Conference Realignment

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Conference Realignment

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 months ago
theblueram wrote: 3 months ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 months ago

Did she say why she was looking forward to Loyola Chicago most?
Lou Malnati's?
I'm curious if there was something special about Loyola and/or Chicago or if this was an "I'm most looking forward to our next game" type of answer
It’s a good question and thought but I believe it was excited to visit Chicago.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 months ago Getting legitimately mad about stuff you 100% make up in your own head is, uh, very weird.

But that’s just me.
I think it's more about getting mad about the leadership of the conference not being able to have identified that opportunity when it was clearly evident.

I don't have the time or energy to go back in all the posts on here - but I guarantee that exact scenario was brought up on here 10 years ago and discussed. The larger point being that if a bunch of jamoke fans on an internet message board can think of that, why isn't the leadership of the A10 thinking like that at the same time? And if they're not, why do they still have their jobs?

Whether or not it was a reality is immaterial. The Big East wasn't a reality either until Dave Gavitt invented it. You either have visionary leadership or you don't.

With how realignment continues to shake out, it's been long past time to recognize that the A10 needs leadership that thinks and acts differently, because this conference continues to sink further and further into irrelevancy, bringing our program with it.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Blue Man wrote: 3 months ago
Rhody15 wrote: 3 months ago Getting legitimately mad about stuff you 100% make up in your own head is, uh, very weird.

But that’s just me.
I think it's more about getting mad about the leadership of the conference not being able to have identified that opportunity when it was clearly evident.

I don't have the time or energy to go back in all the posts on here - but I guarantee that exact scenario was brought up on here 10 years ago and discussed. The larger point being that if a bunch of jamoke fans on an internet message board can think of that, why isn't the leadership of the A10 thinking like that at the same time? And if they're not, why do they still have their jobs?

Whether or not it was a reality is immaterial. The Big East wasn't a reality either until Dave Gavitt invented it. You either have visionary leadership or you don't.

With how realignment continues to shake out, it's been long past time to recognize that the A10 needs leadership that thinks and acts differently, because this conference continues to sink further and further into irrelevancy, bringing our program with it.
Doesn't it just take a sit down with media? Like pitch a new conference scenario and what the worth is?
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

But that’s just me.

Doesn't it just take a sit down with media? Like pitch a new conference scenario and what the worth is?
Yes, backdoor meetings should happen, even now. Given how we feel about Battle Ax, let's let her be commissioner of what remains and let a newer, better conference find competent leadership.

I know it's unlikely but I hope there are breakaway talk happening and URI is a part of it.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I would suggest any evolution of the current conference will not come from the internal administration A-10 cast of folks. But rather from visionary basketball centric break away folks from the external. Meaning some current Presidents, ADs, coaches to get the conversations going, is our leadership up to the task? Doubt it. Moreover, are they even in the need to make such a change?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

RhodyKyle wrote: 3 months ago

Yes, backdoor meetings should happen, even now. Given how we feel about Battle Ax, let's let her be commissioner of what remains and let a newer, better conference find competent leadership.

I know it's unlikely but I hope there are breakaway talk happening and URI is a part of it.
I seriously doubt that conversation is happening.
The A10 is currently ranked 8th and will probably finish in the top 10.
The council just approved a new media contract, I don't think the current programs are unhappy with the conference.

Like I said, I still wouldn't be surprised if a couple of our top tier teams bolt for the BE if given the opportunity.

Right now, I am more concerned with our program and Rhody being contenders once again.
I have faith in this staff and feel confident about our rebuild.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Jersey77 wrote: 3 months ago

The council just approved a new media contract, I don't think the current programs are unhappy with the conference.

Like I said, I still wouldn't be surprised if a couple of our top tier teams bolt for the BE if given the opportunity.

Right now, I am more concerned with our program and Rhody being contenders once again.
Yeah, it's why I said it's unlikely. Just trying to dream.

Awhile ago, RJ asked me if I'd be ok with URI join the MWC (in a vacuum - basketball only) and I said yes without a doubt or second guess. Look at how the MWC has trended the last few years. I envy them.

But I agree with your ultimate point. URI should focus on URI and give Archie what he needs to succeed and it will all sort itself out in the end.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

You should have faith and be confident in a team whose first L in 2024 will be in the NCAAT.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 months ago

You should have faith and be confident in a team whose first L in 2024 will be in the NCAAT.
All right, that's what I am talking about. :)
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Problem being the battle axe just signed a new contract. We had a chance, now we’re stuck.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

But that’s just me.

I recall at the time that the old big east broke up Jon Rothstein suggested in a tweet that the A10 should invite the 7 catholic schools to the A10 to form what would have been a 21 team league. (At that point in time, Temple and Charlotte were leaving to bring the A10 down from a one year of 16 teams to 14 - this was before Butler and Xavier bolted for the new Big East. This was before GMU and Davidson had joined (though I don't recall if the 2 of them were already scheduled to join in a future year or if in reaction to X/Butler leaving - though I'm pretty sure Davidson was a replacement for Charlotte). Not quite what Blue Man suggested, but probably better.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I recall no other speculation, other than this alleged Rothstein comment, about the thought of a merger. Anyone with some contact with the last three URI AD's would know how much disdain PC and the Big East had for URI and the A-10 to make such a merger idea implausible. The BE approach has always been to peck away. Also, keep in mind that the Big East made PC, not true of URI and the A-10 and no one was going to trifle with that PC advantage
1 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

Obadiah wrote: 3 months ago I recall no other speculation, other than this alleged Rothstein comment, about the thought of a merger. Anyone with some contact with the last three URI AD's would know how much disdain PC and the Big East had for URI and the A-10 to make such a merger idea implausible. The BE approach has always been to peck away. Also, keep in mind that the Big East made PC, not true of URI and the A-10 and no one was going to trifle with that PC advantage
The Big East made PC ? Has to be one of the most idiotic posts I've seen on this board. Ever hear of Ernie D ,Marvin Barnes, Lenny Wilkins , Jimmy Walker. Multile Nit championships b4 Big East which were a big deal back in those days . Not to mention a final four. Most people in the know would say PC had much more success b4 the Big East.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Obadiah wrote: 3 months ago I recall no other speculation, other than this alleged Rothstein comment, about the thought of a merger. Anyone with some contact with the last three URI AD's would know how much disdain PC and the Big East had for URI and the A-10 to make such a merger idea implausible. The BE approach has always been to peck away. Also, keep in mind that the Big East made PC, not true of URI and the A-10 and no one was going to trifle with that PC advantage
PC was one school and they were one that hadn't been to the tournament in 9 years and hadn't won a game in the tournament in 16. They had the least power they've ever had in the conference when that conference was its most vulnerable. If it was ever going to happen it was going to be then, but our conference leadership has no vision
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
woodennickel1
ARD

The Big East was never going to merge with the A10 and take in programs like Lasalle , Fordham and Georgia Washington. Much easier to just take the few programs they needed.
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

I have only heard of one realignment rumor with the Big East adding St Mary’s, Gonzaga,Dayton, St Louis and another team which I can't remember. Personally hope they don't go that way but if that is what is going to get them a better TV contract that is most likely wh a t they will do.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

I never said it was plausible or going to happen. I simply wrote that Jon Rothstein tweeted that the A10 should offer the 7 BE schools to join. I'll dig up the tweet if I find time.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

steviep123 wrote: 3 months ago I never said it was plausible or going to happen. I simply wrote that Jon Rothstein tweeted that the A10 should offer the 7 BE schools to join. I'll dig up the tweet if I find time.
Sorry stevie for not being articulate enough, because my plausible reference was not directed at you but everyone around and interested at that time.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

woodennickel1 wrote: 3 months ago
The Big East made PC ? Has to be one of the most idiotic posts I've seen on this board. Ever hear of Ernie D ,Marvin Barnes, Lenny Wilkins , Jimmy Walker. Multile Nit championships b4 Big East which were a big deal back in those days . Not to mention a final four. Most people in the know would say PC had much more success b4 the Big East.
For the record, everyone knows about PC glorious success previous to the formation of the BE. But you cannot use 50+ years experience to explain everything. My comment was more pointed to the modern era and a big picture view and in that scenario the Big East Conference is way more important to PC's success than the A-10 is to URI. Face facts, without the Big East, PC is Holy Cross. Or should I go into that saga with Heinsohn, Cousy, etc. to match your Ernie D, Lenny Wilkins, etc. nostalgia.
4 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Holy cross , honestly a great example.
1 x
GO RAMS
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

woodennickel1 wrote: 3 months ago The Big East was never going to merge with the A10 and take in programs like Lasalle , Fordham and Georgia Washington. Much easier to just take the few programs they needed.
And that is exactly what it did. The original Big East Catholic-7 would never have broken off from the league had they not been promised a big tv contract from Fox Sports. That gave them the impetus to leave and gave them the leverage to call the shots in creating their new conference. The departing Old BE Catholic schools, as they had done many times in the past (Villanova/Pitt/Rutgers/WVU/Va Tech/Temple), then lured some A-10 members to join them. Xavier and Butler who then were coming off some recent and consistent success were selected for that performance along with being located in big city markets (Cincinnati and Indianapolis) the new league wanted included. The new league had zero interest in small schools with small gyms in cities where it already had a presence.

Rothstein's opining about the A-10 adding the Catholic-7 never had any real legs as these old BE schools had a better deal in hand from Fox than anything the A-10 could ever offer.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

RF1 wrote: 3 months ago
woodennickel1 wrote: 3 months ago The Big East was never going to merge with the A10 and take in programs like Lasalle , Fordham and Georgia Washington. Much easier to just take the few programs they needed.
And that is exactly what it did. The original Big East Catholic-7 would never have broken off from the league had they not been promised a big tv contract from Fox Sports. That gave them the impetus to leave and gave them the leverage to call the shots in creating their new conference. The departing Old BE Catholic schools, as they had done many times in the past (Villanova/Pitt/Rutgers/WVU/Va Tech/Temple), then lured some A-10 members to join them. Xavier and Butler who then were coming off some recent and consistent success were selected for that performance along with being located in big city markets (Cincinnati and Indianapolis) the new league wanted included. The new league had zero interest in small schools with small gyms in cities where it already had a presence.

Rothstein's opining about the A-10 adding the Catholic-7 never had any real legs as these old BE schools had a better deal in hand from Fox than anything the A-10 could ever offer.
Again, I never said it was plausible - only that Rothstein suggested it...also it was right at the beginning before there was any (external) talk of a Fox deal or anything. It was likely not serious and even without Xavier leaving the Big East wouldn't have allowed URI, St. Joe's, GW, etc join with other teams in the same area.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 months ago Holy cross , honestly a great example.
And a fantastic "shots fired" as well :lol:
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

100%
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unless someone with vision or balls went to Fox with additional programs combined and got an even better offer.

We lack those in our conference’s leadership, so we continue to suffer.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

I suggest Our President and AD step up to fill the leadership void. Then again maybe don’t see the need for different league?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unless someone with vision or balls went to Fox with additional programs combined and got an even better offer.

We lack those in our conference’s leadership, so we continue to suffer.
We were never going to be a part of that discussion.
Wasn't going to happen and didn't happen.
Fox had zero interest in us, unless someone has proof otherwise.
We didn't fit the profile of the Catholic 7.

Aside from our bad finishes the last several years, not sure how we are suffering.

We are in contriol of our our own destiny.
Right now we have a great staff in place, and I am expecting good things going forward.
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Obadiah wrote: 3 months ago
woodennickel1 wrote: 3 months ago
For the record, everyone knows about PC glorious success previous to the formation of the BE. But you cannot use 50+ years experience to explain everything. My comment was more pointed to the modern era and a big picture view and in that scenario the Big East Conference is way more important to PC's success than the A-10 is to URI. Face facts, without the Big East, PC is Holy Cross. Or should I go into that saga with Heinsohn, Cousy, etc. to match your Ernie D, Lenny Wilkins, etc. nostalgia.
Of course in this day and age you need a conference but that's not what you Initially said and yes the Big Eastbis more important to PC because it's a better conference. Just as if uri was in Big East it would be the same.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Sorry, I stand by what I said while PC was a good program before the Big East, the formation of the league made PC into what it is today. That is not the case with URI and the A-10.

Dave Gavitt was a visionary, not because he conceived a conference based on media markets, but because he saw the unique conditions in northeast college athletics - basketball and football- that did not exist elsewhere, the existence of so many private and Catholic schools, the low profile of public universities, and the absence of any dominating conference. He saw the opportunity and given PC athletics profile at the time he pushed for a basketball centered conference. He saw clearly that PC - a small, not well resourced Catholic school was not positioned favorably to continue its success on the national level without the rivalries and financial support that comes with conference affiliation and that was driven home in his last season, his only losing season at PC. The PC dilemma was furthered evidenced that in the first years of the BE, PC experienced five out of six losing seasons before Pitino came to the rescue. Don't get so excited, the BE made a lot of schools, but you need to have big picture to understand that and not rolling around in the weeds.
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Latest on Big East expansion talk Val Ackerman:
https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=5a1c72a8 ... BocA&ntb=1

"Nothing on the horizon at this point. A number of schools have approached us about being part of the Big East. Our presidents, at this point, have not wanted to add schools. So, we stay at 11. It's really as simple as that."

"It would take the right school to add," Ackerman added. "And you want it to be for all the right reasons, including what they add from a basketball standpoint, is their school mission in line with our other schools? How does the financial piece of it work out? So, for now, the decision our board has made has been to stay at 11."

Also states that Gonzaga rumors have quieted down.

As we know, things can also change come March/April.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Jersey77 wrote: 3 months ago Latest on Big East expansion talk Val Ackerman:

"Nothing on the horizon at this point. A number of schools have approached us about being part of the Big East. Our presidents, at this point, have not wanted to add schools. So, we stay at 11. It's really as simple as that."

"It would take the right school to add," Ackerman added. "And you want it to be for all the right reasons, including what they add from a basketball standpoint, is their school mission in line with our other schools? How does the financial piece of it work out? So, for now, the decision our board has made has been to stay at 11."

Wow. Is that what leadership and understanding your place in the college basketball landscape sounds like?
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

I wonder if the Gonzaga part is because the B12 has taken the lead in the next Gonzaga conference. B12 comes and goes with their desire to add Gonzaga but it seems like their Commissioner really wants to add them.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Wow. Is that what leadership and understanding your place in the college basketball landscape sounds like?
I could imagine that some of those schools that approached them could have included Dayton, SlU, or VCU, but as stated they were turned down by the presidents/board.

Good for us, at least for now.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 3 months ago I would suggest any evolution of the current conference will not come from the internal administration A-10 cast of folks. But rather from visionary basketball centric break away folks from the external. Meaning some current Presidents, ADs, coaches to get the conversations going, is our leadership up to the task? Doubt it. Moreover, are they even in the need to make such a change?
Is this crazy?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I wonder if the Gonzaga part is because the B12 has taken the lead in the next Gonzaga conference. B12 comes and goes with their desire to add Gonzaga but it seems like their Commissioner really wants to add them.
The WCC just added Washington State and Oregon State as affiliate members in 12 sports including basketball.

I never really got the impression that Gonzaga had any serious interest in joining the BE.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The WCC just added Washington State and Oregon State as affiliate members in 12 sports including basketball.

I never really got the impression that Gonzaga had any serious interest in joining the BE.

From the Article re Washington State and Oregon State

Here are some more of the details:

The Cougars and Beavers will play a full WCC basketball schedule.
The WCC schedule will increase from 16 to 18 or 20 games and the WCC tournament will be restructured.
Their games count in the standings which means they will play in WCC tournament.
Both have automatic qualifying rights to be conference representatives in the NCAA Tournament if they were to win.
The NCAA Tournament shares are still being worked out.
This is a chess move by new WCC commissioner Stu Jackson over previous WCC commissioner and current MWC commissioner Gloria Nevarez. It improves the overall quality of basketball competition in the WCC.

But it’s all temporary, let’s not forget. Who knows what’s going to end up happening with the Pac-2 and if they somehow absorb some programs from the Mountain West. And how does this affect Gonzaga’s discussions about joining the Big East or the Big-12? Does say Grand Canyon or Seattle U join the West Coast Conference as well?

What I’m looking forward to the most is bringing back Gonzaga’s battles with in-state rival, Washington State. I missed when that was a normal part of the non-conference schedule for the Zags. The last time the two programs played each other was in 2015. Also, I’m very excited to see Kyle Smith make his return to the Hilltop to face off against the USF Dons.

https://www.slipperstillfits.com/platfo ... conference
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 3 months ago
section(105) wrote: 3 months ago I would suggest any evolution of the current conference will not come from the internal administration A-10 cast of folks. But rather from visionary basketball centric break away folks from the external. Meaning some current Presidents, ADs, coaches to get the conversations going, is our leadership up to the task? Doubt it. Moreover, are they even in the need to make such a change?
Is this crazy?
I haven't gotten the impression that any of the top tier A10 programs had interest in breaking away to form a new conference.
Not sure they see the need at this point.
If anyone has heard differently, please share.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

I didn't think the BE was serious either, given the travel. The B12 on the other hand....

Correct me if I'm mistaken but wasn't the addition of Wazzou and Beaver Fever only for 2 years?
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Is this crazy?
I haven't gotten the impression that any of the top tier A10 programs had interest in breaking away to form a new conference.
There isn't really a looming threat, like there was for the Florida State move to the SEC, because it doesn't seem like there is a natural fit. The top teams are Dayton and VCU - neither one has D-I football. The Big East is there as a basketball only option, but as good as Dayton has been, they're not a year in, year out Top 25 team. I think that's the kind of program - Gonzaga - that gets the existing 11 members willing to take in another school. If you're not jumping up to that tier, it hardly seems to make sense to jump from the A-10 to the Mountain West, MVC, American or WCC, the next closest conferences to us in rankings this year.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I didn't think the BE was serious either, given the travel. The B12 on the other hand....

Correct me if I'm mistaken but wasn't the addition of Wazzou and Beaver Fever only for 2 years?
Yeah I think, so far only a temporary affiliate member, same with MWC and football.
I guess until they sort through the financial situation and litigation with the Pac12.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

SGreenwell wrote: 3 months ago
Is this crazy?
There isn't really a looming threat, like there was for the Florida State move to the SEC, because it doesn't seem like there is a natural fit. The top teams are Dayton and VCU - neither one has D-I football. The Big East is there as a basketball only option, but as good as Dayton has been, they're not a year in, year out Top 25 team. I think that's the kind of program - Gonzaga - that gets the existing 11 members willing to take in another school. If you're not jumping up to that tier, it hardly seems to make sense to jump from the A-10 to the Mountain West, MVC, American or WCC, the next closest conferences to us in rankings this year.
Yes SG don't see that happening, not a match.

Unlike some others, I am not so down on the A10, don't think the presidents are either.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unlike some others, I am not so down on the A10, don't think the presidents are either.
Agree, whether they are “gym schools”, schools that spend their athletic $$ differently, value the other than basketball student athlete programs, etc. it seems A–10 schools are generally OK with current A-10. Internet makes for great opportunities for fans to pipe dream for there school to go bigger for basketball, and perhaps. Not seeing the full picture of how individual schools and saying things like, “these schools should……….”.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Agreed - the Big East understands that the more mouths you have to feed, the less for everyone else.

They are in a position of strength and they nailed realignment. 10 programs that are all good/good enough, high level arenas, investments, and programs that care about basketball.

For some reason DePaul still gets to ride the conference coattails, but they do give the Big East a recruiting foothold in Chicago. I'm sure they'd love to trade DePaul for a Dayton - but I'm sure Xavier doesn't want the recruiting battle 45 mins to the north.

Otherwise, every single program in the Big East has been to the NCAA at least twice since realignment. They've won more games than I could bother to count, 4 final fours and 3 national championships.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Agreed - the Big East understands that the more mouths you have to feed, the less for everyone else.

They are in a position of strength and they nailed realignment. 10 programs that are all good/good enough, high level arenas, investments, and programs that care about basketball.

For some reason DePaul still gets to ride the conference coattails, but they do give the Big East a recruiting foothold in Chicago. I'm sure they'd love to trade DePaul for a Dayton - but I'm sure Xavier doesn't want the recruiting battle 45 mins to the north.

Otherwise, every single program in the Big East has been to the NCAA at least twice since realignment. They've won more games than I could bother to count, 4 final fours and 3 national championships.
Yes Blue Man it is very easy to be jealous of them and what they have accomplished.
We have been the basketball red-headed stepchild to them.

But for what we are the A10 isn't so terrible.
The teams just need to do a better job in the OOC and take advantage of the opportunities and avoid those dreaded losses.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Yes Blue Man it is very easy to be jealous of them and what they have accomplished.

The teams just need to do a better job in the OOC and take advantage of the opportunities and avoid those dreaded losses.
Nah the A10 is terrible.

It's not jealousy, it's anger because those were A10 programs, the best of which was a A10 member for almost 2 decades. And our leadership - who for some reason is still in place - did a horrendous job in incentivizing them to stay, finding suitable replacements, or being inventive enough to thrive in the re-alignment era. While other conferences that we were similar to or ahead of, surpass us.

Yeah our good teams need to do a better job in the OOC, but you can't tell me that our bubble teams - Dayton the last 2 years and 4 years ago, St Louis the last 2 years, VCU 2 and 4 years ago, Richmond 5 years ago, etc - they'd all be in with better metrics aka having really bad conference teams on their schedule.

I didn't look too deep across the conference - but those examples represent at a minimum $16M to the conference that we lost out on because having horrendous Q3 and Q4 teams on their schedule.

This "awesome" new TV contract didn't release any financial data - only the "trust us it's a HUGE increase" tagline.

And then remember that number has to be split now 15 times, and I'm sure soon 16 times since there's no shortage of historically underfunded, underperforming programs the battleaxe is thirsty to add to our conference.

We're in the midst of a steady decline, from a high of 6 in 2015 (coming off the wave of having a top flight conference with Butler and Xavier), to 3 for 4 years, then down to 2 for the subsequent 3 years, and now we're a 1 bid league - both last year and probably this year as well.

That's not the definition of a good conference. That's a 1 bid. Who cares if our conference ranking is top 10 if you can only get 1 team with a double digit seed into the dance? It's like a Baron team - good enough for some excitement, but not good enough to accomplish anything meaningful.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Yes, key words are “for what we are……”. Just need to be better where we are, take are of that, be poised and flexible for reacting to any conference changes. I have to think any moves for us will be a step down, not up. I am sure this is very distasteful to many here, but think this is the path down the road. No?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Nah the A10 is terrible.

It's not jealousy, it's anger because those were A10 programs, the best of which was a A10 member for almost 2 decades. And our leadership - who for some reason is still in place - did a horrendous job in incentivizing them to stay, finding suitable replacements, or being inventive enough to thrive in the re-alignment era. While other conferences that we were similar to or ahead of, surpass us.

Yeah our good teams need to do a better job in the OOC, but you can't tell me that our bubble teams - Dayton the last 2 years and 4 years ago, St Louis the last 2 years, VCU 2 and 4 years ago, Richmond 5 years ago, etc - they'd all be in with better metrics aka having really bad conference teams on their schedule.

I didn't look too deep across the conference - but those examples represent at a minimum $16M to the conference that we lost out on because having horrendous Q3 and Q4 teams on their schedule.

This "awesome" new TV contract didn't release any financial data - only the "trust us it's a HUGE increase" tagline.

And then remember that number has to be split now 15 times, and I'm sure soon 16 times since there's no shortage of historically underfunded, underperforming programs the battleaxe is thirsty to add to our conference.

We're in the midst of a steady decline, from a high of 6 in 2015 (coming off the wave of having a top flight conference with Butler and Xavier), to 3 for 4 years, then down to 2 for the subsequent 3 years, and now we're a 1 bid league - both last year and probably this year as well.

That's not the definition of a good conference. That's a 1 bid. Who cares if our conference ranking is top 10 if you can only get 1 team with a double digit seed into the dance? It's like a Baron team - good enough for some excitement, but not good enough to accomplish anything meaningful.
Blue Man I know we will always disagree on this issue and of course Loyola.

Don't get hung up on the financials because neither of us were involved with that decision nor are we accountable for the balance sheet.
I don't think the presidents and AD's were totally ignorant to all the facts and of course they weighed all the pluses against the negatives. We didn't sit in on those meetings, so we have to trust their judgement and it seemed to be a very easy one for them.

Teams leave and we never had the money or the drawing power of the BE blue-blood programs to keep them.

So many conferences have been affected and poached, shit happens.

The P12 is gone, they arrogantly declined an ESPN $30M/school contract even after UCLA and USC decided to leave.
The B12 loses top programs Texas and Oklahoma to the B10.
Then they poach the AAC who in turn poaches the C-USA, etc, etc.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Yes, key words are “for what we are……”. Just need to be better where we are, take are of that, be poised and flexible for reacting to any conference changes. I have to think any moves for us will be a step down, not up. I am sure this is very distasteful to many here, but think this is the path down the road. No?
Problem is, it is hard to keep everyone happy.
There are just so many really good quality programs, so you do the best you can in trying to reload.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Nah the A10 is terrible.

Blue Man I know we will always disagree on this issue and of course Loyola.

Don't get hung up on the financials because neither of us were involved with that decision nor are we accountable for the balance sheet.
I don't think the presidents and AD's were totally ignorant to all the facts and of course they weighed all the pluses against the negatives. We didn't sit in on those meetings, so we have to trust their judgement and it seemed to be a very easy one for them.

Teams leave and we never had the money or the drawing power of the BE blue-blood programs to keep them.

So many conferences have been affected and poached, shit happens.

The P12 is gone, they arrogantly declined an ESPN $30M/school contract even after UCLA and USC decided to leave.
The B12 loses top programs Texas and Oklahoma to the B10.
Then they poach the AAC who in turn poaches the C-USA, etc, etc.
Just because the "unanimous" voting is what the public sees, doesn't mean that's the reality.

The financials are really all that matter because that's why re-alignment is happening.

I dislike the defeatist attitude that "we never had the money or drawing power" to keep programs.

The Catholic 7 was dogshit. Villanova looked like they were coming down to Earth. Marquette lost Buzz Williams, PC was trash. Seton Hall was middling average. St Johns was irrelevant. Georgetown was a perpetual NCAA flame-out. DePaul is Fordham.

The best program in the new Big East was Xavier. An A10 school. The 2nd best add was Butler, an A10 school at the time.

We had the programs - any inventive leader could've thrown a multitude of offers about restructuring the NCAA payouts, the scheduling, etc - OR GONE AND PITCHED A BETTER TV CONTRACT OPTION TO BRING IN MORE MONEY TO THE CONFERENCE.

But we did not.

And this is less about Loyola, and far more about La Salle, Duquesne, Fordham, and George Mason who've contributed nothing but still exist here.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Blue Man wrote: 3 months ago We had the programs - any inventive leader could've thrown a multitude of offers about restructuring the NCAA payouts, the scheduling, etc - OR GONE AND PITCHED A BETTER TV CONTRACT OPTION TO BRING IN MORE MONEY TO THE CONFERENCE.

But we did not.

And this is less about Loyola, and far more about La Salle, Duquesne, Fordham, and George Mason who've contributed nothing but still exist here.
Just curious, what/who is the source for the claim that the A10 did not try to do any of these things at the time?
1 x