2/3 | Duquesne | 12:30PM (USA)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

2/3 | Duquesne | 12:30PM (USA)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs Duquesne University
Ryan Center, Kingston, RI
Saturday, February 3, 2024
12:30PM

Media
TV: USA
Online: USA
Radio: Tune In Radio
App: Varsity Network
Live Stats: Stat Broadcast

Previews
Duquesne’s Fan Forum

Rhode Island’s 4 game losing streak is no more. Thanks to some piss poor free throw from the Explorers Wednesday night, the Rams were able to secure the victory & will now be looking for back-to-back wins this weekend as they host the Duquesne Dukes. Although Duquesne was picked 4th in the preseason A10 polls, they struggled out of the gate. They opened conference play with 5 straight losses but have won their last 2, both home games against the Bonnies & Fordham.

Coach Keith Dambrot is in his 7th season at Duquesne, & the start of 2024 has been tough on & off the court him. Along with the losses to start conference play, he has had to deal with off the court difficulties as his wife of 34 years had breast cancer surgery on Thursday February first. It is most likely that Dambrot will not be at the game Saturday afternoon so look for Associate Head Coach Dru Joyce III to lead the Dukes at the Ryan Center. Luckily for Joyce, the Dukes have their best player back after Dae Dae Grant missed three games last month due to a concussion. Grant, one of the best players in all the A10, is leading the team in scoring & someone you don’t want to foul at the end of a close game as he is automatic at the line shooting it at roughly 95% on the season. He also has the most made three pointers on the team as well. The Robin to Grant’s Batman for Duquesne is senior guard Jimmy Clark III. The Preseason All-Conference Second Team player is averaging 15.7 points per game. He has scored in double digits in every game but two this season. Clark is not only a great offensive player but also is on the A10 preseason All-Defensive Team who is averaging over 2 steals per game. Those two players are doing the yeoman’s work on the offensive end as Duquesne does not have anyone else averaging 7+ points per game. They do have 4 players averaging 6.6 to 6.9 points per game. Fousseyni Drame, who transferred from La Salle to Duquesne with his twin brother Hassan, is third on the team in scoring with 6.9 per game & is leading the team in rebounds with 5.6 per game as well as blocks with 35. Bigman David Dixon is also averaging 6.9 points while Georgia Southern transfer Andrei Savrasov is averaging 6.8 points per game. Savarasov did miss a few games of late, but did play sparingly in the team’s last game. Finally, is backup point guard Kareem Rozier who is averaging 6.6 points per game.

During the Dukes three game winning streak, Frank Dambrot has changed his strategy a bit by having some of his best players start the game on the bench. He considers garbage time not the end of a blowout wins or loses, but the first four minutes of the game. He likes having the ability to bring some pop off the bench. He has had Dae Dae Grant, David Dixon, & Fousseyni Drame all start the game on the bench but get starter’s minutes. This is something to keep in mind in case you are betting URI race to 10 or race to 15 in the first half.

As for the Rams, although they didn’t play their best game on Wednesday night, the did get the win. David Green was able to stay out of foul trouble last game & went for 20 & 5. Archie was not pleased with Fuchs’ play in the last game per the postgame press conference, hence he only played 10 minutes, so hopefully this lit a fire under Fuchs’ ass to get him going. Would be nice to get him going like the Fordham game when he went for 12 & 17.

The good news about this game on Saturday is that the Dukes probably won’t put up a 90 spot on us. They are not a terribly good shooting team, 42.6% from the floor & just 32% from deep. You all will be shocked to learn that Duquesne gets three more steals a game over Rhody. The Dukes have 3 players who average over a steal per game while the Rams have no one. Duquesne is second in the A10 with 12.75 fastbreak points so with URI prone to play sloppy & turn the ball over this could be problematic. The Rams have fallen to Duquesne in 3 of the last 5 & 4 of the last 7 games. The good news is that they have won the last 4 home contest against the Dukes. The Rams might be slight underdogs at home so they will need the fans to be into this game. This game was part of the 5-game package, so potentially a decent sized crowd, especially with a Saturday afternoon tipoff. Not so sure how the student turnout will be. No better way to nurse a hangover than have a little hair of the dog at the Ryan Center. I might have to pick against the Rams in a close one as my reverse jinx worked the last game. My prediction, Duquesne 71 – URI 69. Go Rhody!!

Opponent
Record:
12-8, 2-5 in the A10
20-13, 10-8 in the A10 (Last Season)

Rankings (URI):
NCAA NET: 99 (201)
RPI: 67 (144)
KenPom: 111 (194)
BPI: 107 (212)
Barttovik: 104 (177)

Leaders:
Points – Dae Dae Grant 17.5 (Sr., G)
Rebounds – Fousseyni Drame 5.6 (Sr., F)
Assists – Jimmy Clark III 3.6 (Sr., G) (2.8 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 36-29
H: 21-11, A: 14-16, N: 1-2
Most Recent Matchup: 12/31/22 72-61 L at Duquesne
Most Recent Win Streak: 1 – Duquesne
Match-up Predictor: 35.8% Chance of URI Winning
5 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2/3 | Duquesne | 12:30PM (USA)

Unread post by section(105) »

Team Rankings has URI with 35% to win
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Thank's Spooky.

This game won't be easy and expect it to be very close.

Duquesne has a current NET of #100.

Their record has been disappointing so far after being selected 4th in the pre-season A10.
They did have a nice win against Charleston (neutral court) and beat pretty good teams in Bradley and Santa Clara.
Also, a good victory against the Bonnies.
They have an excellent backcourt with Grant and Clark, plus have several interchangeable pieces up front.

Hopefully playing at home in the RC will help put us over the top in this game.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

They want everyone to wear Keaney:

KEANEY OUT
Let's paint The Ryan Center Keaney Blue for a nationally televised contest! Wear your favorite Keaney outfit!

Giveaway: Keaney Rally Towels for first 2000 fans
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 months ago They want everyone to wear Keaney:

KEANEY OUT
Let's paint The Ryan Center Keaney Blue for a nationally televised contest! Wear your favorite Keaney outfit!

Remember we used to have a White/Pink/Keaney out and they would put T shirts on the whole lower level?

This was even before Hurley.

Guess that's out of the budget now.
1 x
Go Rhody
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 months ago

KEANEY OUT

Remember we used to have a White/Pink/Keaney out and they would put T shirts on the whole lower level?

Yeah, I have a handful of shirts (that definitely no longer fit) from those games in my drawer. Not providing shirts seems a bit minor leagues especially as they're set to raise the minimum donation level to the Alumni Lounge. We want to charge major league prices for minor league benefits.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

USA too! First nationally televised home game, so that means good quality cameras! Yay!

It's been a while since it took this long to have a televised home game.

Let's get to 5-4!
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

KEANEY OUT

I like this. It makes up for our dark dark dark blue floor graphics with the .02% Keaney blue splash.
2 x
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 months ago

KEANEY OUT

I like this. It makes up for our dark dark dark blue floor graphics with the .02% Keaney blue splash.
Lol it's like we've tried to use as little keaney as possible lately. Navy blue is BASIC and BORING
1 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 months ago USA too! First nationally televised home game, so that means good quality cameras! Yay!

Let's get to 5-4!
The PC game was on FS1 & the Dayton game was on USA. You could also count the Washington St game was on ESPNU.
0 x
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I'm at a dumb sales retreat for work, so I can't go. If anyone wants my two tickets let me know.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

spookydog wrote: 2 months ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 2 months ago USA too! First nationally televised home game, so that means good quality cameras! Yay!

Let's get to 5-4!
The PC game was on FS1 & the Dayton game was on USA. You could also count the Washington St game was on ESPNU.
None of these games were however at home in the Ryan Center. As PeterRamTime posted, this will be the first home game televised by an outlet other than the streaming ESPN+.
Last edited by RF1 2 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 months ago I'm at a dumb sales retreat for work, so I can't go. If anyone wants my two tickets let me know.
Nothing like a weekend sales "retreat" - suffered through a couple of those many moons ago. Luckily I'm the entire sales force for our company these days. My retreat will be in my garage this weekend, with beers LOL!

Feel for you man...!
2 x
Mobley was fouled.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

RF1 wrote: 2 months ago

Let's get to 5-4!
None of these games were however at home in the Ryan Center. As PeterRamTime posted, this will be the first home televised by an outlet other than the streaming ESPN+.
Oh yeah. He did say home game. Reading comprehension is not my strong suit apparently. Sorry
0 x
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

KEANEY OUT

Double the amount balloons to start 3/4!
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RF1 wrote: 2 months ago

Let's get to 5-4!
None of these games were however at home in the Ryan Center. As PeterRamTime posted, this will be the first home televised by an outlet other than the streaming ESPN+.
Yup I’m going to be watching and hoping we get that Dub !
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Its also time to win in the keaney's..
2 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 months ago I'm at a dumb sales retreat for work, so I can't go. If anyone wants my two tickets let me know.
Check your pm’s steveystuds06
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 months ago

KEANEY OUT

Yeah, I have a handful of shirts (that definitely no longer fit) from those games in my drawer. Not providing shirts seems a bit minor leagues especially as they're set to raise the minimum donation level to the Alumni Lounge. We want to charge major league prices for minor league benefits.
I cannot even tell you how many shirts that I have from games even from eons ago. It’s strange they don’t do it anymore? They’re all mostly good quality, too. Good for around the house. 🤷🏼‍♀️ bring ‘em back!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

6 common opponents to date:

Duquesne beat Charleston (Neutral) 90-72
URI lost at Charleston 85-70

Duquesne lost at UMASS 80-61
URI beat UMASS at home 89-77

Duquesne lost at home to Dayton 72-62
URI lost at Dayton 96-62

Duquesne lost at St Joseph’s 71-69
URI beat St Joseph’s at home 78-74

Duquesne beat St Bonaventure at home 54-50
URI lost at St Bonaventure 99-64

Duquesne beat Fordham at home 68-59
URI lost to Fordham at home 71-68

Advantage Duquesne vs Charleston, Dayton, St Bonaventure and Fordham

Advantage URI vs UMASS and St Joseph’s
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Keith Dambrot will be at the game Saturday at URI following his wife’s successful breast cancer surgery on Thursday.

http://websites.milonic.com/duquesnefan ... 3Fid%253D1
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Article from a week ago describing the situation with Keith Dambrot’s wife and the return last Saturday of Dae Dae Grant who is the leading scorer. Grant missed 3 games in concussion protocol and missed 14 days of practice

Grant is 4th Nationally in Free Throw Shooting at 94.8% hitting an amazing 92 of 97 FTs

The last time Duquesne won in Kingston was an 83-71 victory on Feb. 15, 2014 - 10 years ago
0 x
Maine66
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Maine66 »

Heading down to Kingston with my daughter today. Have invitation to President's box so good food and a couple of beers. Being lazy am taking bus to Boston and train to Kingston. Last year was a treat as I ran into one of my Cross Country team members and never watched much of the game. Looking forward to meeting the president as I think he's been a worthy successor to President Dooley. Go Rhody!
4 x
BattleTested
Abdul Fox

Unread post by BattleTested »

My buddy who works in ticketing said they are expecting close to 6000 people today!!! That's awesome!

Let's get there early to make sure the arena is packed when they go live on National TV! According to the email that just went out, the Rams take the floor at 12:19pm! These guys deserve to run out to a packed house
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Will be a near capacity crowd if the students show up.
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I got an email that said that.."near capacity crowd"...why?
Thought it was Rhody vs Duquesne...is there something else happening there today?

(Or, maybe it's the 2,000 rally towels...speaking of which...I could care less if I get a rally towel or not. Not a complaint, just a suggestion... if it's a nationally televised game and you're asking people to Keaney (for visual effect, I assume)...why not just give 'everybody' a towel...and a balloon!)
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 months ago I got an email that said that.."near capacity crowd"...why?
Thought it was Rhody vs Duquesne...is there something else happening there today?

(Or, maybe it's the 2,000 rally towels...speaking of which...I could care less if I get a rally towel or not. Not a complaint, just a suggestion... if it's a nationally televised game and you're asking people to Keaney (for visual effect, I assume)...why not just give 'everybody' a towel...and a balloon!)
Talked to a marketing person and said a bunch of elementary schools are going from around the state, $10 tickets.
0 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

KEANEY OUT

Season ticket holders used to get 'gifts' too. I know they were kind of lame like the Rhody bath towel, the Koozie court, the tumbler or the Archie bobble head, but this year.....nothing.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 months ago

KEANEY OUT

Season ticket holders used to get 'gifts' too. I know they were kind of lame like the Rhody bath towel, the Koozie court, the tumbler or the Archie bobble head, but this year.....nothing.
The “gift” this year was just a t shirt at the season ticket holder event.

But yea, we used to get multiple throughout the year. The gifts were pretty legit too.
0 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Near capacity? There are a couple of thousand seats left. And I remember someone saying that early Saturday afternoon games were too early for the students. My guess is 'near capacity' will be about 5000.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 months ago

The “gift” this year was just a t shirt at the season ticket holder event.

But yea, we used to get multiple throughout the year. The gifts were pretty legit too.
Oh yeah, forgot about that....and a beer.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 months ago I got an email that said that.."near capacity crowd"...why?

Talked to a marketing person and said a bunch of elementary schools are going from around the state, $10 tickets.
Wow, I thought we did NOT have a marketing person?
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

At this point I would say 5,000 is a very good crowd for URI. We suck don't forget.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

We win easily today - I say by 12
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 months ago We win easily today - I say by 12
Bold!
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Dambrot Update - will supposedly be at game
https://triblive.com/sports/after-wifes ... de-island/
0 x
Rhodyg
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodyg »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 months ago Will be a near capacity crowd if the students show up.
Beautiful Saturday in Narragansett… don’t expect more than 200-250 students in seats
0 x
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Yeah assuming the students will all be at the mist today
0 x
Clapton is God
TaketheShot
Jim Eitner

Unread post by TaketheShot »

No Rory in warm ups
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

ESPN + has the game starting at 2.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Hope they figure it out by tip off.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Correction, that’s the women’s game.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

We have forced 3 turnovers in two minutes let's go!
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

What a treat to watch my team on TV with professional announcers.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Solid start. Love the energy and pace so far!
1 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

On USA.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

11-7 Rhody. 1551

DG is that guy can score inside and out !
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Let’s goooooooo

We are shooting like 85% so far! Wow! On fire!
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Let’s build a cushion before the Dukes figure out how to take care of the ball.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Loving the hustle and energy so far! 👍🏼
0 x