Italy Trip Updates #Rhody2Rome

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Italy Trip Updates #Rhody2Rome

Unread post by Obadiah »

Thanks, ace. You get a real good feeling about what a great all-around experience this trip is for the URI team. Doing this as often as the NCAA allows makes it a great recruiting tool.

BTW, those Italian ladies are awesome! How about having them come to the Ryan Center in an exchange program.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

rodfromcranston wrote:67, I think the main reason is "troll control".
On the Projo board, you'd click on the site to find some idiot spammed
every post.
Projo had no way to control this. Now, they've gone to Facebook for comments
on articles, and they no longer have any message boards.
I like this board, and the guys who run it. ATP has done a great job in
putting this together, and Nurse Kratchet, errrr TP keeps it moving.
Whatever happened to SGreenwell?
I'm still around and read, but I've never really been much of a high volume poster. Heck, I think I read the Projo board for more than a year before ever making a post. Also, I'm kind of in the camp that finds it hard to get into a sport until the season actually begins.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Glad you're still around SG!
Obadiah, there's one who looks like Cote di Pablo
from NCIS. All really nice and clean looking.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

As a benchmark, Clemson just concluded their game versus the same Indiana Pesre team URI faced. The Tigers won going away, 80-45. They have a recap and box score of the game already up on their website.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

The second game recap and box score was up pretty quick, don't forget the power issues when we played them
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I hear you, twisted, but more important is that we are coming off a 10 year nightmare with a coach who often accepted less than excellence, who whined often, but never demanded things, who had a narrow focus and couldn't see the bigger aspect of a classy basketball program, and couldn't ever articulate a vision for the program, let alone a sensible/informative recap of a game just played. That has all now changed with Dan Hurley and from now on, with or without Hurley, URI should never, never go back to that level of mediocrity.

As dedicated fans we have a right to demand things, a new court, a new weight center, a new scoreboard - and how about a better bus to take our players to road games, how about starting to plan for a practice facility, consider putting in the escalators originally planned for Ryan, increase the staffing in marketing and other important functions, etc. etc. No more mediocrity and hiding behind budget constraints.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

bressler3south wrote:BAR, thanks for the first-person account! I'm glad that you're enjoying your trip, pleasure-wise/business-wise….
Ramfan85: Get well soon…..

Also, a team run along Lake Como!!!!! Awesome!!!!!! 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Also, Also!!!!! If just the name "Bilas" is so provocative, perhaps the material is as well. The main point being that Coach Hurley and the Staff are serious about the kids' education. That's what counts!!!!! 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
Thank you, Bressler3south.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Obadiah wrote:As a benchmark, Clemson just concluded their game versus the same Indiana Pesre team URI faced. The Tigers won going away, 80-45. They have a recap and box score of the game already up on their website.
heh, Results like this are kind of why I don't really like to read too much into things until the season starts. The excitement was kind of beat out of me over various Baron-URI years (my early 20s), since you'd see even guys like Tyrese Sullivan and (I think) Tom Behrens play some minutes in the preseason and do well. "Hey, maybe URI is pretty deep this year..." And then, they play about 10 minutes during the season. I have the same problem with Celtics summer league and Red Sox spring training, so now, I just kind of willingly excommunicate myself from looking too deep into the pre-season stuff.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

My apologies to the big man, but around the 50 second mark, I definitely laughed

http://coxsportsonline.com/2013/08/uri- ... f-venezia/
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Hare ducking the pigeon? Must be a tall person problem
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
wakefield
Steve Chubin

Unread post by wakefield »

Obadiah wrote:I hear you, twisted, but more important is that we are coming off a 10 year nightmare with a coach who often accepted less than excellence, who whined often, but never demanded things, who had a narrow focus and couldn't see the bigger aspect of a classy basketball program, and couldn't ever articulate a vision for the program, let alone a sensible/informative recap of a game just played. That has all now changed with Dan Hurley and from now on, with or without Hurley, URI should never, never go back to that level of mediocrity.

As dedicated fans we have a right to demand things, a new court, a new weight center, a new scoreboard - and how about a better bus to take our players to road games, how about starting to plan for a practice facility, consider putting in the escalators originally planned for Ryan, increase the staffing in marketing and other important functions, etc. etc. No more mediocrity and hiding behind budget constraints.

The political environment for higher education in our country might spell out trouble for sports in colleges around the country. There is a push to be bring standardized tests to higher education and then they will want to compare it to college costs. In short, If this happens it will be the end of football at URI. We should keep football so they can take the hit for other sports at URI. You can call this an over reach by the federal government but they will try to find a way to bring standardized test to colleges by using federal student loan program as leverage.

In closing, How close is Chafee to Obama? Why do you think they tried to have Mancuso (no education back round) to head the higher education board?

We need to pay off our debt for the Ryan Center or set up a way to off set it as soon as possible. We need to have the center become a cash cow as soon as possible because we can not depend on URI/RI in the future.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Missing Linc Chafee will be gone in the next election.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
wakefield
Steve Chubin

Unread post by wakefield »

Taveras is more of a education reformist than Chafee. I am interested in finding out is Almond Jr. could be elected to office.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I need to visit Italy!!

Very happy for the players to have this opportunity to get some culture and expand their horizons beyond the typical baller / hip-hop culture they're bombarded with over here as top level college athletes.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Me, too. After Panama, I think Italy should be my next major vacation.

Specifically, this lake

And this

0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The final game of the URI Italy tour tips off in about 75 minutes in the city of Varese versus a team of All Stars. Varese is home of Cimberio Varese, one of the best teams in the Serie A league, the top league in Italy. My guess is URI will face its toughest competition of the tour.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Is that a start for every scholarship player during the trip? (Noting that Aaman isn't playing due to injury)
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ace wrote:
This 3 guard lineup seems to be catching on....still probably means nothing. Maybe they like TJ defending the 3?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

sf2010 wrote:Is that a start for every scholarship player during the trip? (Noting that Aaman isn't playing due to injury)
Did Jarelle get a start?
0 x
RIhoopz14
Kenny Green

Unread post by RIhoopz14 »

It really seems like he can throw any 3 of the guards out and be comfortable with it. It's amazing how every guard really seems to specialize in one thing (Powell-dribbling EC-slashing to basket Biggie-toughness and passing especially w pick&rolls TJ - defense Munford - all around scoring Butler - 3pt shooting) which makes it interesting combining certain groups of guards against different teams.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Rhody leads at the end of first quarter, 23-17.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Nice Jordan! I wonder how big their center is? Anyway, very nice numbers!
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

FORZA L'UNIVERSITA D'ISOLA DI RODI !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: 8-) :lol: :shock: 8-) :lol: :shock: 8-)
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ace wrote:
Wow, 37 point 3rd quarter!
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Given the depth of the lineup and the interchangeability of some of the positions, I wonder if it's crossed Hurley's mind to have a full second squad, ie, substitute a full five players at a time rather than 1 or 2 at a time? Now that would be interesting!
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I don't know about that, but he will substitute early, bring in 3 guys off the bench if he doesn't like the tone the starters are setting.
Last edited by ace 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Rhody74 wrote:Given the depth of the lineup and the interchangeability of some of the positions, I wonder if it's crossed Hurley's mind to have a full second squad, ie, substitute a full five players at a time rather than 1 or 2 at a time? Now that would be interesting!
Do it like hockey? Full shift change on the fly
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

ace wrote:
sf2010 wrote:Is that a start for every scholarship player during the trip? (Noting that Aaman isn't playing due to injury)
Did Jarelle get a start?
Doesn't look like it...seems like he's the only one. Not that the starting lineups mean anything, but it's interesting to note that, given that some posters on here had considered him to be the third "lock" other than Biruta and X.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Weak competition or not, they played three and won three.

Clearly a defensive struggle!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Like Duquesne did the season after the shooting incident. That was crazy. 5 minutes of crazy then a full 5-player sub over and over again.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Great job by the team to take care of business and get a taste for winning. Always nice to get game experience with positive outcomes, no matter the competition.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Reischel was due to start the second game and was 5 minutes late to the bus....non bueno!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

BAR comes through with the inside scoop!!
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

That's why he's BAR. 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
Il nostro uomo internazionale!!!!!!!!!!
"Our international man!!!!!!!!"
8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

bigappleram wrote:Reischel was due to start the second game and was 5 minutes late to the bus....non bueno!

Rulez iz rulez!!
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

At least Dan isn't Tom Coughlin where on time is 5 minutes late...
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Wow, this place looks beautiful!!
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

twisted3829 wrote:
Rhody74 wrote:Given the depth of the lineup and the interchangeability of some of the positions, I wonder if it's crossed Hurley's mind to have a full second squad, ie, substitute a full five players at a time rather than 1 or 2 at a time? Now that would be interesting!
Do it like hockey? Full shift change on the fly
At least in studies of sub patterns at the NBA level, you probably don't want to do this because there is normally a production penalty from coming in off the bench, vs. starting, suggesting that most guys need to "warm-up" while in game after sitting. If you rotate five guys in at a time, then all five are starting out cold, and the process repeats when you sub the original starters back in.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice trip guys !!!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

This was a great opportunity for the team. one with many new parts, to start practicing and playing months early. Its greatest benefit however may be the bonding that developed among all these new players. My desire is that it is like the Boston Celtics 2007 trip to Italy. That was the first opportunity for Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen to play alongside Paul Pierce and the other Celts. It was a great bonding experience for the team and started it off on a path that would ultimately culminate in the 2008 NBA Championship later that same season. I have high hopes that this European adventure will be the beginning of a great year for Rhody hoops. Let the good times start.
0 x
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

Couple things that stand out to me.
37 points after the break tells me the coaches know how to make adjustments.
112 points! I don't care who they are playing its a road game and they put up 112. Coach said they were going to play a different style this year. Looks like he is pulling it off. Maybe gets some a$$'s in the seats for the early season cupcakes. With us putting up points like that.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

It looks like Dan has gotten into Hare's head and convinced him that he's a good player. I can see a big turn around year for him.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Hare will no doubt be more productive against certain types of teams. I'd love to know how many of his field goals were dunks!
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Is there a box score?
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

they said last night there were major discrepancies between theirs and the one from the Italian league and the team is currently flying back so there could be some delay once they get back to Rhode Island
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

My guess Hare will never see that point total again this year .... of course, we have other options, so he won't need to.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!