1/20 | Dayton | 12:30PM (USA)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: 1/20 | Dayton | 12:30PM (USA)

Unread post by RF1 »

The only questions left for this game are does Dayton score 100 and how big the final margin will be.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Down 36 with just under 9 to play.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

And yes people

We miss Bilau

Sorry
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

All the good things that happened through our win streak were real, not a fluke. Something happened to switch this team around, but they have the potential to play well. We didn't beat high school teams. I'm not gonna pretend we are a top team, but I'm also not gonna act like our previous wins didn't happen.
3 x
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 months ago All the good things that happened through our win streak were real, not a fluke. Something happened to switch this team around, but they have the potential to play well. We didn't beat high school teams. I'm not gonna pretend we are a top team, but I'm also not gonna act like our previous wins didn't happen.
It's just like Mohegan

We felt good about ourselves then the moment something went wrong we just gave up immediately.
3 x
Rhodyg
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodyg »

Can we be completely serious, did you really expect anything less
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 months ago And yes people

We miss Bilau

Sorry
I don't think Bilau changes much. He played against Charleston, and we got destroyed just like this. He played against Brown, and we lost. There isn't one player that can come in and change things. We have a lot of holes on this roster. Archie got some nice pieces this year, but we need some of them to get older, and we still need to upgrade this roster. Hopefully, we can keep Cam, Fuchs, and Fou. It wouldn't surprise me to see House and Luis go play pro overseas. We'll see, but we will need more than Hammond and Farrell next year.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Don’t let anyone but House shoot.
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I really think Archie should seriously consider shitcaning the packline and just play straight up man defense like Dan did.

This group doesn't get it. To be competitive you have to play defense like you mean it. Like has been said "defense travels" and you're in almost every game, again like Dan's teams.

Play pressure D, turn teams over and you get instant offense, which again would help big time.
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

RF1 wrote: 3 months ago
jcru wrote: 3 months ago Maybe instead of paying Archie 2.5 mil a year, we could get David Cox back for $750k a year and just BUY an all star team with the rest of the money.

If you are going to reference his salary, at least get it right. Miller is probably at about $1.5M for this season.
Maybe instead of paying Archie 1.5 mil a year, we could get David Cox back for $750k a year and just BUY an all star team with the rest of the money.
6 x
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

Well, at least I’m not all stressed out.
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Archie needs to do some sol searching. This team is extremely soft and has zero resistance to adversity. You can't teach effort, but you can demand it. Have they tuned him out, because these last 2 games has shown minimal effort right from the opening tap. We may be in for some roster turnover again next year. Get some kids in here that leave it all on the floor win or lose. Archie has his work cut out for him.
3 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

6 starters @ 100k per year and 2 great sixth men at @ 75k a year ought to by us something that doesn't get blown out by 40 pts and have 100 pts dropped on, no matter who the coach is. Cox just needs to be his "team manager" self.
1 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

It would have taken a win vs the Bonnies to have me possibly jump on the Rhody bandwagon this season. They looked so bad losing against weak teams in the Ryan Center that I had a hard time believing that adding David Green would make enough of a difference for Rhody to be a good team this season. I do see a handful of players that give me hope for the future. It will be interesting next season with a true point guard. I trust Archie to be able to mold Hammond into a very good possibly great player. We do not need another veteran point totally new to our system to show him the ropes.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 months ago

We miss Bilau

Sorry
I don't think Bilau changes much. He played against Charleston, and we got destroyed just like this. He played against Brown, and we lost. There isn't one player that can come in and change things. We have a lot of holes on this roster. Archie got some nice pieces this year, but we need some of them to get older, and we still need to upgrade this roster. Hopefully, we can keep Cam, Fuchs, and Fou. It wouldn't surprise me to see House and Luis go play pro overseas. We'll see, but we will need more than Hammond and Farrell next year.
Yeah he was clearly our best big and when he was playing we got less Brown/Fuchs suck. He didn't have by far the best BPM for no reason. I don't get why you are all so willfully blind about how positive an impact he made? Charleston was his only so-so game because he was hurt. And look it is frustrating that he is so injury ridden, but any objective observer can tell he easily outplayed them. That was a universal feeling until after he was hurt again.

It wouldn't fix everything, but he would have helped for sure. We have serious mental issues.

What do you mean one player can't change things? We don't beat Yale without Bilau, we don't go on a 4 game win streak without Green.

Archie has to figure out how to get these guys to not lay down and get abused like this the moment adversity strikes. It's unreal.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Getting outscored by walk ons

Can I see dubs ???
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Hey we only lost by 34 today. Improvement!
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Before the Bonnies game, I was looking forward to the FU game....
0 x
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

Not Mike Powell wrote: 3 months ago Pet peeve of mine is looking at the 6 packs of gum Archie has lined up on the scorer’s table.
Since when did URI sign a brand deal with Ice Breakers? Why does he need 6 packs of them?
2 x
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

195 points against in last 80 mins and outscored by 71….Dan Hurley would never
2 x
Clapton is God
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Well that was fun!
2 x
Mobley was fouled.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 months ago I really think Archie should seriously consider shitcaning the packline and just play straight up man defense like Dan did.

This group doesn't get it. To be competitive you have to play defense like you mean it. Like has been said "defense travels" and you're in almost every game, again like Dan's teams.

Play pressure D, turn teams over and you get instant offense, which again would help big time.
Bone, screw the D all together. Let’s go full on Paul Westhead!

Find 5 3 point shooters, rain 3’s all game and screw the D. At least it will be more entertaining!

Run and shoot the 3 after misses and makes! Then run and shoot some more!

:lol:
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

We lost when the first pass 3 seconds in was intercepted

I literally think the whole team went "here we go again" in that moment and gave up.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Better defense would help prevent blowouts like the last game and this one. Prospective recruits see this and think why come here to get slaughtered against good teams?

There is too much dead weight on this team. You would think there are at least 5 or 6 guys who are committed to play tough defense, enough to at least keep games closer than this embarassment.

Evidently not. There's a reason we dont have enough talent. Too many lower level transfers who disappear when the going gets tough.

Who Archie brings in next season will tell us whether or not this program will become more relevant. This crap can't continue much longer.

Its evident Archie can still coach. What's not, though, is whether he can recruit the talent needed. The 2 coming in look like upgrades, but LOT more is needed and soon.
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 months ago We lost when the first pass 3 seconds in was intercepted

I literally think the whole team went "here we go again" in that moment and gave up.
Sure felt like it.

We need the tenacious D of Hurley years back, quick. And the pack line isn't helping.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 months ago

We miss Bilau

Sorry
Yeah he was clearly our best big and when he was playing we got less Brown/Fuchs suck. He didn't have by far the best BPM for no reason. I don't get why you are all so willfully blind about how positive an impact he made? Charleston was his only so-so game because he was hurt. And look it is frustrating that he is so injury ridden, but any objective observer can tell he easily outplayed them. That was a universal feeling until after he was hurt again.

It wouldn't fix everything, but he would have helped for sure. We have serious mental issues.

What do you mean one player can't change things? We don't beat Yale without Bilau, we don't go on a 4 game win streak without Green.

Archie has to figure out how to get these guys to not lay down and get abused like this the moment adversity strikes. It's unreal.
He means that a rotational front court player isn’t going to make a difference in games they lost by 35 and 34 to teams that are much better than them. I like Bilau, but cmon. They are what they are. They will win a bunch of games at home and lose a bunch on the road.
0 x
Rhodyram99
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhodyram99 »

ram1980 wrote: 3 months ago Archie needs to do some sol searching. This team is extremely soft and has zero resistance to adversity. You can't teach effort, but you can demand it. Have they tuned him out, because these last 2 games has shown minimal effort right from the opening tap. We may be in for some roster turnover again next year. Get some kids in here that leave it all on the floor win or lose. Archie has his work cut out for him.
The level of effort (lack thereof) when down is concerning with this team. No way Rhody should be losing by this much in back to back games. Absolutely no fight in this team. Something is off.
1 x
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

Always wright is not an A10 player, he should be gone next year and Tyson brown is also probably following suit.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

RamStock wrote: 3 months ago

He means that a rotational front court player isn’t going to make a difference in games they lost by 35 and 34 to teams that are much better than them. I like Bilau, but cmon. They are what they are. They will win a bunch of games at home and lose a bunch on the road.
Yeah I know what he means. I wasn't saying he would fix our problems, but it would help to have our best center.
0 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

Joe95 wrote: 3 months ago Always wright is not an A10 player, he should be gone next year and Tyson brown is also probably following suit.
Always wright provides nothing on offense.
0 x
JFrech21
Jeff Kent

Unread post by JFrech21 »

Bassy wouldn’t sniff the court for this team. We are too deep.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

We miss Bilau

Sorry

Tyson Brown was the best big man against Yale. Bilau was fine, but we won that game, going small and playing faster. My point about Bilau is he's an old, injury-prone big man. He's not this huge difference-maker and we just need to accept that. And when I say there isn't one player who is going to come in and change things, I'm saying there isn't a player sitting on our bench right now who will come in and be our savior... It's on the guys that are playing now. Green was a great addition, but he's back now, and teams have figured out how to defend him better.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Maybe we are on the 5 year plan?

Even Dan took 5 years to win here.

However with the transfer rules as they are now, teams can get better faster with the right players.

We can't I guess. But the bigger concern is can we keep our best players from bailing?

If they do, we are fucked. And that's putting it nicely.
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

All you need to know about our defensive effort today is this: Dayton had 2 turnovers all game. Yes, 2.
5 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Tyson Brown was the best big man against Yale. Bilau was fine, but we won that game, going small and playing faster. My point about Bilau is he's an old, injury-prone big man. He's not this huge difference-maker and we just need to accept that. And when I say there isn't one player who is going to come in and change things, I'm saying there isn't a player sitting on our bench right now who will come in and be our savior... It's on the guys that are playing now. Green was a great addition, but he's back now, and teams have figured out how to defend him better.
Archie himself and everyone in the game thread unanimously agreed Bilau was the difference in a win and a loss in that game. His defense, passing etc. Tyson happened to make lay ups that game lol

You're just sick of Bilau's injury proeness I get it. It's frustrating.

It would be nice to one day have a roster under Archie that is healthy and everyone is available. One and a half years in and it hasn't happened once.
0 x
Rhodyg
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodyg »

DeanDome88 wrote: 3 months ago It would have taken a win vs the Bonnies to have me possibly jump on the Rhody bandwagon this season. They looked so bad losing against weak teams in the Ryan Center that I had a hard time believing that adding David Green would make enough of a difference for Rhody to be a good team this season. I do see a handful of players that give me hope for the future. It will be interesting next season with a true point guard. I trust Archie to be able to mold Hammond into a very good possibly great player. We do not need another veteran point totally new to our system to show him the ropes.
All the kids you may have hope for in the future are gone power 5 schools next season, (Estevez, Foumena), I will be happy if i’m wrong. That is the reality of college basketball. We are a feeder program now. Had we had the transfer portal when Jimmy Baron was here, perhaps he would have went to Duke after he hit 8 3’s at Cameron.
2 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 months ago All the good things that happened through our win streak were real, not a fluke. Something happened to switch this team around, but they have the potential to play well. We didn't beat high school teams. I'm not gonna pretend we are a top team, but I'm also not gonna act like our previous wins didn't happen.
It's just like Mohegan

We felt good about ourselves then the moment something went wrong we just gave up immediately.
This is exactly the marker of an immature team. This is why they have no ability to come from behind - ex Yale and St. Joes, both home games. It is also why they play so poorly on the road. Immaturity sometimes improves with more game experience, but when URI fell behind drastically in the Northwestern game, they showed some ability to close a big gap. But now some 14 games later we see with SBU and Dayton falling behind at the start of game is not diminished, the deficit just climbs and climbs.
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

In real life, people don't work for free. Especially not in this economy. People work multiple jobs, but they do it to get paid, so they can live the lifestyle they feel like they are entitled to.

What happens when Team A has a bunch of players who are getting paid to show up to "work" everyday, and Team B has basically a bunch of volunteers playing for them?

Then, please act surprised when Team B "quits" in the middle of the game because they have absolutely no motivation to play harder.

I think the days of Coaches making 3 mil and the players making nothing are coming to a close. Even the top teams are going to have to bring down that coach's salary to make sure they can pay their players. Over the summer, Tom Izzo, made a comment about paying players out of his salary if he had to, that coincided beautifully with the same week we announced we weren't going to pay for players this year because it was a waste of resources.

Tom Brady used to take a reduced salary so that the team could afford to buy other players to fill the roster.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Rhodyg wrote: 3 months ago
DeanDome88 wrote: 3 months ago It would have taken a win vs the Bonnies to have me possibly jump on the Rhody bandwagon this season. They looked so bad losing against weak teams in the Ryan Center that I had a hard time believing that adding David Green would make enough of a difference for Rhody to be a good team this season. I do see a handful of players that give me hope for the future. It will be interesting next season with a true point guard. I trust Archie to be able to mold Hammond into a very good possibly great player. We do not need another veteran point totally new to our system to show him the ropes.
All the kids you may have hope for in the future are gone power 5 schools next season, (Estevez, Foumena), I will be happy if i’m wrong. That is the reality of college basketball. We are a feeder program now. Had we had the transfer portal when Jimmy Baron was here, perhaps he would have went to Duke after he hit 8 3’s at Cameron.
They can either be the focal point of our team next year or be a rotation piece at a high major with the risk of getting recruited over every season. I think we will keep Fuchs and Cam. Fou may go as he doesn't seem to be Archie's favorite player but we'll see. The staff and donors know that teams will pursue our young pieces. A smart AD/coach will prepare for that. If Archie loses them and we have to start from scratch again, that's totally unacceptable. We put in the $$ to prevent that from happening.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Why is UConn so good?

Because they play some serious defense without letup.

Anyone who watched his practices here could see it.

Defense wins games. We dont play any. What do we do at practice? Play canasta?

Those here who think Bilau would make a huge difference are full of it. We need a lot more than just him.

We have a team that collectively could care less about playing defense. Exactly the opposite of Dan's teams.

He would rip this group a new one 24 7 until they get it
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Obadiah wrote: 3 months ago
It's just like Mohegan

This is exactly the marker of an immature team. This is why they have no ability to come from behind - ex Yale and St. Joes, both home games. It is also why they play so poorly on the road. Immaturity sometimes improves with more game experience, but when URI fell behind drastically in the Northwestern game, they showed some ability to close a big gap. But now some 14 games later we see with SBU and Dayton falling behind at the start of game is not diminished, the deficit just climbs and climbs.
It's unprecedented. Okay we were resilient to comeback against Yale...gave up for a month...resilient enough to overcome that then you lose back to back games 99-64 and 96-62?

Hard to get excited about anything if it's a coin flip on whether or not we show up.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 months ago He would rip this group a new one 24 7 until they get it
He would... except he wouldn't have to, because he wouldn't have Kenny Johnson picking his players for him. He'd have a bunch of players who could actually survive his practices since their first day of practice.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 3 months ago Why is UConn so good?

Because they play some serious defense without letup.

Anyone who watched his practices here could see it.

Defense wins games. We dont play any. What do we do at practice? Play canasta?

Those here who think Bilau would make a huge difference are full of it. We need a lot more than just him.

We have a team that collectively could care less about playing defense. Exactly the opposite of Dan's teams.

He would rip this group a new one 24 7 until they get it
"People" what people? Me?

"Huge" difference

Interesting. Never f'n said that.

What people and it's just me saying the fuckin obvious. He would make us better. See PC game for example. Why do we have to act like he never existed!? I'm just wishing he could help us that's all! You people are insane. I've never in my life seen so much resistance to the desire to want a good player to play. Same way when I was hoping Green would get eligible. Bizzarro world around here.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Our next coach, whoever and whenever that is, had better be really good at teaching defense.

This might be the worst two game stretch in the history of this program.

I should know. I've watched it for 50 plus years.
2 x
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 months ago Better defense would help prevent blowouts like the last game and this one. Prospective recruits see this and think why come here to get slaughtered against good teams?

There is too much dead weight on this team. You would think there are at least 5 or 6 guys who are committed to play tough defense, enough to at least keep games closer than this embarassment.

Evidently not. There's a reason we dont have enough talent. Too many lower level transfers who disappear when the going gets tough.

Who Archie brings in next season will tell us whether or not this program will become more relevant. This crap can't continue much longer.

Its evident Archie can still coach. What's not, though, is whether he can recruit the talent needed. The 2 coming in look like upgrades, but LOT more is needed and soon.
I’m not yet convinced that Archie can still coach. Coaching is getting more out of less talent and I haven’t seen that, except a handful of times, maybe. It’s coming up with game plans to counter the opponents strengths and exploit their weaknesses. It’s making adjustments to the games plan and personnel in game when things aren’t working. I’ve seen glimpses of good coaching but not enough. We can’t put all the blame on the players and we have to remember who brought them in.
2 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Any idea why Big Fou isn't getting more time? 9 min today, 5 points, 4 reb.
Fuchs and Brown combined for 47 min and only scored 6 points.

In a blowout, why not play Foumena the entire 2nd half?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

rhodyblue12 wrote: 3 months ago Any idea why Big Fou isn't getting more time? 9 min today, 5 points, 4 reb.
Fuchs and Brown combined for 47 min and only scored 6 points.

In a blowout, why not play Foumena the entire 2nd half?
Archie loves Fuchs and Browns horrendous defense
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

You make it sound like rambone is out there pulling a Tonya Harding on Bilau's knee every week.

The guy doesn't play because he's the prototypical big man with bad knees. That happens sometimes, someone is either big, tall, heavy, and they weren't born with the kind of reinforced knees that can take much more punishment than simply walking around. It's nobody's fault, that's just the way it is.

I remember Rod with his stories of Kenny Green barely surviving his time here at Rhody, despite his talent, because of his knees. "If it weren't for Kenny Green's knees, he would have played in the NBA" We heard him say that at least 20 times. That's the breaks.
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Joe95 wrote: 3 months ago Always wright is not an A10 player, he should be gone next year and Tyson brown is also probably following suit.

Amen
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

That was real bad. I am concerned but I am over the Dayton game. Nothing more to be said regarding that performance. Life is too short to extend the misery.

We have Fordham at home Wednesday. Let’s wake the F up and improve to 4-2! The season isn’t over yet.
1 x