Understanding the NIL

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: Understanding the NIL

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Ramulous wrote: 6 months ago The University can fund charters and amenities. They cannot fund NIL. I would rather give to NIL. Let the school fund sports not the donors. It is a new age.
Your support for the players in the programs is admirable
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 6 months ago
bigappleram wrote: 6 months ago Over the long term my guess is the fake NIL ie The Collectives goes away. There is profit sharing and legit name, likeness, image usages that are generating the revenue for athletes. That makes too much sense so then again maybe it won’t ever happen.
I agree... NIL is a charade farce. I have a NIL arrangement where I work, only they call it a salary. No one 'really' has any idea what's in them (and if they don't have to say...why would they?). Collecting Nil-dough from rich people to watch practice...to funnel money to 'some' (but likely not everyone that participated) isn't really use of name image likeness, is it?
Update: I guess in some places they are doing it for all players. See Utah
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

GoLocal article today which provides details of the Rhody NIL.
Nothing that’s new news really but I know a lot of people have felt it’s all a shroud of mystery. It’s not they just haven’t needed donors to this point. I assume you will see more promotion of it. Also the dollars raised so far (400k) is in line with other A10 programs.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

bigappleram wrote: 6 months ago GoLocal article today which provides details of the Rhody NIL.
Nothing that’s new news really but I know a lot of people have felt it’s all a shroud of mystery. It’s not they just haven’t needed donors to this point. I assume you will see more promotion of it. Also the dollars raised so far (400k) is in line with other A10 programs.
Link:
URI Men’s Basketball Hits $400,000 for NIL - Top Booster and Former CVS CEO Says More to Come
https://www.golocalprov.com/sports/uri- ... s-ceo-says

This GoLocalProv piece, unlike many others, is actually attributed to a named author - James Malachowski. He got his BS from URI (MBA from PC) and is the former Chairman/Managing Partner at RDW Group (working with Chris Disano). He previously served as the chair of the Public Utilities Commission.
Last edited by RF1 6 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 6 months ago
bigappleram wrote: 6 months ago GoLocal article today which provides details of the Rhody NIL.
Link:
URI Men’s Basketball Hits $400,000 for NIL - Top Booster and Former CVS CEO Says More to Come

This GoLocalProv piece, unlike many others, is actually attributed to a named author - James Malachowski. He got his BS from URI (MBA from PC) and is the former Chairman/Managing Partner at RDW Group. He previously served as the chair of the Public Utilities Commission.
So does this mean the MBB players get on average $400k per year?
Thus needs to be continually replaced annually and will grow higher as more and more donors are found?

WBB, Football, Baseball, Softball, Lacrosse Teams, etc all have their own NIL payout accounts?

Did we hire a General Manager yet?
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

And is the NIL money given to the player taxable? I assume so since earned from name, image, likeness?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote: 6 months ago And is the NIL money given to the player taxable? I assume so since earned from name, image, likeness?
Collectives are most likely not tax exempt and neither are donations to them. The income that "student" athletes get from NIL collectives is taxable.

IRS throws a chill into collectives paying college athletes while claiming nonprofit status
https://apnews.com/article/nil-athlete- ... 8196fd2c8c

Name, Image, and Likeness / Income Paid to Student-Athletes Is Taxable Income
https://www.taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov/ge ... neral/nil/
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

Utah Football Players get a new truck...check it out.
I do not know if its true!!!
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Clearly none of this is sustainable lol.
0 x
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 6 months ago Clearly none of this is sustainable lol.
disagree
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 6 months ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 6 months ago Clearly none of this is sustainable lol.
disagree
Not only is it sustainable it's going to continue to increase for the P5 Conferences especially. Arms race is still in early stages with NIL and pay for play.

Lesser conferences will be interesting to watch over the next few years.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

https://www.nj.com/setonhall/2023/10/se ... ay-me.html

When top Big east schools are having trouble, you know the bubble is gonna burst at some point.
0 x
GO RAMS
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

My sources indicate that the vehicles “given” to these football players are actually 5 month leases and all have navagational gps capabilities so that the auto dealership can track the vehicles 24/7.
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Providing that many college kid’s vehicles sounds like a liability nightmare.
1 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

The Crimson Collective, an organization dedicated to connecting Utes athletes to name, image and likeness deals emphasizing charity work, is leasing a Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn truck for each of the 85 scholarship players on the football team, per Yahoo Sports. The total value of the deal is more than $6 million.

The Crimson Collective, backed by donors, is paying for the leases of each truck, which has an MSRP of $43,970, on a six-month contract and is also covering the insurance. The contracts are expected to roll over based on a player's eligibility and membership on the team. If a player loses eligibility or transfers, they will lose their truck. The dealership that Crimson Collective worked with for the deal, Ken Garff Automotive Group, will take back the trucks as each lease is up and resell them.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Who is paying the taxes on these for the players? Since it's taxable, they have to pay federal and state taxes.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

rjv wrote: 6 months ago The Crimson Collective, an organization dedicated to connecting Utes athletes to name, image and likeness deals emphasizing charity work, is leasing a Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn truck for each of the 85 scholarship players on the football team, per Yahoo Sports. The total value of the deal is more than $6 million.

The Crimson Collective, backed by donors, is paying for the leases of each truck, which has an MSRP of $43,970, on a six-month contract and is also covering the insurance. The contracts are expected to roll over based on a player's eligibility and membership on the team. If a player loses eligibility or transfers, they will lose their truck. The dealership that Crimson Collective worked with for the deal, Ken Garff Automotive Group, will take back the trucks as each lease is up and resell them.
That is ridiculous
0 x
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

The Utes truck deal represents a huge liability for sure, regardless if just leases.
So, if they can be tracked, I assume whoever's tracking has the ability to just call or onstar-like message the car?
I want that job, tracking 85 college kids with trucks...then, anytime one of the trucks started heading someplace where it shouldn't be...night club, dispensary, etc., I would just blast this into the speakers of the rogue truck:

1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 6 months ago
RF1 wrote: 6 months ago
Link:

This GoLocalProv piece, unlike many others, is actually attributed to a named author - James Malachowski. He got his BS from URI (MBA from PC) and is the former Chairman/Managing Partner at RDW Group. He previously served as the chair of the Public Utilities Commission.
So does this mean the MBB players get on average $400k per year?
Thus needs to be continually replaced annually and will grow higher as more and more donors are found?

WBB, Football, Baseball, Softball, Lacrosse Teams, etc all have their own NIL payout accounts?

Did we hire a General Manager yet?
Nope, I don't think so, but according to this ESPN article, FSU football has: https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ball-again

"Why has Florida State done so well in the transfer portal? Seminoles general manager Darrick Yray said they evaluate everything"
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Loyola Marymount to drop 6 sports due to NIL

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/loyola-mar ... 40398.html
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

That seems kind of suspect to blame it on NIL. The schools don't even pay the NIL money. Sounds like they were looking for something else to blame their decision on to try and take the heat off of themselves. And it'll probably work.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote: 3 months ago That seems kind of suspect to blame it on NIL. The schools don't even pay the NIL money. Sounds like they were looking for something else to blame their decision on to try and take the heat off of themselves. And it'll probably work.
Ya! Plus...the NCAA says it can't be used as an inducement for recruiting anyway
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 months ago
adam914 wrote: 3 months ago That seems kind of suspect to blame it on NIL. The schools don't even pay the NIL money. Sounds like they were looking for something else to blame their decision on to try and take the heat off of themselves. And it'll probably work.
Ya! Plus...the NCAA says it can't be used as an inducement for recruiting anyway
Or it’s the canary in the coal mine?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Whether it be $30,000 annually per athlete, or 20,000, $10,000 some schools can’t/won’t handle then cut some sports?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 3 months ago Whether it be $30,000 annually per athlete, or 20,000, $10,000 some schools can’t/won’t handle then cut some sports?
Supposedly:
- schools themselves don't pay the NILdough
- NILdough can't be used for recruiting leverage

Therefore, NIL shouldn't have any impact on competitiveness? Right?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

You gotta do what you gotta do
Its the Wild West
Going to even wilder with every player being a free agent at the end of this season with no sit out requirement
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

I think schools NIL arms inability to raise the higher levels to result in fewer lesser sports.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 3 months ago You gotta do what you gotta do
Its the Wild West
Going to even wilder with every player being a free agent at the end of this season with no sit out requirement
LOL, yep...every single player gonna be a free agent at the end of every year, but hey, "if you don't realize that it takes 3-4 years to rebuild, I don't know what to tell you." :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ETA...there's actually the possibility/likelihood of more player movement (and opportunity to improve the team) in college than there is in the NBA. But, you don't see pro teams giving it "3 or 4 years" for a rebuild, even with the more restricted player movement. No one has an appetite for a 3-4 year rebuild on anything these days...
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 3 months ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 3 months ago I think schools NIL arms inability to raise the higher levels to result in fewer lesser sports.
huh?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

The NIL fund raising groups,not the school budget. Example, is the Rhode To Excellence gonna be able to generate that kinda doh?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 3 months ago The NIL fund raising groups,not the school budget. Example, is the Rhode To Excellence gonna be able to generate that kinda doh?
I'm not following what that has to do with the "lesser sports." If Rhode to Excellence were to be bankrupt tomorrow, what effect does that have on a school's ability to fund a bowling/swimming/ping pong/or bocce team? I don't see it. Without NIL, you're not going to get the best athletes obviously, but the cost of the sport to the school is still the same?
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Does the NIL distribution go all all athletes?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 3 months ago Does the NIL distribution go all all athletes?
I believe it goes to whoever runs the NIL money pot wants it to go to, doesn't it? Never heard that it was a team or program thing...pretty sure it's individual, between the NIL treasurer and the individual player. I'm guessing there's some guys on Rhody's team (every team?) getting NIL money and some not?
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

I believe it goes to whoever runs the NIL money pot wants it to go to, doesn't it? Never heard that it was a team or program thing...pretty sure it's individual, between the NIL treasurer and the individual player. I'm guessing there's some guys on Rhody's team (every team?) getting NIL money and some not?

Sounds way better than my half baked notion.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Yea, collectives go to whoever it wants.

Not every athlete at Rhody is getting NIL money, nor does every athlete deserve NIL money.
3 x
Go Rhody
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Another twist to the NIL saga. I never heard of Campus Ink before this article. Interesting that if Campus Ink signs a contract with a school all their athletes can have shot at making money. "When Campus Ink adds a school, each athlete — from football to rowing — can sign a contract to sell merchandise through the school’s NIL Store. Because every NIL item is made-to-order, Campus Ink doesn’t lose any money by offering shirts for a third-string linebacker or backup soccer goalie." And the Campus Ink revenue payout to the athlete -averaging about 20% - is higher than what Adidas, Nike, Under Armour offer. Obviously, the bigger the school and the bigger the athlete's reputation will dictate the biggest revenue payout. It will be interesting to see how the competition responds to Campus Ink actions.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... s-ink-nil/
2 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

A new development which could lead to open bidding on high-school players:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/101 ... =editorial

The penultimate graf of this story is the land mine:
The lawsuit by Skrmetti aims to reduce restrictions on the process by which recruits negotiate NIL deals and communicate with schools regarding NIL opportunities prior to enrolling or signing a letter of intent.
In other words, they're seeking to erase all the rules.
Last edited by Rhode_Island_Red 2 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

It's silly to say, yes, you will receive NIL money if you play here, but no one can tell you how much, else you might leverage that for a better deal (you know, the way the rest of the world approaches financial decisions every day)
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Sure, players should get a piece of their jersey sales. But the deals need to be structured on performance.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 months ago A new development which could lead to open bidding on high-school players:

The lawsuit by Skrmetti aims to reduce restrictions on the process by which recruits negotiate NIL deals and communicate with schools regarding NIL opportunities prior to enrolling or signing a letter of intent.
Interesting, Red. Thanks for posting.

Seems like we are going from the Wild West to the Wilder West.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 months ago
Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 months ago A new development which could lead to open bidding on high-school players:

Interesting, Red. Thanks for posting.

Seems like we are going from the Wild West to the Wilder West.
The only rules right now seem to be dumb ones:
- Rule #1 OK to pay kids to ball for you
- Rule #2 Not ok for them to find out how much other schools NILDorks will pay?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... ue-anymore

The Rick, saying the (not so) quiet, and ridiculously obvious, part out loud...
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rick liked it better when he was one of the few that had the money bags. Wah Wah poor Rick. All the chips stacked against him lol
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 2 months ago Rick liked it better when he was one of the few that had the money bags. Wah Wah poor Rick. All the chips stacked against him lol
If that's what you got out of that article...ok
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 months ago
bigappleram wrote: 2 months ago Rick liked it better when he was one of the few that had the money bags. Wah Wah poor Rick. All the chips stacked against him lol
The only thing worth getting out of that article is sour grapes from Rick. He didn’t articulate anything new on the issue.
And anything from Rick on this subject is fairly laughable.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 2 months ago
The only thing worth getting out of that article is sour grapes from Rick. He didn’t articulate anything new on the issue.
I believe he's saying, the enforcement is pointless at this time because everyone cited just sues. And he's absolutely right.
Not sure how that's sour grapes. Sounds more like someone's just looking for any and every chance to stick out their anti-Rick flag :)
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I believe he's saying, the enforcement is pointless at this time because everyone cited just sues. And he's absolutely right.
Not sure how that's sour grapes. Sounds more like someone's just looking for any and every chance to stick out their anti-Rick flag :)
He brizzed his entire roster and replaced them all - many due to NIL dollars at his disposal. He exploited the old system to the fullest. Is the current situation ridiculous? Of course it is. But him speaking to its hypocrisy is hilarious. No anti Rick anything he just prob isn’t the best mouthpiece for trying to reign in the situation.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

He brizzed his entire roster and replaced them all - many due to NIL dollars at his disposal. He exploited the old system to the fullest. Is the current situation ridiculous? Of course it is. But him speaking to its hypocrisy is hilarious. No anti Rick anything he just prob isn’t the best mouthpiece for trying to reign in the situation.
I didn't get that he was saying anything at all about reigning in the situation. Just my opinion, but it looks to me like he's just acknowledging what everyone can see...it's a free market (or as some of those who pine for the old days might call it, "the wild wild west") now. Players are getting paid, and when you're paid to do something, if someone else will pay you more, you go there. You can't put that horse back in the barn, errr, regulate it, and it's wasted effort to try. Seems to just be stating the obvious...

ETA: If Arch had, or if Arch does, brizz his entire roster, replace them all, and we end up at the same level as the johnnies...this fan base would be the happiest it's been since the win over Oklahoma
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

And if he does that and yet also complains about the state of the game I’ll point out his hypocrisy too.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

It’s the changing landscape getting these coaches frustrated with college hoops

Let’s get DH another natty and get him an NBA job away from NIL and the portal !
0 x