonna be treated like pros, make 'em sign multi year deals.
Pro teams have more stability than college teams these days...
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Remember when a scholarship was the golden ticket to a college degree? Maybe the NBA needs a farm league like baseball.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

reef wrote: 2 months ago Pitino wants a salary cap now ! Adapt to the rules Ricky it is what it is !
I don't hate the idea of a cap...caps and contracts. If they're gonna be treated like pros, make 'em sign multi year deals.
Each team get a GM like you mentioned!
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 2 months ago
Hey, you are (somebody is) paying people to play a sport. The pros don't have everything set up that they do just for fun...
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Hey, you are (somebody is) paying people to play a sport. The pros don't have everything set up that they do just for fun...
Tammi Reiss said just before this season started “We are not Head Coaches anymore, we are General Managers”
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 2 months ago

Tammi Reiss said just before this season started “We are not Head Coaches anymore, we are General Managers”
That's the problem...I just want them to be coaches...
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

A GM. Where did I hear that before?????
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Anyone hear about this ?

The BIG and SEC announcing the two conferences forming an Advisory Group of BIG/SEC universities Presidents, Chancellors and AD’s to address significant challenges facing college athletics.

I saw a copy of an official BIG tweet with the announcement dated 2/2/24 (@ 12:30 pm).

I don’t recall anyone here posting about it so I figured I’d post it here - since NIL is one of the issues - for anyone interested in looking into the announcement and discussing.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 months ago Anyone hear about this ?

The BIG and SEC announcing the two conferences forming an Advisory Group of BIG/SEC universities Presidents, Chancellors and AD’s to address significant challenges facing college athletics.

I saw a copy of an official BIG tweet with the announcement dated 2/2/24 (@ 12:30 pm).

I don’t recall anyone here posting about it so I figured I’d post it here - since NIL is one of the issues - for anyone interested in looking into the announcement and discussing.
As the Cartel takes yet another step toward leaving the NCAA entirely ...
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Love the meeting ! I’m taking this as good news though who knows what’s going to happen !
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Love the meeting ! I’m taking this as good news though who knows what’s going to happen !
I'm not a doomer by any stretch but I cannot see how this would be a positive thing. The two conferences that are raiding and pillaging every other conference want to team up together to discuss the issues facing athletics? They are the problem facing athletics. This feels very much like "we investigated ourselves and found no wrongdoing." This seems like a next step in making things a bit more chaotic and a little bit worse for everyone else.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 months ago

I'm not a doomer by any stretch but I cannot see how this would be a positive thing. The two conferences that are raiding and pillaging every other conference want to team up together to discuss the issues facing athletics? They are the problem facing athletics. This feels very much like "we investigated ourselves and found no wrongdoing." This seems like a next step in making things a bit more chaotic and a little bit worse for everyone else.
Doesn't change anything....it's going where it's going. This may speed things up a bit, that's all.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

This isn’t a negative. The conferences, ADs, etc are going to have to fix this mess bc the NCAA is now powerless. Seems like everyone agrees the unlimited transferring isn’t sustainable so should be consensus to rein that in at some point.
2 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

bigappleram wrote: 2 months ago This isn’t a negative. The conferences, ADs, etc are going to have to fix this mess bc the NCAA is now powerless. Seems like everyone agrees the unlimited transferring isn’t sustainable so should be consensus to rein that in at some point.
I think something needs to be done to curb this path but the two conferences eroding the environment being the ones responsible for assessing why athletics is eroding seems wildly disingenuous. They can certainly be part of the working group and have a voice but the fact they're the only voices in the room makes this lose any credibility.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 months ago
bigappleram wrote: 2 months ago This isn’t a negative. The conferences, ADs, etc are going to have to fix this mess bc the NCAA is now powerless. Seems like everyone agrees the unlimited transferring isn’t sustainable so should be consensus to rein that in at some point.
I think something needs to be done to curb this path but the two conferences eroding the environment being the ones responsible for assessing why athletics is eroding seems wildly disingenuous. They can certainly be part of the working group and have a voice but the fact they're the only voices in the room makes this lose any credibility.
"Erosion" "Evolution"
Potato....toe-mah-to
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

The SEC will distribute $741 million to its 14 member universities, about $51.3 million per school, from the 2022-23 fiscal year, commissioner Greg Sankey announced Thursday.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

1 x
Go Rhody
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

No wonder FSU wants in so badly
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

And even further proof that the players deserve a piece of that insane amount of money.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

0 x
Go Rhody