1/27 | George Mason | 4:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: 1/27 | George Mason | 4:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ramster wrote: 3 months ago
RI_Bred wrote: 3 months ago
theblueram wrote: 3 months ago

The cost to attend URI out of state living on campus is almost a quarter MILLION dollars.
That is INSANEFLATION
But, but, the prez says we don't have that...
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 months ago
section(105) wrote: 3 months ago
Well yeah, ultimately it boils down to the staff and their ability to get the most out of the players.
Or which Coach recruits the most talented players. There is a difference in the level of talent in the Transfers for each A10 Team.
Yes, getting the talent and recruiting is first, that is where we must trust our staff in finding the right fit.
Then it comes down molding/developing the players into a successful team.
0 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

Well yeah, ultimately it boils down to the staff and their ability to get the most out of the players.
Or which Coach recruits the most talented players. There is a difference in the level of talent in the Transfers for each A10 Team.
Yes, getting the talent and recruiting is first, that is where we must trust our staff in finding the right fit.
Right... it's their job to find players that are the right fit. After that it's about coaching, and we're in year 2 now and Archie's struggling to get his team to play to their potential. We have talent.
0 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

I don't watch GM but their schedule has been very weak, one that we would be complaining about. They are 3-3 in the A10. Not exactly word beaters. But just to make some of you happy, I would like to personally congratulate the GM coach on successfully rebuilding their program in a half of a season (less than one year)! A new standard has been set.
2 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 3 months ago I don't watch GM but their schedule has been very weak, one that we would be complaining about. They are 3-3 in the A10. Not exactly word beaters. But just to make some of you happy, I would like to personally congratulate the GM coach on successfully rebuilding their program in a half of a season (less than one year)! A new standard has been set.
The right coach doesn't need 3-4 years to rebuild a program in the current world. Teams can get better quickly through the transfer portal. I don't think we can just wait for our younger players to age. If they're good enough and want to play in the tournament, they'll transfer to a P5. It's that simple.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

rhodyram22 wrote: 3 months ago
Rhody_NYCT wrote: 3 months ago I don't watch GM but their schedule has been very weak, one that we would be complaining about. They are 3-3 in the A10. Not exactly word beaters. But just to make some of you happy, I would like to personally congratulate the GM coach on successfully rebuilding their program in a half of a season (less than one year)! A new standard has been set.
The right coach doesn't need 3-4 years to rebuild a program in the current world. Teams can get better quickly through the transfer portal. I don't think we can just wait for our younger players to age. If they're good enough and want to play in the tournament, they'll transfer to a P5. It's that simple.
It’s not that simple. Do you see how many players entered the portal last year and didn’t end up playing basketball this year? Thousands.

Everyone needs to quit with the boomer doomerism. This is the world now and a good coach will still build a good team.

The team this year has tons of flaws, but they are vastly improved from last year. And the year is only half over!! The trajectory is going correctly even if it’s not immediate, which is an insane thing to expect
3 x
rhodyram22
ARD

rhodysurf wrote: 3 months ago
It’s not that simple. Do you see how many players entered the portal last year and didn’t end up playing basketball this year? Thousands.

Everyone needs to quit with the boomer doomerism. This is the world now and a good coach will still build a good team.

The team this year has tons of flaws, but they are vastly improved from last year. And the year is only half over!! The trajectory is going correctly even if it’s not immediate, which is an insane thing to expect
Wdym didn't end up playing basketball? What if the NCAA makes the new transfer rule permanent? I'm not trying to be a debbie downer, but if a guy like Foumena isn't happy here by the end of the season, there's no guarantee he's going to stay! The expectation this season is at least .500 imo, which we're on the right track to hit.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Wdym didn't end up playing basketball? What if the NCAA makes the new transfer rule permanent? I'm not trying to be a debbie downer, but if a guy like Foumena isn't happy here by the end of the season, there's no guarantee he's going to stay! The expectation this season is at least .500 imo, which we're on the right track to hit.
I mean a ton of transfers (thousands) entered the portal and never found another team.

And that’s ok! You shouldn’t hold a player hostage. You need a program that has coaching and perks that makes players WANT to stay here. Yes that has to be built, but that’s what the coaches job is! If they want to leave in the first place and then they are forced to play here when they don’t want to they will suck anyways, or bring down the locker room.
3 x
rhodyram22
ARD

I mean a ton of transfers (thousands) entered the portal and never found another team.

And that’s ok! You shouldn’t hold a player hostage. You need a program that has coaching and perks that makes players WANT to stay here. Yes that has to be built, but that’s what the coaches job is! If they want to leave in the first place and then they are forced to play here when they don’t want to they will suck anyways, or bring down the locker room.
I totally agree with you man. Not worth keeping guys here that don't want to play here. You look at a team like Dayton and the talent they've been able to retain. That's where I want this program to be in a few years. Same with VCU in recent years, maybe not this one because they're rebuilding.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

No, it's not rebuilt yet...takes 3-4 years minimum. :roll:
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 3 months ago
ElmCityRhody wrote: 3 months ago

The NCAA blew it, they are all professionals now.

No such thing as NIL that is a joke, it is all pay-to-play.

completely agree

ruined college sports

that haves and the have nots

if they wanted to compensate players then they should have come up with something that was even

split all the profits evenly amongst all scholarship players in college hoops

then do the same based on college football, rinse repeat for other sports

this is jsut somehting i came up with just now.. so i am sure someone will shred this to pieces

point being.. they ruined the sport - if we lose our best players again i will begin to wonder "why bother"

half the fun is wathcing your own guys for 4 years and see them grow up

look at EC and hassan... etc....

those days are long gone
ECR, don’t feel so bad. At least us older fans were able to see some thrilling basketball over the years, watched great Rhody players and experienced NCAAT runs.

Imagine being a younger fan ? I feel bad for them as I am sure you do and other old timers here do, as well.
That's the problem. There aren't a lot of younger fans. I'd love to see a demographic breakdown of Rhody season ticket holders. I'd bet that at least 75% are 40+. In fact, I'd like to see a demographic breakdown of Keaney Blue posters. That would give us an idea. Anybody want to start a poll?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 months ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 3 months ago
ElmCityRhody wrote: 3 months ago

completely agree

ruined college sports

that haves and the have nots

if they wanted to compensate players then they should have come up with something that was even

split all the profits evenly amongst all scholarship players in college hoops

then do the same based on college football, rinse repeat for other sports

this is jsut somehting i came up with just now.. so i am sure someone will shred this to pieces

point being.. they ruined the sport - if we lose our best players again i will begin to wonder "why bother"

half the fun is wathcing your own guys for 4 years and see them grow up

look at EC and hassan... etc....

those days are long gone
ECR, don’t feel so bad. At least us older fans were able to see some thrilling basketball over the years, watched great Rhody players and experienced NCAAT runs.

Imagine being a younger fan ? I feel bad for them as I am sure you do and other old timers here do, as well.
That's the problem. There aren't a lot of younger fans. I'd love to see a demographic breakdown of Rhody season ticket holders. I'd bet that at least 75% are 40+. In fact, I'd like to see a demographic breakdown of Keaney Blue posters. That would give us an idea. Anybody want to start a poll?
LOL...a "how old are you?" poll?

I kind of agree, but for sth, I'm thinking more like 70% are 50+ and 85-90% over 40? You're definitely right, not a lot of younger fans. Maybe they'll come around in "3-4 years", you know, when it's "rebuilt"
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

One of the least interesting games I can remember.

These last few years have had about 10 interesting and meaningful games.

Will still watch beginning to end, but the emotion is just not there.
0 x
Go Rhody
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

It means they can be competitive but not sure I would consider them contenders yet and certainly not an at-large team.
Huh? It means they don't have a NET in the 200's in the first year of a new head coach. Never mind the second year.
Didn't realize this was a Skinn vs. Archie comparison.
Of course you can get better in a year, no argument there, but is that the final goal?

Archie's approach was different, let's wait and see who gets to the finish line first.
But no doubt I think Skinn has done a good job so far.
What is Archie’ s approach that would make it better long term?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

McRam wrote: 3 months ago

Huh? It means they don't have a NET in the 200's in the first year of a new head coach. Never mind the second year.
Of course you can get better in a year, no argument there, but is that the final goal?

Archie's approach was different, let's wait and see who gets to the finish line first.
I second that question....how is Archie's approach different from Skinn's?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 months ago

Skinn seemed to want to built through the portal instantly.

Archie, at the beginning, said he wanted to build moreso with freshman.
0 x
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

It actually proves it only takes one year.
It means they can be competitive but not sure I would consider them contenders yet and certainly not an at-large team.
Helps that their OOC wad incredibly weak. They did play at Tenn, but after that it was a couple decent teams (Tulane and Charlotte) they returned three guys and they haven't had any injury problems.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Not saying I agree with everything Archie has done.

I remember last year talking with a few posters/fans (off the board) that there were some veteran players (bigs) that I wish he went after. I knew we didn't have the talent upfront/in the paint to compete in 22-23.
I also felt that some experienced bigs would have helped bridge the gap.

Yeah, I am not 100% convinced of his process yet.
But I have a feeling he is becoming a little more flexible on how he uses the portal now (losing can do that). 
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 3 months ago

Skinn seemed to want to built through the portal instantly.

Archie, at the beginning, said he wanted to build moreso with freshman.
He mighta said that then...but I'm not thinking that actually happened, or that it ever will?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I remember last year talking with a few posters/fans (off the board) that there were some veteran players (bigs) that I wish he went after. I knew we didn't have the talent upfront/in the paint to compete in 22-23.

But I have a feeling he is becoming a little more flexible on how he uses the portal now (losing can do that). 
Agreed Jersey. I think we also have to keep in mind that Archie started at a weird time in college hoops where things were very unsettled in terms of how to construct a roster. I'm confident that as things begin to settle down in to whatever the new normal will be that Archie will be able to navigate it and put together a good team.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote: 3 months ago

Agreed Jersey. I think we also have to keep in mind that Archie started at a weird time in college hoops where things were very unsettled in terms of how to construct a roster. I'm confident that as things begin to settle down in to whatever the new normal will be that Archie will be able to navigate it and put together a good team.
Agree that with the changing landscape, the 'way to do it' is still under development. Building with freshman recruits may still be a piece of it, but it looks like it's not going to be that big of a piece going forward.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Right... it's their job to find players that are the right fit. After that it's about coaching, and we're in year 2 now and Archie's struggling to get his team to play to their potential. We have talent.
I don’t think we have as much talent with the transfers as we think. Not when the overall picture is considered (availability, mental toughness, defense, leadership. etc)
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RIFan wrote: 3 months ago For those who say scholarships aren’t paying the players enough, I bet all those kids who put their name in the portal and didn’t end up somewhere wouldn’t agree. Now they have to pay to finish their degree, if they even do. This system supposedly took advantage of kids, so now no more rules and we are expecting kids to make good decisions? Hahahaha
The cost to attend URI out of state living on campus is almost a quarter MILLION dollars.
That's not the cost, that's the sticker price. Two entirely different things
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

That is INSANEFLATION
That is what happens when a state doesn't properly fund the state flagship but still expects deep discounts for in-state students
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 months ago

That is INSANEFLATION
That is what happens when a state doesn't properly fund the state flagship but still expects deep discounts for in-state students
Question, are people saying “flagship” just because UMass has pushed that in marketing the last few years?

Almost positive nobody posted that here before UMass started using it.
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 months ago
Question, are people saying “flagship” just because UMass has pushed that in marketing the last few years?

Almost positive nobody posted that here before UMass started using it.
lol...I just thought every state had always used it...
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

No, that's a common term long before UMass started using it, and it was absolutely used here before
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Archie's plan of building with freshmen is/was a good plan....several years ago, before everything changed.

If he can keep the freshmen we have and keep adding more is great, but what are the odds of that?

I agree most of the transfers he's brought in have not panned out that's for sure.

Some here are assuming future success is guaranteed with Archie. Sorry, to me its show me time and soon.

Meanwhile, another ass whooping is about to commence at 4 this afternoon.

Might as well try some reverse psychology nothing else is working lol.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 months ago No, that's a common term long before UMass started using it, and it was absolutely used here before
I know it’s a common term, but hasn’t been used frequently here before UMass started pumping it out.

Never noticed it at all.
Last edited by Rhody15 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Screw UMass

I'm guaranteeing a win today

Go F'n Rhody! George Mason was an inferior founding father who wished he was George Washington! Rhody by 1....
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 months ago Archie's plan of building with freshmen is/was a good plan....several years ago, before everything changed.

If he can keep the freshmen we have and keep adding more is great, but what are the odds of that?

I agree most of the transfers he's brought in have not panned out that's for sure.

Some here are assuming future success is guaranteed with Archie. Sorry, to me its show me time and soon.

If it Archie vs coach xxx, I’m taking Archie. Who else was there?
0 x
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 3 months ago Archie's plan of building with freshmen is/was a good plan....several years ago, before everything changed.

Nope

A rhody win is about to happen biotch
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 months ago No, that's a common term long before UMass started using it, and it was absolutely used here before
I know it’s a common term, but hasn’t been used frequently here before UMass started pumping it out.

Never noticed it at all.
It’s pretty simple to do a search on here. Within a couple seconds you can see there are over 400 results for the term and the first being 11 years ago.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I definitely understand where you are coming from

I was in the future success was guaranteed with Arch and now have changed my tune to let’s see what happens
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

adam914 wrote: 3 months ago

Never noticed it at all.
It’s pretty simple to do a search on here. Within a couple seconds you can see there are over 400 results for the term and the first being 11 years ago.
So averages about 10/11 times used a year if my math serves correctly.
0 x
Go Rhody
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Mason’s band is extremely good
They have vocalists
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rhodyrudder wrote: 3 months ago Mason’s band is extremely good
They have vocalists
WHAAAAAAT, er, are they singing?
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

rhodyrudder wrote: 3 months ago Mason’s band is extremely good
They have vocalists
WHAAAAAAT, er, are they singing?
Stevie, beyonce, lots of rly good shit
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

And the wifi obviously works
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

And the PA is pretty good
Not ear-splitting
And u can understand like just about every single thing they say
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rhodyrudder wrote: 3 months ago And the PA is pretty good
Not ear-splitting
And u can understand like just about every single thing they say
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Zek is available. Not sure if that's good or bad. I'd rather see Brandon get minutes right now.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 months ago Zek is available. Not sure if that's good or bad. I'd rather see Brandon get minutes right now.
Ok I just tossed it on , let’s go Rhody !
1 x
rhodyram22
ARD

David mf green
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

We are ahead, now what? 8-2, and Zek in.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Good start. DG is hot!

Let’s gooooooooo
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Dg bitch
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Rhody 9-4. 1539

DG with 8 of our 9

Fight Rhody fight !
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Green gets a quick 8 and gets taken out. Explain!
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Nice to see Archie listened to the board and put Foumena in over Brown.
1 x
Go Rhody