Ex-coaches returning for a game...

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Ex-coaches returning for a game...

Unread post by ramster »

I don’t agree he quit on his team. Cooley may be a lot of things in your minds but quitter is not one of them, except the time he dropped URI and replaced with Fairleigh Dickinson during Covid with no fans present. I’ll give you that quitter example.
He took a better job for him and his family. Everything else is just fan and media noise.
3 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

I guess we just agree to disagree on being a quitter.
But taking a formal meeting at Georgetown before their road game at Gtown, coming home and putting his home under agreement to sell before Senior Day, allowing the rumors to become a complete distraction to the team before the BET and NCAA, him publically making stupid comments like "what rumors?" and his team saying "We heard everything and no one ever addressed anything with us..." makes it come across as a complete distraction that tanked the end of the season. He very easily could have told Gtown, I'm interested but I've got a season to finish first. Kept it quiet. His actions helped turn it into a bigger fire. His words, never once trying to put his team first. Maybe he still tried, but you can't watch the end of last season and not wonder wtf happened, and not tie it into the rumors in some form. The BET and NCAA Tournament last year were completely unejoyable from a fan perspective because of these rumors, made even worse because Gtown is in the BE, it was the worst-kept secret, and it's all people talked about. It's not some new opinion from after he left, I commented several times over those two weeks about how completely miserable the buildup was for those games, that BET/NCAA should be filled with anxious excitement, but instead were filled with constant rumor mongering and non-stop media stories. Even John Fanta, who is a complete Cooley bobo, has publically stated he has never seen anything like this happen. You can flip it all you want, but that's why many feel he quit on the team. NYG hit it partially, programs/coaches may put out feelers and do some of this stuff, but it typically stays private. This is very unique... even if you don't agree with fan antics, you have to admit it was a strange and twisted sequence of events, and that at the very least, you too would be disappointed if your coach agreed to coach an in-conference foe weeks before the NCAA Tournament for the same money, same conference, etc. Maybe you wouldn't be yelling "F U," but you'd be disappointed and perhaps upset, or could see why your friends were upset even if you held a better perspective.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Ok let’s pretend those things are unique to this situation (which they aren’t)…you think PC wasn’t talking to Cooley while he was coaching Fairfield and they knew they were firing Davis. UConn wasn’t talking to Dan in the midst of a historic season for Rhody? Do you recall how we ended that season? Don’t be so naive. That happens everywhere and all the time and is part of the business. Because UConn has more resources and is in the BE that makes it ok? Gtfoh

But ok let’s indulge bc you aren’t the only one to say it…how could he have left for Gtown and have done it in a way that was cool with the fan base?

Come out and say I’m having trouble at home I have to start fresh somewhere else? Cmon deal in reality. I get being pissed but just say we thought he was our coach for life and he left and we feel like scorned lovers. All the other rationalizing of he left for a conference school (so what) and he quit on his team (prove it) are lame AF.

He made Friartown. Period end of story. Will it continue without him, maybe? But those 12k people and environment in there tomorrow are because of him. Like it or not.
4 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

bigappleram wrote: 3 months ago Ok let’s pretend those things are unique to this situation (which they aren’t)…you think PC wasn’t talking to Cooley while he was coaching Fairfield and they knew they were firing Davis. UConn wasn’t talking to Dan in the midst of a historic season for Rhody? Do you recall how we ended that season? Don’t be so naive. That happens everywhere and all the time and is part of the business. Because UConn has more resources and is in the BE that makes it ok? Gtfoh

But ok let’s indulge bc you aren’t the only one to say it…how could he have left for Gtown and have done it in a way that was cool with the fan base?

Come out and say I’m having trouble at home I have to start fresh somewhere else? Cmon deal in reality. I get being pissed but just say we thought he was our coach for life and he left and we feel like scorned lovers. All the other rationalizing of he left for a conference school (so what) and he quit on his team (prove it) are lame AF.

He made Friartown. Period end of story. Will it continue without him, maybe? But those 12k people and environment in there tomorrow are because of him. Like it or not.
Huge difference between contacting a coach and gaugeing interest and actually having contract talks while the season is going on and team is in the middle of a run to the ncaa. I remember when PC contacted Cooley but they waited for talks after their nit run. I'm dure Hurley did the same may have let them know he was interested but did not have his agent bargain a contract while his team was in the middle of an ncaa run.i don't remember Hurley putting his house on the market the day after the season ended. It's amazing how all of a sudden ram fans seem all of a sudden worried about Cooley.
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

woodennickel1 wrote: 3 months ago
bigappleram wrote: 3 months ago Ok let’s pretend those things are unique to this situation (which they aren’t)…you think PC wasn’t talking to Cooley while he was coaching Fairfield and they knew they were firing Davis. UConn wasn’t talking to Dan in the midst of a historic season for Rhody? Do you recall how we ended that season? Don’t be so naive. That happens everywhere and all the time and is part of the business. Because UConn has more resources and is in the BE that makes it ok? Gtfoh

Huge difference between contacting a coach and gaugeing interest and actually having contract talks while the season is going on and team is in the middle of a run to the ncaa. I remember when PC contacted Cooley but they waited for talks after their nit run. I'm dure Hurley did the same may have let them know he was interested but did not have his agent bargain a contract while his team was in the middle of an ncaa run.i don't remember Hurley putting his house on the market the day after the season ended. It's amazing how all of a sudden ram fans seem all of a sudden worried about Cooley.
Did you know that Dan hired a former (now current) UConn Assistant Coach, Tom Moore, for his final season at URI?

Oh and George Blaney, Dan’s head coach at Seton Hall, and one of his biggest mentors was also a UConn Assistant.

I’d say Dan had eyes on UConn for quite some time.
5 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

There is zero proof “contract negotiations” were happening during the season. Do you not think Porter Moser, Bobby Hurley and Will Wade all coaching right now aren’t being engaged with for the DePaul opening. That’s the business and it wasn’t unique to the Cooley/PC situation.
2 x
woodennickel1
ARD

bigappleram wrote: 3 months ago

There is zero proof “contract negotiations” were happening during the season. Do you not think Porter Moser, Bobby Hurley and Will Wade all coaching right now aren’t being engaged with for the DePaul opening. That’s the business and it wasn’t unique to the Cooley/PC situation.
Either you're the most naive person on the world or just being a ram fan that hates the Friars so will say anything. He had one foot out the door already. A member of the Georgetown brass was quoted a month earlier saying we have our man I agree that contact is probably made. I guarantee you Moser is more concerned with getting his team to the tournament then where his next destination might be. He sold out the players he recruited to PC. It's pretty obvious they knew what was going on and that's why the bottom fell out.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Fact is you are assuming all those things about Hurley
You don’t know
Worried about Cooley?
Not in the least
Cooley made the best decision for himself and his family. This whole thing about how he owed PC its fans to stay for life……
Cooley is just fine.
I wouldn’t be surprised if he and his family are looking back saying we should have gotten out of there sooner based on how they are all acting back there.

So he put his house on the market the next day. So what.
How many days is tight? 3? 15?
You win 1 NCAA game under Cooley. Now you think things would have been different had he not been distracted by the Georgetown offer?

And where is your esteemed Big East Commissioner in all this? In her own 11 Team Conference Georgetown steals away the PC HC and tampers with him prior to the BE Tournament? Yikes!!! The OC HC put his house in the market so soon? Must warrant huge penalties. What were they again?

Can’t make this up.

Heck, the common thread seems PC fandom is happier with future Hall of Fsner Kim English anyway. Win-Win for PC, English, Georgetown, Cooley and the BE.

You should be happy. Except the house thing kept you from that NCAA run.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Either you're the most naive person on the world or just being a ram fan that hates the Friars so will say anything. He had one foot out the door already. A member of the Georgetown brass was quoted a month earlier saying we have our man I agree that contact is probably made. I guarantee you Moser is more concerned with getting his team to the tournament then where his next destination might be. He sold out the players he recruited to PC. It's pretty obvious they knew what was going on and that's why the bottom fell out.
I’m the naive one? lol. Again the Rams who were 13-0 and hadn’t lost a game in league in a year go 3-4 down the stretch amidst rumors Uconn was going to poach our coach. I’m not the naive one. This stuff happens. All the time. Get your head out of the sand.
2 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Pc is going to come out of this much better off then if Cooley had stayed. Kim English has had more five star visitors to PC in less then a year then Cooley had in eleven years. Plus I've been very impressed with how he's handled the Hopkins injury. I think Cooley's best year are behind him an English is a guy PC would probably not have had a shot at un a couple years. I am sure he will end up moving on too but will handle it much better than Cooley im sure.
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

I’m the naive one? lol. Again the Rams who were 13-0 and hadn’t lost a game in league in a year go 3-4 down the stretch amidst rumors Uconn was going to poach our coach. I’m not the naive one. This stuff happens. All the time. Get your head out of the sand.
I was not as close to the Hurley thing so will take your word on that. Believe I am very close to the Cooley thing and he was gone.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Coaches do this stuff all the time. To say, "Huge difference between contacting a coach and gauging interest and actually having contract talks." ... Is there really? (no, there isn't) He was having conversations with another school, just like Dan probably was. Either a coach is 100% focused on his team and not going anywhere, or, he has in his mind that he might be going someplace else (whether it's via 'gauging of interest' or 'actual contract talks') and does the best he can, as I'm sure Cooley tried. Gauging interest and having contract talks are just different kinds of the same distraction conversation, there's not this chasm of difference there.

I don't think Rhody Nation all of a sudden is 'worried about Cooley.' I'm guessing many/most of the same folks here who think the Rick is the bottom of the moral barrel, feel the same way about Cooley. I'm not a fan of the guy, but that doesn't matter. As someone said earlier, PC is what it is today because of Cooley. He should get mad applause today. Go Hoyas!
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

woodennickel1 wrote: 3 months ago Pc is going to come out of this much better off then if Cooley had stayed. Kim English has had more five star visitors to PC in less then a year then Cooley had in eleven years. Plus I've been very impressed with how he's handled the Hopkins injury. I think Cooley's best year are behind him an English is a guy PC would probably not have had a shot at un a couple years. I am sure he will end up moving on too but will handle it much better than Cooley im sure.
I’m sure that’s what you believe. But it’s impossible to know. Visits are great but ultimately he has to win and go to NCAA. Downplaying what Cooley did at this point is sour grapes. He did what no one at PC had ever done and made the Dunk what it is today. Was that his ceiling, maybe. But so far English’s greatest accomplishment is a mid tier A10 team.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I don’t think Cooley handled it as bad as people are making it out to be.
If somebody hadn’t fouls the dates Real Estate document and shown tge world then the world would not have known - welcome to the social media world of limited privacy I find it funny many of the criticisms of Cooley over the years that were defended by PC fans can now be found on the PC message boards.

PC and Cooley were a great fit

It was time for both to move on

Many, believed Cooley would never leave. Zero chance, zero, zero, zero
But reality was Cooley wanted that Georgetown job bad. I always knew Cooley would consider it if ever there was an opening. Even his daughter went to Georgetown!
1 x
woodennickel1
ARD

woodennickel1 wrote: 3 months ago Pc is going to come out of this much better off then if Cooley had stayed. Kim English has had more five star visitors to PC in less then a year then Cooley had in eleven years. Plus I've been very impressed with how he's handled the Hopkins injury. I think Cooley's best year are behind him an English is a guy PC would probably not have had a shot at un a couple years. I am sure he will end up moving on too but will handle it much better than Cooley im sure.
I’m sure that’s what you believe. But it’s impossible to know. Visits are great but ultimately he has to win and go to NCAA. Downplaying what Cooley did at this point is sour grapes. He did what no one at PC had ever done and made the Dunk what it is today. Was that his ceiling, maybe. But so far English’s greatest accomplishment is a mid tier A10 team.
That's fair and I agree but English is also the youngest coach in the country and he will have growing pains. I don't want it to come off that I don't appreciate what Cooley did. He did a fantastic job no question, but I am hoping for better results in the post-season. I was never confident Cooley could out coach the top coaches when it came down to it. My first concerns with English was coaching so far have been very impressed. But he will also have to do it in the post-season season. I was never very concerned with him being able to get players and that's a big part of the battle.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

You guys didn't have to live it - You can pretend or try to simulate your experience or try to diminish it with "everyone does it," but you weren't directly in it. You didn't hear for the rhetoric for years or the heartbreak of the last few weeks.

Coaches can leave, sure. You can claim historic prestige but Georgetown was not an easy job or a significant step up. It's not like he chose some legitimate blue blood with significant past and recent history. This wasn't Duke , Kentucky, or even Michigan.

We are going to get our closure today. I'm glad everyone here apparently takes the moral high ground and that you are all morally superior. More power to you.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 months ago You guys didn't have to live it - You can pretend or try to simulate your experience or try to diminish it with "everyone does it," but you weren't directly in it. You didn't hear for the rhetoric for years or the heartbreak of the last few weeks.

Coaches can leave, sure. You can claim historic prestige but Georgetown was not an easy job or a significant step up. It's not like he chose some legitimate blue blood with significant past and recent history. This wasn't Duke , Kentucky, or even Michigan.

We are going to get our closure today. I'm glad everyone here apparently takes the moral high ground and that you are all morally superior. More power to you.
I think the moral superiority will be reflected by the crowd today. The moral high road crowd will cheer him...lessee what happens ;)
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Moral high ground? 30+ D1 HC’s changeover every year. It happens.

The guy simply took a better opportunity for himself and his family. That’s all.
It doesn’t matter what you all of the PC “Family” think with regard to Cooley’s career decision.

Let it go.
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

He's not getting cheered today. At best some may not boo him. The boos when he walks out, when he's announced, they will absolutely be deafening.

Again, I'll speak for myself, I don't care that he left, I care how he left. You can say it happens everywhere, it doesn't. But that's my opinion.

Whether it's the age of social media, etc., there are just too many dots to connect to call it all coincidence. Georgetown targeted him in December, he was interested in January, and locked in in February. He became the distraction, not the rumors.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Chicken meet egg

Schools put feelers out all the time

UCONN did it with Hurley

Best of luck to Cooley and to English

Only mistake I think you made was letting Pitino go to St John’s and taking English, especially after GMU looked so bad in last year’s A10 Tournament. English may turn out great but PC had a big pool to choose from with Coolet out.

Of course I wanted Pitino instead of Cox 6 years ago. URJ also could have cast a wider net following Hurley’s departure vs hitting the Assistant Coach.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

It wasn't the feelers that is the issue.
If it was as simple as:
"Gtown, we are interested in you?"
"Great, I have interest too, let's talk after the season."
It sucks, but that's how it should be... School identifies a target and has confirmation of interest, but the coach is still committed to his current job.
Cooley agreed to work being done in his house in January because he "may need to sell."
He listed his house before the season ended.
He was long-gone by the time March came around.
Have you ever left a job? Do you give the same effort?
I'll answer for you - God no.
I don't necessarily mail it in on employers, but I wouldn't say they are getting my best... No sleepless nights thinking through projects and goals, no more trying to on-board new clients, etc.
The demeanor dramatically changes. Even the most professional of people admit their attitude towards the job is different.
So if you are locking in that you are definitely leaving a month before the season ends, I'm sorry but you aren't convincing me there wasn't some drop in attention, further allowing it to become a rampant distraction without trying to shut it down only makes it worse.
I believe the first time he was asked about it, after a week of loud noise; his response was "What rumors?"
A few days later, he said that "We are approached all the time, it's flattering," or something to that effect.
Players admitted to hearing all the noise.
Do you really not thing that is a major distraction?
This wasn't just noise, it was a raging forest fire taking over the entire program during the biggest time of the year.
Cooley could have put the fire out, and he never did. He let it run. He participated in it running.
He didn't just leave. I'm sorry you can't understand as a fan directly impacted how that might make you feel.
It's not about "just doing what's best for him at that point."
And you can keep pointing to Hurley, but correct me if I'm wrong, feelers may have been put out between UCONN/Hurley, but after that season, didn't he connect with Pitt as well and receive a contract offer?
Does that happen if he's told UCONN in February "I'm yours just wait for the season to end?"
I don't know, I don't recall seeing anything as significant as a coach moving in-conference and committing to them during the season. Sorry.
If you can't see the animosity that might create, I can't help you. He should do what's best for him, but it doesn't mean he gets a heroes welcome in return.
One day he will. Not today.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 months ago He's not getting cheered today. At best some may not boo him. The boos when he walks out, when he's announced, they will absolutely be deafening.

Again, I'll speak for myself, I don't care that he left, I care how he left. You can say it happens everywhere, it doesn't. But that's my opinion.

Whether it's the age of social media, etc., there are just too many dots to connect to call it all coincidence. Georgetown targeted him in December, he was interested in January, and locked in in February. He became the distraction, not the rumors.
So again I ask because you keep saying it how could he have left to be in RJs good graces? These things always end messy.

Let’s be honest with what it is…a coach you never thought would leave departed for a program coming off a 1 win season.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 months ago He's not getting cheered today. At best some may not boo him. The boos when he walks out, when he's announced, they will absolutely be deafening.

So again I ask because you keep saying it how could he have left to be in RJs good graces? These things always end messy.

Let’s be honest with what it is…a coach you never thought would leave departed for a program coming off a 1 win season.
I never thought he would never leave the program.
Personally I assumed if he did leave, it would be for a blue-blood and a major raise. He's also someone repeatedly said he wanted to retire and get into the media between 55-60, so he's always had a limited shot clock on his career.
So was it a surprise he was going to head to a significant rebuild at age 54? Sure.
All that aside, it's the committing to them during the season that for me is the pisser. It's not the feelers. I'm not naive, I know programs/agents put out feelers all the time.
You don't have to attend a meeting in DC before a road game and tell them you are locked in. You don't have to agree to list your house during the season. You don't have to answer press conference questions like a moron and let the rumor fire grow.
I was pissed because I couldn't enjoy the BET/NCAA, even before word of him leaving became official.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Ed Cooley is a clown but if he wins today it will be the funniest thing I have ever seen on tv
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rhodysurf wrote: 3 months ago Ed Cooley is a clown but if he wins today it will be the funniest thing I have ever seen on tv
Yep, if that happens...I'm not sure when, if ever, I'll stop laughing. Go Hoyas!
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

rhodysurf wrote: 3 months ago Ed Cooley is a clown but if he wins today it will be the funniest thing I have ever seen on tv
I think they will burn Eaton Street to the ground if that happens.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

This pretty much all boils down to the classic PC arrogance we're all familiar with. It seems their attitude is essentially "of course its normal and fine when it happens to other people, but when it happens to us its a travesty!!!!"

Go Hoyas!!!
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote: 3 months ago This pretty much all boils down to the classic PC arrogance we're all familiar with. It seems their attitude is essentially "of course its normal and fine when it happens to other people, but when it happens to us its a travesty!!!!"

Go Hoyas!!!
And therein lies the difference between "comedy" and "tragedy"?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If we had a similar situation like PC fans with Cooley, we’d all feel and react the same way.

Anyone who denies that is a complete liar.

Not even close to the same situation as Hurley to UConn like some have brought up.

He will and should get boo’d to the high heavens today, but they’ll eventually turn to cheers in the years ahead.

Without him, The Dunk/AMP isn’t what it is today, no practice facility, no national relevance.
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 3 months ago If we had a similar situation like PC fans with Cooley, we’d all feel and react the same way.

Not even close to the same situation as Hurley to UConn like some have brought up.

He will and should get boo’d to the high heavens today, but they’ll eventually turn to cheers in the years ahead.

Without him, The Dunk/AMP isn’t what it is today, no practice facility, no national relevance.
What's up with "eventually"? Is Cooley going to do something between now and then that will "change everything"? (No, he isn't)
The only difference is time. It's like, you screwed us last year, "Boooooo, you suck!"
But, five years from now, it'll be "It's all good! (even though you screwed us 5 years ago)"?

Sure...hurr durr..."time heals all wounds"... but when the folks that boo him today are cheering him in 5 years, they will look no less dumb.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 months ago
Rhody15 wrote: 3 months ago If we had a similar situation like PC fans with Cooley, we’d all feel and react the same way.

What's up with "eventually"? Is Cooley going to do something between now and then that will "change everything"? (No, he isn't)
The only difference is time. It's like, you screwed us last year, "Boooooo, you suck!"
But, five years from now, it'll be "It's all good! (even though you screwed us 5 years ago)"?

Sure...hurr durr..."time heals all wounds"... but when the folks that boo him today are cheering him in 5 years, they will look no less dumb.
It’s 100% time and only time, you’re correct.

They will eventually cheer for him at some point, he’ll be welcomed back when he retires, etc etc.

PC will make the NCAAs again, people will move on, and GT returning in future years won’t have all this attention and hatred.
Last edited by Rhody15 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

GO HOYAS!!!!!!
3 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Nope, I can confidently say I would not feel and react the same way at all. I'm not saying I'd be rooting for the guy since he left for a team in the same conference, but coaches leave all the time. It's part of the deal. I'd never get all that worked up about the "how it happened" part of it. People entertain new jobs while they are still employed at their current job. Basketball coaches are no different.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

adam914 wrote: 3 months ago

Nope, I can confidently say I would not feel and react the same way at all. I'm not saying I'd be rooting for the guy since he left for a team in the same conference, but coaches leave all the time. It's part of the deal. I'd never get all that worked up about the "how it happened" part of it. People entertain new jobs while they are still employed at their current job. Basketball coaches are no different.
Nice so there’s 1 liar.

“Coaches leave all the time” but it’s not the same situation at places.

How it happens is a big part of the emotion in it.
0 x
Go Rhody
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 months ago
adam914 wrote: 3 months ago

Nice so there’s 1 liar.

“Coaches leave all the time” but it’s not the same situation at places.

How it happens is a big part of the emotion in it.
I know this is going to be very hard for you to believe, but you actually don't know everything about everyone and what they think or how they feel.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Were the fans seriously chanting F--- Ed Cooley!" ? LOL. And the same fans will cheer him in a few years? So ridiculous. How do you explain that?

"Yeah, a few years years ago, he screwed us and left, so I chanted 'F--- Ed Cooley!" at the top of my lungs, but I'm cheering him today for everything he did for us." :lol:
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 months ago Were the fans seriously chanting F--- Ed Cooley!" ? LOL. And the same fans will cheer him in a few years? So ridiculous. How do you explain that?

"Yeah, a few years years ago, he screwed us and left, so I chanted 'F--- Ed Cooley!" at the top of my lungs, but I'm cheering him today for everything he did for us." :lol:
You nailed it, yes.

Agree with it or not, this is most likely what will, and probably should, happen.

It’s the first time he’s back, people still incredibly pissed, not thinking straight.

As time passes they’ll realize he built the program to what it is now and will appreciate it.
0 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RF1 wrote: 3 months ago I think you have to give Tom Penders much credit for scheduling URI after he left. The man only coached here for two seasons but agreed to several (3) separate home and home OOC series while at Texas and Houston. The GW conference return games were mandated by the A-10 so I don't really count them. Does anyone think that a program like Texas would have done two separate home and home series coming to RI on two occasions if Penders was not the head coach that made out the schedule?

While Skinner did return to Kingston, I personally don't think he did URI any big favor. He extorted two home games for his single RC visit at a time when BC was desperate to get some local OOC games with reduced travel as the program had just joined the ACC in 2005.
To your point about Texas, the last time we played them it was a buy game
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 months ago Were the fans seriously chanting F--- Ed Cooley!" ? LOL. And the same fans will cheer him in a few years? So ridiculous. How do you explain that?

You nailed it, yes.

Agree with it or not, this is most likely what will, and probably should, happen.

It’s the first time he’s back, people still incredibly pissed, not thinking straight.

As time passes they’ll realize he built the program to what it is now and will appreciate it.
That's a new one on me...that people "should be incredibly pissed, not thinking straight." Like, that's the recommendation?
I know being pissed and not thinking straight happens, but since when is that ever what people "should be"?
Just because you're pissed...doesn't mean you're required to be stupid, too.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

They will eventually cheer for him at some point, he’ll be welcomed back when he retires, etc etc.

PC will make the NCAAs again, people will move on, and GT returning in future years won’t have all this attention and hatred.

Time may heal the wounds on the PC side and they may invite him back in the future, but if I'm Cooley there's no way I'd ever have anything to do with PC after today. The "where's your mistress" chant is way over the line and ends any potential future relationship.

It feels like there should be a happy medium between their degenerate fanbase and our Disney on ice crowd
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 months ago

Time may heal the wounds on the PC side and they may invite him back in the future, but if I'm Cooley there's no way I'd ever have anything to do with PC after today. The "where's your mistress" chant is way over the line and ends any potential future relationship.

It feels like there should be a happy medium between their degenerate fanbase and our Disney on ice crowd
Well at least they didn't commit the ultimate sin of criticizing student broadcasters!
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The Dominicans that run PC must have been extremely proud of the display of Catholic values exhibited by their students, alumni, and fans today at the AMP. They must be pleased that their teachings have left such an enduring mark. :P
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 months ago

Don’t think it’s over the line.

I mean, Cooley was the one who messed up. That’s alllll on him.

If anyone prefers our crowd over theirs, that person doesn’t know college basketball.

Give me those lunatics over our crowds any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I know a lot here stand on their moral high ground, but much prefer PCs crowd and environment to ours.
0 x
Go Rhody
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

I didn't realize the URI fanbase was as soft as puppy poo. Enjoy your orange slices and Capri Sun after todays game.
1 x
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

If Donaldson says it, you know it’s wrong.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 months ago I didn't realize the URI fanbase was as soft as puppy poo. Enjoy your orange slices and Capri Sun after todays game.
Lotta people stand on their moral high ground thinking they’re holier than thou.

Drives me f’n nuts.
1 x
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 months ago I didn't realize the URI fanbase was as soft as puppy poo. Enjoy your orange slices and Capri Sun after todays game.
Not me

Fuck Ed Cooley, Fuck you and fuck PC

Where's his g'damn mistress?
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 months ago
Not me

And fuck you too! God damn, thank God there are a few of you out there.
Look, I'm not big on the chants, but I am big on students being students, and letting them create a hornets nest.
If part of that is some less than creative, potentially profane taunts, so be it.
The chants today were 99.9% students... the same kids standing outside the arena four hours before the tip.
Some here will have something to say, I happen to think that's incredible.
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 months ago
Not me

Look, I'm not big on the chants, but I am big on students being students, and letting them create a hornets nest.
If part of that is some less than creative, potentially profane taunts, so be it.
The chants today were 99.9% students... the same kids standing outside the arena four hours before the tip.
Yeah sports hate is good fun!
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 months ago
Not me

You’re absolutely right it’s incredible, people here who have something to say about the chants just don’t understand a great college basketball environment.

I’ll always say Fuck PC, but you’re probably one of the best and intelligent posters here, so won’t say fuck you.

…With that being said I hope you lose the rest of your games by 30.
0 x
Go Rhody