1/17 | St. Bonaventure | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: 1/17 | St. Bonaventure | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by Jersey77 »

theblueram wrote: 3 months ago
bigappleram wrote: 3 months ago

Yes. Charter flights leave after the game.
Late game in way upstate NY to turn around and play an early game in Ohio on Saturday.
It makes too much sense to have gone straight to Ohio.
It's about an hour and a half flight to Dayton. They could leave on Saturday morning like 6am and get there before 8am.
I guess they could, but that seems to really be pushing it, especially being such a big game for us.
I would think for a 12:30 start on Saturday, they would fly in the day before and give the players some more time.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 months ago

Late game in way upstate NY to turn around and play an early game in Ohio on Saturday.
It's about an hour and a half flight to Dayton. They could leave on Saturday morning like 6am and get there before 8am.
I guess they could, but that seems to really be pushing it, especially being such a big game for us.
I would think for a 12:30 start on Saturday, they would fly in the day before and give the players some more time.
Do they normally drive to UMass the day before a game?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Probably not but depending on the start time and of course weather.

Also I know when they hired Archie, they promised more charter flights but is that always the case now and no commercial.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Also I know when they hired Archie, they promised more charter flights but is that always the case now and no commercial.
Pretty much. It's a 3 hour drive to Amherst. It's an hour and a half flight to Dayton.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Pretty much. It's a 3 hour drive to Amherst. It's an hour and a half flight to Dayton.
If that is the plan than oh well.
No excuses and I want the players to be fully rested and focused.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

So you want the team to wake up at 5am on a game day, take a bus and plane get to the arena 3 hours before the game and then perform well at noon? Cmon.

We are leaving tomorrow afternoon. They would never risk weather or putting players through the above itinerary on a game day. But coming back doesn’t make much sense especially when they have tutors, academic advisors and virtual learning tools to bridge the school gap.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

If that is the plan than oh well.
No excuses and I want the players to be fully rested and focused.
When did they land in Olean? Cause they sure weren't rested and they certainly weren't focused.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

So you want the team to wake up at 5am on a game day, take a bus and plane get to the arena 3 hours before the game and then perform well at noon? Cmon.

We are leaving tomorrow afternoon. They would never risk weather or putting players through the above itinerary on a game day. But coming back doesn’t make much sense especially when they have tutors, academic advisors and virtual learning tools to bridge the school gap.
School is not in session.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Yes. Charter flights leave after the game.
…you really think they would land at an airport 4.5 hours before they played a game? Surely you don’t.
1 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Lol saw this post right after I made mine.

Makes absolutely zero sense.
0 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 3 months ago

…you really think they would land at an airport 4.5 hours before they played a game? Surely you don’t.
What time do you think they arrive for a 7pm game in Amherst?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

BAR you make too much sense. ;)
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Based on last night, does it matter?
0 x
Port Charlotte Ram
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Port Charlotte Ram »

There has been a lot of speculation about whether zek is playing hurt. Was just wondering is that tape on his shoulder if so what kind of injury would that tape job help?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Port Charlotte Ram wrote: 3 months ago There has been a lot of speculation about whether zek is playing hurt. Was just wondering is that tape on his shoulder if so what kind of injury would that tape job help?
It could be anything. He's definitely been lightly rotating his left arm, seemingly to work out any tightness or discomfort. Taping just provides stability, just as it would with an ankle or any other joint.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 months ago
brady1 wrote: 3 months ago
reef wrote: 3 months ago Venning that huge load inside hurt us bad last night , more than he should have !
I don’t know for sure but I thought Fou actually played Venning really well and was shocked when Archie took him out and Venning went wild on us to end the half. Fou got Pt against their other big Brown in 2nd half blowout and I didn’t think he played Brown all that well.

Just another CYO take.

Get them ready for dayton Archie!

GO RHODY!
Fou was by far more comfortable in that game.

Seems like whenever Fuchs and Brown are struggling Fou comes out doing better than both.

I wonder if Fou didn't have so many bonehead plays he'd get more run. If he didn't take ill-advised shots and take the ball coast to coast Arch probably trusts him more.
You could be on to something there...
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Based on last night, does it matter?
Are we sure they came to Olean on Tues. Considering the way we looked -very tired and lethargic; Maybe we came in the day of the game? Is it standard practice at Rhody to come in the day before for all road games? Anyone know for sure?
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 months ago
Port Charlotte Ram wrote: 3 months ago There has been a lot of speculation about whether zek is playing hurt. Was just wondering is that tape on his shoulder if so what kind of injury would that tape job help?
It could be anything. He's definitely been lightly rotating his left arm, seemingly to work out any tightness or discomfort. Taping just provides stability, just as it would with an ankle or any other joint.
I noticed the tape on his left shoulder as well. I previously had rotator cuff issues and taping like that really helped. Still didn’t solve the problem but it did relieve the pain. Then again, I wasn’t playing basketball with the injury. It was very debilitating however, so rotator cuff or other shoulder issues is my best bet.
0 x
JFrech21
Jeff Kent

Unread post by JFrech21 »

KevanBoyles wrote: 3 months ago
I noticed the tape on his left shoulder as well. I previously had rotator cuff issues and taping like that really helped. Still didn’t solve the problem but it did relieve the pain. Then again, I wasn’t playing basketball with the injury. It was very debilitating however, so rotator cuff or other shoulder issues is my best bet.
They are flying out today.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

JFrech21 wrote: 3 months ago

Yep, of course they would.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Yup, everyone should know a team wouldn’t fly into the morning of.

Common sense.
0 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Common sense.
Why should everyone know this? When I flew private for meetings, I didn't fly the day before the meeting. I flew the day of, got off the plane, went to the meeting and then got back on the jet.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Common sense.
Why should everyone know this? When I flew private for meetings, I didn't fly the day before the meeting. I flew the day of, got off the plane, went to the meeting and then got back on the jet.

When you got to your meeting did they make you run 3 miles? That's one difference. :)
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Common sense.

When you got to your meeting did they make you run 3 miles? That's one difference. :)
No, but in the Army we flew into the Mojave and I can tell you we ran more than 3 miles after landing. :D
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Common sense.

Comparing a sit down meeting to a Divison 1 basketball game.

Got it, both exactly the same.
0 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Common sense.

Comparing a sit down meeting to a Divison 1 basketball game.

Got it, both exactly the same.
Actually, I'm comparing a bus ride to Amherst to a flight to Dayton. What's the difference?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 months ago

Yes.

As are 99% of other people here.

Just odd you turn off a game with players on our actual team, yet spend hours watching multiple high school games of mostly random teenagers.
It's really not that odd, but I know you're too stupid to get it. When we don't show up, and we get absolutely destroyed, and the Lakers, who I love, are on ABC, I put the Lakers on because our game is over. I watch high school games because I like to see how good our recruits are. For some reason, you are obsessed with me watching recruits. You won't stop talking about it and It's starting to creep me out. I've asked you to leave me alone a few times to the point where I had to block you. You still couldn't do it. I sit in 211. Let me know where you sit, and let's talk about it in person because I'm sick and fucking tired of you coming at me on here out of nowhere. I know you're a tough guy on here. I can't wait to see it in person.
I just do not understand it man, I don’t.

You watch so much tape of incoming freshman, yet don’t want to watch them when they’re actually in the game at URI?

You knew it was a blowout, so you had to have guessed Dubsky would most likely get in.

If I spent so much time watching our incoming high school kids, I would want to watch them play when they’re actually at our school, regardless of the score and whatever other favorite teams are on.
I have to agree 15, you do not understand it.
If you did you would stop badgering and stop the personal attacks.
But you don't.

It's a tough loss, as tough as they get for URI fans so it's very simply not the time to poke the bear as the saying goes.

I went to the URI WBB Game, watched the replay of the MBB game. I can certainly understand any URI fan turning off the game or changing the channel. Not much different from a Red Sox fan turning off the Game when they go down 17-1 in the 7th inning.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 months ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 3 months ago

I'm not saying I"'m gonna fight him; I'm saying I can't stand doing this with him anymore. The dude has been calling me out for years. I've tried blocking him. I've tried ignoring him. So now I'll try talking to him. But I know he won't do it.. That's not a surprise.
“I know you’re a tough guy on here. I can’t wait to see it in person.”

Uh, that sorta implies you wanna start shit in person.

I’m all set with talking to you in person, absolutely zero interest.

I’ll continue to respond to some of your stuff as I see fit like I do with many posters here, I know I hurt your feelings about the recruit stuff so I’ll stop with that.
Why do you only come on here and antagonize people? What's your deal?
Because he likes too.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 3 months ago Not a referendum on the season at all, BUT there were some issues that have been prevalent this season that reared their heads in a big way yesterday...

1.) Most important to me is the compete level. We were simply bullied and out toughed. Our guys looked like they wanted to take their ball and go home. Besides Green there are still elements of this team that are charmin soft when the going gets tough and need to step up their attitude and intensity. Foumena needs to not be that guy that spikes the ball in the end zone when his team is down 30 and he is getting abused on the other end. I hate that shit.

2.) Defense. Atrocious. We made their 2 bigs look like Chamberlain and Shaq. Different type players but to say that doesn't bode well in facing Holmes is an understatement. Banks came in shooting it at 20% and was lights out. Pride got 2-3 early open looks that got him going and should have been a focus of our scout. He went off from there. But how they just dominated inside is the biggest concern moving forward. I do believe if Cross had played for Umass they would have done serious damage against our inside players. Brown is the toughest but the least skilled, Fou and Fuchs are skilled

3.) Turnovers. Atrocious. For about the 4th or 5th time that I can remember a loose ball bounced right to Zek and he fumbled it leading to an easy basket for the opponent. I'm not sure how that happens once let alone multiple times. Many turnovers due to lack of focus and execution and not because of amazingly aggressive defense. We do not turn teams over so it is imperative we keep our own turnovers to a minimum. It's impossible to make up a gap if you keep giving away possessions and on top of that do little to create incremental opportunities for yourself by forcing them.

That said, I'm more of the mindset that it's a one off complete turd of a game versus a new trend line. Ball don't lie. They were due to have a big game after laying a stinker and we were due to come back to earth a bit after playing out of our skull at home for stretches against Umass.

I hope the team shows up for Archie and for our own mental health on Saturday. I can't take another one of those. It's very very rare that I turn the game off even if we are way down and it's over. I stopped watching with 5 minutes left and flipped to the Loyola v Umass game. That's how bad it was.
Good points BAR. I went to the URI WBB vs Fordham game so watched this game on ESPN+ Replay. Ouch.

I was at the URI-UMASS game and rewatched it on ESPN+ next day. At halftime the URI ESPN+ Reporter grabbed Kenny Johnson for a minute and asked about their offense being good in the first half and what did he think URI needed to do to improve that offense in the 2nd half? Kenny looked at him kind of funny and said "Offense is Offense, we need to improve our defense, play physical, play tough........" Not exact words but he basically dismissed offense.

What I saw was that URI's offense vs St Bona did not do their defense any favors.

Blocked shots: In 1st half announcer said Venning had broken his career hi in BS of 4 with 6 blocks and there was still about 6 minutes left in the 1st half!!! Bonnies had 8 blocks and we had zero blocks. Some of those blocked shots ended up in Bonnies racing down the court with easy layups or hi % shots beating the defense down the court. All 8 blocks were against our guards: Estevez 3, Green 2, Kortright 2, House 1.

Steals: Bonnies 9, URI 3

Turnovers: Bonnies 6, URI 20; Wright 4, Estevez 3, Brown 3, Green 3, Kortright, House, Montgomery, Dubsky and Stewart 1 each. Only Fuchs (17 min) and Foumena (18 min) had zero TOs

It seemed like the Blocks, Steals by Bonnies and the TO's by URI often led to breakaways, hi % shots and Bonnies players made easy baskets that led to even ore confidence for their players to hit most anything they thew up there. TO's enabled to let Banks get out of his season long slump and score 14 points with a game hi 7 assists.

Will be interesting to see how we do today at Dayton. Maybe a case of overconfidence having an unexpected 3-0 start. We beat UMASS by 12 but without Cross and we were extraordinarily hot with 14-23 3Ps 61%; House 5-7, Estevez 4-5 and Green 4-7. Maybe overconfident and got shell shocked in Olean falling behind so fast we didn't know what hit us.

Hopefully we look back at the Bonnies loss as a good omen - optimistic hat firmly in place :D :D
0 x