2/3 | Duquesne | 12:30PM (USA)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: 2/3 | Duquesne | 12:30PM (USA)

Unread post by reef »

True and hard to feel really good about that 71-69 LaSalle win where they shot it so damn poorly
0 x
cRAM4finals
Jeff Kent

Unread post by cRAM4finals »

I’ve been reading often but haven’t posted in a long time. Can’t hold back much longer. I’ve been thinking back to Archie’s introductory presser. I was soooo jacked to listen that day about what he was bringing to our program and to the Ryan Center. He said all the right things. Here’s a few things he said that resonated:

- he said…Style of play is big. How we are identified is paramount. When people turn on television, when people walk into the Ryan Center, when they watch us play, what do they say? What do they think? How do they feel? That’s something that I have stewed on for 12 straight months…and nothing will be more important.
My grade here D+. I have left the Ryan Center feeling good once this year. After David Green played his first game at the RC. That was it. I sit across from the bench, and watch players poor reactions to his coaching and counsel. I’d have benched Fuchs, LK, BW multiple times for their insubordination and general lack of hustle. Yesterday, Archie stared in the opposite direction of the action on the court at least 5x. All of this is troubling for fans to watch. I remember telling Dan Hurley at a fundraiser before his 2nd year how awesome it was to see players giving 110% effort throughout the game. He was almost upset with me saying that, as if fans should expect that kind of effort even when talent isn’t there. And he was right.

- he said…. Defensively we’re gonna be a connected tough minded group. The Identity of our program for our players, and this will be stamped into their brains every day, we want a hard-hard group of people, and when they think about our players our team our program, the other people on the other side, have to shake their heads and say damn this gonna be hard today, I have to play against them, it’s gonna be hard today, we have to go into Ryan Center, that’s gonna be hard today. It’s gonna be difficult to deal with us. We have to have a hardened group of people.
My Grade here D. This can’t be further from the current truth. This grade has improved from D- since David Green’s arrival.

-he said… Secondly, smart. Teachable. Smart. Know what you’re supposed to do, when you’re supposed to do it, and do it when the money is on a the line. Smart group, who doesn’t beat themselves.
Grade F. Based on yesterday’s presser, most starters we have today are not teachable and that is pretty clear to even the most casual Rhody fan

- he said…Fast in every way possible….the word fast is how you describe our team. The way we run to the huddles, the way we run off the floor, to the way we run the floor back, the way we run after the ball, to the way we run to the floor, you name the thing that we’re doing, and what style of the season that we’re in, fast is a pace that we want to be be in that mode.
Grade C- offense is generally quick to get the ball up the floor, but only with in game urging from coach (except for Fuchs who refuses or is incapable of anything more than a moderate jog)

-he said… lastly. Together. You have to be loyal to your core to our program - not just on a conditional level. We have to develop togetherness. It’s unbreakable….so hard, smart, fast, together, that’s our program that’s what we want to be about. Now we just don’t get there tomorrow and it will take a lot of work.
Grade D- this team seems anything but together. Again, David Green seemed to be the big brother type at first, and teammates were responding but the wheels seemed to have fallen off that bus

I’m posting this almost because I want Archie to read it. That first presser felt like a contract between him and me (us) when he was speaking. And I want it to be fulfilled in the worst way. I want him to play the guys who subscribe to his style and his system. I want TJ Buchanan effort from everyone who is on the floor wearing a Rhody uniform. We all deserve better.

Sorry this was so long
9 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

cRAM4finals wrote: 2 months ago I’ve been reading often but haven’t posted in a long time. Can’t hold back much longer. I’ve been thinking back to Archie’s introductory presser. I was soooo jacked to listen that day about what he was bringing to our program and to the Ryan Center. He said all the right things. Here’s a few things he said that resonated:

- he said…Style of play is big. How we are identified is paramount. When people turn on television, when people walk into the Ryan Center, when they watch us play, what do they say? What do they think? How do they feel? That’s something that I have stewed on for 12 straight months…and nothing will be more important.
My grade here D+. I have left the Ryan Center feeling good once this year. After David Green played his first game at the RC. That was it. I sit across from the bench, and watch players poor reactions to his coaching and counsel. I’d have benched Fuchs, LK, BW multiple times for their insubordination and general lack of hustle. Yesterday, Archie stared in the opposite direction of the action on the court at least 5x. All of this is troubling for fans to watch. I remember telling Dan Hurley at a fundraiser before his 2nd year how awesome it was to see players giving 110% effort throughout the game. He was almost upset with me saying that, as if fans should expect that kind of effort even when talent isn’t there. And he was right.

- he said…. Defensively we’re gonna be a connected tough minded group. The Identity of our program for our players, and this will be stamped into their brains every day, we want a hard-hard group of people, and when they think about our players our team our program, the other people on the other side, have to shake their heads and say damn this gonna be hard today, I have to play against them, it’s gonna be hard today, we have to go into Ryan Center, that’s gonna be hard today. It’s gonna be difficult to deal with us. We have to have a hardened group of people.
My Grade here D. This can’t be further from the current truth. This grade has improved from D- since David Green’s arrival.

-he said… Secondly, smart. Teachable. Smart. Know what you’re supposed to do, when you’re supposed to do it, and do it when the money is on a the line. Smart group, who doesn’t beat themselves.
Grade F. Based on yesterday’s presser, most starters we have today are not teachable and that is pretty clear to even the most casual Rhody fan

- he said…Fast in every way possible….the word fast is how you describe our team. The way we run to the huddles, the way we run off the floor, to the way we run the floor back, the way we run after the ball, to the way we run to the floor, you name the thing that we’re doing, and what style of the season that we’re in, fast is a pace that we want to be be in that mode.
Grade C- offense is generally quick to get the ball up the floor, but only with in game urging from coach (except for Fuchs who refuses or is incapable of anything more than a moderate jog)

-he said… lastly. Together. You have to be loyal to your core to our program - not just on a conditional level. We have to develop togetherness. It’s unbreakable….so hard, smart, fast, together, that’s our program that’s what we want to be about. Now we just don’t get there tomorrow and it will take a lot of work.
Grade D- this team seems anything but together. Again, David Green seemed to be the big brother type at first, and teammates were responding but the wheels seemed to have fallen off that bus

I’m posting this almost because I want Archie to read it. That first presser felt like a contract between him and me (us) when he was speaking. And I want it to be fulfilled in the worst way. I want him to play the guys who subscribe to his style and his system. I want TJ Buchanan effort from everyone who is on the floor wearing a Rhody uniform. We all deserve better.

Sorry this was so long
Unfortunately I can't argue with much of this. I don't blame him for having to rebuild the roster after taking over for Cox, and I give him most of a pass for last season. Unfortunately this second rebuild is all on him for not bringing in and keeping enough impact players from his first group and the results so far this year are subpar. I'm still giving him at least two more years to get us back into the tournament. Keeping a core from this year to next, getting improvement out of that core over the summer, and bringing in better transfers if we've have roster room is absolutely vital for year 3
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 months ago
cRAM4finals wrote: 2 months ago I’ve been reading often but haven’t posted in a long time. Can’t hold back much longer. I’ve been thinking back to Archie’s introductory presser. I was soooo jacked to listen that day about what he was bringing to our program and to the Ryan Center. He said all the right things. Here’s a few things he said that resonated:

Sorry this was so long
Unfortunately I can't argue with much of this. I don't blame him for having to rebuild the roster after taking over for Cox, and I give him most of a pass for last season. Unfortunately this second rebuild is all on him for not bringing in and keeping enough impact players from his first group and the results so far this year are subpar. I'm still giving him at least two more years to get us back into the tournament. Keeping a core from this year to next, getting improvement out of that core over the summer, and bringing in better transfers if we've have roster room is absolutely vital for year 3
He has the offense. But his defense sucks. This team is charmin soft on defense. When that changes, we will start winning.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

The amount of back plays the Dukes ran yesterday for wide open plays was incredible.

Pick and rolls, short corner passes to the high post man dropping, back door cuts, etc etc.

High school level plays were getting these guys wide open and we couldn’t stop it.
0 x
Go Rhody
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Sorry this was so long
At least 2 more years? So if they win the A-10 tourney with the Auto bid in year 5 which can happen in this very mediocre conference you are good with the job he did? Obviously we paid him and there isn’t a better scenario anyway, but how bringing in some winning type players.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Sorry this was so long
Very well thought out post ! I’m good with giving Arch the benefit of the doubt but hopefully starting next year we can get some positive results going forward
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RamStock wrote: 2 months ago

Sorry this was so long
At least 2 more years? So if they win the A-10 tourney with the Auto bid in year 5 which can happen in this very mediocre conference you are good with the job he did? Obviously we paid him and there isn’t a better scenario anyway, but how bringing in some winning type players.
I was pretty fucking happy when Dan Hurley's team won the A10 tournament in his fifth year here in a mediocre conference, so yeah, I guess I would be good with that. Hell, I'd be so good with it I might greet that team at the airport just like I greeted that Hurley team at TF Green. I seem to remember everyone else being pretty fucking happy with it as well
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I’m not ready to hit that panic button just yet ! In reality year 2 isn’t done so it’s possible we are even with DH in first 2 years
Let’s have it play out if we can match FH would be great and let’s see if we can dance by year 5 who knows ?
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Well , the season may not turn out that much better , but we definitely have younger talent in Estevez , Fuchs , Foumena and even Dubsky . They
could be major building blocks even in the near term . Two players most be jettisoned for next season to make room for the incoming freshmen .
Who will they be ? Stewart , Dubsky Montgomery , Wright , Brown , Bilal ? Bilal " injury history makes him a candidate . Rory" lack of playing time
Makes him a prime candidate . Neither Brown or Montgomery have lived up to expectations . The overall talent level i believe is much better . I think
they are on their way to reaching a competitive talent level . Hopefully the two incoming freshmen will significantly improve the defense which would make this team look different in a good way . Imo it will be easier to turn the defense around then it would be to improve a team that has no scoring potential , so we may not be that far away from what we want to see next season.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

i'd keep about 7"ish"players - the rest i would try to upgrade

the question remains - can we keep those 7"ish" players

we also need FOU to eat some pasta and bulk up
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

What number of new players next year would be considered a rebuild? Is it 2 new players, is it 5, how about if we turn over 50% of the roster is that a rebuild.
Or does it not matter as long as the team wins regardless of how many new player.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

rjv wrote: 2 months ago What number of new players next year would be considered a rebuild? Is it 2 new players, is it 5, how about if we turn over 50% of the roster is that a rebuild.
Or does it not matter as long as the team wins regardless of how many new player.
Probably depends on which players leave.
If you lose your core players which would include the promising freshmen than yes, that would be a rebuild.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 months ago
rjv wrote: 2 months ago What number of new players next year would be considered a rebuild? Is it 2 new players, is it 5, how about if we turn over 50% of the roster is that a rebuild.
Probably depends on which players leave.
If you lose your core players which would include the promising freshmen than yes, that would be a rebuild.
Agree. Certainly not a reload. 😏
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

This is going to be very interesting on who stays and who goes

Also what’s the rule on 2 time transfers now ? Are they free to transfer without penalty ?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

McRam wrote: 2 months ago
TruePoint wrote: 2 months ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 2 months ago Hey guys! Just wait out the year!

Don't overreact or anything! Don't even hint that the sky is falling!

I mean….this product stinks to watch. There’s no denying that, or sugarcoating it. Still, we are clearly better than last year in just about every conceivable way. Any hope we had of arriving ahead of schedule I think can be forgotten at this point, but I don’t think we are behind schedule either. For as long as we continue to move in the right direction, however modestly, I don’t think we can say the sky is falling. Next year will be an important year - we cannot backslide from here, we have to get better and at some point hope something clicks and we make a leap.
I’ve said it another post- moving ahead is an extroidinary low bar- the question is -are we making as much progress as some of our competitors in our league. Has UMass Made more progress? How has George Mason done after losing their coach and two best players?Richmond lost their best player and seems to be even better this year. Loyola came in behind us last year and they are now in 3 rd place (6-2). Any objective third party would wonder why URI has not made the same progress as our competitors.
On some level the answer to your questions is important, but if we end up getting where we want to go it will be irrelevant. It is important only insofar as we think where we are right now is an indicator of where we will end up. It isn’t like UMass is 19-2 (8-1), they are having a marginally better season than us to this point which won’t amount to much of anything in the end anyways, same as ours. As far as these types rebuilds go, on the scale of what I actually care about, this is a marathon and not a sprint. Being a length ahead or behind in a year that was never going to end in tournament glory only seems important right now while we are in the middle of it. Ultimately it won’t matter.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

I was pretty fucking happy when Dan Hurley's team won the A10 tournament in his fifth year here in a mediocre conference, so yeah, I guess I would be good with that. Hell, I'd be so good with it I might greet that team at the airport just like I greeted that Hurley team at TF Green. I seem to remember everyone else being pretty fucking happy with it as well
That URI team played against much better teams than the this version of the A-10. I mean Richmond is the second best team, but probably would have been a 5th or 6th place team in 2017. The Hurley team was vastly superior to anything on this team which is why everyone was so upset that they had seemed to collapse after the Fordham game. They were expected to be a tourney team coming in and would have gotten in without winning the A-10 tourney. Archie Miller has been on a downhill slide since he left Dayton and though times are different in college basketball now, he doesn't seem to adjust to the teams he is playing or manage the roster correctly in terms of his substitutions and playing time. Would I take an average 16-16 team winning the A1-0 and making the tourney? Yes, because at this point it is the only way we ever get near a tourney bid.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

That URI team played against much better teams than the this version of the A-10. I mean Richmond is the second best team, but probably would have been a 5th or 6th place team in 2017. The Hurley team was vastly superior to anything on this team which is why everyone was so upset that they had seemed to collapse after the Fordham game. They were expected to be a tourney team coming in and would have gotten in without winning the A-10 tourney. Archie Miller has been on a downhill slide since he left Dayton and though times are different in college basketball now, he doesn't seem to adjust to the teams he is playing or manage the roster correctly in terms of his substitutions and playing time. Would I take an average 16-16 team winning the A1-0 and making the tourney? Yes, because at this point it is the only way we ever get near a tourney bid.
I don’t understand how you can look around the A10 and see that the quality - both overall and specifically at the top - has dipped versus a half decade ago and think that makes winning at URI easier. The same factors that are making it hard for everyone else in this conference are also making it harder for us. The landscape has changed based on macro-level changes to the sport that we have no control over.

Looking around the league and seeing diminished quality and thinking that should make it easier to win at URI is missing the forest for the trees, IMO.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

TruePoint wrote: 2 months ago

I don’t understand how you can look around the A10 and see that the quality - both overall and specifically at the top - has dipped versus a half decade ago and think that makes winning at URI easier. The same factors that are making it hard for everyone else in this conference are also making it harder for us. The landscape has changed based on macro-level changes to the sport that we have no control over.

Looking around the league and seeing diminished quality and thinking that should make it easier to win at URI is missing the forest for the trees, IMO.
It is pretty easy. The A-10 used to be a strong mid major with multiple bids in the tourney every year. It is pretty much a one bid league unless the top team which is usually Dayton gets upset. They might all be playing with the same rules, but the talent isn’t anywhere near it used to be in this league. Dayton would leave in a second if they got the opportunity. Just a bunch of below average teams in this conference beating one another.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

“Answering you question is pretty easy, [proceeds to say a bunch of stuff that is entirely unresponsive to the question].”

Ok, then…

I am not arguing with your premise that the A10 is weaker than it has been historically. I am asking you to please consider that the same macro factors that have conspired to weaken the conference are also impacting URI in a proportional way, thereby making URI’s challenge to succeed in the conference pretty similar to what it has been historically. If you can explain to me why the changing landscape of college basketball should be impacting URI differently and less deleteriously than its conference counterparts then I will accept that the weaker conference should be easier for URI to dominate. Otherwise I think it’s a false premise.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

TruePoint wrote: 2 months ago “Answering you question is pretty easy, [proceeds to say a bunch of stuff that is entirely unresponsive to the question].”

Ok, then…

I am not arguing with your premise that the A10 is weaker than it has been historically. I am asking you to please consider that the same macro factors that have conspired to weaken the conference are also impacting URI in a proportional way, thereby making URI’s challenge to succeed in the conference pretty similar to what it has been historically. If you can explain to me why the changing landscape of college basketball should be impacting URI differently and less deleteriously than its conference counterparts then I will accept that the weaker conference should be easier for URI to dominate. Otherwise I think it’s a false premise.
Yes TP, regardless of the overall talent level in the A10 as compared to years back, I don't see the road as getting any easier for Rhody.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Based on postseason appearances, the road is indeed getting much more difficult for URI basketball. Rhody's best success in last four decades came in the long ago period from 1987 to 1999 with eight postseason appearances in thirteen seasons under three different coaches (Penders/Skinner/Harrick). Since that time, the program has been in decline. The next span of eleven seasons saw five postseason bids but they were unfortunately all in the NIT under Baron. The last fourteen seasons have seen just three postseason appearances. In half of those years (7), the program will have registered losing records.

1987-1999 | 13 seasons | 8 Bids | NCAA-5 / NIT-3
2000-2010 | 11 seasons | 5 Bids | NCAA-0 / NIT-5
2011-2024 | 14 seasons | 3 Bids | NCAA-2 / NIT-1

URI did better several decades ago when the league was actually stronger. Even with the construction of the Ryan Center and Soloviev Practice Facility along with more recent large increases in spending (coaching salaries, operating exp, stipends, NIL, etc...), the results have been diminishing leading up to now. It would seem that URI has tried to adapt with more investment but it has not manifested itself with success. Perhaps, as noted by others above, the present landscape in college basketball is no longer conducive to programs such as URI and others in the A-10.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RF1 wrote: 2 months ago Based on postseason appearances, the road is indeed getting much more difficult for URI basketball. Rhody's best success in last four decades came in the long ago period from 1987 to 1999 with eight postseason appearances in thirteen seasons under three different coaches (Penders/Skinner/Harrick). Since that time, the program has been in decline. The next span of eleven seasons saw five postseason bids but they were unfortunately all in the NIT under Baron. The last fourteen seasons have seen just three postseason appearances. In half of those years (7), the program will have registered losing records.

URI did better several decades ago when the league was actually stronger. Even with the construction of the Ryan Center and Soloviev Practice Facility along with more recent large increases in spending (coaching salaries, operating exp, stipends, NIL, etc...), the results have been diminishing leading up to now. It would seem that URI has tried to adapt with more investment but it has not manifested itself with success. Perhaps, as noted by others above, the present landscape in college basketball is no longer conducive to programs such as URI and others in the A-10.

That is for sure.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

New and different landscape or not, the same programs are still the best in the A10.

URI has to find a way to get back to being among the best in the league, and stay there.

The challenge may be more difficult, but it has to happen.

2 years ago we thought we hired just the guy to get us there, a guy who led the best A10 program for years.

Unfortunately there is increasing doubt it will happen.

Maybe some here still believe he will, but until we see it, I can not agree.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 months ago New and different landscape or not, the same programs are still the best in the A10.

URI has to find a way to get back to being among the best in the league, and stay there.

2 years ago we thought we hired just the guy to get us there, a guy who led the best A10 program for years.

For years and years we were told is spending on charter flights, dedicated practice facilities, higher across the board pay hikes for coaches, locker rooms renovations, etc would be the necessary things to provide foundation for growth and stability. ROI is not much yet. No?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

section(105) wrote: 2 months ago
rambone 78 wrote: 2 months ago New and different landscape or not, the same programs are still the best in the A10.

For years and years we were told is spending on charter flights, dedicated practice facilities, higher across the board pay hikes for coaches, locker rooms renovations, etc would be the necessary things to provide foundation for growth and stability. ROI is not much yet. No?
All that stuff was needed years back.

It doesn’t really move the needle anymore.

Cash, cash, and more cash.
0 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 2 months ago

It is still too early to tell about the payback.
The facility upgrades are important for us to keep up.
Charter flights are helpful with logistics and scheduling.

Pay hikes are needed to maintain a strong staff.

So yes, it was all necessary.
Will it bring us more wins, hopefully yes.
But if we didn't do all this, we would continue to fall further behind.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Having the right coach used to be everything in college BB if you wanted to win.

Now it's that AND a boatload of cash, is what it takes.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 months ago
RF1 wrote: 2 months ago Based on postseason appearances, the road is indeed getting much more difficult for URI basketball. Rhody's best success in last four decades came in the long ago period from 1987 to 1999 with eight postseason appearances in thirteen seasons under three different coaches (Penders/Skinner/Harrick). Since that time, the program has been in decline. The next span of eleven seasons saw five postseason bids but they were unfortunately all in the NIT under Baron. The last fourteen seasons have seen just three postseason appearances. In half of those years (7), the program will have registered losing records.

That is for sure.
Really good chart to show the decline in performance

We need to get it turned around and sm hopeful Arch is the guy to do it , the jury is still out !
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 months ago Having the right coach used to be everything in college BB if you wanted to win.

Having a boatload of cash and the right General Manager matters now…

Plus a good coach, practice facility, plus playing time, plus yada, yada, yada.

Rhody, Thorr, Archie and the staff have much work to do for the program to keep pace.

Round and round it goes.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 months ago Having the right coach used to be everything in college BB if you wanted to win.

Richmond is 8-1 and right in the conversation. You really think that’s because they have a boatload of cash? Cmon people stop making up boogeymen. Half dozen mid majors making noise nationally this year. The woe is me doom and gloom is so tiring.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Bar, it wouldn't hurt for us to have enough money to bring in the talent we need.

Of course having a lot of money helps, but it doesn't guarantee success.
0 x