2/3 | Duquesne | 12:30PM (USA)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: 2/3 | Duquesne | 12:30PM (USA)

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 months ago
RI_Bred wrote: 2 months ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 months ago Packed house.

Multiple school and team groups there today.

National TV.

Get blown out.

If you want people to come to games, cannot have a day like today.
I said to my wife as we were leaving, we won't see a crowd like this again this year.

The players coming out for shoot around before the second half - their body language was just awful. I really am starting to not like Kortwright at the point. Sluggish and apathetic. I know we don't have much of a choice right now. Maybe it's just me but the lack of desire out there is palpable in real time. Coaches trying to coach the players up during timeouts or on the bench and it just looks like the players could not care less.

Also thought Miller again did not coach well - the plays coming out of timeouts were questionable at best. I can't imagine he has lost his ability to call plays and coach, but maybe he can't get the emotional buy-in from these guys. Kind of at a loss for words.
I think Luis is banged up. He looks much slower out there ever since that knee and ankle injury. A fast defensive guard like Hammond will be a breath of fresh air next season, although he'll have issues with the stronger guards.

Archie says all the right things and clearly understands the game incredibly well. The way he talks about opponents and our team is always impressive. But I'm getting sick and tired of his "I've never coached a team that's this bad defensively". You built this team! How do you not recruit one perimeter defender on this team? I don't care if the dude is terrible on the offensive end sometimes you need someone to slow down the other teams best player like Dae Dae.. For example, the Lakers have a player in Jarred Vanderbilt who's a very weak offensive player, but he prevents guys like Luka, Steph, and Kawhi from going off... This team has no defensive players and the worst defenders in the league and country.

Archie lost our best defender in Ish. Archie lost a backup guard in Bassy, who is averaging close to 20 a game and replaced him with Always Wright, who looks like a D2 player. Archie and the staff are supposed to develop these players. Archie and the staff are supposed to find the best way to mask our weak defense. I'm happy he's added some zone defense and a very soft full-court press today, but we are deep into the season. We should have done these things during the preseason so we had time to gain chemistry and get better. Instead, like a month ago, Archie tells us, "We don't press here".. That's a David Cox type of answer. Embarrassing..

Archie has had some fantastic moments this year, and when our team was at its best, we looked like a top-4 A10 team. But we seem to be regressing again. I don't care what year you're in. If you have a good coach, your players and team should improve. People have mentioned that Dan didn't have a strong year 2.. Don't forget that in Dan's second year, we went 3-1 in the final four A10 games, and in many of the games before, we played teams close for the most part. Also, Dan played in a much, much tougher A10. The A10 had 6 bids that year! Imagine this team playing against those teams? We may have only won 2-3 games..

This sucks..
I'm happy for Thomas, but he wouldn't make a difference on this team. He's a poor defender and someone who scores by taking a ton of shots. What he's doing in the America East wouldn't be happening on this team in the A10. Thomas didn't look any better last year than Wright did this year and he did exactly what he should have done and dropped down.

Archie's quote was "we don't press here, but if things don't get better we're probably going to have to try new things." If you want to say he waited too long to try new things defensively I won't argue, but people using a quarter of a quote as some kind of statement is stupid as hell
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

These players have no heart

No fight

I am ready to keep the ones worth keeping and getting rid of others

no identity with this team
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

So, do most of these guys hate playing defense? Or do they just hate playing Archie's defense?
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Was that a 1-2-2 three quarters trap we used today new ? I actually liked it
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

The problem is with the DH rebuild, his first two teams played defense like savage dogs but didn't have offense. Year 3, he got the offense and they still played defense like savage dogs which made them winners. With Archie, his teams have the offense but play zero defense. What does it take for Archie to have a winner?
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Billyboy, if either or both are true, then get rid of them.

What do we have to lose?

Can't get much worse.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

theblueram wrote: 2 months ago The problem is with the DH rebuild, his first two teams played defense like savage dogs but didn't have offense. Year 3, he got the offense and they still played defense like savage dogs which made them winners. With Archie, his teams have the offense but play zero defense. What does it take for Archie to have a winner?
Watch his presser...I can't see how what he's saying, does anything to bring out the savage dog in his players.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 months ago
theblueram wrote: 2 months ago The problem is with the DH rebuild, his first two teams played defense like savage dogs but didn't have offense. Year 3, he got the offense and they still played defense like savage dogs which made them winners. With Archie, his teams have the offense but play zero defense. What does it take for Archie to have a winner?
Watch his presser...I can't see how what he's saying, does anything to bring out the savage dog in his players.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Did this at UConn too. Defensive keeps you in the game even if your offense is non-existent. Doesn't work both ways though.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 months ago

I said to my wife as we were leaving, we won't see a crowd like this again this year.

The players coming out for shoot around before the second half - their body language was just awful. I really am starting to not like Kortwright at the point. Sluggish and apathetic. I know we don't have much of a choice right now. Maybe it's just me but the lack of desire out there is palpable in real time. Coaches trying to coach the players up during timeouts or on the bench and it just looks like the players could not care less.

Also thought Miller again did not coach well - the plays coming out of timeouts were questionable at best. I can't imagine he has lost his ability to call plays and coach, but maybe he can't get the emotional buy-in from these guys. Kind of at a loss for words.
I think Luis is banged up. He looks much slower out there ever since that knee and ankle injury. A fast defensive guard like Hammond will be a breath of fresh air next season, although he'll have issues with the stronger guards.

Archie says all the right things and clearly understands the game incredibly well. The way he talks about opponents and our team is always impressive. But I'm getting sick and tired of his "I've never coached a team that's this bad defensively". You built this team! How do you not recruit one perimeter defender on this team? I don't care if the dude is terrible on the offensive end sometimes you need someone to slow down the other teams best player like Dae Dae.. For example, the Lakers have a player in Jarred Vanderbilt who's a very weak offensive player, but he prevents guys like Luka, Steph, and Kawhi from going off... This team has no defensive players and the worst defenders in the league and country.

Archie lost our best defender in Ish. Archie lost a backup guard in Bassy, who is averaging close to 20 a game and replaced him with Always Wright, who looks like a D2 player. Archie and the staff are supposed to develop these players. Archie and the staff are supposed to find the best way to mask our weak defense. I'm happy he's added some zone defense and a very soft full-court press today, but we are deep into the season. We should have done these things during the preseason so we had time to gain chemistry and get better. Instead, like a month ago, Archie tells us, "We don't press here".. That's a David Cox type of answer. Embarrassing..

Archie has had some fantastic moments this year, and when our team was at its best, we looked like a top-4 A10 team. But we seem to be regressing again. I don't care what year you're in. If you have a good coach, your players and team should improve. People have mentioned that Dan didn't have a strong year 2.. Don't forget that in Dan's second year, we went 3-1 in the final four A10 games, and in many of the games before, we played teams close for the most part. Also, Dan played in a much, much tougher A10. The A10 had 6 bids that year! Imagine this team playing against those teams? We may have only won 2-3 games..

This sucks..
I'm happy for Thomas, but he wouldn't make a difference on this team. He's a poor defender and someone who scores by taking a ton of shots. What he's doing in the America East wouldn't be happening on this team in the A10. Thomas didn't look any better last year than Wright did this year and he did exactly what he should have done and dropped down.

Archie's quote was "we don't press here, but if things don't get better we're probably going to have to try new things." If you want to say he waited too long to try new things defensively I won't argue, but people using a quarter of a quote as some kind of statement is stupid as hell
Thomas has gotten much better. Just like Ish when he got better from sophomore year to junior year. Just like hundreds of other players that improve when they get older and gain experience. Bassy goes to the line about 6 times a game and shoots 77%. That would be second on the team behind Weston. A guard that is great at drawing fouls and hitting them wouldn't help this team?... Some of you refuse to admit that Bassy would be a better backup guard... Regardless, if you're going to let him walk, then you need to recruit someone better than him.. Last year, Bassy was absolutely bashed by most people, and he averaged 6 and 3 ast. Ways averages 2 pts 2 assists. He's worse than Bassy last year, and it's not even a question... He's much worse than Bassy this year.

As for the pressing quote, you're missing my point. My issue with his comment was that he only considered practicing a full-court press because we kept losing, and there were a few games where it made no sense that we didn't pressure late in the second half, and someone asked him about it. My point is this is something we should have already practiced and prepared for. Most college basketball teams have to do a full-court press at some point in their season to try to pick up the pace and cause turnovers if they are losing. Even the announcer on USA was confused about why we didn't keep pressing late.
Last edited by steveystuds06 2 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I watched the presser same old same ole , let’s give the other team credit , I can’t get this team to play defense they way I want to

9 games left I’m now thinking 3-6 to finish 13-18 not good enough in year 2 !
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

If Archie can't get his players to think defense first, especially defending their home court, this is going to be a long slog. This isn't the NBA. And so far as has been said every game, the defense just is absolutely terrible.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

reef wrote: 2 months ago
Yeah I watched the presser same old same ole , let’s give the other team credit , I can’t get this team to play defense they way I want to

With how we looked today, I don't know if we win more than 2. Do you think we can win another game on the road? I guess maybe at Lasalle, but we barely snuck by them at home. I think Loyola St Louis and George Mason at home are coin flips. Maybe we go 2-1, but I could see us go 1-2. I agree Reef a 3-6 finish seems very likely at this point..

at Gw - L
at Umass- L
Loyola - W
Richmond - L
at Lasalle - L
at VCU - L
St Louis - W
G Mason - L
At Fordham - L
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Same old same old seems to involve dumping on his own players on the regular...

"difficult group to reach"
"...low in mental toughness"
"some guys don't have that DNA, that competitive spirit"
2 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 months ago Ok, call me Charmin...I watched Archie's presser, and have watched most of them...fwiw, I don't think I'd want to play for the guy
Saw that. Kinda risky to throw a whole team under the bus. Maybe last years crew that was inherited, but Miller recruited this bunch. Dangerous strategy methinks.

If I was Thorr and/or Parlange I’d have some concerns. Inability to learn or physically play the packline vs dawging it… It’s a fine line but coach seems to have crossed it.

Curious what other KB posters think after seeing the comments.
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

hrstrat57 wrote: 2 months ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 months ago Ok, call me Charmin...I watched Archie's presser, and have watched most of them...fwiw, I don't think I'd want to play for the guy
Saw that. Kinda risky to throw a whole team under the bus. Maybe last years crew that was inherited, but Miller recruited this bunch. Dangerous strategy methinks.

If I was Thorr and/or Parlange I’d have some concerns. Inability to learn or physically play the packline vs dawging it… It’s a fine line but coach seems to have crossed it.

If Archie is trying to motivate his players by calling them out publicly, that could really backfire on him. Especially if some or most of them are innately soft. Who knows what goes on behind closed doors, but he better be calling them out in private if he's doing it in public too. It's a slippery slope.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Screw it, throw them under the bus! See if they pop the tires and hulk toss that bitch into the Narragansett bay!
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

If Archie is trying to motivate his players by calling them out publicly, that could really backfire on him. Especially if some or most of them are innately soft. Who knows what goes on behind closed doors, but he better be calling them out in private if he's doing it in public too. It's a slippery slope.
If some/most are innately soft they shouldn't be playing in the A10.
1 x
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

When asked if he thinks he can get things turned around: “It’s hard to change people.” How much is this guy getting paid?
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Let’s just say, he appears, speaks and behaves in a way you could say he is not a players coach. In the post Covid, portal driven environment coaching techniques that are flexible are needed. I don’t see that. Feels like he continues to rely on his past successes at Dayton as the reason why this group and the next ones should be better caused it worked at Dayton, not Indiana though. I have felt and stated the Archie bloom is off the rose. I have suggested before leaders have to adapt, pivot to alternatives once their expected outcomes are not achieved. Don’t see that here.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Not Mike Powell wrote: 2 months ago

When asked if he thinks he can get things turned around: “It’s hard to change people.” How much is this guy getting paid?
I can't imagine saying those kinds of things about a group of people that I pulled together to do anything, not just play basketball - and then expect things to get better. He can't possibly think that's helpful...can he? I mean, it's almost like he thinks he's saying stuff about them and doesn't think they'll hear it...
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 2 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 months ago
TruePoint wrote: 2 months ago

I mean….this product stinks to watch. There’s no denying that, or sugarcoating it. Still, we are clearly better than last year in just about every conceivable way. Any hope we had of arriving ahead of schedule I think can be forgotten at this point, but I don’t think we are behind schedule either. For as long as we continue to move in the right direction, however modestly, I don’t think we can say the sky is falling. Next year will be an important year - we cannot backslide from here, we have to get better and at some point hope something clicks and we make a leap.
TP, I think we certainly are better offensively than last year. However, I don’t see it on D. That is my Birds Eye view.

But, I haven’t done a deep dive in our D analytics last year versus this year nor have I studied tape on both.

I think there is sufficient length and athleticism currently to be better than they are. I think the problem on D is between the ears for this team.
I'd like to suggest you check out last year's d by binge-watching all those games in a single weekend to compare to this year.
And, if you don't fall into a coma, I will ship you (shipping on me even) a David Cox bobblehead. :lol:
A DC bobble head ? Hmmmm….tempting. Throw in some RC balloons and I might do it. :lol:
Last edited by Jdrums#3 2 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

This sucks..

Bassy left because all that Archie could offer him was an off the bench role and Bassy wanted a starting role, so he left
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Gonna be a long week around these parts.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

TP, I think we certainly are better offensively than last year. However, I don’t see it on D. That is my Birds Eye view.

But, I haven’t done a deep dive in our D analytics last year versus this year nor have I studied tape on both.

I think there is sufficient length and athleticism currently to be better than they are. I think the problem on D is between the ears for this team.
I'd like to suggest you check out last year's d by binge-watching all those games in a single weekend to compare to this year.
And, if you don't fall into a coma, I will ship you (shipping on me even) a David Cox bobblehead. :lol:
A DC bobble head ? Hmmmm….tempting. Throw in some RC balloons and I might do it. :lol:
Unfortunately, as you probably read here earlier, they cheaped out on the ballons bleu today. How about...TWO DC bobbleheads?
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 months ago I was last at the RC for the UMASS game. Where did that team go?
Honestly, I think teams weren't aware of David Green. They watched a lot of game tapes of us without him. Once teams started to double him and focus on him more, we went back to looking like a poorly coached bottom-tier A10 team. Green is still very good, but teams know how to defend us now. We also shot out our minds all game against Umass. Guys were hitting 3s with Umass right in their faces. That's never going to last. And this idea that we can make a massive jump next year. How? Are we going to land a couple of All A10 level players? Because if you bring back most of this roster, we will improve but we will still be increidbly far away from an NCAA bid and likely not that close to an NIT bid.

Let's see if we can make a push and come back. Getting it back to 10 was step one but we will need to defend if we have any chance. Let's pull another Yale and pull it out.
That raises a pretty good question. Let's say all the guys come back and have "another year of experience"
...and this Duquesne team was frozen in a time warp for a year, so they have the exact same team/experience level they did today.
Do we think that this Rhody team, with a year of development, beats the frozen in time Duquesne team we saw today?
Like a Rhody version of the show Fringe or Twighlight Zone episode.

I’d watch. 👍🏼
Last edited by Jdrums#3 2 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 months ago I see 8 players I would keep and that's being generous. Plus 2 frosh. 3 transfers.
I say 4 transfers give or take one that sees dollar signs and chases, but other than that I 100% agree
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Honestly, I think teams weren't aware of David Green. They watched a lot of game tapes of us without him. Once teams started to double him and focus on him more, we went back to looking like a poorly coached bottom-tier A10 team. Green is still very good, but teams know how to defend us now. We also shot out our minds all game against Umass. Guys were hitting 3s with Umass right in their faces. That's never going to last. And this idea that we can make a massive jump next year. How? Are we going to land a couple of All A10 level players? Because if you bring back most of this roster, we will improve but we will still be increidbly far away from an NCAA bid and likely not that close to an NIT bid.

Let's see if we can make a push and come back. Getting it back to 10 was step one but we will need to defend if we have any chance. Let's pull another Yale and pull it out.
That raises a pretty good question. Let's say all the guys come back and have "another year of experience"
...and this Duquesne team was frozen in a time warp for a year, so they have the exact same team/experience level they did today.
Do we think that this Rhody team, with a year of development, beats the frozen in time Duquesne team we saw today?
Like a Rhody version of the show Fringe ?

I’d watch. 👍🏼
But...if this team had one more year of experience, I'm not sure they'd be better...
Sad question is...if everything goes right and the best stay and the rest leave, will Rhody be good enough next year to beat teams the level of this year's Duq team?
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 months ago Yeah, their 2 guards are by far their 2 leading scorers, averaging 17 and 15 or something like that. None of their bigs average double figures. Why are our guards dropping off and helping in the post? I'll take my chances with their bigs scoring one on one rather than their guards taking wide open threes.
They're not 'helping in the post.' It kinda looks like that, but they're actually doin' the packy, where you only guard the yellow swath. So, if a guy is out there from just below the foul line extended and out, beyond the arc, you don't guard him, you retreat to the yellow. It's what you do.

packy.JPG
I wonder if there is a pack zig zag line defense or a pack semi-circle line defense we can try ? Might be worth a shot.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

If players aren't buying in, as Archie says, you have to send them packing. But you can't keep turning over the roster like this every year. Who's to say the transfers he brings in to replace the guys who aren't buying in, will buy in themselves? I don't know what the answer is, but this press conference and the current situation is very disturbing.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

The yellow swarth defense? You may have coined a new one, keep refining it and camps/clinics could be in your future!
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Agree with a lot of observations here about Archie.

A lot of questions and not many answers.

Yup he recruited this bunch and has clearly whiffed on most of them.

His comments reveal someone who is clearly lost.
0 x
Maine66
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Maine66 »

Back home in Maine after a delightful day in Kingston ( basketball excepted ). Went with my daughter via bus and Amtrak. Very stress free. Transportation to and from the station is quite good with either bus or uber. Got a chance to walk the campus and visit the bookstore. I was a guest in the President's suite and had a great time speaking with him and several vice presidents and deans, After being away except for day visits, 58 years it is nice to remain connected. I felt bad that we wasted a nice crowd, beautiful venue and a national TV audience with the final result. I really thought that with a new coach that we would begin to approach the excitement of the Hurley era. I do think that NIL's and the transfer portal are creating a wild west situation that is hurting the mid major's like URI. That all excepted it is so nice to return to a place where I spent some of the best four years of my life.
8 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 months ago If players aren't buying in, as Archie says, you have to send them packing. But you can't keep turning over the roster like this every year. Who's to say the transfers he brings in to replace the guys who aren't buying in, will buy in themselves? I don't know what the answer is, but this press conference and the current situation is very disturbing.
I along with probably everyone else who listened to the presser feel the same way, it was very disturbing to hear that from our HC.

I was disappointed with this loss, especially with how we lost.

Losing certainly doesn't make for a happy and confident team, I guess that can change rather quickly though, if they can string together a few wins.

In any case I will be curious to see how our players react after today and practice prior to the GW game.
Not a lot of time to figure it out before traveling to DC for Tuesday's game.
1 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 months ago If players aren't buying in, as Archie says, you have to send them packing. But you can't keep turning over the roster like this every year. Who's to say the transfers he brings in to replace the guys who aren't buying in, will buy in themselves? I don't know what the answer is, but this press conference and the current situation is very disturbing.
If Archie can't recruit talented players that will accept what he and his coaching staff have to offer then he needs to get out of coaching. WTF have they been doing during the recruiting process? How about getting clued in before you offer a scholarship? His pressers are not helping anything.
1 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

Just terrible today. Really hard to watch.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

section(105) wrote: 2 months ago Let’s just say, he appears, speaks and behaves in a way you could say he is not a players coach. In the post Covid, portal driven environment coaching techniques that are flexible are needed. I don’t see that. Feels like he continues to rely on his past successes at Dayton as the reason why this group and the next ones should be better caused it worked at Dayton, not Indiana though. I have felt and stated the Archie bloom is off the rose. I have suggested before leaders have to adapt, pivot to alternatives once their expected outcomes are not achieved. Don’t see that here.
Compelling post, 105.

I am a proponent of an adapt and overcome mindset. I am having doubts Archie is willing to - if it is necessary - or can.

I am not at the point of giving up on him but I am extremely frustrated and becoming impatient with our trek to return to relevancy and NCAAT’s because I am not healthy enough to wait years short of the good Lord intervening.

C’mon Archie! Wake the heck up!
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 2 months ago The yellow swath defense? You may have coined a new one, keep refining it and camps/clinics could be in your future!
Yeah, unfortunately, it doesn't appear to evolve/change, and it's not that popular, or profitable. ;)
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Channeling BM for a Trust in Arch post. Much needed...thanks.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Yes , once again the defense was awful , but you do have too give credit to Duquesne as well . IMO the players were very frustrated because duquesne
basically capitalized on every mistake and every open look from three . they had a great game and the game got away from URi similarly to the
games against Dayton and ST. Bonaventure . While Duquesne was hitting every three URI ras forcing up threes and then missing open threes and
throwing up prayers going to the hoop . It was kind of the UMASS game in reverse with URI playing the part of UMASS . That game URI couldn't miss .
Today they couldn't take advantage early on when Duquesne was turning the ball over and missing their shots . It looks like the players have a real confidence problem . When things go right which isn't often , then they look fine . the lack of overall leadership on the court I think has a lot to do with it . they don't have Senior leadership . they all look to David Green even though he is not really that experienced either . We have to remember that
at times URI has three freshmen on the court . they have shown some talent and we have no choice except to be patient . the fan reaction on here
about Archie reminds me so much of the reaction toward Dan Hurley in his first few seasons before their 9 game winning streak preceded by a 5 game losing streak which then endd up in the NCAA Tournament and a first game victory . I believe Archie will finally get it fixed over the next couple of seasons . Don't give up on him yet .
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Dino611 wrote: 2 months ago

This sucks..

Bassy left because all that Archie could offer him was an off the bench role and Bassy wanted a starting role, so he left
Sounds very reasonable , definitely makes sense for Bassy to find a home after hearing his situation from Arch
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 2 months ago Let’s just say, he appears, speaks and behaves in a way you could say he is not a players coach. In the post Covid, portal driven environment coaching techniques that are flexible are needed. I don’t see that. Feels like he continues to rely on his past successes at Dayton as the reason why this group and the next ones should be better caused it worked at Dayton, not Indiana though. I have felt and stated the Archie bloom is off the rose. I have suggested before leaders have to adapt, pivot to alternatives once their expected outcomes are not achieved. Don’t see that here.
Compelling post, 105.

I am a proponent of an adapt and overcome mindset. I am having doubts Archie is willing to - if it is necessary - or can.

I am not at the point of giving up on him but I am extremely frustrated and becoming impatient with our trek to return to relevancy and NCAAT’s because I am not healthy enough to wait years short of the good Lord intervening.

C’mon Archie! Wake the heck up!
I know from which you speak.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Our defensive "strategy" consists of letting our opponents shoot wide open threes all game and hope they miss.

The one game we won in the last six that strategy worked. The LaSalle game. Barely.

Someone said we might win 2 more games the rest of the way. I agree.

That would be 12 wins, 3 more than last year.

What an improvement!
1 x
Rammgr
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rammgr »

Just keep in mind Jack Kraft’s year 2 team only won 5 games. And there was no NIL and portal back then. It’s frustrating but hopefully Archie can turn it around.
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

spookydog wrote: 2 months ago During the Dukes three game winning streak, Frank Dambrot has changed his strategy a bit by having some of his best players start the game on the bench. He considers garbage time not the end of a blowout wins or loses, but the first four minutes of the game. He likes having the ability to bring some pop off the bench. He has had Dae Dae Grant, David Dixon, & Fousseyni Drame all start the game on the bench but get starter’s minutes. This is something to keep in mind in case you are betting URI race to 10 or race to 15 in the first half.
Although Grant did end up starting, I hope people at least followed my advice in the game preview by betting URI race to 10 &/or race to 15. Both were plus money & both hit. It was the one bright side of the game.
1 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

And Archie also said it's not a talent problem. The talent is there to do what he tells them, but they just won't do it (paraphrasing). He also said they're not mentally tough. I'd love to sit it on a practice session. When Archie is tough on a player and really gets on him, does that player take his advice and work harder to get it right? Does the player hang his head and sulk? Does the player just tune him out, walk away and think, eff you? I really wonder. That would tell me a lot. Watch when a player comes out of a game. Archie often stops them on their way to their seat or goes to their seat to talk to them. When Archie is in their face, do any of them nod their yes as to say, yes coach, you're right. I don't see it. Some of them put their head down. Some put their hands up. Some continue walking shaking their head. I'm guessing he's even much tougher on them during practice than he is on the sideline during a game. I'd love to hear from anyone here who sits behind the bench and get their opinion on what they see, or better yet, what they hear.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

That is exactly what I see. Heads, eyes to the floor, sometimes not looking, House, at Archie at all. Luis seems to take it all in looking at Archie. The shaking of the shaking of the head is mostly Weston. There is no defiant look or talk back disagreement, like Brayon. Players mostly seem to take it in, sit down and watch.Can’t hear much.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 months ago Our defensive "strategy" consists of letting our opponents shoot wide open threes all game and hope they miss.

The one game we won in the last six that strategy worked. The LaSalle game. Barely.

What an improvement!
Use a little more of that extended full court trap we used when down a lot yesterday , it makes them take some time off the shot clock @ the least
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 months ago Our defensive "strategy" consists of letting our opponents shoot wide open threes all game and hope they miss.

What an improvement!
Technically 2 wins since the JW game doesn't really count...

We currently have 9 D1 wins in February 🤮
0 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 months ago

What an improvement!
Technically 2 wins since the JW game doesn't really count...

We currently have 9 D1 wins in February 🤮
Yeah, I don't see how this season is that much of an improvement over last. No fucking way I'm counting the JWU game :lol:
0 x