1/27 | George Mason | 4:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
brady1
Art Stephenson

Re: 1/27 | George Mason | 4:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by brady1 »

Bone your depressive stage is kicking in. Might be time to fix yourself a drink and watch Netflix. Save the board from having to read 15 more DOMEBONE posts that are a tad different but pretty much say the exact same thing. ARCHIE’s going to fine and so is URI BASKETBALL!

GO RHODY!
Last edited by brady1 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 months ago Guys remember

Don't get too upset about this! Don't be a passionate fan! There are ups and downs and stuff!
Guys remember...

Throw a temper tantrum and have no perspective on bigger things. When URI loses, Archie sucks, the players suck, and everything sucks. Be miserable and have your head explode! It's important to have your overall mood be dictated by a college basketball team that you root for.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Ya left out the refs suck…….😉
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 3 months ago

Don't get too upset about this! Don't be a passionate fan! There are ups and downs and stuff!
Guys remember...

Throw a temper tantrum and have no perspective on bigger things. When URI loses, Archie sucks, the players suck, and everything sucks. Be miserable and have your head explode! It's important to have your overall mood be dictated by a college basketball team that you root for.
That's right! Just conveniently have no strong feelings whether we win or lose! That way we can cultivate a level of apathy that keeps us safe from actually giving a shit about what happens on the court. Of course, unless the stars align and we go to the tournament, then we can start to me excited. Until then, we are the legion of the stoic fans than don't get bothered whether we win or lose.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Guys remember...

I hate that last sentence. It’s so lazy to think that way.

People have been passionate about sports teams since the beginning of time.

So what if it pisses people off when they lose? It should.

That’s like saying your team winning a national title shouldn’t impact your overall mood either.

Lazy lazy take.
3 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 months ago

Guys remember...

That's right! Just conveniently have no strong feelings whether we win or lose! That way we can cultivate a level of apathy that keeps us safe from actually giving a shit about what happens on the court. Of course, unless the stars align and we go to the tournament, then we can start to me excited. Until then, we are the legion of the stoic fans than don't get bothered whether we win or lose.
And just keep repeating “David Cox did not damage this program”
Remember you telling me that PMMM?
Repeat
Repeat
Repeat

Cox and his overrated recruiting performance and his inability to develop players and his inability to retain those few players he did have steadily drove this team performance down over 4 long years. Yet you PMMM told me Cox did not damage this program,

And now you want to insult long term fans of this program with being stoic and passive.

Fans are not the problem.
Last edited by ramster 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 3 months ago

Guys remember...

Remember you telling me that?
Repeat
Repeat
Repeat
Mr know it all
No. Did I say that? I sincerely don't remember saying that. He clearly destroyed everything Dan built and I'm sure I've said that multiple times.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 3 months ago Ya left out the refs suck…….😉
They did!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Repeat
Repeat
Repeat
Mr know it all
No. Did I say that? I sincerely don't remember saying that. He clearly destroyed everything Dan built and I'm sure I've said that multiple times.
See my response
Absolutely PMMM told me that
I’ll never, ever forget it

I rarely bring it up but if you are going to criticize certain fans here of being stoic and passive and satisfied with where we are then I can’t understand it.

Miller had a huge hole to dig out of. I’m of the opinion, just as I was in the Jim.Baron 2.0 thread, to let the season play out. See how the A10 Tournament plays out.
This team has some potential to surprise in March. I’ll stick with that. After March let’s see where the season nets out
Last edited by ramster 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
JFrech21
Jeff Kent

Unread post by JFrech21 »

Bassy had 6 steals today, we could have used a few of those. Or his 25 points, or his 7 assists. But….Always Wright.
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Repeat
Repeat
Repeat
Mr know it all
See my response

I rarely bring it up but if you are going to criticize certain fans here of being stoic and passive and satisfied with where we are?
Well you quoted me, that's why I AXED you

Otherwise yeah, I dislike fan stoicism.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ram1980 wrote: 3 months ago I'm going to be a broken record. This pack line defense does not work with this group of players . It's more like matador defense. Guard drives by our guard. Big comes off to help. Everyone starts running around cluelessly. Wide open shot the result. It's not working Sean Miller according to this clown doing the color. Mason couldn't hit a three to save there life. Play zone. We're in foul trouble. Play zone to protect your players. Please Archie try something different to fix this..
I previously broke down the pack line defense. Basically, you guard, across the court, the strip that is 5 feet away from the baseline and 5 feet inside the foul line (highlighted). Notice very few points scored against Rhody from there..
packy.JPG
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RI_Bred wrote: 3 months ago
rhodysurf wrote: 3 months ago The defense just isn’t good enough. Thats the problem with this team. Offense is fine.
Players can't handle the scheme and coach will not adapt. Or can't adapt.
Just reading through, but...only half-watching, they did give pressing a try, didn't they? I didn't think it was awful from what I saw
0 x
JFrech21
Jeff Kent

Unread post by JFrech21 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 months ago
RI_Bred wrote: 3 months ago
rhodysurf wrote: 3 months ago The defense just isn’t good enough. Thats the problem with this team. Offense is fine.
Players can't handle the scheme and coach will not adapt. Or can't adapt.
Just reading through, but...only half-watching, they did give pressing a try, didn't they? I didn't think it was awful from what I saw
Green picked up a dumb foul one time they pressed, running right over someone. His 4th I think.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 3 months ago I said it earlier in season somehow we followed a season with the worst offensive team I can remember (last year) with the worst defensive team I can remember.
Thank you so much for pointing this out...something to be grateful for...much better offense.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

See my response

I rarely bring it up but if you are going to criticize certain fans here of being stoic and passive and satisfied with where we are?
Well you quoted me, that's why I AXED you

Otherwise yeah, I dislike fan stoicism.
I was still typing my reply when you replied first. It was meant for PMMM but you both are saying similar things other than the David Cox did nothing to hurt the program.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

0 x
Mobley was fouled.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

brady1 wrote: 3 months ago Tough season. Hate to say it but kinda wish we kept Jalen Carey around 😳!! Very winnable game. Let’s hope all the pieces fit sometime soon there’s talent on this team.

GO RHODY!
You know things are bad when you wish we still had Jalen Carey.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ram1980 wrote: 3 months ago I'm going to be a broken record. This pack line defense does not work with this group of players . It's more like matador defense. Guard drives by our guard. Big comes off to help. Everyone starts running around cluelessly. Wide open shot the result. It's not working Sean Miller according to this clown doing the color. Mason couldn't hit a three to save there life. Play zone. We're in foul trouble. Play zone to protect your players. Please Archie try something different to fix this..
I previously broke down the pack line defense. Basically, you guard, across the court, the strip that is 5 feet away from the baseline and 5 feet inside the foul line (highlighted). Notice very few points scored against Rhody from there..

packy.JPG
Not for nothin', but...when you force 2 turnovers for the game and zero in the second half...are you really playing defense? I mean, don't you just bump into a steal or two per half, or a guy from the other team dribbles the ball off his foot, misses a pass, or steps out of bounds? I mean, didn't happen once in a whole half, just twice for a whole game? Man, who wouldn't want to play against that?
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody22 wrote: 3 months ago
theblueram wrote: 3 months ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 3 months ago I wonder if Duane is still giving out the defensive player of the game award...
He left it in the Mason locker room.
He gave it to Rory and Connor…
He gave it to Skinn 'cuz there coulda been 3 guys over 20, but there were only two
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Guys remember...

Seriously, how many times are you going to say this? I bet you're one of those people who goes to a karaoke bar and complains that there's karaoke. Why join a message board for diehard fans and act surprised when they vent? Imagine how dull this place would be if every fan didn't let games affect them in any way. BORING.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

JFrech21 wrote: 3 months ago Bassy had 6 steals today, we could have used a few of those. Or his 25 points, or his 7 assists. But….Always Wright.
He’s gotta be in the running for AE POY.

Probably won’t win it cus of the teams record, but hell of a season so far.
Last edited by Rhody15 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

spar wrote: 3 months ago Worst defense I can ever remember seeing. Ever. We have given up an AVERAGE of 95+ pts in our last three road games. 95+ pts! Can anyone confirm the last time this has happened in the program? Or is this the first??

I'm really trying to be patient with Archie, but I'm at a complete loss with how he can continue running the same defensive scheme given how bad it has been almost all year. You're telling me there's not a better defensive scheme we can try running to at least hold our last three road opponents to an avg that is under 95+ pts a game? If that's the case, then that's an even bigger concern that in Arch's professional opinion, our "best" (and only) defensive scheme for this group of players to run is the one where we give up an AVERAGE of 95+ pts in our last three road games. Someone please say this isn't so.
How about "any" program? Not just 'this' program...
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

JFrech21 wrote: 3 months ago Bassy had 6 steals today, we could have used a few of those. Or his 25 points, or his 7 assists. But….Always Wright.
He also was 14/15 from the line.. 76% FT shooter this year at 6 attempts a game.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

packy.JPG
Thank goodness for that vaunted pack line defense. We've only given up an average of 89.5 points over the last 4 games.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 3 months ago

OK, so...where does he play next year?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

All depends on if the multi time transfer rule sticks or not.

Even if it does, he’s got the ball in his hands at all times and is playing a ton of minutes at Albany. Keys to the Ferrari.

My guess is he stays.
0 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

I was thinking at least we have La Salle and Duquesne at home next, probably our two most winnable games left.

But, Duquesne now has won their last two games against the Bonnies and Fordham.
Plus, they have Grant back.

La Salle just beat GW tonight 80-70 in DC.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Even if it does, he’s got the ball in his hands at all times and is playing a ton of minutes at Albany. Keys to the Ferrari.

My guess is he stays.
Hmm...I guess that begs the question...if Albany is a Ferrari, what's URI?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 months ago I was thinking at least we have La Salle and Duquesne at home next, probably our two most winnable games left.

But, Duquesne now has won their last two games against the Bonnies and Fordham.
Plus, they have Grant back.

La Salle just beat GW tonight 80-70 in DC.
GW arguably has more individual talent than every team besides Dayton.

Caputo really dropping the ball with them.
1 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

My guess is he stays.
A Ford Pinto.
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

My guess is he stays.
A Ford Pinto.
LOL, never had one of those, but I did at one point own a Ford Escort and at another a Ford Maverick
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Let’s be real Always will be shown the door next year, you think Hammond is going to play behind him, LMAO
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Dino611 wrote: 3 months ago Let’s be real Always will be shown the door next year, you think Hammond is going to play behind him, LMAO
Despite the ranting...for what he does...Rhody doesn't really have any better options currently
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

208, I once owned an AMC Pacer, the biggest POS ever.

It would just stop running while highway driving, and would have to wait 10-15 minutes before it would start again, and run for a while before rinse, repeat ad nauseam.

Sort of like URI BB right now..

I'm so glad that there are posters on this board that are so sure we'll be good again soon.

Wish I could be one of them, but I'm not going there until I see results.
0 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

I really don't know what Archie saw in Always Wright. Very minimal impact on the court. Not a good enough passer to make up for his PPG.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

A Ford Pinto.
LOL, never had one of those, but I did at one point own a Ford Escort and at another a Ford Maverick
The first car I owned was a 1972 Maverick. Not exactly a classic but better than a Pinto.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah forcing 2 turnovers is an absolute joke

Also we are sending a double team down to the block for no reason and we get burned multiple teams when the guy throws the ball out of it and ball is reversed for an open 3

Defense just isn’t good enough right now
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Onto LaSalle, maybe can play some tough, non porous defense? Keep Explorers in the 70s.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

reef wrote: 3 months ago Yeah forcing 2 turnovers is an absolute joke

Also we are sending a double team down to the block for no reason and we get burned multiple teams when the guy throws the ball out of it and ball is reversed for an open 3

Defense just isn’t good enough right now
Wrong, we were doubling for a reason.

It was very clear Hall was killing us and we couldn’t stop with one defender.

Just did a poor job rotating on the shooters.
0 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Zek Montgomery opened season with 8 straight double figure games. With an ability to score at all three levels.

Has now scored in double figures once in last 8 and I don’t recall a player falling off a cliff like him in recent memory.
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

section(105) wrote: 3 months ago Ya left out the refs suck…….😉
... and Yorke sucks
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

bigappleram wrote: 3 months ago Zek Montgomery opened season with 8 straight double figure games. With an ability to score at all three levels.

Has now scored in double figures once in last 8 and I don’t recall a player falling off a cliff like him in recent memory.
Mystified about Zek also ! Don’t think any of us saw this coming and it’s killing us
1 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

A lot of folks criticizing the 'pack line' but honestly it does not appear that we are even playing it.
At first I thought it was just not being comprehended and executed well but if you watch, the most basic concepts of the defense are not even close to being followed. So it does not appear that the players are even attempting it. We are just playing straight man and not very well.

We are not forcing the ball to the middle, and when we get beaten middle the help is late (leading to lots of reach fouls) or non existent (leading to open lay ups). We are also getting beaten by edge drives because we are not taking an outside defensive stance.
The defense is made for teams like us - teams with guards that have trouble keeping the ball in front of them.
If they would play the defense right, it could help. They just aren't.

Yet somehow opposing teams are still getting lots of open 3s. It's like we are in between land. It's the worst of all worlds, defensively.
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

I guess we are playing a 90’s style defense……….let the opponent score in the 90’s…….
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

We may set an NCAA record this year for least number of turnovers forced during a season.

In all seriousness, if an opposing team did full court, 3 man weave drills with no defense for 40 min they'd have more than 2 turnovers.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 3 months ago A lot of folks criticizing the 'pack line' but honestly it does not appear that we are even playing it.
At first I thought it was just not being comprehended and executed well but if you watch, the most basic concepts of the defense are not even close to being followed. So it does not appear that the players are even attempting it. We are just playing straight man and not very well.

We are not forcing the ball to the middle, and when we get beaten middle the help is late (leading to lots of reach fouls) or non existent (leading to open lay ups). We are also getting beaten by edge drives because we are not taking an outside defensive stance.
The defense is made for teams like us - teams with guards that have trouble keeping the ball in front of them.

Yet somehow opposing teams are still getting lots of open 3s. It's like we are in between land. It's the worst of all worlds, defensively.
I agree, the worst part of our defense is the top of the key, we get beat by a drive and then there should be help defense but there’s not.
0 x
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 months ago
rhodyblue12 wrote: 3 months ago A lot of folks criticizing the 'pack line' but honestly it does not appear that we are even playing it.

I agree, the worst part of our defense is the top of the key, we get beat by a drive and then there should be help defense but there’s not.
Actually, they seem to cover most of the court pretty well...except for 3's and layups. Definitely have that "worst shot" stuff all covered.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Agree with this. Also fwiw I think we have taken 1 charge this year. 1. Maybe have even attempted to draw a charge 3-4 times. It’s basic stuff.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 3 months ago Zek Montgomery opened season with 8 straight double figure games. With an ability to score at all three levels.

Never seen it on any team! It defies reason and it's really hurt our team. I remember his little midrange jumpers were automatic, when he was open for three it was going down. The dude was incredibly efficient and tough. Everyone was unanimously amazed by him and now...NOTHING. non-existent.

Just as Arch needs to figure out what to do with our defense, he can't let players like him fall apart mentally like that. Tough to blame Arch completely for that, but the team and the players on it are his responsibility. Getting him back going would help us tremendously
1 x