1/20 | Dayton | 12:30PM (USA)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Re: 1/20 | Dayton | 12:30PM (USA)

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 months ago
rambone 78 wrote: 3 months ago Why is UConn so good?

Because they play some serious defense without letup.

Anyone who watched his practices here could see it.

Defense wins games. We dont play any. What do we do at practice? Play canasta?

Those here who think Bilau would make a huge difference are full of it. We need a lot more than just him.

We have a team that collectively could care less about playing defense. Exactly the opposite of Dan's teams.

He would rip this group a new one 24 7 until they get it
"People" what people? Me?

"Huge" difference

Interesting. Never f'n said that.

What people and it's just me saying the fuckin obvious. He would make us better. See PC game for example. Why do we have to act like he never existed!? I'm just wishing he could help us that's all! You people are insane. I've never in my life seen so much resistance to the desire to want a good player to play. Same way when I was hoping Green would get eligible. Bizzarro world around here.
Not one person has said Bilau wouldn't help. No one is saying he's never existed. He's a solid big. If Bilau could be in great shape and play 25+ minutes a night, I think he could make a difference for this team, But even when he's healthy, he can't play big minutes. We could have used him more against PC, but guess what? He couldn't play big minutes.... Part of being the "best big" is availability.. I've said several times that I feel bad for the kid. It sucks that he can't get healthy. Archie said the chances of him playing again this year are slim. I think most of us have accepted that Bilau will either be out or will play 15 minutes if he does play. For those reasons, he's never going to make a big difference for this team. It sucks, but that's where he is right now.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

ElmCityRhody wrote: 3 months ago
Joe95 wrote: 3 months ago Always wright is not an A10 player, he should be gone next year and Tyson brown is also probably following suit.

Amen
Remember having guys like Fatts and Jarvis come off the bench? I think he's a super nice kid with a great attitude, but he's not an A10-level guard. My guess is Archie will bring in an immediate impact guard. We can't rely on Hammond as a freshman. A veteran point that can drop 10-15 a game and defend would be great. Of course, a million teams will be looking for that, though.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Guess what? THESE are Archie's players. He picked them. Is there a single holdover from the David Cox era? Maybe Weston?

Last year, when we had a complete roster turnover, Archie could get a pass. Because he was late in choosing players and had to pick whatever was available. This past off season, he had a lot to choose from, and he chose THESE guys. Some of them were highly rated. So, you guys think a roster turnover is to be expected again?
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 months ago
Joe95 wrote: 3 months ago Always wright is not an A10 player, he should be gone next year and Tyson brown is also probably following suit.

Amen
Remember having guys like Fatts and Jarvis come off the bench? I think he's a super nice kid with a great attitude, but he's not an A10-level guard. My guess is Archie will bring in an immediate impact guard. We can't rely on Hammond as a freshman. A veteran point that can drop 10-15 a game and defend would be great. Of course, a million teams will be looking for that, though.
If we don't rely on Ben as a freshman, he'll be playing elsewhere in '25-'26. On the flip side, if he's REALLY good, there's also a good chance of that. I wonder if we'll ever see a 4 year player again. That's today's landscape for most mids.
2 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 months ago

Amen
If we don't rely on Ben as a freshman, he'll be playing elsewhere in '25-'26. On the flip side, if he's REALLY good, there's also a good chance of that. I wonder if we'll ever see a 4 year player again. That's today's landscape for most mids.
When was the last time we were pounded two games in a row like that? Awful. Shame on me for not putting $ on Dayton. Talk about a missed opportunity.
2 x
HobbyBurley
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HobbyBurley »

We forced 4 turnovers vs the Bonnies and 2 today. 6 forced turnovers in two games is actually incredible.

Dayton shot better % wise from 3 (16/27) at 59% than the field (33/59) at 56%. Good stuff. We’ve gotta be in the 300’s in defensive metrics after these last two games.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Amen
Not totally out on Ways. He's had his good games. He is at least, a really good athlete. Don't think he's a lost cause. He is very athletic. I'd feel differently if it wasn't just his second year where he has only focused on basketball.

We maybe can rely on Hammond though.... the dude can score and push the pace.

Luis is just way too calculating. He doesn't push the pace at all and that has hurt us big time at times. Then Ways sometimes gets us going, he just can't score. Hammond could come in and be the balance between the two. He will limit turnovers I know that.

Brown should transfer. He has zero upside. I'm guessing Bilau will leave, so I hope we get someone like him. 6'10+ solid big.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Amen
I think Hammond will be a great piece, but like any player, he will need some time to adjust to the D1 level. I expect him to have a similar season as Cam. He'll come off the bench early but will be a starter by an A10 player. But it depends on who comes back or who we bring on.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

First two years it’ll be a roster shake down/development. That’s the plan and that’s just how it is.
2 x
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

It's simple actually.

If Archie doesn't bring in enough talent then in a couple years he's gone and we get to do this all over again.

Nothing is guaranteed in this business.

Patience is great but I dont have forever to see another NCAA tourney team.

The deck is stacked against us and it might get even worse.

When the big shakeup comes URI is likely to be left out.

Well it's nice to have some good memories along with the "what ifs" this program has had.
2 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 months ago First two years it’ll be a roster shake down/development. That’s the plan and that’s just how it is.
It's hard to be patient, but this is probably the correct macro view.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 months ago First two years it’ll be a roster shake down/development. That’s the plan and that’s just how it is.
I don't think it happens "the way it used to" any more
0 x
BruceW
Michael Andersen

Unread post by BruceW »

What I didn’t understand. When the second half started we had Brown, Fuchs, Montgomery, House and Kortright. Zeb is playing with zero confidence. Brown must have butter on his fingers. Seemingly every time someone throws a pass towards him he turns it over more then making a play. Green today looked complacent. But as an overall critical assessment. The blame is on Miller. Enough already with not calling him out. For goodness sakes the man took a year off to “regain” his edge. From what I have seen from Miller. He is not our answer. The man is being paid way too much money to not DEMANDING certain requirements from his team. And in my opinion I think Thorr is getting very nervous. Bruce
Last edited by BruceW 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Amen
Not totally out on Ways. He's had his good games. He is at least, a really good athlete. Don't think he's a lost cause. He is very athletic. I'd feel differently if it wasn't just his second year where he has only focused on basketball.

We maybe can rely on Hammond though.... the dude can score and push the pace.

Luis is just way too calculating. He doesn't push the pace at all and that has hurt us big time at times. Then Ways sometimes gets us going, he just can't score. Hammond could come in and be the balance between the two. He will limit turnovers I know that.

Brown should transfer. He has zero upside. I'm guessing Bilau will leave, so I hope we get someone like him. 6'10+ solid big.
Hammond is lighting quick but I do worry about his lack of shooting at the next level. I hope he really works on that before he comes here. But he's going to be our best playmaker the second he comes here. And although he's small, he finds ways to score amongst the bigs.

Something Hammond and Farell both do very well is make an impact on the defensive end. They cause turnovers. They draw charges. They do the dirty work for their teams. We seriously lack that on our roster this year.

Regarding Ways, I just think we can get a better junior guard than him. I see guards all around the country at all levels that can score. Ways is so limited on offense but maybe he makes a jump. We definitely need it.

Archie made it sound like Brown improved the most during the offseason so he still could get better. He's a good defender but there is no reason he should play over Fuchs and Fou.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

BruceW wrote: 3 months ago What I didn’t understand. When the second half started we had Brown, Fuchs, Montgomery, House and Kortright. Zeb is playing with zero confidence. Brown must have butter on his fingers. Seemingly every time someone throws a pass towards him he turns it over more then making a play. Green today looked complacent. But as an overall critical assessment. The blame is on Miller. Enough already with not calling him out. For goodness sakes the man took a year off to “regain” his edge. From what I have seen from Miller. He is not our answer. The man is being paid way too much money to not DEMANDING certain requirements from his team. And in my opinion I think Thorr is getting very nervous. Bruce
I think Zek had to play because Dayton is long and athletic, and we have no other wings. Weston is hurt. I think he played Brown because he was the only one that somewhat slowed down Holmes in the first half. But, he's horrendous on offense.

I was fine with him trying something new to start the second, but it didn't matter. It didn't matter who was out there. We got outplayed, outcoached, and outclassed yet again.

I still believe in Archie. 3-1 in our next four is critical.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rhodylocal
Jeff Kent

Unread post by rhodylocal »

Just gonna take time. Archie has been saying all along this team is fragile.
0 x
Dan Hurley 2012-2018:
Year 1: 8-21 3-13 T–14th
Year 2:14-18 5-11 10th
Year 3:23-10 13-5 T-2nd NIT 2nd RD
Year 4:17-15 9-9 7th
Year 5:25-10 13-5 T-3rd NCAA T
Year 6:26-8 15-3 1st NCAA T

Archie Miller 2022-?:
Year 1:9-22 5-13 14th
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Can't believe I'm saying this, because I'm not a fan of it...but they gotta try something else on D. Like, there has to be some impediment to the other team's scoring, at least once in a while. At least if you have no talent on D but have people running around helter skelter man to man, you might get beat/burnt a number of times, but it would look better than this. It's like the current D only guards a 5 foot strip across the court. They guard at 5 feet below the free throw line and 5 feet up off the baseline. That 5 foot strip all across the court. I had more steals in my living room today. In addition to not looking very useful...it's starting to look kinda stupid now, too.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I think Hammond will be a great piece, but like any player, he will need some time to adjust to the D1 level. I expect him to have a similar season as Cam. He'll come off the bench early but will be a starter by an A10 player. But it depends on who comes back or who we bring on.
I want him starting from day 1. He's a leader and he busts his ass on defense, both things that we're lacking right now.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Something Hammond and Farell both do very well is make an impact on the defensive end. They cause turnovers. They draw charges.
Until the pack line happens
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Biggest takeaway from the last two games is this defense sucks. Open lanes for layups, open 3pt shots. Never turning the offense over. Never seen a worse defensive effort as I have the last two games.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 3 months ago Biggest takeaway from the last two games is this defense sucks. Open lanes for layups, open 3pt shots. Never turning the offense over. Never seen a worse defensive effort as I have the last two games.
Right...not even enough effort to make it look like you're getting beat. To get beat, you have to compete.
This just seems like aimless shuffling around at half speed.
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

jcru wrote: 3 months ago In real life, people don't work for free. Especially not in this economy. People work multiple jobs, but they do it to get paid, so they can live the lifestyle they feel like they are entitled to.

What happens when Team A has a bunch of players who are getting paid to show up to "work" everyday, and Team B has basically a bunch of volunteers playing for them?

Then, please act surprised when Team B "quits" in the middle of the game because they have absolutely no motivation to play harder.

I think the days of Coaches making 3 mil and the players making nothing are coming to a close. Even the top teams are going to have to bring down that coach's salary to make sure they can pay their players. Over the summer, Tom Izzo, made a comment about paying players out of his salary if he had to, that coincided beautifully with the same week we announced we weren't going to pay for players this year because it was a waste of resources.

Tom Brady used to take a reduced salary so that the team could afford to buy other players to fill the roster.
Jcru, I think your point above regarding team A vs team B is compelling. It’s something I haven’t considered and I am doubtful - for now - that it is happening with this Rhody team but then, how the heck would I know ?

College basketball and the modern players exist in a different realm today with NIL and the portal so a different mindset sooner or later should not be out of the question.

Thanks for making me think.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Archie's staff deserves a lot of criticism. What do they with the game videos? Don't they go over every flaw again and again with advice on corrective action? So why all the standing around watching the game, all the lazy, thoughtless passes???
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 months ago
Something Hammond and Farell both do very well is make an impact on the defensive end. They cause turnovers. They draw charges.
Until the pack line happens
Maybe it’s time for a presser comment, packline? We don’t do that here…….obviously…..
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Obie, this team is lacking in talent. The mental aspect of this lack of talent is clear also.

It doesn't excuse the coach, he brought them in.

Its trial and error it seems...with the emphasis on the error.

He's got a couple of more years to fix it, or he's gone.

That's the bottom line.
.paying a guy 8.5 mil for 5 years to suck ain't good that's for sure.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Rhodyg wrote: 3 months ago
DeanDome88 wrote: 3 months ago It would have taken a win vs the Bonnies to have me possibly jump on the Rhody bandwagon this season. They looked so bad losing against weak teams in the Ryan Center that I had a hard time believing that adding David Green would make enough of a difference for Rhody to be a good team this season. I do see a handful of players that give me hope for the future. It will be interesting next season with a true point guard. I trust Archie to be able to mold Hammond into a very good possibly great player. We do not need another veteran point totally new to our system to show him the ropes.
All the kids you may have hope for in the future are gone power 5 schools next season, (Estevez, Foumena), I will be happy if i’m wrong. That is the reality of college basketball. We are a feeder program now. Had we had the transfer portal when Jimmy Baron was here, perhaps he would have went to Duke after he hit 8 3’s at Cameron.
They can either be the focal point of our team next year or be a rotation piece at a high major with the risk of getting recruited over every season. I think we will keep Fuchs and Cam. Fou may go as he doesn't seem to be Archie's favorite player but we'll see. The staff and donors know that teams will pursue our young pieces. A smart AD/coach will prepare for that. If Archie loses them and we have to start from scratch again, that's totally unacceptable. We put in the $$ to prevent that from happening.
Just asking, who is the “we” to out money in? Anyone feel like parking fees?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 3 months ago Obie, this team is lacking in talent. The mental aspect of this lack of talent is clear also.

It doesn't excuse the coach, he brought them in.

Its trial and error it seems...with the emphasis on the error.

He's got a couple of more years to fix it, or he's gone.

That's the bottom line.
.paying a guy 8.5 mil for 5 years to suck ain't good that's for sure.
As we have seen, its more mental than talent. No one a week ago felt like talent was a problem anymore.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

DeanDome88 wrote: 3 months ago It would have taken a win vs the Bonnies to have me possibly jump on the Rhody bandwagon this season. They looked so bad losing against weak teams in the Ryan Center that I had a hard time believing that adding David Green would make enough of a difference for Rhody to be a good team this season. I do see a handful of players that give me hope for the future. It will be interesting next season with a true point guard. I trust Archie to be able to mold Hammond into a very good possibly great player. We do not need another veteran point totally new to our system to show him the ropes.
All the kids you may have hope for in the future are gone power 5 schools next season, (Estevez, Foumena), I will be happy if i’m wrong. That is the reality of college basketball. We are a feeder program now. Had we had the transfer portal when Jimmy Baron was here, perhaps he would have went to Duke after he hit 8 3’s at Cameron.
It's not a guarantee that all our good players will automatically leave. This is nonsense.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

A very large percentage of Archie's contract comes from ticket sales.

If we keep sucking no one will come to the games, meaning a huge loss of revenue to pay him, so URI takes a big hit on that deal.

That's not going to fly for long.

PRT, the mental part is just as important as the physical.
Thats a reason several of these transfers were from lower level programs.

Learning the packline takes mental skill just as much as the rest. These guys just dont have what it takes I guess

Archie has to know this by now, and adjust accordingly. Hasn't done it yet..
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

It's not a guarantee that all our good players will automatically leave. This is nonsense.
Is there a GM yet?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

The talent level is a concern - doesn’t matter how great coaching is if you don’t have talent. We didn’t make up ground against their B and C teams.

Compete level is still a massive issue. Tough thing to coach.

Look these were our toughest two games coming back to back. No one in their right mind thought we’d win either but the way we were just abused is concerning.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Tossed about like rag dolls on the road again...
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Sounds like Archie wishes he was back at Dayton after today :lol:

0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

So glad I went skiing today and didn’t watch this debacle.
0 x
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

I guess I can show up 15 minutes early Wednesday night and get a hot dog and see the opening tip.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Let's hope Archie talks about us in such glowing terms soon.
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 3 months ago Thanks for making me think.
I'm here for you, Drums.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

RIFan wrote: 3 months ago So glad I went skiing today and didn’t watch this debacle.
I was taking a winter nap. 🥱
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

damram wrote: 3 months ago I guess I can show up 15 minutes early Wednesday night and get a hot dog and see the opening tip.
An $8.99 boiled hot dog?
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

adam914 wrote: 3 months ago Sounds like Archie wishes he was back at Dayton after today :lol:

We want to see Archie talking about a Rhody top 25 team.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 months ago A very large percentage of Archie's contract comes from ticket sales.

If we keep sucking no one will come to the games, meaning a huge loss of revenue to pay him, so URI takes a big hit on that deal.

That's not going to fly for long.

PRT, the mental part is just as important as the physical.
Thats a reason several of these transfers were from lower level programs.

Learning the packline takes mental skill just as much as the rest. These guys just dont have what it takes I guess

Archie has to know this by now, and adjust accordingly. Hasn't done it yet..
You r right about a large part of income is based on attendance, BUT, there is a guaranteed minimum. I I don’t remember for sure but I’m thinking it was around $400k
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Pack line……

1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

bigappleram wrote: 3 months ago The talent level is a concern - doesn’t matter how great coaching is if you don’t have talent. We didn’t make up ground against their B and C teams.

Compete level is still a massive issue. Tough thing to coach.

Look these were our toughest two games coming back to back. No one in their right mind thought we’d win either but the way we were just abused is concerning.
It’s a good point , we have basically a whole new team and you never know how it will gel when put together no matter how much film you watch

Let’s see where we go from here , we are 3-2 with only Dayton who looks untouchable so there will be a lot of winnable games , if we can go .500 in conference that will be a start hopefully
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 3 months ago Pack line……

Lol best defense all day.
1 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

You can't teach desire, effort and drive. You have to recruit it.

Zek is one of the lowest effort guys I have ever seen play defense. Body language is horrendous.
Stands straight up on D and just drifts around being a spectator.
Has the physical ability to lock a guy down, but just does not seem to want to.
Early on I thought he'd be my favorite player, now I kind of cringe when he is out there.

Consequently, a number of other players continuously turn their back to the ball on D.
They can't even see to help, leading to open drives.
The basic "ball-you-man" triangle most of us learned at 7 or 8 yrs old is a foreign concept.
Drives me nuts.
Archie is dealing with a lot of bad, potentially unbreakable, habits.
They seem to be in their own heads on the defensive end.
3 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Lmao to most of these posts.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

rhodyblue12 wrote: 3 months ago You can't teach desire, effort and drive. You have to recruit it.

Zek is one of the lowest effort guys I have ever seen play defense. Body language is horrendous.
Stands straight up on D and just drifts around being a spectator.
Has the physical ability to lock a guy down, but just does not seem to want to.
Early on I thought he'd be my favorite player, now I kind of cringe when he is out there.

Consequently, a number of other players continuously turn their back to the ball on D.
They can't even see to help, leading to open drives.
The basic "ball-you-man" triangle most of us learned at 7 or 8 yrs old is a foreign concept.
Drives me nuts.
Archie is dealing with a lot of bad, potentially unbreakable, habits.
They seem to be in their own heads on the defensive end.
There is alot hear I like regarding some of the basic fundamentals of those defensive techniques. I don’t much about packline, but these principles do not appear to be part of packline. No, I did not read the posted packline PDF.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

ramster wrote: 3 months ago Pack line……

Was on sports center- most national exposure Rhodys had in a while. 😨
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

section(105) wrote: 3 months ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 3 months ago The staff and donors know that teams will pursue our young pieces. A smart AD/coach will prepare for that. If Archie loses them and we have to start from scratch again, that's totally unacceptable. We put in the $$ to prevent that from happening.
Just asking, who is the “we” to out money in? Anyone feel like parking fees?
Can you imagine if they make all the cars pay for parking???
Two scenarios…
1) it drives ALL remaining fans away,,,
2) the SUCK of having to sit in traffic for an hour or more before the game just to get into the parking lot…
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

BTW, we aren't the only ones who see lack of effort and basically giving up when things aren't going well. The announcers noticed it too. They said when we came out of the locker room after halftime that the players had bad body language, looked dejected, were moving very slowly and had no energy. We're not imagining this.
1 x