1/17 | St. Bonaventure | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Re: 1/17 | St. Bonaventure | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by Bos8 »

CamsRams wrote: 3 months ago
Thanks for sharing. Regardless of how you feel about the stats (u-rate etc)- The graphic is very impressive and must have taken some time/research to put together.
4 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

reef wrote: 3 months ago
Jersey77 wrote: 3 months ago
theblueram wrote: 3 months ago I checked the Bonnies board. LOL they at least posted about this game. They are in melt down mode over the FU loss. I didn't realize Schmidt has been there for 17 years. Damn. Oh, and he has never won a first round game in the NCAAT.
In 21-22 the Bonnies were pre-season unanimously selected #1 in the A10.
They had all-conference players: Lofton, Osu, and Holmes plus leading scorer Adaway, and double-digit scorer Welch.
Their starting 5 was loaded, but finished a disappointing 4th in the A10 and no NCAAT bid.
They did however make the NIT semis.
Yeah that was very surprising considering what they did the previous season , sometimes you just don’t know
Just looked back at their schedule from that season

They had a good OOC, but they choked it away in A-10 play. Another example of how weak the A-10 is now. 5 A-10 losses will knock you out.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

For those who were planning on listening.

0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 months ago For those who were planning on listening.

Wasn’t planning on listening, but watching, but I feel for the fans that don’t have ESPN plus. This is troubling that Varsity Sports can’t get it right.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Just seems to follow form after the ending of over the air traditional radio broadcasts. Would not be surprised to see no local audio broadcasts of away games in coming years.

While this specific case is weather related and for the safety of those that would have to travel, it is a continuation of a very troubling trend in coverage of URI hoops. It used to be that the Providence Journal had a dedicated beat writer for URI basketball that went to all games (home and away). The paper then stopped sending staff to many away games and instead used contract stringers. Now the paper does not even assign a 100% dedicated reporter to the program. Several years ago some of the local RI tv outlets (WNAC and Cox) used to televise games. No more. All games had been broadcast over the air on radio up until recently. It is becoming more difficult to follow the team for all but the hard core supporters that know where to find coverage and are willing to directly pay for some of it. This makes attracting casual fans and growing the fan base that much more difficult.
5 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

i will be watching but can they watch on tv and do the audio ?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RF1 wrote: 3 months ago

Just seems to follow form after the ending of over the air traditional radio broadcasts. Would not be surprised to see no local audio broadcasts of away games in coming years.

While this specific case is weather related and for the safety of those that would have to travel, it is a continuation of a very troubling trend in coverage of URI hoops. It used to be that the Providence Journal had a dedicated beat writer for URI basketball that went to all games (home and away). The paper then stopped sending staff to many away games and instead used contract stringers. Now the paper does not even assign a 100% dedicated reporter to the program. Several years ago some of the local RI tv outlets (WNAC and Cox) used to televise games. No more. All games had been broadcast over the air on radio up until recently. It is becoming more difficult to follow the team for all but the hard core supporters that know where to find coverage and are willing to directly pay for some of it. This makes attracting casual fans and growing the fan base that much more difficult.
Cox/Yurview games used to be the best.
0 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

A couple of posts on the A10 board about the game

https://www.basketballforum.com/threads ... es.694280/
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Radio was much more convenient. The app is a pain, especially if you’re driving home or to the game.
2 x
GO RAMS
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Is lack of sponsors the key no more over the air radio and local TV. Like their rate cards were just too high for sponsors?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

The Varsity app issues are obviously very real, but I don't think we can blame them for flights being canceled due to weather. :D
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

The Bonnies have been hot and cold, not sure which team we will get tonight.
I thought they would be the 2nd best team in the conference but haven't played to that level yet.

Venning is one of the best bigs in the conference, but I like our chances with 3 bodies to put on him and wear him down.
They do have some depth there with Brown coming off the bench.

Banks has not played well so far but they do have plenty of depth and scoring power at guard.

Essamvous may be in a sophomore slump, but not as good as his freshman season when he went by Yann Farell.

We are playing much better now as a team, and we now have the Green Machine.

Should be a great game and hopefully we come out on top.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I think we get Bonnies A game tonight. Students are back. Their defense was just very ugly. They are playing an undefeated team. We are no longer going to take teams by surprise... Bonnies are desperate for a win.

I want to emphasize that it's not the end of the world if we lose the next two games. Following the matchups with the Bonnies and Dayton, we have upcoming games against Fordham, at Gmason, vs. La Salle, and vs. Duquesne. I'm optimistic about going 3-1, possibly 4-0 in those games. Regardless of the outcome tonight, I'll be in a great mood. It's just refreshing to have games that truly matter again.
4 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 months ago Everyone knows Bilau will help if he is healthy. He's not. Archie basically said he's not going to play another minute this year.. I don't think it gets people upset, but I think it's time we all move on from the "we could really use Bilau this game" talk before every team we play. Green is a star. Fuchs is awesome. Brown is battling. Fou has his ups and downs but is a very intriguing big. We are playing the best basketball we have played in years lately, and Bilau hasn't played a second during this run. I hope Bilau can eventually have one healthy college season for his sake but I wouldn't bet on it.
Bilau will turn 24 before this season ends and is in his 5th year of college. Granted he'd still be eligible next year but with his injuries, age, and time in college there's a decent chance he's played his last game period, never mind having a whole healthy season. It's a shitty situation for him
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

come mon stevey.. we are not losing tonight

this is a revival !

hop on board !

Stevey can you feel it?
Love is everywhere

0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 months ago I think we get Bonnies A game tonight. Students are back. Their defense was just very ugly. They are playing an undefeated team. We are no longer going to take teams by surprise... Bonnies are desperate for a win.

I want to emphasize that it's not the end of the world if we lose the next two games. Following the matchups with the Bonnies and Dayton, we have upcoming games against Fordham, at Gmason, vs. La Salle, and vs. Duquesne. I'm optimistic about going 3-1, possibly 4-0 in those games. Regardless of the outcome tonight, I'll be in a great mood. It's just refreshing to have games that truly matter again.
Yeah I agree. Obviously I want to win these next two games, but I am more interested in seeing how we compete and stack up against the Bonnies and Dayton on the road, win or lose.
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 3 months ago I checked the Bonnies board. LOL they at least posted about this game. They are in melt down mode over the FU loss. I didn't realize Schmidt has been there for 17 years. Damn. Oh, and he has never won a first round game in the NCAAT.
Three tournaments in 15 chances is damn good for St. Bonaventure, especially with 1 win, even if it was in the play in game. From the 1978-79 season to when he got there in 2007 the program had been to one tournament and were still reeling from the 2003 eligibility scandal
0 x
Native
ARD

Unread post by Native »

article from Olean Times Herald

Some excerpts:

… the Reilly Center will welcome back its student section as classes started for the semester this week.

… “Rhode Island’s got a kid, Green, on a two-time transfer eligible four games ago and they’re 4-0. So he’s a huge key to what they’re doing. They’re shooting the ball really well. They’re defending really well in their four-game winning streak. They’re shooting 40% from 3s and almost 48% from the field and they’re out-rebounding teams and they’re defending. They’re doing everything you need to do to win games.” (quote from Bona’s Coach Schmidt)
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

adam914 wrote: 3 months ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 3 months ago I think we get Bonnies A game tonight. Students are back. Their defense was just very ugly. They are playing an undefeated team. We are no longer going to take teams by surprise... Bonnies are desperate for a win.

Yeah I agree. Obviously I want to win these next two games, but I am more interested in seeing how we compete and stack up against the Bonnies and Dayton on the road, win or lose.
Memo: we are winning
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

LoveThoseRams wrote: 3 months ago

Wasn’t planning on listening, but watching, but I feel for the fans that don’t have ESPN plus. This is troubling that Varsity Sports can’t get it right.
This isn't Varsity Network, this is Buffalo weather. If anyone was planning on listening because they don't have ESPN+, here is a link for what should be the St. Bonaventure radio call

https://gobonnies.com/watch/live
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ElmCityRhody wrote: 3 months ago i will be watching but can they watch on tv and do the audio ?
Probably not? They made it down to DC and were supposed to get a flight from DC to Buffalo but wouldn't be able to make it to Buffalo until after the game ended. I can't imagine they have a place in DC to set up all of their equipment in to broadcast and are probably already on the way home regardless
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 3 months ago

Cox/Yurview games used to be the best.
Disagree. They wouldn't broadcast road games, so we would have no option to watch tonight's game back in the Cox/Yurview days, and if you lived out of state, had satellite instead of Cox, or didn't have cable you'd also be shit out of luck even if they did broadcast games.

ESPN+ has been a massive win for all Rhody fans
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 3 months ago Is lack of sponsors the key no more over the air radio and local TV. Like their rate cards were just too high for sponsors?
It seems like all of the same sponsors, so I would lean towards no, especially considering FM advertising has probably never been cheaper when counting for inflation. It seems like every radio station/conglomerate is starved for content and dying for advertising revenue. Even if we didn't match with B101 anymore, I'm surprised if we couldn't retreat back to an AM station at the absolute worst. It seems like our athletic department really just decided it wanted nothing to do with over the air radio and I don't get it
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 months ago
Disagree. They wouldn't broadcast road games, so we would have no option to watch tonight's game back in the Cox/Yurview days, and if you lived out of state, had satellite instead of Cox, or didn't have cable you'd also be shit out of luck even if they did broadcast games.

ESPN+ is only good for the diehards that want to pay for it. Furthermore, URI's production of its home games on ESPN+ is low quality. The loss of local tv outlets very much hurts with less dedicated more casual fans in RI. With the loss of local tv and over the air radio, URI hoops doesn't even exist for them as they can neither see or hear it.
4 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Somebody get on Charley Pride as soon as he gets out of the locker room
1 x
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

Anyone hear anything on Luis's knee? He was clearly hurting against UMASS. Sure hope that isnt something that lingers for him.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

ESPN+ is only good for the diehards that want to pay for it. Furthermore, URI's production of its home games on ESPN+ is low quality. The loss of local tv outlets very much hurts with less dedicated more casual fans in RI. With the loss of local tv and over the air radio, URI hoops doesn't even exist for them as they can neither see or hear it.
Don't you have to pay for everything you watch these days?
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

spar wrote: 3 months ago Anyone hear anything on Luis's knee? He was clearly hurting against UMASS. Sure hope that isnt something that lingers for him.
Haven't heard but I assume he is good to go.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I misspoke, you are right that this isn't ideal for casual/non-fans. But Cox/Yurview sucked unless you were a very small class of people that lived in RI and had Cox that liked URI and weren't going to the home game they were broadcasting but still wanted to watch. How many people is that really? ESPN+ is absolutely a massive win for diehard Rhody fans everywhere, even if improvements can be made
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I misspoke, you are right that this isn't ideal for casual/non-fans. But Cox/Yurview sucked unless you were a very small class of people that lived in RI and had Cox that liked URI and weren't going to the home game they were broadcasting but still wanted to watch. How many people is that really? ESPN+ is absolutely a massive win for diehard Rhody fans everywhere, even if improvements can be made
How many games did Cox/Yurview broadcast per season? Certainly was not close to all of them.
Last edited by ramster 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

No one has Cox anymore, that shit is trash and would mean like 10 people could watch URI games.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 3 months ago

How many games did Cox/Yurview broadcast per season? Certainly was t close to all of them.
It looks like the 2021-22 season was the last time they broadcast games. They didn't broadcast any of our five neutral site games or 13 road games. They broadcast four of our home games.

It looks like for a few years before that any game on Cox/Yurview was also on ESPN+. The last time games were on Cox/Yurview without the ESPN+ broadcast was 2017-18. That year they broadcast five games. They were good for picking up a little of the slack for home games that weren't aired nationally but it's nothing like what we've got today
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 3 months ago

I hope so! But your track record of "NO DOUBT" predictions does not give me much confidence! :D We definitely got a shot though.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

KenPom gives the #167 (#161 NET) Rams a 20% chance of beating the #90 (#82 NET) Bonnies, with a projected final of 76-67.

Massey Ratings gives the #149 Rams a 25% chance of beating the #99 Bonnies, with a projected final of 73-66
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Would be a solid win. Let's get this one. Would set up a big game next Saturday.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 3 months ago come mon stevey.. we are not losing tonight

this is a revival !

hop on board !

Stevey can you feel it?
Love is everywhere

A few weeks ago I would think this was an absolute blowout. I'm feeling a lot more confident now. However, I know how tough it is to win on the road, and on paper, the Bonnies are very good. I know they haven't played their best basketball, and I hope that continues, but if they show up and give us their best, I don't like our chances.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

CamsRams wrote: 3 months ago
Made the "what"?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Factoid
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Despite 3-0, I am a bit skeptical about this Rams team against the Bonnies. SBU has strengths - 3 point and FT shooting - which are much better than URI. Moreover they protect the ball well and the Rams are prone to TO's especially giving the ball up on steals, Can the Rams duplicate in any form their performance against UMass??
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 3 months ago

How many games did Cox/Yurview broadcast per season? Certainly was not close to all of them.
all the home ones that we were at already anyways
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Obadiah wrote: 3 months ago Despite 3-0, I am a bit skeptical about this Rams team against the Bonnies. SBU has strengths - 3 point and FT shooting - which are much better than URI. Moreover they protect the ball well and the Rams are prone to TO's especially giving the ball up on steals, Can the Rams duplicate in any form their performance against UMass??
URI has a much better coach.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

I hope so! But your track record of "NO DOUBT" predictions does not give me much confidence! :D We definitely got a shot though.

But your track record of "NO DOUBT" predictions does not give me much confidence....

NO DOUBT !.. LOL

but i have been much better this year :))
2 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

It looks as if Venning is not conditioned very well. Averaging only 24 min. a game and there are three other players that have more rebounds(Pride, Assa E and Barry Evans.) Hopefully our three bigs can put a lot of pressure on him, run him down the court etc and tired him out for crunch time. Venning also leads the team in TO, another good sign to keep the pressure on him.

If we can do this and keep their 3 pt shooting under control,( Mika-Adams Woods, 48%; Pride,45%;Flowers,46%) we should win.

Also, is there any word on Weston? Is he available?
Last edited by McRam 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

McRam wrote: 3 months ago It looks as if Venning is not conditioned very well. Averaging only 24 min. a game and there are three other players that have more rebounds(Pride, Assa E and Barry Evans.) Hopefully our three bigs can put a lot of pressure on him, run him down the court etc and tired him out for crunch time. Venning also leads the team in TO, another good sign to keep the pressure on him.

If we can do this and keep their 3 pt shooting under control, we should win.

Also, is there any word on Weston? Is he available?
I wonder if we'll get any word on injuries. I'm wondering if Luis is 100% playing as well.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

1 hour

1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

rhodysurf wrote: 3 months ago

No one has Cox anymore, that shit is trash and would mean like 10 people could watch URI games.

I cut cox cable bait about 6 years ago but still have them for the Interwebs. YouTubeTV is a far superior product.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Anyone finding the game on the Varsity App? I don’t see it.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Gametime boys and girls. Let's get this one!!!!!!!
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

KevanBoyles wrote: 3 months ago Anyone finding the game on the Varsity App? I don’t see it.
No audio for this one. Stone and Silk weren't able to travel. Their flight was cancelled due to weather.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

KevanBoyles wrote: 3 months ago Anyone finding the game on the Varsity App? I don’t see it.
No audio for this one. Stone and Silk weren't able to travel. Their flight was cancelled due to weather.
Thank you.
1 x